What kdrama are you currently watching? (Part 2)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Jul 9th, '12, 05:12

Issy wrote:
Sajen16 wrote:12 men in a year- you know it's funny for much of the show I wanted Mi Roo and Jin Oh to get back together simply because the vast majority of the other guys she was meeting were scum, but now that it is headed towards its conclusion, that's not what I want at all
Thank you for the spoiler. I'm going back to watching it again then. so far this drama being OK! the female lead still annoys me a little though. specially when she's acting drunk! :|
I've gone back an re-read what I wrote three times and I still don't see anything that I would consider a spoiler, but if I spoiled something for you I'm sorry. but yeah Mi Roo is a bit annoying but I think everything else makes up for it

Issy

Post by Issy » Jul 9th, '12, 08:35

Sajen16 wrote:
Issy wrote:
Sajen16 wrote:12 men in a year- you know it's funny for much of the show I wanted Mi Roo and Jin Oh to get back together simply because the vast majority of the other guys she was meeting were scum, but now that it is headed towards its conclusion, that's not what I want at all
Thank you for the spoiler. I'm going back to watching it again then. so far this drama being OK! the female lead still annoys me a little though. specially when she's acting drunk! :|
I've gone back an re-read what I wrote three times and I still don't see anything that I would consider a spoiler, but if I spoiled something for you I'm sorry. but yeah Mi Roo is a bit annoying but I think everything else makes up for it

:lol well it was a spoiler for me that I welcomed very much. Because I was kind of thinking that I got the plot figured and it made it boring to watch for me. But after you wrote that you don't want them to end together, I was assured some changes are happening. :mrgreen:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 9th, '12, 20:43

Added 21st Century Family to the list. The show is unique and hilarious!! :rofl: :rofl:

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Jul 10th, '12, 00:28

Issy wrote:
Sajen16 wrote:
Issy wrote: Thank you for the spoiler. I'm going back to watching it again then. so far this drama being OK! the female lead still annoys me a little though. specially when she's acting drunk! :|

:lol well it was a spoiler for me that I welcomed very much. Because I was kind of thinking that I got the plot figured and it made it boring to watch for me. But after you wrote that you don't want them to end together, I was assured some changes are happening. :mrgreen:
oh ok so you're just reading into what I wrote I was afraid I'd spoiled something major somehow, but yea 3 episodes left for me and on one hand I want to just finish it off on the other Mi Roo is so annoying I can only take so much of her in one day i wish Tam Ya was the main character instead

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jul 10th, '12, 00:57

I have to say, that i love the drama-year 2012. I'm a big fan of fantasy rom(coms) and till now, i had to search them and in the end i could only find like 5-8 watchable dramas over the last 10 years. But now there is a swarm of them over the last 12 months and more are to come.
I'm watching now "I love Lee Tae Ree"(too lazy to look up if this is correct). This is basically TvNs version of Big.

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Jul 12th, '12, 01:14

A Gentleman's Dignity- ok I knew that Do Jin and Yi Soo couldn't be happy together yet but if what happens in episodes 13 and 14 is the problem that keeps them apart I might have to stop watching
I just don't get why Collin being Do Jin's son is a problem at all, maybe it's a cultural thing, or a gender thing, or maybe it's just me as I would gladly be with a woman who already had a child, as the last thing on earth I want is my own children but I'd happily take care of someone elses, besides that it happened so long ago and it's not like there was any abandonment he didn't know until now
just finished

12 Men in a Year- despite my fear towards the end it turned into the most satisfying drama ending I've seen in a long time
sure Mi Roo and Jin Oh still have some feelings for each other but moving on with other people instead of getting back together is the healthy and right thing to do and I'm so glad that's what happened, thank you very much writers, and I got what I wanted Jin Oh with Hae Ra, Mi Roo with writer Lee, and Tam Ya choosing Kwan Woo who she actually liked if not loved yet over Director Goo.
still watching

City Hall
Return of Illjimae
I Need Romance 2012

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jul 12th, '12, 23:07

Put "I Love LTR" on hold, till the whole drama is aired.
Started to sample "My Shining Girl" and after the first 2 episodes i ponder, if i should watch it...i mean the female lead character is sooo unlikable....It's like a female version of Dok Go Jin (The Greatest Love) on steroids. While DGJ's cockieness was funny and somewhat likable, so this character forces me to vomit. Also this is one of the dramas, where the character is slightly over 30(31) and they say every 2 minutes "OMG you are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO old". I mean ok 31 is not a teenager anymore, but cmon it's also not a granny. I still think that it's awkward, that the "morally oversensitive Korean TV picture it as normal, that a woman with 30 is over the hill, while a 35 y old man is in his prime (yea i know it's not just korea)...but i digress...again..

