RECOMMENDED/FAVORITE KDRAMAS (ask for suggestions here)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 15th, '11, 18:24

Yes, let's not go personal. Have beer and crackers (I'll join), enjoy new dramas, rewatches and other shows.

gilnis
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gilnis » Nov 15th, '11, 18:44

Neliets, I've started to watch Que Sera Sera just because you often recommend or mention that drama and I really really like it, so thank you. :-)

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Nov 15th, '11, 19:49

Ah I can't wait to watch Que Sera Sera now.

I'm surprised, that's the first time I ever heard anyone speak negatively of 49 Days. I thought it was going to be cheesy but it wasn't, there was good acting (especially from Lee Yo Won) and the plot was unique compared to most k-dramas.

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Nov 15th, '11, 19:51

Ethlenn wrote:Yes, let's not go personal. Have beer and crackers (I'll join), enjoy new dramas, rewatches and other shows.
Beer and crackers? Who does that? Try beer and jerky or dried squid, so much better!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 15th, '11, 19:56

I do that. Problem? Don't have the luxury of asian grocery to buy me dried squid.And I hate jerky. But beer and tiny rings of toasted, crunchy bread and dips... :mrgreen:

You'll need beer to finish suicidal behavior ridden Que Sera Sera.

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Nov 15th, '11, 20:00

Hmm ok LOL. Which beer goes best with Que Sera Sera?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 15th, '11, 20:16

Hmm, Enough-To-Knock-You-Down or any good european ones like: Let-Them-Kill-Themselves-While-I-Watch, or Pilsner.
Don't mix it up with alcohol used to watch Twilight with. :mrgreen:

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Nov 15th, '11, 20:22

haha not a big Heineken fan, it bloats me too quickly. Haven't tried Pilsner. Shock Top is a pretty good full strength beer :)

Some of my Asian friends like to mix Shock Top with orange juice, it tastes surprisingly good that way. Just putting that out there lol

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 15th, '11, 20:27

As a proud <STRIKE>alcoholic</STRIKE> European, I refuse to drink non-european beer. Besides, regular stores don't have them.

Yup, mixing beer with rapsberry juice or cinnamon is also good^^
Last edited by Ethlenn on Nov 15th, '11, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Nov 15th, '11, 20:29

Shock Top is a Belgium beer, Belgium is in Europe LOL

And I have never seen a Giant or Blooms or Harris Teeter ect. that doesn't stock Shock Top :D

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 15th, '11, 20:31

Google said it's an American brewer, and google doesn't lie!! :whistling:

I would have never guessed Belgium is in Europe, I would say - Oceania?

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Nov 15th, '11, 20:35

Oh wow it's actually American! What the helllll LOL

I just assumed it was Belgian because the only Shock Top I find in stores is the Belgian-White one, plus it tastes absolutely nothing like the typical watery American beers :/ What a shocker! haha

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 15th, '11, 20:47

You learn something every day, yas.
I tried to drink American beer once, and my friend bought me "Lite" version cause she was on diet. I swear, this was a water they cleaned the beer barrels with, not a beer.

back to topic - Kkotminam Ramyun Shop, really worth watching as for ep 5^^

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Nov 16th, '11, 14:28

SpankThatAss wrote:Ah I can't wait to watch Que Sera Sera now.

I'm surprised, that's the first time I ever heard anyone speak negatively of 49 Days. I thought it was going to be cheesy but it wasn't, there was good acting (especially from Lee Yo Won) and the plot was unique compared to most k-dramas.
huh. I liked 49 days, too, but up to a point. Like 12th episode or such. Then it lost it's point.

Ethlenn, damn, I know quite a bit about alchohol but you seem to know almost everything, especially when it comes to mixing them :D

But beer with dramas is something so damn good.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Nov 16th, '11, 15:49

One of the reasons to like shallow dramas. Because you don't miss the point even if you are intoxicated^^.

Btw. which dramas about celebrities do you know. I have watched some of them or at least read their synopsis. Here are the ones i know of:

My GF is a Gumiho - well its a drama about an aspiring actor, so there is not much celibrity-"feeling, but it still qualifies for my list
That Fool
Full House
Dream High- not my kind of drama, but still a drama about idols
Star's Lover
You're Beautiful
Worlds Within
On Air
The Greatest Love
My Princess, - not really about an entertainment-celibrity, but still qualifies
Last Scandal
Lawyers of Korea - the star is the second lead and its more or less not really important
Get Karl
Mary stayed out all night
Myung Wol the Spy
Oh! My Lady

Does anyone know other dramas (you can also name j,tw, but this is a krama-forum...but still, if nobod has something agains it, you can also name tw or j)?

