Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 10th, '12, 18:55

Click on the banner:

The Chaos
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by The Chaos » Apr 10th, '12, 19:30

because of general elections (I think it called that) on Wed Rooftop Prince Ep 7 & 8 will air on Thursday :scratch:

arabz8191

Post by arabz8191 » Apr 10th, '12, 20:16

i can't wait for the next episode :roll
<KSA> :P

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 10th, '12, 21:24

News of RP's delay is VERY good for me, cause I have tons to prepare for Thursday, and this way I WILL get everything done, muwahahaha...
JYJ member Micky Park Yuchun is extremely beautiful flower man. In the 2010 drama Sungkyunkwan Scandal, he formed the ‘coveted foursome gang’ with Yoo ah In, Song Joong Ki and Park Min Young who disguised as man to melt the hearts of women in Joseon Dynasty and viewers.

And recently, in SBS Wednesday and Thursday drama series Rooftop Prince, he is playing the role crown prince of Joseon Dynasty, Lee Gak, who travels through time, and together with Joseon trio, they cause various incidents and provoke laughter.

Rooftop Prince is a romantic comedy drama telling the story of interesting and funny incidents that happened when crown prince in Joseon Dynasty, Lee Gak, together with his confidants travels forward in time for 300 years to land in downtown of modern Seoul, and attempt to get accustomed to modern life. The romance with the owner of rooftop apartment where he is boarding, Park Ha (Han Ji Min), the drowning incident of crown princess, and the disappearance of 2nd generation of chaebol, Yong Tae Yong, who is similar to reincarnation of Lee Gak, interwoven intricately to become a historical, fantasy, romantic comedy, and thriller drama, bringing unique fun to the audience. One theme but different styles, presenting the effects of coordination between a variety of areas.
Park Yoochun is playing the role of crown prince Lee Gak and 2nd generation of chaebol, and he perfectly interpreted the two different roles, and excellent acting performance has even made more people to infect with ‘Yuchun Syndrome.’ Although Lee Gak is a strict descendant of the king, but after coming to 300 years later, he is seduced by ice-pop, yogurt, marshmallow, and other sweet snacks. In order to make a living, he has no choice but to suffer humiliation of having to wear animal mask and dance. But no matter in what awkward scenarios, he is not annoying, instead gives rise to bursts of goodwill.

Park Yoochun who was born in 1986 is 26 years old this year. He debuted as a singer in 2004 through the single album of TVXQ (DBSK), HUG. This is his third drama after 2010′s Sungkyunkwan Scandal and 2011′s Miss Ripley. Since Sungkyunkwan Scandal, as an actor who debuted as a singer, his acting has been suffering to censure just like other singer-actors. But now he is well loved by the audience through his stable acting. Having winning various newcomer awards in KBS Drama Awards, PaekSang Arts Award, MBC Drama Awards, Seoul International Drama Awards, and so on, are proving his acting skills.
In particular, worth paying special tribute in this drama is the appropriate level of comedy acting which would be overly funny with slightest mistake. Although the image self-destruction by Joseon’s trio and Park Yoochun’s straightforward and heartless charm are a little unnatural, but it expresses the feelings of people from the past. With the sweet appearance and tone of voice, as such the 100 screencaps of the change of acting expressions have spread, the various expressions acting further strengthening the acting skills of ‘actor Park.’

His younger brother Park Yoo Hwan joined the filming of TV series by screenwriter Kim Su Hyun, A Thousand Days’ Promise, and successfully completed the drama, certifying the qualification for the two brothers to become actors.
Has been dreaming of acting since debut, every time appears with a variety of images, this is Park Yoochun with superb acting. Beyond the performing stage, through the TV screen improve the acting step by step, the people who loves him is expecting him to become an even better actor.

Credit: Asian-Drama via Nate
Shared by: JYJ3
Not sure about some sentences in here, but it's will that counts.

Issy

Post by Issy » Apr 10th, '12, 21:44

But I do think he is way more handsome and appealing as modern guy with modern clothing than in Joseon era clothing. Those Joseon clothing is not doing him much favour even if they are King's wardrobe. :whistling:

jubies33

Post by jubies33 » Apr 10th, '12, 23:20

I don't care what he is wearing. Kings clothing or black suit he makes me want to rawr. :lol

DramaCherish

Post by DramaCherish » Apr 11th, '12, 11:23

I love this drama. Thank you so much for uploading it. I have watched and re-watched the 6 episodes twice and now thinking of going to third round or should i just satisfy my yearning for Chunnie by watching Sungkyunkwan Scandal. Lol..and I have watched Sungkyunkwan Scandal three times!! Really going goo goo ga ga over Micky this time round.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 12th, '12, 05:58

Bad news for SBS “Rooftop Prince’s” fans. Despite announcing that “Rooftop Prince,” starring Park Yoo Chun (JYJ) and Han Ji Min, will air episodes 7 and 8 back-to-back tonight, April 12, SBS has changed its plans. An hour ago, SBSNOW tweeted, “Originally planned for two episodes tonight, ‘Rooftop Prince’ will only air one episode. For those who were waiting, we are planning some BTS videos.”

