[Discussion] Miss Pilot

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
DaT1PinoyDude

[Discussion] Miss Pilot

Post by DaT1PinoyDude » Oct 22nd, '13, 04:50

Thought i'd start a thread for Horikita Maki's new drama, Miss Pilot. The following drama info is from Eng subber, nyababan :cheers:

Title: ミス・パイロット - 私は空に恋をした。
English title: Miss Pilot - I fell in love with the sky.
Broadcast start: 2013-Oct-15
Broadcast end:
Network: Fuji TV
Genre: Drama
Official Website
English DramaWiki
Japanese Wikipedia

Synopsis
Tezuka Haru has been desperately hunting for a job, but nothing seems to come about. Without thinking about the consequences, she takes and barely passes the necessary exam to enter the world of aviation. From then on, she begins to walk the path towards becoming a female pilot. Of course she struggles a lot, especially since the training is more severe than she expected before taking the exam. She bonds with her fellow cadets, has to deal with some very strict teachers, and meets various people while going through the pilot training.
DramaWiki

(From DramaWiki)

Cast
Pilot Cadets Group A
Horikita Maki as Tezuka Haru
Aibu Saki as Oda Chisato
Mamiya Shotaro as Kishii Taiji
Koyanagi Yu as Kotori Sho
Fujii Ryousei as Yamada Kazuo
Shonozaki Ken as Moroboshi Maya
Training Center
Saito Takumi as Kunikida Konosuke
Iwaki Koichi as Shinozaki Kazutoyo
Ground Staff
Sakuraba Nanami as Abeno Suzu
Nanao as Suzuki Rinko
Others
Ishikura Saburo as Tezuka Shigeo
Negishi Toshie as Tezuka Yoshimi
Fujisawa Ema as Morohoshi Maya

Ending Song
Artist: kaho
Song name: every hero

Credits
- Credit goes to furransu for providing the 480p raw files. here
- Credit goes to micehell for making the 576p files available on d-addicts. here
- Credit goes to micehell for making the 720p files available on d-addicts. here

Eng Subs
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_141764.htm by nyababan

nikid

Post by nikid » Oct 22nd, '13, 13:03

I really liked the 1st episode. Cant wait to see how it will go on :-)

lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs » Oct 22nd, '13, 22:37

This looks interesting, but is there any info on if they actually filmed here in the United States? That episode 2 preview looks very interesting and I think this will be good going forward.

bluehearts

Post by bluehearts » Oct 22nd, '13, 23:01

They actually did go to the U.S. I was searching around and stumble onto this:

http://und.edu/features/2013/10/japanes ... to-air.cfm

They filmed in the University of North Dakota's aerospace science center. Pretty cool, huh?

lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs » Oct 22nd, '13, 23:15

bluehearts wrote:They actually did go to the U.S. I was searching around and stumble onto this:

http://und.edu/features/2013/10/japanes ... to-air.cfm

They filmed in the University of North Dakota's aerospace science center. Pretty cool, huh?
That makes this all the more interesting that they actually filmed here. I know a really old one from the late 70s filmed entirely in the US.

DaT1PinoyDude

Post by DaT1PinoyDude » Oct 22nd, '13, 23:17

I found it hilarious when Kishii Taiji, one of the cadets had the ring tone for "Good Luck!" in the job seminar scene.

nyababan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by nyababan » Oct 23rd, '13, 12:37

lilmanjs wrote:This looks interesting, but is there any info on if they actually filmed here in the United States? That episode 2 preview looks very interesting and I think this will be good going forward.
It seems the previews at the end of episode 1 are a mixture between scenes of episode 2 and future episodes.

After watching episode 2, I don't think that they will go to the US until episode 4.

lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs » Nov 15th, '13, 01:59

People have quit watching this? Or this show isn't interesting enough to discuss? I'm still enjoying the show and can't wait to see how episode 5 turns out.

jasminech

Post by jasminech » Nov 15th, '13, 02:22

I've seen episode 5 - mannnn, Haru's character is annoying me! In fact, everyone's blank faces when faced with English situations just made me face-palm. I felt so sorry for Aibu Saki's Chisato :(

DaT1PinoyDude

Post by DaT1PinoyDude » Nov 22nd, '13, 06:33

Anyone know how many episodes there's supposed to be? I sure hope its more than 10..

