[Discussion] Rich Man Poor Woman

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jul 19th, '12, 08:30

Can anyone explain to me what does NEXT INNOVATION do as a company? What do they actually sell? Do they sell only technical system/technology they created or other things too? I don't quite understand when Hyuga said:
"There's no actual product to start with". I mean, don't they sell things like software cd or something like that too? How there's no actual product?

semi-fly
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by semi-fly » Jul 19th, '12, 10:03

Honestly the way they portray the main character I had the sinking feeling that it was their "product" was social media and well that he was a pseudo-Mark Zuckerberg type (I kept getting flashes of "The Social Network" during the first episode --- but I think I'm in the minority of this one) of character (every time you see him "hacking away" at some bit of code either on his desktop or when he uses a pane of glass to write a bit of code).

I'd venture to guess that if they were selling something (tangible) Sawaki Chihiro would get involved in some manner down the road.

brokenparadise

Post by brokenparadise » Jul 19th, '12, 10:30

yanie wrote:Can anyone explain to me what does NEXT INNOVATION do as a company? What do they actually sell? Do they sell only technical system/technology they created or other things too? I don't quite understand when Hyuga said:
"There's no actual product to start with". I mean, don't they sell things like software cd or something like that too? How there's no actual product?
Games? Virtual space/money. Specialized items for games or applications for social networking and mobile. I think he meant no tangible product. They pretty much deal virtually through without old-school packaging & sending.

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Jul 19th, '12, 16:39

brokenparadise wrote:Games? Virtual space/money. Specialized items for games or applications for social networking and mobile. I think he meant no tangible product. They pretty much deal virtually through without old-school packaging & sending.
Yes, that's what they do. They simply sell "virtual" products (like he said in episode 1), things that only exist on the computer, but not in reality. I think they're doing "social media" stuff" too. It's like a mixture between Facebook and a "social media free to play" game studio.

It's a little bit like in reality: Facebook or Apple don't contribute anything really usefull to the world, stillt they're worth billions. In fact, Apples (who only builds "hip" tech-gimmicks) market capitalization is much higher then these of conglomerate companys like GE or Siemens, who build everything from a toaster up to a nuclear power plant. Strange world.

totally_0bsessed

Post by totally_0bsessed » Jul 19th, '12, 23:31

I really like the second episode and I'm super curious with Arata's character though I don't think he'll end as a villain. Chihiro confuses me more and more as the episode progresses and I can't pinpoint why. XD

counsel05

Post by counsel05 » Jul 20th, '12, 02:18

A little off-topic for me and I know this may not be news for real fans and followers alike, but I was surprised and shock to know just now that Oguri Shun is MARRIED already.
WHAT? :goggle: :unsure: :scratch:
I am used to know that japanese actors particularly the popular ones get married late or even some don't get married at all.
What a waste Shun and Satomi is a good pair for me. :P
Anyway, 2 more days and another episode to watch. :-)

xnopex

Post by xnopex » Jul 20th, '12, 02:28

counsel05 wrote:A little off-topic for me and I know this may not be news for real fans and followers alike, but I was surprised and shock to know just now that Oguri Shun is MARRIED already.
WHAT? :goggle: :unsure: :scratch:
I am used to know that japanese actors particularly the popular ones get married late or even some don't get married at all.
What a waste Shun and Satomi is a good pair for me. :P
Anyway, 2 more days and another episode to watch. :-)
hahah yeah this was a few months ago i think? he got married to yamada yu. two great actors pairing up <3

avieamber
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by avieamber » Jul 20th, '12, 02:46

despite the flashy setup and like someone said earlier, this looks like kdrama, though I don't watch kdramas at all, but i do see some similarities (glimpses of few dramas from my friends)...I still love this show. Maybe because of the whole working environment, I love companies that are not conventional and typical, and needless to say, this Next Innovation is like a dream company to work with. They have a FUN ROOM :lol

Besides that, the characters are loveable, and just easy to relate to. So far i think the actors are doing great job, even Aibu Saki who I don't normally notice. Definitely watching but I can smell how it might get into some sappy romance (let's hope it won't turn out like a typical kdrama).

totally_0bsessed

Post by totally_0bsessed » Jul 20th, '12, 05:28

avieamber wrote: So far i think the actors are doing great job, even Aibu Saki who I don't normally notice.
lol. I agree. Normally I find her roles a bit boring except for the one in Buzzer Beat but she's doing really well here too. I'm only bothered by the way they style her character. She looks older in it but that's just me. :P

ilovejdramas

Post by ilovejdramas » Jul 20th, '12, 05:33

Anyone of you likes the theme song of this drama, Hikari e by: Miwa? I'd like to share the radio rip of it: http://www.mediafire.com/?x93xpi3vwpg9qte
I'm so in love with the song! ♥ I like it when this song plays whenever there's a Hyuga and Chihiro moment. :D

prechuz_azn

Post by prechuz_azn » Jul 21st, '12, 11:02

I love this drama so far. Oguri Shun and Aibu Saki are my biases xD. I never heard of ishihara Satomi but oh my, she is so pretty! She reminds me of Shin Se Kyung. I don't normally watch jdoramas but I decided to start watching them again after watching Jin and Jin 2. I forgot how awesome and unlengthy jdoramas were. 11~ episodes seems like hardly nothing when you compare it to Korean dramas which average at 16 episodes!!!

I really look forward to this drama and its totally not like Korean drama. Its presented differently from Korean dramas and the quirks of the main characters are a little different from typical Korean drama rich men and "poor women." The "poor woman" in this drama isn't even poor she is just unemployed and average.

The OST is the bomb!!!! Miwa - Hikari E sounds like such a fun and upbeat song. I'm currently listening to it on playback. And thank you to the poster above for your download link of the radio rip
Last edited by prechuz_azn on Jul 23rd, '12, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 22nd, '12, 00:10

@prechuz_azn: why are you screaming? We can read you well.