The news disappointed many of the drama’s fans, and they angrily commented, “Why did they change it all of a sudden,” “How can they break promises with their viewers this easily,” “I was waiting for today for one week, and now they totally ruined my day,” and more.

Unlike “Rooftop Prince,” MBC “The King 2hearts,” starring Lee Seung Gi and Ha Ji Won, will air two episodes tonight. Both dramas did not air last night due to the 19th General Elections in Korea.

Meanwhile, KBS “The Equator Man,” starring Uhm Tae Woong and Lee Bo Young, saw a jump in ratings last night, recording 14.3% (AGB Nielsen) for its seventh episode.
after tohoshinkidesu.tumblr

Eh... SBS...

The Chaos
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by The Chaos » Apr 12th, '12, 11:17

SBS never keep their promise for real -_-

DramaCherish

Post by DramaCherish » Apr 13th, '12, 06:50

To Ethlenn,

Thanks for the update. At least we have episode 7 to enjoy over the weekend.

Cheers

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 13th, '12, 07:16

[NEWS] 120413 Micky Yoochun Becomes a True Actor via Rooftop Prince

The acting potential of JYJ member Park Yoochun breaks out. The acting performance of Park Yoochun who is starring in SBS drama series Rooftop Prince has been praised by audience continuously. Park Yoochun is playing the role of Lee Gak, who is the crown prince of Joseon Dynasty 300 years ago. Lee Gak uses ancient tone and voice and modern tone to speak at different occasions, which is very interesting.

In front of Park Ha and 3 confidants whom he get along with easily, he uses a majestic tone of crown prince, but in front of other people, because of he has to live with the identity of Yong Tae Yong of modern times, he has to abandon ‘the tone of the king’ and speak ‘Seoul language,’ which is very funny, similar to the plot of countryman strives to speak Seoul language in Gag Concert. Not only in the tone, the comedy acting of Park Yoochun is also surprising, who perfect performed the ‘crown prince from Joseon Dynasty.’

Unknowing that he has come to modern times, he goes to Donhwamun Gate of Changdeokgung palace to shout, “Quickly open the door,” and is chased away by the police, he gobbles when tasting the omelet rice for the first time at the home of Park Ha (Han Ji Min), and sucks in the Yakult in one breath as he likes the sweet food, all these scenes have constantly stimulating the audience who burst into laughing. However, Park Yoohun also demonstrates the romantic love acting skills, increasing the tension of the drama.
After seeing the reincarnation of crown princess, Se Na (Jung Yoo Mi), he makes effort to make her to become his woman again. He buys the bracelet preferred by Park Ha to give to Se Na as surprise gift and other ‘Joseon version of proposing’ is shaking the heart of Se Na.

In addition, in order to retain Park Ha who is preparing to go to United States, he buys the painting of tropical beach for Park Ha who loves tropical beach and coconut trees. He stops the bus to airport, and tells Park Ha in the bus, “Now there is tropical bus, it’s unnecessary to go to such faraway place,” and pulls the hand of Park Ha to alight from the bus. These courageous scenes have been portrayed perfectly.

Through Rooftop Prince, Park Yoochun’s acting has been getting a lot of love and praises at the same time. Park Yoochun who has accumulated internal strength of acting skills through the dramas ‘Sungkyunkwan Scandal’ and ‘Miss Ripley’ displays the higher level of acting skills, attracting the attention of audience. He whose acting been re-appraised through Rooftop Prince is impressive.

Credit: Asian-Drama
If he doesn't ditch Sena in next 2 episodes, I'm going to murder the writers. Lee Gak is so dumb sometimes...

ziliey

Post by ziliey » Apr 13th, '12, 09:05

I am enjoying this drama so much!! :D I love Mickey Yoochun to death since SS and I have been stalking him since!! I love the chemistry between the leads and the 3 musketeers are just brilliant.. Quite sad that we have only one episode to enjoy this week.. But one is better than none right??? PS, I want to murder that **** SeNa.. She drives me crazy with her ridiculous lies and all.. I can't wait for the subs for episode 7!! ^_^

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Apr 13th, '12, 15:31

I found ep 01-04 just so so, but episode 5 get me hooked, I wish we had more of Joseon era, and unlike some I think the kings clothes really suit Yoochun !I like the traffic lights, I've never had an eye for LMH but here ,he's my fav !

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 14th, '12, 09:53

From DC gall:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 16th, '12, 17:42

RP NGs

That candy scene... that candy scene... oh damn you Chunface! :rofl:

ziliey

Post by ziliey » Apr 17th, '12, 07:09

They are going to release 3 episodes this week!!! Ep 8 on wednesday and Ep 9 & 10 on Thursday!!! Rejoice my friends!! :D https://twitter.com/#!/SBSNOW

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 17th, '12, 08:49

Somehow I don't trust SBS so easily. I will believe when I have all 3 new eps on my HD.

