Post by anangan » Jun 7th, '13, 12:45

Kamo, Kyoto e Iku 鴨、京都へ行く

Title : Kamo, Kyoto e Iku 鴨、京都へ行く

Tagline: Shinise Ryokan no Okami Nikki 老舗旅館の女将日記

Broadcast
From 9.00 p.m., Tuesdays, 9 April 2013

Station
Fuji TV

Genre : Comedy, Inspirational, Tearjerker...

Cast
Matsushita Nao
, Shiina Kippei 
, Mayumi Wakamura,
 Keiko Horiuchi
, Daitoh Shunsuke 
, Koh Takasugi
, Yu Koyanagi

Theme song: Iroha ni Hoheto by Shiina Ringo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trdpCrPeIks

FujiTV Official Site: http://www.fujitv.co.jp/kamokyo/index.html

FujiTV English site : http://www.fujitv.co.jp/en/d_13_09.html

Info site: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Kamo,_Kyoto_e_Iku.

English Subtitles thread:
Ep 1-5 http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_133370_0.htm
Ep 6-11 http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_135895.htm

Japanese Subtitles:
Ep 1-11 http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_132707.htm

Story : An extreme elitist, Ueba Kamo ( Matsushita Nao ) is a Tokyo University graduate and bureaucrat at the Ministry of Finance. Due to her mother’s sudden passing, she is forced to turn herself into an okami, or proprietress at a ryokan (Japanese style hotel). Growing up she had loathed her hometown Kyoto as much as she hated her rare name. Uebaya, the ryokan is smothered in debt and she cannot imagine letting go of her freedom and success she worked so hard to obtain. In a fever of resentment, she grudgingly takes on the family business, dead set and confident that she would be able to turn the business around in no time. But becoming an okami isn’t so easy as she imagined. The ryokan’s reputation plummets and the entire crew of employees begin criticizing her. Trying to escape her critical situation, Kamo is greeted by a shrewd consultant in finance. The crafty man’s name is Kinugawa Shuhei (Shiina Kippei ) and as they quarrel and try to decieve each other, they find themselves becoming partners. The two set their mission to rebuild the ryokan back to its healthy state. What was the relationship between Kamo and her deceased mother? Was the ryokan more important to her than Kamo? Why is Kamo the okami of a ryokan she thought she would never set foot in again? Overcoming the obstacles set in front of her, Kamo gradually becomes attached to her position as okami. Had this been her vocation all along? Don’t miss the breathtaking heart-thumping chronicles of a born-again okami!
Last edited by anangan on Jun 27th, '13, 17:43, edited 4 times in total.

anangan

Post by anangan » Jun 7th, '13, 12:46

This drama really deserves a discussion thread. This show is so good, not just for Kyoto sightseeing and Japanese culture. The scriptwriting and acting is great! Is anyone watching? :thumright:

voldemort

Post by voldemort » Jun 7th, '13, 17:48

I've tried it and gave up after 3 episodes. Is it getting any better after that?

Somehow that super Tokyo woman character who thinks too high of herself couldn't keep me interested...

anangan

Post by anangan » Jun 7th, '13, 19:06

voldemort wrote:I've tried it and gave up after 3 episodes. Is it getting any better after that?

Somehow that super Tokyo woman character who thinks too high of herself couldn't keep me interested...
Well my favorite episodes so far are 4, 5, 6, 8, 9. They made her annoying during the first few episodes so there's a comparison later. Trust me, she'll grow up during episode 4 or 5.....

totally_0bsessed

Post by totally_0bsessed » Jun 9th, '13, 23:27

I'm watching this for Shiina Kippei's character so I'm enjoying this drama immensely.
I do agree that Kamo was absolutely annoying in the first 3 episodes. :glare:

anangan

Post by anangan » Jun 11th, '13, 17:22

totally_0bsessed wrote:I'm watching this for Shiina Kippei's character so I'm enjoying this drama immensely.
Shiina Kippei's character is very complicated. Scheming, malicious, helpful, adorable, funny.... He always make me laugh, he's very good at these kind of strange roles :w00t:

totally_0bsessed

Post by totally_0bsessed » Jun 12th, '13, 00:41

anangan wrote:
totally_0bsessed wrote:I'm watching this for Shiina Kippei's character so I'm enjoying this drama immensely.
Shiina Kippei's character is very complicated. Scheming, malicious, helpful, adorable, funny.... He always make me laugh, he's very good at these kind of strange roles :w00t:
Yes, he is. :w00t:

anangan

Post by anangan » Jun 23rd, '13, 14:58

Added 10, 11 to my favorite episodes,

Love the Ending but wish it was longer!! :wub: :lol

totally_0bsessed

Post by totally_0bsessed » Jun 24th, '13, 22:40

It was a lovely finale. I also wished it had been longer. :wub: :wub:

kotsukotsu

Post by kotsukotsu » Sep 2nd, '13, 20:39

I was quite puzzled by the ending, but after a WWW search discovered that this was a reference to some professional sports person. If like me you try to ignore spectator sports are much as possible, the last line of the drama won't make any sense.

The series was nice as a drama that featured some of the best tourist spots in Kyoto as well as interesting aspects of the highly service-oriented and traditional Kyoto culture. If you have spent much time in the Gion district, you will recognize many of the shooting locations immediately. There was one spot (used for shooting two scenes) that I've not seen, so is on my list for my next Kyoto trip.

I've stayed at Ryokan many times in Japan, but never at one quite as high class as this one. Someday I'll have to stay at a place like this.

At times talking to Japanese tourists in Kyoto, I've talked to people who visit Kyoto year after year, so I think I can understand the viewpoint of some of the regular guests of this Ryokan. But dramas and the real working world can be so different at times. I wonder if there really is any Ryokan that provides such a level of service. I can't believe that the staff would spend so much time acting as unpaid tour guides in Kyoto, for example. I've never experienced anything remotely close to that, and I've never seen such guides at familiar sites in Kyoto. Maybe VIPs get such treatment.

antspace

Post by antspace » Sep 2nd, '13, 22:19

They do get ministers as their guests, so I would say it would be possible. I saw people leaving a ryokan near Gion who were very rich and most of the staff wishing them goodbye. I must say I loved Kyoto having been there as a tourist lately. Have to rewatch this series for the sights :mrgreen:

purisu

Post by purisu » Sep 2nd, '13, 23:19

kotsukotsu wrote:I was quite puzzled by the ending, but after a WWW search discovered that this was a reference to some professional sports person. If like me you try to ignore spectator sports are much as possible, the last line of the drama won't make any sense.
You mean Darvish? It referred to Golden Bomber's Darvish Kenji, the one in gymnastic video which Kamo always watched every morning. So, it made sense :)