Japanese telvision explained

Discuss about Japanese TV Variety, Music, Game and any other TV shows that is not drama.
Orandajin

Japanese telvision explained

Post by Orandajin » Aug 9th, '14, 13:56

Japanese television always looks like a mystery to me. It's not only completely different from the rest of the world, it's also very cheap produced and variety-ish.

As far as i know in Japan there are the following big television stations:

Fuji TV
NHK
NTV
TBS
TV Asahi
TV Tokyo

Together they air a lot of variety, music and dorama. Some are even shared on this website, unfortunately without english subtitles. This means there must be enough people who understand japanese.

I would like to know what all those programms are about and what we could expect of it.

I find some programms fun to watch even without subtitle, shows like Sekai no Hatte MadeQ.

Let this be a place for people who are not familiar with japanese television to ask questions and maybe get answers.

I would like to start with some shows that are being shared on this site.

Tunnels no Minasan no Okage Deshita for example.

What is the english transtlation of the show name?
What is this show about?
On what channel does it air and when?
Who are the hosts?

Let's make this topic a place for such questions. Hope you people could help explain Japanese television :)
[/list]

forweg

Re: Japanese telvision explained

Post by forweg » Aug 9th, '14, 15:21

Orandajin wrote:Japanese television always looks like a mystery to me. It's not only completely different from the rest of the world, it's also very cheap produced and variety-ish.
This is a silly generalization. Some is cheaply produced, some is not. But even most of the "cheap" Japanese shows have superior aesthetic sensibility and creativity compared to the 5 million CSI clones seen in the west.

As for Japanese television as a whole, many of the dramas are incredible, world-class entertainment, while most of the rest is worthless crap. Which is a lot more than can be said for modern TV in any other country. Just my opinion, needless to say.

Edit: You'd be better off asking about the show you mentioned in the topic where it was uploaded if you have that many questions about it.

snowman81

Post by snowman81 » Aug 9th, '14, 18:29

Tunnels no Minnasan no Okage Deshita roughly translates to "Tunnels' Thanks to Everyone"

It's your typical variety show that has different corners every week. Some more famous corners are the Otokogi Janken where they play Janken and the winner has to buy a bunch of uesless items and Suiraku Masters, where they prank other comedians/celebs with false floors covering pits of water.

Hosts are comedy duo Tunnels, Ishibashi Takaaki and Kinashi Noritake. If you ever watched the comedy movie Major League 2, Ishibashi plays the outfielder Tanaka.

The show airs on Fuji TV, but I can't remember the day/time.

Orandajin

Post by Orandajin » Aug 9th, '14, 19:13

snowman81 wrote:Tunnels no Minnasan no Okage Deshita roughly translates to "Tunnels' Thanks to Everyone"

It's your typical variety show that has different corners every week. Some more famous corners are the Otokogi Janken where they play Janken and the winner has to buy a bunch of uesless items and Suiraku Masters, where they prank other comedians/celebs with false floors covering pits of water.

Hosts are comedy duo Tunnels, Ishibashi Takaaki and Kinashi Noritake. If you ever watched the comedy movie Major League 2, Ishibashi plays the outfielder Tanaka.

The show airs on Fuji TV, but I can't remember the day/time.
Thanks for the explanation, i think to understand this show, you just have to watch what's going to happen. :)

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Aug 9th, '14, 20:30

From DramaWiki

Fuji Television Network, Incorporated (CX, 株式会社フジテレビジョン, Kabushiki Gaisha Fuji Terebijon) is a Japanese television network based in Odaiba, Minato-ku, Tokyo, Japan. It is known as Fuji TV (フジテレビ, Fuji Terebi). It is the key TV station of Fuji News Network (FNN, aka FUJISANKEI) and Fuji Network System (FNS, フジネットワーク). It also has a relationship with Nippon Broadcasting System, Incorporated (株式会社ニッポン放送).

Kansai Telecasting Corporation (KTV) is a network TV station of Fuji News Network (FNN) and Fuji Network System (FNS) in Osaka, Japan.

NHK (日本放送協会, Nippon Hōsō Kyōkai), is Japan's public broadcaster. NHK is very similar to the U.S.'s PBS TV network. NHK receives its operating funds from the Japan government, via the "Hōsō Hō" (Broadcasting Act). Residents are obligated to pay about US$12.00 per month, although the act does not stipulate any punishment for failure of payment.

NTV Broadcast Television Series. Wednesday dramas are catered towards women, while the Saturday dramas cater towards young people.

Tokyo Broadcasting System, Incorporated (株式会社東京放送, Kabushiki Gaisha Toukyou Housou) is a television network, based in Tokyo, Japan. The TV programs of TBS are produced by Tokyo Broadcasting System Television, Incorporated (株式会社TBSテレビ).

Tokai Television Broadcasting Co., Ltd. (THK, 東海テレビ放送株式会社, Nickname: Tokai TV (東海テレビ)) is a network TV station of Fuji News Network (FNN) and Fuji Network System (FNS) in Nagoya, Aichi Prefecture, Japan. It is broadcasted in Aichi Prefecture, Gifu Prefecture, and Mie Prefecture.

TV Asahi Corporation (EX, 株式会社 テレビ朝日, Kabushiki Gaisha Terebi Asahi) is a television network operating in Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan. Its nickname is TELE-ASA (テレアサ). Officially, "TV Asahi" is almost always written in lower-case letters (tv asahi). TV Asahi was formally known as NET until 1977, and ANB between 1977 and 1985.

TV Tokyo Corporation is a local TV station located in Tokyo, Japan. It is the key station of TX Network. TV Tokyo is currently the smallest of the major Tokyo TV networks, and is known for its specialization in anime.

WOWOW (株式会社WOWOW) is Japan's first private satellite and pay-TV station. WOWOW (pronounced Wau Wau) is a double "Wow!" an expression of wonder and amazement. The three W's also stand for "World-Wide-Watching." Initial broadcasting began on April 1, 1991 and is one of the leading pay channels.

Yomiuri Telecasting Corporation (YTV, 讀賣テレビ放送株式会社, Yomiuri Terebi Hōsō Kabushiki Gaisha, Nickname: Yomiuri TV (読売テレビ, よみうりテレビ)) is a network TV station of Nippon News Network (NNN) and Nippon TV Network System (NNS) in Osaka Business Park, Osaka, Japan founded as "New Osaka TV Co. (新大阪テレビ放送株式会社, Shin Ōsaka Terebi Hōsō Kabushiki Gaisha)" on February 13, 1958. On August 1, New Osaka TV was renamed "Yomiuri Telecasting Corporation (讀賣テレビ放送株式会社)" and started TV broadcasting on August 28 as the first network TV station of Nippon TV.