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 14th, '12, 00:10

8) Silverman... 31 is still childhood. It gets under my skin also when they talk about 'Old' I would not mind being twice that age again.
We had just put the corporate battleground behind us and life at last was now ours to live. Life can bloom at any age especially if you decided to enjoy whatever happens.And we did. :-)

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jul 14th, '12, 00:51

Till i watched kdramas(not movies, which i watched way before the dramas), i didn't even know that 30 is "old". The first time i saw such a drama, i was like "what? old? middleage? then what? i will be in 6(now 3^^) years middleaged? i always thought middleage beginns somewhere between 40 and 50 (so basically the korean 25^^). Although one reason for my thinking could be, that i'm a "long-term" student (i mean school, university(bachelor+master) and now phd), so that i will begin to "work" at an age of 29-30 (i mean not these studentjobs, but "real work), while a lot of people, who don't go to the university begin their worklife at 19-20, so that i'm basically 10 years behind.

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Jul 14th, '12, 22:14

Added to my watchin list "Beloved".

Shindou

Post by Shindou » Jul 18th, '12, 07:15

Couldn't take much more of Return of Iljimae...

Started Fantasy Couple - looks promising!

sunflower63

Post by sunflower63 » Jul 22nd, '12, 06:58

I am watching my first ever Korean drama which is Coffee Prince, I am at Episode 13 and so far so good. I am enjoying it...

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jul 22nd, '12, 09:20

@sunflower63 Nice pick to start with :-)

I'm finally back with some time for kdrama =) Totally into Gaksital, only half way through catching up but I'm in love with the writers.

Started A Gentleman's Dignity and that's also promising after first ep test.

Couldn't resist and went for The Chaser. Oh how I wish it'd get subbed!

Still wanna finish Mushin and Immortal Classic.

creidesca
Fansubber
Fansubber
United States of America

Post by creidesca » Jul 22nd, '12, 13:54

arakira wrote:@sunflower63 Nice pick to start with :-)
Still wanna finish Mushin and Immortal Classic.
May I attempt to dissuade you from finishing Immortal Classic? I was overall disappointed.

sunflower63

Post by sunflower63 » Jul 23rd, '12, 06:34

thanks for your encouragements, as I have almost finished Coffee Prince I wondered where I could go on from here? I have to say that I much prefer Jdramas (I have watched 60 so far) and will carry on mostly watching those, but if I wanted to watch a second Kdrama where would you suggest me to go on from here with the same genre? Things that I didn't like in this drama were the scenes of too much food in their mouths, toilets etc. but I really enjoyed the acting and the plot.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jul 23rd, '12, 08:53

sunflower63 wrote:thanks for your encouragements, as I have almost finished Coffee Prince I wondered where I could go on from here? I have to say that I much prefer Jdramas (I have watched 60 so far) and will carry on mostly watching those, but if I wanted to watch a second Kdrama where would you suggest me to go on from here with the same genre? Things that I didn't like in this drama were the scenes of too much food in their mouths, toilets etc. but I really enjoyed the acting and the plot.
If you write your what genres you like here in this thread or even just read some of posts in in this thread you will find some dramas that you like for sure.

RECOMMEND/FAVOURITE KOREAN DRAMAS
8) [/url]

sunflower63

Post by sunflower63 » Jul 23rd, '12, 10:13

thanks Issy,
I will check the link that you posted, infact I am looking mainly for romantic comedies as I have already finished watching almost all the Japanese ones available. Thanks for your help.

Viande

Post by Viande » Jul 25th, '12, 19:44

Finished I Do I Do and Big. I Do I Do was very good from the first to last episode and will defienly be one of my favourites from this year. Big on the other hand was poor basic kdrama with boring start, ok middle part and bad ending, not to mention annoying female lead and story cliches. I'm sorry but not even Gong Yoo could save it for me. Although, I have to admit I probably wasn't part of the target audience, except for the nuna part.

As for next, I'm trying to catch with I Need Romance 2012 episodes and thought about starting A Gentleman's Dignity while waiting for Joo Ji Hoon's new drama. ^^

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 25th, '12, 20:32

Viande wrote: while waiting for Joo Ji Hoon's new drama. ^^
That's all that is relevant, sorry ':wub:

Anyone saw answer to 1997? Is it worth giving a try?
My current list:
1. Gaksital
2. Gentleman's Dignity
3. Mushin/God of War
4. Seoul 1945
5. 21st Century Family
Waiting for - of course - Five Fingers and Faith as well.

Plus, I'm looking for a place where I can watch/download Chosun Police season 1. Anyone?

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Jul 28th, '12, 04:57

The Moon That Embraces the Sun- just finished episode 2 and I agree with Yeon Woo's father I have a bad feeling about this

Capital Scandal- I'm just curious if it has an ending similar to Hong Gil Dong I mean Korea didn't gain independence until after WWII right? though I suppose romance could take over but please tell me that's not what happens.
Last edited by Sajen16 on Jul 30th, '12, 05:52, edited 1 time in total.

Shindou

Post by Shindou » Jul 28th, '12, 06:11

Just finished one of the funnest dramas ever - Couple of Fantasy - I'd highly recommend this romantic comedy

Probably going to start A Gentleman's Dignity or Chuno

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 28th, '12, 08:19

Sajen16 wrote: Capital Scandal- I'm just curious if it has an ending similar to Hong Gil Dong I mean Korea didn't gain independence until after WWII right? though I suppose romance could take over but please tell me that's not what happens.
It's kinda sad ending, but no, they didn't free Korea.

areyou_sure

Post by areyou_sure » Jul 31st, '12, 16:45

i'm watching rooftop prince now. it's getting better as i watch on

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Aug 4th, '12, 04:13

still watching

Capital Scandal- so awesome, am I the only one that thinks Han Ji Min looks tiny in this show?

