[Discussion] GTO (remake)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Sorvaseven

[Discussion] GTO (remake)

Post by Sorvaseven » Jun 1st, '12, 13:20

This Summer a remake of Great Teacher Onizuka will be broadcasted in television. Can't believe that anyone beside Sorimachi Takashi could be a better Onizuka. Sorimachi IS Onizuka!^^. Maybe the remake will be more lean on the manga? Neverthless it's generally interesting to see a remake, it's very unusual for a japanese drama. I think it will be very very difficult for the remake to step out of the shadow of the original GTO...

There is already an official website: http://www.ktv.jp/gto/

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Jun 4th, '12, 02:57

I'm not sure if this is a simple remake. If I'm not mistaken, in 2011 the "GTO Shonan 14 Days" Manga finished, which takes place somewhere "in the middle" of the real manga. Maybe they're using this as a base for the dorama? I think, that would be more interesting (because it tells new stories) then a simle remake which will hava a VERY hard stand against the original.

Well, we will see the outcome soon enought. ;)

totally_0bsessed

Post by totally_0bsessed » Jun 4th, '12, 03:02

GaussAlgorithmus wrote:I'm not sure if this is a simple remake. If I'm not mistaken, in 2011 the "GTO Shonan 14 Days" Manga finished, which takes place somewhere "in the middle" of the real manga. Maybe they're using this as a base for the dorama? I think, that would be more interesting (because it tells new stories) then a simle remake which will hava a VERY hard stand against the original.

Well, we will see the outcome soon enought. ;)
I believe they'll be using some of the characters from the "GTO Shonan 14 Days" manga so it should make things interesting.

I'm actually skeptical about this remake at first because the original is just perfect but seeing Akira look more like Manga-Onizuka is making me curious about this remake. I'm just gonna set my expectations low.

Saejima

Post by Saejima » Jun 6th, '12, 07:48

It's nice to see that AKIRA looks more like manga&anime Onizuka. I also think that it's gonna be a hard to make remake of this because the original dorama was so good.

Also I hope we will have theme song from EXILE. If I remenber right there should be a new single from EXILE in July?

Romance

Post by Romance » Jun 7th, '12, 11:42

Not too fond of this... but we will see how it turns out...

sichibukai

Post by sichibukai » Jul 2nd, '12, 04:35

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gE6-CGCVRb0?rel=0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Wakashimazu

Post by Wakashimazu » Jul 2nd, '12, 05:09

Onizuka's German suplex move? I'm gonna watch this. :D

totally_0bsessed

Post by totally_0bsessed » Jul 2nd, '12, 06:02

the teaser looks nice. :)

r1ck

Post by r1ck » Jul 2nd, '12, 07:19

really enjoy shin domoto kyoudai last night.
they ask about akira and takimoto relaitionship,
cause original live-acion drama GTO the two lead get into marriage.

jinzhi

Post by jinzhi » Jul 2nd, '12, 08:31

shin domoto kyoudai :
120701 新堂本兄弟 AKIRA瀧本美織新GTO宣传

d-addicts also out yesterday shin domoto kyoudai :
Shin Domoto Kyodai 20120701(1104x622).mp4
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_113680.htm

----------------------

AKIRA鬼塚に密着!GTO直前SP120701

d-addicts also out the HD torrent for the GTO SP alrdy
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_113666.htm

i think this drama will be soft-subbed by EricParo
http://fansub.d-addicts.com/Jdrama_Fans ... ummer_2012
Last edited by jinzhi on Jul 2nd, '12, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.

RetroHelix
Germany

Post by RetroHelix » Jul 2nd, '12, 09:48

I'm really looking forward to this show. But seeing the preview I already get the impression that Sorimachi Takashi was much better suited for this role.

xnopex

Post by xnopex » Jul 4th, '12, 01:33

eh i'll give this one a shot. haha can't be that bad compared to what the summer season is offering.

eledoremassis02

Post by eledoremassis02 » Jul 4th, '12, 01:58

I caught the last 20 minutes. It's defiantly closer to the Manga, but still differs a bit. AKIRA's performance has a hint of Sorimachi in it. But, Fuyutsuki is alot different than her 1998 counterpart. Though, so far..I'm not a fan of the new Uchiyamada. Ms. Sakurais not bad, closer to the Manga version so far. She seems to be a tougher character than her 98' counterpart.

But still.. the older dramas implanted in my mind so it's hard to accept the changes.

Romance

Post by Romance » Jul 4th, '12, 09:38

The first episode's rating - 15%, not too bad! But reading on the net the Japanese seem to be really disappointed with it. Especially the acting. Well, ill watch the first ep soon myself!

felisvelox

Post by felisvelox » Jul 4th, '12, 16:51

Saw it raw. Not bad in my opinion. The acting is tolerable, nothing impressive. They already added Katsuragi Miki in 2nd episode so we may see some storyline from GTO shonan 14 days mix together. I hope they add Kanzaki Urumi as soon as they can, if not, it will be hard for this one to beat the original.

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Jul 4th, '12, 21:36

I just fast forwarded a bit through the episode and I have to sy, I'm a bit baffled by the visual of this dorama:

Ist ist just me, or does it look totally 90s? I mean, the camera angles, pans and tracking shots look so like directly out of the 90s. The only thing that's missiing for the complete 90s look is a 4:3 ratio instead of the 16:9.