DramaCherish

Post by DramaCherish » Apr 17th, '12, 08:56

I am still keeping my hopes high. Hopefully we have three episodes with lots of Park Ha & Tae Yong. I am still craving for their scenes together.

Viande

Post by Viande » Apr 18th, '12, 10:10

I finally catched up with the episodes and waiting for next ones.

I'm not really a Yucheon fan (well ok, I admit he's handsome) but I found myself watching this because of his acting. He's doing great job.

Is it just me or are most of the romantic scenes really cheesy? I feel like facepalming every time Park Ha is having flashbacks about them. Or maybe I'm wrong target audience...

ziliey

Post by ziliey » Apr 18th, '12, 11:28

I think it's just only you.. I find it kinda sweet.. I find it irritating that SeNa keeps getting her way! >_<

Issy

Post by Issy » Apr 18th, '12, 11:54

@Viande
I think me and you are the wrong target audiences. :mrgreen: Not that you are as old as me but I totally get what you mean. Maybe it's because of HJM? Was it you who also did not like her in Padam Padam? The couple are cute enough but I mostly see it because of LG and not PH. I like his interactions with her more and thinking about it, PH does not have much cute interactions with him on her side.

DramaCherish

Post by DramaCherish » Apr 18th, '12, 12:13

Sena is doing too good a job nowadays that she is dominating my attention. i think of her more than LG & PH..unbelieveable!!...

Viande

Post by Viande » Apr 18th, '12, 12:41

Issy wrote:@Viande
I think me and you are the wrong target audiences. :mrgreen: Not that you are as old as me but I totally get what you mean. Maybe it's because of HJM? Was it you who also did not like her in Padam Padam? The couple are cute enough but I mostly see it because of LG and not PH. I like his interactions with her more and thinking about it, PH does not have much cute interactions with him on her side.
I guess you're right. ^^ Might be just HJM and her facial expressions that make it cheesy. I'm not hating her but I think she tries to act too young for her age. Probably also scriptwriters fault. It is possible to look cute without trying to look like a teenager. Now that I think, I had the same problem with Flower Boy Ramen Shop.

I wonder if we see more Joseon shots. I liked those parts.

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Apr 18th, '12, 16:04

Well , me too,I don't like HJM's acting here, especially in the beginning ,it was so obviuos and I didn't believe her feelings ! There's no chemistry , but I liked her in Padam , the character suited her well!
In the other hand,I like Sena and sometimes she's sooooo cute, the actress is doing great job!

Jazzapple

Post by Jazzapple » Apr 18th, '12, 18:47

^ You like Se Na? I mean... You actually like... the character?

My God, I haven't hated so much on a character since the Lion King!
(still don't like you, Scar.)

Issy

Post by Issy » Apr 18th, '12, 19:06

I hate sena not because she is evil but because she is a lousy evil character. I don't mind smart evil characters. But Sena is not of them. As my friend perfectly says it, she is just put there to annoy people so later on people get more satisfaction by the ending.
It's a simple romcom drama so they don't have to make characters too deep. As long as she annoys the viewers, it's enough for them.

Viande

Post by Viande » Apr 18th, '12, 19:37

I don't really like Sena's character but she's not a bad actor. And she's really pretty. I just keep staring at her when she's on screen. ^^ In my opinion Sena, or actually the princess, Hwajong and Leegak looked better together.

But yeah, like Issy said, unfortunately her character will be one of those heartless characters whose only purpose is to annoy viewers. ("I'm-going-to-drag-you-to-Hell" -kind of character.)

ziliey

Post by ziliey » Apr 19th, '12, 04:22

I acknowledge her acting and her beauty but I still hate her character.. :D
I agree with Jazzapple.. She is one lousy person and I think I might end up hating her more than now!
She really is doing a great job but I'm still gonna root for the King and Park Ha..
BTW, why is he call Jeoha instead of Jeohna??
In other historical dramas they pronounce it differently and when it is Crown Prince don't they call him Thegam??
O_O

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 19th, '12, 22:05

ziliey wrote: BTW, why is he call Jeoha instead of Jeohna??
In other historical dramas they pronounce it differently and when it is Crown Prince don't they call him Thegam??
O_O
First, they do not pronounce those differently, those are different titles.
Second, it's "Jeonha" , "Choha", "Daegam"
Third:
Jeonha 전하 – His Majesty. Sometimes Chonho. Usually referred to ruling King or nominated Crown Prince (like wangseja, or hwangtaeja)
Daegam 대감 – His Excellency (used for married Grand Prince, daegun)
Choha - equivalent to "mama"