Anyway, is it possible for the Vice-Minister Fujikawa to be Hyuga's mother? He's 29 and the actress is listed as guest on ep 1 only (she was on ep 2 too) so it's unlikely but still...

Plus, can everyone please stop comparing? Especially those who haven't seen any Kdramas, only one or few glimpses? Thank you.

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Jul 22nd, '12, 01:50

Ethlenn wrote:Anyway, is it possible for the Vice-Minister Fujikawa to be Hyuga's mother? He's 29 and the actress is listed as guest on ep 1 only (she was on ep 2 too) so it's unlikely but still...
I can't eliminate the possibility, but I think she was probably only the "tool" for giving Hyuga a reason to hire Sawaki and to initiate the "background" plot. If this was a Kdrama though, she'd be his mother. ;)

Ethlenn wrote:Plus, can everyone please stop comparing?
Come on, really? It's a discussion thread, but one is not allowed to discuss certain aspects of the drama? I honestly don't see the problem, especially because there are no people stating things like: "OMG this drama totally sucks because it'S a kdrama and kdramas are all bad!!!11". As long as the discussion stays away from things like that, I really don't see the issue here...

doramaworld

Post by doramaworld » Jul 22nd, '12, 09:14

For those who are interested, please go to my blog for a review of the 1st episode: http://doramaworld.blogspot.com

Just to add to the discussion, some of the things highlighted e.g. the makeover scene, the Cinderella premise aren't exactly new to K-dramas nor J-dramas. Long long ago, one of the classic Cinderella stories in J-dramaland was Imouto Yo where Karasawa Toshiaki was the "prince" and Wakui Emi was the "poor girl". There are some differences here in Hyuga and Sawaki's backgrounds though so I think the writer did make an effort to be different. I guess if something works well and is good at drawing viewers, J-dramas or K-dramas would still use it no matter how many times it had been used by others.

I have to say that although this drama stuck to the fail-proof formula of past Cinderella stories for pretty much of the first episode, the fake name twist should pull in more viewers to stay on for a while longer just to know how Hyuga and Sawaki are related. I just hope that they won't overdo it and give a lousy explanation at the end.

Micenation

Post by Micenation » Jul 22nd, '12, 11:09

I registered after I saw the discussion regarding this drama has a more kdrama style. Hehehe

Actually, this drama has more of Hong Kong and Chinese business central dramas. Regarding the styling, and the camera angle. Japanese style evolved, it fashion industry is very diverse, what they're wearing in this drama is what's "in" currently in their industry. What they're wearing, you'll also find in London, China, and Hong Kong, it's the current trend. (Shun's business attires are mostly seen in London, and New York these days)

Camera angles, it's what's in, and evolved from years ago, though the camera angles and presentation they shown are more close to current modern Chinese dramas. But, it's still the same teaching from same industry. Directors who go to school to catch up to the current trend of filming and directing will get accesses to all these new systems. Thus, you will see the same cinematography and camera angles in all type of dramas. Actually, dramas these days have cinematography of movies.

Don't just watch idol dramas from JP and compared it to Kdramas. Watch the more serious jdramas and you'll see the different. Also take a look at dramas from other countries, whether in Asias or the West. You'll see that they have similar cinematography, and styling according to the era they're in. The differences are presentations, storyline and acting.

And, I can't wait for next week, or Monday to come ><. I'm hooked, from the great soundtrack and to be able to look at Tokyo in 2012 as a sets.

Also, this story is definitely inspired by companies like Facebook and Apples, and Shun character is a combination of Mark Zuckerberg, Steve Jobs and maybe Sean Parker. How you can tell, look at Shun's manners when he gives presentation. He is a bit of an oddball when he talk, distinct style like Steve Jobs and very cunning like Sean Parker. I don't know if Bill Gates is also in there lol.

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Jul 22nd, '12, 15:32

I really like this drama because it's a romance, but also a strong focus on a guy that is a genius and society changing entrepreneur. One of the better, or best drama this season so far. Great characters and crazy hair in there..lol.

I could see why anybody would compare this to Korean dramas. Korean dramas are mostly about rich guy, no to rich girl, and corporations. That being said, it would be dumb to act like it's Korean or copying Korean because it's about rich guy, not so rich girl, and business. That's been happening well before Koreans being doing that. It's just that the Koreans are obsessed with the concept.

I watched many Korean dramas, but I like the Japanese way better. It's just part of the diversity that J-drama has to offer and Japanese style of tv. Hopefully this doesn't start a trend where most J-dramas involve constant bickering, rich guy not so rich girl, and corporations.

counsel05

Post by counsel05 » Jul 23rd, '12, 09:39

Excited to see episode 3 tonight. I wonder if there is anybody here who knows where we can watch this show live via streaming?

Thanks.

sora_cantabile

Post by sora_cantabile » Jul 23rd, '12, 10:15

counsel05 wrote:Excited to see episode 3 tonight. I wonder if there is anybody here who knows where we can watch this show live via streaming?

Thanks.
I usually watchit via keyhole tv..
bad quality, tho... :P

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jul 23rd, '12, 11:41

Keyhole is awful in the past 1-2 years, I prefer to wait for 5-6 hours after the episode aired in Japan, for it to be up on pandora or FC2 sites. I'll share the links here if you want^^

sal18

Post by sal18 » Jul 23rd, '12, 14:38

i really loved the firts two ep! even if i don't really like oguri shun, in this drama i have to admit that he really acts well. his character is very interesting and i totally look forward to seeing how not only the character, but also the drama itself will develop! uh, anyone knows the title of the song in the scene when Chihiro says to oguri "my name is sawaki chihiro" at the conference of next innovation (ep. 01)? ^^

ejaxene

Post by ejaxene » Jul 23rd, '12, 17:18

yanie wrote:Keyhole is awful in the past 1-2 years, I prefer to wait for 5-6 hours after the episode aired in Japan, for it to be up on pandora or FC2 sites. I'll share the links here if you want^^
Please do share links here! :)

prechuz_azn

Post by prechuz_azn » Jul 23rd, '12, 17:43

Ethlenn wrote:@prechuz_azn: why are you screaming? We can read you well.

