[Discussion] Long Goodbye

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
rootabega

[Discussion] Long Goodbye

Post by rootabega » Apr 30th, '14, 06:28

Long Goodbye
NHK Spring 2014
Starring Asano Tadanobu

Based on the book "The Long Goodbye" by Raymond Chandler (1953)

Official website:
http://www9.nhk.or.jp/dodra/goodbye/

DramaWiki:
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Long_Goodbye

Background info on Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe, the legendary dectective Asano Tadanobu's Masuzawa Banji character is based on:
http://www.thrillingdetective.com/marlowe.html

Last edited by rootabega on Dec 31st, '14, 01:50, edited 2 times in total.

namihodai

Post by namihodai » Apr 30th, '14, 09:37

I am here, but I haven't started watching, because I am still hoping that someone might pick it up. If someone who read the book and started watching might read this, I'd like to know if the series is so close to the book that reading and then watching would make sense or if they altered the story so much that watching without subs would only lead to confusion? :scratch:

Gankooyaji

Post by Gankooyaji » Apr 30th, '14, 13:07

namihodai wrote:I'd like to know if the series is so close to the book that reading and then watching would make sense or if they altered the story so much that watching without subs would only lead to confusion?
Well, I've only just started but so far it follows the book pretty closely. It's also set in the same period, which is kinda cool.
By the way, if you can read some Japanese, the untimed subs are here: http://jpsubbers.x10.mx/Japanese-Subtit ... 31;グ・グッドバイ
If you can't, you could put the subs into Google sensei and at least get a hint at what's going on. However, I do hope someone picks this up -- it is very nicely done.

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Apr 30th, '14, 16:16

Hi, everyone:
I'm sorry the opening post is so boring-looking, I don't know how to insert images into a post (how embarrassing) :unsure: .

Namihodai, you've brought up a really good point. Would reading the original text help or hamper the viewing experience? I would say go for it.

One difference might be a the individual interpretation of Asano's Marlowe/Banji character. It is by no means radically different from Chandler's vision, but I would say there is a distinctive "Japanese-ness" in the portrayal. Maybe a little less talking, just a little more hesitation before landing a blow, and a less direct way of getting a point across than Marlowe's wisecracking and sass. Did you notice that Banji is going about unarmed? Now, that's a big change from Marlowe's character, but it only makes sense as Long Goodbye is set in 1950s Tokyo, not Los Angeles.

rootabega

Post by rootabega » May 4th, '14, 03:13

Just finished watching ep. 3 - this program just keeps getting better.

Eps 2 & 3 are as close to perfection as I've ever seen in a J-dorama.

Asano Tadanobu - the undisputed master
Koyuki - stunning, the most beautiful female protagonist in dorama history, forget about those mawkish "good wife" roles she's done in the past
Furuta Arata - finally, a dorama worthy of his formidable talents, sheer genius

That's just the actors - the art decoration, the score, the cinematography, the freaking gorgeous clothes - it's all there!

And I can't even understand half of the dialogue...

Anyone else in dorama heaven?

rosemints

Post by rosemints » May 4th, '14, 17:04

I feel exactly the same! This drama is a combination of all my favorite things... 50s Japan, film noir, jazz, and of course Asano Tadanobu. Visually it's so stunning and well directed. It's a good workout for my Japanese too.

Could I ask where you watched ep 3? I haven't been able to find it yet :(

rootabega

Post by rootabega » May 5th, '14, 01:53

rosemints wrote:
Could I ask where you watched ep 3? I haven't been able to find it yet :(
Should be popping up on D-A any day now, but if you are lacking in patience like me, there's drama(ignorethispart)overload and good ol' google. :wink:

Looks like we have some tastes in common. :D

rootabega

Post by rootabega » May 5th, '14, 02:18

Here's a little portrait of our main character, Masuzawa Banji:
“I'm a licensed private investigator and have been for quite a while. I'm a lone wolf, unmarried, getting middle-aged, and not rich. I've been in jail more than once and I don't do divorce business. I like liquor and women and chess and a few other things. The cops don't like me too well, but I know a couple I get along with. I'm a native son, born in Santa Rosa, both parents dead, no brothers or sisters, and when I get knocked off in a dark alley sometime, if it happens, as it could to anyone in my business, nobody will feel that the bottom has dropped out of his or her life.”
― Raymond Chandler, The Long Goodbye

maboroshinohikari
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by maboroshinohikari » May 5th, '14, 16:13

Hello, everybody.

