4everU

Arang and the Magistrate (MBC, 2012)

Post by 4everU » May 25th, '12, 03:47

Title: 아랑사또전 / Arangsaddojeon
Also known as: Arang, Arang Magistrate Story, Arang: Magistrate’s Chronicle
Genre: Fantasy, period, mystery, comedy, romance, action, melodrama
Episodes: 20
Broadcast network: MBC
Broadcast period: 2012-Aug-15 to 2012-???-??
Air time: Wednesday & Thursday 21:55

Synopsis

Arang and the Magistrate:

An adventurous fantasy mellow historical of Ah-rang a single ghost with ataxia who wants to know how she died and a bad tempered district magistrate who can see ghosts.

Not sure if you guys know that Lee jun ki has been released from the army and is going to come back with a Drama in July Opposite and beautiful Shin Min Ah! So i wanted to start a page for it before it airs. I would like to know what you guys think and if you are interested in seeing it?
:lol
Attachments
arangcouple.jpg
arangcouple.jpg (47.07 KiB) Viewed 5121 times

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 25th, '12, 07:25

Not sure if you know how to make a proper discussion thread. Please, correct.

4everU

Post by 4everU » Jun 12th, '12, 22:08

Ethlenn wrote:Not sure if you know how to make a proper discussion thread. Please, correct.
Lol. I don't know what's exactly the right way to make a discussion thread

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 17th, '12, 15:24

Looking at any given discussion thread would do, you know. Don't worry, I filled necessary informations.

4everU

Post by 4everU » Aug 3rd, '12, 19:36

Thank you for fixing it. It was my first time making a thread for a drama I just randomly made it thinking it was correct as long as I just give the name and some info.

mezoomozaa

Post by mezoomozaa » Aug 12th, '12, 11:36

Can't wait for Miho new drama <3

Jazzapple

Post by Jazzapple » Aug 14th, '12, 12:43

If it won't be overly dramatic and if there won't be over excessive crying, I'll probably watch it.
But the story doesn't really interest me, so we'll see.

dina_nada

Post by dina_nada » Sep 19th, '12, 16:12

Why this thread is inactive :unsure: this drama is sooo good :thumleft:

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 19th, '12, 21:47

dina_nada wrote:Why this thread is inactive :unsure: this drama is sooo good :thumleft:
well, you can start posting here from now on dina :whistling:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 19th, '12, 21:51

I will refuse to come out as the person watching and enjoying this drama.
But hell I do!! :twisted:

dina_nada

Post by dina_nada » Sep 20th, '12, 00:06

Okay...help me here people, i'm a lazy person to post my thoughts :P, i always like to read what other people have in mind :roll
anyways...I'm scared of this botox lady not because of her being scary in here but I've seen her before in "can you hear my heart" and I was thinking the same :crazy:
and I like the psycho kid Joo Wal (maybe he's not psycho but his actions is...i don't know :unsure: I like these kind of roles where you see a pretty face with a twisted mind :mrgreen:
and I love Dol sae with him being overly protective to his Toranneem :mrgreen:
and his affection towards the shaman (I love them both him and the shaman)
as for Arang herself... well Shin Min Ah is a very good actress i like her but nothing new here after my girlfriend is a gumiho (which i didn't like it much) :fear:
And finally the Magistrate himself :party: I'm not a crazy fan girl or anything but i really find Lee Jun Ki a terrific actor :clap: I like him in these kind of dramas (sageuk dramas)
Ok, I'm finished here :sweat:

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 20th, '12, 01:56

glad to read from you again dina, It's been really long time.
now to Arang
this drama is visually stunning. all those colours, sceneries and special effects came together in very harmonious way and makes it so beautiful. even the way the names appear and disappear on the beginning, has an elements of spookiness in them.I like this drama because of its spooky, ghostly and dark theme.

as perfect as they have shown everything on earth, unfortunately heaven scenes lack for me. It's build up too cliche for my taste. too many flowers, the sheep with flowers growing on its back, the maiden and two gods. sorry girls but they are not very convincing enough for me...but they do add a comic relief to over all story though...
I do remember Chinese wuxia movies and dramas when I see those heaven scenes...well, I guess it's only normal looking at how Jdramas have Kdrama themes these days so no wonder Kdramas starting to have Cdrama vibes...
:whistling:
I think LJK is going a great job as the magistrate in here. him and SMA. they do have lots of chemistry and their moments togther are so cute and adorable and so romantic.
I am impressed with LJK's character in here which is apposite to what I think about his acting in Iljimae (I managed to watch that for PSH's character's sake believe it or not). he has matured into much better actor now and I see that army done him good.he does not look as girly as he used to :P

I always giggle whenever DS calls Arang, gumiho which is surprising considering these two dramas are made in two different tv companies.
The botox mommy is so creepy. she scares the hell out of me everytime she is angry. I can't believe our sato (is this even a right spelling?) is her son.
and I have to say that this is my first time falling in love with a grim reaper. :wub:

but what kills me from laughter in this drama is every scenes to do with DS and shaman girl and their romance...they are just priceless...

I'm hoping for more answers though. so far with 10eps, nothing has been explained much. all the mysteries are still mysteries. they only give a little hints in every ep but they leave them just like that. there are some strong eps which unfortunately followed up with a slow one.

that's from me for now,I think I should go back to sleep :sleeping:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 20th, '12, 08:12

dina_nada wrote: and I love Dol sae with him being overly protective to his Toranneem
It's 도련님 "doryeon nim" :salut:

And it's "satto" not "sato" (wich means Confucian morality, mehehe).
Issy wrote: Jdramas have Kdrama themes these days so no wonder Kdramas starting to have Cdrama vibes...
I see some witch-hunt coming your way, love...

