[Discussion] Boys on the run (2012)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Romance

[Discussion] Boys on the run (2012)

Post by Romance » Jul 10th, '12, 09:10

Anyone else here who saw the first episode?
No subs yet as far i as i know but i hope it will be subbed so everyone can enjoy!

Let me just say that this is by far one of the funniest jdramas in a long long time! Wow!
Opinions?!  :D

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Jul 10th, '12, 10:23

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Jul 10th, '12, 20:15

I jsut finished the first episode, and I really enjoyed it. I can't remember, when I wahtched the last drama that was actually based on silly humour and slapstick. I think the last one was Densha Otoko, I think.

Half way through the episodes I suddenly realised, that I once read the manga. Because I know that I liked it, I'm looking forward to the next episodes even more. :) A big "thanks" to the Raw providers and the subber!

knuppeldik

Post by knuppeldik » Jul 10th, '12, 20:33

Reminded me a lot of "Moteki", just the same set-up with the protagonist being a loser but always very funny. Definitely one of my favourites this season!

Carsuke

Post by Carsuke » Jul 12th, '12, 12:55

Reminded me of Moteki too but Moteki was just way better. The acting is atrocious, particularly Maruyama.

Romance

Post by Romance » Jul 13th, '12, 02:46

Carsuke wrote:Reminded me of Moteki too but Moteki was just way better. The acting is atrocious, particularly Maruyama.
I thought moteki was quite boring, atleast compared to this!
And maruyama is perfect for the role! Its supposed to be anime-ish, and he does a great job at it! The people at 2chan who usually are really harsh concerning things like this, are also praising him for his efforts!

Ah... cant wait for ep 2! :-)
Last edited by Romance on Jul 13th, '12, 03:27, edited 2 times in total.

xnopex

Post by xnopex » Jul 13th, '12, 03:24

Carsuke wrote:Reminded me of Moteki too but Moteki was just way better. The acting is atrocious, particularly Maruyama.
hahah yessss i loved moteki!
i hope this drama has more of those brutally awkward moments like in moteki. i feel like a jerk for laughing at another's misery but moteki had me in stitches.

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Jul 13th, '12, 03:28

Romance wrote: And maruyama is perfect for the role! Its supposed to be anime-ish, and he does a great job!
I think so too! It ha a very anime-ish feeling to it, and that's what I like. And, by the way, the scene
in the love hotel at the beginning, where he failed to get an errection (who can blame him with this "woman", lol) I laughed SO HARD. When they symbolized it with the broken flower and the "crack" sound, that was just hillarious and brilliant. :D
Romance wrote: The people at 2chan who usually are really harsh concerning things like this, are also praising him to oblivion!
What did they say about Densha Otoko? :D
Romance wrote: Ah... cant wait for ep 2! :-)
Same here. :)

ps790

Post by ps790 » Jul 13th, '12, 21:20

This had all the worst aspects of the drama Moteki, i.e. a hero who is an awkward jerk, and completely unrealistic portrayal of all the female characters. For what it is worth, female-targeting dramas also often portray the opposite sex in an idealized unrealistic manner. But the females in this drama are two dimensional and could have walked out of one of the X rated videos that the hero collects. This drama clearly targets an adolescent male audience. This might be interesting for women to watch for understanding of the mindset of some adolescent males.

Carsuke

Post by Carsuke » Jul 13th, '12, 22:48

If this was realistic, that wouldn't be funny. But Moteki was way more subtle.

Carsuke

Post by Carsuke » Jul 16th, '12, 02:31

hahaha Episode 2's ending was so embarassing ... but funny.

semi-fly
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by semi-fly » Jul 29th, '12, 18:35

Is there any particular reason was Maruyama Ryuhei maintains a rather grimaced look on his face throughout episode 3? If I had to describe it I would say that It's a cross between being angry and just shy of a "I'm about to poop my pants" look. Can anyone suggest a reason for this?

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Aug 1st, '12, 04:23

Episode three was sweet, and now it gets really interesting for me, because episode three ends exactly at the point, at which I stopped reading the manga. :)

I really like, that they managed to capture this "manga" feeling with the anime. His slight overacting and overreacting makes this a little bit silly, but still fun to watch an not completely unrealistic. I really wonder
whi he will end up with? With his "actual" love (whose name I've forgotten) or with the boxing girl? I mean, I'm sure that he will end up with one girl, but I'm not sure which.

