SOPA/PIPA/ACTA

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

SOPA/PIPA/ACTA

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 19th, '12, 20:20

Last edited by Ethlenn on Jan 22nd, '12, 22:38, edited 2 times in total.

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Jan 19th, '12, 20:30

Well it's looks like people might be forced back to torrents hehe. :P
And I had just uploaded a bunch of stuff for xaxa too. :blink

Linzer

Post by Linzer » Jan 19th, '12, 20:31

We're all doomed

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 19th, '12, 20:31

I keep my 2-year worth courses for students there. Very nice now. :cussing:

Plus, you believe they'll leave torrents alone?

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Jan 19th, '12, 20:39

Ethlenn wrote:Plus, you believe they'll leave torrents alone?
Of course not. It's just that the companies had switched to a strategy of attacking the distribution sites. Plus they are focused on music and films at the moment, mostly American. At this rate though it won't be long before the Japanese and Korean companies decide to utilize the same legal tools.

Linzer

Post by Linzer » Jan 19th, '12, 21:25

All the torrents on thepiratebay are all magnet links now, which i'm not quite sure what they are, but i'm pretty sure torrents are their next target

lenrasoon

Post by lenrasoon » Jan 19th, '12, 21:36

it's scary how this went down especially after SOPA/PIPA protest, and i agree with the comment above mine that torrents are going to be the next target.
Last edited by lenrasoon on Jan 20th, '12, 00:18, edited 1 time in total.

lollercopter

Post by lollercopter » Jan 19th, '12, 22:35

And to think that some people here actually advocate having only one source for a file. This just goes to show that files should be mirrored as far and wide as possible.

As for torrents, they've been going after them for years now, especially TPB. But they haven't had much success, and probably never will unless they can turn something like SOPA into a law.

nikid

Post by nikid » Jan 19th, '12, 23:30

For what I've heard. the megaupload shutdown had nothing to do with SOPA/PIPA.....it was an already 2-year investigation of FBI

Errorka

Post by Errorka » Jan 19th, '12, 23:43

R.I.P. Megaupload
<iframe width="720" height="405" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/o0Wvn-9BXVc" frameborder="0"></iframe>

sweetbaby_millenium

Post by sweetbaby_millenium » Jan 20th, '12, 00:18

OK people, this is restricted to the US. No Japan and/or Korean involved. The only thing I know is that governments are actually doing exactly what they were avoiding some years ago... freedom of expression and such !!! It's a real pity that instead of evolving we are stepping backwards.

P@permoon

Post by P@permoon » Jan 20th, '12, 00:28

Nikid is right, the shut down of megaupload has nothing to do with SOPA/PIPA.

Official FBI Statement

Extract:
The individuals and two corporations—Megaupload Limited and Vestor Limited—were indicted by a grand jury in the Eastern District of Virginia on Jan. 5, 2012, and charged with engaging in a racketeering conspiracy, conspiring to commit copyright infringement, conspiring to commit money laundering, and two substantive counts of criminal copyright infringement. The individuals each face a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison on the charge of conspiracy to commit racketeering, five years in prison on the charge of conspiracy to commit copyright infringement, 20 years in prison on the charge of conspiracy to commit money laundering, and five years in prison on each of the substantive charges of criminal copyright infringement.

moadeep

Post by moadeep » Jan 20th, '12, 00:37

Which isn't to say people should not be concerned with PIPA/SOPA. Still an ongoing problem. That said if they were involved in racketeering and money laundering I hope they don't get sympathy help from teh internets. Makes us look bad.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Jan 20th, '12, 06:55

SOPA/PIPA is however something that would concern everyone, even those outside of USA.

Conner MacDermott

Post by Conner MacDermott » Jan 20th, '12, 08:58

Is this for real?

http://109.236.83.66/

tillapia

Post by tillapia » Jan 20th, '12, 09:27

It should be. You can always access a website by IP address.

Here's a list someone made: http://www.iheartchaos.com/post/1609927 ... dress-list

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 20th, '12, 09:41

TenguKing

Money Laudering?

Post by TenguKing » Jan 20th, '12, 09:49

[REMOVED BY AUTHOR]
Last edited by TenguKing on Jan 27th, '12, 02:02, edited 1 time in total.