So far, this drama doesn't disappoint me. As for the Heaven, isn't it the exact image of peace, harmony, lambs and flowers that usual people have in mind and theology of all religions teaches us? In every heaven we have maidens serving those who are there, flowers, gentle waterfalls, and all this. It's saccharine, I know, but I don't expect this drama to revolutionize the imagery of heaven. Afterall no one came back to tell how it looks like.

Issy, you watched Iljimae for... PSH's character??? O.o...
I agree with you, Junki is not as ADHD and all over the place like in his previous works, so it's even nice to watch him, fighting scenes are well done.

And Joo Wal is a really messed up kid. Like, REALLY messed up kid.

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 20th, '12, 13:40

so I guess I should be on the run. well, I can;t help feeling like this. since "Romantic dramas" are only Korean dramas and now that I'm watching two fantasy dramas with flying worriors and sword fighting in mid air and gods with long hair....where you only see similar ones in Chinese wuxia...ahem :whistling:
:mrgreen:

what I mean about heaven is to do with context of AATM scenes itself. I feel it's too cheap and too tacky comparing with other really well made scenes...you can see the difference in quality.. but whenever they are on those floating islands...it's really good

JW really is a messed up kid. I do feel sorry for him. specially that he sound like mah baby InTamra Island. I don't why I get this feeling but I do :P
It seems that this week we will get some answers ...finally!

ps, and yes! since LJK was hard to concentrate on, I was paying all my attention to PSH's character. I know! it's hard to believe.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 20th, '12, 15:49

Issy wrote: what I mean about heaven is to do with context of AATM scenes itself. I feel it's too cheap and too tacky comparing with other really well made scenes...you can see the difference in quality.. but whenever they are on those floating islands...it's really good
Ah... but you know, this pervi nuna is not actually focusing on rocks and flowers in those scenes so they don't bother me, ekhem... :whistling:

dina_nada

Post by dina_nada » Sep 20th, '12, 21:59

Issy wrote:
as perfect as they have shown everything on earth, unfortunately heaven scenes lack for me.
I do think so too, the only scene I liked in the other world scenes was
when king of underworld got angry when he lost his grim reapers and sat on his throne and those people who were climbing the high stairs probably to hell
and hey Issy what do you have against LJK in iljimae :blink you can say all you want against him in my girl but iljimae !!! and i know you were beginning to like PSH in iljimae but hated him because of me...my mistake :P

Issy wrote:
I'm hoping for more answers though. so far with 10eps, nothing has been explained much. all the mysteries are still mysteries. they only give a little hints in every ep
the fact that there is still many unsolved mysteries is what attracts me the most in this drama :scratch: i just hope it won't get solved in the 20th ep. :glare: I would like if the drama lasts at least 24 ep. not 28 (like Bridal Mask :x )
Ethlenn wrote:
dina_nada wrote:

and I love Dol sae with him being overly protective to his Toranneem
It'sIt's 도련님 "doryeon nim"; "doryeon nim" :salut:
you have to excuse me... I have a bad ear :sweat: maybe you'll read even weirder words from me later :P

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 20th, '12, 22:12

dina_nada wrote: you have to excuse me... I have a bad ear :sweat: maybe you'll read even weirder words from me later :P
And I have a really bad habit of showing the correction, unfortunately... :whistling:

So, Issy was about to like PSH?? Now THAT's what I call the revelation!! I will keep it up my sleeve then...

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 20th, '12, 22:16

dina_nada wrote:Issy wrote:
as perfect as they have shown everything on earth, unfortunately heaven scenes lack for me.
I do think so too, the only scene I liked in the other world scenes was
when king of underworld got angry when he lost his grim reapers and sat on his throne and those people who were climbing the high stairs probably to hell
Glad someone is agreeing with me on this. but true! That scene really gave me goosebumps...it was so scary

dina_nada wrote:and hey Issy what do you have against LJK in iljimae :blink you can say all you want against him in my girl but iljimae !!! and i know you were beginning to like PSH in iljimae but hated him because of me...my mistake :P
where do you want me to start? I really loved JIW in Return of Iljimae but LJK in Iljimae?:glare: but yeah, me having allergic reaction to PSH is all your fault. :glare:

You need some answers half way through any drama so you won't feel bored and make you more interested. :P

on other notes
I'm really hooked on this song. together with those fightings, they just make awesome scenes! oh, and look, here is Han Jong Soo as grim reaper :wub:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FpWnm-XkTKE" frameborder="0"></iframe>

dina_nada

Post by dina_nada » Sep 20th, '12, 23:01

Ethlenn wrote:
And I have a really bad habit of showing the correction, unfortunately... :whistling:
that's fine by me i don't mind this :D

Issy wrote
You need some answers half way through any drama so you won't feel bored and make you more interested. :P
as long as it's a small hint to solve a mystery, that would make me more attached to the drama than knowing how it will end...well, that's me thinking :unsure:

As for the hotties grim reapers, they are too grey for me :mrgreen:
I'll go for the messed up kid :crazy: :mrgreen:
Issy I know that MC Sniper is your favorit since Chuno :D

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Sep 21st, '12, 13:20

prediction:
if it was CSI:
LJK mother is responsible for Arang death as clue (pin) indicates (why she would have it if not becouse of belonging to murderer? or someone who directed murder?), more so that more and more hints point this way.. I am on 5th, I can change mind but for 2 episodes nothing indicates other solution, still do not know why exactly, plan seems complicated as spiritual world is involved.. I love crime dramas :wub:
let`s wait for last episode

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 21st, '12, 19:21

Somehow I feel
uri Magistrate will die too and he and Arang will meet in Heaven. Since he's someone who has a debt with heavenly Yoo... I mean Jade Emperor
:alcoholic:
A week... a week...

