[Discussion] Massan

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

[Discussion] Massan

Post by earthcolors » Sep 24th, '14, 17:49

91st NHK Asadora: MASSAN

From NHK: "The 91st Drama Serial is about an international married couple; Massan who pursues his dream of producing whisky in Japan, and his Scottish wife Ellie who struggles to get to grips with Japanese culture. Through their life, the drama filled with laughter and tears portrays the potential of Japanese people who lived through tough times."

Title: マッサン
Title (romaji): Massan
Format: Renzoku
Episodes: 150
Broadcast network: NHK
Broadcast period: 2014-Sep-29 to 2015-Mar-28
Air time: Monday-Saturday 8:15
Theme song: Mugi no Uta by Nakajima Miyuki

Official website: http://www.nhk.or.jp/massan/

More indepth synospis: jdramas

d-addicts page: here

Starts next week!

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Sep 24th, '14, 17:53

Some latest headlines:

1 tokyoweekender
2 hearldscotland
3 news.yahoo

:-)

dhisashi
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Sep 24th, '14, 22:24

This one sounds really interesting.

I hope that Wabi-Sabi Subs decides to sub this one just like EarthBuri subbed Amachan. :D

:pray: :pray: :pray:

sfnoona

Post by sfnoona » Sep 25th, '14, 00:02

looks promising and fun!

kathia_sophia

Post by kathia_sophia » Sep 28th, '14, 12:59

Wow a thread for Massan!!! YAY!!! I've been anticipating this Asadora since it's announcement last year. After I finish Hanako to Anne, I'll be watching this one.

I can see a similarity between Ellie (Eri) and Meiko (Gochisousan) in the terms of struggle with a diferent culture as the same happened with Meiko, because of the diferences between Osaka and Tokyo. And I smell a problem within Massan's family, I hope they don't do awful things to Ellie.

I hope this one gets subbed as well.

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Sep 29th, '14, 18:15

MASSAN Week 1 "Oni no me ni mo namida" (Even demon eyes shed tears)

NHK weekly synopsis for Week 1:
"In May 1920, Masaharu Kameyama returns to Japan from Scotland, where he spent two years learning how to make whisky, bringing his Scottish wife Ellie with him. He takes her to his parents' house in Hiroshima, but they come to face bitter opposition to their marriage from his mother Sanae. While Ellie strives to win acceptance of Sanae, Masaharu is encouraged by his father Masashi to be prepared to risk his life if he pursues his dream. Masaharu and Ellie confirm their love to each other and vow to live together in Japan." ~NHK
First Episode shown today.
I like Ep 1 so far...
Charlotte Kate Fox delivers her lines mostly Japanese, and clearly for me she's doing a good job so far even if she doesn't speak the language at all. And I like her nice sincere smile, esp. when she looks at Masaharu, she looks like she's really in love.
dhisashi, I don't think we'll be subbing the drama. I'll just give a synopsis here if or whenever I catch the episodes.

:salut:
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 3rd, '15, 08:18, edited 3 times in total.

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Massan (Episode Summaries) Week 1

Post by earthcolors » Sep 29th, '14, 18:22

Massan Ep 1 synopsis (by me):
1971. The drama opens with whiskey company founder and president Kameyama Masaharu attending an awards gala named after their famous product, "Super Ellie", which is in turn named after his departed wife. The stage is adorned with a portrait of Ellie, prompting Masaharu to reminisce about their younger days...
May 1920. Kameyama Masaharu (Tamayama Tetsuji) who went to Scotland alone to learn making authentic whiskey, returns to Japan for the first time in two years. Beside him is his Scottish wife, Ellie (Charlotte Kate Fox). The two are headed to Masaharu's home in Hiroshima. Although Ellie is looking forward to meeting his family, Masaharu looks uneasy. The "odd-looking" couple, esp. blonde Ellie attract stares from countryside folks. They arrive in Takehara where Masaharu's family owns a long-established sake brewery. Ellie meets Masaharu's sisters, the eldest Chikako (Nishida Naomi) and the youngest Sumire (Hayami Akari), as well as brewery's head clerk, Shimaji (Takahashi Gentaro). Ellie, who does not know the Japanese customs, has some awkward moments. She sees the brewery but is told that women are forbidden to enter inside. Later the two are face to face with Masaharu's mother, Sanae (Izumi Pinko). Sanae makes her thoughts regarding their marriage clear right away: "I absolutely will not recognize a foreign daughter-in-law!" ~synopsis by ec
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 9th, '15, 07:20, edited 4 times in total.

dhisashi
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Sep 29th, '14, 21:22

earthcolors wrote:<big_snip>

dhisashi, I don't think we'll be subbing the drama. I'll just give a synopsis here if or whenever I catch the episodes.

Thanks for your response.
I guess that I will have to retime the Japanese closed captioning subs and Google translate them. Hopefully someone will do English subs.

:pray:

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Sep 30th, '14, 03:49

I can't find this asadora at all on the usual streaming sites :unsure:

Kz

Post by Kz » Sep 30th, '14, 06:09

I am dying to see this show!! I keep searching for it everyday.

marcolinoho

Post by marcolinoho » Sep 30th, '14, 12:39

I hope someone will sub this drama! I'm studying in Scotland now and can't wait to show this to my Scottish flatmate who is also studying Japanese!

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Sep 30th, '14, 17:38

Massan Ep 2 synopsis:
After Sanae voiced out her opposition, Masaharu argues with his mother. Ellie who has trouble sitting on her legs on the floor is quietly watching the heated exchange. Sanae scoffs at Ellie's discomfort saying, "A foreigner who can barely even sit straight is no way fit to be a Kameyama bride." Ellie also finds out that Sanae already said no to their marriage in a letter she sent to Masaharu. Masaharu kept the letter a secret from Ellie because he did not want to worry her. He plans to introduce Ellie to his relatives and to the elder priest during an upcoming memorial service for a departed grandfather. He hopes that they will see what a wonderful woman Ellie is. "If everyone likes Ellie, mother will have no choice but to agree to the marriage." As the couple are fitted with clothes for the memorial service, Sumire asks the two how they met. The two recount the events: Masaharu met Ellie when he attended a Christmas party at her house two years ago. They were teased after they found tokens inside their respective Christmas pudding. They say the man who finds the silver coin (Masaharu) and the woman the thimble (Ellie) will get married. After that, Masaharu would also come to Ellie's house to teach judo to her young brother William. Ellie also got to know Masaharu's wish to make authentic whiskey in Japan. Their friendship deepened, and love soon blossomed. Before going home to Japan, Masaharu proposed marriage, and Ellie accepted. However, there was also one person who was opposed to their marriage: Ellie's mother... (~synopsis by ec)
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 3rd, '15, 08:22, edited 2 times in total.

piciu

Post by piciu » Oct 1st, '14, 00:06

Kz wrote:I am dying to see this show!! I keep searching for it everyday.
You can find it on Pandora TV, but you have to register an account.
The quality is low... but you can watch episodes 1 and 2.

I hope for subs too. ^__^

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Oct 1st, '14, 06:54

Massan Ep. 3 Synopsis:
During meal time, Sanae forbids Ellie to eat with the family, and instead tells her to eat separately with the servants. Masaharu says he and Ellie will eat in their room from now on. Ellie informs Masaharu that even in Scotland, her mother is opposed to their marriage. "In countries where culture and customs are completely different," her mother had told her, "you may be subjected to discrimination and bullying." She was also told that no matter how hard she works, she will never be accustomed to becoming Japanese. The next day, Masaharu's father, Masashi (Maeda Gin) arrives from a trip. Sanae tries to complain to her husband about Ellie but Masashi seems uninterested and goes to work in their rice field... Masaharu meets his father in the field and both have a talk about Masaharu's dream to surpass his father's achievement in sake-making by taking on the new venture of making the first Japanese whiskey. Masashi advises his son that in order to be sure, he should ask himself if he is prepared to risk his life for his dream. Meanwhile Chikako explains to Ellie that Sanae may come off as cruel but as the mistress of the house, it is only Sanae's duty to protect the family. Ellie says she understands and that she will work harder to make Sanae accept her. Then, the day of the memorial service arrives. Before the service, Masaharu teaches Ellie how to conduct herself in front of his relatives and the priest... (~synopsis by ec)
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 3rd, '15, 08:24, edited 1 time in total.

switchgirl

Post by switchgirl » Oct 1st, '14, 10:41

This one looks interesting.

And I wanna see Tamayama Tetsuji here :)

mayezinha

Post by mayezinha » Oct 1st, '14, 23:59

Eartcolors, thanks for your summaries!
I'd like to watch this Asadora too but sadly there are no uploads yet.
Hopefully somebody takes over this project!