Dummy Mommy- ugh really 3 episodes in and except Sun Young and Dat Byul no one's likable and the least likable is our main character Young Joo, god I hate her, though I suppose that gives her the most room to grow, or get her head bashed in either way I'm happy

re-watching

Alone In Love- I don't think I can express in words how much I love this show, and I think the only show still where all the conflict comes entirely from inside
Last edited by Sajen16 on Aug 4th, '12, 05:44, edited 1 time in total.

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 4th, '12, 04:47

Sajen16 wrote:still watching

Capital Scandal- so awesome, am I the only one that thinks Han Ji Min looks tiny in this show?

Dummy Mommy- ugh really 3 episodes in and except Sun Young and Dat Byul no one's likable and the least likable is our main character Young Joo, god I hate her, though I suppose that gives her the most room to grow, or get her head bashed in either way I'm happy
Dat Byul? Really??? Well I guess it's early days for you but she definitely takes after her mom. I had the same feelings about YJ character from beginning till where I dropped it. No matter how later on they explained her reasons behind her actions and behaviour, I could never sympathize with her. She was a total b***h. A person who held grudges against wrong people, very cruel and insensitive with major anger issues.
But kudos to the actress for portraying this character so well (although I'm sure they didn't want her to be hated ). Everytime she had one of those angry fits, you were scared she will have a heart attack or faint for real.
The only delight for me in this drama was watching GM and his butler. Well, up to where it was dropped.

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Aug 4th, '12, 05:39

Issy wrote:
Sajen16 wrote:still watching

Dat Byul? Really??? Well I guess it's early days for you but she definitely takes after her mom. I had the same feelings about YJ character from beginning till where I dropped it. No matter how later on they explained her reasons behind her actions and behaviour, I could never sympathize with her. She was a total b***h. A person who held grudges against wrong people, very cruel and insensitive with major anger issues.
But kudos to the actress for portraying this character so well (although I'm sure they didn't want her to be hated ). Everytime she had one of those angry fits, you were scared she will have a heart attack or faint for real.
The only delight for me in this drama was watching GM and his butler. Well, up to where it was dropped.
with Dat Byul I guess it's more that I understand her than I actually like her she may be a genius but she's still a child who is not old enough to really form her own opinions yet, but yeah I can already see shades of both parents in her, as for Young Joo's husband he's a scumbag but all evidence points to him being a scumbag from the beginning and so I lose all sympathy for her from that angle and further takes away my ability to understand her.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 4th, '12, 07:54

Added Answer to 1997 to the list and it's awesome (drama, not the list)!!!

kenshihimura

Post by kenshihimura » Aug 4th, '12, 09:55

Finished watching Big and I Do I Do last month..currently no kdrama on my list =/ Any recommendation?I like comedy and romance mostly but if it's nice I will watch it too like Chuno :)

JumpingDax

Post by JumpingDax » Aug 4th, '12, 11:19

Hey guys ive been out of the drama scene for a couple of years what good kdramas have i missed?

Keikan

Post by Keikan » Aug 4th, '12, 14:01

Currently on episode 14 of "Romance Town". I love the fact that it purposely goes against all the usual K-drama clichés. lt's so refreshing to see a couple where the girl is filthy rich (and smart!) and the guy poor (and a little dumb!). I also love the fact that it didn't take 10+ episodes and 100+ misunderstandings for the couple to get together. The story is moving along fluidly, and at a decent pace, and even though it does involve some drama, it never goes melodramatic. Instead, the show somehow manages to retain its sense of humor all along (which was my main complaint about "Rooftop Prince). I think a big part of this has to do with the actors. I really liked Sung Yu Ri in "Hong Gil Dong" because of the energy and punch she gave to a character who would have been quite flat otherwise; and she does the same thing again here as No Seun Gum. It took me a while to get over the image of Jung Gyu Woon as the rapist in "Bittersweet Life", but in the end I really like him in this role as well. Some of his facial expressions are priceless! :lol:

I'm also on episode 23 of "Bittersweet Life". I can't bring myself to watch the end because of what I know will happen. I need to gather up some courage and watch it! :P

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Aug 4th, '12, 19:21

Keikan wrote:Currently on episode 14 of "Romance Town". I love the fact that it purposely goes against all the usual K-drama clichés. lt's so refreshing to see a couple where the girl is filthy rich (and smart!) and the guy poor (and a little dumb!).
I also liked this show, but i had quite the opposite impression of the female leads character. It crawled under my skin, that she portraits a woman with absolute no self respect.