dina_nada

Post by dina_nada » Sep 21st, '12, 20:58

Ethlenn wrote
uri Magistrate will die too and he and Arang will meet in Heaven. Since he's someone who has a debt with heavenly Yoo... I mean Jade Emperor
I thought so too since Arang is already a dead person and how their relation would be :unsure:
considering this
then what the magistrate will be in the other world ?!! a normal person went to heaven or will he become a grim reaper ?, just a thought :scratch:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 21st, '12, 21:10

dina_nada wrote: considering this
then what the magistrate will be in the other world ?!! a normal person went to heaven or will he become a grim reaper ?, just a thought :scratch:
I was thinking along "a fair maiden" since they're already one short in Heaven.
On a serious note:
Arang was promised to go to Heaven if she solves the mystery around her death. So if Magistrate dies, he may go to Heaven as well, as a usual departed spirit, and they can do what usual souls in heaven do...pick up the flowers, hold hands, I dunno
However, I started to have my doubts
regarding the very nature of uri Magistrate. What if he's the same as Arang? He has the fan given by Heavenly God, also he was given life. He was so sick he probably died or was on the verge of dying. What if he died as a kid, and God Yoo just kind of resurrected him like they did with Arang? Also, he sees ghosts, and this is not usual folks do on a daily basis.
And they left us heartbroken for entire week. Then, I spoiled.

dina_nada

Post by dina_nada » Sep 21st, '12, 21:32

I haven't watched ep. 11 and 12 yet but I was thinking what is the reason Arang and the magistrate met
not because she's a ghost and he can see ghosts, and after this we find that magistrate's evil mother is the reason that Arang died, now I'm thinking that there is a connection between this evil mother and Arang's father, is he the one that this evil mother was cussing when her son was a child :unsure:
Last edited by dina_nada on Sep 21st, '12, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 21st, '12, 21:42

dina_nada wrote:I haven't watched ep. 11 and 12 yet but I was thinking what is the reason Arang and the magistrate met
not because she's a ghost and he can see ghosts, and after this we find that magistrate's evil mother is the reason that Arang died, now I'm thinking that there is a connection between this evil mother and Arang's father, is he the one that this evil mother was cussing when her son was a child :unsure:
No, from ep 11
it's known she's been cussing Nobleman Choi. He was passing by and she almost crushed a pillar she was standing by.
As for the reason they met, I still support my own theory it's all happening because of God Yoo's plan.
They knew about that Moo Yeon who was banished from heavens and then changed to demon (evil mother), possessing human bodies. And since Arang was killed by her (or by poor psychotic lad), AND God Yoo already set up Magistrate into everything... all falls nicely into plan. Some plan at least. :unsure:
I think God Yoo's plan is broader than it seems...

dina_nada

Post by dina_nada » Sep 21st, '12, 21:58

That is why i like reading d-addicts discussions, it broadens my mind :mrgreen:
did the psychotic kid kill Arang three years ago ?!! so why did he forget her is it because of all the girls he killed since then, so why is he starting to have feelings for her!! but again he probably killed her as she "Aranag" felt her heart or chest hurts when she saw him

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 21st, '12, 22:01

I need to organize my thoughts and write some incoherent post about it tomorrow.
But to aswer that
I think it was our maknae psycho who killed her, since evil mother said once he's been providing her with young girls. Since he didn't see his fiancee's face then, he couldn't recognize her now.

dina_nada

Post by dina_nada » Sep 21st, '12, 22:23

so is this psychotic kid doesn't look at his prey's face, he just goes for the killing process...he is REALLY REALLY a messed up kid as you said :crazy:

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 21st, '12, 23:30

While you guys discussing the possibilities, I just leave this here quietly and go
:wub:

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Sep 24th, '12, 02:42

I can't decide on Magistarte future:
- he is not as Arang - he would be discovered already (as being cold, etc..)
- he obviously live on loan from Jade Emperor as Ripper was present
- he is his agent of sort (fan, training)
- if he die can be ripper but will he?
- romance not always need to have "happy end"
I am confused

with this kill it is not so easy, as he should recognize victim and she is total stranger to him, And she would not be buried sepatately. Sill I think mother is involved (and this is so elegant solution.. please, please, let her be involved). She wanted to punish whatitsname family of this "disturbed" guy so she strike some deal? If Arang just escaped and bleed to death still she could not buried herself.
so many possibilities :P

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 24th, '12, 06:08

:O
how did I not think about this? The evil mom, could be involved in this too. She is waiting for any opportunity to have her revenge from old Choi guy so she would have easily killed LSR as part of her revenge.
Aaaargh! Eun Oh mom is So evil. I just can't think of a reason on why EO's dad have chosen her. I can't believe somone is so consumed with getting their revenge that let their own flesh and blood die like this.
But yeah, EO is not like Arang. He grew up after being dead and brought back to life ...
Somehow I see that Moo Yeon will have Arang's body near the end and it would be our magistrate's fight with her. As she doesn't need her soul but only body, there might be even two sides in her

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 24th, '12, 07:11

No, no, by "being the same" I didn't mean he's the ghost either, I never said that. It simply means he "experiences the same ontological status" as Arang.

You know people who claim nowadays they "saw the light at the end of tunnel" and had clinical death? Their heart stopped and docs pronounced them dead but their heartbeat returned, right? So some people say that they can communicate with ghosts etc.
From the methodological point of view they live between worlds, sharing both aspects.
This is what I meant, and I think uri Magistrate is someone along this.

dina_nada

Post by dina_nada » Sep 24th, '12, 07:16

just wondering :unsure:
could it be possible that EO mother's body is being possessed by Moo Yeon as far as we know MY needs a human body to escape from the eyes of other world's kings :scratch:
back to work :sweat:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 24th, '12, 07:29

dina_nada wrote:just wondering :unsure:
could it be possible that EO mother's body is being possessed by Moo Yeon as far as we know MY needs a human body to escape from the eyes of other world's kings :scratch:
This is exactly what I wrote. I think that too.

