[Discussion] Rich Man Poor Woman

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
counsel05

Post by counsel05 » Sep 16th, '12, 08:25

Episode 10 is all about knowing what your heart desires, confronting it and settling things out. Hyuga will always go back to where he started. Although at first I though its a good idea to start anew, but then after realizing later on how important Asahina is to him, he simply understands him in the end. As if saying nobody is to blame.
Avalokita wrote:
el_canuck wrote:BUT, when someone is leaving or "flying out", then one of the stars is running to the airport instead of just using the cell phone. Cell phones are just not as dramatic as running through an airport.
Yeah! It's ridiculous that Tokyo is such a huge city but when someone really has to hurry to get somewhere, they always run!
No matter how cliche the scenes are you got to admit we all want a dramatic ending.:wub:
tv dramas fulfill our frustration and imaginations in real life. :D

toma-rabu

Post by toma-rabu » Sep 16th, '12, 15:29

Note: I know I'm late to the discussion, but I just marathoned 10 episodes in 2 days...
GaussAlgorithmus wrote:Passing an awesome job offer just because of beinge somewhat in love with one person is totally bonkers. She doesn't know himn for long, she doesn't really know him personally, she doesn't know how he feels about her and he didn't even show any signs of "really" liking her. Still she gave up this probably once in a lifetime chance.
Did Natsui only do it because she was in love with Hyuga? No, I don't think so. Love might have played a part, but I think there's a lot more under the surface.

Is it really a once-in-a-lifetime chance? No, I don't think so. She has more confidence in herself and probably believed working with Hyuga was the once-in-a-lifetime chance. It wasn't even her only job offer because Asahina offered her a job too. She kept saying she wanted to work by Hyuga's side. She only considered S-tel's offer because she thought Hyuga didn't need her, it was her best prospect, and she would be unemployed.

Not only for love, I think she was motivated by her convictions and principles. She did what she thought was right and just. She saw her hero fallen and abandoned by everyone he believed in. He was in the right and did nothing wrong, but he lost everything. Standing up for someone and showing solidarity can be considered noble, not just lovesickness.
GaussAlgorithmus wrote:He is totally broke, he literally hasn't much more then the clothes he is wearing...but wants to start a new business.
You are rationalizing with the benefit of hindsight. She might have acted rashly, but she believed in him. She had no reason to question his financial situation or management. Why would she know a guy who was worth millions is suddenly broke? I'm sure she thought his millions would trump her salary working as a reseacher. Most people wouldn't know without seeing Asahina's press conference or Hyuga's reckless spending and bank book.

Also her actions were further justified when she came to realize that Hyuga is immature and lacks the skills to manage a business or handle administative tasks. She stepped in to perform Asahina's grounded role, so Hyuga could play his brilliant, visionary role. Who else was going to do it while she was working as a researcher to pay for the business expenses?
GaussAlgorithmus wrote:I simply can't imagine a student from Todai (which is still THE elite university in Japan) behaving as stupid as she always does.
Yes, she's from an elite school. However, her self-confidence was shattered after 8 months of rejections. At the beginning, she was going through the motions and showing up, but she didn't believe in herself anymore. Hyuga, a charismatic leader with an aspirational message, pulled her from her dejection. Maybe it is far-fetched that a Todai student would be in such a rut?

Then, the guy who gave her hope voiced what she was already thinking: everything she was told to do was wrong and worthless. She found herself again when she realized her lack of job offers doesn't mean that she's worthless. He taught her that she needed to think for herself and not just do what everyone else told her.

Enticed by a sweet deal, she was lured into working for Next. At first, I think she did it for the money, but over time, she enjoyed it because of the way it made her feel. She was gaining confidence in herself, and she felt like what she did mattered.

She might have had a crush on him, but she never showed any intention of trying to get him or hoping that she could. I got more of a sense that she admired him and his work. Slowly, she probably realized that she was in love with him, and that might be why she decided to distance herself, especially since she thought her feelings were not reciprocated and he did not need her.

In episode 10,
you can see Natsui having doubts. She is competent, maybe exceptional. She's confident and not made to look stupid. However, she doubts what she is doing matters or will make the world a better place.
GaussAlgorithmus wrote:She is blindly following him like a cute puppy. Seriously, how more cliché can it get?
Except she is not doing this only out of love for the man. You can see that she has also fallen in love with his message and cause. She believes in what he stands for and that he is going to make the world a better place.

For that purpose, she's doing what she thinks will help make a better world as well. Some people might think she is stupidly in love. However, how about the fact that she is also a loyal, hardworking, passionate employee with initiative? While she was fired, humiliated, and bullied, she persevered and triumphed for a greater good.