Anyway, is it possible for the Vice-Minister Fujikawa to be Hyuga's mother? He's 29 and the actress is listed as guest on ep 1 only (she was on ep 2 too) so it's unlikely but still...

Plus, can everyone please stop comparing? Especially those who haven't seen any Kdramas, only one or few glimpses? Thank you.
How was my post "screaming"? The font was just slightly bigger because I wanted it to be easier to read. But whatever if you're going to be a jerk about it, I just changed it. Hope you're happy. ****.

-JN

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jul 23rd, '12, 22:11

xnopex

Post by xnopex » Jul 23rd, '12, 23:23

ahh thank you so much! keyhole has been REALLY bad. i'm glad there's an alternative.

counsel05

Post by counsel05 » Jul 24th, '12, 01:43

OMG! Though i wanted to wait for the subs to come out and make my comments
I can't resist to make one right now. This jdrama is moving fast. :D
Lots of interactions among characters, revelations come out and conflicts start to heighten. :argue:

Shun is portraying his character well and so is Satomi.
The mystery behind the mom's name come out in the open.
It seems that both women have met hyuga in the past.
Plot thickens and I'm loving it.
After the subs i will definitely make another round of rants & raves. :lol
BTW thanks yanie for the link. :-)

nikesma

Post by nikesma » Jul 24th, '12, 04:37

I know, right! I like the pace.
It's great that they dont wait the mom secret to be out in second half of the series. I wonder what her real name is (or is it out, her real name?). I'm so happy that Hyuga cant help but noticed her and go to her. Though he looks indifferent when he's with her, he probably restraining himself. (I want to think that way. HEHE)

What;s more interesting is the conflict within Asahina. I really wanted to know what that guy actually said to Asahina. He probably feeling inferior right now? He wanted Hyuga to be the same, ne? But I think Hyuga's been slowly influenced by 'Chihiro' and changing and that's probably why Asahina hates it? :scratchchin:

Ah, the wait is killing me!

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jul 24th, '12, 05:02

Some plots went faster than I expected.
-Hyuga's mother mystery revelation.
-At the end, Hyuga found out abt her fake name and fired her. Usually this would happen around Ep6, lol.
-Ep4 preview shows Hyuga and Asahina are in strong disagreement in business and seem like Asahina would leave the company anytime soon. Usually this would happen around Ep8, lol

Makes me wonder what should we expect in the 2nd half of the series :roll

ilovejdramas

Post by ilovejdramas » Jul 24th, '12, 10:50

yanie wrote:Some plots went faster than I expected.
-Hyuga's mother mystery revelation.
-At the end, Hyuga found out abt her fake name and fired her. Usually this would happen around Ep6, lol.
-Ep4 preview shows Hyuga and Asahina are in strong disagreement in business and seem like Asahina would leave the company anytime soon. Usually this would happen around Ep8, lol

Makes me wonder what should we expect in the 2nd half of the series :roll

Yes! I also didn't expect those things would happened on ep 3! :O Hopefully this drama wouldn't be like Aibu Saki's drama, Rebound. The story went fast until the story messed up. (Though I still enjoyed watching it)
I wonder what does Hyuga and Asahina are arguing about. Is it something to do with Chihiro?

counsel05

Post by counsel05 » Jul 25th, '12, 18:15

Thanks for this link. I wonder if you or anybody else here knows where we can watch
It with english subs in mobile version? Its convenient for me to watch
my dramas using my phone and
Some sites for mobile version can't play their episodes. Hope somebody here could help.

Thanks.

ilovejdramas

Post by ilovejdramas » Jul 25th, '12, 19:30

counsel05 wrote:
Thanks for this link. I wonder if you or anybody else here knows where we can watch
Some sites for mobile version can't play their episodes. Hope somebody here could help.

Thanks.
I watch it thru mobile sometimes at dramacrazy.net and it works! :) here's the link: http://www.dramacrazy.net/japanese-dram ... episode-3/
Hope it helps! :D

ilovejdramas

Post by ilovejdramas » Jul 25th, '12, 19:33

Okay, so I just watched the 1min preview for episode 4 at their site: http://www.fujitv.co.jp/richman-poorwom ... index.html
After being directed, click the image of Hyuga and Asahina where you could see the play icon at the lower part.
I was totally surprised at the end! I was like Oh my gosh! :O

semi-fly
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by semi-fly » Jul 26th, '12, 02:03

So how much of Hyunga's prosopagnosia is supposed to play into the overall story? I can't tell from the end of episode 3 or the preview that was attached if his comment to Sawaki about not recognizing her was just his way of reminder her that he never wants to see her again (after revealing that she was using a false identity) or if he truely doesn't recognize her. My issue is that if the writers plan on using prosopagnosia as the sole issue then they need to realize that people with such a disorder are still able to recognize peolpe based on other aspects not necessarily related to their faces.

counsel05

Post by counsel05 » Jul 26th, '12, 03:06

ilovejdramas wrote:
counsel05 wrote:

Thanks.
I watch it thru mobile sometimes at dramacrazy.net and it works! :) here's the link: http://www.dramacrazy.net/japanese-dram ... episode-3/
Hope it helps! :D
Thanks for the link. This is actually one of the sites where I watch my dramas, unfortunately the videos here won't play in iphone (unless you buy the app for flash player). :cry:
I guess I have to make use of my laptopn for viewing it.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jul 26th, '12, 03:41

semi-fly wrote:So how much of Hyunga's prosopagnosia is supposed to play into the overall story? I can't tell from the end of episode 3 or the preview that was attached if his comment to Sawaki about not recognizing her was just his way of reminder her that he never wants to see her again (after revealing that she was using a false identity) or if he truely doesn't recognize her. My issue is that if the writers plan on using prosopagnosia as the sole issue then they need to realize that people with such a disorder are still able to recognize peolpe based on other aspects not necessarily related to their faces.
But how they can recognise people if they have no face perception in the first place? They probably know and remember all people related/connected/involved with them and around them but they just can't recognise them whenever they meet. That's why they need a reminder each time to remember who is who. Is not that they can't remember names. Here is where they gets confused. Like everyone in Hyuga's company say that he can't remember their names but he actually does know them all.