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 24th, '12, 08:40

Ethlenn wrote:
dina_nada wrote:just wondering :unsure:
This is exactly what I wrote. I think that too.
I thought about that too
because I can't believe a mother neglects her child and be cruel to him like this. But also thought that it was obvious that she hated that guy so badly on that time. If it wasn't her, she had no reason for all that hate. Plus, MY probably needs more than one body as she can't stay in one for long as it will make others suspecious. I think MY got the mom's body when she was attempting her revenge and that's how Choi has to serve her because she saved him....
And E-Chan, I konw what you meant dear. That's what I am implying too but I wasn't replying to your post when I said they are not the same. they are the same in terms of both not normal human beings. I was just thinking loud counting all reason hon. We keep misundersting each other on forums for some reasons :scratch:
:mrgreen:

Btw, subs have been out for days. Do we still have to use spoiler tags?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 24th, '12, 11:08

No hon, I'm just lazy, and I wanted to clarify my point of view, was replying to moadeep, but I didn't quote, my bad.

Yeah, forget the spoiler tags.
Well, there are a lot of possibilities why Magistrate's mother became Choi's wife and possessed by MY. Maybe eps 13&14 will clarify this more, because right now, few theories are running through my head and none makes more sense than the previous one, kkk.

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 24th, '12, 11:41

EO's mom became Choi's wife in some point? I didn't know that. I remember JW or someone else said that his wife died because of "MY in disguise" but I didn't know it was the mom. :scratch:

And I am bit curious about MY. So she does not always feed on virgin girls souls (even though I clearly remember that she wanted Arang for her unique soul in early eps but now changed to her body). You would think EO's mom would be the last choice to be chosen for her body specially as a gisaenge. Not being evil here. Just stating some facts...

And I wonder if Lim Ju Eun will appear more (viki has her as cameo in ep 11 only but we know that can't trusted much) in next eps. She was so pretty and scary in that few second she was on. I want to see more of her story on why she was expelled from heaven.

Please don't kill me for saying this but I do believe they do waste times here too. Some of conversations and scenes are unnecessarly long. We have 8 more eps (maybe they have extension?) Left. We have Arang story, Satto's story and his mom, MY story and her reasons behind all of her evil deeds, Choi oldie and the messed up kid ending so I wonder if all can be answered well in just 8eps if they continue with present pace.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 24th, '12, 13:01

Yeah, sure, they wasted looots of time here too, I agree :mrgreen:

About EO's mother and Choi's wife - it's the same actress, so I assume it's also the same "body vessel". MY, in my opinion, uses that kind of body that suits her needs at a certain moment. Perhaps it was time when EO's mother was lost ie. in woods or sth. , and she fell prey to MY unknowingly? EO said his Mother came here and suddenly she disappeared. So, after EO's mother was possessed by MY, she became attractive to Choi and he married her. Or maybe there was some deal, or threatening. He's sick, so maybe she knew about this and cured him (with her demoniac powers) holding him in her grasp. To blackmail him further.

Now she wants Arang, cause the older body ceased to fulfill her purpose?

And she's not gisaeng. The wig points out the first, maybe main wife, and the clothes are clearly shamanistic. This makes her so interesting, she always wears not yangban wife's clothes but those of mudang.
(there are more than 50 kinds of shaman robes in Korea, btw.)

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 24th, '12, 18:59

Ethlenn,
Just wondering...is shamanism popular in Korea. Is it an OK thing with people generally and also the government.

Have only seen small scenes with real shamans on documentary at times. they certainly do strange kinds of acrobatics. Is that to gather people around or part of the training from the start. I find this very interesting. It open the public up to what is happening much more than gazing into a crystal.
That is a focussing point like a candle. The rope walking is different.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 24th, '12, 19:04

Peggy: the shamanism is very, very popular in Korea now. Last decade is even called "the renaissance of korean shamanism", I should have few interesting articles on this from magazines, if you want, so I can send you. It has connections to siberian shamanism in some way.

Lately government of S. Korea funds some rites (gut) even, to preserve the cultural heritage and some shamanistic dances like salpuri are on UNESCO list even.
In N. Korea shamanism was wiped out, only some remnants survived, but officially - no shamanism.

gilnis
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gilnis » Sep 24th, '12, 19:16

Ethlenn wrote:And Joo Wal is a really messed up kid. Like, REALLY messed up kid.
Maybe it's weird but I really like that messed up kid. He's interesting. I wonder if he would join forces with Eun Oh to destroy that creepy woman or at least to try to protect Arang or his jealousy makes him feel hate for Eun Oh and they become enemies. Does he live in fear and trembling sooo much that he'd rather keep being a puppet?

dina_nada

Post by dina_nada » Sep 25th, '12, 12:18

Issy wrote:
I'm really hooked on this song. together with those fightings, they just make awesome scenes! oh, and look, here is Han Jong Soo as grim reaper :wub:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FpWnm-XkTKE" frameborder="0"></iframe>
WOW I just read the lyrics, it so deep and agonizing :cry:

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Sep 25th, '12, 16:41

possesed for sure but question is before or after Arang death? One thing is strange - she apparently had two lives as we see her with young magistrate and young master at the same time (they shoud be simmilar age) and still with magistrate 3 years ago. Thats mean she did not hide herself at that time. Was there any indication how long ago Choi familly was sent to that villige? Longer then 3 years for sure and of course they could visit but with this lady being hidden not so easy. This means too that posession had to happen sometimes between magistrate death and resurection and seeing young Young master kill first time (still a child) and it mess with theory of possesing only 3 years before.... uh something does not match here.
another question: does posessing mean that soul is eaten as well or in this case soul is just forced out but not eaten? may mother be in one of jars? she can wait for her time of revange on Choi as part of deal.
Still question remains who buried Arang and why? How her soul escaped (I suppose harpin is some kind of weapon/talisman maybe not only simple indicator of connection and escalator of events)
btw totally romantic and unrealistic end - I do not understand Korean but did they really agreed with her heaven request? She has body, soul what is missing is just for her heart to live - so could be wish of JE for her to live? Not likely but after MGIG I lost my faith in logic and elegance in endings so maybe? In Jdrama it would be impossible but here..
do we not use spoilers anymore?

