[Discussion] Osozaki no Himawari (Ikuta Toma, Maki Yoko)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

[Discussion] Osozaki no Himawari (Ikuta Toma, Maki Yoko)

Post by yanie » Oct 25th, '12, 14:48

Cast: Ikuta Toma, Maki Yoko, Kiritani Kenta, Kashi Yu, Emoto Tasuku, Kimura Fumino, Kuninaka Ryoko

The title means "late-blooming sunflower".
Script written by Hashibe Atsuko who has written Brothers, Emergency Room 24hrs, BokuMichi series, Around 40, Freeter Ie wo Kau.

This drama has surpassed my expectation! :cheers: It has a solid story, solid characters, plus the beautiful scenery of Shimanto River, completed by an awesome themesong, by Mr. Children, "Jotoku"!

Usually stories takes place in a little town is slow-pace and draggy for me, but it's not the case for this drama. Time went by pretty fast watching this drama. Most probably because I like the male lead and female lead alot. Somehow, they're very realistic, to me.

Not to mention, somehow I just love listening to Japanese regional dialect. Still not sure what dialect they're speaking in... it sound a bit similar with Izumo-ben, but it must be different.

My favorite scenes:
1. Kahori (Maki Yoko) and Ayaka (Kashi Yu)'s argument on how things done in Shimanto hospital with hospitals in Tokyo are different. What I like from this scene, is I can't side either of them, both of them has good points.

2. The ending scene, Jotaro (Ikuta) and Kahori in the Shimanto river... everything's just lovely! I keep repeating it over and over. But basically I love all Jotaro-Kahori scenes :mrgreen: They're the -bickering partners-turn buddies-turn romantic- type of couple :wub:

Episode 1 focused heavily on Jotaro and Kahori... I can't wait to see more focus on the supporting characters, they must have their own interesting stories too!

The opening theme sung by the 7 main cast is cute!

The 7 people, 4 girls, 3 guys, reminds me of "Wakamono Subete", 90s classic drama, starring Kimura Takuya, Takeda Shinji, Fukatsu Eri (not to mention the themesong sung by Mr. Children too)... and also "Tentai Kansoku" starring Ito Hideaki, Sakaguchi Kenji, Koyuki, about 7 bestfriends.

But then again, these 7 people in "Osozaki" aren't even friends yet in Ep1. I wonder, if 7 of them will become bestfriends in the end?

toma_sis

Post by toma_sis » Oct 26th, '12, 13:18

just download episode 1, I hope someone subbing this series...just want to ask .. The opening theme song , really sung by the 7 main cast??

Really miss toma voice...I'm fan of him since his Johnny's Jr but when hear his voice here seem different..yes I think he has a good voice and really disspointed cuz he can debut as a singer but I'm really happy to hear him singing again ^^.

the drama look promising..and the important thing I like it ^^

Romance

Post by Romance » Nov 13th, '12, 09:16

I will so try this out, any other thougts so far? :D

charia-chan

Post by charia-chan » Nov 13th, '12, 09:28

bubbletoes and me are subbing this.
We might be a bit slow - mainly because I can only work on the translation after work and its quite time-intense.
But we're trying our best. so I hope you guys will enjoy this drama.

I really like Japan's rural areas and it's nice to have drama about it.
I love the opening! Anyone know if there's going to be a soundtrack or if they're going to publish that as single?

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Nov 13th, '12, 10:07

charia-chan wrote:I really like Japan's rural areas and it's nice to have drama about it.
I love the opening! Anyone know if there's going to be a soundtrack or if they're going to publish that as single?
Too bad, the official website says about the opening theme: ちなみにレコーディングは都内のスタジオで行われ、皆さんワンコーラスまるまる歌ってもらいましたが、残念ながらCD化の予定などはありません。ドラマを見ていただける方だけの特典になってます。

You can try to find the original song, by a group band called Mongol something, but there will be no CD for the cover version sung by Osozaki cast :(

charia-chan

Post by charia-chan » Nov 13th, '12, 10:33

Ah, too bad.
But thanks for the info.