In ep1 I think they mentioned that Hyuga does not remember "boring/uninteresting" people so in chehiro's case, she is no longer a reminder of his mother name so he can't remember her anymore. Although I'm wondering if this actually happens in reality. Like they assign each face to something memorable so they can recognise some faces. Saying this, I kind of feel that he might be just saying he does not remember her but he actually does. Or just a basic storyline of doing something memorable so he will recognise her for her own merit by the end. I guess this is something we won't know till half way through drama. You can't really tell now by only 3eps.
Last edited by Issy on Jul 26th, '12, 03:49, edited 1 time in total.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jul 26th, '12, 03:48

From his facial expression and speaking tone, I think it was obvious that Hyuga just don't wanna see her anymore, not that he really don't recognize her.

hopeful_colour

Post by hopeful_colour » Jul 26th, '12, 04:18

If you mention about the 4th ep and whether or not he remember haruka like the preview in the end of ep 3.

In my opinion, it's not that he does not remember her. Actually, some1 who betray you with a false identity never gets out of your mind that easily but stick in for long.

I think that he is wandering who she really is and she has any connection with his past and he feels helpless that he could not remember her.

One more detail is that Haruka also mentions in ep 3 that he went to her place in search for his mother => gives Hyuga clue that they knew each other before ^ ^

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jul 26th, '12, 07:51

Actually Haruka is her bestfriend's name, Haruka is not young Sawaki Chihiro's real name. I think her real name has not been revealed yet.

Something bothers me:
I thought she's a Toudai graduate, but in her story, she told that day she met Hyuga for the first time, was the day she failed Toudai's entrance exam. Does this mean she also lied about this, or did she take the entrance exam twice and passed the 2nd time?
But from the way, she said it, "Oh right, it was when I failed Todai"... with no additional words of "the first time", I'm assuming that she's not really a Todai graduate...

I hope I'm wrong, if its true, I'm a bit disappointed that she even lied abt Todai.

counsel05

Post by counsel05 » Jul 26th, '12, 07:59

Actions is universal and really speaks louder than words. Although I watched ep3 first with no subs, my understanding of their actions was almost close/similar to what really happened after watching it again with subs. :D

I made a little research (thanks google & wikipedia) about Prosopagnosia and may I say my brain was stirred a little for understanding this disorder. well based on my simple understanding this is more of a congenital type than a brain damage per se. And since there are 3 types of the disorder i cannot clearly say what type he is into, although we know that he may know them or the people he encounter based on what he personally knows about them or associates them with but just cannot identify them by face. Perhaps the comment about can't recall if a person is boring/uninteresting may be true. I guess one has to make a big impact to him so he can recall them. Like his mom, asahina, yoko (though he forgot at first) and sakaguchi (after he rehired him). I am not sure if his disorder is what it is being claimed to be or not coz it appears that he is improving in recalling people's faces. I wonder if he ever forgets Asahina's face too? it appears that he don't.

As the plot thickens and moving faster unexpectedly, Hyug';s character is revolving or should I say improving. well, people with great minds have their own quirky character & behavior. Hyuga's no different from that, maybe that's the reason he is great, coz even people who don't like them cannot dislike them. That's how great he is.

asahina is challenged by Sakaguchi that's why he is mad. In fact he is getting jealous on why hyuga gave him the chance to be like them because he himself probably wanted to become one but has no confidence to do it by himself. He can't accept the fact that sakaguchi dared to say it IN HIS FACE that he is a coward that cannot lose. asahina's character development is interesting to watch on how it will unfold and change.

I like how Yoko is so honest and up front to everything. she is not the typical jdrama actress that conceals their feelings. She knows what she wants and she will do anything to get it. She can smell competition :thumright: that explains I guess the preview for ep4.

So what would be "sawaki chihiro's" name now that she is no longer the sawaki we know?

May i say that i still have lots of questions about Hyuga's mom. This aspect of the story can still be explored by the writer i guess.

Lastly, Sawaki is not forgotten. Hyuga is clearly denying it. remember what the monk said: "It's weird about the name ... but he she evokes things for you." :wub:

crimsonskyx

Post by crimsonskyx » Jul 26th, '12, 08:40

This drama is making me go crazy! Its been a long while since I enjoyed a Jdorama as much as I am enjoying Rich Man, Poor Woman! The writing is not outstanding but the actors are so spot on that the show shines. I know Jdoramas are short & sweet but I wouldn't mind watching this show everyday~ its just so darn GOOD!

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jul 26th, '12, 10:12

counsel05 wrote:So what would be "sawaki chihiro's" name now that she is no longer the sawaki we know?
I just read synopsis for Ep4 on the website and they still refer to the female lead as Chihiro, so I think its fine if we still refer to her as Sawaki Chihiro too :P

semi-fly
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by semi-fly » Jul 26th, '12, 10:24

@Issy To be honest the way the company is run (i.e., a lottery type system to see who stays and who goes) I think it would difficult for a number of people to remember who X is or who Y is because at some point you just stop trying to remember who they are and worry more about making it look like (or being) a more productive asset for the company.
For the vast majority, the problem is not so much about detecting a face--prosopagnosics can see eyes, noses and mouths as clearly as anyone else--as it is about recognizing the same set of features when seeing them again. It's a disability that complicates everything from following a movie plot to picking a perp out of a lineup. While mild prosopagnosics can train themselves to memorize a limited number of faces (it's said to be like learning to distinguish one stone from another), others grapple with identifying family members and, in extreme cases, their own face. (Credit: Time Magazine; Do I Know You? By Sora Song 17 July, 2006)

nikesma

Post by nikesma » Jul 26th, '12, 14:12

ilovejdramas wrote:Okay, so I just watched the 1min preview for episode 4 at their site: http://www.fujitv.co.jp/richman-poorwom ... index.html
After being directed, click the image of Hyuga and Asahina where you could see the play icon at the lower part.
I was totally surprised at the end! I was like Oh my gosh! :O
Uwaahhh... darn it.
Does that mean Chihiro witness it? Hate that Yoko gets the first kiss. Rawr.