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Oct 2nd, '14, 05:38

Massan Ep. 4 Synopsis:
It is the day of the memorial service. All of the Kameyama relatives in attendance are surprised when they see Masaharu's blonde wife. They literally talk behind her back, assuming she does not understand Japanese ("Since they only eat meat, I wonder if Westerners are quarrelsome." ..."They'd raise their voices suddenly for no reason, right?"). They are even more surprised when Ellie turns around to greet them in Japanese. The elder priest (Koyama Shigeru) arrives. He, eyeing Ellie coldly, seems to have already been informed by Sanae about her. As the service is underway, Masaharu tries to explain to Ellie what's going on, and how to offer incense. However, Ellie, with her legs numb from kneeling seiza-style, stumbles as she tries to get up, and interrupts the service. Later during the meal, Masaharu attempts to win the priest's favor by introducing Ellie again. Ellie performs the Japanese customs of bowing and offering sake properly, but the priest want to test her further. "You want to get accustomed to being a Japanese wife? Let's see if you can pick up the beans with the chopsticks." Ellie tries but fails. Sanae smiles derisively at her. Just then, Chikako's two quarreling children, Hiroko and Masaru come in and make a mess. Ellie mediates, and is able to settle the matter splendidly in front of everyone. This time, the priest is pleased with her. "Looks do not matter as long as you have heart." However, still unconvinced, Sanae bursts out angrily, "I will not allow it! A foreigner who can't even use chopsticks isn't fit to be a Kameyama wife. I want you (Ellie) to leave!" Later, Masaharu sees his forlorn wife sitting alone at a corner. He recalls that Ellie's uncle also told him some hurtful words, to leave Scotland, and not see Ellie again... He joins her, and she manages to smile. She sings her favorite song, Auld Lang Syne softly to him. Hiroko and Masaru hear her and approach her... The guests later hear their voices singing the song in Japanese. They go and see Ellie with the children, enjoying a moment together. Sanae, too, comes out to see, still eyeing Ellie coldly...(~synopsis by ec)
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 3rd, '15, 08:26, edited 3 times in total.

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Oct 3rd, '14, 07:45

Massan Ep. 5 Synopsis:
A few days after the memorial service, Sanae tries to negotiate more amicably with Masaharu regarding Ellie. When Masaharu reminds her that everyone at the service likes Ellie, Sanae said that it was because they treated it like some "novelty" and "curiosity (or freak) show". She asks her son to choose between her and Ellie, and Masaharu chooses his wife even if he has to abandon the family over her. Ellie implores with Sanae, "I will do my best to be a good wife to Masaharu." Sanae tells her a Japanese person addresses everyone even the younger ones with the honorific "-san". Then, Sanae suggests to her son that if he will not part with Ellie, he can make her a mistress, and get a real Japanese wife. Appalled, Masaharu refuses and chooses disinheritance over such proposal.

Ellie tries to reason with Masaharu, saying he can't just discard the family that he loves so much... Masaharu goes to talk with his father. In a flashback scene at the rice field, it seems Masaharu had already asked for his father's blessing to recognize Ellie and to allow him to go to Osaka to make whiskey. However, Masashi did not give his answer at that time...

Masaharu finds his father at the brewery and offers him a sip of whiskey he brought from Scotland. Masashi finds the taste too strong, saying it is something he does not understand. Even so, his son declares, "They say that in Japan, the age of good whiskey will come, and by that time, I want people to be drinking the whiskey that I made." He says he will leave tonight and that there's nothing Masashi can say that will change his mind. Masashi does tell his son to do it, if it'll make him happy. But before his son goes, Masashi challenges him once again to a playful bout of Sumo, which they used to do when Masaharu was small. Masaharu plays along but does it half-heartedly. His father prompts him to try harder, "Since you were small, you never won, not even once. Be serious and bring it on! Do it!" As they tackle each other, Masashi opens his heart to his son, saying he wished Masaharu would take over the brewery. Masaharu begins to tear up and keeps falling down. Masashi encourages him to fight harder, "You'll be the first man in Japan, right? Who'll make delicious whiskey in the world and usher in a new era?" Sobbing, Masaharu declares that he'll risk his life to achieve it, and have Masashi taste the whiskey he'll make someday. With that, he pushes his father to the ground with all his might and wins. He shares a laugh with Masashi and thanks him.

Also with tears in her eyes, Ellie had been watching silently this touching scene between father and son from a distance. She goes to her room to try and practice picking up beans with chopsticks. A more composed Sanae comes in and shows her how to do it. Then before bowing her head down to Ellie, she says, "If you're concerned for Masaharu and his future, please go back to your country." (~synopsis by ec)
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 3rd, '15, 08:29, edited 1 time in total.

haslil

Post by haslil » Oct 3rd, '14, 18:10

It certainly sounds interesting. I can't wait to watch it!

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » Oct 3rd, '14, 21:23

It does sound interesting but I'm torn on really watching it. It's exactly the kind of "why is everybody sooo mean" storyline I usually just can't stand in any kind of media. And this for 150 episodes? Nah....

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Oct 4th, '14, 00:58

Massan Episode 6 Synopsis:
While Masaharu and his father continue their chat while drinking whiskey, Sanae takes this opportunity to persuade Ellie to leave. She tells her the hardships she underwent taking care of Masaharu. "I understand your circumstances and feelings," Sanae says, with tears in her eyes. "But a marriage that doesn't have everyone's blessing, will not be a happy one. After a few years, you too and Masaharu will regret it... No matter how hard you try to become Japanese, learn the language, use the chopsticks, dye your hair black, wear the kimono... As long as you are in this country, you won't become Japanese... only a foreigner." She cries and begs again and again for Ellie to go back to her country. As she watches Sanae, Ellie remembers her own mother and how she must have been hurting when Ellie said goodbye to her before leaving Scotland.

After his chat with his father, Masaharu looks for Ellie but she is nowhere to be found. He questions his mother who tells him, "Forget about her. I will get you a wife who's appropriate for this house."

Next, he dashes out to find his wife. He sees her in time boarding a passenger truck presumably on its way to the train station. He runs through a shortcut and is able to stop the truck. He begins to sing "Auld Lang Syne" to her. Ellie tries to explain why she has to go. "I love you so much, Masaharu. But I've come to understand too well how your mother feels. I threw away everything and came to Japan. But there is one thing I regret. I... wasn't able to consider how my own mother felt... I faced down her objections and left for Japan. It's... just so sad." She asks him not to cut off ties with his parents, and to cherish his mother. "If I'm here, you and your mother will not get along. That is why, I'm leaving." Masaharu tells her it's fine if she doesn't become Japanese. "You're fine the way you are... You told me, that 'Auld Lang Syne' is not a sad song of farewell. That it's a song to celebrate the reunion with loved ones..."

A flashback scene shows that on the morning of Masaharu's departure, Ellie serenaded him outside his window with that song. "Take me to Japan with you," Ellie had told him. Both ran away happily, hand in hand.
"Don't let go of my hand," he said back then, and repeats it to her this time. The two embrace as other passengers from the truck watch and are moved by this scene.

Narrator: "Masaharu and Ellie confirmed their love for each other. However, on the road which the two are headed to, it seems more difficulties lie in wait." (~synopsis by ec)
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 3rd, '15, 08:32, edited 3 times in total.

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Oct 4th, '14, 01:54

Week 1 is done. Average ratings for the 1st week is 21.8% which is high.(source)
So far, what's your verdict?
I enjoyed the first week. Mainly, I (and it seems everyone else) was more curious how Charlotte Kate Fox, or CKF did in the drama. Considering Hollywood has a different acting style ("act like you're not acting"), you could tell she had some slight "adjusting" to do with hers, probably to make it more acceptable for Japanese viewers. Though I haven't watched her other works, I particularly noted the softness or gentleness of her voice, and wonder if it's one of the things she was told to do.
About the week's title, they're all in the form of proverbs. Week 1 is "Oni no me ni mo namida" (Tears even in devil's eyes)
It actually means "The hardest of hearts can be moved to tears or pity." At first, I thought it was about Ellie but turns out to be the mom. It wasn't due to pity though.
What I also enjoy watching are the pictures of interracial couples (Japanese and non-Japanese) shown at the end of every episode. I have a friend like that, living in Japan. I hope he'll be in one of those pics. ^^
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 3rd, '15, 08:34, edited 1 time in total.

Kz

Post by Kz » Oct 4th, '14, 05:46

I enjoy the show very much. I am hoping someone will upload better resolution version here.

This show is not about "everybody is so mean". That's only few portion of it. (I have read the synopsis up until episodes 30), so, don't be discouraged about that part.

I don't think Charlotte Kate Fox (an actress who does Ellie) is adjusting her acting style for Japanese audience, but she is acting as how Ellie should be. I saw her talking as herself in few interviews and she seems to be a very sincere and gentle person.

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Oct 6th, '14, 09:13

Because of the typhoon, there is no Ep7 today. News was shown instead. Ep7 and 8 will be shown tomorrow.
The "Ep7" JP subs in the jpsubbers site is the transcript of the newscast. Hope it will be corrected to avoid confusion.