I've just started working on episode 01, English subs will probably be up in a few days. Since I've been quite busy lately, it might take me some time to complete this project, but I'll do my best. This is an outstanding drama and I'm glad we can talk about it here (thank you, rootabega, for this discussion page!). :D

namihodai

Post by namihodai » May 5th, '14, 18:40

maboroshinohikari wrote:Hello, everybody.

I've just started working on episode 01, English subs will probably be up in a few days. Since I've been quite busy lately, it might take me some time to complete this project, but I'll do my best. This is an outstanding drama and I'm glad we can talk about it here (thank you, rootabega, for this discussion page!). :D
YESYESYESYESYES Thanks a lot!!!

Gankooyaji

Post by Gankooyaji » May 5th, '14, 19:53

Hahaha -- namihodai said it all! Many, many thanks! :salut:

rootabega

Post by rootabega » May 6th, '14, 00:58

maboroshinohikari wrote:Hello, everybody.

Maboroshinohikari:
Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for stepping up to do this. :wub:
Please take your time.

I look forward to discussing Long Goodbye with everyone!

maboroshinohikari
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by maboroshinohikari » May 6th, '14, 20:41

namihodai, Gankooyaji, rootabega:

You are welcome.

Anyway, I've already translated episode 01, it will be up soon!

yuki-ichigo

Post by yuki-ichigo » May 6th, '14, 20:57

maboroshinohikari wrote: Anyway, I've already translated episode 01, it will be up soon!
Woah, that sounds like good news to me! Thanks a lot!!

Actually just got the book today ^^d

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » May 6th, '14, 21:14

Finally finished watching ep3 and I'm totally in love with this drama.
I've always enjoyed Tadanobu's acting, but I love him here. Same with Koyuki and Furuta ofc. This show is amazing, the styling, score, editing are all superb up till now.

I'm also no longer confused about Banji's character. He seemed not as hard-boiled and cynical as his novel alter ego, but thankfully it's been ages since I read chandler and Tadanobu's portrait totally fits the setting, so I won't complain.

Can't wait for next week. Hope they stay as close to the book as they did until now :cheers:

Also great that this has been picked up for subbing. It deserves a lot more attention!!

Akane_61

Post by Akane_61 » May 6th, '14, 23:46

Where's episode #3?! can't find it...thanks:)
I agree, being a vintage and noir fan myself, I'm enjoying this drama a lot, wonderful show!!! it's very beautiful to watch, the style is awesome!!!
arakira wrote:Finally finished watching ep3 and I'm totally in love with this drama.
I've always enjoyed Tadanobu's acting, but I love him here. Same with Koyuki and Furuta ofc. This show is amazing, the styling, score, editing are all superb up till now.

I'm also no longer confused about Banji's character. He seemed not as hard-boiled and cynical as his novel alter ego, but thankfully it's been ages since I read chandler and Tadanobu's portrait totally fits the setting, so I won't complain.