I got the sense that she is an independent, free-thinking woman, not a school girl puppy hoping to win love and validation from her crush. They balance and complement each other. Their chemistry seems to be developing as mutual admiration and realization they are kindred spirits...which is much deeper than a shared appreciaton for the same kinds of dining tables or happening to ride on the same trains.

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 16th, '12, 16:14

@toma-rabu
:clap: :clap: :clap:

:mrgreen:

el_canuck

Post by el_canuck » Sep 17th, '12, 00:08

toma-rabu

You are good

(I hope)

in2sky
Japan

Post by in2sky » Sep 17th, '12, 11:36

last episode can't wait :)

ombink

Post by ombink » Sep 17th, '12, 13:39

is there SP episode? eipsode 00..
i've just know it today

el_canuck

Post by el_canuck » Sep 18th, '12, 16:15

Just watched 11 without subs, amazing how not only running to the airport or running through the airport but also using the cell phone running through the airport. A little bit of the old and the new. Yes I would like to see at least one episode with the new new company and see how everyone fits in.

knuts

Post by knuts » Sep 18th, '12, 19:37

frankly, it took me 3 attempts to watch this drama.

First two times I could not get passed girl lead's upper lip. I have read about people complaining about actor's hair style and clothing before, but this is the first time for me to be so distracted by the looks of an actor/actress. First time I watch this actress. I could not help it, but kept staring at her upper lip and kept wondering: has she been stung by a bee? Is it really all natural? Or just a case of a bit too much sillicon or whatever they use to thicken lips with? I have managed to watch all 11 eps, but still wonder about the upper lip.

About the drama. I liked the romance part. I think that was well done, because I it made me feel the tension and ...pain? .between the leads.

I don't understand the business part. So he is still friends with that guy after that betrayal? And goes back to that company that kicked him out? Nevermind.

voldemort

Post by voldemort » Sep 19th, '12, 17:59

About that episode 11, so the airport scene was not the final one... but close to that !

Well, not too bad overall, but a little bit disappointing anyway as once again I was completely unable to understand Natsui.

About her lips, well I also considered that weird in the first episodes, but I guess I managed to get used to it ;)

Anyway, I've enjoyed the serie a lot and I am sad it is over. I have been waiting for such a role for Oguri Shun since Hana yori dango, and it turned perfect for him ;)

gilnis
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gilnis » Sep 21st, '12, 09:59

We got such a funny, touching and cute ending for the story. :cheers:
I wasn't really able to understand Makoto either and Hyuga is hopeless concerning Asahina, but I just loved the whole episode. It's a drama after all. :P
I wouldn't miss it for the world to mention that the acting was superb!!! :wub:

Besides there's one thing I'd like to talk about. I think it's a pity that Yoko didn't got a better part in the storyline. I feel this way as things happened, she was completely unnecessary. She could have had her own little story which wouldn't have been related to Hyuga at all. Something could have been there for her as Asahina's sister if we want to have a connection to the others so badly. However I'm glad I finally was able to see Aibu Saki as a nice character.

sunflower63

Post by sunflower63 » Sep 21st, '12, 15:24

This was a great, great drama for me and one of the best Japanese dramas that I have watched in a long time. The acting was great, the story superb, the settings very well filmed and the OST particularly suitable. I particularly appreciated the way they focused a lot on the friendship between Hyuga and Asahina and both the actors who played these characters were brilliant. I hope there will be more Jdramas like this in the near future.

SusieQ

Post by SusieQ » Sep 22nd, '12, 11:46

I had my fair share of gripes with this drama, but all was well in the final episode. It was PERFECT! ADORABLE! I loved the airport scene and the EPIC kisses (seriously, that second one is literally the BEST kiss I have ever seen in a jdrama), and before that Yasuoka's eyebrow flick. XD

It's not great that this was the best episode of the drama, but I love that it relieved all that icky tension that had built up over the course of the series. I'm so pleased with the ultra-super-happy ending. =D

P.S. I love Ishihara Satomi, but the entire cast was awesome. This was a truly brilliant series and put much of 2012's other dramas to shame.

counsel05

Post by counsel05 » Sep 25th, '12, 02:45

My congratulations to the cast for doing a good job.
They manage to end it not in a rush but just enough to let all things come into place and all patched up.

Lucky for Asahina to have a friend like Hyuga.
Lucky for both Hyuga and Makoto to have each other.
Love that group picture taking scene in the last. Particularly the pose of Hyuga grabbing Makoto :wub: as if trying to say to all SHE IS ALL MINE!!

Don't we just love to have everybody cheering for your love and not going against it? :cheers: :D

Thanks guys & gals for watching this show with me (since I started this thread) and sharing your comments here.