I wish someone could translate that text preview.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jul 26th, '12, 14:42

yanie wrote:Actually Haruka is her bestfriend's name, Haruka is not young Sawaki Chihiro's real name. I think her real name has not been revealed yet.

Something bothers me:
I thought she's a Toudai graduate, but in her story, she told that day she met Hyuga for the first time, was the day she failed Toudai's entrance exam. Does this mean she also lied about this, or did she take the entrance exam twice and passed the 2nd time?
But from the way, she said it, "Oh right, it was when I failed Todai"... with no additional words of "the first time", I'm assuming that she's not really a Todai graduate...

I hope I'm wrong, if its true, I'm a bit disappointed that she even lied abt Todai.
No I don't think she has lied about her university. he has retaken the exam again and passed second time but she was definitely in Toudai university. when she was working in that restaurant and was giving food order, the old guy said " Toudai students are great" or something like that but it was not in the subs. why would she lie about this to the restaurant owner ?
and her friend did call her Haruka in ep1. I just checked it.

nikesma

Post by nikesma » Jul 26th, '12, 22:51

You're right, Issy. Her friends called her Haruka. That's her name, I guess. and yanie I dont think she lied about the toudai. She probably failed the first time, and retake the exam and got in. :-)

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jul 26th, '12, 23:25

nikesma wrote:You're right, Issy. Her friends called her Haruka. That's her name, I guess. and yanie I dont think she lied about the toudai. She probably failed the first time, and retake the exam and got in. :-)
I just checked again. Ep1 7:50 right? That's not her friend calling the female lead, but it was the female lead calling her friend. You can see that the friend's lips wasn't saying 'Haruka', she was just smiling widely.
I have also checked the Japanese subtitles. It shows that the one saying 'Haruka' was Chihiro, because only the next line is labeled as Haruka's line.

00:08:20,623 --> 00:08:23,626
《遙香。 遙香》 Haruka, Haruka!
(遙香)《久賀っちも 一緒》 (Haruka) I'm here with Hisaka too.

It is also written in wikipedia and official website that the female lead's bestfriend's name is Ono Haruka. The female lead stays 'Sawaki Chihiro', there has been no change yet.

And you're right, the subs left it out, but Haruka actually said to Chihiro, "Failed? The first time?". I just checked the Japanese subs, so I guess she did take the exam twice. Glad she's really a Todai graduate :-)

totally_0bsessed

Post by totally_0bsessed » Jul 27th, '12, 05:12

I had so many feeling on episode 3. :P
I can't wait for Mondays!

ilovejdramas

Post by ilovejdramas » Jul 27th, '12, 06:06

Thanks for the link. This is actually one of the sites where I watch my dramas, unfortunately the videos here won't play in iphone (unless you buy the app for flash player). :cry:
I guess I have to make use of my laptopn for viewing it.
Hmm..try in mysoju: http://www.mysoju.com/japanese-drama/ri ... oor-woman/
I hope this site works on your phone. :)

Romance

Post by Romance » Jul 27th, '12, 09:11

I bashed this drama in the beginning of this thread... i take it back!
Gave it one more chance and this drama is pretty sweet! :D Cant wait for next ep!

crimsonskyx

Post by crimsonskyx » Jul 31st, '12, 04:35

OMG episode 4 was amazing :D
I'm so happy Natsui Makoto (Sawaki Chihoro) got to use her real name~ Hyuga is so friggin amazing!
Nooooo the end of the episode was sad :cry:
But episode fives preview made up for it somehow :w00t:
This show needs to air like.... everyday!!!
Last edited by crimsonskyx on Jul 31st, '12, 04:45, edited 1 time in total.

totally_0bsessed

Post by totally_0bsessed » Jul 31st, '12, 04:40

crimsonskyx wrote:OMG episode 4 was amazing :D
I'm so happy Natsui Makoto (Sawaki Chihoro) got to use her real name~ Hyuga is so friggin amazing!
Can't stay away from spoilers! I'm so excited to see the episode 4 more now! :P
(but I have to wait for the subs XD)

crimsonskyx

Post by crimsonskyx » Jul 31st, '12, 04:54

totally_0bsessed wrote: Can't stay away from spoilers! I'm so excited to see the episode 4 more now! :P
(but I have to wait for the subs XD)
I know what you mean!!! But I just couldn't help myself :cry:
I can't wait to see Toru & Makoto spending time together alone!!! Its gonna be so amazing!!! Makoto better bring her A game or else she might lose Toru to Yoko :cry:

nikesma

Post by nikesma » Jul 31st, '12, 07:24

Another great episode!
I'm so nervous about what's going to happen to Asahina and Hyuga. How could he say that at the end? It seems that a lot going to happen in the next episode and it's just Tuesday. Gahh!! Anyway, love all interactions between Hyuga and Makoto. and how he realize that it's horrible not to remember, while when he does not remember Yoko, he doesn't feel that way. Heeehehe~~~
Can't wait next episode!