Can't wait for next week. Hope they stay as close to the book as they did until now :cheers:

Also great that this has been picked up for subbing. It deserves a lot more attention!!

rootabega

Post by rootabega » May 7th, '14, 05:32

Asano-san's interpretation of Masuzawa is much closer to the original work than I imagined. In truth, Chandler was gradually making Marlowe less hardboiled with each novel, as he sought to humanize him.
This passage may seem a bit lengthy, but I feel it describes Marlowe's interior life by the time of The Long Goodbye very well:
The Marlowe of The Long Goodbye is tired. His horizon is clouded, his energy is running out, his sense of purpose jaded. To prove to himself that he hasn’t slipped in the past ten years, he trades witty comebacks with witnesses, defies the rich and powerful, spends three days in jail, and connives to get beaten up. What is most important, is that he forms a deep personal attachment, the emotional demands of which finally defeat him and leave him feeling bruised and alone. His isolation worsens his pain. Ageing, scared and rudderless, he faces the blackness within and the void without. His assessment of this grimness extends to the future, perhaps even to his death. The bitterness that hung about him in The Little Sister recurs together with some solid motivation; he sees that if he keeps hiding behind his sarcasm and moral rectitude, his life will fade and dry up. MacShane has shown how he renounces the traditional detective’s role of catalyst in The Long Goodbye to move closer to other people:
Marlowe is a man of feeling who is no longer hesitant about becoming involved with other characters. He is the device Chandler uses in trying to move the detective story into the mainstream of traditional fiction.
Marlowe’s problem comes with his knowledge that, although he knows he needs other people, he also understands the difficulty he will have razing the wall he has built around himself. …
Something More than Night: the Case of Raymond Chandler by Peter Wolfe
Excerpt from Chapter 10: ``Suburban Death Watch``
Bowling State University Press, 1985

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » May 7th, '14, 19:46

@ rootabega, thank you so much for this little snippet, can watch this with different eyes now.. Reading this Tadanobus faces from various scenes came to my mind.

Also realized I must be mixing up 2 or 3 novels in my memory. :scratch: So you just made me order the book, too.^^ Gotta read once more it after the drama is over.

rootabega

Post by rootabega » May 8th, '14, 01:50

arakira:
you are most welcome

Great news! Episode 1 subs are now out:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopi ... 42#1665942
A great big thanks to maboroshinohikari. :salut:

rootabega

Post by rootabega » May 19th, '14, 06:53

Episode 4 and the final episode 5 are now available in beautiful hi-res, with many thanks to micehell.

Ep 4: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_150918.htm
Ep 5: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_150919.htm

I have just finished viewing the final ep, and I have to say that I am speechless with admiration.

Bravo, Asano-san. Bravo to the Long Goodbye's creators.

totally_0bsessed

Post by totally_0bsessed » May 19th, '14, 08:52

I just finished watching the first episode and I honestly think that this drama is the Best Drama this year.

rootabega

Post by rootabega » May 19th, '14, 19:44

More good news:
Subs for episode 2 are now available. :cheers:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_150310.htm

Thank you very much for your hard work, maboroshinohikari.

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Jun 17th, '14, 15:29

Maboroshinohikari has just COMPLETED subbing all five episodes of Long Goodbye.
Here's the link:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_150310_0.htm

This is Maboroshinohikari's comment after posting the subs for episode 5:
... this is not only the best dorama I have ever seen, but also an impressive television adaptation of a novel I love. Everything was just superb, and... Asano Tadanobu-sama saikou! Wub....
Could not have said it any better myself, maboroshinohikari! How can I even begin to express my appreciation to you? :salut:

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Jun 17th, '14, 15:32

If anyone knows how to post images to a thread, please feel free to post your favourite Long Goodbye images here, because words alone cannot do justice to the beauty of this television program. Thank you in advance.

