DramaWiki: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Master%27s_Sun

Main Cast

So Ji Sub as Joo Joong Won / Joo-goon
L as young Joong Won
Gong Hyo Jin as Tae Gong Sil / Tae-yang
Seo In Guk as Kang Woo
Kim Yoo Ri as Tae Yi Ryun

Synopsis
Joo Joong Won (So Ji Sub) is a cold and ambitious CEO, who measures all human relationships through money. Tae Gong Sil (Gong Hyo Jin) is a sensitive assistant, who suffers from insomnia, due to her ability to see ghosts after an accident. Joong Won will learn to trust Gong Sil and falls in love with her.

Hi all, it's my first time posting a discussion for this show. I noticed this drama is quite nice. One of my top 10 definitely.

Anybody else noticed that there's subs in Portuguese, Hungarian, Persia, Italian and it's all up to date,except for Portuguese and Italian. So very popular. I thought maybe there's someone who likes the show as much as me. For instant Eng subs, the best source is not Darksmurf but King of Beer! Download drama and watch it without waiting. DarkSmurf is a few days behind but definitely FAST compared to other dramas.

I noticed it's similar to Secret Garden such as the male lead being the CEO of a shopping mall. What's that about?

The Horror and romcom mix is something not seen before. Some parts left me laughing out loud. I've rewatched it like 3 times already. It's crazy nice.

jica

Post by jica » Sep 16th, '13, 20:43

Best drama for this season. It's weird no one is discussing it here though.

It was a bit creepy in the beginning, but then they started to focus more on the romance and less to scare the audience. I hope it will continue to be this good until the end. ^^

Manatsu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Manatsu » Sep 16th, '13, 21:28

I had high hopes for Master's Sun considering it was marketed as a horror show (and I love horror), and then, after a few episodes, it turned out to be a sappy "Seen That Too Many Times Already" love story. Predictable and boring. I understand that there are people who watch shows like that over and over again, but I was extremely let down by Master's Sun. Not only is it a sappy love story, but it also follows and reuses an old (and I mean REALLY old) formula:

1) Rich arrogant guy? Check.
2) Poor woman? Check.
3) Third wheel? Check.
4) Love triangle? Check.
5) Rich guy falls in love with poor woman? Check.

And so on. But yeah, I can see why it's so popular. It pretty much rides on the success of "I Hear Your Voice", which was broadcast during the same time slot, same day and same network.

As for the actors themselves, they are doing a a decent job. The ghost side stories feel really out of place sometimes and extremely cheesy.

SillyCoCo

Post by SillyCoCo » Sep 16th, '13, 23:07

Well, it's true to say that the formula is REALLY old. Look at this this posting made in 2004 : http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_6100.htm

They have a need to follow the Ten Commandments otherwise it's NOT a KDRAMA. if you've watched too many Kdrama love stories then you will in time get jaded with any new shows. It's a tried and true method and this show doesn't disappoint. It's also the reason why I haven't watched much of any kdramas lately but if it's something I can watch over and over again then I consider it a top ten in my list show.

There are many plot holes. For instance, how can anybody go into the CEO of Giant shopping mall's house without anyone knowing about it? :doh: It's quite absurd and beyond belief. But even with many holes in it it's quite enjoyable. The OST is something I'm hoping someone will upload it. :dance: :notworthy:

Manatsu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Manatsu » Sep 16th, '13, 23:20

I agree, from what I've heard, the OST is really decent.

As for your mentioned plot hole: There are in fact shopping malls which are open until 4AM (of course, the shops inside are closed). But if I remember correctly, the stores inside Master Sun's shopping mall weren't really closed. The teenage girls could basically steal clothes and whatnot.
Also, superb security system/team they have there. Plot holes are pretty normal in KDrama. A KDrama without any ain't a KDrama. :'D

BaekSoo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BaekSoo » Sep 17th, '13, 06:19

Great show. Love it.

I didn't know shopping malls are open till 4am in Korea. In my country it's all closed up after 10pm.