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Aug 12th, '12, 06:40

It's so sad, that somehoe not more people are watching this drama. It's really a breath of fresh air imho and they have captured themanga tmosphere so well. I have honestly no idea where this dorama is heading to...I expected the end of episode 4 beeing in the last episode...but I was wrong. I'm really excited to see what will happen. :)

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » Oct 3rd, '12, 11:03

It's certainly better than Moteki, imho. The male main character is of course a bit pathetic, but you can't help to root for him. Hana-chan is really cute and I enjoyed the fast pacing of the drama. It didn't drag on unneccesarily and while I thought Chiharu was a pretty unrealistic character I laughed a lot and had fun watching it. Recommended. Not ground breaking but really entertaining. (Although that scene when Tanishi saves Hana from the thugs was so disgusting! Even with the pixels, urgh)

GoneLeft

Post by GoneLeft » Oct 6th, '12, 17:50

MaiKitty wrote:It's certainly better than Moteki, imho. The male main character is of course a bit pathetic, but you can't help to root for him. Hana-chan is really cute and I enjoyed the fast pacing of the drama. It didn't drag on unneccesarily and while I thought Chiharu was a pretty unrealistic character I laughed a lot and had fun watching it. Recommended. Not ground breaking but really entertaining. (Although that scene when Tanishi saves Hana from the thugs was so disgusting! Even with the pixels, urgh)
Its too bad that show this was immediately compared to Moteki, because the comparison became invalid very quickly. The story also was able to expand beyond its premise and tell a complete story, something Moteki failed to do as a TV drama.

I really enjoyed Boys on the Run's portrayal of a natural loser who won the esteem of those around him through his determination to better himself and his efforts to do the right thing. It was great to see that while he remained a loser with bad luck and limited skill, his personal growth was significant. His convictions to stand by those he cared for resulted in an ad-hoc network of family and friends assembling around him, and resulted in a number of convincing climactic scenes that extended naturally from the plot.

I loved that this drama didn't use any sort of last ditch dramatic gestures like so many other dramas rely on to wrap up their plots.

Carsuke

Post by Carsuke » Oct 8th, '12, 22:52

Moteki is much more fun and that's just was it was intended to so, being fun. Boys on the Run ended being cool but nowhere as sexy and cool as Moteki, not to mention some atrocious pieces of acting at times.

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Oct 9th, '12, 14:36

I think both dramas, Moteki and Boys of the Run have their amenities! I like both dramas very much. You have to accept the crazy and absurd plot. Moteki is absurd like Boys of the Run, but they are both damn funny and some aspects are like in the real world, although not so extreme as in the dramas! Moteki and Boys of the Run shares the same genre and when you dislike the genre it's a pity for you in general :D Ah, and i think the characters of Moteki and Boys of the Run have all their own special qualities and weakening, so for me i can't say "this is better than that"... I hope there will be more dramas of this (special) genre!

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » Oct 9th, '12, 17:47

For me in the end I think that Boys on the Run's main character showed much more growth as a person than Motekis'. I loved that in the end the really important thing was "family" to him and that the obsession with sex, sex, sex was not that important anymore. Motekis main guy didn't really connect with me that way. But I really like the female actresses of Moteki. :) And it's been a while since I watched Moteki so I don't know, I might be wrong about his character at the end, but I remember that I wasn't a fan of the guy. :|

GoneLeft

Post by GoneLeft » Oct 10th, '12, 02:32

MaiKitty wrote:For me in the end I think that Boys on the Run's main character showed much more growth as a person than Motekis'. I loved that in the end the really important thing was "family" to him and that the obsession with sex, sex, sex was not that important anymore. Motekis main guy didn't really connect with me that way. But I really like the female actresses of Moteki. :) And it's been a while since I watched Moteki so I don't know, I might be wrong about his character at the end, but I remember that I wasn't a fan of the guy. :|

I loved the character growth in Boys on the Run! It was fantastic to see his relationships with those around him evolve, and even when other people decided to terminate or weaken those relationships, it was his actions that strengthened them again. Truly a case of a good character relying on his values to make a happy ending.

While I was not a fan of the show, I agree with the praise for the female actresses in Moteki. They all did a fantastic job.

GoneLeft

Post by GoneLeft » Oct 10th, '12, 14:57

Speaking of female actresses, I'd love to see Airi Taira in more dramas. Her energy is different from the standard style of love interest used on Japanese television, and I think her casting was a great choice for Boys on the Run.