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Jun 18th, '14, 02:54

I've just finished watching the final ep with Maboroshinohikari's subs.
Wow. Simply wow.
The creators' final salvo, right at the very end, was entirely non-vebal.
First, a quick uppercut:
Harada Heizo's 1959 "Atoms for Peace" posters.
Then, the coup de grace:
A poster for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games
Real artists have guts.
This dorama was made by true artists.

maboroshinohikari
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by maboroshinohikari » Jun 18th, '14, 10:15

Rootabega, you took the words right out of my mouth.
The creators were truly audacious, and that's what made this dorama so unique. They didn't just adapt Chandler's novel, they somehow wrote a Japanese version of "The Long Goodbye". You wrote: " It is by no means radically different from Chandler's vision, but I would say there is a distinctive "Japanese-ness" in the portrayal."; well, I couldn't agree more. Thanks to that "Japanese-ness", all the characters looked real and natural, they were the perfect alter egos of the original ones. I loved them all, particularly Kamiido Aiko, who was an amazing Eileen Wade.
Words are just not enough to describe the magnificence of this series.

maboroshinohikari
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by maboroshinohikari » Jun 18th, '14, 10:34

Just a couple of photos of the temple where Masuzawa Banji meets a mysterious man at the end of episode 5.

antspace

Post by antspace » Jun 20th, '14, 22:53

Great photo's! Would love to visit it sometime :-)
I loved the divorce case at the end, and Asano's face as the women were fighting :P
But then, all of it was so good! I hadn't Read The Long Goodbye, but a couple of other Chandler novels a long time ago. I mainly remember him getting smacked over the head all the time and lots of smart talk. And how he solved cases the hard way. Not by clever deduction, but by diving into the case head over heels :crazy:
Have to re-read it soon...

The screenwriter for this was Watanabe Aya! She also wrote Carnation, which is one of my favorite series ever!

This role fits Asano Tadanobu like a glove: Lady in the lake next please 8)

maboroshinohikari
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by maboroshinohikari » Jun 21st, '14, 13:17

Glad you liked the photos, antspace! :-)

I fell in love with Asano Tadanobu about ten years ago, and I've seen every film he starred in (it's a long, long list). He can do anything, he can be the greatest loser and the coolest guy ever, he can be totally funny and absolutely desperate, truly charming and terribly despicable. He was a fantastic Marlowe indeed.
antspace wrote:This role fits Asano Tadanobu like a glove: Lady in the lake next please 8)
Yeah, that would be great! :D

Would love to post some images, but everything is so good that I can't choose!

maboroshinohikari
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by maboroshinohikari » Jun 21st, '14, 21:04

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Jun 22nd, '14, 02:47

The discussion is coming along nicely, as expected of Long Goodbye fans. 8)
I went down with a bad cold right after my last post, sorry for going AWOL.

Maboroshinohikari, thank you for posting the OST. I've been guilty of replaying the eps just to hear the music over again. I've been a fan of Otomo Yoshihide since his "downtown New York scene" avant-garde days. The first time I saw Asano Tadanobu was in Kitano Takeshi's Zatoichi re-make. As I watched the screen, my brain went totally blank, and l all I could think was, "Who is this INCREDIBLY handsome man?" I dedicated myself to finding and watching every prior film made by this most gorgeous of all Japanese men, and I was thrilled to discover his acting abilities were of the very first rank.
Well, Asano-sama, I'm in love with you all over again.
Last edited by rootabega on Jun 22nd, '14, 02:50, edited 1 time in total.

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Jun 22nd, '14, 02:48

Who else was intrigued by the Kamiido's memorable residence in Long Goodbye? The residence, located in Hyogo prefecture, is known as the Yodoko State Guesthouse. It was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and built during the Taisho era.
The official English website is a treasure trove of fascinating facts and also provides a very detailed pictorial and graphical tour.
http://www.yodoko.co.jp/geihinkan/index_e.html
Best of luck only spending a couple of minutes on this site. :-)

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Jun 22nd, '14, 04:21

antspace:
Very funny screenshot. "Ladies...ladies...OWWW"
That makes a second little difference between Philip Marlowe and Masuzawa Banji. Masuzawa did divorce work :D (first difference - no gun)
Wish I could turn up the OST to eleven!