Additional info:
Seja 세자 – Prince Successor, Heir Apparent (from Wangseja)
Read here if you're really interested

ziliey

Post by ziliey » Apr 20th, '12, 03:56

Thanks Ethlenn!! :D

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Apr 20th, '12, 05:42

After watching up to ep 10, I think I can kind of guess who murdered the crown princess.
I suspect maybe it's Tae Mu back in Chosen that did it. Since Sena is having relationship with Tae Mu and Tae Young. I kind of wonder if she was also having an affair back then and got killed by Tae Mu who is conspiring to kick out the crown prince.
I wonder why the prince hasn't figured out to go to the library to read up on history books to get clues. I would have thought his smart minion would have brought up the topic.

ziliey

Post by ziliey » Apr 20th, '12, 07:07

TBH, that never crossed my mind until you pointed it out O_O

barbka

Post by barbka » Apr 20th, '12, 08:27

I really hate the Sena character, but I love her looks. Well if you look at the story, the prince wished for the most beautifull princess and the whole point of this is that beauty alone can't make you happy in a relationship. We can see how the prince is intrigued with the intelligence of the masked women ;).
Allso I think that this Sena is really clever and doing her job perfectly. You must be a clever evil mastermind to do stuff like she does. That needle work was masked women work, but the princes presentet it as herselfs. That is why the buterfly returned to the owner in the present.
From the begining I think that the princess had an affair and that the lover (princes cousin) killed her (or the lovers assassin - we see one person runing out of the cstle in the episode).

And the riddle solution: loveeeeeeee :)

I am really affraid how things will go when the prince returnes back in his time. Will we see happy love or just living memories of that love?

Issy

Post by Issy » Apr 20th, '12, 08:54

seirin wrote:After watching up to ep 10, I think I can kind of guess who murdered the crown princess.
I suspect maybe it's Tae Mu back in Chosen that did it. Since Sena is having relationship with Tae Mu and Tae Young. I kind of wonder if she was also having an affair back then and got killed by Tae Mu who is conspiring to kick out the crown prince.
I wonder why the prince hasn't figured out to go to the library to read up on history books to get clues. I would have thought his smart minion would have brought up the topic.
That's if the murdered person was in fact the crown princess. we are leaning towards the idea that is her sister who was murdered and not her. :whistling:

and the riddle answer for me: Memory :mrgreen:

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Apr 20th, '12, 17:12

Issy wrote: That's if the murdered person was in fact the crown princess. we are leaning towards the idea that is her sister who was murdered and not her. :whistling:

and the riddle answer for me: Memory :mrgreen:
I think it's her. Unless the crowned princess dressed her sister like her. We see her clothes and hair. Also, I think the prince would recognize his own wife? We didn't see her face, but assume since all the eye witness says it's the crowned princess, it must be. Once they lifted her from the water, they should have seen her face. But I guess they could have thrown a curve ball on us because they never showed us her face.

I think they will re-enact the scene of the past in the future. The same situation will occur again and maybe this time he will witness it.

Jazzapple

Post by Jazzapple » Apr 20th, '12, 21:26

Yeah... Wanted to punch Se Na in the face again.
Ugh, that smug on her face at the end of episode eight... so annoying!
I really hope that this drama will be interesting, entertaining and fun 'till the last episode. I haven't been bored for a second, and that's very rare, because I always get pretty bored when a Kdrama reaches the middle... Not like the whole episode, but 10-25 minutes or something.

ziliey

Post by ziliey » Apr 21st, '12, 07:42

Ugh.. Why does SeNa always get the chance to gloat???
I am sick of Park Ha being the under dog??
When will she get to punch the nasty queen in her face??
And why won't nobody realize how evil she is??? O_O
I hate/love this!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 21st, '12, 07:52

tumblr realizes how evil b*tch she is.
RP BTS again

Issy

Post by Issy » Apr 21st, '12, 08:25

What does make it worse is that she doesn't have any logical reasons to be this evil. She has everything and her secrets are safe with people who know it. That's why I said there is no depth in her character and is a lousy evil one. Atleast you could see her motives back then in Joseon. I am still dreading watching this week's eps. Gloating characters make me :cussing:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 21st, '12, 08:35

Well, for me jealousy is pretty solid reason for a person's heart to rot. It happened to her. She was jealous over step-sister, so she left her in a truck. She's jealous over people having "good background", this is why she lied about her mother being in England. She's jealous over Lee Gak having fun with Park Ha, so she's trying to ruin that.
She was jealous in Joseon times - so she burned her sister's face.
She's having a lot of complexes, but she supresses them, and covers them with lies, more lies. She's just a pretty facade hiding really dark, malicious and cruel heart.

All over the world there are stories about siblings that are ruined because of jealousy. Hey, Cain and Abel, anyone?

Issy

Post by Issy » Apr 21st, '12, 08:51

I can see the jealousy behind her actions too. what I wanted to say is being jealous to be this evil is so cliché and simple reason. The writer has taken an easy short way. well, for a 16 ep rom-com drama this should be enough reason I guess!

DramaCherish

Post by DramaCherish » Apr 21st, '12, 11:25

So far the storyline is keeping me entertained. Yoo Chun definitely has improved his acting skill significantly. Lol. Loved his Prince attitude.