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Nov 16th, '11, 16:30

@Silverman -
Have you seen MMM? It was superb and the music rocked.
BOF
SKKS
The President was actually pretty good even though I only saw the first half... I need to finish it
Sparkling is a good drama. I am watching it now.
Secret Garden was very good
Baby-faced beauty - I still have to finish it. It started out a bit slow but it was getting better.
What's Up Fox - Very good drama that I couldn't stop watching. I think I did a marathon on this one.

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Nov 16th, '11, 17:29

haha interesting. Now lets make a list for dramas you have to watch while sober LOL

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Nov 16th, '11, 17:55

SpankThatAss wrote:haha interesting. Now lets make a list for dramas you have to watch while sober LOL
The most period-dramas, like The Princess Man...well at least if you are interested in the political plot. if you are in in for romance, then you can also watch these dramas, while drinking beer. Perhaps the j x-files...

While we are at it, we can also list dramas, where you have to be wasted :whistling:

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Nov 16th, '11, 19:05

Silverman wrote:
SpankThatAss wrote:haha interesting. Now lets make a list for dramas you have to watch while sober LOL
The most period-dramas, like The Princess Man...well at least if you are interested in the political plot. if you are in in for romance, then you can also watch these dramas, while drinking beer. Perhaps the j x-files...

While we are at it, we can also list dramas, where you have to be wasted :whistling:
Aww, no I finally understand why I never managed to get into Princess Man or any other Saeguk much...I just never tried while I was sober. Now and seriously, how can you not want to join those Koreans while they're drinking? What's watching drama without beer or wine??

Well and since I'm from a (the) beer country imo. . . YOU DO NOT MIX BEER...and if you do want to mix your beer, it doesn't deserve that name ;) :mrgreen: LOL guess it's the same with vodka...good ones aren't supposed to be mixed

Drama's you can only watch wasted....my list would be endless. But I especially enjoyed My Girlfriend is a Gumiho, Shining Inheritance, My Girl, Full House, Witch Yoo Hee, and You're Beautiful while pissed...didn't manage to bear with them when I tried with less then 2 promille ;)
Oh and some that go well with hard alcohol would be drama like Sorry I Love You, Thank You, The Snow Queen , The Devil, Thousand Days Promise and maybe Bad Guy...well I just realize this list could grow endless...better stop here.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Nov 16th, '11, 20:02

THE beercountry? cmon a lot of countries are proud of their beer and call themselfs the beercountry...england is known for guiness, germany for the octoberfest a.s.o.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 16th, '11, 20:30

Let's keep it shot...I mean short - Europe is a land of beer and wine. :mrgreen:

Although chilean wine is quite good too, but sorry to australian and south-african ones, they taste like sour water.

Maybe we should have alcoholic thread here?

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Nov 16th, '11, 20:58

Keke silverman...that's why I put the (the) in brackets...and yeah, I'm all in for an alcoholic thread...like not what are you watching but what are you drinking to go with today's drama...
keke for me it would be nero d'avola, red wine to go with vampire prosecutor :lol:

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Nov 16th, '11, 21:27

And Australia is wrongfully known for their Fosters, a beer Australians stopped drinking 20 years ago! VB (Victoria Bitter) and Carlton Drought are now the 2 king beers of our blue collared beer drinking nation!

I never mix beer, I'm that intoxicated guy with the Aussie accent saying "Whataya doin mate?! Corona is fa gurls!", but I got a lot of Asian friends and family so I've learnt not to frown on feminine beer tastebuds :P Plus I now live in the US where everyone seems to be a drinking a lite version of a beer that already tastes watered down :scratch:

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 16th, '11, 23:10

Booze talk. I'm not a booze hound myself, but they finally brought Asahi here. And now I don't have money to buy one. Damn it... Fosters is yummy too.

