[Discussion] Kekkon Shinai

Post by counsel05 » Aug 22nd, '12, 06:47

Kekkon Shinai
– Start: October 11th –
– Air Time: 22:00 –
– Directors: Ishii Yusuke and Tanaka Ryo –
– Script: Yamazaki Takako and Sakaguchi Riko –
– Cast: Kanno Miho, Amami Yuki, and Tamaki Hiroshi –

# The ordinary life of two women who can’t or don’t want to get married!

Tanaka Chiharu (Kanno) is a contract employee for a travel agent. She’s 34 years old and hasn’t had a boyfriend in over five years. All of her friends of similar age are getting married, so she’s starting to feel anxious that she might not be able to get married. Kirishima Haruko (Amami) is a successful landscape gardening planner. She’s 44 years old and was having an affair with her boss for a quite some time. Therefore, she is looking at romance from a farsighted perspective and resigned herself from getting married.

Chiharu and Haruko happen to meet each other for the first time at the wedding of Chiharu’s sister, where they it off right away and decided to move together at Haruko’s place. They are very different in terms of personality and age, which leads to a very delightful interaction between the two. Of course they frequently fight with each other, but they also support each other as much as they can.

Kudo Junpei (Tamaki) is a part-time worker at a flower shop. He’s 32 years old and a very kindhearted and sensitive man who is not very proactive when it comes to love. Kudo doesn’t have the confidence to get married and to support another person let alone a whole family.

Coming from the same writers, it’s not surprise that ‘Kekkon Shinai’ sounds like a more mature version of ‘Watashi ga Renai Dekinai Riyuu’. It’s said to be a realistic approach at how unmarried women in their thirties and forties struggle with that damn thing called love.

cr: tokyohive
Last edited by counsel05 on Sep 30th, '12, 02:05, edited 6 times in total.

charia-chan

Post by charia-chan » Aug 22nd, '12, 06:52

Sounds good! I like all the main actresses and actors, plus, I liked Watashi ga renai dekai riyuu. Looking forward to it.

k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by k361 » Sep 1st, '12, 19:57

I am looking forward for this drama.

The cast is fine, now hoping for good script

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Sep 2nd, '12, 08:17

Yes, the cast is fine, story seemes interesting, so i am looking forward to this drama.
Last edited by Sorvaseven on Oct 1st, '12, 08:59, edited 1 time in total.

aiscess83

Post by aiscess83 » Sep 20th, '12, 05:11

I'm also looking forward to this series. So hopefully, it won't let me down.

HaLauYaMa

Post by HaLauYaMa » Sep 22nd, '12, 15:29

Want to watch this series so much looking forward for this! (' w')/

lunas

Post by lunas » Oct 1st, '12, 00:49

looking forward to this too...I like all the cast :cheers:

lenrasoon

Post by lenrasoon » Oct 14th, '12, 05:46

i've only watch the trailers but it seems really good, and i also love the cast too so i'm looking forward to watch this drama.

OO0nMe

Post by OO0nMe » Oct 16th, '12, 21:59

Watched the first episode. It definately is more serious than Kekkon Dekinai Otoko, which had Abe Hiroshi as a funny version of a single male.

Kekkon Shinai deals more with the woman side of being single, which seems to be alot harsher. Still enough funny moments though with Kanno Miho and I can't wait to see the chemistry between the three leads.

The only thing I'm missing is a dog (isn't that a singles best friend? :P)

Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 16th, '12, 22:57

I am SOOO watching this. three of them are my favourite actors. let's see what happens in ep1. 8)

k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by k361 » Oct 16th, '12, 23:15

First epsiode was good.
I hope it keep the serious touch.