Am I the only one seeing this? Did they do this on purpose (like a homage to the original series?), or did this happen by accident?

SunnyGn

Post by SunnyGn » Jul 5th, '12, 03:13

haven't watched it yet. Thought it would be fail like HanaKimi 2011 but seems like it's doing better with the 1st ep.
But it still has a long way to go. Let's see if the remake version can be as successful as the original :)

iLLusiOnEr

Post by iLLusiOnEr » Jul 5th, '12, 17:57

At 21, Takimoto Miori is a bit young in age and image of Fuyutsuki sensei. AKIRA as Onizuka is not bad. Storyline? though I haven't read Shonan 14Days, I do hope they use its plot as new storyline instead of complete remake of 98's version.

fujitak

Post by fujitak » Jul 9th, '12, 16:33

Akira is totaly like onizuka

I searched but couldn't find this image in full size (1200x1800)

someone for help please

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jul 9th, '12, 22:43

Watched ep1. So far its OK. (without comparing it with the 98 ver) everything is nice and decent, but im starting to get tired of a school drama with a Yankee teacher like gokusen.

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Jul 10th, '12, 01:33

I just finished the first episode and I have to say, it was quite decent. I'm pleasently surprised. :) It's somehow different then the 98 version, and (even if only for nostalgica reasons) will probably not be THAT good, but it still has a lot of potential.
Concerning the main lead, I have to say, that Akira does a GREAT job!

Romance

Post by Romance » Jul 10th, '12, 09:13

Saw the first ep now and it was decent, but cant even be compared to Soramachi's version. Also Akira looks alot like Onizuka Eikichi in the manga but his acting is really weak... :-(

Takimoto doesnt fit at all for fuyutsuki, and her acting is also poor.
The students all lack a touch of personality...

I wonder why they did this :-(

mazerius1st

Post by mazerius1st » Jul 10th, '12, 09:23

For me, it does not matter if Akira's Onizuka can't beat Shorimachi's. As long I can see a GTO series I am content. :D

sunflower63

Post by sunflower63 » Jul 10th, '12, 14:13

Hi, where is the raw of this episode here on D-addicts, please? Thanks for your help.

k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by k361 » Jul 10th, '12, 14:52

sunflower63 wrote:Hi, where is the raw of this episode here on D-addicts, please? Thanks for your help.
search for GTO in http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/torrents.php

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/torrents.php?search=gto

sunflower63

Post by sunflower63 » Jul 10th, '12, 15:27

Thanks so much for this K361, I had searched in the torrents files but couldn't find it. Thanks to you I could get the right link. Arigatou. :-)

foshio88

Post by foshio88 » Jul 11th, '12, 23:40

jinzhi wrote:shin domoto kyoudai :
120701 新堂本兄弟 AKIRA瀧本美織新GTO宣传

d-addicts also out yesterday shin domoto kyoudai :
Shin Domoto Kyodai 20120701(1104x622).mp4
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_113680.htm

----------------------

AKIRA鬼塚に密着!GTO直前SP120701

d-addicts also out the HD torrent for the GTO SP alrdy
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_113666.htm

i think this drama will be soft-subbed by EricParo
http://fansub.d-addicts.com/Jdrama_Fans ... ummer_2012
Thank you so muchhh wah i never know Akira and Miori in Shin Domoto Kyodai :mrgreen:

I watched the 1st episode and, it was great! the cast is great, Miori is too young?
well if u wanna say she's not good then probably must watch her in Ikemen Desu Ne.
She's not an actress before, she's a ex member of Avex girl group called 'SweetS' disbanded on 2006 though.
At least she's not like a pretty face who hold a spear and wait for camera to zoom in aight?nyahahahah

Yamamoto Yusuke and Shirota Yuu definitely worth watching along side Akira.
Onizuka is so fantastically follow the manga side, plot is nice compare to 98 version.

All i can say is, sit back, relax and enjoy. Open some mind out and woooo the show
:whistling:

This drama is worth watching and i am so happy they are making back one of my fave and i bet lots of other GTO manga's fans too :salut: :whistling: :mrgreen:

Carsuke

Post by Carsuke » Jul 12th, '12, 12:51

Lasted 15 minutes. I can't help but think about how it was done in the 1998 version and it was just a gazillion times better.

darji

Post by darji » Jul 12th, '12, 14:48

Yeah I think I will drop this also. It lacks the charm and emotion of the old show. But most of all it lacks character. All of these people so far are just boring. And what was with the really stupid ending conclusion of episode 2? Who thought that this would be a good scene?....

Kur01

Post by Kur01 » Jul 12th, '12, 15:33

I haven't read the "GTO Shonan 14 Days" manga yet, so is it necessary and/or recommended to do so before watching this remake?

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Jul 12th, '12, 15:48

At the first glance, the first episode looks better than I've expected. Nevertheless, it has definitely not the charm of the 98s version! Sorimachi has played the role way more authentic! I will continue to watch it, because the remake seems nevertheless worth seeing.

mihon

Post by mihon » Jul 12th, '12, 16:48

I was actually going to watch the old GTO since I know it is a great dorama. I didn't know about this remake until I looked for torrents yesterday.