Sakari

Post by Sakari » Sep 17th, '13, 06:45

I stopped watching after E05, just as I did with Big. The Hong sisters seem to have lost their touch, or something. My Girl and Fantasy Couple are two of my all-time favorites, but... It's been years and years, right?

biniBningPunkista

Post by biniBningPunkista » Sep 17th, '13, 09:13

jica wrote:Best drama for this season. It's weird no one is discussing it here though.

It was a bit creepy in the beginning, but then they started to focus more on the romance and less to scare the audience. I hope it will continue to be this good until the end. ^^
It is weird :unsure:
I was expecting that this thread would be over flowing with discussions. So why is it relatively empty? :scratch:

This is by far one of the best dramas I've seen this year. I'm such a wuss when it comes to horror, but in here - the funny and heart warming stuff overcomes the fear. So, yes... I am loving this show. And yey to the Hong Sisters! ^_^v

Although i have to disagree with this:
MiIiyah wrote: And so on. But yeah, I can see why it's so popular. It pretty much rides on the success of "I Hear Your Voice", which was broadcast during the same time slot, same day and same network.
Oh and I'm not contesting your comment Miliyah, because that's your outtake on the drama and I respect your review on that. I would just like to share my 2 cents as to why I disagree on it - I hear you voice and Master's Sun are two different drama's and I think that they have there own particular charm making it popular to netizens and kdrama watchers all over the world.

I would rather say that Master's Sun rides the fame of Hong Sisters. When their name pops up in the news specially about a new drama, every teenybopper and rom-com lovers are on their toes waiting for it to air. Because that's their forte and that's what they are good at. Their humor and story line could go crazy (predictable and cliche, yes) but nonetheless they make it work. It works because... well... it shows in the ratings. :D

-------------------

Now on the topic of the DRAMA:
I would like to discuss some thoughts on the latest episode.
So just to be safe, I'm putting this in spoiler mode. :salut:
So as you guys know, Joong-won was stabbed at the back and it's really annoying that they had to hurt the main lead, but oh well... that's just me.

The thing is, Gong-shil saw Joong-won's ghost and presumably he's supposed to be dead because Gong-shil only sees ghosts right? But let's back track to a few episodes where Gong-shil saw the ghost of a comatose patient but who eventually woke up. SO.... there's still a VERY BIG CHANCE which almost 99.9% chance that Joong-won is still alive. So now here's the thing... WHAT IF by some twisted fate that the only safety shelter Gong-shil has loses his ability to sake keep her? Meaning Joong-won cannot make the ghosts disappear anymore after the "accident"? I have been wondering and turning my head upside down about this possibility. It adds to the drama right? This would be a really nice twist though, because there would be no reason for Gong-shil to stick with our mr. rich boy, but she did say she was in love with him. I think this will be a great chance to prove that she loves him despite not relieving her from the ghost.
And here's another scenario... what if that doesn't happen?

I still have issues aside from the issue of Joong-won which I think is the main plot of the drama. I have issues on how Gong-shi got weird after her coma. They are still so hush-hush about it, that it's making me really curious. I also want to know the story behind the coffee loving teenage boy. He's like a gum... always sticking to Gong-shil in the mall. heh.

SillyCoCo

Post by SillyCoCo » Sep 17th, '13, 10:20

biniBningPunkista wrote:
So as you guys know, Joong-won was stabbed at the back and it's really annoying that they had to hurt the main lead, but oh well... that's just me.

The thing is, Gong-shil saw Joong-won's ghost and presumably he's supposed to be dead because Gong-shil only sees ghosts right? But let's back track to a few episodes where Gong-shil saw the ghost of a comatose patient but who eventually woke up. SO.... there's still a VERY BIG CHANCE which almost 99.9% chance that Joong-won is still alive. So now here's the thing... WHAT IF by some twisted fate that the only safety shelter Gong-shil has loses his ability to sake keep her? Meaning Joong-won cannot make the ghosts disappear anymore after the "accident"? I have been wondering and turning my head upside down about this possibility. It adds to the drama right? This would be a really nice twist though, because there would be no reason for Gong-shil to stick with our mr. rich boy, but she did say she was in love with him. I think this will be a great chance to prove that she loves him despite not relieving her from the ghost.
Of course Joong-won is still alive. Without him the show ends like IMMEDIATELY. But for Tae Yang to see him in ghost mode means he's dead and I think the doctors will say he was dead for a few minutes but they managed to bring him back from the dead.
What about Hee Joo's twin? The orphanage should have records that there were twins right?