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Aug 5th, '12, 21:39

still watching

Capital Scandal- best show I've watched in awhile by far, does anyone else have a kind of love-hate thing for Sachiko her delusional rants make her hilarious but also dangerous

Flower Boy Ramen Shop- ok not as good as Shut Up! Flower Boy Band but still interesting

Keikan

Post by Keikan » Aug 6th, '12, 12:37

Silverman wrote:
Keikan wrote:Currently on episode 14 of "Romance Town". I love the fact that it purposely goes against all the usual K-drama clichés. lt's so refreshing to see a couple where the girl is filthy rich (and smart!) and the guy poor (and a little dumb!).
I also liked this show, but i had quite the opposite impression of the female leads character. It crawled under my skin, that she portraits a woman with absolute no self respect.
I don't know... I actually really enjoyed this aspect of her character. I thought it was a nice change from the usual Mary Sue characters we see in a lot of dramas these days. I'm not saying I loved the character 100% of the time (she actually annoyed me at some points), but the fact that she gave a hard time to the main guy was such a refreshing change! I also like the fact that
towards the end she grew to respect herself a lot more and didn't allow herself to be bullied by other people anymore, especially her boyfriend, her boyfriend's father, and her father (seriously, which K-drama heroine has ever said to their in-laws "I don't care if I have your approval, I'm going to date your son anyway! xD"?).
I just really liked her character evolution in that sense. Now that I've finished the drama, I can say that, contrary to "Bittersweet Life", "Romance Town" is a drama to watch when you need to relax and not think too hard. I also loved the character Kang Gun Woo, fat or slim! Haha! :lol

I think I'm going to start 49 days now. I'm in the mood for something sad and romantic. :P

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 6th, '12, 12:45

Keikan wrote:
(seriously, which K-drama heroine has ever said to their in-laws "I don't care if I have your approval, I'm going to date your son anyway! xD"?).
"Dalja's Spring", "Woman Who Wants to Get Married". Acidentally, older woman-younger guy pairing. Maybe this is why they had more guts.
I do believe it was also in few others, right now me no think, have to go back to watching Olympics.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Aug 6th, '12, 18:07

Keikan wrote: I don't know... I actually really enjoyed this aspect of her character. I thought it was a nice change from the usual Mary Sue characters we see in a lot of dramas these days. I'm not saying I loved the character 100% of the time (she actually annoyed me at some points), but the fact that she gave a hard time to the main guy was such a refreshing change! I also like the fact that
towards the end she grew to respect herself a lot more and didn't allow herself to be bullied by other people anymore, especially her boyfriend, her boyfriend's father, and her father (seriously, which K-drama heroine has ever said to their in-laws "I don't care if I have your approval, I'm going to date your son anyway! xD"?).
Well, perhaps i couldn't get over certain points, like f.e.:
-while he dated her idol-transformation(i think the actress looked like this in her idol-days) he told her "normal" self in the face, that she is pathetic, stupid a.s.o.. But after he finds out her true identity, he is in rage and she begs him for forgiveness, although he committed the "bigger sin".

Keikan

Post by Keikan » Aug 8th, '12, 13:31

Just finished "I'm sorry, I love you". The ending is so sad! I can't stop crying lol! >.< I think it's one of the saddest, yet somehow most beautiful ending I've seen along with the J-drama "A Million stars (...)".

I watched the first episode of "49 days" but the main girl looks and acts like a doll which I find really annoying. I don't know if I'll keep watching because of that.

I really want to watch "Love Rain", "Wild Romance", "Goong" and "My Girlfriend is a Gumiho", but I'm more in the mood for sad dramas at the moment. I might give "Iljimae" a go. I heard people compare it to "Hong Gil Dong" (a drama I didn't like) saying it was more interesting but also sadder. I also heard good things about "Stairway to Heaven" and "A Love to Kill". We'll see. :)

Viande

Post by Viande » Aug 8th, '12, 15:29

@ Keikan, you should defiently finish 49 Days if you like melodramas. First episodes are boring and the doll girl was annoying but the story and ending are well worth it. I also recommend A Love to Kill but I'm just going to warning you, it's all tears, the whole series. As for the other dramas you mentioned Goong and My Girlfriend is a Gumiho both start as romcom but turn sadder closer to the end.

Thanks to Ethlenn's blog, I'm also adding Nice Guy to my watch list. (You're just trying to drown us in dramas, aren't you??) How could I miss a drama with Song Joong Ki and Park Si Yeon!

So waiting for these:
Nice Guy
Five Fingers
Vampire Prosecutor 2

and currently watching:
I Need Romance 2012 -Only a few episode to go.
Color of Woman -I don't like the female actress but we'll see how far I'll get.
Watched first episode of A Gentleman's Dignity but it wasn't for me so I'm probably going to drop it.
Also, was going to check out Reply 1997 because of Hoya. ^^

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 8th, '12, 16:11

Keikan wrote: I might give "Iljimae" a go.
Noooooooooo!! Of course if you trust other people's opinions. But I'm kown as the biggest hater of this drama despite the fact I like Park Shihu a lot.

As Viande said, watch 49 Days till the end, really. The ending makes the whole drama worthwhile.
And if you want to cry, 90 Days Time To Love (pack of tisues), Revenge of Gumiho (sageuk, but it will tear you into pieces), A Love to Kill, Scent of Woman.