Anyway, here is the NHK weekly synopsis...
Massan Week 2: "Wazawai Tenjite Fuku To Nasu" (Turn one's misfortune into good account/good fortune/one's advantage)
"Massan (Masaharu) and Ellie leave for Osaka, hoping for the day to come when Sanae accepts their marriage. Massan is greeted with enthusiasm at Sumiyoshi Brewing Company where he works, however, the welcoming mood is swept away as he tells Daisuke, company's president, about his marriage to Ellie. In fact, Daisuke was planning to adopt Massan to marry his daughter Yuko. Ellie tries to clear up the misunderstanding, but comes to face insidious bullying from Yuko. Seeing Ellie face up to hardships, Massan motivates himself once again to strive for his dream."(~synopsis by NHK)
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 3rd, '15, 08:35, edited 1 time in total.

dhisashi
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Oct 6th, '14, 15:25

Kz wrote:I enjoy the show very much. I am hoping someone will upload better resolution version here.
<big_snip>.
ap is here: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/torrents ... rch=massan

:D

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Massan (Episode Summaries) Week 2

Post by earthcolors » Oct 7th, '14, 05:59

Massan Ep7 Synopsis:
Since Sanae won't accept Ellie, Masaharu has decided to leave the house with his wife, and go to Osaka. He thanks his parents and says goodbye. Ellie reiterates her promise to work hard and be a good wife. With a painful look on her face, Sanae does not say anything and goes off to her room. Masashi, on the other hand, asks Ellie to take care of his son, and to not worry about Sanae. "Don't come back until you've made good whiskey."

At the train station, Sumire catches up to the couple before departure. She was tasked by Sanae to bring chopsticks to Ellie. Ellie explains to a confused Masaharu that it means Sanae is probably saying to her, "Please study how to use chopsticks properly." During the train ride, the couple happily chat about their future together. Ever since she was prompted by Sanae, Ellie has been calling Masaharu with the honorific "-san". But she finds it too long, so she decides to call him "Massan" instead.

They arrive in the bustling city of Osaka. They're headed to Massan's work place, the Sumiyoshi Brewery. He tells Ellie that his boss and his wife are nice people. "His daughter, Yuko-san is the same age as you so you two will get along well." He explains that Sumiyoshi Brewery is one of the few companies in the country that makes wine liqeur, but has yet to make authentic Scottish whiskey.

Over at the brewery, company president Tanaka Daisaku (Nishikawa Kiyoshi) and his employees have stopped work operations to celebrate Massan's return. They happily welcome him back with cheers. Daisaku's lovely wife, Kayo (Natsuki Yoko) and daughter, Yuko (Aibu Saki) greet him excitedly as well. But everyone's smiles turn into surprised reactions when Ellie is introduced to them. For some reason, an upset Yuko immediately leaves without saying anything... (~synopsis by ec)
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 9th, '15, 07:21, edited 2 times in total.

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Oct 7th, '14, 08:39

Massan Ep8 Synopsis:
Massan, seated with Ellie, is having a welcome back party thrown by his boss and co-workers at the brewery. He makes a speech about his resolve to make authentic Scotch whiskey. Narrator: "At this time, only colored imitations of whiskey is being made in Japan." Then he shows a bottle of the "beautiful, amber-colored, fragrant, smoky flavored" unblended Scotch whiskey. He is about to make a long fiery speech about whiskey but was told to save it for later. It seems they are more interested to hear from Ellie. They hear Ellie's pet name for her husband. One worker says, "Then can I call you Massan, too?" "Aho (Fool)! No, you can't." Massan says to him. Ellie asks what "aho" means and she was told that it's some kind of Osaka greeting, like "Yo" or "Hey".

Then a visitor arrives unannounced, bearing sashimi gifts for their party. It was Kamoi Kinjiro (Tsutsumi Shinichi), the president of a wine company, Kamoi Shoten, whose product is Taiyo (Sun) Wine. He comes off somewhat brash but in a good-natured sense. He meets Massan and Ellie. Ellie greets back by saying, "Aho", eliciting an awkward atmosphere. But Kinjiro does not mind it and takes Ellie in his arms in a welcoming embrace, irking Massan. Then Kinjiro sees the bottle of whiskey and takes a small sip. Without commenting about the taste, he then suddenly leaves as fast as he came in.
Narrator: "This Kamoi Kinjiro will greatly affect Masaharu and Ellie's fate in the coming future."

The party continues but Massan and Daisaku are called by Kayo to have a private talk with a pouting Yuko. Kayo asks a confused Massan why he brought home a foreign wife, considering he is supposed to marry Yuko. Ellie who is eavesdropping suddenly panics and comes in, to ask what's going on. "How could you be engaged to Yuko when you're not even lovers?"

Over at the party, Managing Director Yaguchi (Shirai Akira) tells the others what the meeting is all about... Meanwhile, Massan who is also clueless about the whole thing is reminded by Daisaku regarding what they talked about before he left for Scotland. In a flashback scene, Daisaku who is obviously fond of the hard-working Massan, proposed to send him to Scotland to make whiskey (and will pay for his trip and expenses). In return, after Massan comes back, he and Massan will make whiskey together in Japan. Then Daisaku added, "I'll leave everything to you." Massan said yes enthusiastically. However, he did not understand that "everything" included taking care of the company as well as Yuko...

Massan had thought that he was referring only about whiskey-making. Ellie still could not understand the idea of marriage between people who are not lovers. Massan explains that in Japan, parents arrange marriages for their children, for the sake of their companies' future. Massan says he should properly apologize to Kayo and Yuko tomorrow.

Despite the misunderstanding, Massan and Ellie are staying at the Tanaka house. That night, he tells her wants to leave the Tanaka house as soon as possible and find a home for Ellie and himself. But first, he plans to start making whiskey tomorrow... (~synopsis by ec)
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 3rd, '15, 14:11, edited 2 times in total.

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Oct 7th, '14, 09:10

Some trivia some which you may know by now:
1. Massan and Ellie are based on the founder of Nikka Whiskey, Taketsuru Masataka and his wife Rita Cowan.
2. Sumiyoshi Brewery is said to be based on spirit company "Settsu Shuzu" founded by Abe Kihei.
3. Kamoi Shoten seems to be based on Suntory Co., founded by Torii Shinjiro.

Some interesting background readings:
1. japantimes
2. whiskywall

:alcoholic:

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Oct 8th, '14, 07:24

Massan Ep.9 Synopsis:
The next day, Massan with Ellie comes up to Yuko's room to apologize. Yuko, who is with Kayo, is still upset and refuses to hear of it. She brings up the time he and Yuko went on a 'date' to see a vaudeville show a week before he left for Scotland. Massan remembers going because Kayo had two extra tickets but Kayo says she purposely bought those tickets for them two. Yuko reminds him of their conversation. In a flashback scene, she asked, "Once (we) marry, how many kids do you want to have?" Massan says he likes kids and wants to make a baseball team. "So I want 9!"... That is, why Yuko says, she had been preparing for that by eating a lot in order to have a body that's strong and fit enough to bear 9 children! Massan says he had misunderstood, thinking it was a rhetorical question and that she meant if he could marry "anyone"... Yuko became more upset and told them to leave the room.

Outside, Ellie asks him why everyone knows about the "engagement" except him. He answers, "It's because my head is full of nothing but thoughts of whiskey." Before he goes off to work which is just adjacent to the house, the two embrace in front of amused workers coming in to work as well. Ellie goes back to the house, but there is a look of hesitation before entering.

Massan begins to work on his whiskey-making project with high spirits. His co-workers Yoshiko, Ikeda, and Matsubara check up on him inside his "whisky lab". They marvel at the pictures of the Scottish distillery Massan apprenticed in, books on whiskey-making, and diagrams of the pot still used to distill spirits. He explains briefly the steps in making whiskey (see here). Then Kamoi Kinjiro who had been eavesdropping on Massan's lecture, comes in and joins the discussion. Massan says in order to make a distillery he will need to have pot stills built that's made of copper and 2.7 meters high. And not only that, after distillation, the whiskey will still have to be aged in barrels for 5 to 6 years. When asked Kinjiro's reason for his visit today, he says he wants to taste test some French wine he was considering selling. Even though his Taiyo Wine is selling well, he claims a fortune-teller told him to "go on the offensive" with his business. But since Daisaku is not available, Kinjiro asks Massan. It seems Kinjiro is more interested in what the younger man thinks anyway.

Kinjiro makes Massan taste two brands of wine: a pure French wine and one that Kinjiro had "tweaked a bit". While Massan is tasting it, Kinjiro is carefully taking note of his reactions. Massan says the French one is delicious while the other one's astringency had been diluted and sweetened with some kind of sweetener. "Maple syrup, I think but not sure... Am I wrong?" Instead of answering, Kinjiro changes the topic to Massan's life. He starts asking why Massan wants to make whiskey in Japan. Massan says he fell in love with whiskey when Daisaku brought him to a bar and let him have a taste of the liquor. For him, it was "like an electric current went through my body." Daisaku told him that time, "Whiskey is the gentleman's alcohol." Massan suddenly goes back to the topic of the wine. "French wine obviously tastes better. Why did you have to come here to ask that?" Kinjiro answers, "What is the 'the real thing' anyway? Japanese people are happy to drink something that's made in Japan. Isn't that the real Japan?"

Still in her room, Yuko remembers the event that led to the "engagement" that did not exist. It was Daisaku who had suggested to Yuko about marrying Massan. "As a researcher he's a promising lad but has a bit of a naive side." She did look interested and agreed to the match but then Massan misunderstood it all...

Meanwhile, Ellie is in their couple's room, studying the Osaka dialect... [~synopsis by ec)
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 3rd, '15, 08:50, edited 2 times in total.