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Jan 20th, '12, 09:58

British admin for download links database may be first extradited to US for copyright charges, Friday, Jan 13

http://boingboing.net/2012/01/13/britis ... te-wi.html

megaupload gone, sopa/pipa maybe is coming and citizen extradite to the United States... hm, it gets "colder" in the world wide web :-(

Hammie

Post by Hammie » Jan 20th, '12, 10:18

Sorvaseven wrote:it gets "colder" in the world wide web
No. It gets "colder" on the English side of the Internet. The Chinese/Japanese/Korean/All other languages side of the Internet will just move on regardless whether its English side is censored or not.

moadeep

Re: Money Laudering?

Post by moadeep » Jan 20th, '12, 10:35

TenguKing wrote:LOL... from what I can find online, it seems that by "money laundering" they are referring to:

"... allegedly offered a rewards program that would provide users with financial incentives to upload popular content and drive web traffic to the site, often through user-generated websites known as linking sites."

I mean seriously? The tiny financial incentive (like 2 bucks for tens-of-thousands of hits?) is considered money laundering? Well I guess I'm glad I never tried to collect my dollar or so of earned "laundered money"
Now, I'm not entirely sure I understand all of this. I usually get mired down in the details, but in this case I might actually have understood some of it since I took anti-money laundering training before I left my old job. But...the purpose of money laundering is to hide profits, so depending on how their accounting software and so on structured things...I'm guessing that they used "payouts" to customers to hide the money. It's just a guess on my part on *very* skimpy information. Wouldn't be the first time creative bookkeeping was someone's downfall. Just look at Capone. IRS'll getcha every time.
No intention of comparing them in scope and character to Capone in any way, he's just the first person who springs to mind when it comes to being done in by unpaid taxes.

Edit: *sigh* I hate legalese *rolls up sleeves*
Edit: on conspiracy and racketeering it looks like they got them dead to rights. if you want to read about money laundering skip to page 53 (have not read it yet, just found it)
Edit:Got them dead to rights there too. transferred in excess of 10k internationally the ill gotten gains, multiple times (my paraphrase)
Last Edit: It may because it's now 3:30 in the morning, but I found the multiple references to the "Mega Conspiracy" incredibly amusing. I giggled. Just say it out loud to yourself. Try using an ominous announcer voice.

sweetbaby_millenium

Post by sweetbaby_millenium » Jan 20th, '12, 15:41

Best way to solve this... and I know people will hate me for this... just make EVERYTHING available to EVERYONE for a REASONABLE PRICE.... sth like netflix, for instance... and translated into several languages, so that everyone can hace access to it, right? in my case I have no option but download from internet cuause asian series DON'T EXIST in my country... it's unfai, cause I hate US and ARG content...

I know a loooot of people just want it for free.... but if it could provide us with a solution, why not apply it, right? international legal websites providing every kind of content (movies and series from all countries). It could even be something like d-addicts. Legal fansubs, by and for fans, mmm... like government subsidised, for instance, there could be like some sort of agreement as well, between different countries.

Of course it would be impossible to completely erradicate piracy using this hypothetical method, but at least it would help fight it... and almost nobody would be affected... unless you think having to pay for a services is being affected, of course !!

OK, now... wouldn't this international site be THA BOMB? and it would be a great opportunity for us translators XD

poonk
United States of America

Post by poonk » Jan 20th, '12, 22:42

I don't think anyone in this thread has mentioned this yet but in case anyone hasn't heard, the "resurrected" MegaUpload is a fake and you probably shouldn't click on any links you see for it. More info here: http://gawker.com/5877707/the-evil-new- ... nge-attack

*sigh*

moadeep

Post by moadeep » Jan 20th, '12, 23:15

Hammie wrote:
No. It gets "colder" on the English side of the Internet. The Chinese/Japanese/Korean/All other languages side of the Internet will just move on regardless whether its English side is censored or not.
Heh, a lot of PIPA/SOPA opposition people keep citing China as what PIPA/SOPA would turn us into. I don't know the truth of it, I just find the dichotomy of the two viewpoints amusing.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jan 20th, '12, 23:46

The Chinese internet is heavily guarded, and from what I know, the Korean one isn't all free either. So, not a good example to set for freedom of speech. :P

TenguKing

@moadeep

Post by TenguKing » Jan 21st, '12, 02:15

[REMOVED BY AUTHOR]
Last edited by TenguKing on Jan 27th, '12, 02:02, edited 1 time in total.

moadeep

Post by moadeep » Jan 21st, '12, 02:27

it would take bribery or blackmail...