And back to topic - I really love Answer to 1997, you should try, Viande, Hoya is not that bad actually.
I might try Arang when it comes out, although I have no high expectations, I dislike Junki and if Shin Mina is going to again act cutesy-wutsy, I'll drop it.
Waiting for the same list as Viande (yep, I'm that bad^^).

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Aug 9th, '12, 03:47

Flower Boy Ramen Shop- I believe the "white swan" girl has just entered my books as the most annoying character ever

Shindou

Post by Shindou » Aug 9th, '12, 04:52

Chuno ep 18

Keikan

Post by Keikan » Aug 9th, '12, 15:36

@Viande and @Ethlenn: Thanks for the recommendations! I've watched a lot of romantic comedies lately and I'm a bit tired of them, which is why I'm more in the mood for sad dramas right now. I watched the second episode of "49 days" and I have to say it was a lot better than the first episode. I like the fact that the "doll character" takes control of the other girl's body, I find the other girl (and actress) a lot more interesting. If anything, I'll keep watching for the good-looking "scheduler" for the moment lol! x)

@Ethlenn: I saw a bit of "Revenge of Gumiho" recently on tv, but it seemed a bit weird for my tastes. I should start watching History dramas. I've only seen "Hong Gil Dong" and I didn't like it. :P

Just managed to finish "Autumn in My Heart" (I started it around December :P). The ending was really sad, but I don't know... for me it wasn't as sad or beautiful as "I'm Sorry I Love You". I guess it's because I had a hard time believing in their "endless love" as I kept seeing the nature of this love as a misunderstood bond between siblings.
The kind that gets created when siblings get separated when they're young, and reunited years later, only to feel like they never want to be separated again. I never saw a trace of sexual desire between the two characters for example (not that it's necessary, but you catch my drift). To me their "love" was about never wanting to be separated again and catching up on the lost time they couldn't be brother&sister, but not about being together and starting a family. Even their behavior towards each other was very sibling-like, until the very end. Eun-Suh kept calling Joon-Soo "oppa" and crying on her "big brother"'s shoulder whenever she had a problem, and Joon-Soo really treated her like a little sister he needed to protect (but ultimately couldn't). For me the only "true romantic love" I saw in this drama was the one Tae-Suk expressed for Eun-Suh. It was totally selfless and straightforward.
Maybe I should continue with the "Endless Love Series" and watch "Winter Sonata". I hear it started the whole Hallyu wave. I guess it must be good then! :P

gilnis
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gilnis » Aug 9th, '12, 16:03

Ethlenn wrote:I dislike Junki
Why? Really can't understand. :scratch: But about Iljimae I totally agree, that's a big NO.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Aug 9th, '12, 19:26

I loved 'I Need Romance 2" so much that I had to d/l and watch the ending without subs. I love that actor so much he is almost a perfect man here. His eyes and smile make him irresistible.
enough sloppiness.... but he is gorgeous.
One question I will retain is why on earth did either man bother with that ditsy badtempered woman. she wasn't even pretty or sexy. Mystery. If you aren't the greatest beauty then you have to have the best possible personality and good nature. she had neither. My opinion from start to finish.

The men were the romance in this drama. For me anyway. :-)

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 9th, '12, 19:49

Peggy wrote:One question I will retain is why on earth did either man bother with that ditsy badtempered woman. she wasn't even pretty or sexy. Mystery. If you aren't the greatest beauty then you have to have the best possible personality and good nature. she had neither. My opinion from start to finish.

That's the question that comes to my mind everytime I see a drama with similar female character and guys can't wait to put their lives just to win her. :scratch:
I believe it will remain a mystery for all of us ladies (and gents) to wonder about. :unsure:

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Aug 10th, '12, 17:45

Currently watching :
"Reply 1997" and waiting desperatly for the subs !
"Golden Time": I loooooove the cast , Lee Sun Gyun is more than great.
"Haeundae Lovers", the male lead is great , the others try to be good, sometimes they try too much !

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Aug 11th, '12, 04:08

Capital Scandal- so much love for this show

Flower Boy Ramen Shop- halfway through episode 5 still wondering when the title starts to make sense, also on further examination I think "swan girl" actually thinks the way she acts makes sense making her bats**t crazy, not annoying

Haundae Lovers- not my favorite but at the very least a nice placeholder until Faith and Arang and the Magistrate

Answer Me 1997- despite being male and from the other side of the world and six years younger than the characters as I was 12 not 18 in 1997, though I'm guessing they are 18 in Korean years meaning 17 in the rest of the world so I'm only 5 years younger, I still feel the nostalgia and love for this show

Viande

Post by Viande » Aug 12th, '12, 18:13

Issy wrote:
Peggy wrote:One question I will retain is why on earth did either man bother with that ditsy badtempered woman. she wasn't even pretty or sexy. Mystery. If you aren't the greatest beauty then you have to have the best possible personality and good nature. she had neither. My opinion from start to finish.

That's the question that comes to my mind everytime I see a drama with similar female character and guys can't wait to put their lives just to win her. :scratch:
I believe it will remain a mystery for all of us ladies (and gents) to wonder about. :unsure:
Same here. And I'm with Peggy about Yeol Mae. I think it's just fiction to make women feel better about them selves. I'm currently watching Color of a Woman and I rarely say someone is ugly but damn this female lead is. It's not just her physical appearance but also her expressions and how she acts. And still, two men are after her... I'm only watching it because of Shim Ji Ho and the Vampire Prosecutor cutie. Yeah, I'm that shallow. (Well, ok the sotory is fine too.)