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » Oct 17th, '12, 08:00

I don't understand why Haruko was transferred to a lesser position. What kind of reason is her not being married for the transfer? Isn't this discrimination? In the end for the whole company it is BETTER that she doesn't have a family to take care of, so she can work a lot for them. I know Japan has a weird perception of unmarried woman but this is outreagous to me.
While I certainly understood the issues the characters have, I'm torn on the first episode. I don't really know - it was a bit boring to me.
I would love it if Chiharu and Haruko hooked up and lived together as a lesbian couple. They have chemistry! But this is j-drama and this will never ever happen. :glare:

OO0nMe

Post by OO0nMe » Oct 17th, '12, 13:19

MaiKitty wrote:
I don't understand why Haruko was transferred to a lesser position. What kind of reason is her not being married for the transfer? Isn't this discrimination? In the end for the whole company it is BETTER that she doesn't have a family to take care of, so she can work a lot for them. I know Japan has a weird perception of unmarried woman but this is outreagous to me.
I haven't watched the episode with translations yet, but from what I understand:
The company Haruko is working for suddenly decides to focus more on designs with a warm family feel. They also knew of her aversion of marriage, so they assume that she wouldn't do a good job as designer anymore and relegated her. It's not clear if this is really true or some kind of excuse to put her at place. There seems to be something between her and her manager.
MaiKitty wrote:While I certainly understood the issues the characters have, I'm torn on the first episode. I don't really know - it was a bit boring to me.
I would love it if Chiharu and Haruko hooked up and lived together as a lesbian couple. They have chemistry! But this is j-drama and this will never ever happen. :glare:
I agree that this one starts out pretty slow, however I have high expectations of the cast. What you mentioned in the spoiler probably won't happen. :lol In Kekkon Dekinai Otoko, the message to the audience was that even a strange/horrible guy like Abe Hiroshi's character can find love and eventually marriage. I think this jdrama will show that single life isn't as bad as people think.

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » Oct 17th, '12, 13:36

^Ah, that was a good drama! I loved the relationship between him and the dog of the neighbour girl! :D
I think the work issues has to do with the society and that makes me really angry. Who really cares what you do in your private live as long as your work is succesful, and in Harukos case it IS. I, at least, would be furious. And, yes, there are issues between the boss and her.

I would just love a relatonship between the girls because it is against everything that their environment expects them to do. I think they would be good together. ;)
I fear that Kekkon Shinai will end in marriage though and the message won't be "It's ok if you stay single forever!" At least Chiharus character will find love at the end I'm sure. :|

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Oct 17th, '12, 13:57

MaiKitty wrote:

While I certainly understood the issues the characters have, I'm torn on the first episode. I don't really know - it was a bit boring to me.

OMG I thought the same exact thing!!!! That was totally the atmosphere they brought to this!
Like a "Who needs men... it's just you and me, baby." And they drive towards the sun's horizon, Kanno grasping tightly on Amami's jacket.. .as the wind blows through their tresses, and the ocean on their left side seems like a sea of endless possibilities..... The only sound you hear is the motorcycle... going closer to their future~

...or something like that lol!

sunflower63

Post by sunflower63 » Oct 17th, '12, 16:01

yes I also found this episode a little bit slow but then again most of the Japanese first episodes are so as far as many of the dramas that I have watched so far goes.
I personally imagine the plot something like both the female leads falling in love with the flower man and him not knowing which one to choose?TH
I hope it will be an interesting drama and I am wondering if there will be other main male leads. :D

draftin

Post by draftin » Oct 17th, '12, 17:59

TNAK YOU FOR JDRAMA

totally_0bsessed

Post by totally_0bsessed » Oct 17th, '12, 23:32

I didn't really mind the pacing of the first episode but it was a promising pilot. :D

gracefulmoonie

Post by gracefulmoonie » Oct 18th, '12, 04:23

sunflower63 wrote:yes I also found this episode a little bit slow but then again most of the Japanese first episodes are so as far as many of the dramas that I have watched so far goes.
I personally imagine the plot something like both the female leads falling in love with the flower man and him not knowing which one to choose?TH
I hope it will be an interesting drama and I am wondering if there will be other main male leads. :D
I also hope that this will turn out to be an interesting drama too. Considering the last japanese drama that I watched was Guilty (also with Kanno Miho and Tamaki Hiroshi).
I love them in there, (and I am so glad Tamaki Hiroshi has a decent hairstyle here. )
I hope that what you put in the spoiler doesn't happen.
I am glad that Amami Yuki is in here too, she is perfect for this role. But it just seems like she is playing the same role that she did in Around 40, so here's hoping that she does something different with this role.
I watched episode 1 already, and I am loving it so far...looking forward for more.