Well.... based on this discussion I will stick with the idea of watching the old '98 dorama. Maybe I'll watch the remake later... but probably it will take a while since there is so many other doramas I need to watch.

Romance

Post by Romance » Jul 13th, '12, 02:50

^ WATCH THE OLD ONE! It's a timeless classic!

There is no emotion and passion in this remake. You can clearly feel that + bad acting and just a general lack of character in every aspect. They couldnt even get the background tunes that raised the 98' version to unknown heights right.

Just to think that the legendary theme song "poison" now is replaced by some Exile-thing makes me wanna throw up :crazy:

Im not surprised the ratings went down by close to 2%.
Im sure it will keep getting lower and lower from now on...

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Jul 13th, '12, 03:23

mihon wrote:I was actually going to watch the old GTO since I know it is a great dorama. I didn't know about this remake until I looked for torrents yesterday.

Well.... based on this discussion I will stick with the idea of watching the old '98 dorama. Maybe I'll watch the remake later... but probably it will take a while since there is so many other doramas I need to watch.
It doesn't matter if you watch the old one or the new one first, as long as you watch the old one at all. It was one of the first doramas I watched, it's one of the few dramas that I watched several times and it's still one of my most favourite.
It's mainly the fault of "GTO" that I still watch dramas today...six (I think eight, but I'm not entirely sure) years later. So:
Watch it! It's one of the "must sees" imho.

Besides all that, up till now, I think the old one is far superior to the new one, althought
I don't really understand the harsh critique. The new one has pros and contras:
Good:
+ I really like Akira as GTO. I think he totally looks like it and his performance is quite good. Not as good as the original GTO (who was a little bit cheesy in his acting one has to admitt, but it fit the tone of the series I think), but still good.
+ The new one adds new stories from the newer mangas. That's great, so it's not only a remake.

Neutral:
° The new one looks really 90's...that's not "bad" and has a nice nostalgic touch...but feels a little bit outdated on the other hand
° The soundtrack is not as good as the old one. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I hate it or something like that, but, it's just a standard dorama soundtrack, very generic. The old one on the other hand was totally awesome! The Theme song and it's melody was used in a nice way. Sometimes they used in the normal version f.e. in the opening, and sometimes (in emotional moments) they used the slow piano version. Awesome! It's probably the best Theme of any drama I've ever heard...and there is NO other drama, which soundtrack I can remember. But I can always hum the GTO theme.
I don't get it, why they didn't include it in the new series. It would'Ve been much more awesome.

Negative:
- Episode 2 felt rushed and a little bit choppy to me. I got the feeling, taht something landed on the floor of the cutting room several times.
- THE CHARACTERS! This is a BIG one. Up till now, the characters are really flat. Fuyitsku....Fuyutski...whatever she is called is just this "grey mouse" with not cahracter traits. Uchiyama is just the old, complaining teacher, whose only actian is complaining about Onizuka. And the students feel also a little bit flat compared to the original. But it's not as bad with them, as it is wit hthe other side characters.
Fuyutski and Uchiyama have been given a lot of character with the ongoing episodes in the old one. Uchiyama became much more human, his behaviour was clearly explained and was believable. He was not jsut the "bad guy who hates Onizuka", he had his own problems and issues at home which he braucht into school...he was frustratet with many things, and that was the reason, why hebehaved like he did. It was something similar with Fuyutski.
I mean, it's al ittle bit early, they still have the time to establish the cahracters...but they have to start soon or it is to late. And with soon, I mean in the next one or two episodes.
So, to me, the new GTO is up to now a solid school drama. It's not bad and boring, but it isn't as super awesome and memorable as the old one. I will continue to watch it and still have the hope, that it'll get better...and as long as it doesn'T get worse, I will finish it.

mihon

Post by mihon » Jul 13th, '12, 03:38

GaussAlgorithmus wrote: It doesn't matter if you watch the old one or the new one first, as long as you watch the old one at all. It was one of the first doramas I watched, it's one of the few dramas that I watched several times and it's still one of my most favourite.
It's mainly the fault of "GTO" that I still watch dramas today...six (I think eight, but I'm not entirely sure) years later. So:
Watch it! It's one of the "must sees" imho.

Besides all that, up till now, I think the old one is far superior to the new one, althought
I don't really understand the harsh critique. The new one has pros and contras:
Good:
+ I really like Akira as GTO. I think he totally looks like it and his performance is quite good. Not as good as the original GTO (who was a little bit cheesy in his acting one has to admitt, but it fit the tone of the series I think), but still good.
+ The new one adds new stories from the newer mangas. That's great, so it's not only a remake.

Neutral:
° The new one looks really 90's...that's not "bad" and has a nice nostalgic touch...but feels a little bit outdated on the other hand
° The soundtrack is not as good as the old one. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I hate it or something like that, but, it's just a standard dorama soundtrack, very generic. The old one on the other hand was totally awesome! The Theme song and it's melody was used in a nice way. Sometimes they used in the normal version f.e. in the opening, and sometimes (in emotional moments) they used the slow piano version. Awesome! It's probably the best Theme of any drama I've ever heard...and there is NO other drama, which soundtrack I can remember. But I can always hum the GTO theme.
I don't get it, why they didn't include it in the new series. It would'Ve been much more awesome.