one more thing it is said that she was with Choi (as controling him and using him to feed her I assume) when he was young, both magistrate and Young Master of Choi are twenty something so around 15 years ago she was there as the boy has less then 10 years when she teach him to kill for her (in noble robe already for him). I doubt he is her son but is he Choi? Or he is second son of magistrate mother (so younger then magistrate?) but it means she was with number of man (she was slave at some point so could be). Or he is son of another wessel still with Choi?
Anyway Choi older seems forced to accept child Young Master (child of slave? not even his child just choosen by this women to be next to feed her?)
What confuse me is that Choi has profit from relation with her (cure to his sicknes in regular dosees) so where is revange part - still to come (waiting in jar as stated ealier?)

disturbed kid is here for status and money (understandable after watching his early days) so question is if he is willing to risc it. Funny that nobody is questioning his status as it should be simmilar to magistrate even if Choi married his mother at some point (or that was enough even if he was born as slave son? what was low then?)

8 episodes and more questions then answers, I should wait for end to watch it... even if this speculation is fun :lol

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 25th, '12, 17:56

Ok I need some distractions

@Ethlenn
Oh, so it's not gisaenge clothing? It's looks similar to my simple eyes and the hair was very misleading too.

But, if they used the same actress for EO's mom and Choi's wife and if supposedly EO's mom married Choi to take revenge on him, then why JW reminds the old guy not to annoy the madame much and he should remember what happened to his wife? And wouldn't he wonder why they both look alike? Unless they see her with different look than us.

@Dina
Yeah, That's why I liked the song

@shiofmedea
You got an interesting theory about JW and satto. Could they be brothers? But I just can't get my head around on how??? Yes, years don't match, EO's mom only disappeared few years ago when he was in his 20s but she found and adopted JW when he was a kid and you can see no much age gap between two men. So when Satto asked his mom if he can stay with her before her disappearance, was she possessed already?
:scratch:
They need to start giving us some answers and create less questions.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Sep 25th, '12, 20:30

she can't be wife, she stays hidden so she is not officialy there and if she was wife there will be no need for that. I just wander why she hiddes? She can't go out in day? How often is this special moon, for sure not every month as it will too many deaths to hide?
I doubt they are blood brothers even if she call him son. She rather choose him as easy victim to brainwash to murderer. I just put it in speculation to try organize time line and possible relations. Even if LJK was taken as child to his father he would know about brother for sure. And she (mother) was so obsesed with revange and not in cold calculating kind of attitude that having child with Choi will be rather impossible.
btw they said souleater woman is down for 400 years so could be Choi familly in relationship with her for generations? They do not work fast in heavens, don't they? :glare:

ha, I rechecked first episode - she was not posesed when she left LJK, too many emotions, so time line is wrong or LJK looks veeery young for his drama age and JW looks very old. Even if during this point he was like 17 (sorry, he does not looks like that) and JW is 17 (hm... even less) and JW boy was like 10 max in his first scene with her + 3 years as she disapeared (she could not be posesssed before, sorry, no logic in it) we missed like 4years min to JW youngest age possible and Magistrate is 34 or older and it's only if JW was just found and kind of adopted. I hope there is better explanation or I will be very disapointed... or I missed something.
In the end I suppose they just thought they will confuse us if they choose another actor to play the scene with child and not counted on obsessed people to analyze it too much. :lol

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Sep 25th, '12, 20:37

uuh, sorry she went out, so one more question to my list.

jackieb

Post by jackieb » Sep 26th, '12, 01:58

I agree with Ethlenn, Sato and Arang are the same type of being. The only difference between them is Arang knew she was dead. Sato was never aware he was dead.

Eunho's mother is possessed. In a much earlier episode, the veins in her forehead are moving like a snake. It is very settle movement. I had to rewind it a couple of times because I thought I was seeing things. In the scene, she is crying and cursing the people who killed her entire family. She wanted revenge on the murderers.

EO and JW are not biological brothers. JW was an abandoned orphan when EO's possessed mother found him.

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 26th, '12, 05:46

jackieb wrote:I agree with Ethlenn, Sato and Arang are the same type of being. The only difference between them is Arang knew she was dead. Sato was never aware he was dead.

Eunho's mother is possessed. In a much earlier episode, the veins in her forehead are moving like a snake. It is very settle movement. I had to rewind it a couple of times because I thought I was seeing things. In the scene, she is crying and cursing the people who killed her entire family. She wanted revenge on the murderers.

EO and JW are not biological brothers. JW was an abandoned orphan when EO's possessed mother found him.

I think no one disagreed with Ethlenn in saying that Arang and satto are the same! We said it all way long that they both died and brought back to life by JE. But you also can't deny the fact they are different in their new lives. Satto can't heal as fast as Arang and I'm not even sure what happens if he dies again. Would he just not die and keep coming back to life like Arang? Or that would be the end of him? He does get hurt like normal people. But one thing for sure, EO came back to life as normal person (in terms of growing up ...) with extra powers but Arang came back as walking talking corpse more or less.

None of points we have discussed in earlier posts are 100% . We are just thinking of possibilities.

jackieb

Post by jackieb » Sep 26th, '12, 21:13

Issy wrote:
jackieb wrote:I agree with Ethlenn, Sato and Arang are the same type of being. The only difference between them is Arang knew she was dead. Sato was never aware he was dead.