TenguKing

Post by TenguKing » Jan 21st, '12, 02:33

[REMOVED BY AUTHOR]
Last edited by TenguKing on Jan 27th, '12, 02:03, edited 1 time in total.

moadeep

Post by moadeep » Jan 21st, '12, 02:57

I look around and think to myself sometimes..."Isn't this supposed to be the future? Where's my flying car and freedom?"

Hammie

Post by Hammie » Jan 21st, '12, 05:11

moadeep wrote:Heh, a lot of PIPA/SOPA opposition people keep citing China as what PIPA/SOPA would turn us into. I don't know the truth of it, I just find the dichotomy of the two viewpoints amusing.
That thinking is too far-fetched. For one thing, the Chinese culture and philosophies are very different from the western culture and philosophies, so it's not that simple or easy to say one or two laws will change everyone from this into that.

What I'm saying is that, regardless of how much the US government wants to censor the Internet, the most it can do is only on the English side of it. And when some US media companies decide to release their movies or sell their DVDs on another country, their works will still end up on the Internet. All it takes is for an individual to upload the DVD he or she bought, and it'll spread. So, what's the point?
Orion1986 wrote:The Chinese internet is heavily guarded, and from what I know, the Korean one isn't all free either. So, not a good example to set for freedom of speech. :P
Not really. That's the impression you get when you read the English news because that's what the English news usually cover. I've my own Chinese blog, posted on Chinese forums, and pretty much traveled a lot on the Chinese internet. I can express myself there as freely as I can express myself here. And the rules are also much the same - Don't flame people, Don't use vulgarities, etc. So it's not that guarded or censored despite what the English news might say.

And not all Chinese sites come from China, just like not all English sites come from US.
Last edited by Hammie on Jan 21st, '12, 05:22, edited 1 time in total.

TenguKing

Post by TenguKing » Jan 21st, '12, 05:19

[REMOVED BY AUTHOR]
Last edited by TenguKing on Jan 27th, '12, 02:03, edited 1 time in total.

moadeep

Post by moadeep » Jan 21st, '12, 05:22

Hammie wrote:What I'm saying is that, regardless of how much the US government wants to censor the Internet, the most it can do is only on the English side of it. And when some US media companies decide to release their movies or sell their DVDs on another country, their works will still end up on the Internet. So, what's the point?
I get what you're saying. Not precisely how it came across at first, but I gotcha now.
From the perspective of a lot of Americans though, it's not an issue of censorship but rather of corporate greed. SOPA/PIPA? *heavily* funded by the companies seen as stereotypical "greedy corps". What's sad/funny to me is that this is almost the same reaction as they had towards cassette tapes, vcrs and mp3 players. I think a huge problem is that a lot of the current politicians are really really out of touch with technology. This is always going to happen though. I mean, heck, Souza thought the gramophone would destroy music. Anybody making money is going to be worried when progress changes the shape of how we ...oy, brain just died. Ummm... Basically progress changes how commerce is conducted and the people intimately involved with the current status quo get their panties in a bunch when that happens.

moadeep

Post by moadeep » Jan 21st, '12, 05:25

TenguKing wrote:@moadeep

Though you were certainly right about the "money laundering" being substatiated by evidence... the timing of all this still really struck me as suspicious, and then I read an article saying:

The shut down of MegaUpload came after the largest online protest in history, where thousands of sites joined in a blackout protest on Wednesday against the House’s Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and the Senate’s PROTECT IP Act (PIPA).

Saying that it was the government's way of giving the finger to the protest (the article's words not mine)

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/01/19/d ... le-finger/

Something still really smells fishy... maybe they were sitting on the evidence only to drop the bomb now? It still seems to me as though this is all about someone REALLY wanting this SOPA stuff to get passed. Also, making me think theres really nothing we can do to stop it.
See, my theory is this-it *is* intimately involved with SOPA/PIPA, but not in the way the net is saying. I don't think they had any *IDEA* of how big the blackout was going to be in terms of impact. What I think is that this was supposed to be their way of showing how PIPA/SOPA is neccessary and that it has royally backfired. Their big PR bust just made them look *really* bad because of how they timed it, instead of legitimizing the legislation...that makes sense in my head, but I don't know how well I've communicated it.