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Oct 9th, '14, 02:35

Massan Ep. 10 Synopsis:
While Ellie practices picking up beans with chopsticks, she remembers Yuko, and her wasted effort to be healthy in order to bear 9 kids. She surmises that Yuko had worked hard because she probably loves Massan.

Yuko is in the kitchen with the other servants preparing lunch for everyone, including the factory workers. Ellie comes to see if she could help but Yuko does not want her assistance. Yuko goes to the veranda in an effort to ignore her but Ellie still follows and sits next to her. She resolves to have a talk with Yuko... Ellie begins by apologizing sincerely if her marriage to Massan had hurt Yuko. She asks that she be kind to Massan whose dream is to make whisky in her father's company. Then, she asks if Yuko likes Massan. "You really don't know anything about Japanese ways," Yuko answers coldly. "I was only told to get married. I was only preparing to get married, it does not mean I either love or hate him. That's a Japanese marriage." Then she adds that she fully understands that Ellie and Massan's marriage is out of love, and that Massan dreams of making whiskey. Ellie is so happy to hear it and thanks her. Yuko gives her a smile but it disappears as soon as Ellie leaves to tell Massan about it.

Over at Massan's whiskey lab, Daisaku is also sampling the wines that Kinjiro brought earlier. He agrees that the tweaked wine is sweeter than the original. Massan thinks that the original should be sold as it is. "Yeah but," his boss says, "that president adjusts it to fit the tastes of the Japanese, and I agree with him. It's true he does things his way." He adds that Kinjiro is generally bold, assertive and willful, but if one offends a business client: "A small factory like ours? You won't be able to do things around here anymore." Then an excited Ellie comes in, and embraces Massan (who in turn, advises her not to do "Western" public display of affection inside his workplace). Ellie informs her husband about her talk with Yuko and that she said, "Wakatta" (which can also be interpreted as "I'm okay with it"). The three go to see and thank Yuko.

They find Yuko still sitting at the veranda. Kayo comes out to see what the fuss is about. Yuko does say she is willing to forget about it. However she adds that she had refused all other marriage proposals for the past two years and had been preparing to be wed to Massan. And all those two years worth of wasted time and effort is not fair so in order to balance it out, she wants Massan to give up what's most important for him, too. "I want him to give up his dream of making whiskey once and for all, to leave this company, and to pay back all his study expenses that the company had paid for." Massan once again pleads to be forgiven. He asks to be allowed to continue working at their company, and that he and Ellie will move out to a rented house. But Yuko is adamant and reiterates her demands. "My betrayed feelings will not be settled. If you absolutely want to make whiskey, please do it somewhere else." She leaves, with her father still pleading with her. Kayo tells Ellie and Massan, "Because of you two, my family has become a mess!" Massan cannot help but weep while Ellie tries to comfort him.

That night, Massan stays up late in his lab, looking sadly at his distillery diagrams. Ellie watches her husband worriedly through the window, remembering the time he told her of his dream to make the first Japanese whisky. Now, that dream is in danger of disappearing... (synopsis by ec)
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 3rd, '15, 08:54, edited 1 time in total.

dhisashi
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Oct 9th, '14, 14:47

Please keep these coming.

I can at least watch the episodes without English subtitles if I have these synopsis beforehand. Only through episode 6 since the videos are behind your postings but so far an interesting drama.

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Oct 10th, '14, 07:16

Massan Ep11 Synopsis
A flashback scene is shown of Massan's time in Scotland. He is seen at a certain Scotch distillery that made the whisky which he drank and fell in love with in Japan. He begged them to hire him and won't need to get paid for his work. At first, they refused but Massan persisted and begged and even waited outside in the rain. The owner, moved by his determination, finally allowed him in.

Massan studied and worked in the distillery. He was taught to strike the pot-still with a mallet in order to determine the progress of the distillation by listening to the reverberation. He also painstakingly took notes and drew diagrams. During his breaks, he'd spend time with Ellie, learning Scottish songs, and talking about his dream... Then, despite the objections of Ellie's mother and uncle, the couple still eloped and ran off to Japan to make whiskey. But now...

Back to the current scene: Ellie comes inside Massan's lab to comfort him. She says it's her fault that he's having so many troubles, at his home and at work. He tells her it's not her fault, but worries about quitting his job... Ellie tells him not to quit since he didn't make a promise to marry Yuko. "Why do you need to quit? You worked so hard in Scotland. You made a promise to your dad, too. That is why, you must never give up your dream of making whiskey!" Buoyed up by wife's encouragement, Massan decides not to give up and work hard to show everyone that he can and will make whisky.

The next morning, a cheerful Ellie tries again to offer her help in the kitchen but still, Yuko ignores her. Yuko is irritated by Ellie's cheerful voice from the dining room, so she secretly puts plenty of soy sauce in Ellie's bowl of miso soup. Ellie tastes her soup, and notices it but does not say a word.

Later, Massan delivers Taiyo Wine to Kinjiro's store. Kinjiro who still mistakenly calls him, "Tsuruyama-kun" lets Massan inside his posh office which is decorated with good luck statues of tigers (Kinjiro's Chinese zodiac sign). Aside from wine, there are other upcoming products displayed as well. Kinjiro's secretary, Kurosawa (Shiga Kotaro) explains to Massan some of these Japan-made, Western-style products: tea bags, and a tar-removing toothpaste for smokers. Kinjiro wants Massan to tell him more about his plans in making whiskey. "Are you going to use domestically produced barley? From where will you get it? How many units of barley will you need to make whiskey?" Massan only gives vague and uncertain answers. Kinjiro scoffs at Massan's lack of planning and studying on the business/production side of things. "What are you dawdling for? If you're gonna do it, do it now! It makes me so frustrated whenever I see someone put off the things that can be done now!" Massan asks him if he is interested in whiskey-making. But he is told to leave now because Kinjiro has turned his full attention to his pet goldfish. It turns out, the gold fish is the "fortune-teller" he was talking about before (Kinjiro counts the number of taps its fin makes, when making a decision).

At the Tanaka house, Ellie is singing "Furusato no Sora" (the Japanese version of the Scottish song, "Comin 'Thro' the Rye") while hanging the laundry. She informs a passing Yuko that she will be cooking dinner for the family tonight. Yuko says she'll be looking forward to it.(~synopsis by ec)
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 3rd, '15, 08:58, edited 1 time in total.

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Oct 11th, '14, 07:24

Massan Ep. 12 Synopsis:
For dinner, Ellie makes Scotch Broth, a dish that her mother taught her. After making sure it tastes perfect, she leaves it in the kitchen, and plans to reheat it later before dinner. However, Yuko again makes it hard for her. She sabotages her work by putting in a bowlful of salt...

That night, Ellie, Massan, Yuko and her parents partake of Ellie's dish (which according to Kayo looks like "nikujaga" or meat and potatoes). Of course, after tasting it, they find it too salty. "Is this the traditional cooking your mother taught you?" Kayo asks Ellie. "This doesn't seem to suit the Japanese tastebuds." Massan defends his wife's cooking by saying this is not how she cooked it before. With a pained expression, Ellie looks knowingly at Yuko, who says with a pained expression on her face: "Can't be helped. The ingredients, the kitchen, everything is different from what she's used to." She goes to the kitchen to make udon soup for everyone. Daisaku looks at his daughter, seemingly suspicious too...

Later, Massan asks Ellie if Yuko was the one who ruined her dish. Ellie says it's fine and to leave it alone. "She loves you that's why she's mean to me. But I love you more. That is why I will not lose to her." Then they hear Daisaku's angry voice...

They go up to Yuko's room to see Daisaku reprimanding his daughter, making her confess that she's responsible for the ruined dinner. Kayo tries to defend Yuko but this time, Daisaku will not let it pass. "Try to be in Ellie's shoes! From a far distant foreign country, away from her parent and siblings, she came here alone!" Yuko argues back by saying Ellie chose love over family. "You said the role of the child is to take care of the parent. That person abandoned her parent and eloped to Japan, didn't she? She trampled on her parent's wishes and just selfishly lived her life! Why do you accept such a person? If that's the case, I might as well choose love (over family), too." Despite the hurtful words, Ellie says sorry to Yuko but it infuriated Yuko even more. "Will you drop that goody-two-shoes act! Your crappy Japanese... what ever you say sounds fake!... You can't fool me. Someday your mask will come off. After all, you betrayed your parent. You have no filial piety whatsoever!" As Ellie listens to Yuko's tirade, she remembers again the guilt she felt for leaving her mother. It was just too much for her so she runs out of the house and into the night, crying. Massan chases after her.

She stops at a bridge over a river. Massan tells her it's his fault that she's feeling sad. And since it seems it isn't working out where ever they go, he'd be happy to go back to Scotland with her, to reunite with her mom, and make whisky there. For the first time, we see an angry Ellie. She calls her husband "Aho!" for even thinking such a thing. "I did not come to Japan with such an irresponsible feeling. I'm fine. It's fine if they can't eat the Scotch broth. It's fine if Yuko is mean to me. It's true that I want to see my mother. But... I can't." She reiterates her reason for coming to Japan, and that is to help Massan make the first whisky in Japan. There's no turning back since she already threw away her family and country for that goal. Massan apologizes and hugs his wife, promising not to lose sight of their dream.
Narrator: "Masaharu and Ellie. Still a long way to go, these two people's path towards their whiskey dreams has only just begun." (~synopsis by ec)
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 3rd, '15, 09:02, edited 2 times in total.

kathia_sophia

Post by kathia_sophia » Oct 11th, '14, 08:13

Thank you for your summaries! Even without watching this asadora, I love it already. I will be waiting for it to be subbed, for a while I will still be watching Hanako to Anne.