I drink them maybe once a year. Which is as often as I drink alcohol too. Wish I had money for cocktails (forever guttered with that word). I'd like those.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 17th, '11, 00:07

Hm, I try not to mix beer with other alcohol, like drinks or wine, I just stick to one kind of it during one drinking session. But sometimes, when life is extremely cruel to you, I add one shot of cherry vodka to a beer, and nice mood comes faster^^

Yes, in US they have this "lite" version, usual mouthwash is probably stronger than this.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Nov 17th, '11, 15:18

Ethlenn wrote:Hm, I try not to mix beer with other alcohol, like drinks or wine, I just stick to one kind of it during one drinking session. But sometimes, when life is extremely cruel to you, I add one shot of cherry vodka to a beer, and nice mood comes faster^^

Yes, in US they have this "lite" version, usual mouthwash is probably stronger than this.
Ethlenn, you should come to Latvia. Here we got even beer that has 7% and costs around 1 dollar 60 cents for 2 liters. And it's not a mouthwash... hell no. :D I have never tried one, though. I assume that you could die from alcohol poisoning if you drink it too much. :mrgreen:

But here in Latvia, we have sooo many different kinds beers and most of them are very good indeed. Here in Latvia we don't have foreign beers, basically only Latvian. There are few kinds of Russian beer and Carlsberg, which is basically cats piss. No offence. :mrgreen:

And yes, we do need a alcohol thread, Ethlenn!

And while we're on alcohol topic, I'll have some tonight. And here comes the shocker - it's my birthday today.

And I will write something about the topic so I won't be banned or something.
I recommend Midas to almost everyone who is interested in tense politics, economics etc. Very good drama, indeed. I've watched only like 7 episodes but I do love it.

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Nov 17th, '11, 22:02

I actually have very little interest in politics but I still found Midas very interesting and addictive. I just thought I'd put that out there lol

ng0cnguy3n

Post by ng0cnguy3n » Nov 18th, '11, 00:08

SpankThatAss wrote:
I loved Jumong and Chuno too! I recommend Queen Seon Duk!!! (Kim Nam Gil is superb in this! Although you might frown upon the darkness of his character, but I personally like dark and complex characters)

Also check out The Kingdom of the Winds (it's the era of Jumong's son, Yuri) which isn't as good as Jumong but still very good.

Warrior Baek Dong Soo (I wanted to give this drama a 5 out of 5 rating after watching half way, but it slows down towards the end so I gave it 4 out of 5 which is still good obviously)

Emperor of the Sea (which I only just started watching 7 episodes ago but it looks good)
I received a lot of recommendations for Queen Seon Duk but never gave it a try because I didn't want to commit to a 62 episode drama,. So your suggestion was kind of like the last straw. I'm so glad I listened to you because I finally started watching it last Friday and am finished with it already. It was definitely an amazing drama. I would have said it was almost on par with Jumong but I felt it went a bit down hill towards the last 10 episodes. But still, it made me feel the same sort of emotions I had while watching Jumong - anticipation, happiness, excitement, and more.

And yes, Bidam is by far the most complex character I've seen in dramas. I was always trying to figure out which side he was really on, which is partly the reason why I started disliking him since I've always been for the good guys.

Since my last two dramas were both historical dramas, I think I'm going to go back to the light and fun modern ones now. Any suggestions? I haven't been keeping up-to-date on the new dramas. Has there been anything good out recently?

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Nov 18th, '11, 05:52

Glad to hear it! I actually had the opposite impression of the last 10 episodes of QSD though. I loved how it turned into an epic tragic love story.

Bidam is way too complex to just say he's good or bad, but I see him as a victim so I really felt for him. LIke his mother, Mishil, he had a talent for being evil but in his heart he really wanted to be a good guy. It's easy to misunderstand him as pure evil because he had that "I don't give a ****" attitude and a heartles looking smile which only appeared when no one else was smiling, but I think he used that attitude like a defense mechanism to his his pain and fragility behind. His parents abandoned him, his master never acknowledged him, and then at the end he thought the one he gave his heart to tried to kill him :(
Last edited by SpankThatAss on Nov 25th, '11, 21:55, edited 2 times in total.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Nov 25th, '11, 20:35

is there a kdrama or kmovie(i know dramasection, but since im at it...) about time travel? I know of a few j- and kdramas with time travel, but not kdramas.

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Nov 25th, '11, 21:53

Silverman wrote:is there a kdrama or kmovie(i know dramasection, but since im at it...) about time travel? I know of a few j- and kdramas with time travel, but not kdramas.
That was worded in a very convoluted way, the part in brackets and the last sentence didn't make sense.