Yukizboy

Post by Yukizboy » Oct 23rd, '12, 09:21

gracefulmoonie wrote:I also hope that this will turn out to be an interesting drama too. Considering the last japanese drama that I watched was Guilty (also with Kanno Miho and Tamaki Hiroshi).

LOL. I am only watching this Jdrama because I am like just pretending that these two are really the same characters from Guilty only reincarnated. :lol I pretty much just skim the episodes and only watch the parts when Tamaki and Miho Kanno are on screen together. XD
gracefulmoonie wrote:...and I am so glad Tamaki Hiroshi has a decent hairstyle here. )

OMG. This is so true! :lol Tamaki Hiroshi was up until very recently my fav Jdrama actor and his hairstyle was only perfect in the Nodame Cantabile series... everything after that has been a constant string of disappointment. :lol His hair only looks good on magazine covers nowadays. :whistling: LOL.

sunflower63

Post by sunflower63 » Oct 24th, '12, 12:10

I thought Tamaki Hiroshi's hair in Guilty looked really good as it was long and sexy coupled with his moustache! In any case I enjoyed the second episode of Kekkon Shinai. I like the chemistry between the two female leads which is great...it's the first time I see two women living together and having such great companionship in Japan. Another thing that struck me is the incredible importance that marriage is given there, it will be very interesting to see how the story progresses from here. :lol

Jav_sol

Post by Jav_sol » Oct 26th, '12, 18:25

gracefulmoonie wrote:I am glad that Amami Yuki is in here too, she is perfect for this role. But it just seems like she is playing the same role that she did in Around 40, so here's hoping that she does something different with this role.
I don't see what she can do different, it's like Yuki has been typecasted.

ailuros

Post by ailuros » Oct 31st, '12, 03:15

I love haruko's apartment!!

Setting so nice, garden, flower shop and haruko's apartment!!

This drama so nice. I love it!!

lunas

Post by lunas » Nov 1st, '12, 01:12

same here, i love haruko's apartment too. I wonder which part of the city r they at to have such a space for garden like that.
ailuros wrote:I love haruko's apartment!!

Setting so nice, garden, flower shop and haruko's apartment!!

This drama so nice. I love it!!

DragonSpikeXIII

Post by DragonSpikeXIII » Nov 1st, '12, 01:40

It's like Amami is playing herself on every drama, for a few years it's been like this, I haven't seen any of her early drama work but I doubt she's any different.

This drama's writing doesn'thelp much though, it's pretty stale, sub-par compared to Amami's other dramas even.

ailuros

Post by ailuros » Nov 1st, '12, 06:40

Isn't too easy that Haruko allow Chiharu to stay at her place? They just met, right?

Agree that lately all of her role is quite similar...but I think it fit her very well. I kind of like Amami's character here. Horuko is tough lady but she still polite, and graceful.

btw, I saw couple episodes of Fumo Chitai. Seem Amami's character there is very feminine and cheerful, lol.

counsel05

Post by counsel05 » Nov 7th, '12, 08:57

This drama has not turn me down so far as expected. I like that despite the diversity of their characters they are sharing the same "problems".

I can sense that they are not really anti-marriage but they just seem to live with what they have at the moment. Chiharu on the other hand is both pressured and at the same time IN LOVE with the concept of BEING IN LOVE & GETTING MARRIED.

I am learning a lot about flowers, value of marriage, friendship, family in this drama.
Hope it stays that way until it ends.

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » Nov 9th, '12, 13:19

Still a bit too boring to me. And episode 4 was cheesy and way too predictable. I keep watching because I like the premise, but it is certainly not a must-see drama.

t12345

Post by t12345 » Nov 9th, '12, 14:10

I don't like Miho, if Takeuchi Yuuko plays her part, this drama would be much more enjoyable.