Haha, when I first heard the song, I told my friend that it sounds like something Mongol800 would play. So it actually was originally from them, nice.

scattie

Post by scattie » Nov 24th, '12, 15:24

Ahhh it's been a while since I posted here :D

I'm going to marathon ep1 till 3 now thanks to the soft subs provided by charia-chan!
:salut: :salut:

Just few mins in ep 2 I just feel the need to cap this :D

avieamber
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by avieamber » Nov 26th, '12, 00:56

i'm really loving this show atm. The first 3 episodes exceeded my expectations. I think it's interesting how the lives of the 7 characters cross each other in a small rural town and I can't wait for the rest of it. :D

charia-chan

Post by charia-chan » Nov 28th, '12, 10:26

I was also positively surprised by how much I enjoy this dorama.
Of course, I like Ikuta Toma, so I was planning on watching it anyways (and now I'm subbing it^^)
But it's really good, I love the chemistry between the cast members.

scattie

Post by scattie » Nov 28th, '12, 12:52

This drama tugs at my heart :wub:

I think, more or less we have encounter what some of the characters had experienced. I especially liked the way some scenes are played out so it's not draggy and corny.

But what I love most is the interactions between the cast eps Jotaro & Kahori :Dv

I watch ep 5 raw and the ending is like (º_º) Can't wait for ep 6!

charia-chan

Post by charia-chan » Nov 28th, '12, 12:57

Right, I love the "Ah, ore, ore! (It's me, me!) - Ore, ore tte dare?" (Who is me, me?) joke going on between Jotaro and Kahori.^^
It always makes me smile.

scattie

Post by scattie » Nov 29th, '12, 12:25

Right, I love the "Ah, ore, ore! (It's me, me!) - Ore, ore tte dare?" (Who is me, me?) joke going on between Jotaro and Kahori.^^
Me too! I love how Jotaro just simply call Kahori and babbling away about mundane things :D

And this....
A horse? :mrgreen: which part Jotaro? Haha

EDIT:

I just saw Yanie posted screencaps at the other forum, oh my the new opening sequence, so cute!

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Dec 7th, '12, 01:26

I'm really happy, that someone made a threat about this dorama, it really deserves it! I have to say, that I was looking forward to this one, simply because its setting is not Tokyo, but Shikoku. As the episodes go buy, I like it more and more.

- The characters themselves are interesting. Everyone has something as "emotional luggage" that the carry around, everyone has their problems. But nothing (up to now) seems too be over the top. The people feel quite real.
- The interaction and relations between the characters are really interesting.
- Still several mysteries: Who is texting the landlord? Why are the nurse and the guy living together? ...
- SO MANY POTENTIAL LOVE LINES AND ENDINGS! And yes, even though I'm a boy, I really do love stuff like this. :p
- I LVOE the relationship that the two main characters have. It's this "friendly hostile" relationship. They tease each other and maybe would not admit that they like each other, but it shows that they do. I'm really curious, if they end up together or not. I personally hope so. :p

All in all, this is the most entertaining dorama this season, even though it hast two strong competitors which I also like (Priceless and Tokyo Zenryoko Shoujou). I'm so happy, that this was picked by the subbers. :)

btw. I havent watches any further then episode 3.

kangxy67

Post by kangxy67 » Dec 19th, '12, 02:28

charia-chan wrote:Right, I love the "Ah, ore, ore! (It's me, me!) - Ore, ore tte dare?" (Who is me, me?) joke going on between Jotaro and Kahori.^^
It always makes me smile.
Me too! I'll even say it along with Kahori. :lol

It was off to a slow start for me, but I'm really liking it now. Also love the fact that I can hear Toma singing in the opening song. His singing is so soothing! :wub:

Amrai

Post by Amrai » Dec 20th, '12, 08:13

As we come up to the last episode, I need to express my enjoyment of this series. Like others, I was uncertain about the slow pace at the beginning, but the dynamic between Jotarou and Kahori was so refreshing that I just kept on watching. I think the part that makes me think that they'll end up together is that they are willing to tell each other everything that they're thinking, even the stuff they've been holding in for the longest time. Their relationship is so natural and amicable that it makes me smile every time. They aren't making puppy dog eyes at each other and worrying about their relationship every fifteen minutes like a traditional drama romance, but that just shows a facet of an "adult" love that can be pure and uncorrupted. The telephone opener always makes me smile too.

Also, I paused at this scene and stared in awe for a minute during ep. 9

kotsukotsu

Post by kotsukotsu » Dec 22nd, '12, 20:42

Very pleasant drama in an interesting setting, i.e. rural Kochi-ken. Although the general plot contains a complex pattern of love relationships (love quadrangle +) like Tokyo Love Story (東京ラブストーリー, 1991), unlike Tokyo Love Story, the characters are more 3-dimentional and people you in whom you might have some interest.

switchgirl

Post by switchgirl » Dec 25th, '12, 05:03

Domo.. :)

I plan to watch this dorama but the rating is not too high, even too standard below 10 (for first episode 13)
so it makes me doubt starting to watch it.. any suggestion?

sankyu..