Do you know where can I find the ratings of the weeks for this one and also for previous asadoras? I can't find it, before JP wiki had it, but they don't appear anymore

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Oct 11th, '14, 09:28

For weekly ratings for Massan you can find it here (The average weekly rating is found at the [平均] column):
http://tvkansou.info/massann/

For Hanako to Anne:
http://tvkansou.info/hanakotoann/

For Gochisousan:
http://tvkansou.info/gotisousan/

This just in:
Arashi will once again host this year's Kouhaku Utagassen for the 5th time (heading the white team) along with Hanako to Anne's Yoshitaka Yuriko (heading the red team).
Source: here

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Massan (Episode Summaries) Week 3

Post by earthcolors » Oct 13th, '14, 06:52

NHK's Weekly Synopsis:
Massan Week 3: "Sumeba, miyako" (There's no place like home; To every bird, his own nest is best)
"Massan, after moving into a new house, gets down to make a business plan for the production of whisky. Meanwhile, Ellie, who struggles to learn how to cook rice for Massan, seeks Yuko's advice and the two gradually develop a friendship. One day, Massan and Ellie have a big quarrel over Kamoi, the owner of Kamoi Store who later becomes Massan's mentor. Massan complains about the difficulties of an international marriage, but is rebuked by Yuko and comes to realize that Ellie has no one to rely on except him. Massan swears to himself to protect Ellie at all costs." (~synopsis by NHK)
Massan Ep. 13 Synopsis:
After one week in Osaka, Massan has found a new home for him and Ellie. The two move out of the Tanaka house, bringing some things with them (assumingly given by the Tanakas). The Tanaka couple see them off but Yuko, seemingly sad (and probably guilty of her harsh treatment of them), watches the departing couple from the window.

Husband and wife are in good spirits as they transport their things to the new house. It turns out, the house is a quiant Western-style cottage. However, the landlord says he wasn't told that Massan's wife is a foreigner. Not liking the idea, he refuses to rent the house to them. The couple has no choice but to look for a new house. Since they can't return to the Tanakas, Massan decides that they stay at an inn for the meantime.

They stop first at an eatery called "Kohinobori". Since Massan loves the cooked rice served to them, Ellie promises to cook good rice for him. Then he hears the shopkeeper, Haru (Oikawa Izo) talk in Hiroshima dialect, and introduces himself. Noticing their luggage parked outside the shop, Haru assumes they have skipped town, possibly to escape from debt. His daughter Aki admonishes her dad saying no one skips town during the daytime, only at night. After learning that the couple is looking for a house, she points at a poster advertising a certain house-for-rent.

Massan and Ellie go to see this house. It's small but decent. A woman (Hamada Mari) comes and asks who they are and what they want. She seems fascinated with Ellie, and even communicates a bit in English. She's surprised to learn that Massan is her husband: "You mean this shinkikusai (annoying/boring) Japanese guy?" She tells them to see the inside of the house but when they ask if she is the landlady, she does not answer... Massan and Ellie like the house. The woman orders them to hurry up and get their things inside, and even tells them where to place their furniture. As she orders them to move the bed towards the veranda, she suddenly yells, "No! This is the kitamakura" (taboo of lying with one's head pointed to the north since it is the position of dead bodies). Massan finds it strange that this "landlady" is butting in on how they should arrange their own furniture. "Landlady who?" she asks. "I'm not the landlady. Anyway I'll talk with the house's caretaker." Laughing, she leaves behind the bewildered couple.

Later, the couple meets with Yoshi, the caretaker who agrees to lease the house to them. "Since Taneko-san referred you two, I don't have any doubts..." Massan: "Taneko... is that her name?" Yoshi: "Huh? Isn't she your acquaintance?" Massan asks what kind of person is Taneko. Yoshi only bursts out laughing and says "She sure is lively, isn't she?"

That night, Ellie eagerly tries to cook rice but she put in too much water and it ended up soggy. She is disappointed with her failed first attempt but Massan advises her not to be impatient and learn to do things slowly.

The next morning, as Ellie hangs the laundry at the garden in their new home, she hears a visitor. She looks to see Yuko standing outside... (~synopsis by ec)
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 9th, '15, 07:22, edited 2 times in total.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Oct 13th, '14, 09:40

Interview with Charlotte: http://www.backstage.com/interview/how- ... ous-japan/

I just saw a picture of her in deep brown hair, I wonder what's her hair real color? :roll

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Oct 14th, '14, 03:19

English subs are here:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=158935
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 3rd, '15, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.

dhisashi
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Oct 14th, '14, 05:08

earthcolors wrote:English subs are here:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_158935.htm
Heiwa Fansubs are subbing this one. They do quality subs just like Earthcolors and partners.

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Oct 14th, '14, 06:34

Massan Ep.14 Synopsis:
Yuko refuses to come inside and only wants to deliver a housewarming gift (a husband and wife set of rice bowls). "I lost to you," she says to Ellie. She heard from her father about the sacrifices Ellie made in coming to Japan, and in a way, apologizes for the many rude words she said to her. She also says she will give up Massan completely. All's well except that Ellie forgot that she's cooking rice, so this time, it got burnt.

Finally, Massan has finally started his whiskey-making experiment. His co-workers and boss come to see it. He had first made the wort (the source of the alcohol) by germinating the barley, then crushing the malt into fine pieces, and mixing it with hot water. He uses a kettle in place of a pot-still, and domestic barley to see if it'll work. However, managing director Yaguchi says even if it'll work, they cannot start on a new business venture if it's not approved by the shareholders of the company. He seems cross with Massan, whom he thinks is just "playing". "That is not part of a normal course of business, so if you're gonna do that, do it during off-hours!" He also tells him to submit a feasibility plan after a week, to which Massan promises to do.

Ellie comes to Massan's workplace to bring him his bento lunch that consists of the burnt rice. She informs him about Yuko's visit, and asks him if he can teach her how to cook rice tonight. But Massan says he'll be working late on his whisky experiment. From a distance, Yuko has been watching the couple. Though she did say she had given up on Massan, the look of hurt on her face seems to say otherwise.

Still wanting to learn how to cook rice, Ellie goes to Yuko's kitchen and asks for her help. Probably still hurting at what she saw earlier, Yuko refuses. "Even such a thing... why should I be the one to teach you that?" But, begrudgingly, she does give advice on how to do it, albeit in a heavy Osaka dialect: "When it starts to trickle, apply medium puff-puffs. Even if the baby's crying, don't take off the lid." Then she adds in rough-sounding English: "Da heat iz da secret!" Ellie of course does not understand.

When she comes home, a neighborhood policeman, trying to take note of the new residents, is standing in front of their house. He asks Ellie for her and her husband's names. Ellie is having trouble with the different Japanese words for husband (goshujin, otto) and wife (okusan, tsuma). He writes their names in his notebook, and asks Ellie to confirm it the spelling but she says she cannot read kanji. So he says he'll introduce her to a certain Catherine...

The policeman takes Ellie to a Christian church. She finds this "Catherine" teaching church songs to a group of children. It turns out to be Taneko. Taneko asks to be called "Mrs. Catherine" inside the church. She shows a pic of her husband Charlie, a clergyman from England. "He's back home right now, because his father is sick. 'Taneko' sounds weird as a name for Charlie's wife, isn't it? That's why I changed my name to Catherine." Since Taneko/Catherine is Ellie's "senpai" in the area of international marriage, "You can ask me anything," she said.

Later, Taneko teaches her the different characters for "husband" and "wife". Ellie learns that the character for husband is "shujin" [主人 = "Main" + "Person"] which means "patriarch" ("like King in English"). On the other hand, "wife" or "yome" [嫁 = "Woman" + "house"], according to Taneko is like a "house maid"...

That night, Massan stays late working on his whiskey experiment. After filtering the wort, he adds yeast to begin the fermentation, which will result in sugars that are needed in the alcohol. When he comes home, he finds Ellie patiently waiting for him at the dinner table. She shows the rice bowls Yuko gave but he is more interested in the dinner that Ellie made (the rice is still soggy though). She asks about the husband and wife's status in Japan. "Is the husband great? The wife is not so great?" Massan assures her that for him, a husband and wife are of equal status, and "shares the work 50-50". Happy to hear that, Ellie lovingly teases her husband while they start eating... (~synopsis by ec)
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 3rd, '15, 09:22, edited 2 times in total.