OO0nMe

Post by OO0nMe » Nov 20th, '12, 06:20

After watching 6 episodes I'm guessing that there won't be an exciting overarching plot in this show. It's main goal is to show a slice of life revolving around (mis)conceptions regarding marriage and relationships.
Having left those expectations behind, I actually find this to be a very enjoyable show. The excellent cast manage to convey emotions very well and at times this is just an upbeat feel good show for singles.

Regarding the subplots for the main characters:

Haruko & her boss:
I suspected from the first episode there was more going on than just demoting her for business reasons. Seems like she was involved in some kind of affair (the wife knows!) and things became increasingly awkward at work between them. Either that or she really has a child and couldn't stand watching him with his foster family at the dinner... Which would make the thanks of the wife towards Haruko not sarcastic as I assumed but jsincere.

Chiharu x Junpei x Kono:
From the point of view of Junpei it seems he's clearly more comfortable with Chiharu than his kohai, Kono. It might be because she reminds him of his lack of talent/succes in his arts when they are together while Chiharu is his mental support. Next episode she's 'going for the kill' though, so let's see how things play out between the three of them. I think Junpei is going to refuse Kono's offer and find a more comfortable, slower paced way to continue his painting in contrast to the cutthroat world of commercial arts.

Haruko x Professor x female parttimer/student:
Then there is some really awkward and funny thing going on between the professor and Haruko. Even if you are a professor of social sciences, things don't work out well in real life and has a clumsy way to approach Haruko. :P For some reason I suspect that the female student has an eye for her professor as she seems to be very cheerfull everytime she meets him out of class. In the end, I think neither relationships will work out because they will never start to be taken into concideration.

Btwfor those who watched episode 6, was I the only one who thought that Chiharu's friend was going to leave her poor child behind permanently? I guess I watched too many messed up sad chinese TV shows :D

gracefulmoonie

Post by gracefulmoonie » Nov 21st, '12, 06:26

OO0nMe wrote:After watching 6 episodes I'm guessing that there won't be an exciting overarching plot in this show. It's main goal is to show a slice of life revolving around (mis)conceptions regarding marriage and relationships.
Having left those expectations behind, I actually find this to be a very enjoyable show. The excellent cast manage to convey emotions very well and at times this is just an upbeat feel good show for singles.

Regarding the subplots for the main characters:

Chiharu x Junpei x Kono:
From the point of view of Junpei it seems he's clearly more comfortable with Chiharu than his kohai, Kono. It might be because she reminds him of his lack of talent/succes in his arts when they are together while Chiharu is his mental support. Next episode she's 'going for the kill' though, so let's see how things play out between the three of them. I think Junpei is going to refuse Kono's offer and find a more comfortable, slower paced way to continue his painting in contrast to the cutthroat world of commercial arts.

Haruko x Professor x female parttimer/student:
Then there is some really awkward and funny thing going on between the professor and Haruko. Even if you are a professor of social sciences, things don't work out well in real life and has a clumsy way to approach Haruko. :P For some reason I suspect that the female student has an eye for her professor as she seems to be very cheerfull everytime she meets him out of class. In the end, I think neither relationships will work out because they will never start to be taken into concideration.

Btwfor those who watched episode 6, was I the only one who thought that Chiharu's friend was going to leave her poor child behind permanently? I guess I watched too many messed up sad chinese TV shows :D
Thanks so much for your post. Before reading your post, I felt like I was the only one watching this series. :cry:
I am still watching due to my love for Kanno Miho and Tamaki Hiroshi.
Even though there isn't an overarching plot going on, I still find myself smiling after watching each episode. It's really a slice of life kind of drama, where you get like a sort of lesson each week relating to single/marriage life and such.
I don't think that the part timer student is secretly liking the professor, she might just be a cheerful person. But the professor is so cute, how every time he clumsily goes into the shop to meet Haruko, and gets interrupted every time. :-(
And on to Junpei and Chiharu, their scenes are cute. Love the scene when she was drunk and tried to knock on the door of the gallery to get his paintings back, and she was afraid that he would see that her make up is all messed up b/c she is drunk. :wub:
And also the scene is episode 6 where Chiharu and Junpei had to take the little boy to the doctor and the nurse thought they were the mom and dad...
:D
Looking forward to this week episode.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Nov 21st, '12, 06:36

OO0nMe wrote:
I think it's just you. I never thought her friend would abandon her child. I can understand her predicament. She needs someone to take care of her kid while she and her husband settle down (move). It's troublesome to have a child around when you're trying to move. Especially if he starts questioning why. It also slows down the process because he'll be in the way and you need someone to look after him.