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Nov 22nd, '13, 14:07

jasminech wrote:I've seen episode 5 - mannnn, Haru's character is annoying me! In fact, everyone's blank faces when faced with English situations just made me face-palm. I felt so sorry for Aibu Saki's Chisato :(
I also think, that Harus character can be quite annoying. Everytime she said "Say again", it got more and more cringeworthy.

Also I was staggered, that the people who are training to become pilots are portrait has having zero to no skills when it comes to english. WTF? Does ANA not care if their pilots don't understand a word english? Sounds pretty dangerous to me in the international aerospace traffic....

btw., I loves the scene with HArus fligh instructor when he inhaled
and then turned to the back to ask "Whats wrong with her".
That was so hillarious, because I thought the same thing right at this moment. :D

nikid

Post by nikid » Nov 22nd, '13, 17:59

GaussAlgorithmus wrote:Also I was staggered, that the people who are training to become pilots are portrait has having zero to no skills when it comes to english. WTF? Does ANA not care if their pilots don't understand a word english? Sounds pretty dangerous to me in the international aerospace traffic....
yea, but that's another good reason to go to America. They can learn better that way, and where else better than a country that 'speaks' in english?! :P

and you can see Haru's better in english after watching ep6

firstriker

Post by firstriker » Nov 23rd, '13, 08:57

wait what? what happened to Chisato? I mean what she has done wrong? any pilot/flight expert here?

anyway ep6 was pretty good, dat part with rain-making ritual, lol

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Nov 24th, '13, 15:06

Please, I beg you, USE SPOILERTAGS, for christ sake! :cussing:

I think I can answer your question now that I've fast forwarded through the episode
Her problem is, she has too much fear. On her first flight in this episode, she was struck by a bird and got scared. The problem is, that she didnt recover from that. When she had her second flight, and she saw the other plane in front of her, she totally cramped up, because she was afraid of hitting something again. When she saw it, she looked like a statue, totally blank. And you can't have a level of fear in the cockpit, that makes you unable to properly operate the plane. That you get startled by a birdstrike, thats normal, but after that, you have to keep on going like nothing happend. She was simply unable to do so an even worse, she was unable to do so in a later flight just because of her fear, of getting into such a situation again.

That's why she failed, I think.

j_halo7

Post by j_halo7 » Nov 25th, '13, 13:54

nikid wrote:
GaussAlgorithmus wrote:Also I was staggered, that the people who are training to become pilots are portrait has having zero to no skills when it comes to english. WTF? Does ANA not care if their pilots don't understand a word english? Sounds pretty dangerous to me in the international aerospace traffic....
yea, but that's another good reason to go to America. They can learn better that way, and where else better than a country that 'speaks' in english?! :P

and you can see Haru's better in english after watching ep6
I also can't believe their lack of knowledge in English when they knew from the start they will be training in America for a long period of time.

Looking at the timeline on the English subtitle thread, they had about 1.5 years from their first day as pilot trainees before they left for America and none of them with the exception of Chisato thought of learning English?

This aside, I'm actually enjoying this drama a lot. I can't wait to see if anything develops between Haru and
the instructor

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Nov 28th, '13, 05:14

j_halo7 wrote: Looking at the timeline on the English subtitle thread, they had about 1.5 years from their first day as pilot trainees before they left for America and none of them with the exception of Chisato thought of learning English?
Even worse, there have been roughly four years (!) between she received the leaflet for pilot training and going to North Dakota. FOUR YEARS time, to learn english. I mean, you'll need english as a ground staff as weel, and I'm pretty, pretty sure, it's a must for even getting a pilot training.

But on the other hand, the pilots English seems to be worse than that of the flight attendends in many cases. A friend of mine is a pilot an he told me, how bad it is, if other pilots or towers speak english with an heavy accent. One has always to think about, how hard it is to understand someone, whos English is really bad....and that together with the fact, that people are often hard to understand through radio communication can be quite tricky. He told me, they were tought to say "tree" (but pronounced German, so it sounds like "tri") instead of "three" because it's easier to understand via radio.