maboroshinohikari
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by maboroshinohikari » Jun 22nd, '14, 10:56

rootabega wrote: I've been guilty of replaying the eps just to hear the music over again.
I did that too! Otomo Yoshihide is a genius (and I've just realized he also composed the score for "Kaza-hana", starring Asano and Koizumi Kyoko and directed by Somai Shinji).
rootabega wrote:The residence, located in Hyogo prefecture, is known as the Yodoko State Guesthouse. It was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and built during the Taisho era. The official English website is a treasure trove of fascinating facts and also provides a very detailed pictorial and graphical tour.
http://www.yodoko.co.jp/geihinkan/index_e.html
Thank you so much for this info! The villa is in Ashiya (which reminds me of Tanizaki's "Sasame-yuki"!), and it's so beautiful. Some pics...

rootabega wrote:That makes a second little difference between Philip Marlowe and Masuzawa Banji. Masuzawa did divorce work :D (first difference - no gun)
Was it really a divorce case? :scratch:
I thought the woman only wanted Masuzawa to find her husband (just as, in the novel, that man called Edelweiss asks Marlowe to search for his wife Mabel).

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Jun 22nd, '14, 18:06

antspace, maboroshinohikari
It looks like I was mistaken about that little difference between Masuzawa Banji and his client. While the divorce word never came up in the script, the "final showdown" between the concerned parties does bring to mind the expression
bedroom dick
:rofl: Just kidding, though. This scene should bring a smile to even the most hardcore purist's face.
Long Goodbye manages to be so faithful to Chandler and so original at the same time.

Maboroshinohikari, thank you for the beautiful images you've posted. I could admire the the genius of Frank Lloyd Wright all day long.

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Jun 22nd, '14, 18:13

I found the complete manuscript for "The Long Goodbye" online. There are a few typos, but it appears to be largely intact.

http://www.ae-lib.org.ua/texts-c/chandl ... ye__en.htm

Thankfully, the page is coded for wraparound justification, so you can resize the window to your taste (much more pleasant). I would also recommend zooming in a little or bumping up the font size a notch so it reads much closer to a book experience.

Keep the good stuff coming, folks. We've barely scratched the surface here. :lol

maboroshinohikari
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by maboroshinohikari » Jun 22nd, '14, 20:21

Rootabega, thank you very much for the link, it's very useful since I only have two (outdated) translations with me at the moment.
rootabega wrote:Long Goodbye manages to be so faithful to Chandler and so original at the same time.
You are absolutely right, and I think that is the very reason I liked this dorama. I (almost) never like adaptations, and when I finished viewing the five episodes for the first time, I thought "Well, it's quite different from Chandler's novel". I had mixed feelings about it. However, when I watched the series again (and again and again...) to make the subtitles, I had to revise my opinion. I realized that the differences are only superficial, not substantial. This is what Marlowe tells Bernie Ohls, in chapter 39:
"I'm a romantic, Bernie. I hear voices crying in the night and I go see what's the matter. You don't make a dime that way. You got sense, you shut your windows and turn up more sound on the TV set. Or you shove down on the gas and get far away from there. Stay out of other people's troubles. All it can get you is the smear. The last time I saw Terry Lennox we had a cup of coffee together that I made myself in my house, and we smoked a cigarette. So when I heard he was dead I went out to the kitchen and made some coffee and poured a cup for him and lit a cigarette for him and when the coffee was cold and the cigarette was burned down I said goodnight to him. You don't make a dime that way. You wouldn't do it. That's why you're a good cop and I'm a private eye. Eileen Wade is worried about her husband, so I go out and find him and bring him home. Another time he's in trouble and calls me up and I go out and carry him in off the lawn and put him to bed, and I don't make a dime out of it. No percentage at all. No nothing, except sometimes I get my face pushed in or get tossed in the can or get threatened by some fast money boy like Mendy Menendez."
This is Masuzawa Banji. Am I wrong?
rootabega wrote:We've barely scratched the surface here. :lol
True. We could talk about this dorama forever. :-)

maboroshinohikari
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by maboroshinohikari » Jun 23rd, '14, 20:02