OO0nMe

Post by OO0nMe » Nov 21st, '12, 12:32

gracefulmoonie wrote: Thanks so much for your post. Before reading your post, I felt like I was the only one watching this series. :cry:
I am still watching due to my love for Kanno Miho and Tamaki Hiroshi.
Even though there isn't an overarching plot going on, I still find myself smiling after watching each episode. It's really a slice of life kind of drama, where you get like a sort of lesson each week relating to single/marriage life and such.
I don't think that the part timer student is secretly liking the professor, she might just be a cheerful person. But the professor is so cute, how every time he clumsily goes into the shop to meet Haruko, and gets interrupted every time. :-(
And on to Junpei and Chiharu, their scenes are cute. Love the scene when she was drunk and tried to knock on the door of the gallery to get his paintings back, and she was afraid that he would see that her make up is all messed up b/c she is drunk. :wub:
And also the scene is episode 6 where Chiharu and Junpei had to take the little boy to the doctor and the nurse thought they were the mom and dad...
:D
Looking forward to this week episode.
You're welcome, I'm also a big fan of Kanno Miho and Tamaki Hiroshi. Both are quite accomplished in playing either serious or comedic roles.

I agree that it isn't very likely that the student has something for the professor. I'm trying to guess what here role is in this story, she might be just an example/representative of the younger generation, as Chiharu (30+) and Haruko (40+) are for theirs.

What I like about the Junpei/Chiharu pairing is that they create a nice, vibrant atmosphere when they are together. I love the scenes when they just go out to the park (Haruko designed) and do some drinking while snacking on vegetable chips.
seirin wrote: I think it's just you. I never thought her friend would abandon her child. I can understand her predicament. She needs someone to take care of her kid while she and her husband settle down (move). It's troublesome to have a child around when you're trying to move. Especially if he starts questioning why. It also slows down the process because he'll be in the way and you need someone to look after him.
Well I certainly hoped my fears were false. In Japanese/Chinese stories when faced with bankrupcy or poverty they often tend to leave a child behind to someone dependable in hope for a better future as they run away from debtors.

However short it might have been, it was great to see both women taking care of the little fella. I laughed when Chiharu confessed (jokingly) that she couldnt keep up with children because of her age and therefore women should give birth early in life. :D

t12345

Post by t12345 » Nov 26th, '12, 00:36

Horuko and her boss affair knocked me out, I've just thought that he was her father. :mrgreen: :whistling: So stupid of me. :cry:

Nagashiwa

Post by Nagashiwa » Dec 7th, '12, 19:16

I can't wait for Episode 9.

I'm waiting I'm waiting

Episode 8 ended with such a cliffhanger (>_<)

magnolialove
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by magnolialove » Dec 9th, '12, 16:49

I love this one, too! I think it's my favorite this season.

I love the professor and Haruko story! Although I thought the student had a thing for him, too.

pink-revolution

Post by pink-revolution » Dec 18th, '12, 21:41

Now, seriously, am I the only one who's shipping Haruko and Chiharu? Especially after episode 9?

I'm really not sure if the writers did intend on doing this, but for me there were sooo many moments when it was implicited... ^^ It might just be my wishful imagination though because I feel like that neither the professor is fitting for Haruko nor is Junpei or Takahara for Chiharu...

Anyways, getting really excited for the final episode here. This drama has definitely become my favorite for this season. <3

OO0nMe

Post by OO0nMe » Dec 18th, '12, 23:30

pink-revolution wrote:Now, seriously, am I the only one who's shipping Haruko and Chiharu? Especially after episode 9?

I'm really not sure if the writers did intend on doing this, but for me there were sooo many moments when it was implicited... ^^ It might just be my wishful imagination though because I feel like that neither the professor is fitting for Haruko nor is Junpei or Takahara for Chiharu...