Oh, I don't know why but I felt it
incredibly sexy when he said "I haven't heard your name," in a slow voice in front of everyone!
Kyyaaa!!

ilovejdramas

Post by ilovejdramas » Jul 31st, '12, 14:20

I'm so excited on ep5! :) I'm totally hooked with this drama! :wub:
I just didn't liked that Yoko (Aibu Saki) kissed Hyuga then Makoto caught them! :cry:
I like Aibu from zettai kareshi but I'm now starting to dislike her role. :scratch:

Good thing this scene made me smile.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jul 31st, '12, 15:17

I don't really like Aibu Saki much so I guess the time has come for her to start annoying me. :whistling:

semi-fly
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by semi-fly » Aug 1st, '12, 00:03

Issy: what about her character do you not like (I assume it involves something outside the notion that she's not part of the OTP and thus will make a mess of their "destiny")?

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 1st, '12, 00:46

semi-fly wrote:Issy: what about her character do you not like (I assume it involves something outside the notion that she's not part of the OTP and thus will make a mess of their "destiny")?
Well so far, I'm not hating the character. I just dislike the actress.
But I do hate 2nd lead characters who are simply there just to ruin the "destined" characters get together and serve no other purpose in overall story. I've seen enough of those and they are pretty annoying. I hope her characters won't be one of those.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Aug 1st, '12, 04:03

I didn't like Aibu much too but come to like her after I saw her in Rebound. Well, at least her character iin RMPW isn't a b**ch like she was in Buzzer Beat^^
We finally get a real name!^^ Natsui Makoto. Love Hyuga-Natsui's interactions in the office alone trying to create the interface together.

Ep5 preview! :wub: Where are they going, on the plane, I wonder?

counsel05

Post by counsel05 » Aug 1st, '12, 07:04

:D :D :D :wub: :wub: :wub:

I have not seen this coming but I am TOTALLY liking Oguri Shun now.
Maybe it has something to do with the character he is portraying that I am seeing him as
an actor and not just ordinary actors.
Let me just say that I love how he transforms from the happy go lucky look to the
corporate "suit up" guy. I prefer to see him wearing suit coz he really looks dashing with it.
My fave scene for ep4:
Elevator scene between Hyuga & Makoto. Hyuga's facial expressions are so kawaiii!!!!! :wub: :w00t:
Shun is in another level now. I have seen him first in Hana Kimi and though I found him there "interesting" and somehow cute he is really not that good looking compared to other japanese actors (no good set of teeth, his ribs are a bit dented among other things) BUT NOW .... I see how he was picked as a lead actor coz he is totally totally blossoming to me. Waaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh :P :w00t:
Did I just say that I like him wearing suits? :lol it really fits him well since he is tall with a lean body. Maybe because i really dig into lanky guys :mrgreen: :lol :P
And the hairstyle is perfect for the suit too.

Can't wait for subs and definitely can't wait for ep5.

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 1st, '12, 15:52

Just finished watching ep4 and I have to say that I did like it. it had more Hyuga x Makoto (so now we know her name, 8) ) time comparing with ep3 and these two just look and act absolutely perfect and cute together.
Aibu Saki's character so far is not annoying me but I'm starting to wonder if everything she said about her and Hyuga is all true. but at the same time, Hyuga is not that type of person who does stuff because somebody else says so. so on this part my mind is at rest and assured that if he falls in love with makoto, whatever Yoko comes up with regarding their previous "romance", it will not have much effects on the outcome.

Asahina is starting to worrying me now with everyone calling him a 2nd person. preview in ep5 are not promising as well. :-(
now I really can't wait for ep5 and it's only Wednesday. :goggle:

@counsel05
Shun Oguri is considered one of the hot guys between J-actors and I totally agree. even waaaay before Hana Kimi. who can ever forget Hanazawa Rui :whistling:

ilovejdramas

Post by ilovejdramas » Aug 1st, '12, 17:41

[quote="Issy"]Just finished watching ep4 and I have to say that I did like it. it had more Hyuga x Makoto (so now we know her name, 8) ) time comparing with ep3 and these two just look and act absolutely perfect and cute together.
Aibu Saki's character so far is not annoying me but I'm starting to wonder if everything she said about her and Hyuga is all true. but at the same time, Hyuga is not that type of person who does stuff because somebody else says so. so on this part my mind is at rest and assured that if he falls in love with makoto, whatever Yoko comes up with regarding their previous "romance", it will not have much effects on the outcome.

Asahina is starting to worrying me now with everyone calling him a 2nd person. preview in ep5 are not promising as well. :-(
I also can't wait until ep 5 but we don't have choice but to wait.
Oh! So that's what Yoko said to Hyuga. I see but I hope she was just lying. :scratch: :goggle:
At first I wasn't really hating her but after she kissed Hyuga I'm now starting to dislike her role. Ugh!

I'm wondering what's gonna happen to Asahina after he fell.

watashiwachiaki

Post by watashiwachiaki » Aug 2nd, '12, 04:39

Issy wrote: @counsel05
Shun Oguri is considered one of the hot guys between J-actors and I totally agree. even waaaay before Hana Kimi. who can ever forget Hanazawa Rui :whistling:
Im used to seeing Shun Oguri every now and then (in dramas ofcourse) it actually feels like we have grown together...like childhood friends. come to think of it, I remember I was shocked when I realized that he played the funny guy student in Gokusen. because he was so different from that Gokusen role and from HanaDan...

anyway, my point in coming here... Is there anyone here, beside me, who liked the english version of Miwa's Hikari e? :wub:

LaLaLaDRAMA

Post by LaLaLaDRAMA » Aug 2nd, '12, 04:55

Romance wrote:I bashed this drama in the beginning of this thread... i take it back!
Gave it one more chance and this drama is pretty sweet! :D Cant wait for next ep!
From what episode did it get exciting.

I downloaded this drama and stopped 15 minutes into it. I see that this drama has people hooked so I just wanted to know.

totally_0bsessed

Post by totally_0bsessed » Aug 3rd, '12, 01:47

ilovejdramas wrote:
Issy wrote:Just finished watching ep4 and I have to say that I did like it. it had more Hyuga x Makoto (so now we know her name, 8) ) time comparing with ep3 and these two just look and act absolutely perfect and cute together.