Jazzapple

Post by Jazzapple » Apr 21st, '12, 14:33

Ethlenn wrote:Well, for me jealousy is pretty solid reason for a person's heart to rot. It happened to her. She was jealous over step-sister, so she left her in a truck. She's jealous over people having "good background", this is why she lied about her mother being in England. She's jealous over Lee Gak having fun with Park Ha, so she's trying to ruin that.
She was jealous in Joseon times - so she burned her sister's face.
She's having a lot of complexes, but she supresses them, and covers them with lies, more lies. She's just a pretty facade hiding really dark, malicious and cruel heart.

All over the world there are stories about siblings that are ruined because of jealousy. Hey, Cain and Abel, anyone?
In the first episode, I kinda felt sorry for her. I didn't understand her actions, nor did I approve of them, but still... I didn't feel like she was a really bad person at all. I thought she was pitiful, just really pitiful...

But now... Oh boy. She's become plain evil! (':

ziliey

Post by ziliey » Apr 21st, '12, 15:36

Hahahaha I just checked out tumblr.
ppl are calling her spawn of satan and plotting her murder
it's hilarious! :D
I think Se Na is the most talked about character of this drama!
the spotlight is on her! :P

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Apr 21st, '12, 16:49

I thought the riddle to the answer was revealed way back in the early episode? The crown princess's sister told the crown prince it was a butterfly and he complimented her on her intelligence. I think he also offered her a reward. I forgot what she wanted though.

I think the actress is doing a pretty good job of portraying her character. Her previous role which I thought she was going to act evil turned out really weak and clingy which the role called for. Her current role has a huge change over her previous one she took. She's stronger and more aggressive now. She's pretty good at acting out her roles properly.

edit: I went back to re-watch ep 1 and it seems they blanked out the answer. Odd, I thought I read the sub mention butterfly....

Viande

Post by Viande » Apr 25th, '12, 12:10

Watched ep 8 to 10 with subs and the tumblr picture describes my feelings about Sena's character just perfectly. :twisted: But to be honest, I don't really like how Park Ha is taking all that crap either. It was good when she stood against her but sometimes her character just makes me want to shake her a bit; why can't she say the truth and stand up for herself. I really hate helpless characters, I hope she's not going to just stand there.

About who killed the crown princess:
I don't think the killed crown princess was her sister. I would assume they at least checked her face to confirm it was her. If not... *faceplam*

I suspect Tae Mu's father in Joseon might have something to do with the death. He seems most eager to get rid of her in modern time too. Like Seirin said, maybe Tae Mu and Sena had an affair at Joseon too. But we don't have any clues that he was also in Joseon... I doubt the crime is as simple as Bu Yong (/Park Ha) being be the killer.

Btw, didn't Park Ha read some book about Joseon time? Maybe she knows it but doesn't know what they're looking for.

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Apr 26th, '12, 10:40

Viande wrote:Watched ep 8 to 10 with subs and the tumblr picture describes my feelings about Sena's character just perfectly. :twisted: But to be honest, I don't really like how Park Ha is taking all that crap either. It was good when she stood against her but sometimes her character just makes me want to shake her a bit; why can't she say the truth and stand up for herself. I really hate helpless characters, I hope she's not going to just stand there.

About who killed the crown princess:
I don't think the killed crown princess was her sister. I would assume they at least checked her face to confirm it was her. If not... *faceplam*

I suspect Tae Mu's father in Joseon might have something to do with the death. He seems most eager to get rid of her in modern time too. Like Seirin said, maybe Tae Mu and Sena had an affair at Joseon too. But we don't have any clues that he was also in Joseon... I doubt the crime is as simple as Bu Yong (/Park Ha) being be the killer.

Btw, didn't Park Ha read some book about Joseon time? Maybe she knows it but doesn't know what they're looking for.
I had the same thought aout the crown princess:
How could they sheck her face,I thought that was a little stupid,I don\t think the sister that was killed because I don't see any gain from that !However I didn't think about TaeMu\s father being the killer,that would make sense!
And the three guys,didn't reincarnate in the present time ? Are they dead ?In the last episode, I found them so selfish, so if you don't want ParKah for your prince and you won't stay with her, let her date at least !
Plus if Parkha knew aout what really happened why didn't she change her way to see things,to react,, she read it then nothing changed,except letting us think about that!
ParkAh is getting officially on my nerves! :cussing:
P.S: Isn't that hot pink skirt beautiful ? :wub:

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Apr 26th, '12, 15:08

I've watched up to the end of episode 7, and I am LOVING Rooftop Prince. :thumleft:
This has to be one of the funniest series I have ever seen. I was laughing so hard at various points my guts were aching. RT features hot men who are FUNNY, tons of physical humour, and direction using just the right touch. What a treat. I am partial to "stranger(s) in a strange land" comedies, and Rooftop Prince is one of best so far. I know they're getting into the rom and drama side more and more... :unsure:
But keep the laughs coming boys!!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 27th, '12, 09:01