Anyway I think there's already a thread for the question you're trying to ask http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_73988.htm

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Nov 25th, '11, 22:40

OK i will try to explain :D
"Is there a kmovie or kdrama about time travel?" - i think this part doesn't need an explanation.
(i know dramasection, - i know that this is a thread for dramas and not movies
but since im at it...) - but since I'm asking about a kdrama about time travel, i also can ask about the movies at the same time, so i don't have to make an another topic.

"I know of a few j- and kdramas with time travel," - i wanted to write "j- and tw-dramas"
"but not kdramas" - i don't know, if kdramas about time travel were ever filmed.

ng0cnguy3n

Post by ng0cnguy3n » Nov 26th, '11, 02:27

SpankThatAss wrote:Glad to hear it! I actually had the opposite impression of the last 10 episodes of QSD though. I loved how it turned into an epic tragic love story.

Bidam is way too complex to just say he's good or bad, but I see him as a victim so I really felt for him. LIke his mother, Mishil, he had a talent for being evil but in his heart he really wanted to be a good guy. It's easy to misunderstand him as pure evil because he had that "I don't give a ****" attitude and a heartles looking smile which only appeared when no one else was smiling, but I think he used that attitude like a defense mechanism to his his pain and fragility behind. His parents abandoned him, his master never acknowledged him, and then at the end he thought the one he gave his heart to tried to kill him :(
I didn't feel bad for him though. What happened to him was his own fault. How can you say you love someone when you don't trust them? Deokman was also abandoned by her parents, there were always people after her life, and she's experienced so much more unfortunate incidents in her life. However, she still kept her faith in people.

Just dropped by to say that I ended up watching another historical drama you recommended, Kingdom of the Winds. Definitely another 5 star drama! I was a little annoyed by what happened to the Goguryeo Jumong worked so hard to build into a strong nation but I guess I can understand what happened. I think we have the same taste in dramas though. :D I will give Warrior Baek Dong Soo a try as well. Let me know what you think of Emperor of the Sea! ^^

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Nov 26th, '11, 15:22

ng0cnguy3n wrote:
SpankThatAss wrote:Glad to hear it! I actually had the opposite impression of the last 10 episodes of QSD though. I loved how it turned into an epic tragic love story.

I didn't feel bad for him though. What happened to him was his own fault. How can you say you love someone when you don't trust them? Deokman was also abandoned by her parents, there were always people after her life, and she's experienced so much more unfortunate incidents in her life. However, she still kept her faith in people.

Just dropped by to say that I ended up watching another historical drama you recommended, Kingdom of the Winds. Definitely another 5 star drama! I was a little annoyed by what happened to the Goguryeo Jumong worked so hard to build into a strong nation but I guess I can understand what happened. I think we have the same taste in dramas though. :D I will give Warrior Baek Dong Soo a try as well. Let me know what you think of Emperor of the Sea! ^^
Bidam never experienced love. Deokman grew up with the loving embrace of the woman she regarded as her mother, plus she had the devoted love of Kim Yoo Shin. These kind of experiences can make the heart stronger, but Bidam's heart was fragile. You can't really compare the two. Bidam's darkness made him strong, that's why he embraced it as a defense mechanism to shield himself from being emotionally hurt.

You can say it's all Bidam's fault for having darkness in him, but I think he was a victim of his own darkness. He did not choose to be born with darkness, and all he ever wanted was to be loved which was the only cure for that darkness of his.

ng0cnguy3n

Post by ng0cnguy3n » Nov 27th, '11, 22:37

SpankThatAss wrote:
Bidam never experienced love. Deokman grew up with the loving embrace of the woman she regarded as her mother, plus she had the devoted love of Kim Yoo Shin. These kind of experiences can make the heart stronger, but Bidam's heart was fragile. You can't really compare the two. Bidam's darkness made him strong, that's why he embraced it as a defense mechanism to shield himself from being emotionally hurt.

You can say it's all Bidam's fault for having darkness in him, but I think he was a victim of his own darkness. He did not choose to be born with darkness, and all he ever wanted was to be loved which was the only cure for that darkness of his.
I believe everyone's born with some darkness, it's about whether you choose to suppress it or embrace it. While there are people who fight off doing wrong things, or "evil things", everyday, there are others who don't and engage in these wrongful acts, or "evilness". Bidam wasn't the only one who had darkness in him, he just chose to embrace it and that was his own fault.