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Oct 15th, '14, 13:01

Massan Ep.15 Synopsis
The next day, the Kameyamas have an early morning visitor. It is Kamoi Kinjiro, bearing a housewarming gift: a tiger statue for good luck and safety. He hugs Ellie again, commenting that she does not smell of perfume anymore but of soy sauce. Massan of course does not appreciate it: "Why do you hug and smell someone's wife each time you come?" Kinjiro also brought two bottles of imported perfumes, and asks Ellie which bottle she likes best. She likes both so Kinjiro gives both bottles to her. Massan tries to protest but Kinjiro only dismisses it and continues to tease him by calling him a "shinkikusai guy". Before he leaves, he tells Ellie to come to him anytime if there is any trouble. Massan wonders what Kinjiro meant by that. Then Ellie remembers the rice she was cooking and it got burnt again. Massan advises her again to take it slow.

Later, she gives a loving hug to her husband outside the house before he leaves. The neighbors, Umeko and Momoko are shocked by this "scandalous" public display of affection. Ellie wants to befriend them, and to ask about rice-cooking. However, probably feeling uncomfortable dealing with a foreigner, they run away.

So Ellie tries again to ask Yuko. Yuko: "Why do you insist on cooking rice? Why don't you just go to an eatery?" Ellie pleads with her, saying she wants to learn so she can cook rice which Massan loves very much.

Massan is at his lab, together with his boss and co-workers. They are all excited because it was time for the distillation process. After fermenting the wort for 2 days and 2 nights, the resulting liquid is now distilled in the kettle (it is heated, then condensed into vapor, then chilled to become the distilled liquid). The quality of this liquid will greatly affect the taste of the whisky. Ikeda tries to taste this "raw" liquid, and got his tongue burnt. Massan says it is still transparent and has the alcoholic strength of 65% to which the others comment as being too strong. He says it will become drinkable and amber-colored after it has matured in a barrel.

Meanwhile, Yuko finally gives in and teaches Ellie rice-cooking: from washing the rice, measuring the water for boiling, to controlling the heat ("low heat first; when steam comes out, increase the heat; when the water starts to trickle over, decrease the heat; do not open the lid even if it's bubbling"). They talk while waiting for the rice to cook. Yuko admits she is jealous of Ellie for bravely starting a new life, and doing what she wants. She asks which she likes better, Scotland or Japan. Ellie answers "both". She finds Japan interesting (food, clothes, people). "Scotland experienced hardships in war (WW1) while Japan is peaceful. For some reason, I feel that Japan will be my home..." Yuko says Japanese men often seek wives in order to have someone cook and clean house for them. But Ellie tells her that Massan had already assured her that they will share the work together, 50-50. Then when the rice was done, and perfectly cooked, a thankful Ellie happily hugs Yuko... (~synopsis by ec)
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 3rd, '15, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Oct 16th, '14, 07:41

Massan Ep.16 Synopsis
Both Ellie and Massan are working hard on their respective goals: Massan to make a production plan for whisky, and Ellie, to make delicious rice for Massan...

After writing down the plan, Massan gives copies to Daisaku and Yaguchi. After reading, Yaguchi says it's perfectly written but having an estimated total cost of 45,000 yen: "Selling a bottle for 5 yen, you can recover your initial investment after 10 years... Isn't that too big a deficit?" Yaguchi asks how will they commercialize it, and where will they get the funds? Daisaku agrees and tells Massan to cut down on the numbers so that shareholders will approve it, and for the bank to grant them a loan. So Massan is told to resubmit a more feasible plan in two days.

Meanwhile, Yuko is looking at a picture of a man for a marriage prospect. Though he appears handsome and decent, it seems she is not pleased about the situation...

Over at Ellie's, she is able to finally make rice perfectly. Catherine drops by, bearing a gift of bread she bought from Semba. The neighbors, Momoko and Umeko are nearby, surprised that Catherine is friends with the foreigner. "I'm the one who referred her," she says toughly to the two. "If you're gonna give her a hard time, I will not let it pass!" Ellie invites Catherine inside to show her the rice. The two neighbors join in as well. Ellie serves a bowl of rice each to her three visitors. They all say it's delicious. Ellie: "Will Massan be happy with it?" Catherine: "Very happy! His cheeks will fall (deem it delicious) from that shinkikusai face!"

After his meeting, Massan racks his brain for a more feasible business plan. He notices a metallic pan and then, looks at his clay kettle. He seems to have thought of something. Hours later, he is still at the office, crunching the numbers for the business plan. Co-worker Yoshiko (Eguchi Noriko) comes and teasingly disturbs his work. She tells him he's been working late a lot and shouldn't neglect his wife. He says that now is a crucial time, and that Ellie understands. She wishes him good luck. Then an excited Daisaku suddenly bursts in, looking for Massan. He takes Massan to a restaurant, where the managing director of Namihana bank is drinking with two geishas. Daisaku wants Massan to entertain the bank manager so he'll approve the funding for their whisky venture. An uncomfortable Massan tries to refuse, saying that his wife is waiting for him at home. But Daisaku would not hear of it.

So Massan has no choice but to join bank manager Sasazuka for dinner and drinks. Sasazuka asks Daisaku if Yuko is interested in the marriage arrangement with his subordinate "Fujioka-kun" (probably the one in the picture from the earlier scene). Daisaku answers she has not decided yet. Then Daisaku orders Massan to explain about the whisky plan. Massan tries but his explanation is too detailed and boring. Sasazuka invites him to drink some liquor but Massan mistakenly chugs it all down. Then when asked to sing a song, Massan at first refuses. But not wanting to displease Sasazuka, he gets up to sing Katyusha's Song, while doing a head stand with his legs held up by Daisaku. Nearby curious guest Kinjiro (also being entertained by two geishas) comes in to see what the ruckus is all about. He greets everyone including Sasazuka whom he seems to be in good terms with. "That guy with the shinkikusai face has a foreigner wife," he informs Sasazuka. To Massan: "Is this okay? You're neglecting Ellie, not coming home, and going around womanizing." Massan: "I am not womanizing! I am devoted to Ellie!" Kinjiro calls him boring and lacks humor. "A shinkikusai guy like you is like someone who'll hit his head on the edge of tofu and dies" (Idiom: dumb person who takes things literally). Massan tries to argue back but his head stand posture is making him dizzy. Kinjiro as usual dismisses his protests and leaves. Nevertheless, it seems Sasazuka is delighted with Massan and finds him funny...

Later, Ellie who has been waiting for her husband, has fallen asleep with the now cold rice sitting on the table. She wakes up when she hears someone outside and goes to see. She finds Massan passed out on the ground, dead drunk... (~synopsis by ec)
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 3rd, '15, 09:37, edited 3 times in total.

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Oct 17th, '14, 11:49

Massan Ep 17 Synopsis:
Massan wakes up late the next day. He hurriedly dresses up while Ellie asks why he got drunk the previous night. He says it's for work. "If there is time to drink liquor," Ellie says, miffed, "there is time to eat meals together. I want to talk with you some more. Work is important. But private time is important too, right?" She complains about always serving and waiting on him. Massan: "I work to earn money. Your job is to protect the house." He leaves without eating breakfast (takes some bread with him instead) and without hugging his wife goodbye. Ellie is so ticked off with him, considering he hasn't tasted yet the cooked rice that she tried so hard to perfect. Then, she remembers what Yuko said about how Japanese men only marry so that they'll have someone do chores for them...

Later at the office, Yaguchi reads the plan that Massan made, this time having a greatly reduced budget, and asks about the pot stills. Massan says he plans to ask "Sado Works" to make it for them. Yaguchi comments that the master artisan there is a stubborn guy, but Massan will do his best to convince him.

Feeling neglected and lonely, Ellie remembers Kamoi Kinjiro and goes to see him. Using the address on the company matchbox Kinjiro gave to her, she tries to look for his office but gets lost in town. She tries to ask for directions, but Japanese passers-by who are too weirded out to see or talk to a foreigner, refuse to stop nor speak to her. When it begins to rain, she seeks shelter at a shop's entrance. She hears the shopkeeper comment that it's troublesome for her to be staying at the door. "She's scaring the customers away." Thankfully, Kinjiro passes by. Ellie hugs the man out of relief and they go to his office.

Ellie is inside his office and notices the bottle Kinjiro had made, based on her opinions the other day. It had qualities of both the perfume bottles that Ellie liked. He says the bottle will be used for fruit syrup he'll be selling soon. She lets him taste the rice balls she made because she wants his opinion on it since Massan hasn't had the time to taste it. Kinjiro informs her about what happened the previous night, that "for the sake of making whisky," Massan had been desperately trying to entertain a bank manager. "It's okay to overlook such a little thing, right?"

Massan is at Sado Works, the long-established maker of pots and kettles. They also make good quality copperware products. After being shown the diagrams of the 2.7 meter high pot stills, Sado, the master artisan, refuses Massan's request. "Besides, with that kind of small budget, a small factory like mine ain't gonna make a profit!... And that 'kettle' ain't got no connection to what I make!" Massan explains that the pot-stills' design is essential to the making of whisky. He begs Sado, saying his top skills can make this kind of pot. Still, Sado refuses. Then Massan remembers something and rushes off... "I'll be back!"