I think no one disagreed with Ethlenn in saying that Arang and satto are the same! We said it all way long that they both died and brought back to life by JE. But you also can't deny the fact they are different in their new lives. Satto can't heal as fast as Arang and I'm not even sure what happens if he dies again. Would he just not die and keep coming back to life like Arang? Or that would be the end of him? He does get hurt like normal people. But one thing for sure, EO came back to life as normal person (in terms of growing up ...) with extra powers but Arang came back as walking talking corpse more or less.

None of points we have discussed in earlier posts are 100% . We are just thinking of possibilities.
IMO, the reason why Sato can't heal as fast is he doesn't know he is ghost-human. Even if Sato could heal as fast as Arang, he might have suppressed those abilities. Sato was teased and bullied when he was younger. So anything that made him stand out he hid.

If Sato dies, I think he will be a demi-god. If he doesn't die, he would be like a mythical being. The protector for the living and the dead.

It would have been heartless for JE to let EO stay a child forever. He had to let him grow up. If he becomes aware of his true potential , his powers will surpassed everyone.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 26th, '12, 22:28

jackieb wrote: he doesn't know he is ghost-human. Even if Sato could heal as fast as Arang, he might have suppressed those abilities. Sato was teased and bullied when he was younger. So anything that made him stand out he hid.

If Sato dies, I think he will be a demi-god. If he doesn't die, he would be like a mythical being. The protector for the living and the dead.

It would have been heartless for JE to let EO stay a child forever. He had to let him grow up. If he becomes aware of his true potential , his powers will surpassed everyone.
Now when I read this, one book (rather series) came to mind: Ender's Game. There are some similarities here and there... :blink Especially with what happened to him next, after the war...

ahireasu
Greece

Post by ahireasu » Sep 27th, '12, 09:49

For me arang and the magistrate are not the same,it is true the magistrate did die when he was a kid and JE brought him back to life but, it was before his soul leave his body while in arang she died became a wandering ghost for 3 years and then was given a new body where the heart is dead as they say and her organs are fresh like of a new born baby.
The reason her organ is like that is of course because the body even thou is of a grown up it is a new born,(the healing is because she is an immortal being).
The magistrate can see the dead because he died too and now lives in "borrowed time" my guess is to perform the task JE has in mind for him,when he does it is up to JE if he will terminate his life on the world of the living or he will spare him and let him live a full life.
I think when arang will go to heaven so he will(the magistrate) unless since the JE is such a prankster will just let them both live a normal life as a gift.
So in the end for me Arang is an immortal being while the Magistrate is not.

dina_nada

Post by dina_nada » Sep 27th, '12, 11:52

somehow i find it strange to know veeeery little about EO and LSR's fathers :unsure:
i think those two linked to all the mysteries (maybe..maybe not :unsure: )
later with more speculations :crazy:

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 27th, '12, 12:04

dina_nada wrote:somehow i find it strange to know veeeery little about EO and LSR's fathers :unsure:
I think we know enough about two fathers concerning the storyline. EO father was a great and high ranking official who did not care about EO being his illegitimate child with a slave and put his name in his family register.
As for LSR father, all we need to know that he was the magistrate at one time (well 3 years ago) and he passed away.

Do we really need to know more? :P

so someone decided to cheer me up today and make me an Arang MV EXACTLY the way I want!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lW6XexZiHbc" frameborder="0"></iframe>

jackieb

Post by jackieb » Sep 27th, '12, 16:21

dina_nada wrote:somehow i find it strange to know veeeery little about EO and LSR's fathers :unsure:
I also think their fathers hold the key to these mysteries.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Sep 28th, '12, 12:26

I do not think it is any indication in story line that we need to know more about any parent. Apparently except being connected with SouldEater (Chois), high official with sense of responsibility (Magistrate's father), just official (Arang's father) and revange obsessed woman there is not much more to add to fit with what is happening. We still wait to find how exactly possesion happened and what is this wrong happened thing with Arang (and why exactly we heard that marriage was canceled when in diary it was not info about it).- here I guess pin has something to do if she remember to pulling it out from someone hairs. Could it teleport her soul outside the pawilon protected space?
btw if mother spirit is still inside it mean that we were right about concract of some kind. Was the contract made becouse of this wrong happening (she needed body to transfer to)? Or before?
Seems that even if fan belongs to heaven, Magistrate was trained by underworld and should we take their farewell as indicator that Magistrate will die at the end? And will be Ripper?
The question is he will kill his mother or ther will be less logical but more hmm.. nice to be polite.. way to chase SoulEater from her (pin once again - which makes nice weapon so I am all for killing his mother with it.. I can see her agree even ask for it but what about revange then?)
I need to rethink it a bit, how many more episodes? Still I do not understand why nobody wander about Young Master relation with his so called father..
one book (rather series) came to mind: Ender's Game. There are some similarities here and there
Mostly becouse they both play game they are not aware of true meaning to be .. but Ender spoiled the game at the end (in sense of game itself not end results) and I do not think here we will see such big turn of events. Gods needed help with the mess they created, they use humans to clean it, humans will be happy if there will be any reward for it not more work in future or "you good job - heaven, you - doing well, go on, boy, go on' :lol

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 28th, '12, 16:22

Nah, it's completely different thing I had in mind when referring to Ender. He had to supress his "gift" when he was a kid because once he fought with another boy and kicked off his head.
The same situation with uri Magistrate, Dol Swe said it clearly that there were rumors about boy's weird behavior, so EO hid his talent to see ghosts.

Anyway, I believe MY can enter only a dead body, so EO's mother is probably dead.