Negative:
- Episode 2 felt rushed and a little bit choppy to me. I got the feeling, taht something landed on the floor of the cutting room several times.
- THE CHARACTERS! This is a BIG one. Up till now, the characters are really flat. Fuyitsku....Fuyutski...whatever she is called is just this "grey mouse" with not cahracter traits. Uchiyama is just the old, complaining teacher, whose only actian is complaining about Onizuka. And the students feel also a little bit flat compared to the original. But it's not as bad with them, as it is wit hthe other side characters.
Fuyutski and Uchiyama have been given a lot of character with the ongoing episodes in the old one. Uchiyama became much more human, his behaviour was clearly explained and was believable. He was not jsut the "bad guy who hates Onizuka", he had his own problems and issues at home which he braucht into school...he was frustratet with many things, and that was the reason, why hebehaved like he did. It was something similar with Fuyutski.
I mean, it's al ittle bit early, they still have the time to establish the cahracters...but they have to start soon or it is to late. And with soon, I mean in the next one or two episodes.
So, to me, the new GTO is up to now a solid school drama. It's not bad and boring, but it isn't as super awesome and memorable as the old one. I will continue to watch it and still have the hope, that it'll get better...and as long as it doesn'T get worse, I will finish it.
Yeah, I can understand now that this new one isn't "just" a remake. It is worth a watch later yes. So I wll watch it. And for that, I'm happy this really isn't a remake only. :)
And this is GTO anyway!

Thanks for all advice!

Wakashimazu

Post by Wakashimazu » Jul 13th, '12, 05:34

Am I the only one who noticed this?
CGI EFFECTS! :lol :lol :lol

EPS 1:

-German Suplex scene.

EPS 2:

- Left side mirror of Onizuka's bike while he's searching Miki.
- The balloons that flew away when Onizuka look up in the sky.

Murai82

Post by Murai82 » Jul 13th, '12, 10:35

I'm a great fan of the old one, Sorimachi was great.
But for anyone saying that AKIRA's not doing a great job, i'd like to see proofs and arguments supporting this. He's portraying a really good Onizuka, more close to the manga, with a more punk-biker attitude, a real Z2 driven like a punk, and not a bycicle like the original (that alone put this remake in a good light).
The cast was well chosen, with people of the right age and not people in their twenties like the original drama (or even 22 !! like Murai in the 98 drama), they added stories and many characters forgotten in the original one. (ryuji, for example)
I'm not criticizing the original, it's one of the best drama ever, i'm only saying that i don't see any reason to bash the remake, i saw many comments above based on preconceptions and i was wondering if you have actually seen the drama.
Watch the drama and stop comparing this to the old one. Just enjoy it. Why the hell people always must compare things, it's beyond me. It's like saying that no one should have wrote music after Beethoven, because no one will have his talent again.

darji

Post by darji » Jul 13th, '12, 12:35

Murai82 wrote:I'm a great fan of the old one, Sorimachi was great.
But for anyone saying that AKIRA's not doing a great job, i'd like to see proofs and arguments supporting this. He's portraying a really good Onizuka, more close to the manga, with a more punk-biker attitude, a real Z2 driven like a punk, and not a bycicle like the original (that alone put this remake in a good light).
The cast was well chosen, with people of the right age and not people in their twenties like the original drama (or even 22 !! like Murai in the 98 drama), they added stories and many characters forgotten in the original one. (ryuji, for example)
I'm not criticizing the original, it's one of the best drama ever, I'm only saying that i don't see any reason to bash the remake, i saw many comments above based on preconceptions and i was wondering if you have actually seen the drama.
Watch the drama and stop comparing this to the old one. Just enjoy it. Why the hell people always must compare things, it's beyond me. It's like saying that no one should have wrote music after Beethoven, because no one will have his talent again.
Onizuka is not really the problem even when I think he is a real dick. The biggest problem are the side characters. The whole class does not stand out like they did in the older Version. Fuyutsuki so far has nor character or even charm like the old one had and it is the same with the other teacher and especially Uchiyamada. It just feels soulless to me.

And again the conclusion to episode 2 was absolute terrible. It did not even make real sense.

Murai82

Post by Murai82 » Jul 13th, '12, 13:07

I'm sorry but i have to disagree.
It's only a personal view, of course, but i've never liked that much Nanako Matsushima's portrayal of Fuyutsuki. She was the total opposite of the original Fuyutsuki's character.
Fuyutsuki in gto has never been a career woman, craving for money and social status. Takimoto miori is more close to the original Fuyutsuki in appereance, too. I think she will have her chances to appear more in the next episodes, it's only a matter of time.
And again, only my personal view, but the conclusion of the 2nd episode was really faithful to Shonan 14 days katsuragi volume, and we gto fans appreciated it. ;)

darji

Post by darji » Jul 13th, '12, 15:18

Murai82 wrote:I'm sorry but i have to disagree.
It's only a personal view, of course, but i've never liked that much Nanako Matsushima's portrayal of Fuyutsuki. She was the total opposite of the original Fuyutsuki's character.
Fuyutsuki in gto has never been a career woman, craving for money and social status. Takimoto miori is more close to the original Fuyutsuki in appereance, too. I think she will have her chances to appear more in the next episodes, it's only a matter of time.
And again, only my personal view, but the conclusion of the 2nd episode was really faithful to Shonan 14 days katsuragi volume, and we gto fans appreciated it. ;)
I only watched the anime before the jdrama and I really don't mind a different character nor do I compare them neither with the anime, manga or old drama. But its just that the new ones don't have any personality at all so far.