Anyway, I like the dorama. It's neither mindblowing nor my favourite this season (there are so many good ones....!), but I still enjoy watching it. Also, I'm surprised by the performance of Horikita Maki. I think she is a better actress, than in previous dramas I watched with her. But since the last one, many years went by, I think. (btw.: Was she always THAT thin?).

Also,
I'm looking forward to how everything will end. Will she and the instructor come together? What kind of disease has the old pilot? Will more people have to quit the training?
To make it short: It's not an outstanding drama, but one, that keeps me entertained. That'S enough, to make me happy. :)

"Say again!"

What? Who said that? ;)

lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs » Dec 3rd, '13, 22:11

Is anyone getting the feeling that Oda and The old pilot in the series(what reason to keep him around other than what I'm about to say) are related?

jasminech

Post by jasminech » Dec 4th, '13, 00:21

Yep!
Father?

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Dec 4th, '13, 00:46

I got the same vibe one or two episodes ago, but I discarded it as beeing not possible because her father died in the past. But now I'm not sure, if they really said something like that in the dorama or if the fathher is "just not there anymore" for his family. Damn, I'm definetly watching too many doramas at the same time. It get'S hard to keep up with the different storylines ;)

avieamber
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by avieamber » Dec 4th, '13, 01:34

I actually am rooting more for kyokan and Oda. At first, I didn't really like Oda for her seriousness and harshness towards Haru who was just trying to be friends with her.

But over the time, Oda's character is easily mistaken and she's warming up with the rest of the group and worked really hard.
I was shocked she got kicked out, easily one of the best pilots among the group. But guess that's the shock factor they wanna put in. Still, I'm missing her now. The part where she helped Haru study was quite touching. So I'm rooting for Oda x Kyokan, but even if not, I want to see more of her in the show.
Usually Aibu Saki's characters kinda turn me off, especially in the past (where she usually plays antagonists) but I think this might be the first time I'm supporting her more than the main character :D

ailahai

Post by ailahai » Dec 4th, '13, 05:03

avieamber wrote:Usually Aibu Saki's characters kinda turn me off, especially in the past (where she usually plays antagonists) but I think this might be the first time I'm supporting her more than the main character :D
LOL, totally agree with u... at first I have bad thought how she will deliver as Todai graduate... but in this drama I rather impress with her...and her English skill quite good... and comparing to another Japanese actress you can say, she is really really good !

jasminech

Post by jasminech » Dec 4th, '13, 12:23

GaussAlgorithmus,
Chisato's parents divorced when she was in primary school (you can check episode 5 at about 42 minutes). So from the scene where Shinozaki saw Chisato's mum and said "hisashiburi"... pretty sure that confirms it!
And I agree too - Aibu Saki always seems to play the antagonist or the secondary love interest in dramas. I do think she is really pretty though so I've sort of always had a love/hate relationship for her. But, I really do love her so much in this drama!

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Dec 4th, '13, 20:21

Ha, my reasoning for why she was kicked out was more or less right. *pats himself on the shoulder*

jasminech wrote:GaussAlgorithmus,
Chisato's parents divorced when she was in primary school (you can check episode 5 at about 42 minutes). So from the scene where Shinozaki saw Chisato's mum and said "hisashiburi"... pretty sure that confirms it!
Ah, you'e.e right, I've totally forgotten about this scene. In episodes 5 there was also the scene
in which Shinozaki hold her hand for so long, that the others started to wshiper "sekuhara". That was also a pretty obvious indicator that there is some sort of relationship between them.
I actually do like Aiba Saki. She is pretty, without beeing overly beautiful. I like her since I saw her in "Utahime". It's sad, that she often plays minor characters that somehow get the short end of the straw.

By the way:
Am I the only one that thinks of
the dorama beeing a little bit racist? I mean, a black guy that is nearly always smiling OR looking "badass", in the USA, cooking and serving for white...I mean asian people in a big, big mansion...I mean...even if it's not racist, I think it's a little cultural insensitive. and I'm not someone who is overly PC....more like the opposite.