At the office, Kayo is scolding her husband. She is not happy about the plan of making whisky, considering the company is even late in paying their employees' salaries. "I'm not saying don't make whisky. At the very least, settle all of our debts first!" Daisaku: "It's our (men's) dream to make whisky! It's a man's ideal!" Kayo: "What ideal? If the company collapses, it'll be over for that dream too!" Yaguchi seems nodding silently in agreement with Mrs. Tanaka. Then, Massan comes in to get his bottle of whisky and rushes out again.

When he gets back to the kettle factory, he lets Sado have a taste of the Scotch whisky. The older man says he doesn't understand the taste. "Why do you have to go through all this effort to make it?" Massan replies that he wants to make genuine, and most delicious whiskey using real barley. He goes down on his knees and begs Sado...

Later, Kinjiro takes Ellie home. He teaches her the song, "Hanii no yado" (Japanese version of "Home Sweet Home"). He makes her pinkie-swear that they meet again and talk more next time. Massan comes home to see them laughing and hugging each other goodbye... (~synopsis by ec)
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 3rd, '15, 09:41, edited 1 time in total.

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Oct 18th, '14, 07:49

Massan Ep18 Synopsis:
That night, husband and wife have their first serious marital spat. Massan, upset that she's "flirting" with Kinjiro, asks why she went to see him. Ellie says she's feeling bored and lonely, and that he is spending all his time at work. "Of course, I support your dream. But which is more important, me or work?" When Massan does not answer right away she says, exasperatedly, "Fine, you're the King! I'm the maid!" She understands that he needs to work but all she wants is for him to spend some of his time with her, and to hear him compliment her for her hard work, too. "When my father, a doctor, was alive, he was very busy with work but truly prioritized his family. In Scotland, the family is the most important!" Massan: "If that's the case, go back to Scotland. It's better if you marry a Scottish man, right?!" Ellie: "How dare you say that!" Upset by their loud voices, Umeko's husband, a large beefy man who calls himself "Shincchan of Minami", tells the couple to pipe it down. Not to be cowered, Massan gets into a judo skirmish with Shincchan outside the house in front of the other neighbors who came out as well. Massan, unable to throw over his opponent, rips off Shincchan's sleeve instead. The others manage to hold back the two and Massan angrily saunters away from everyone. Catherine comes and comforts a crying Ellie.

Later, Catherine tells her to think carefully and decide if she wants to push through with this marrage or not. A divorced woman is shunned in Japanese society but it's a different case for her though. A tearful Ellie is stunned by her frank advice, and does not say anything.

Massan had retreated to his lab. Yuko and her father invite him inside the house for dinner and drinks. Daisaku thinks Massan and Ellie will indeed have a hard time being an international couple in Japan. On the other hand, Yuko defends Ellie and scolds Massan. She says he should be the one who understands Ellie the most, considering he too spent two years as a foreigner in Scotland. "You knew all that, and yet you still brought her to Japan, didn't you? She has no one to rely on except you." Her words hit him, and having come to his senses, he rushes back home...

But Ellie is not at the house. So he goes all over town searching for her. He finds her in the Christian church, playing the organ and singing "Home Sweet Home". He apologizes and says he wants to eat and be filled up with Ellie's cooking. Ellie in turn asks him to teach her Japanese.

The next day comes and all's well at the Kameyama house. For the first time in many days, they have breakfast together. Massan finally gets to taste her rice but it is still undercooked. Once again, Ellie feels frustrated but an appreciative Massan eats it anyway...
Narrator: "The path to rice-cooking is still a mystery. Hang in there, Ellie!" (~synopsis by ec)
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 3rd, '15, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Oct 19th, '14, 03:13

This is one of the best Dramas EVER! It has more meaning too because it's about a white girl running off to Japan with her man....true love there...vs broke Asian girls or old Asian girls marrying any any random white guy.

But just for the hell of it...if this was about white guy and asian girl..it would be story about guy older white guy who already become rich, can't find a girlfriend..and goes to poor asian country for young poor asian girl who do anything to get out of poverty...maybe that's next? LOL>

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Massan (Episode Summaries) Week 4

Post by earthcolors » Oct 20th, '14, 08:33

Week 4 Synopsis by NHK: "Warenabe ni toji futa" (A mended lid to a cracked pan/Every Jack has his own Jill.)
Massan is excited about the progress of his whisky production planning, however, Sumiyoshi Brewing Company faces bankruptcy due to a series of wine bottle explosions. As Massan is occupied with handling the situation, Ellie gets frustrated for not being able to spend time with him. One day, Kamoi asks Massan to work together for his company. Massan, after deep consideration, makes a decision to remain in Sumiyoshi Brewing Company without telling Ellie which creates a rift between the two. (~synopsis by NHK)
Massan Ep.19 Synopsis
Two months after she came to Japan, Ellie experiences her first Japanese summer. It seems she and her neighbors are getting along more and more. When asked how she's faring in her Japanese cooking, she answers in Osaka dialect, "I'm getting there little by little." They tell her to take her time and that she'll get there one day. They also teach her some Japanese proverbs.

Next morning, Ellie informs Massan about her learning progress on the Japanese language. Massan tells her in turn about his progress at work: the manufacturing plan of the pot stills is done and the prospect of bank loan approval seem rosy. Things seem to be looking up for the couple.

Massan goes to Sado Works. Sado, Daisaku, Yaguchi and bank manager Sasazuka are also there, discussing about the pot still plan. Yaguchi still thinks it's too expensive. When Yaguchi asked why the need to build two pot stills, Massan explains whisky had two stages of distillation. Yaguchi: "Nevertheless, where will we place such big things in the first place?" Daisaku: "Anyway, let's worry about that after the shareholders approve it at the meeting next week." Yaguchi: "You think they'll approve it?" Daisaku says not to worry, and besides, Sasazuka will do his best to see that their loan gets approved.

Over at Ellie's, her friends are gathered again discussing about cooking when somehow the topic shifts to cheating husbands. They advise Ellie that it's best to be wary when your husband is doing good in his work, because he'll become full of himself, and may get a mistress. Of course, Ellie doesn't believe Massan will cheat...

Then, bottles of liquor from other manufacturers start to explode in the summer heat. Daisaku and Massan have an emergency meeting at Kinjiro's office. Even if his Taiyo Wines haven't exploded, Kinjiro would like to put on hold his orders from Sumiyoshi Brewery, because he's worried that the same may happen to his product. Massan explains that the explosion is probably caused by residual yeast, which grows in the summer heat, causing carbon dioxide build up which breaks the bottles. When asked if bottles of Taiyo Wine are safe, Massan answers "probably". Kinjiro is not happy with his answer and demands scientific proof that his product is safe. Daisaku promises to deliver, but Massan is not up for it because he only wants to concentrate on whisky...

While Ellie is cooking dinner, Massan arrives home to fetch some books. He tells her he'll be staying overnight at work but does not tell her why. Because of issues at work, he clearly is not in the mood to talk. "I'll explain it to you as soon as it's settled." When he leaves, he does not even hug his wife goodbye. Then, Catherine comes and learns about it. "I knew it, it's suspicious," Catherine says. "He has lost interest in married life. Maybe he has a woman somewhere..." Even if it's just a joke, Ellie gets mad and tells her to leave. She tells herself that everything is fine but still...

Massan is at work and Yuko drops in to serve him an early dinner as a token for staying overnight and working on the company's current problem. He tells her about his meeting with Kinjiro and how "snake-like" Kinjiro looks at Massan like he's a prey frog. As they were laughing about it, Ellie is outside watching them. She has arrived to deliver her husband his bento dinner and a change of clothes. Massan's face comes close to Yuko's (to demonstrate how Kinjiro whispered to Massan, "I'm counting on you") but for Ellie, it looks like he is kissing her. She drops her things and it is then that the two see her. "You should have told me your wife is bringing you dinner" Yuko says to Massan but he says he did not know she'll be coming. Yuko invites Ellie for dinner at the Tanaka house...

The two women are alone in the dining room. Yuko, serving her dinner, laughs when Ellie thought she caught them "kissing." Yuko assures her that Massan will not cheat. But Ellie says she has noticed that Massan has changed. "He doesn't hug me nor say 'I love you', and we don't talk anymore." Yuko: "All men in Japan are like that." Ellie: "But he laughs happily in front of you more than he does with me." Yuko: "It's because he trusts you. He has to smile in front of others even if he's tired. But with you, he can be his true self. He can only depend on you for that." And then, Yuko's parents come home. They excitedly inform Yuko that they came from a meeting with the parents of a prospective husband for her. "They're so enthusiastic about the match and would like us all to meet as soon as possible!" Yuko only smiles and nods, but for Ellie, it seems her smile looks unnatural. (~synopsis by ec)
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 9th, '15, 07:22, edited 3 times in total.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Oct 20th, '14, 18:04

Week 3 :wub: Best episodes so far. I wasn't too impressed with the first two weeks, except the ending of Week 2. But Week 3 story really picks up!
Ellie learning how to cook rice was just the cutest thing and the climax where they had a fight was quite realistic. That fight scene was very long, but I think Charlotte did a very great job with the pronunciation and intonation of all the lines. I really can't believe she's a beginner in Japanese. Feels like she has at least lived in Japan for a year.

kathia_sophia

Post by kathia_sophia » Oct 20th, '14, 20:33

yanie wrote:Week 3 :wub: Best episodes so far. I wasn't too impressed with the first two weeks, except the ending of Week 2. But Week 3 story really picks up!
Ellie learning how to cook rice was just the cutest thing and the climax where they had a fight was quite realistic. That fight scene was very long, but I think Charlotte did a very great job with the pronunciation and intonation of all the lines. I really can't believe she's a beginner in Japanese. Feels like she has at least lived in Japan for a year.
Seeing you that excited, makes me want to watch right away. But I'm no good watching multiple things at the same time, it makes me confused... The sub team also started subbing this wonderfull asadora, so I'll give it more time and I'll continue to watch Hanako to Anne. But this one is definately on my must-see list, so thanks earthcolors for the daily synopsis, I truly appreciate that.

dhisashi
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Oct 21st, '14, 01:14

yanie wrote:Week 3 :wub: Best episodes so far. I wasn't too impressed with the first two weeks, except the ending of Week 2. But Week 3 story really picks up!
Ms Fox is a student of:
The International Phonetic Alphabet (unofficially—though commonly—abbreviated IPA) is an alphabetic system of phonetic notation based primarily on the Latin alphabet. It was devised by the International Phonetic Association as a standardized representation of the sounds of oral language.[1] The IPA is used by lexicographers, foreign language students and teachers, linguists, speech-language pathologists, singers, actors, constructed language creators, and translators.