Just leaving this here:
RP OST part 3

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Apr 27th, '12, 10:13

Ethlenn wrote:Just leaving this here:
RP OST part 3
Oh Thaaaaaank you! :cheers:

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Apr 27th, '12, 16:01

Just throwing a question out there about the use of Joseon vs. modern Korean and honourifics vs. plain speech. Aside from the great physical humour, the language thing appears to be behind some of the best laughs in RP. I know zero Korean :-( but I've picked up on some of it due to body language, reactions of characters on the receiving end, etc.
D-Aers on this thread who understand Korean, how do you rate the language humour in RT?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 27th, '12, 16:08

rootabega wrote: D-Aers on this thread who understand Korean, how do you rate the language humour in RT?
First class but I'm biased.

Pay attention how Lee Gak speaks, he still uses the Joseon-styled speech (ending, pronouns etc.) Not to mention his merry bunch.

Issy

Post by Issy » Apr 27th, '12, 16:20

Ethlenn wrote:
rootabega wrote: D-Aers on this thread who understand Korean, how do you rate the language humour in RT?
First class but I'm biased.

Pay attention how Lee Gak speaks, he still uses the Joseon-styled speech (ending, pronouns etc.) Not to mention his merry bunch.
Yes, I LOVE his Joseon time dialect. it always makes me giggle every time he speaks. it reminds me of someone else talking like this too. :P

jubies33

Post by jubies33 » Apr 30th, '12, 05:05

wish i could understand korean a bit better. I am not good with language so i am a bit jealous of those that are... but through body language i can infer a bit. I still roll my eyes a bit
the fire when everyone but the firefighters show up
but without this it wouldn't be a k-drama. am i right? right? I am enjoying this drama quite a lot so far though. I have always loved Yoochun but I am really loving Han Ji Min's acting too. She really expresses her emotions through her eyes. I know not everyone likes her but I am impressed.
the kiss seemed a bit awkward but we will see.
for now :alcoholic: i am having fun tonight. need it after this loooong week.

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Apr 30th, '12, 12:21

jubies33:

Hidden:

I know! I was like WTH?
That whole fire episode was a bad joke from beginning to end. I was thinking did someone kidnap the director and let the janitor run the shoot? It was so poorly shot, blocked and acted I thought I was watching an Ed Wood Jr. movie ("Plan Nine From Outer Space"). Nice touch 1 - our hero carrying out our heroine from the pitifully burning flames - reminded me of Conan the Barbarian carting off his female prize at the end of a comic. Nice touch 2 - our hero finally remembering to cough once long after he's left a burnng building. Nice touch 3 - I thought I saw an insurance adjuster interviewing a witness - now that's who you need when a business catches fire. Calling the fire department in Korea is for wimps - it may even be unpatriotic
:rofl: :rofl: :doh: !

Neliets

Post by Neliets » May 2nd, '12, 20:26

You know what I find most amusing in this drama? The Joseon dialect beside modern Seoul dialect. I totally love it.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 2nd, '12, 20:57

Neliets wrote:You know what I find most amusing in this drama? The Joseon dialect beside modern Seoul dialect. I totally love it.
Language used in Joseon times is not a dialect. To have a dialect, there has to be a standard speech. So if Joseon-times language was a dialect then what would be the standard language?

Korean used from 17th century to present: is called Modern Korean (with sub-division of Contemporary Korean), and here are the pre-modern stages of Korean (I guess lot of us is fluent and can watch taeha/sageuk without subs):
Before 1st century: Proto-Korean
1st to 10th century: Old Korean
10th to 16th century: Middle Korean

Plus, there is a difference between vernacular and the language used by literati - we hear only the latter among Lee Gak and his merry bunch.

Any more questions?

rootabega

Post by rootabega » May 3rd, '12, 03:04

For those who've seen episode 12:
I'm sorry, but that was one lame, lame lameity lame kiss. If only our hero could have put as much vigour into the kissing as the painful-looking arm grabbing, that would have been one hot scene! Phooey. :thumbdown:
Otherwise, still loving the ride. The complications are really starting to pile up.
Ethlenn: Issy wrote: "Yes, I LOVE his Joseon time dialect." a few posts above. I'm a little perplexed by your reply to Netliets. Is Issy using incorrect terminology as well? :scratch:

Issy

Post by Issy » May 3rd, '12, 04:42

rootabega wrote: Otherwise, still loving the ride. The complications are really starting to pile up.
Ethlenn: Issy wrote: "Yes, I LOVE his Joseon time dialect." a few posts above. I'm a little perplexed by your reply to Netliets. Is Issy using incorrect terminology as well? :scratch:
Yes! I was the first one who used "dialect" word so I guess I must be using incorrect terminology. And to be honest I didn't know how else to describe it. Not all of us are expert in languages.
I have put RTP on hold since my last post therefore I have not been in this thread for a while. today just came to read some spoilers. Otherwise I would have said it myself first.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 3rd, '12, 06:36

I'm not regular here, so I missed.
When I see a mistake in things I know something about - I correct.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » May 3rd, '12, 12:29

Ethlenn wrote:
Neliets wrote:You know what I find most amusing in this drama? The Joseon dialect beside modern Seoul dialect. I totally love it.
Language used in Joseon times is not a dialect. To have a dialect, there has to be a standard speech. So if Joseon-times language was a dialect then what would be the standard language?