What about the 100 billion won necklace? Why is it not been sold off? Why ask for ransom if you don't spend the money? More plot holes...

biniBningPunkista

Post by biniBningPunkista » Sep 17th, '13, 12:42

SillyCoCo wrote:
Of course Joong-won is still alive. Without him the show ends like IMMEDIATELY. But for Tae Yang to see him in ghost mode means he's dead and I think the doctors will say he was dead for a few minutes but they managed to bring him back from the dead.
What about Hee Joo's twin? The orphanage should have records that there were twins right?

What about the 100 billion won necklace? Why is it not been sold off? Why ask for ransom if you don't spend the money? More plot holes...
Oh... I didn't think of that! :scratch: But... there are so many things that happen and the inevitable death is STILL possible so I did not remove that in the option.
For all we know, Joong-won could still be a ghost lingering about up to the end of the drama, maybe still trying to get rid of the Ghosts around Gong-shil in his own ghost self? Lol. I know it's far fetched but still a possibility right? :)
I don't like the fact that they are putting Gong-shil's comatose in the dark and probably going to squeeze it in the end to put closure to us watchers. As for the twin - remember that Joong-won's secretary knew about Hannah? He knew so why didn't he tell? Oh... and another question, why follow Joong-won? What's the deal with her? I think Hanna also had plastic surgery to change her appearance and to finally get close to Joong-won. The question is WHY?

SillyCoCo

Post by SillyCoCo » Sep 17th, '13, 14:15

biniBningPunkista wrote:I think Hanna also had plastic surgery to change her appearance and to finally get close to Joong-won.
Hah! Plastic surgery is another big plot hole. You may be able to change your face but you can never change your height or the voice. I believe this woman is taller than Hee Joo right?

So many plot holes but since it's fantasy the Hong writers believe they can get away with anything and the audience will just swallow it. Well considering the ratings is 2nd and 3rd nationwide I think they can pull it off. :clap:

jica

Post by jica » Sep 17th, '13, 16:16

Actually, I don't think I'm too fond of the Hong-sisters' dramas, but this one I really like. Mainly because of the lead actors chemistry and I'm so so so glad it turns out the drama isn't a horror story. Sappy love story works fine for me.

I try to not analyse dramas too much, but instead enjoy them (when I can), but I guess that judging a drama is based on everyone's personal subjective thoughts and feelings. This one just pulls all the right strings for me, except the ghosts maybe, but there are not really any characters who annoy me as there are in a lot of other kdramas (and jdramas). I think that the love triangle is kind of harmless... and I like that the second female lead is liking the other guy. ^^

Talking about plot holes, I thought there were more in I Hear Your Voice, not to mention I couldn't stand lawyer Cha, but I still loved that show. But they're two different kinds of drama, even though they're rom-coms, you can't really compare them. Well, this drama hasn't end yet, I hope they'll tie all the loose end together or else it will really be a lot of plot holes left...
I don't think Joong-won is really dead. Or, let me re-phrase it, I think he will live or at least be able to have a happy ending with Gong-Shil in the end. I mean, the show is riding on the actors' chemistry and viewers love the couple. It's after all a comedy romance, who would kill off their main hero like that? I can't see the point, unless they want the viewers to get upset and never watch anything by them again...

The reason I think Joong-won isn't dead for real is that he disappeared too soon. All the other ghosts walked around for a while until they had their issues resolved before they went on. Being killed by a screw drawer I call that having an issue..

I guess he is having a near-death-experience or something. Dead or not, he won't disappear from the show in the first place, because all the mystery about the kidnapping, the evil twin and the necklace is still all about Joong-won, it's no point to dug further into all that without him.