Carsuke

Post by Carsuke » Jul 13th, '12, 22:53

Well I think the old GTO used the manga as a basis to create a great drama while this one just tries to adapt the manga to be the more faithful possible. I think the first approach is the best, too many things that work on paper don't look good on TV.

Saltine
Fansubber
Fansubber
Japan

Post by Saltine » Jul 14th, '12, 10:22

Today I watched the first episodes of GTO.
I have in mind the scenes and characters from the late 90's serie and I was curious to see how they do a remake of that very popular (and nice) drama.

From the first scenes, I had a general negative feeling.

There's a mixture of scenes taken from previous GTO and the mangas.
But I expected this, obviously the producers did not want to make a copy of the previous drama.

The logical thread is indeed very weak and cumbersome.
I was disgusted.

The actors portraying Onizuka and Saejima are safe; they are the only ones who act quite well. Other cast, even people with big names, are terrible here.

It's a pity, because they are quite good actors that have done good productions before. So it's definitely IMO the glued story or the script or the director that ruin this drama.

I bet it won't reach the ratings of the previous serie. I have abandoned it. :-(

bean

Post by bean » Jul 14th, '12, 18:34

I think the remake is not so bad, but still crossing finger as I have only watched one episode so far. I mean Akira as onizuka is totally fitting. He got the 'yakuza' aura with him. But the character of fuyutki is really bland or rather flat. Its like she's just a bystander with no significant effect in the plot... Which is a great disappointment. Though I'm hoping they will developed the character better.

Well, I'll still watch the drama as its is quite good.

Rainmaker21

Post by Rainmaker21 » Jul 21st, '12, 08:48

I have to say...this remake is pretty awful. I've watched all three episodes thus far and everything just seems so forced together. In the original GTO, things seemed to flow well and we at least had a good background on all the characters, including the students. Isn't weird that...for a teacher...Onizuka doesn't spend ANY time in the class room...? It's hard to even call him a teacher at all. It just seems like he's this random guy saving these students he hardly even knows. At least in the original TV show and the anime, it was established that he originally WANTED to be a teacher and that he ACTUALLY spent time in the classroom with the students. Also, isn't just plain ridiculous that Onizuka is walking around giving unsolicited advice to all these parents about what to do? I mean, what does he know? At least in the anime and in the original drama, he would give advice TO THE STUDENTS which made it way more heartfelt. In this remake his character is some guy they picked off the street randomly to become a teacher. It just doesn't sit well, and all of a sudden he's this wise man that seems to know everything. In the anime and the original drama at least we know Onizuka draws his wisdom from his youth and his desire to want to be a teacher. Everything just seems to be executed so poorly in the remake. Characters show up conveniently out of the blue to save the day or give Onizuka bits of convenient information that allows him to find a missing student with such ease. Nothing in the series makes any real sense.

sunflower63

Post by sunflower63 » Jul 21st, '12, 09:42

I agree that it all seems out of the blue compared to the first version, however the acting in this drama is also pretty good and the actor playing Onizuka is believable in his role. I think this will be mostly appreciated by the new generations who haven't seen the old one and maybe they will decide to watch that one too.

felisvelox

Post by felisvelox » Jul 21st, '12, 16:19

Rainmaker21 wrote:In the anime and the original drama at least we know Onizuka draws his wisdom from his youth and his desire to want to be a teacher.
Don't know about anime, but in original manga, the reason he wants to be a teacher at the first place because he wants to be popular with female students and losing his virginity.

digitalcoconut

Post by digitalcoconut » Jul 24th, '12, 00:30

Rainmaker21 wrote:I have to say...this remake is pretty awful. I've watched all three episodes thus far and everything just seems so forced together. In the original GTO, things seemed to flow well and we at least had a good background on all the characters, including the students. Isn't weird that...for a teacher...Onizuka doesn't spend ANY time in the class room...? It's hard to even call him a teacher at all. It just seems like he's this random guy saving these students he hardly even knows. At least in the original TV show and the anime, it was established that he originally WANTED to be a teacher and that he ACTUALLY spent time in the classroom with the students. Also, isn't just plain ridiculous that Onizuka is walking around giving unsolicited advice to all these parents about what to do? I mean, what does he know? At least in the anime and in the original drama, he would give advice TO THE STUDENTS which made it way more heartfelt. In this remake his character is some guy they picked off the street randomly to become a teacher. It just doesn't sit well, and all of a sudden he's this wise man that seems to know everything. In the anime and the original drama at least we know Onizuka draws his wisdom from his youth and his desire to want to be a teacher. Everything just seems to be executed so poorly in the remake. Characters show up conveniently out of the blue to save the day or give Onizuka bits of convenient information that allows him to find a missing student with such ease. Nothing in the series makes any real sense.
this. agreed with all your points.

i dropped this series, i rather re watch the original drama. the pilot episode are OK-ish. the 2nd are terrible. i decided to give last shot for the 3rd (because of sentimental value), but it aint got any better.

agree this remake drama closer to manga. but usually what good on paper doesnt necessarily good on screen.

fifimimi

Post by fifimimi » Jul 24th, '12, 01:17

I've read all the posts here because I wanted to see if this drama was worth watching or not. I have seen the original dorama (which I loved....and sorimachi takeshi x matsushima nanako -DAISUKI!!) and also the anime. I think I can safely say that I won't be 'missing out' on anything by skipping the drama (remake).