Korean used from 17th century to present: is called Modern Korean (with sub-division of Contemporary Korean), and here are the pre-modern stages of Korean (I guess lot of us is fluent and can watch taeha/sageuk without subs):
Before 1st century: Proto-Korean
1st to 10th century: Old Korean
10th to 16th century: Middle Korean

Plus, there is a difference between vernacular and the language used by literati - we hear only the latter among Lee Gak and his merry bunch.

Any more questions?
Good to know!

You are right, but pretty much everywhere(and in Korea) they call it dialect. At least that's what I've heard. Or I haven't been paying too much attention to it.

But it still doesn't change the fact that I love it :mrgreen:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 3rd, '12, 13:23

I have no problems with using the correct nomenclature. And I'm a terrorist in forcing everyone around to do the same.
Plus, they call it Joseon-mal (language of Joseon) not Joseon-saturi.

Anyway...
JYJ’s Kim Junsu will be singing an OST in support of group member Micky Yoochun who is starring in TV series “Rooftop Prince“.

SBS said, “The album of Kim Junsu which starts selling from May 15th will include OST for ‘Rooftop Prince’, this song will be made public through the drama before the album is launched. The song is composed by composer of ‘Secret Garden’ OST ‘That Woman’.”

Previously, Kim Junsu used to sang OST for drama “Scent of a Woman“, and received a good response.
The song of “Hate Love” or “Dislike Love” (사랑이 싫다구요) sang by Kim Junsu for “Rooftop Prince” tells the inseparable love story of Park Ha and Lee Gak in the drama, and has received attention from many fans.

Credit: asian-drama | Tips: Lee Choi
Rooftop BTS

Neliets

Post by Neliets » May 3rd, '12, 15:28

Ethlenn wrote:I have no problems with using the correct nomenclature. And I'm a terrorist in forcing everyone around to do the same.
Plus, they call it Joseon-mal (language of Joseon) not Joseon-saturi.
Up till know I hadn't even heard of a word nomenclature(don't worry, I checked it out already). And I do not mind you correcting my(or anyone's) mistakes, I kinda like that(seriously, I do).

Ok, I'll bare that in mind.

When I watch these kinds of videos of drama making, that's when I realize how good actors really have to be. But it's probably just me.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 4th, '12, 12:09

Neliets wrote:[
When I watch these kinds of videos of drama making, that's when I realize how good actors really have to be. But it's probably just me.
No, it's not only you. There are few of us who love BTS to bits. :mrgreen:

ziliey

Post by ziliey » May 4th, '12, 12:14

Is it just me or has anyone else been able to download the episodes 13 & 14 of Rooftop Prince and King 2 Hearts??

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 4th, '12, 14:08

Solving the mystery about the murder case of the crown princess will be the main story of SBS TV’s drama series Rooftop Prince towards the end.

In the 13th episode of Rooftop Prince that aired on May 3, Park Ha (played by Han Ji Min) and Hong Se Na (played by Jung Yumi)’s real mother Mrs. Jang (played by Na Young Hee) appeared again. Accordingly, it’s tipped that the fact that Park Ha and Hong Se Na are sisters will soon be revealed. It’s an important fact that implies their relationship in the Joseon Dynasty period and the present.

At the end of the episode, prince Lee Gak (played by JYJ’s Yoo Chun) realized how Park Ha and the crown princess were related. As he started to solve the mystery, it will be the main story towards the end of the series.

The producer Ahn Gil Ho says, “The first part of this series was about how the prince and his men would get used to the life of the present, the middle part was about the prince and Park Ha falling in love. The last part will mainly be about how they will solve the mystery about the murder case of the crown princess.”

Ahn also says, “As the prince tries to solve the mystery, you’ll be able to see the series’s strong plot.”