Finished I Need Romance 2012. It wasn't nearly as good as the first season (excluding the horrible ending). Although, I liked all of the male characters this time and the ending wasn't that bad (not amazing either).

jubies33

Post by jubies33 » Aug 13th, '12, 02:19

watching ghost (ep 19) and it has been a really exciting ride. I wasn't expecting much but I have been pleasantly surprised. The plot is interesting and I love the Mad Dog.

Still watching Gaksital, I love Lee Tae Ri, and a gentleman's dignity( so glad the angst seems to be over).

Just finished I need romance 2012. It kept me semi- entertained this one is forgettable for me. I loved second lead. I didn't notice him that much in Chuno but wow is he a cutie. Ending didn't bother me as much as the first season but I wasn't nearly as envested in this one.

Added Haeudae lovers. I find it a bit entertaining though the lead male is a major douche. I will see how it goes. Also added reply 1997 which I am completely addicted to. I need more subs now! :crazy:

impatiently waiting for:
Faith
Five Fingers
Vampire Prosecutor 2

I don't think I will watch Arang. I also dislike Junki and although I liked Shin Min Ah in the Devil I don't like her acting cutesy either. I have more important things to do :alcoholic: :lol

Keikan

Post by Keikan » Aug 13th, '12, 11:41

Just finished "49 days". I have to say the story was very interesting overall and the ending was surprisingly satisfying. I heard a lot of people say they cried a lot upon seeing the ending, but personally (and I don't really know why) I felt more detached than anything. Maybe the reason is that I couldn't relate to any of the main characters, and I actually despised a few of them by the end. Take the character of Ji-Hyung for example. She really annoyed me from the first episode. She looked like a doll (probably due to too much plastic surgery, no offense to her fans but couldn't they take another actress? :/), was as naive and innocent as one, and cried almost every single episode (why couldn't they create a main female character with a spine for once? >.<). Granted, I did warm up a little bit to her towards the end through the kindness she showed to the people around her but argh... she's a prime example of the kind of main female characters I really dislike. Yi-Kyung's story was a bit more interesting... but the actress was terrible in crying scenes (she made very strange hamster sounds xD). In the end I think the character (and actor) that I liked the most was the Scheduler. His story was interesting and his character evolution really fascinating. I might have to check the actor's other dramas. To sum up, if you put the characters aside and focus solely on the story, I think 49 days is a very enjoyable drama. :)

I'm in the mood for a funnier drama now. I'm a bit sick of romance dramas though. I think I'll take a break from them for a while and find an interesting comedy drama. I still haven't watched "Goong" and "My Girlfriend is a Gumiho". I think I'll try one of these next.

jubies33

Post by jubies33 » Aug 15th, '12, 18:00

on ep 7 of God's quiz(first season). Awesome drama and now I have a bit of a crush on this cutie

Shindou

Post by Shindou » Aug 20th, '12, 02:56

Finished Chuno - wasnt very impressed

gonna start Get Karl! Oh Soo Jung

sunflower63

Post by sunflower63 » Aug 20th, '12, 05:42

Hi all, I just finished watching for the second time Biscuit Teacher and Star Candy and I just started watching Big. I have to say that I am noticing some great similarities in the plots (high school student falling for his teacher) but we will see how it develops. It is also strange to see Gong Yoo seven years older.

Keikan

Post by Keikan » Aug 23rd, '12, 11:11

I just watched the first episode of "Thank You". I have to say it's interesting, because it starts where most K-dramas end: on one hand you have a poor woman who had a love-story with a chaebol, and who got dumped when she got pregnant, and on the other you have a man who lived an epic love-story with a woman, until she suddenly dies of cancer. An alternative title for this drama could have been "what happens after a typical K-drama's ending". I find this concept quite interesting. The first episode seems to set the tone for the drama though: sad, but heartwarming at the same time. I look forward to episode 2 and I'm hoping it will be more interesting than "A Love to Kill". I'm setting the bar pretty high now after watching "City Hall". :whistling:

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 23rd, '12, 16:03

right now watching and totally hooked on

Faith
Arang and the Magistrate
Mushin
Five Fingers
and two Jdramas (Rich Man Poor Woman, Iki mo dekinai natsu)

put Gaksital on hold after "love revelations". not sure when I will pick though.

klouvios

Post by klouvios » Aug 25th, '12, 18:29

Cinderella Man Episode 10
:-(
Disappointing how the story turn out :x
Last edited by klouvios on Aug 26th, '12, 08:29, edited 2 times in total.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Aug 25th, '12, 19:19