TenguKing

Post by TenguKing » Jan 21st, '12, 05:26

[REMOVED BY AUTHOR]
Last edited by TenguKing on Jan 27th, '12, 02:04, edited 2 times in total.

moadeep

Post by moadeep » Jan 21st, '12, 05:32

Hee. Being called sir makes me happy. Because it has always sounded more dignified to me than ma'am.

TenguKing

Post by TenguKing » Jan 21st, '12, 05:35

[REMOVED BY AUTHOR]
Last edited by TenguKing on Jan 27th, '12, 02:05, edited 1 time in total.

Hammie

Post by Hammie » Jan 21st, '12, 05:44

Shutting Megaupload down will only create lots of antis, even if there's a good reason behind it. Wouldn't they want to gain more supporters rather than antis if their motive is bills-related?

moadeep

Post by moadeep » Jan 21st, '12, 05:53

TenguKing wrote:Hmm... although that was a mistake... why does ma'am sound so degrading and sir seem so dignified... hang on... sorry had to go tell my wife to get back into the kitchen where she belongs...
Ask her if she'll make me some pie :P
Never said it was degrading, just that sir seems more dignified to me. And I know why too! It's because in a professional setting I've had women flip out at being called ma'am "How would you like it if I called you ma'am, *ma'am*?!" "Um...I wouldn't care?". Whereas I have never witnessed a man acting similarly. I think it's because a lot of women don't like being seen as older than they are and for some reason they associate the word "ma'am" with being old. When really, the fact is that there aren't a lot of options. If you call the wrong woman "miss" the same thing can happen.
On top of that I associate being called sir with drunken, yet dignified, conversations with my bfam.

moadeep

Post by moadeep » Jan 21st, '12, 05:55

Hammie wrote:Shutting Megaupload down will only create lots of antis, even if there's a good reason behind it. Wouldn't they want to gain more supporters rather than antis if their motive is bills-related?
You'd think, but that's not the way the political mind seems to work. *IF* what we're theorizing is true, their main thought would have been "We need to show that there is a REAL and pressing need for this legislation!". They wouldn't have even thought "Huh...this site has a butt-ton of users, do you think shutting it down this way might, y'know, piss someone off?"

Hammie

Post by Hammie » Jan 21st, '12, 06:09

That's scary. It sounds like your government is trying to get its way at the expense of the citizens.

moadeep

Post by moadeep » Jan 21st, '12, 06:12

If it's not the government, it'll be the corporations.
Sorry, was that cynical? Probably. People from my generation tend to be either cynicals or idealists. I identify as a cynical idealist ;).

Hammie

Post by Hammie » Jan 21st, '12, 06:18

Having an ideal is good. :) It keeps the dreams alive for others.

TenguKing

Post by TenguKing » Jan 21st, '12, 06:54

Is chewing gum still illegal in Singapore?

Hammie

Post by Hammie » Jan 21st, '12, 07:00

I think so... Not sure.
Last edited by Hammie on Apr 10th, '12, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Jan 21st, '12, 10:42

Hammie wrote:
But you see what happend with megaupload, the site was not a website from the US and additional that's happend without SOPA/PIPA 8) . And have you heard from the Special 301 Report? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_301_Report So i think it would have some effects on "Chinese/Japanese/Korean/All other languages side of the Internet" too... sooner or late... maybe... or maybe not :D

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 21st, '12, 11:03

You heard about ACTA?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Count ... _Agreement
It's the same but worldwide, and yes, our drama countries are into it.

SOPA will just speed things up, regardless if it's passed or not. And lately it was just put off, not rejected permanently.

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Jan 21st, '12, 11:51

I think it would take some time to established these kind of laws and there will be lobbyist and protest against it (think of google+youtube, social networks, amazon etc.) so there is no base to get in real "panic".