I only used Deokman as an example because she's been through so much unfortunate experiences in her life, far more and worst than Bidam. It's true that she did experience love which made her heart stronger in a way but that love was taken away from her, three times ("mom", sister, then "mom" again). She could have very well gave into this darkness that surrounded her afterwards but she used it as motivation to achieve her goals instead.

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Nov 28th, '11, 01:33

ng0cnguy3n wrote:
I believe everyone's born with some darkness, it's about whether you choose to suppress it or embrace it.
We're talking about someone who as a kid killed dozens of helpless starving people in a cave, and then gleefully bragged about it... not everyone is like that. You really think it's just a matter of embracing darkness or light? There are people out there who are such gentle souls that it would be almost impossible for them to embrace killing innocent people with a smile. That's not something anyone can just embrace. And it's the same thing with embracing the light, some people who are such dark souls might find it very hard for them to embrace the light.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we don't have a choice of which path we want to take, but not every one is born on level ground. For someone who has a good heart, the good path will be a easy straight path to him. For someone with a bad heart, the good path might be more of an uphill climb where it's very easy to fall and tumble in the opposite direction. Near the end,
you can say he climbed very high up the hill towards the good path, but just when he was near the top he got pushed down (by the lies, metaphorically speaking) and he fell harddd in the direction that was tragically too easy and too natural for him.

jubies33

Post by jubies33 » Nov 29th, '11, 03:32

Would someone be a dear and help me choose which of these to watch next?

On my short list are:

The princess' man
tree with deep roots
goodbye solo
giant
joseon x-files
la dolce vita
resurrection
my sweet seoul
how to meet the perfect neighbor
white tower
brain
bad family
a man's story
all about eve
all in

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Nov 29th, '11, 19:19

Historical drama addicts - how is Iljimae? Is it good? As many of you know, I am not a fan of historical dramas but I have nothing else left to watch :D And Lee Junki + Han Hyo Joo sounds attempting. ;D

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 29th, '11, 19:34

Iljimae... one of the worst in my sageuk/taeha log. Watch ep 4 only - half-naked Park Shihu beating Junki to the pulp. Best scene in the whole.

Jubies: if you trust me...
The princess' man - watch
tree with deep roots - watch
goodbye solo - slow, but worth watching
giant - watch
joseon x-files - watch
la dolce vita - if you have time
resurrection - if you have time
my sweet seoul - meh, when you have nothing better to do
how to meet the perfect neighbor - surprisingly nice
white tower - if staring at wall seems to be too much, watch
brain - 1st episode was... oh no, it was Shin Hakyun who was great.
bad family - uhmm... you watched all above?
a man's story - don't bother if you have other dramas on list
all about eve - as above
all in - as above

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Nov 29th, '11, 19:45

Ethlenn wrote:Iljimae... one of the worst in my sageuk/taeha log. Watch ep 4 only - half-naked Park Shihu beating Junki to the pulp. Best scene in the whole.

Jubies: if you trust me...
The princess' man - watch
tree with deep roots - watch
goodbye solo - slow, but worth watching
giant - watch
joseon x-files - watch
la dolce vita - if you have time
resurrection - if you have time
my sweet seoul - meh, when you have nothing better to do
how to meet the perfect neighbor - surprisingly nice
white tower - if staring at wall seems to be too much, watch
brain - 1st episode was... oh no, it was Shin Hakyun who was great.
bad family - uhmm... you watched all above?
a man's story - don't bother if you have other dramas on list
all about eve - as above
all in - as above
Then just give me the best historical drama you've seen(the most addictive in your opinion). I'll just try that - who knows - maybe I'll become a historical drama freak. :mrgreen: Be it sad or romantic - I don't care, as long as it's addictive: :mrgreen:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 29th, '11, 19:52

Watch Chuno then.
I can't decide which one is the best. Each of them has its own charms and shortcomings, so I usually don't make ranks with dramas, especially period ones.

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Nov 29th, '11, 20:44

jubies33 wrote:Would someone be a dear and help me choose which of these to watch next?

On my short list are:

The princess' man
tree with deep roots
goodbye solo
giant
joseon x-files
la dolce vita
resurrection
my sweet seoul
how to meet the perfect neighbor
white tower
brain
bad family
a man's story
all about eve
all in

Well ,what can Isay !Watch all PSH's dramas period
Joseon x-files is a must watch even if it's just for it's beauty !
La dolce vita :watch it ,it's a dark one !