And I agree too - Aibu Saki always seems to play the antagonist or the secondary love interest in dramas. I do think she is really pretty though so I've sort of always had a love/hate relationship for her. But, I really do love her so much in this drama![/quote]

jasminech

Post by jasminech » Dec 7th, '13, 12:12

Loved the scene in Episode 8 when they took a box of Chisato's stuff and tried to hide it haha. It was kind of nice how everyone was using each other's first names :)

shawnkun

maki gogogo

Post by shawnkun » Dec 17th, '13, 17:26

Ahhhh. The ending seems draggy... Seems like theres alot of Aeroplane dramas this year. :D Love aeroplanesss!

DaT1PinoyDude

Post by DaT1PinoyDude » Dec 18th, '13, 17:18

shawnkun, what other airplane dramas were there?? 8)

fifimimi

Post by fifimimi » Dec 19th, '13, 13:34

Like some of you, I'm getting so annoyed by haru!!

Ok, I started to not like her after the first few episode because she's portraying a pathetic ditzy but always seems to pull it together type of female role. It's like Japanese dramas always need these female leading roles who are clumsy cutesy but totally pathetic but has an inner power to overcome all odds.

Problem is I have a problem of putting down dramas I've started and characters like oda and kyokan are the ones that continue to have me hooked.

Out of the young guys...only tajii is semi decent. One is stupid and always annoyingly overreacts...one always looks like an empty headed bfg with no personality and far to dumb and wimpy to be making it through as a pilot. One is just a snob with zero charisma.

I agree with the points made about Aibu saki...it's love hate with her...some dramas I love her far more than the main actress lead like this one and rich man poor woman....some dramas I absolutely hate her like kaseifu no Mita, buzzer beat, etc. does that means she's a great actresses or just that she plays certain roles so badly?! Anyhow oda is turning into a great character and she's done well.

I can't wait until this drama finished because there more annoying me from haru than there is of oda or kyokan to keep me hooked.
What pisses me off is the hypocritical behaviour haru has. When she's angry at oda for not sharing her feelings with her...well she does the same. Even worse cos she didn't even probe oda about her flying problems...but oda asked her firmly about her issue and she won't tell her her mum is ill...that's not just hiding but outright lying. Arrr...I just hate haru's character. Saying there's I can't think of a single role that Maki has played that I actually like...at best she is inoffensive but she always plays this annoying characters!

DaT1PinoyDude

Post by DaT1PinoyDude » Dec 26th, '13, 01:34

I thought at the end credits of Ep10, the text said the finale will be a "tense 232 minutes" but Ep11 is only 46 minutes long?

chickenruns

Post by chickenruns » Dec 30th, '13, 14:57

Ermahgerd I really don't like Haru, she is so annoying.
Chisato can speak english for she used to study in the US of A, and for a year studying at Yale or Harvard or something I don't remember, I don't know how could she understand the professors? And Haru is so annoying with her "say again". Besides, she is very selfish and seems to do not use her brains before doing anything. Urghhh.

fifimimi

Post by fifimimi » Jan 5th, '14, 00:54

DaT1PinoyDude wrote:I thought at the end credits of Ep10, the text said the finale will be a "tense 232 minutes" but Ep11 is only 46 minutes long?
I thought so too but I was glad it wasn't 232 minutes!! I couldn't stand any more of Haru!

And talk about Haru spoiling the ending and the only great thing in the drama...
Oda and Kyokan's relationship was the best thing in the drama...and Haru had to go and ruin it right at the end! Well, when the ending was drawing near I really thought that can't just leave 3 relationships hanging like that?! I;m glad there was a hint of Oda and Kyokan developing in the end....would have been nice if Taiji had confessed to Haru earlier in the series and then to end on then starting a relationship...instead they hinted him and his suuuuper annoying ex-gf Suzu! Either way..Suzu or Haru are annoying but Taiji and Haru would have been more interesting. As for the 3rd pair Rinko and Yamada...well I don;t really care but I'm glad that progressed a little rather than being totally meaningless.