10 years ago it was impossible to spread dramas so massive as today and i think there will be new alternatives in the future to spread them, even if it would become more difficult... Filehosters have always the risk of shutting or crashing down, but we have still p2p and maybe new technical possibilities in the future. Where there's a will, there's a way :P

nancy39

Post by nancy39 » Jan 21st, '12, 12:27

Sopa and pipa are bad for all sites even wiki has decided to say no to it i was waiting for Google to make its comment on it

moadeep

Post by moadeep » Jan 21st, '12, 19:07

Google participated in the blackout too,

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 22nd, '12, 19:17

Anonymous hacking Polish websites. Gov is down.
What's the next target?

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Jan 22nd, '12, 19:38

The Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) is a proposed plurilateral agreement for the purpose of establishing international standards on intellectual property rights enforcement. It would establish an international legal framework for countries to join voluntarily, and would create a governing body outside international institutions such as the World Trade Organization (WTO), the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) or the United Nations. Negotiating countries have described it as a response "to the increase in global trade of counterfeit goods and pirated copyright protected works."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Coun ... _Agreement

That means if you "break" a law on a US website, while sitting in Japan or European Union, (of course as a citizen of Japan or European Union and NOT as a citizen of the US) you can also be sued in your country and the judgment will be enforced, because of ACTA - the new inernational governing body? Hm, that's pretty scary.
Last edited by Sorvaseven on Jan 22nd, '12, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 22nd, '12, 19:41

RainSprite

Post by RainSprite » Jan 22nd, '12, 19:59

Ethlenn wrote:Anonymous hacking Polish websites. Gov is down.
What's the next target?
I see they're hacking some Romanian websites and Brazilian websites - http://www.brasilia.df.gov.br/ for example, they posted an anonymous video on there

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Jan 22nd, '12, 20:00

Hm, i understand that piracy is a problem for the entertainment industry and i am not surprised that new international laws will stop it, but ACTA is going too far. Some medias, especially japanese dramas are not even be sold in the US or EU and even not be licensed, but however you can be punished on an international level if you trade them, cause of ACTA. Of course you can buy the DVDs online on a japanese webstore, but a lot of people haven't got the possibility to do it....
Last edited by Sorvaseven on Jan 23rd, '12, 12:14, edited 2 times in total.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jan 22nd, '12, 21:00

In the matter of China, I do not read what the media say, I have experience the "shut down by the government" page on a few pages myself and have heard of protests on the freedom of speech by Chinese people. But you probably know more.

And TenguKing, Freedom, I say! FREEEEDOOOOOOOM!!! :P

As for the english language internet being censored, trust me, people will start getting ideas elsehwhere. Korea already made a committee on this, composed of, wait for it... DISABLED people.
Yes. They are using disabled (AND senior) people's need for money and help to make them police the internet. Here is the link on that, along with my and others' piece of mind on the issue.

Finally, the US will not care whether the sites are English or not. They don't really have a problem with invading countries and enforcing their laws in person, let alone with such underhanded means.

You could sum this up with a quote:

"It is extremely disturbing that a non-US citizen running a non-US business on non-US soil can be arrested by US authorities for breaking US law. If the Americans are running the world by this kind of force, then I demand voting rights in the United States."

wrote Rick Falkvinge, the founder of the Pirate Party Sweden, in an e-mail sent to Deutsche Welle.

And indeed, I pity the real artists. Not because pirates steal their hard work, but because the people they work for do. No matter what consumers pay, the money still goes to the rich, to make them richer. Artists still don't see a dime more of it.
The artists who do see a dime of it, have become buddies with other rich pricks and they have turned into money hungry a-holes themselves, spouting out garbage, effortless "creations" for the sake of quick and easy money. Not artists anymore.

And as Sorvaseven says, not everyone is rich enough to be able to afford every movie, song, program, book, piece of gum they get at the prices they're being sold. Should the poor remain uneducated, uncultured and uncivilized then?
If they want to get rid of piracy, they should realize that people aren't as rich as they, the few, are. They should make sure their products are available to ALL, globally and in prices an average citizen of any modern country can afford.

Also, the people who demand for money are pirates themselves. They made money by stealing things no one could claim. Go to thepiratebay site and read the text they have there. I wanted to see how such places would react and oh boy, did they react.