The question is what will happen when he wakes up. Actually, I think he shouldn't wake up too soon, so he can be a ghost for a while and follow Gong-shil around all the places. XD~

Maybe he will lose his shelter ability, which will make Gong-shil vulnerable to "evil" ghosts who wants to possess her body. Maybe he will be able to see ghosts too? They could start a hunting ghost agency together. Hehe...
The plot with the evil twin is confusing. Her reactions and doings are not normal, how can anyone smile after seeing her sister die? For a necklace? Which she is keeping all these years without selling it for the money? And does she look like her sister or not? I hope that they will solve all our questions in the end, or else it will be a little bit frustrating.

SillyCoCo

Post by SillyCoCo » Sep 18th, '13, 12:41

Can't wait for the next ep. Supposed to be showing now. :w000t:

jica

Post by jica » Sep 18th, '13, 16:21

SillyCoCo wrote:Can't wait for the next ep. Supposed to be showing now. :w000t:
Seems like they'll cancel Wednesday's episode. :cry:

http://www.dramabeans.com/2013/09/maste ... r-holiday/

SillyCoCo

Post by SillyCoCo » Sep 18th, '13, 20:31

WHAT??? SO BAD!! At least now I know where everybody is talking about the show instead of here. This "discussion" is pretty much dead. Even the Hungarians are doing all their talking at the subs page. :wub:

jica

Post by jica » Sep 18th, '13, 20:35

SillyCoCo wrote:WHAT??? SO BAD!! At least now I know where everybody is talking about the show instead of here. This "discussion" is pretty much dead. Even the Hungarians are doing all their talking at the subs page. :wub:
Yes, if you go to the recap for the last Master's Sun's episode, the comments there are over 10 pages long, lol. I'm lurking there, reading comments while I wait for the next episode... :crazy:

SillyCoCo

Post by SillyCoCo » Sep 19th, '13, 21:30

Looks like my prediction was correct. The doctors said his heart stopped for a few minutes and they brought him back to life. 8)
Now to wait for the subs to appear.

jica

Post by jica » Sep 21st, '13, 19:52

Amnesia is so angsty, I want it to be over quick. Joong-won was the only thing lifting up this episode, so depressing. Watching Gong-shil was heartbreaking, I really felt for her. I didn't like the shaman woman part. Someone said it's like she made up the rules herself and nobody can say for sure she is wrong. I wonder what will happen with Gong-shil.

But yay for Joong-won not being dead, although I'm a bit disappointed he wasn't a ghost for a longer time, so he could "haunt" Gong-shil, hehe...
The aunt is so annoying, I can't with her pushing Hanna towards Joong-won. T_T
I mean, she doesn't know a thing about this girl, so why is she keen on being the matchmaker for them?

I couldn't help rewatching On A Stormy Night (the anime). It's such a sweet and touching story. And fun. I have to say though, wasn't it easy for the Hong sisters to copy part of the storyline?

SillyCoCo

Post by SillyCoCo » Sep 21st, '13, 21:07

Without the Shaman I think it would be pretty difficult to explain amnesia. Amnesia is a good way to drive the story since the two would have to separate and that would make it more disheartening for ppl to watch. But when Ju Joong one finally remembers the love of his life then there would be more happy ppl, me included.
The Shaman holding an IOU from TaeYang is very worrying. I wonder in what manner she would collect on the IOU?

Yes, I agree the aunt is very annoying. Why slap TaeYang when she says "He's not DEAD?" I don't think that's worth a slap.
The aunt should slap her while asking, why did she put Joong won's life in danger? Now that would be more worth a slap. Don't you think so? That's also a good incentive for her to pull away from Joong won.

Now the ending of ep13 is very exciting. Cha hee joo wanting to borrow TY's body... That gets me all the more "I can't wait for the next ep" excited.
I'm excited to watch the progress of tae yi reong and her whale. I would imagine it would be pretty frustrating for her when the whale shows no interest except.....

jica

Post by jica » Sep 22nd, '13, 11:21

SillyCoCo wrote:
Without the Shaman I think it would be pretty difficult to explain amnesia. Amnesia is a good way to drive the story since the two would have to separate and that would make it more disheartening for ppl to watch. But when Ju Joong one finally remembers the love of his life then there would be more happy ppl, me included.
The Shaman holding an IOU from TaeYang is very worrying. I wonder in what manner she would collect on the IOU?