Not to say that I only hear the criticism and not the praise but I don't really seem anyone shouting how great this remake is and that it is a shame to miss. Unless by the end of the series there are raving reviews...then I think there are plenty of new materials to try out this season than to watch a remake that maybe alright but far from as great as the predecessor. Thanks for all your opinions!!

ainhoa

Post by ainhoa » Jul 25th, '12, 15:41

i'm just waiting to see what they do to kanzaki

felisvelox

Post by felisvelox » Jul 25th, '12, 17:21

fifimimi wrote:Not to say that I only hear the criticism and not the praise but I don't really seem anyone shouting how great this remake is and that it is a shame to miss.
The only thing that great about this is the title(great teacher onizuka). I love the manga, never saw the anime, and I think they did a good job with the first drama even though they changed a lot of things from the manga. But this drama is not a remake of the previous one but an adaptation from the original manga and it's sequel. The only mistake is they try to cramp 2 volumes of manga into 45 minutes episode. And the result is pretty bad. Everything feels so rush. And mixing up the arc from the original manga and the sequel just doesn't work.

But since I'm a fan of the manga, I think it's pretty nostalgic. Fuyutsuki and Miyabi acted more like the original than the first drama. And I'm still waiting for Kanzaki and Miyabi arc. Will definitely watch this until the end. But for the fans of the first drama, you should just skip this one or read the manga first.

sweetimpact

Post by sweetimpact » Jul 25th, '12, 19:01

Never have read the manga or seen the original drama and i'm somewhat glad. Would some of you have looked at this differently if this wasn't called "Great Teacher Onizuka"?

I'm liking what i've seen so far, sure it's no 10/10 masterpiece in my books but nonetheless it doesn't seem to be as bad as some of you are making it out to be.

darji

Post by darji » Jul 26th, '12, 11:18

sweetimpact wrote:Never have read the manga or seen the original drama and i'm somewhat glad. Would some of you have looked at this differently if this wasn't called "Great Teacher Onizuka"?
Not really. As I said before I do not mind changes at all but these characters are sooo bland and shallow that it is very boring to watch.

kirtil
Turkey

Post by kirtil » Jul 27th, '12, 07:39

The thing I have most problem with this drama is that they scaled everything up.

In the original Onizuka was just a guy (albeit an impressive guy in some circles ie: impressive figure for motorbike gangs/youths because of his background - but thats about it. for rest of the world he is an underdog. thats what made him impressive) tackling with everyday problems of students. it was like watching a street-level adventure game.

This time;
he first stood against the yakuza, then he stood against the police...

its like they wanted to one-up the old one and gone the wrong way. Onuzuka himself is no more an average/impressive man who wants to be a teacher and help students; he is above regular humans, he can do no one else can. Not just him; the students are also nothing ordinary with excellent hacking abilities, ties to yakuza, one button calls to the police, you name it; they have it.

As a school drama I find this series average (certainly not worse than some, even most of them) but as a continuation/remake of a great series/manga; I find it severely lacking.

Murai82

Post by Murai82 » Jul 27th, '12, 14:15

kirtil wrote:The thing I have most problem with this drama is that they scaled everything up.

In the original Onizuka was just a guy (albeit an impressive guy in some circles ie: impressive figure for motorbike gangs/youths because of his background - but thats about it. for rest of the world he is an underdog. thats what made him impressive) tackling with everyday problems of students. it was like watching a street-level adventure game.

This time;

its like they wanted to one-up the old one and gone the wrong way. Onuzuka himself is no more an average/impressive man who wants to be a teacher and help students; he is above regular humans, he can do no one else can. Not just him; the students are also nothing ordinary with excellent hacking abilities, ties to yakuza, one button calls to the police, you name it; they have it.

As a school drama I find this series average (certainly not worse than some, even most of them) but as a continuation/remake of a great series/manga; I find it severely lacking.
I don't think you've read GTO carefully then. You depicted exactly what GTO is about: students with hacking abilities, ties to yakuza, one button call the police. This is exactly how they appear in the manga, not an ounce of this was enhanced in the drama. ;)
Sorry but i don't agree with your sentence "onizuka was just a guy". I find it hard to define "just a guy" a man that fights against 100 people in arm wrestling and survives after being shot several times in the head and goes immediately after in a restaurant to eat a bowl of ramen. :mrgreen:
Come on guys, don't overthink, it's gto. If you don't appreciate the superhero figure of Onizuka, don't even start watching this, because this is the foundation of this manga-anime.

Ugly Pig

Post by Ugly Pig » Jul 27th, '12, 15:17

kirtil wrote:The thing I have most problem with this drama is that they scaled everything up.

This time;

Uh, I'm sorry, but you have it completely backwards. Onizuka was never "just an ordinary guy". In fact, the Takashi Sorimachi version toned the character way, way down. The Onizuka in the original story is a wild beast, unbeatable in a fight, to the point where his opponents end up wondering if he's even human. You can break his bones, stab him, even shoot him and he'll still finish the fight and completely kick your ass before he's hauled off to the hospital. He isn't called "demon" for nothing.