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Jan 22nd, '12, 22:09

Here are some official information about ACTA:

http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2 ... 146699.pdf
CONSOLIDATED TEXT REFLECTS CHANGES MADE DURING THE SEPTEMBER 2010 TOKYO ROUND: Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement on 2 October 2010

Section B: General Definitions

pirated copyright goods means any goods that are copies made without the consent of
the right holder or person duly authorized by the right holder in the country of
production and that are made directly or indirectly from an article where the making of
that copy would have constituted an infringement of a copyright or a related right under
the law of the country in which the procedures set out in Sections 2, 3, 4 and 5 of
Chapter2 are invoked;

Section 2: Civil Enforcement

1. Each Party shall make available to right holders civil judicial procedures
concerning the enforcement of any intellectual property right as specified in this section.

Section 4: Criminal Enforcement

For the offences specified in 2.14.1, 2.14.2, 2.14.3, and 2.14.4, each Party shall
provide penalties that include imprisonment as well as monetary fines12 sufficiently
high to provide a deterrent to future acts of infringement, consistently with the level of
penalties applied for crimes of a corresponding gravity.

CHAPTER FOUR - INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION

1. Each Party recognizes that international cooperation is vital to realize effective
protection of intellectual property rights and should be encouraged regardless of the
origin of the goods infringing intellectual property rights, or the location or nationality
of the right holder.

........ :-( :unsure: :faint:

Yeah, then d-addcits would be for sure illegal that includes imprisonment as well as monetary fines, but maybe that will not turn in reality. I see every day people on the streets breaking some laws and nobody cares about it, even the police didn't recognize it. And d-addicts is a very "small case" i think. But sure, then all social networks, youtube and so on have illegal contents! (Fortunately i don't use any kind of social networks and youtube very rarely, but d-addicts.... :faint: . I belief it will not happen :lol )

@ Orion1986: "Should the poor remain uneducated, uncultured and uncivilized then?" OF COURSE NOT!

@ Ethlenn: Maybe you could collect some good links and information on your first post in this thread? Could be helpful for people who don't understand the topic immediately :-)

And thanks for spreading these information!

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jan 22nd, '12, 22:23

Heads up. Filesonic is now changed as well. They removed their downloading functionality, probably in fear of what happened.

"All sharing functionality on FileSonic is now disabled. Our service can only be used to upload and retrieve files that you have uploaded personally."

These will start dropping like flies. Soon enough, no sharing sites will be left.

TenguKing

Post by TenguKing » Jan 22nd, '12, 22:26

[REMOVED BY AUTHOR]
Last edited by TenguKing on Jan 27th, '12, 02:06, edited 1 time in total.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jan 22nd, '12, 22:37

I wish I could give you some hope, but I'm running out of it too...

R.I.P. FileSonic & Uploaded.to

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 22nd, '12, 22:40

I do have similar scenario to the one proposed by TenguKing... sadly.

If they touch mediafire, me and most of us, I bet, will be royally screwed.

@Sorvaseven - done. :salut:

And:
Just Say ‘No’ to ACTA - Petition
The United Nations

TenguKing

Post by TenguKing » Jan 22nd, '12, 22:59

[REMOVED BY AUTHOR]
Last edited by TenguKing on Jan 27th, '12, 02:07, edited 2 times in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 22nd, '12, 23:02

TenguKing wrote:also note that IF they do SCREW us like this... then China, ironically, will be the best place for filesharing...anywhere? (just think how little regulation tudou has, and thats one of their crappiest ways of sharing media).

ChengDu here I come... If it was good enough for Liu Bei and KongMing its good enough for me...
Yes, but it still will be you indicted when caught on downloading/uploading, regardless where the hosting site is.
We could all move to China then.

TenguKing

Post by TenguKing » Jan 22nd, '12, 23:11

[REMOVED BY AUTHOR]
Last edited by TenguKing on Jan 27th, '12, 02:07, edited 1 time in total.

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Jan 23rd, '12, 08:57

Ethlenn wrote:@Sorvaseven - done. :salut:
And:
Just Say ‘No’ to ACTA - Petition
The United Nations
Thank you!