Arang's marriage was cancelled because of the rumor she run away with a servant boy (or someone like that) if I remember right, it was in first episodes.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Sep 29th, '12, 23:13

was it not said in last episode by Choi older that he spread rumor of her escape to cover her disaperance and cancelation took place before? Maybe my translation was bad..?
I am not sure about dead thing, Mother soul is trying push SoulEater woman away and she herself said to her to be patient a bit longer. You would not say it to dead person, I think (ok, maybe if you promised her revange..) and .. it would be more dramatic if she was alive and needed to be killed to win over souleater spirit :whistling:

Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 1st, '12, 21:39

shiofmedea wrote:was it not said in last episode by Choi older that he spread rumor of her escape to cover her disaperance and cancelation took place before? Maybe my translation was bad..?
I am not sure about dead thing, Mother soul is trying push SoulEater woman away and she herself said to her to be patient a bit longer. You would not say it to dead person, I think (ok, maybe if you promised her revange..) and .. it would be more dramatic if she was alive and needed to be killed to win over souleater spirit :whistling:
yes, he did! he spread the rumour because JW stabbed LSR and something went wrong that MY could not eat her soul. I wonder what actually went wrong back then? It's something to do with EO's mother because Arang had hair pin with her.

I feel like EO's mom came to help LSR when JW brought her for MY to feed on and there where she possed her body (therefore her hair pin was left in that small house) and LSR soul escaped as Arang

and I never knew (well, from my years of knowledge on ghosts/spirits/grim reaper... :whistling:) that MY can posses any body with their soul still intact and not dead. or is she dead but the soul could not escape ...

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Oct 4th, '12, 20:49

ha! I was right, I was right, I was right! :party: :party:
Ok I did not think of such turn of events but still I was right! Going to party :alcoholic:

Lludara

Post by Lludara » Oct 10th, '12, 01:27

Just got done with episode 16...
Somehow, i think the key to all of this is Sato figuring out how to get his mothers body back (intact with her soul) while the woman tries to transfer to Arang's body, or letting her transfer to Arang's body and letting MY kill her.... Because heavenly beings can't touch her as a human, and only he can kill her as a heavenly body... And of course, him reminiscing in ep 16 that he should've killed her with his own hands...

I'm really hoping the king jade rewards them as a life together as humans after everything is said and done..

I mean hell, we need at least one good kiss..amirite?!
And I have to say..loving Lee Jun ki here. I saw him in my girl and the hair drove me up the wall..I'm very much enjoying him in this role.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Oct 10th, '12, 20:34

LJK improved a lot from those times.. but I do not discuss him as he has my undying love from my first ever Kdrama Time beteen Wolf and Dog and such sentiments are hard to overcome.
I kind of drop my interest a bit since last week revelations but still watching.. unfortunately this one need subtitles to follow not intuition + very, very basic Korean, so to tomorrow

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 10th, '12, 21:29

I don't think Junki had such an avid hater as me on this forum... yet I'm enjoying his performance and Arang... as a whole so damn much!!
None of his previous work...well, worked for me, TBDAW was unbearable so I dropped, Hero was a mess, in My Girl he was kid with ADHD, I puked watching movie "Hatsuyuki no Koi"... (on the other hand, why I watched it??).
Haven't seen (or even dl-ed) ep 17, waiting patiently for beloved Ernie release^^

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Oct 10th, '12, 21:55

I did not say he was good, I just have this sentiment that nothing can kill :lol
Still he was always fun to watch and I liked TBWD (if I did not I would not be here today) Hated the girl but liked the show in 1/3 when LJK was bad guy.
But I respect other people taste, so no hard feelings. We have anyway other guy in common if I remember discussions on QoR well :wink:

Lludara

Post by Lludara » Oct 10th, '12, 23:32

Oh..i wouldn't say he was good in My Girl...He was...palatable - it's just his hair drove me crazy.

And yes, I think Ethlenn put it best. I'm really enjoying this drama so damn much lol. And to think I actually thought it was kinda.. 'meh' the first 6 episodes. (Yeah...this took me 6 episodes to get into, basically, when she came back as 'human' i started enjoying it). I read a few people elsewhere saying they've lost interest in it..to me, it's just reaching it's good point at ep 16.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 10th, '12, 23:45

Weird thing, all I know here or elsewhere, hates LDH, and guys always say: "you're just jealous of her", yeah, like I can be jealous of a plastic bag. Oops, did I hurt anyone's feelings?
Oh..i wouldn't say he was good in My Girl...He was...palatable - it's just his hair drove me crazy.
Wahahaha!!! Exactly! :rofl: :rofl:
He was like... as if he forgot to take his Ritalin.
I'm saying this frankly, I never liked Junki, not sure if this drama makes me like him, but I like his performance here. Really good choice from PD to cast him.
I can separate liking the live person from liking the character. Like, I'm not fond of Eric from SHINHWA, but I do like how he acts. It's similar to Junki case, I guess.

Oh well, QoR's guy is a special bridge that connects us all, I guess. Except for Issy. :cry:

Lludara

Post by Lludara » Oct 11th, '12, 13:39

Haha. I'm almost wondering if maybe being in the millitary for 2 years did him good. I mean this is Junki's first major role since leaving the army earlier this year. Maybe it helped him mature a bit =P Or at least, it seems that way to me. He has a maturity about him in this role that he didn't have in My Girl. I still don't like his singing tho. I'd much rather watch him act.

I'm so ready to watch ep 17 and 18 from this week...maybe i should crack out rosetta stone and start learning some more Korean. I mean..it would save me more time in waiting on subs...lol

Oh...and what is QoR?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 11th, '12, 14:12

Well, subs for ep 17 are out already, you know...
My Girl was just awful, awful, I ff-ed it so damn much I missed half of the drama I guess, and of kors LDH there.... brr.