Anyways, getting really excited for the final episode here. This drama has definitely become my favorite for this season. <3
You're not alone, I definitely had the same thoughts. They have great chemistry together, and while it was clear that Chiharu depended on Haruko, the same holds true the other way (although Haruko would admit it reluctantly :P). However I know it isn't going to happen after seeing the developments between Chiharu and Junpei, especially when they got mistaken to be husband and wife so many times.

This weeks episode is going to be the finale (ep 11) and the preview isn't showing much hints for what's about to happen. Since my previous predictions were quite off the mark, I'm going for another shot. :P

Chiharu x Junpei:
Both clearly showed their honest feelings to the audience, but not to eachother yet. I think they won't end up together immediately due to the illness of Haruko. Junpei probably will go to France and they will meet up again some time later.

I do feel very sorry for Kono and Takahara. In other shows, the 3rd person in the triangle usually is a dirty, scheming, scumbag that does/does not succeed in winning. This time however both are genuinely caring for their other half, so it's painful to see them failing (probably).

Haruko x Professor:
Wow, the old guy has more guts than I expected! Too bad his proposal failed magnificently (I wonder what happened afterwards, must have been very awkward in the restaurant). Funny thing is, if not for Haruko's illness (and I assume if things go wrong not being able to bear children) he might have been succesful otherwise. I think Haruko will end up alone and be happy, because they don't want to show people that marriage is the only path for happiness in life.

Mai x Cool guy:
So she didn't have a crush on the professor after all. Instead she confessed to a guy in her friend circle (one of the four). Still not sure what those Wizard of Oz references were about. I did find it funny that she confessed with flowers, almost seemed like a proposal and the guy was also laughing! However, I'm not sure if cool guy accepted. When Mai told Junpei thanks for giving her courage, he didn't ask if her confession succeeded or not (and she didn't tell). Maybe it isn't considerate to do so, but as a friend I would have asked.

For me this also has been the most enjoyable show of this season. Looking forward to a nice happy ending. :)

kangxy67

Post by kangxy67 » Dec 19th, '12, 01:23

OO0nMe wrote: Mai x Cool guy:
So she didn't have a crush on the professor after all. Instead she confessed to a guy in her friend circle (one of the four). Still not sure what those Wizard of Oz references were about. I did find it funny that she confessed with flowers, almost seemed like a proposal and the guy was also laughing! However, I'm not sure if cool guy accepted. When Mai told Junpei thanks for giving her courage, he didn't ask if her confession succeeded or not (and she didn't tell). Maybe it isn't considerate to do so, but as a friend I would have asked.
I had to laugh myself, when she confessed and pulled out a bunch of flowers. Seriously?! But if she didnt, maybe it was useless for her to be working in a flower shop. :P

It was a slow start for me, but got much better as I watched more and more. One of my favourites this season! Cant wait for the last episode!

OO0nMe

Post by OO0nMe » Dec 25th, '12, 00:06

Just watched the last episode, what a heartwarming finale! I especially loved the small details, some notable scenes:

-Chiharu being acknowledged (more or less) as family by Haruko in the hospital room
-No one explaining the flower language of the week because Junpei wasn't there
-Instead of the night first (?) shots of the park in basking sunlight, marvellous scenes and very nice colours!
-Junpei also confessing with flowers like Mai did before, albeit in a little different way :)
-Professor being very persistant with his marriage proposals, although in a funny way.
-Ending scene matches the theme song ('love is paper airplane")

The ending wrapped up the story nicely while leaving some openings for our imagination. It might not be the greatest jdrama of this year, but overall it has been a very nice feel good show. There was great chemistry between the whole cast, especially Haruko and Chiharu. I would also like to see some more jdrama's from the actress playing Mai.

SusieQ

Post by SusieQ » Jan 2nd, '13, 04:34

I'll admit, I was getting annoyed by the last few episodes at how long it was taking the professor to confess/Haruko to notice he was in to her, and also how long it was taking Chiharu and Junpei to act on their feelings for one another.

But the finale brought it all together and I was pleased by it.

That kiss between Chiharu and Junpei is one of the best I've ever seen in a jdrama. @_@