To all who haven't watch it yet this drama is worth a try.
To those who are in the middle of watching or having second thoughts of finishing it
please continue to watch, no need to think much. Just enjoy the show. They have great actors in this drama. :-)

Jav_sol

Post by Jav_sol » Sep 25th, '12, 21:03

knuts wrote:
First two times I could not get passed girl lead's upper lip. I have read about people complaining about actor's hair style and clothing before, but this is the first time for me to be so distracted by the looks of an actor/actress. First time I watch this actress. I could not help it, but kept staring at her upper lip and kept wondering: has she been stung by a bee? Is it really all natural? Or just a case of a bit too much sillicon or whatever they use to thicken lips with? I have managed to watch all 11 eps, but still wonder about the upper lip.
Her lips are signature. She wouldn't be Ishihara Satomi without those lips.

http://www.tokyohive.com/2012/02/oricon ... deal-lips/

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Sep 26th, '12, 12:39

Not gonna lie, I skipped through a lot of the last ep (eh... sorry but their romance wasn't anything special to me. I was more into everything else but really that.) As I mentioned before, I loved the whole atmosphere of the company, which kept me wanting more... if it wasn't for that, I... probably would've dropped it ^^; but I love their characters and their acting... I think Shun did an excellent job portraying his character, which may be one of my favs so far !! (I still like Tokyo DOGS, Stand Up and Uotazu though ^^;) but yeah, was nice to watch ^^

zweihander11
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by zweihander11 » Oct 1st, '12, 01:15

Very nice drama! Just finished watching :)

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Oct 18th, '12, 20:50

I just started this one today. Looks like it will be a seat-hanger so I might watch it "marathon" style :) So far its good not too too draggy.

sensei991
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sensei991 » Dec 26th, '12, 17:19

Rich Man, Poor Woman SP planned for Spring, 2013

http://www.tokyohive.com/2012/12/rich-m ... l-episode/

Perzona

Post by Perzona » Dec 31st, '12, 02:07

There's a track that I can't find on the OST.

It plays in episode 7, right at the beginning of the shareholder meeting in that small boardroom. It's really upbeat and amazing.

WHY WOULDN'T THEY PUT IT ON THE OST!

Moodilic

Post by Moodilic » Jan 4th, '13, 20:17

Anyone interested in a 1080p version?

tapnhan

Post by tapnhan » Jan 16th, '13, 06:12

Hi every one. So on January 25, Rich Man Poor Woman SP will finally be aired on Fuji TV. Since so many people are doing recap for drama and i just love this couple so much, i would like to do recap for the sp :D I've never done recap before but i'll try my best to bring you guys this wonderful episode as soon as possible. Hope you guys will support me :) Please visit my personal blog at www.vingle.net/tapnhan/?td for the recap :)

tseon

Post by tseon » Jan 16th, '13, 16:41

tapnhan wrote:Hi every one. So on January 25, Rich Man Poor Woman SP will finally be aired on Fuji TV. Since so many people are doing recap for drama and i just love this couple so much, i would like to do recap for the sp :D I've never done recap before but i'll try my best to bring you guys this wonderful episode as soon as possible. Hope you guys will support me :) Please visit my personal blog at www.vingle.net/tapnhan/?td for the recap :)
Wow, your blog is really cool, I have to follow now ;)

lilbubbled

Post by lilbubbled » Jan 19th, '13, 08:50

Moodilic wrote:Anyone interested in a 1080p version?
I AM! Please upload it!!!!! I loved this drama and absolutely adored Shun and Satomi as a couple. Hope they'll work together on more projects in the future. I can't wait for the SP episode, hope it will be subbed :)

kudalautnomat2

Post by kudalautnomat2 » Jan 26th, '13, 10:29

this dorama is my "comeback" into JDorama world, i've been absent for about two or three years :p

overall this dorama is pretty good, shun oguri play his part well enough, but personally i don't really like satomi ishihara, even though i' watched a lot of her dorama. lol.

Nessephanie

Post by Nessephanie » Mar 23rd, '13, 04:24

Perzona wrote:There's a track that I can't find on the OST.

It plays in episode 7, right at the beginning of the shareholder meeting in that small boardroom. It's really upbeat and amazing.

WHY WOULDN'T THEY PUT IT ON THE OST!
I know I'm 3 months late, but the song that plays during that part, is a song called Seeing Stars by Peter Tong. I'm guessing it wasn't put on the OST since it wasn't an original song done for the show, just one that they used. You can buy the mp3 on Amazon and Itunes :3

I just finished watching this drama, and I have to say it's probably my favorite that I've seen, I'm extremely excited for the SP that's supposed to air April 1st!