QoR = Queen of Reversals^^ :salut:

Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 11th, '12, 23:08

well, I guess the man in QoR can do with one less fan :whistling:

I just finished watching ep17 with subs and I have to say that I feel sorry for satto and little annoyed by Arang today
I don't know what is the reasons behind Arang not telling satto that his mother killed LSR by accident and was not intentional. was it to protect JW? even in this case, she could have said that she was killed by accident and don't mention JW name. I was waiting for her to tell him how exactly happened but she did not.

and I am also a little bit uncomfortable for making grim reaper and MY lovers in the beginning to be honest. even though they started as lovers and then reincarnated into siblings, but still! we got to know them as sibling and now this lovers idea feels abit yucky :pale: )
but It's interesting how in this week both Faith and Arang have exact storyline in terms of their OTP's love revelations and progress between two lead's romantic relationship. both female leads have admitted that they do love their male partners. but they were hiding their feelings to protect their men from future pain of being left alone when both leave. :whistling:

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Oct 12th, '12, 20:44

After ep 17th with subtitles
Yes! Stab with pin mother body then with knife spirit, easy and as I predicted (so proud of myself 8) )

I pitty Young Master, even like him to some extend which is plus for scenario and actor as I usually have no compasion for such characters in drama. He is so human with his actions that you can't really blame him. For brainwashed child he turned out surprisingly well even. In fact I have compasion for fiery as well. She was not suited for life in heaven, It was not her fault that she ended this way as I feel it, She stared with frustration for life there, escalated and then went evil path but should not gods be more perspective with choices for souls they make. Happy people/ghosts do not commit sins, unhappy do.
my nails are gone, started on fingers watching end of episode.

Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 12th, '12, 21:30

Oh yeah! The young master Choi (we have so many Choi names in dramas this season :P ) really breaks my heart. I totally sympathise with him. I don't see him an evil guy even with all what he has done. True! He made the first kill and decided to join evils with the madam but he saw the ugly face of his crime and his conscious started to wake up. If it wasn't for amnesia magic, I am sure he wouldn't gone back to killing. But he kept killing because he had no recollections of his previous crimes. But he's so troubled and in pain right that really makes me feel for him. I don't blame him for going back to madam and asking for her help. Like being addicted to drugs.
I wonder how he will end up. I'm sure he will end up in hell but me also sure he will redeem himself. Otherwise, there is no point of showing his in pain conscious .

As for MY, so did she end up as a heaven fairy? So after so many reincarnations she finally ended up in heaven? If so, why there is only one heaven fairy in one time? So many people die and their theory get reincarnated. So...
I still feel bit uneasy for them to be lovers

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Oct 12th, '12, 22:30

I think there was more fieries (is this proper form?) in one scene :unsure:
I would say syblings thing only added to her downfall (all this frustration with forbidden love) but anyway she wanted to be human so why reincarnated her as fiery? that was asking for problems and unfair as she had to be "good" enough to reach a higher level. Uh I just can't help but blame gods for this mess. All this "hardship will improve your character" is easy to say but almost impossible to follow.
Anyway ep 18 (and midnight - good it is Saturday tomorrow)
Lord Kim made my day together with Lord Choi arrest.
and once again we see that connections are most important thing, sad but true. He would be kild if not for his father involvement regardles of all documents and other evidence.

This drama is driving me crazy on totally different level then Faith. It is consistent, with heavy plot, logical all the time (with ghosts and gods involvement! thats acomplishment), even when main mystery was resolved it did not loose level of suspence and I was afraid it will start to drag on.
But what got me today is that people are talking here. Not all, not at once but they talk, not make stupid decisions based on false information (becouse they NOT talked before either - common plot in most dramas, ghrrr!) and they are honest with what they feel (nice contrast with abovementioned Faith too).
Ok maybe last scene not corespond to previous statement but she told him before what were her thoughts. Anyway can't wait how it ends.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 13th, '12, 09:41

"fairies"? I believe there were more than one in first episodes, or even the very first.

The reason Arang doesn't lose the pace, except for all you wrote above is also - no extention, so no stupid fillers to have the episode. Faith got few episodes more, and extending a drama is always a bit tricky.

Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 13th, '12, 10:41

Ethlenn wrote:"fairies"? I believe there were more than one in first episodes, or even the very first.

The reason Arang doesn't lose the pace, except for all you wrote above is also - no extention, so no stupid fillers to have the episode. Faith got few episodes more, and extending a drama is always a bit tricky.
Yes! I said it in Faith thread myself too. If It it was 16 or 20 eps only, would have made such difference in over all story. Even 20 sounds a lot for some storyline And even Arang has its unnecessary long scenes with long and repeated dialogue in some eps. Korean entertainment has to know that less is more sometimes.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Oct 13th, '12, 20:13

you need to slow down from time to time :lol high preasure is bad for health!
but I agree that K-dramas have tendency to drag a bit. And there is always so many "trip down memory path" scenes as if they were afraid audience have global problem with memory and need remainder what happend x episodes before. At the beginig it was what I found disturbing as I came from jdrama world where standard was like 12 episodes max.

Lludara

Post by Lludara » Oct 14th, '12, 16:04

This has been a good drama for the most part..though right now I feel a lot of scenes are mostly filler to make it to the 20 mark.
Somehow I feel that Arang is going to give her body up, Sato runs in and somehow in a desperate act to save her stabs his mother with the hair pin...and MY stabs her soul with the sword. Will it happen in ep 19 or possibly even 20? Who knows.. I kinda think they'll save the last episode to wrap everything up nicely, or at least I hope that's the case.

I'm kinda thinking Joo wal will somehow throw himself in front of Arang and sacrifice himself for her, the same way she did for him. It would be sad to see but somehow expected due to all the misdeeds of his life.

I'm hoping the ending finds them back on earth, with both of their memories erased, him as Sato and her strategically placed near him, and somehow the name Arang comes up and jogs his memory. I mean, she already said not to forget Arang, right?!

Who knows, I just hope they aren't reincarnated as siblings, lol!
All in all, for me this is right up there with King 2 hearts, which I also enjoyed because of the emotional roller coaster.