Have not yet been able to watch 'Five fingers' Waiting for it. However, I have been reading about the dreadful things the 'netizens' have been doing to the member of T'Ara' who was supposed to start with her first lead role in a drama.
They have absolutely beaten her and her agency down so that it seems they have pulled her from the drama. is this the case? If so then I think it is about time the S.Korean entertainment Industry Practices people do something to stop this kind of action.
These so called netizens are guilty of the most outrageous bullying of people who have done nothing to deserve it. something strange is happening in the Korean show business world. Can't imagine who or what is in control, but you would think the agencies and production companies would not be so afraid of ignorant people who know nothing about making a film or drama.
They are now bent on ruining the career of a young woman who has worked for ten years and studied music and dance and acting in order to become someone who has made her place in the world she has chosen. If anything happens to her I think they must find out who started the witch hunt and charge them in some way.
I am not a fan of this actress/singer but I hate to see a hard worker being ruined by hateful people.
She has even been stopped from her role in the 'We Got Married' segment which was to interesting to watch.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Aug 26th, '12, 06:56

Very, very slowly I am watching Goodbye Wife. In my opinion, the drama had a lot of potential. The plot is very good, actors are(mostly) quite good as well but I think that directing screwed up. Drama feels quite fake and awkward in many moments. And the 'comic' scenes are usually out of the place. It feels like they just put something funny in a random place. But even after this, I still want to watch that drama because I still believe it will match it's potential. At least at some point. Sadly, some of you may skip this drama because there are no subtitles available. I think there weren't any.

sunflower63

Post by sunflower63 » Aug 26th, '12, 07:12

I have just finished Big, which I enjoyed notwithstanding the negative reviews, and I now just started City Hall. I did not enjoy the first episodes so far but I am sure the best parts are still to come.

klouvios

Post by klouvios » Aug 26th, '12, 13:48

Watching Dae Mul and enjoying it very much.
I have seen two episodes and I can't stop, I want to watch one after the other.

Keikan

Post by Keikan » Aug 26th, '12, 14:35

sunflower63: It does get better later. Be patient. :)

Just finished episode 14 of "Thank You". This drama is so soothing. The music, the beautiful landscapes, and even the story itself... everything is so relaxing. There's like a constant atmosphere of innocence in this drama: a bit like observing the world through a child's eyes. But this is particularly what I find so interesting; because you're almost manipulated into forgetting that there's a terrible story going on behind all of this, about a child having to live with AIDS. There's so much naivety and humor that you don't really perceive the actual sadness of the story itself. It just feels like the writer puts us viewers on painkillers, makes us sit in front of a flowing river, and than murmurs in our ears a terrible tragedy. I just find this technique of story-telling absolutely fascinating because she manages to create a very depressing story, and all the while avoiding all melodrama or feelings of sadness. I have to say this drama is really unique indeed and I'm looking forward to see how it ends.

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Aug 26th, '12, 14:49

Keikan wrote:
Just finished episode 14 of "Thank You". This drama is so soothing. The music, the beautiful landscapes, and even the story itself... everything is so relaxing. There's like a constant atmosphere of innocence in this drama: a bit like observing the world through a child's eyes. But this is particularly what I find so interesting; because you're almost manipulated into forgetting that there's a terrible story going on behind all of this, about a child having to live with AIDS. There's so much naivety and humor that you don't really perceive the actual sadness of the story itself. It just feels like the writer puts us viewers on painkillers, makes us sit in front of a flowing river, and than murmurs in our ears a terrible tragedy. I just find this technique of story-telling absolutely fascinating because she manages to create a very depressing story, and all the while avoiding all melodrama or feelings of sadness. I have to say this drama is really unique indeed and I'm looking forward to see how it ends.
My thoughts too and still think this is one of the saddest dramas I've ever watched and even when it ends, you keep asking yourself if that was a happy ending, it wasn't for e, it's the start of the pain and the struggling...One of the best dramas!

Added to my list "Arang and the magistrate" that I really like, it's like reading a book or something, it's not a flawless drama but it has it's unique vibe which I really enjoy, hope it gets better and better.

klouvios

Post by klouvios » Aug 28th, '12, 15:05

Just finished watching Dae Mul.
I enjoyed it very much.
I Highly Recommended it :D
Great script, great direction and great performances.
In this drama there aren't only two lead actors and the rest are there just to fill the screen.
The script writer has created great characters and every actor has given their best to bring that character to reality.
And Kwon Sang Woo is to die for :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

dontpanik

Post by dontpanik » Aug 30th, '12, 19:03

Faith

I'm re-watching Wild Romance and A Gentleman's Dignity as well. Faith is the first Drama I'm watching as they air and this is hard, lol! I'm used to just waiting and having a drama watching marathon.

klouvios

Post by klouvios » Aug 30th, '12, 20:24

I am watching Take Care of the Young Lady with Yoon Sang Hyun :wub: :wub: :wub:

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Sep 1st, '12, 03:49

Queen Seon Deok - right now I'm in the high 50s in the eps.. I've almost finished my first taeha!
This titular character is what makes this an "A" drama, even when the rest of the cast and crew gradually called it day as the series wore on. For example, it really was a pity that the director, the stunt co-ordinator, and roughly 80% of the extras couldn't make it to work on the day they shot a climatic battle scene. It could've been awesome.
I found Deokman and to a slightly lesser extent, Queen Seon Deok's character so excellent that I'm glad I took the time to watch this.
Last edited by rootabega on Sep 1st, '12, 04:02, edited 1 time in total.