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Mar 29th, '13, 16:54

edit
Last edited by furransu on Mar 30th, '13, 02:40, edited 1 time in total.

anolibb
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by anolibb » Mar 29th, '13, 18:09

furransu wrote:Eric Paroissien will be subbing the special :)
Ah I am so sad, I would have loved to sub this SP~ :(

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Mar 30th, '13, 03:03

anolibb wrote:
furransu wrote:Eric Paroissien will be subbing the special :)
Ah I am so sad, I would have loved to sub this SP~ :(
Please go ahead :) EricParo was only providing a backup in case nobody picks it up.

anolibb
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by anolibb » Mar 30th, '13, 15:48

furransu wrote:
Please go ahead :) EricParo was only providing a backup in case nobody picks it up.
Will do! Cheers :cheers:

Jay D. LonelyWolf

Post by Jay D. LonelyWolf » Apr 1st, '13, 09:55

anolibb wrote:
furransu wrote:
Thank you!!!

midwinter

Post by midwinter » Apr 1st, '13, 13:34

anolibb wrote:
furransu wrote:
That's great news, thank you!!!

Geku gaijin

Post by Geku gaijin » Apr 1st, '13, 15:18

What did everyone think of the special. I thought there would be a lot more scenes in America. But still it was pretty good.

Romance

Post by Romance » Apr 5th, '13, 14:52

I found the special very lame, i mean, there was more or less no story at all... :scratch:

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Apr 7th, '13, 20:31

I can't argue with you if you thought it was lame..but there was a story..were you not watching? LOL!

Romance wrote:I found the special very lame, i mean, there was more or less no story at all... :scratch:

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Apr 7th, '13, 20:51

Just saw the special. No spoilers, but my thoughts. The special was good...but bitter sweet. I kind of felt that maybe it was best left not doing the special. The original drama left you with hope. The special pretty much confirm that they're a horrible couple and shouldn't be together. Yet that's what women love and they repeat the same mistakes with the men in their lives.

Then again, it does show the problems of relationships. If this drama was to last 10-30 years into the future, it would be filled with divorces, affairs, children problems, etc.

The special was still good....nothing worst than a good drama that gets f*cked with a bad special. I thought it was really too deep emotionally. Some lines you just can't cross and I think they crossed these lines...and they still want to be together??

You can see that the girl is the idiot here.And the ending with her name was really really really really really stupid. For me, I had situations where there is a problem with my name with the opposite sex and that alone kept me from going any further. I don't feel she's a real good role model here. I guess it plays to what women want though. The story about that girl at a disadvantage who falls for the rich guy that's a prick.

The great part is that the special was much more funnier than the drama. There was a little bit more focus on some other characters that was more positive, such as the former vice president and wonder wall guy. The new theme song my miwa is amazing. One of the greatest Japanese artists I heard in 2012.

And just to say, there is a little something with the chefs. The male chef is such a prick and p*ssy. He acts like he's a teenager.

I think for those who are new the the drama will enjoy all of it and have no judgement. If you watch it all back to back, it's overall great. If you watch the drama..and wait many months to see the special, it forces you to evaluate how f*ck up the situation is. My mind is blown if anybody thought they are a great couple.

Flaminco Girl

Post by Flaminco Girl » Apr 14th, '13, 04:04

I didn't really like the special. It seems like it would have been better if they just stuck with the drama and not have done anything else. The SP wasn't particularly interesting

billano79

Post by billano79 » Apr 14th, '13, 04:22

the SP was awesome & I love oguri shun :)

avieamber
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by avieamber » Apr 14th, '13, 04:59

I agree that the SP isn't that interesting, plus...when they said in New York, I was expecting them to film 90% of it in NY itself but turns out only 30% of it is in US. So different from Nodame Cantabile where they really shoot everything at Paris.

Anyways, I'm more excited about Miwa's new song! So gooood...I can't wait for the album to be released. Can't stop listening to it.

dodoraemon

Post by dodoraemon » Apr 14th, '13, 12:22

But a SP was needed. Most characters had no proper endings.

However, I have mixed feelings about this SP.

I mean, there was too much focus on the main couple and the other characters lacked in development.
Why Wonder Wall was as good as Next Innovation? And what were the differences? Which path did Yoko follow? And what did Hyuuga learn about the average people with families who worked for him? And, finally, Asahina. What was the push that put him back on track, that make him realize he was an equal to Hyuuga? And the HardDisk problem was not a real pinch. It should be something greater.
But in the end, this is the same Rich Man, Poor Woman. Awesome characters, an interesting plot, a lovely love story, but with a not so good balance between romance and moral conflicts. I didn't want something overexposed. Just something as dubious as Asahina was at the beginning of the dorama. And some greater answers. 4/5

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Apr 19th, '13, 03:40

This drama was so good! I finished it about an hour ago but it took me so many months to focus on it. It was definitely worth it. I thought it ended okay and doesn't really need a SP but anyhoo I guess it would be interesting to see what happens with
Asahina's sister and the restaurant owner. I can't see where there is anything else to add. Oh I forgot, maybe Hyuga's mom too?