Another problem could be the aspect with the access provider. Every provider will be control and shut down websides which could be "dangerous" for them, because of the new responsibility. No provider is interested to be sued for tolerating websites which are not ACTA conform. For d-addicts it will mean that every provider would shut down the forum because of the links and pictures which are break against the new ACTA law. Futhermore torrent trackers will be affected because of several violation of tolerating and spreading files with copyright contents and of course filehosters like megaupload as we could see :-( . So moving d-addicts on a chinese server could be a solution, but when the admin (Ruroshin) is not living in china as well it would be a certain amount of risk for him... But a forum without torrent trackers and filehosters for the torrent files would't work.... That's a real depressing perspective :-(

EDIT: I just read an newspaper article which says that providers will not be responsible for websites in reference to the newest ACTA version. Hm, some sources are inconsistent, but a bad feeling about it remain...

@ Ethlenn: What do you mean with "Join twitter people"? Is there an official d-addicts channel for re-organizing the drama community in case of a shut down :D ?
Last edited by Sorvaseven on Jan 23rd, '12, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jan 23rd, '12, 09:09

I guess it was "Join Twitter, people". People have been tweeting about these a lot, using hashtags like #stopSOPA #ACTA and such. Tons of tweets per few seconds.

I did a search on "filesonic" last night and the frequency of tweets was mind-blowing. It was the same when Megaupload was shut down. Big big buzz about this thing.

moadeep

Post by moadeep » Jan 23rd, '12, 09:26

All of this has The Vandals and Flobots playing in my head... A lot.
Last edited by moadeep on Jan 23rd, '12, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Jan 23rd, '12, 09:26

Ok, i get it. I did't used twitter so far and doesn't exactly know how it works :sweat: But i get in on clicking on your twitter-link :lol . There are also a lot of discussions on the livejournal threads where people uploaded a lot of asian dramas on megaupload and other filehosters...

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 23rd, '12, 10:05

I find it very strange that there is no media coverage of this . atleast here in UK. nothing about on TV or radio. :scratch:

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Jan 23rd, '12, 10:12

One of the reason could be that the proceedings about ACTA are not open for the pupblic or journalist. It's all very discreet. Some journalists coplain about refuse- and rejecting interviews with bureaucrats and politicians.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jan 23rd, '12, 10:47

They are discreet because they are trying to create and enforce them without people knowing much about them. This isn't a democratic procedure.
The top honchos of the economy are basically building their corporate dictatorship. And none of them care much for meddling audiences interfering.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 23rd, '12, 11:42

In this case, imagine what would happen if it goes on media. I am following the signed petitions and to be honest the number is not that significant. There are still lots of people who use Internet in a way that SOPA/PIPA/ACTA will effects them for sure but not aware of what will happen much as some as some of us here. One example is my own sister who likes her daily dramas... But had no idea what's going on. If this was on media however, she would have know/acted much sooner.
Btw, I was on twitter last night reading on #SOPA place. People were saying that SOPA was dead then. Is this true?

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Jan 23rd, '12, 12:05

I read that the deadline of the decision about SOPA has been postponed to a date yet to be defined. But nevertheless it will be more difficult to spread dramas in the near future i think. Of course it was always illegal to spread dramas (and it doen't matter if it licensed in your country or not), but till now it's more or less been tolerated. In case of the new laws (and i bet they will come) it will for sure destroy slowly the infrastructure of filesharing as others have mentioned it before. So if the laws are going to be established, i think media will recognize it on a different level - but then it's too late, maybe :|

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jan 23rd, '12, 12:12

ACTA is even more dangerous, it seems. And indeed, it happens secretly, so on the hush hush that people don't even know what's going on.
I know people react to immediate danger, but I also know the "frog in boiling water" problem. If it happens gradually and slowly, no one will react.

But I have hope only in one thing. Innovation and people's need for the internet and for filesharing. People will find new ways to go around these laws.
Until that happens, though, and until they can pick up and reassemble the pieces of a broken internet, we'll be stuck without any freedom. A dark age.

sensei991
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sensei991 » Jan 23rd, '12, 16:26

FileServe has now stopped filesharing and MyAC says that FileSonic has also terminated filesharing. It's looking very grim for j- and k-dramas and movies. Torrent downloads seem to be the only way to go right now. But I expect that ISPs will take steps to shut down torrent traffic.

I hope that a download system with payment of royalties can be worked out.