Iank

Post by Iank » Dec 25th, '12, 14:04

I'm only watching Japanese shows to practice my Japanese language skills (listening, processing vocab quickly, etc...), because I'm currently learning the language, but I generally find Japanese (and all Asian shows) to be crap. Sorry, but that's how I feel.

Having said that, I LOVE this series!

I don't understand why people think that Jotaro and Kahori belong together. They're just close friends, and they can joke and talk about things because there's no pressure. They'd be a decent couple if they didn't have this big sister, little brother relationship. :) That in itself would make it impossible.
[/i]

charia-chan

Post by charia-chan » Dec 25th, '12, 14:14

switchgirl, if you just look at the ratings you will miss some great dramas.
You should just try this one out, even if the ratings are not as good.

avieamber
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by avieamber » Dec 25th, '12, 14:41

switchgirl wrote:Domo.. :)

I plan to watch this dorama but the rating is not too high, even too standard below 10 (for first episode 13)
so it makes me doubt starting to watch it.. any suggestion?

sankyu..
Hi there, i'd really recommend this series. And I agree with charia-chan when it comes to ratings. For example, if I just depend on ratings alone, I'd have missed out on amazing dramas like Soredemo Ikite yuku. Hence, do not trust fully on the ratings, they don't represent the whole thing.

voldemort

Post by voldemort » Dec 26th, '12, 18:34

As a general advise... don't trust the ratings, unless you want to see the same drama over and over ;)

The most original ones don't receive high ratings but I usualy like them, cause they are original!

And yes, I like Osozaki a lot, I like the chemistry between characters, and I like the landscape...

scattie

Post by scattie » Dec 27th, '12, 15:02

Hence, do not trust fully on the ratings, they don't represent the whole thing.
I agree completely :cheers:

It would be a waste to miss this :D Good chemistry between characters with interesting story behind it plus the drama set in a beautiful Shimnanto landscape.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 3rd, '13, 05:22

I absolutely LOVE the final ending!!! :wub:

Jotaro x Kahori forever! :cheers:

digitalcoconut

Post by digitalcoconut » Jan 17th, '13, 23:09

i dont if this against a rules of this forum..

where i can find the mp3 for the theme songs
Anata ni by MONGOL800 /the cast
Jotoku by Mr. Children

a links will be wonderful..

lilbubbled

Post by lilbubbled » Jan 19th, '13, 08:56

I started watching this drama because I'm a big fan of Ikuta Toma :) I'm still watching it and I'm loving the beautiful sceneries (wish I lived there!) and the relationship/conversations between Jotaro and Kahori. I have a few more episodes left and I wonder if these two will end up as a couple or will they be just friends.

digitalcoconut

Post by digitalcoconut » Jan 20th, '13, 08:18

completed it yesterday. its began with a great promises. but i think nothing special at the end. its a good drama, but never be in my top ten list..

Pantheria

Post by Pantheria » Feb 8th, '13, 18:51

Watching this right now & loving it. Anyone know where I can find the OST including the score as the background music is also really nice. Had a look in various places but couldn't seem to find it anywhere :)

iloveloaf

Post by iloveloaf » Mar 15th, '13, 02:15

Toma Ikuta~~
I wonder why his drama lately much more with serious characters
This drama much look the same~~
I want to look the funny side of him more~~

Any suggestion of Toma's works that is comedy type???

dodoraemon

Post by dodoraemon » Mar 26th, '13, 03:18

iloveloaf wrote:Toma Ikuta~~
I wonder why his drama lately much more with serious characters
This drama much look the same~~
I want to look the funny side of him more~~

Any suggestion of Toma's works that is comedy type???
Unubore Deka (THIS) and the first Hanakimi (Hanazakari no Kimitachi e) are the good comedy ones I remember.

Hachimitsu to Kuroba is more dramatic, but has a lot of fun moments (not to everyone taste, though)

==================================

And it's a shame they didn't release a single with the cast singing the opening song.

tan
Indonesia

Re: [Discussion] Osozaki no Himawari (Ikuta Toma, Maki Yoko)

Post by tan » Apr 29th, '20, 15:06

It has that serenity atmosphere outlook in nature.
I wonder anyone has download links and subtitle for this drama?

Thanks in advance :tv:

in2sky
Japan

Re: [Discussion] Osozaki no Himawari (Ikuta Toma, Maki Yoko)

Post by in2sky » Jul 2nd, '20, 11:45

natsukashii. loved this drama and rewatching it now. good memories of 2012 :)