I also can't wait until ep 5 but we don't have choice but to wait.
Oh! So that's what Yoko said to Hyuga. I see but I hope she was just lying. :scratch: :goggle:
At first I wasn't really hating her but after she kissed Hyuga I'm now starting to dislike her role. Ugh!

I'm wondering what's gonna happen to Asahina after he fell.
A lot of patience is really needed for this drama! XD
I'm pretty sure Yoko is lying and Toru was just pretending he remembers something so she wouldn't feel bad. If he's basing it on Makoto's reactions, who obviously feels sad that he doesn't remember anything. I loved that scene at the elevator. :wub:

Maybe Asahina will have some sort of brain injury or something? :-(

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 3rd, '12, 03:32

Just to clarify what I said before
I am just wondering if Yoko is lying or not. Her face in ep4 looked kind of sincere when she was talking to Hyuga. But I can't see Hyuga that romantic type to start talkin to a girl and then promise to meet in following year. This is just so out of his character.
And yes, Hyuga is totally basing this feeling of hurting others by not remembering them on makoto's feelings and reaction so he's definitely pretending to remember Yoko's story. Truth or lie Yoko knows that Hyuga is pretending to remember and that's why she kissed him.
Ooor, I'm just reading too much into all of these :mrgreen:

hopeful_colour

Post by hopeful_colour » Aug 3rd, '12, 05:35

In my opinion,
I belive Yoko told half truth and half lie. They definitely chated with each other for 2 hours long and Yoko has been finding him but I don't think it's that romantic between them. Because Hyuga's character would not allow him to cling to a vague promise but did something else if he truly care for a girl. She wants to make use of his disease to approach him. :goggle:

About Hyuga, if he remembered his promise and went back to that place, he must remember her but his reactions in previous eps told a different answer => he told lie because he felt sorry (partly influence from Makoto's reaction before) :whistling:

She knew that and she turns around to hide her face. But then, she thoght it's her chance to win him and she kissed him.

About Asahina, I remember i caught a glimpse of him with his leg in plaster somewhere. I don't think his fall so serious but it's obviously in purpose. What he did to their company, I want to know

:goggle: :cussing:

totally_0bsessed

Post by totally_0bsessed » Aug 3rd, '12, 06:13

hopeful_colour wrote:In my opinion,
I belive Yoko told half truth and half lie. They definitely chated with each other for 2 hours long and Yoko has been finding him but I don't think it's that romantic between them. Because Hyuga's character would not allow him to cling to a vague promise but did something else if he truly care for a girl. She wants to make use of his disease to approach him. :goggle:

About Hyuga, if he remembered his promise and went back to that place, he must remember her but his reactions in previous eps told a different answer => he told lie because he felt sorry (partly influence from Makoto's reaction before) :whistling:

She knew that and she turns around to hide her face. But then, she thoght it's her chance to win him and she kissed him.

About Asahina, I remember i caught a glimpse of him with his leg in plaster somewhere. I don't think his fall so serious but it's obviously in purpose. What he did to their company, I want to know

:goggle: :cussing:
Nice interpretation! :lol

hopeful_colour

Post by hopeful_colour » Aug 3rd, '12, 06:48

I made a mistake, somebody pushed Asahina so he fell off the stairs. I want to know who is the man with him and why they mention about betrayal. I don't think Asahina wants to ruin NEXT INNOVATION but Hyuga :nuts:

semi-fly
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by semi-fly » Aug 3rd, '12, 09:50

For those thinking that Asahina may have something to do with his accident, what do you see to be his end goal? From episode 4 it appears that he's becoming somewhat antsy regarding Hyuga's own vision for the company as seen by his action/in-action over partnering with the more establish technology company.

From what I'm reading it seems some might see Asahina being disloyal in some way to the company, to Hyuga, and to himself (i.e., his initial vision for starting Next Innovation with Hyuga) and that "hurting" himself he'll somehow bring Hyuga down to his level/vision. Could this be yet another way to illuminate the differences between the business [myriad of rule sets] and the programming [free thinking/think outside the box] aspect of business in general that is finally coming to a head and that through some shared ideals will bring both parties (Asahina & Hyuga) back together and "strengthen" their commitment to the company, to their overall goal, etc.?

counsel05

Post by counsel05 » Aug 4th, '12, 01:41

Just like to share this:

and this MV:

hope to see more to come.....

cr: pic source

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Aug 4th, '12, 05:33

So, I just finished episode 4. The drama slips more and more into being mediocre, there are simply too many things I don't really like, still I will continue watching it.
The good:
- I like the portrayal of Natsui Makoto, the actress plays her quite cute
- Overall I want to know where all this leads to

The bad:
- The drama has too many filler scenes (*cough*Kdrama*cough*) which don't contribute much. The "program developing" part was dragged for SO LONG and her "research part (btw. 300 people is really not enough, normally one uses 1000 for a dependable study) was just to let her meet Toru again. Why not having him brood about his programm, then he sees her at the petrol station and picks her up? Why the stupid "research" part just to let them meet again? It's pointless.
- The inserst song is extremely annoying and is used too much (*cough*Kdrama*cough*)
- The "on-of-relationship" starts to annoy me. How often will he refire and rehire her in the next episodes? (*cough*Kdrama*cough*)

The really bad:
- The first second I saw his "stylish" interface, I started to laught. NOBODY would think, that this was a good interface for using, never mind if you're a professional or not. It looked so complicated and unnecessarily stylish. I mean, who would have thought that an interface should be EASY to use...boy, was he lucky to have a stupid person next to him... -_-'

The WTF IS THIS?
- I don't know if I'm missing something here or not but:
WTF IS WITH HYUGA? He checks the internet for his mothers name probably daily, he searched her in another prefecture years ago, he even started all this "personal file" project just to find his mother....and now, now that he knows where she lives, HE DOESN'T CARE! Whaaaaaat? Why isn't he going straight to her? If I were to search someone as important as my mother for YEARS and were to get the persons whereabouts, I would immediately go there. I mean, he has a car, why doesn't he use it?
After all these years, he finally gets to know the adress of his mother and he's like "Ah, that's where she lives...okeydokey". That doesn't make sense to me AT ALL
After all, I don't dislike the drama, but I don't understand how everyone loves it so much. There are much better romcoms then this one in my opinion. But maybe, it'll get better, still several episodes to go.