Source: TV Report
Credit: korea.com
I highly doubt Lee Gak's thinking abilities.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » May 4th, '12, 18:28

At risk of making myself look utterly stupid I have to mention something re the episode last night here in CA. I have only just started to rell;y watch this drama and never saw anything much about it before. However, last night when the two sisters were confronting one another after the mother was in the hospital there was a flashback. This showed the two sisters, and the yonger one was in the back of a truck and the older sister was ignoring the fact that the truck was driving away. This was her deliberate action. I have seen this scene before some time ago and I really thought it was from another drama. Am I hallucinating?

rootabega

Post by rootabega » May 5th, '12, 02:41

Ethlenn:
I second that. The crown prince may have been been well-educated and wise in the Joseon time period, but modern living seems to have taken a heavy toll on his brain cells. His sidekicks seem to have lost all of their special abilities, as well.
:sleeping:

rootabega

Post by rootabega » May 5th, '12, 02:45

Peggy:
Am I hallucinating?
Probably not. I haven't seen a ton of k-dramas, but wholesale recycling of dramatic events, even specific ones, doesn't seem out of the question. Drama viewing - it's deja vu all over again!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 5th, '12, 07:12

rootabega wrote:Ethlenn:
I second that. The crown prince may have been been well-educated and wise in the Joseon time period, but modern living seems to have taken a heavy toll on his brain cells. His sidekicks seem to have lost all of their special abilities, as well.
:sleeping:
Even in Joseon he was quite dumb. The question what kind of wife he'd like to have - he answers - pretty. Epic WTF moment from the whole court and officials (everyone would expect something along: wise, gentle, well-behaved, spirited, funky, whatever...)
And his sidekicks enjoy modern times way too much.

Plus, I had the feeling last 2 episodes were scattered, too much happened. OK, I'm fine with that, I can tie the ends together myself, but I'd like to see this drama ending the same way it started - that is awesome. And if they don't tie the ends (or make 2 channels out of 6 now), the viewers will stop watching, because it's too much of a brain processing for a normal fangirl.
Not only 4 characters have separated lines, there is a mystery about Princess' death and a mystery about Taeyong's death too.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » May 7th, '12, 03:06

I was not hallucinating. the scene was taken completely from a 2008 drama called Women in the Sun. Different young actresses but the scene was the same. Strange. I have seen battle and ocean sequences recreated in different dramas but this was a first for me to see a definite scene with actors and with same meaning shown in two different dramas.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 7th, '12, 21:21

Not sure if anyone mentioned that, but there was a seriously disturbing fact in eps 10-11.
Lee Gak a.k.a. The Idiot wanted to re-enact the marriage with Sena to check if the same thing would happen again. He was playing with her life. He was just putting her life on the line. Her and Park Ha's as well.
Oh well, he's a moron, so...

After catching up with all of the eps, I wouldn't call either Taemu or Sena just usual, shallow evil characters. they're pure Devil's spawn. Especially Taemu. He's the freaking murderer!

Plus, I found the allegory of lotus flower so enchanting^^
:wub:

rootabega

Post by rootabega » May 8th, '12, 03:25

Ethlenn:
You've put it so perfectly! It's disturbing how inhumane the idiot-prince's relations with Sena are. It only gets worse, too. I think Sena (praise to the actress) is a compelling villainess. Since she's the only character around with real intelligence and work ethic, I find myself almost rooting for her even though she's evil, evil, evil. And how about her "sister", Park Ha? Is she very intelligent? Nooo...Is she hard-working? Not really - unless you count living with the princeling an occupation. And worst of all, is she making use of any talent, however well hidden? Nooo... Hello, writers, falling down on the job much?
Taemu is an evil character without doubt- but it burns my rear when Lee Gak screams at others for being liars, etc. He's impersonating a dearly missed, long-lost/dead son, for gads sake. And shows zero remorse, to boot. :cussing:
Well, we're into the home stretch. I hope the writers can make the royal fencepost, aka Lee Gak, more interesting/less stupid.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 8th, '12, 05:41

Taemu and Sena fit each other perfectly, both lying and scheming, especially Sena. I liked how she couldn't bring herself to deny her being a liar. She's fully aware of it yet she's doing nothing to change that, because, at the end of a day - she feels good with it, it fences off all her complexes and keeps her safe.

Plus, this drama is filled with subtle little details - like slowly disappearing Merry Bunch. It's always just a flicker, but it's happening.
Oh, and Lee Gak is slowly starting to use his brain.

But now it's Taemu who has upper hand by knowing where real Taeyoung is. although this smirk on his face when he was at the airport was not nice at all. I wonder - did he kill Taeyoung again? Or ordered someone to do it? Or confirmed he doesn't remember anything. What's even more brilliant - now he has Sena's word allowing him to kill Taeyoung.

Well, as for Pak Ha, I have to give her one thing - she got some perseverance and she has talent for surviving.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 12th, '12, 20:29

OK, so ep 16 was so filled with happenings, twists and... yes, go-to-hell moments I almost fell from chair.
But in the middle of this, I kinda feel sad for Sena. one reason - she is the rejected one. Although she is also the bilogical daughter of President Jang, she is less welcome than her second daughter. Of course, for now, she doesn't know that, but it's us, viewers who know that.
That doesn't justify all those lies, schemes and evil things she has done, but somehow I can't stop thinking of her as Loki from Norse mythology. She's somewhat unloved, so she wants to destroy the happiness of those around her.

Ep 17 better come faster, or else... :cussing: :cussing:

BTW. I'm loving the make-up Na Younghee has (President Jang), seriously, ladies in kdramas have some really nice make-up, especially eyes.