And originally, it wasn't his dream to become a teacher until he became an adult and he got it into his head that becoming a teacher would be a good way to get girls. Then once he found employment, he came to realize that he himself is no more mature than the kids he's teaching. He sees his students as his friends, and Onizuka will stop at nothing to help friends in trouble.

Onizuka is a virgin - not because he's "saving himself for true love" or anything like that as in the old drama - but because he always fails to get laid. He's horny, and a bit of a perv, and he always fails to get any. Even if a girl is into him, he'll do something creepy or say something stupid before he can seal the deal, and scare her off.

He's stupid like that. In fact, he's full of comical flaws. He'll do whatever it takes to help his friends, but he's not some selfless do-gooder who never acts selfishly. He does exactly what he wants. He won't hesitate to take outrageous action if he thinks it'll help him. He'll break windows, break laws, break cars, break people. Whatever it takes to reach his goal - whether to help a student in need or for his own purposes - he'll get it done. At his core, he's a good person, and he has a clear distinction between right and wrong - but don't count on him to talk politely, behave in anything resembling civil fashion or know when to keep his mouth shut when something isn't to his liking.

That is the real Onizuka, but as I said - in the old drama they toned him down, tamed him. The new version is truer to the original in that respect, but is still kind of a "TV friendly" version of the character. The original Onizuka didn't preach to people to make them see the error of their ways - at least not without opening a can of whupass on someone right after. Or right before.

darji

Post by darji » Jul 29th, '12, 00:43

In my Opinion the old GTO and Onizuka was more inspired by the Anime. I have never read the Manga so I can not say how he is compared to that but he was more in line with he Anime.

This GTO feels more like a Gokusen with a male guy.

Ugly Pig

Post by Ugly Pig » Jul 29th, '12, 16:49

darji wrote:In my Opinion the old GTO and Onizuka was more inspired by the Anime. I have never read the Manga so I can not say how he is compared to that but he was more in line with he Anime.
IMO, it's the exact opposite. This Onizuka is closer to the original than in the old drama. I'd describe him as something in between the anime version and the old drama version.

By the way, the old drama was definitely not inspired by the anime. The anime only came out later.

kirtil
Turkey

Post by kirtil » Aug 4th, '12, 09:44

You most definitely may be right on me getting it backwards. I did not read the manga.

I was just comparing to the original series. A series I liked.

On that light; my comments remain the same.

ainhoa

Post by ainhoa » Aug 8th, '12, 14:18

I cant wait for episode 7, finally some kanzaki

xaxa

Post by xaxa » Aug 8th, '12, 15:06

new gto sucks. period.

Artemis

Post by Artemis » Aug 8th, '12, 20:57

I'm enjoying the series but I think it's because I'm viewing it more as another teacher-student-school drama than an actual remake. And it definitely has more of a "Gokusen" vibe than "GTO"

fedex

Post by fedex » Aug 10th, '12, 13:23

i think the GTO remake except the Akira ,all the other cast is can't compare to an old version ,it lack of the looking ,express the emotion ,... the old one ,in each character a strong personality...and very style
let take fuyutsuki for the example ,the 98's is really a beauty hot girl ,and the remake's is too normal
and the important is we used to it . whenver we have the good impress onto anything ,we default-lize it is the standard ... because of these ,it harder for we to accept the remake
and one more think of mine (this is just my side) , don't compare it to the 1998 ,back then the japan social and the technology is more different than now ... think about how hard you can reach onizuka is ,the funny moment with the computer (it a new at this time ), the love and the way how their people communicate is different
SO GIVE IT A TRY ,RELAX AND WATCH IT LIKE THE 1998'S IS DON'T EXIST
ENJOY :wub:

shineox

Post by shineox » Aug 12th, '12, 04:50

why do I feel like most of the people complaining about the new GTO have never even read the manga version? The original GTO is great in its own way, but hardly captured the essence of the Onizuka character, but instead, just used the stories as a framework for a teacher/student drama. The new series does a great job being more faithful to the original work. The new Onizuka is much more like the manga, stupid, pervy, but is always messing up. But in the end, he's always there to save the day.

There's no point in trying to compare the two. In my opinion, it's two separate store interpretations. And watchers should take it as that.

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Aug 12th, '12, 06:36

I paused on GTO. I will finishi it one day, but not now. My time is limited and there are other doramas which I like to watch more.

And, as much as I like AKIRA in the Onizuka role, I'd honestly rather watch the old series again, instead of watching this one. All other characters besides Onizuka himself are so flat, boring and simply not interesting. Besides that, I'm really disappointed, that they didn't make him leave school for 2 episodes like in "14 shounen days" though I think this is a budget decision.

Ugly Pig

Post by Ugly Pig » Aug 12th, '12, 13:37

shineox wrote:why do I feel like most of the people complaining about the new GTO have never even read the manga version? The original GTO is great in its own way, but hardly captured the essence of the Onizuka character, but instead, just used the stories as a framework for a teacher/student drama. The new series does a great job being more faithful to the original work. The new Onizuka is much more like the manga, stupid, pervy, but is always messing up. But in the end, he's always there to save the day.