€:: Sorry, I used the quote instead of the spoiler tag at the end.
Last edited by GaussAlgorithmus on Aug 5th, '12, 00:43, edited 2 times in total.

semi-fly
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by semi-fly » Aug 4th, '12, 17:14

@GaussAlgorithmus I don't think it's a cut and dry as Hyuga knowing where his mother is. As much as we've seen that he wants to see her he may also be facing some abandonment issues that have to worked out (by way of Natsui's presence alone).

I agree Natsui should have polled more individuals (1038 for 99% or 1000 for a 95% confidence level) but I doubt the writers care about getting the statistical data correct. It would be nice but really I think it would have just been impractical for her to do it alone let alone within the set deadline for the project.

As for the interface I was a bit taken aback by it as well. Any/all office workers want simple, simple, simple. Hyuga was simply presenting too many things at one time and while it might show what the system/program is capable of it needs to be layered in such a way that a laymen can understand it (which you pointed out). What I hated really was the Microsoft Windows 8 plugging of their metro overlay with the program itself. As far as I know Windows 7 isn't capable of do what Hyuga has planned for the program [the metro-esqueness (if we can call it that)] (though the dumbed down interface looks more and more like a standard Windows login now just with integrated touch capabilities)

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Aug 5th, '12, 00:53

semi-fly wrote:@GaussAlgorithmus I don't think it's a cut and dry as Hyuga knowing where his mother is. As much as we've seen that he wants to see her he may also be facing some abandonment issues that have to worked out (by way of Natsui's presence alone).
Yes, that is acceptable, but I still think his reaction is way to much ""who cares" like. You can't see any excitement, happiness, unsecurity or any real emotion on his face. And later, he didn't say much about this to Natsui. When I saw, that he read the adress I was like "OMG what going to happen now?" aaaaaaand.....nothing happend....absolutely nothing.

semi-fly wrote: I agree Natsui should have polled more individuals (1038 for 99% or 1000 for a 95% confidence level) but I doubt the writers care about getting the statistical data correct. It would be nice but really I think it would have just been impractical for her to do it alone let alone within the set deadline for the project.
And besides asking 1038 people (I had forgotten this number to be honest, statistics lecture took place some time ago ;)) she had to pick 1038 representative people in matters of age, gender, employment, educational background etc. That would've really been too much.
But, as I pointed out earlier, I still think that this hole scene doesn't serve any point except for filling time in the drama. They could have met at the petrol station. If they had written it that way, the would have saved time and it would've had a more "natural" feel to it. The way they did it now was too forced for my taste.
semi-fly wrote:[the metro-esqueness
Nothing to add to the programm part (and the fact that people who work with programs definetly do want them simple) besides the point, that the name "metro" seems to not be used anymore due to fear of a lawsuit by the Metro-group. ;)

semi-fly
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by semi-fly » Aug 5th, '12, 01:41

@GaussAlgorithmus I was just making some random guess as to why he might be hesitating to see his mother. Hyuga isn't exactly the easiest person to read (as opposed to Natsui is) so he might simply be thinking of making sure the project is done before going off on some personal journey of self discovery/hate.

It took me a bit of time, I hate to admit, to work out the numbers needed but I thought I'd at least add them in case anyone cared enough to want an actual number.

I'm not particularly happy with the set up myself but at the same time having the two meet at the petrol station would have been odd to begin with as we know Hyuga doesn't remember faces which we are reminded of (sort of) during the scene as well. With Natsui being arrested and using her phone call to get someone from Next Innovation to bail her out it sets up the reunion and the obvious "moment" Hyuga realizes he needs a lay person to get his project on the right foot (as the people around him will do no less than kiss his backside rather than tell him what he's working on is rubbish/too busy, etc.)

I would have liked if they had actually used her research in the development of the program, and to some extent they did as she was reminding him about the complexity of the system and how easily the elder may forget their passwords and the younger generations have gotten complacent with swiping things (to say access their mobile phones, etc.) so having something like integrated would ease use and acceptance of the new system. Beyond that I'd probably want to see the types of questions she asked (beyond the gender, age, income, etc. types of questions they use on these surveys).

I know Microsoft is going with Windows 8 UI or some nonsense now thanks to a London Bank or something but I'm stuck calling it "Metro" for the time being since that's how they advertised it for so long.

solucu

Post by solucu » Aug 6th, '12, 20:55

Oh my GOOOOOD!
Asahina is such a RAT!

I've watched the raw in Pandora TV, and, even I don't understand a word, is totally clear that
Asahina is a traitor. The question is, why? why he hates Hyuga so much?
And Yoko...
I hate her! I sense that she is trying to seduce Hyuga with bad intentions too
And after ranting a while, I'm going to bed :salut:

counsel05

Post by counsel05 » Aug 7th, '12, 03:30

Another OMG!

I have watched the raw(again) of ep5 and here are my thoughts:
It seems that Makoto helped Hyuga solved his interface problem again.
But Yoko on the other hand got an upper hand since Hyuga gave him tomatoes as gift.
It looks like she is having problems with the restaurant (probably bad reviews).
And let me just say that Asahina is a GOOD ACTOR :x not in a good way BUT in a very bad way. The new guy looks like part of their team before and he connives with Asahina
to do something terrible to New Innovations. Lots of bad things to come for the company.
Preview for episode 6 is just :crazy: :cry:
Hyuga is getting aggressive to Yoko. :cry: :x