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Sep 1st, '12, 03:59

P.S. I agree with Ethlenn- Kim Nam Gil as Bidam was freeeeeeeking annoying.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 1st, '12, 05:34

Ye, everyone knows I'm not Bidam fan, kkk.

Since I'm back to dramaworld, currently on the list: Answer 1997, 5 Fingers, Mushin, Faith, Haeundae Lovers, Gaksital, Arang.

Wondering should I start on The Thousandth Man and To The Beautiful You.

What is going on this season? They are bound to kill us, the viewers? A day has limited hours, you know...

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 1st, '12, 06:36

I believe they are! With two fantasy fusion sageuks that are made to my taste exactly, this season is spoiling me to the max. Hope I'm not jinxing both by saying it loud in here.

Viande

Post by Viande » Sep 4th, '12, 21:17

Finished Color of Woman. Shim Ji Ho was such a cutie, didn't care of the rest.

Now fangirling Reply 1997 and Five Fingers.

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Sep 8th, '12, 05:01

mostly
Answer Me 1997- the way they tease us and reveal things in this is absolutely brilliant but at the same time absolutely frustrating I want to know which one's her husband already but I suspect I've got two weeks wait to find out. As long as it's Yoon Jae or the three of them joined a cult and it's both then it's worth the wait.

also kinda sorta

Faith and Arang

still really really slowly

Capital Scandal and Flower Boy Ramen Shop

it's like I'm kind of on a break but I'm in the middle of Capital Scandal and Flower Boy Ramen Shop both of which I fully intend to finish one day, just not sure when and Faith and Arang sounded interesting and I like both of them enough to keep kinda sorta watching them and then there's Answer me 1997 took a chance after reading the recaps on Dramabeans and now I'm head over heels in love

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 8th, '12, 17:29

Just about to finish Gaksital. Maybe two more episodes. Harrowing and heartstopping. Terrific the anger and rage and mixed upfeelings between Kangto and Shunji. Must have been extremely hard to play either role but I am sure Shunj was one to suffer over.

Watching 'Soldier'. good and interesting but not thrilled with actor playing lead really. He is a little dull.

Still seeing some of Lights and shadows. tough time in S.Korea again. Almost a carryover from the Gaksital years. WWII in between.

'I do I do' is very light fare but it's nice to see Jang Woo getting some acting under his belt. He is very personable. Nice smile and obviously has sense of humour.
Seem to be catching a lot of dramas in snatches these days. Still not really thrilled with the japanese taiga Kyomori. It also a little dull. I feel that the real times must have been much more violent and lively and this is not coming through yet.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 8th, '12, 20:09

Not able to watch 'Five Fingers' yet. It will no doubt come on to TV here fairly soon.

I don't d/l much anymore because setting up the titles is not as easy for some reason now that my PC has the niccups. It's hard subs where available and sometimes no subs and concentration on the action and dialogue otherwise.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 8th, '12, 20:50

They killed off Lee Hae Seok in Gaksital
My reason to finish it suddenly vanished, but I will, 3 more eps to left, a whole ball of yarn to keep me through Mokdamn-Kangto scenes...
Enjoying Five Fingers, crying over Answer1997 coming to an end... Faith and Arang on hold :whistling:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 8th, '12, 23:25

Well we could have been sure that would happen. Sorry for Gangto but he will find another soul mate.
Incidentally Jo Won is still in the cast for 2N1D and he is the baby in the crowd. It is so funny to see how he gets treated as the young little bro with the other guys. and he laps it up. The whole group will snuggle up like a bunch of puppies when they all have to sleep outside or in a tent. He is usually in the middle and being kept warm. funny.

jubies33

Post by jubies33 » Sep 12th, '12, 17:32

finished Gaksital. I enjoyed it thoroughly except for every scene with Mok Dan. I finally got my wish in last ep
I have been waiting for a while now to see her die. Yes I know I am an evil girl
dropping panda and hedgehog. First two episodes were entertaining and I love the sisters but now I just find it boring. The female lead is annoying and It is feels like nothing ever happens but on the plus side(or negative?) I am drooling over the cakes. I like the ost too.
finished God's Quiz2 and now on God's Quiz 3 and remains awesome drama.
Haeundae lovers on hold.like it but could take it or leave it. Kim Kang Woo really shines here though.
Faith and Arang on hold. Yes I know I said I wouldn't watch Arang. I still don't like Junki but I am finding him tolerable here. The plot is great and the music is awesome and Shin Min Ah isn't all cutesy so I am fine with her. Faith is good too. I just don't have enough time for all these good dramas.
Of course still watching Reply 1997 and waiting for last two ep. Nothing but good things to say about this drama. Will break my heart when it is over.
May Queen and Five Fingers- both really good. Child actors are impressive. I may need to find another comedy to watch after though. This is a lot of melodrama for me. I may fall into the depths of despair.
J-drama Rich Man, Poor Woman-liking it a lot
waiting for subs for Vampire Prosecutor 2 and want to watch Nice Guy if I can find the time.