:whistling:
:wink:

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Jun 28th, '14, 05:16

maboroshinohikari:

Where is that? Merch heaven!!
I haven't been able to find any info regarding a DVD release.
I would pay good money for a Bluray version, that's for sure.
I hope the low ratings (4.9% average) won't put the kibosh on a DVD.
Speaking of low ratings, erm, pardon the vitriol but what the hell is wrong with people. The ratings seem to prove one of the dorama's central points, i.e.
Cultivating a sense of aesthetics (what used to be called "art appreciation") and fostering critical thinking is for the birds. The public loves having its intelligence insulted (look at what topped the ratings this season, and most other seasons) with lousy television.
Well, on that happy note... :whistling:

maboroshinohikari
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by maboroshinohikari » Jun 28th, '14, 10:04

rootabega:

the merch heaven is in Kanda, in a place called "Café Christie". They decided to turn it into "BAR Long Goodbye" temporarily, to celebrate the broadcasting of the dorama. 8)

I haven't read about a DVD release, either. :cry: Should I find any info, I'll let you know, if you like.

As for the ratings... well, they didn't surprise me at all.
I read some comments here and there and many female viewers stopped watching the series after episode 1 because Harada Tamotsu died. No Ayano Gou, no party (why on earth is he so popular???). Some girls were disappointed because they thought this was a "homo-homo dorama", so they were anticipating some hot scenes between Masuzawa and Harada. Should we laugh or should we cry?

In all likelihood NHK didn't expect the ratings to be good, still they took a chance. Hats off to them.

Akiramike
Fansubber
Fansubber
Australia

Post by Akiramike » Jun 28th, '14, 12:52

maboroshinohikari wrote:I read some comments here and there and many female viewers stopped watching the series after episode 1 because Harada Tamotsu died. No Ayano Gou, no party (why on earth is he so popular???). Some girls were disappointed because they thought this was a "homo-homo dorama", so they were anticipating some hot scenes between Masuzawa and Harada. Should we laugh or should we cry?
I was so happy he died lol. Probably the same reason that actress was willing to put up with his good for nothing ass.

Interesting to read people's thoughts in this show. Sounds like it works better the second time.

maboroshinohikari
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by maboroshinohikari » Jul 1st, '14, 05:52

This may be :offtopic: but I HAVE to post it:
The movie "Watashi no Otoko", directed by Kumakiri Kazuyoshi and starring Asano Tadanobu and Nikaido Fumi, won two awards i.e. best movie and best leading actor during the 36th Moscow International Film Festival.

Read more here.
Press conference here.

maboroshinohikari
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by maboroshinohikari » Jul 1st, '14, 09:06

Great news! BD and DVD box are scheduled to be released on September 17, 2014. :cheers:

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Jul 24th, '14, 04:54

maboroshinohikari wrote:Great news! BD and DVD box are scheduled to be released on September 17, 2014. :cheers:
Wow, that's great news, maboroshinohikari!
I hope NHK will enter Long Goodbye in international television/media competitions, as well. I'm sure it would be very well received by the judges and members of the press.

maboroshinohikari
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by maboroshinohikari » Sep 17th, '14, 05:47

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pqRL2wZGhzc?featu ... detailpage" frameborder="0"></iframe>

http://longgoodbye.jp/info.html

rootabega

Re: [Discussion] Long Goodbye

Post by rootabega » Dec 31st, '14, 01:43

Long Goodbye, no see, fellow D-addicts. I'm going to celebrate the shiny new boards with a bit of good news:

Long Goodbye has been entered in the 55th Monte Carlo Television Festival (13-18 June 2015). Very prestigious. Ganbare, Long Goodbye!

From Asano Tadonobu's Facebook (26 November 2014 entry):
https://en-gb.facebook.com/tadanobu.asa ... l?filter=1