Bonus :"Once upon a time in sagchori"

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Nov 30th, '11, 09:11

Does anybody have experience with "older" dramas? The most dramas i watched are from 2005 and younger. I watched a few from 2004, but not many and except Successfull story of a bright girl" i haven't watched any dramas from 2003 and older. Does anybody have recommendations? (romcom preferred)

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Dec 1st, '11, 01:32

I'm curious about Rebirth - Next it sounds like it could have one of the most unique plots of any Asian dramas but I've heard it's poorly executed and needed a better cast, director and writer, despite that is it salvageable, unique or same old same old with slightly different wrappings?

ng0cnguy3n

Post by ng0cnguy3n » Dec 2nd, '11, 00:38

SpankThatAss wrote: Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we don't have a choice of which path we want to take, but not every one is born on level ground. For someone who has a good heart, the good path will be a easy straight path to him. For someone with a bad heart, the good path might be more of an uphill climb where it's very easy to fall and tumble in the opposite direction. Near the end,
you can say he climbed very high up the hill towards the good path, but just when he was near the top he got pushed down (by the lies, metaphorically speaking) and he fell harddd in the direction that was tragically too easy and too natural for him.
I do agree that Bidam had a darker soul than others, but are you saying we should be more lenient and forgiving towards bad people just because their walk to the righteous path is harder than others? Now I don't know if you're misunderstanding something, but just because I dislike Bidam's character doesn't mean I don't appreciate his character. He added more depth to the plot of the drama and made it more interesting.

@ Neliets

If you're looking for a good historical drama, Jumong is a must! It has 83 episodes but it is so addicting that you might end up wishing it were even longer like I did. Queen Seon Duk, Hong Gil Dong, The Princess' Man, and the Kingdom of the Winds are also really good. Though the Kingdom of the Winds is the era of Jumong's son/grandson, so you should really watch Jumong first.

And I enjoyed watching Iljimae, but it's definitely not as good as the ones I listed above, in my opinion anyways. ^^

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Dec 2nd, '11, 16:53

Sajen16 wrote:I'm curious about Rebirth - Next it sounds like it could have one of the most unique plots of any Asian dramas but I've heard it's poorly executed and needed a better cast, director and writer, despite that is it salvageable, unique or same old same old with slightly different wrappings?
Well ,I thought it was unique too and it is, I mean the concept is unique but how it was developped wasnt that good, plus the main actress was so annoying, hated her ,I skipped 2 episodes and watched the final one just to get an idea,that's it, watch it if you have nothing better or just watch the first episodes to feed your curiosity! :cheers:

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Dec 3rd, '11, 02:10

what can you tell me about Friend, Our Legend, I know there is a movie version by the same director but other than that I know nothing, I can't remember ever seeing anyone talk about it good or bad

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Dec 3rd, '11, 10:38

I haven't watched it myself, but i heard its like the 2009-version of "Paradise Farm"(high expectations and hype, but was disappointing or didn't reach the expectations).

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Dec 5th, '11, 21:23

Neliets wrote:
So save me and give me some decent recommendations. Criteria :
1)No historical dramas
2) no 30+ episode dramas
3) Romance/drama(the sad ones)
4) But no love stories with ill people(like eternal illness, cancer or smth)

Basically, something like A Love To Kill, Sorry, I Love You, Que Sera Sera, Resurrection etc.
Come on, give me something!
Dream High, Sweet Spy, All YEH dramas

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Dec 6th, '11, 01:11

At moment i'm looking for dramas without Cinderellas (or male Cinderellas). Also without leads, who are occupation-cinderellas. Whats an occupation-Cinderella? Well this are the people who start out as jobless losers without education and at the end of the drama, they are the best chefs, lawyers, whatever, who are in the end almost as rich as chaebols.
For example a 25 year old girl, who never cooked in her life, is in just 1-2 years the best chef in korea. Thats BS.
But it doesn't mean the drama can't contain achievement to some reasonable degree. For example in Pasta the female lead was a few years in training, before she became a chef.

The dramas i know of, without Cinderellas are:

The Woman Who still wants to marry
Wonderful Life- although male leads parents are rich, so the couple itself remains "normal"
Hero
One Mom, Three Dads
What's Up Fox
My Love Patzzi
Sweet Buns
Pasta

I Really Really Like You - I'm not sure, if i can include this one in the list, because she comes down from rural mountains and becomes a chef in the blue house. But then again she is recognized for her talent, but is not the best chef in the world and is still in training.