Yes, I agree the aunt is very annoying. Why slap TaeYang when she says "He's not DEAD?" I don't think that's worth a slap.
The aunt should slap her while asking, why did she put Joong won's life in danger? Now that would be more worth a slap. Don't you think so? That's also a good incentive for her to pull away from Joong won.

Now the ending of ep13 is very exciting. Cha hee joo wanting to borrow TY's body... That gets me all the more "I can't wait for the next ep" excited.
Because I don't think the amnesia part was much needed, so I don't think the shaman part was either... T_T I understand that Gong-shil was panicking and went for help, but still... why would Joong-won think he was dead because he saw Tae-Yang? And even if he did, why did he went away? The other ghosts saw Tae-Yang and knew they were dead, but they were still around until their issue were solved. I don't buy the explanation, I thought it was to handy to use the shaman's explanation. Anyway, it worries me too what she will want from Gong-shil.

I think the aunt wanted an excuse to slap Gong-shil, since nothing Gong-shil does is right in the aunt's eyes. Maybe that slap was because she was anxious about Joong-won dying and Gong-shil taking that word in her mouth "die","death" is for her a bad omen.
I think that the second leads' relationship would be a bit pushed if they end up together before the drama ends... but KW giving TYR a chance and soften towards her, hinting that it would be them in the end would be nice.

I wish that I didn't start to watch this drama until it ended, because then I wouldn't have to waaaaaaaaait for each episode to air every week. >.< Now it feels like I'm addicted.

kuma601

Post by kuma601 » Oct 29th, '13, 00:39

This was an enjoyable contrast to Fashion King that had been watched prior. Fortunately the love triangle wasn't pushed to hard but unlike other dramas. There was no ongoing rivalry that disrupted the flow. The end tied up most the loose parts of the storyline. That was pretty refreshing.

Can get a distinct feel since this was written by the same Hong Mi Ran and Hong Jung Eun of Greatest Love. Both these are pleasant watching romance-comedy types.

I enjoy the pet names they come up with and the black whale whiskers was a howl. Especially when Tae Yi Ryung "terrorized" Kang Woo at the hospital in ep16 - 35min in. :lol

BaekSoo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BaekSoo » Nov 6th, '13, 23:20

awesomedanielle wrote:Hello Everyone! Please support his blog (Edit) that aims to unite all k-drama lovers! Dramatics that love ship couples are most welcome! So please do drop comments (as it makes us really happy and boosts morale) and ship to your hearts' content! As this blog is still new, please do give it time to build its database. Your comments will enable it to grow faster, and become a full fledged website that can grow alongside d-addicts! Thank you!
You've been banned for ignoring multiple warnings.

linhlinh1989

Post by linhlinh1989 » Nov 9th, '13, 14:04

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-gWnsRKiMKnk/U ... he-sun.jpg

[News] 'The Master's Sun' Lee Chun Hee and So Ji Sub on Gong Hyo Jin’s Lost Three Year

'The Master's Sun' Lee Chun Hee told So Ji Sub that he will find Gong Hyo Jin's lost three years.

http://www.dkdrama.com/2013/10/news-mas ... so-ji.html[/img]

ngomaitrang

Post by ngomaitrang » Nov 15th, '13, 13:18

[News] 'The Master's Sun'Drunk Gong Hyo Jin Seduces So Ji Sub

http://www.dkdrama.com/2013/10/news-mas ... o-jin.html

MoonRaven

Post by MoonRaven » Nov 26th, '13, 00:22

Totally loved this drama.
Totally love the OST.
And totally love So Ji Sub.
He is an AWESOME actor!

kuma601

Post by kuma601 » Apr 9th, '14, 19:09

An enjoyable show. The first episode we thought it might turn more horror themed and fortunately it became a bit lighter-romance styled. Gong Hyo Jin's comedy romance themes work well for her. Greatest Love and Pasta we enjoyed. :-)

kototama

Post by kototama » Oct 29th, '14, 19:10

Can anyone lead me where people were discussing this kdrama? :-) Loved it and lvoe So-Ji-Sub :-))))