There's no point in trying to compare the two. In my opinion, it's two separate store interpretations. And watchers should take it as that.
Exactly. People who only know GTO from the old drama and expect this to be the same thing are obviously going to be disappointed.

People, the GTO drama starring Takashi Sorimachi is NOT the original GTO. Please understand that. It was a great interpretation and I loved it, but that's all it was, one interpretation. The new drama offers a different, and equally as valid, take on the story. As I hoped it would. Because, honestly, what would the point be if they just remade the old drama? We've already seen that. No point in doing the same thing twice.

So yeah. I like that the new version goes about things a little differently. The old version did some things better, yes. Other elements are being done better in the new one. They both have their own strengths and weaknesses. Neither is perfect, but both are good for what they are. Neither one "sucks".

asialover

Post by asialover » Aug 12th, '12, 15:20

I am agree that the new GTO is more faithful to the manga than the old GTO drama. But the big difference with the GTO 1998 it's tht the new version lack of humanisation of the characters, lack of attachment between the characters and between the characters and the viewers. In the new version all seems fake and superficial. All the characters exist just for their fonction nothing other, they don't seem real.
The best exemple is the episode with Tomoko, in the 98 version is masterpiece of emotion, the viewer is moved by tomoko, the relationship between onizuka and tomoko is great then in the scene of the audition the viewers is moved by the intervention of onizuka and the speech of tomoko. In the new version the audition scene and the intervention of onizuka seems fake and without emotion.
It's the reason i have the impression to watch a sitcom ( i watch the episode and i forgot speedily) not a great drama with great characters and link betweem them like the original GTO.

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Aug 12th, '12, 20:26

Ugly Pig wrote:Exactly. People who only know GTO from the old drama and expect this to be the same thing are obviously going to be disappointed.
I've read the manga, watched the anime and the first GTO dorama incl. the special and the movie. ;)

Ugly Pig wrote:Other elements are being done better in the new one
What elements? Beside AKIRA who is as good as Sorimachi but in a different way, I don't see how the "new" one makes anything better then the old.
asialover wrote:But the big difference with the GTO 1998 it's tht the new version lack of humanisation of the characters, lack of attachment between the characters and between the characters and the viewers. In the new version all seems fake and superficial. All the characters exist just for their fonction nothing other, they don't seem real.
The best exemple is the episode with Tomoko, in the 98 version is masterpiece of emotion, the viewer is moved by tomoko, the relationship between onizuka and tomoko is great then in the scene of the audition the viewers is moved by the intervention of onizuka and the speech of tomoko. In the new version the audition scene and the intervention of onizuka seems fake and without emotion.
It's the reason i have the impression to watch a sitcom ( i watch the episode and i forgot speedily) not a great drama with great characters and link betweem them like the original GTO.
This is exactly how I feel about this. The other good examble is Uchiyama: In the old version he had a real character. He had problems at home and there was simply a reason why he behaved like he did. Now he is just the stereotypical "bad guy". The teachers have been much more interesting in the 98 GTO: The creepy maths teacher, the at home surpresses Uchiyama, the bribe taking one, the pervy sports teacher...it was not just the typically:
"Unconventional teacher solves a problem of a student" formular, which repeats over and over again. There was this connecting story arc, and not only the students had problems to solve.

The first GTO was a really "different" teacher-school dorama in my eyes, the actual one is just too normal in my eyes. And that is it's main flaw: It's not bad...but it doesn't stand out of the crowd like the old one either.

fujitak

Post by fujitak » Aug 14th, '12, 22:51

why they didn't make a season 2 of GTO with only stories of GTO shonan 14 days.
With GTO 2012 we have a mix between stories of the first dram and stories about SHONAN 14 DAYS.
Confusing.
I heard that movie of gto is coming soon?

felisvelox

Post by felisvelox » Aug 15th, '12, 14:10

Just finished watching ep7. That was bad. They changed Kanzaki character too much. And who the hell thought about combining 2 manga arcs into 1 episode was a good idea? I blame this on the writer. Well, at least Miyabi still the evil that she was in the manga. Next week, Kanzaki vs Miyabi arc...

ainhoa

Post by ainhoa » Aug 15th, '12, 16:36

they watered kanzaki down wayyyy too much.

fujitak

Post by fujitak » Aug 15th, '12, 17:34

someone knows where we could download GTO 2012 theme song (24 karats stay gold/exile tribe?

musangki

Post by musangki » Aug 24th, '12, 16:55

GTO Remake epi 8,more like Hammer Session epi 5

in this case, i prefer watch Hammer Session than GTO Remake epi 8

sunflower63

Post by sunflower63 » Aug 24th, '12, 17:13

For me this episode wasn't too bad although I never read the manga of this. I only watched the first version and I think this one has a more up to date viewpoint and I am coming to apprieciate the main actor too.

hhv94

Post by hhv94 » Aug 30th, '12, 21:31

I don't see anything wrong with the remake myself. It is a different take on GTO itself with a big mix of the GTO original manga and the 14 days title but I think it makes un-predictable that way as the series progresses. Either way I hope I get a chance to find a way to download all the episodes. I'd like to have this in my GTO collection.

Romance

Post by Romance » Aug 31st, '12, 01:44

This drama is not GTO, its a mix between Gokusen and Hammer Session.
GTO is something totally different... Sorimachi...!!!