Does anybody know more such dramas?

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Dec 6th, '11, 02:27

@Silverman

the only one I can think of off the top of my head is ,Thank You, it's one of the best dramas I've ever seen and stars Jang Hyuk and Gong Hyo Jin

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Dec 6th, '11, 02:51

O rhight this one i forgot.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Dec 7th, '11, 19:39

Erm, yea..................................... As you probably have guessed already, I need something to watch.

Not a period drama this time. Probably something that few would call "sad". I have seen too many to make a list so just say every sad drama you have in mind. :mrgreen:

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Dec 7th, '11, 22:30

Sad dramas which i watched(some were dropped):
Staircase to Heaven
A Love to Kill
Scent of a Woman
90 Days, Falling in Love Days
I'm Sorry I love you
Sang Doo, Let's Go To School
Thank You
Glass Shoes
Winter Sonata
Autumn Love Story
MMM

I'm looking for dramas with twins/lost twins/lost siblings. Here are dramas which i know of(incomplete list):
YAB - Doesn't really count, but still...has twins..sorta
Which star are you from
My Fair Lady
Cinderella Man
49 days - was forced, but a lost sibling is there

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Dec 8th, '11, 05:07

Silverman wrote:Sad dramas which i watched(some were dropped):
Staircase to Heaven
A Love to Kill
Scent of a Woman
90 Days, Falling in Love Days
I'm Sorry I love you
Sang Doo, Let's Go To School
Thank You
Glass Shoes
Winter Sonata
Autumn Love Story
MMM

I'm looking for dramas with twins/lost twins/lost siblings. Here are dramas which i know of(incomplete list):
Which star are you from
My Fair Lady
Cinderella Man
I forgot to mention - no terminal illnesses. :mrgreen:

As for sibling drama - check out One Fine Day.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Dec 8th, '11, 08:37

Thank you, will check it out.

A sad kdrama without terminal illnesses? That reduces every possible sad-drama list from 100% to 10%.

Keikan

Post by Keikan » Dec 8th, '11, 22:15

I'm just getting started with K-dramas and I'm in the mood for a good romantic comedy. I'd like something funny but that doesn't go overboard with soap-opera elements. Preferrably something addictive as well with an interesting storyline. Recently I've really enjoyed "You're Beautiful", "Personal Taste" and "Full House". Oh and like I mentionned in another thread, since I'm so used to J-dramas, I'd like something that wouldn't make the transition to K-drama too hard. Oh and one last thing: I really can't stand when the main female character is as dumb as her feet (like it was the case in "You're Beautiful" and "Hong Gil Dong"). I like my main characters to have personality! Thanks in advance! :D

Maradorama

Post by Maradorama » Dec 8th, '11, 23:07

Keikan wrote:I'm just getting started with K-dramas and I'm in the mood for a good romantic comedy. I'd like something funny but that doesn't go overboard with soap-opera elements. Preferrably something addictive as well with an interesting storyline. Recently I've really enjoyed "You're Beautiful", "Personal Taste" and "Full House". Oh and like I mentionned in another thread, since I'm so used to J-dramas, I'd like something that wouldn't make the transition to K-drama too hard. Oh and one last thing: I really can't stand when the main female character is as dumb as her feet (like it was the case in "You're Beautiful" and "Hong Gil Dong"). I like my main characters to have personality! Thanks in advance! :D
Hmm, perhaps "Protect the Boss" I've not watched many J-dramas so I'm unsure what would be a smooth transition. If you're looking for something mild and refreshing, you could check out "Pasta." Hope this has helped.

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Dec 9th, '11, 07:40

Silverman wrote:I'm looking for dramas with twins/lost twins/lost siblings. Here are dramas which i know of(incomplete list):
Which star are you from
My Fair Lady
Cinderella Man
If you don't mind sageuks, Damo has a lost-siblings storyline.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Dec 16th, '11, 18:26

Ethlenn, do you have something as good as Chuno, hiding somewhere? Period drama.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Dec 16th, '11, 18:51

Revenge of Gumiho^^ :mrgreen:

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Dec 16th, '11, 18:58

Ethlenn wrote:Revenge of Gumiho^^ :mrgreen:
Not sure if you meant it seriously... But I would want something with some kind of romance in it, too. Not only action. :mrgreen:

The Chaos
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by The Chaos » Dec 16th, '11, 18:59

Princess Man <--- :thumright:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Dec 16th, '11, 19:23

Neliets wrote:
Not sure if you meant it seriously... But I would want something with some kind of romance in it, too. Not only action. :mrgreen:
There's no romance in it.
Only some heavy psychological damage for viewers.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Dec 16th, '11, 19:39

Ethlenn wrote:
Neliets wrote:
There's no romance in it.
Only some heavy psychological damage for viewers.
Ok, I'll go with Princess Man for now. But, Ethlenn, you really have nothing similar to Chuno? And as good?

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Dec 16th, '11, 21:25

Neliets wrote:Ok, I'll go with Princess Man for now. But, Ethlenn, you really have nothing similar to Chuno? And as good?
Chuno isn't that good. The first half was pretty engaging, but the rest was pretty meh.

How about Conspiracy in the Court? http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Seoul's_Sad_Song

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Dec 17th, '11, 09:46

kitty10 wrote:
Neliets wrote:Ok, I'll go with Princess Man for now. But, Ethlenn, you really have nothing similar to Chuno? And as good?
Chuno isn't that good. The first half was pretty engaging, but the rest was pretty meh.

How about Conspiracy in the Court? http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Seoul's_Sad_Song
Why? Because they stopped showing their abs? :mrgreen:
I loved it all the way.

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Dec 17th, '11, 09:55

Neliets wrote:Why? Because they stopped showing their abs? :mrgreen:
I loved it all the way.
Too much style, too little substance.

Issy

Post by Issy » Dec 17th, '11, 10:07

Neliets wrote:Why? Because they stopped showing their abs? :mrgreen:
I loved it all the way.
:thumleft:
YEPP! I even loved it more as story progressed. Chuno remains my most favourite sageuk of all time.

nome

Post by nome » Dec 19th, '11, 13:48

I need suggestions again! :D What I'd like to have is _romance_. I'm a HUGE romance addict. I especially liked Secret Garden. :) I love it how the man tries to woo the woman. Also awkward love is very cute to watch! Oh, and I loved I Need Romance too (except for the ending) because it wasn't like many other dramas where the couple gets together in the end but have only one little kiss and that's it! :D

Here's what I've watched:
-Baby-faced beauty
-Boys over flowers
-Coffee Prince
-Dream High
-Full House
-The Greatest Love
-I Need Romance
-Lie to me
-My Fair Lady/ Take care of the young lady
-Playful kiss
-Protect the boss
-Secret Garden
(I've dropped Goong and Personal Taste because I got bored of the storyline progressing too slowly.)

I'm thinking of watching next (based on the plot descriptions): Coffee House, Shining Inheritance, Heart Strings, My Name is Kim Sam Soon or Pasta. Are any of these worthwhile? Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you! Again! :D

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Dec 19th, '11, 14:57

Well, all your suggestions are worth watching, even if i didn't really liked the Coffe House couples. But at least this one was the only couplepairing of this kind i've seen so far (
Male lead ends up with the second female lead and the female lead ends up with a supporting role(not even a second lead)
).
I liked Shining Inheritance, but it can be, that you'll drop it, because its a 28 ep drama and its not so fastpaced.
Further suggestions:
Oh my lady! - I liked this one
Sungkyunkwan Scandal
All the other Yoo Eun Hye dramas (the female lead from Coffee Prince, Take care of Agasshi, Goong and Lie To Me)
That Fool-one of my favorite dramas
Fantasy Couple
My Girlfriend Ís a Gumiho
Pick the stars
49 days
City Hunter
Marry Me Marry...yea i know, I'm one of the people, who dropped this drama, but still..i like the cast. Still worth trying.
You are beautiful - silly, but likable
All the Kim Sun Ah dramas, like "City Hall"
Also if you like shallow but fun romcoms, then look up all the other Hong sisters dramas(the writers of My GF is a Gumiho, the greatest Love)

chikha

Post by chikha » Dec 21st, '11, 15:43

Can you recommend a really really good period drama?

I have seen Dae Jang Geum, QSD, Dong Yi, Yi san, S-scandal

chikha

Post by chikha » Dec 21st, '11, 16:00

Is Fermentation Family worth watching?

Shindou

Post by Shindou » Dec 21st, '11, 17:30

chikha wrote:Can you recommend a really really good period drama?

Iljimae is really good - the version with Lee Jun Ki

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Dec 21st, '11, 17:43

chikha wrote:Can you recommend a really really good period drama?

Damo and Chuno are good