So she does not even need to know what she is saying. She can produce the required "sounds".

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Oct 21st, '14, 07:07

Massan Ep.20 Synopsis
While doing chores at home, Catherine, Umeko, and Momoko explain to Ellie what an omiai (arranged marriage) is in Japan. Ellie says marriage in Scotland is between two people who dated at first and then fell in love. Catherine explains, in Japan, it is not a marriage between two people, but a marriage of two homes. Momoko who got married by way of omiai, says if parents decide the match, it gives everyone peace of mind when it comes to relationships between families. But Catherine and Ellie prefer getting married for love rather than for title and pedigree of one's spouse. But when Catherine hears that Yuko's prospective husband is someone from Namihana Bank (who for sure has a high salary), she changes sides and declares that money is more important than love.

Sumiyoshi Brewery is being crowded with crates of Taiyo Wine. These orders are being returned until Massan comes up with proof that they're safe. Yaguchi suggests to Daisaku to postpone the shareholders meeting about whisky since there are more pressing matters. Over at his lab, Massan is placing different wine bottles (some which he added yeast to) out in the sun to see which are the ones that explode. Daisaku expresses his worries to him about going bankrupt if it's not resolved.

Ellie is at the Tanaka house, helping with Yuko's cooking (in order to learn as well) while asking about her real feelings regarding the omiai. Yuko says she's fine with it. "He belongs to a prestigious family and company. And he promised to take over our factory, too. I have no reason to refuse... I'm going to be happy with him." But still Ellie doubts that Yuko's heart is in it.

Ellie goes to Massan's lab to talk about Yuko and the omiai. But Massan is too busy to ponder over other things. Then, two of the bottles finally explode...

Kinjiro arrives to hear Massan's explanation. Because of Sumiyoshi Brewery's filtration device, yeast in their wine are removed and that there's no residual yeast whatsoever. He guarantees Kinjiro that Taiyo Wine is safe and secure.

Then, Kinjiro invites Massan to go to some place with him in his car. Massan meets Aoyama, a young man from a Kyoto university and who is doing summer apprenticeship at Kinjiro's shop. Massan asks where is Kinjiro taking him but is only told to wait and see.

At the workers' dining area, Ikeda complains about the simple food being served to them. Yoshiko explains that Yuko has no time since she's too busy preparing for an omiai. They discuss about the prospective husband, a son of rich family that owns a shipping company, and the benefits that the union may bring about for their company. But still, Yoshiko suspects that Yuko's heart is still wavering because she might still love Massan. The men comment that the situation is not like some Yosano Akiko poem...

Meanwhile, Yuko is indeed reading Yosano Akiko's "Tangled Hair" (an unconventional book of poems about women's sexuality and emotions). Then, Ellie and Yuko's parents come to see her with the lovely kimoni she'll be wearing for the omiai. They admire her appearance. And Yuko gives a seemingly genuine smile.

Later, Ellie hears Yuko singing "Gondola no Uta", (a kind of "Gather ye rosebuds while ye may" song) while hanging the laundry. Ellie asks Yuko to teach her the song but Yuko refuses. "If I sing it, I will cry." Yuko admits she is not really looking forward to getting married. But it is "her work" or duty to marry a man who will take over the company. But the truth is, she admits she wanted to work as an English typist, and to learn more of the English language. Ellie tells her if she does not want to get married, then it's okay. Yuko says she envies Ellie. In her mind, Ellie deems that marriage for Japanese women is truly difficult indeed. (~synopsis by ec)
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 3rd, '15, 14:34, edited 1 time in total.

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Oct 22nd, '14, 06:56

Massan Ep.21 Synopsis
Aside from Kamoi Shoten, there are other shops that sell Taiyo Wine. With Aoyama serving as chauffeur, Kinjiro takes Massan to these shops. Before meeting with the shopkeepers, Kinjiro puts on a merchant's short coat over his suit in order to humble himself and not to look bossy. It turns out Kinjiro brought Massan to these shops so he can explain the safety of Taiyo Wine himself. Still, the shop owners refuse to sell any more wine because they suffered losses during the explosion incident.

Before they parted, Massan asks Aoyama why the latter plans to work at Kamoi Shoten after he graduates from college. The young man replies, he wants to be a part of Kamoi Shoten's goal to "surprise the world by producing trendy items."

At home, Ellie informs Massan about Yuko not wanting to get married but to work instead as an English typist. Ellie wants to help her but Massan says it is not their business, and that they should stay out of it.

Nevertheless, Ellie still plans to do something about it. Over at Yuko's house, her grandfather Chogoro, comes for a visit to discuss Yuko's marriage. The old man is introduced to Ellie as well. Chogoro approves of the marriage, and thinks that Fujioka Jiro (the potential husband) is a fine man. When asked if she's okay with it, Yuko replies, "If you're fine with it, then, it's fine with me, too." Ellie, who is serving tea to the family, interrupts and asks Yuko if she is true with her feelings. "You want to work don't you? Be a typist?" Kayo scolds Ellie for poking her nose into this matter. "We're her parents and we know her best... Besides, you're a foreigner, what do you know!" Kayo is so upset with Ellie and even calls her a "pest". But Yuko comes in Ellie's defense. "It is my fault. Everyone went out of his way, doing things for me out of consideration, that I wasn't able to decide properly. I'm so stupid."

Later, Ellie and Yuko are alone in the lunchroom. Yuko says her father will try to refuse the arranged marriage for her but wonders if she did the right thing. Ellie assures her that she did. Yuko admits that Ellie's words had made her question things like "Why should I do that?", and that she is glad to have met Ellie. Ellie in turn asks her to be her friend. When the employees come in for their lunch, Ellie asks where Massan is. They tell her that he's at Kamoi Shoten, and that Kinjiro had asked to "borrow" his services for the meantime. Apparently, Ellie was not told about it...

Over at Kinjiro's shop, secretary Kurosawa asks Massan to wait and be quiet while Kinjiro is "consulting" his gold fish. Afterwards, Kinjiro orders Kurosawa to summon the "members" for the meeting. He tells Massan he can attend the meeting too. Massan asks why he needs to be in it but the eccentric Kinjiro is already lost in his own world, humming a certain song... (~synopsis by ec)
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 3rd, '15, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Oct 23rd, '14, 14:58

Massan Ep.22 Synopsis
Kinjiro calls for a meeting with his employees. Present are Kurosawa, Aoyama (Kobori Masahiro), Design Chief Noriko (Tajitsu Yoko), development director Shirai (Nogi Ryosuke), Konno (Sonha) of the Publicity Department, and, for some reason, Massan. Now that retail shops are refusing to sell their main product, Taiyo Wine, Kinjiro asks for their opinions on what to do. Since they have other products, Shirai asks if the issue is enough to affect them. Konno says that without the wine, "Kamoi Shoten is like a tiger with no fangs". Aoyama relates a comment that he heard from a customer yesterday: "He said, 'Drinking liquor is scary after all. I won't drink anymore'." He suggests to withdraw the wine temporarily until things have simmered down. Konno argues that it might be viewed as a sign of guilt and could give a worse impression. Massan suggests if they come up with a new Taiyo Wine, something much better than an imitation, "people's impressions may also change". The others seem to like the idea but Kinjiro is against changing the wine. But he does agree with Massan's statement to "make the world's eyes do a complete 180 degree turn". With that idea, the others suggest to change the public's views by coming up with a new advertising campaign, promoting a safe and secure Taiyo wine, and to feature a lovely ad model who denotes health and beauty. Then Massan asks Kinjiro why was he needed in the meeting. Kinjiro says it is important for him to hear everyone's opinions including the makers (as represented by Massan) of his product.

Later at home, Ellie asks her husband why he did not inform her that he's been going lately to Kinjiro's company. He says he can't explain every little detail of his work to her. During dinner, she tries to tell him about what happened to Yuko. But Massan's mind is preoccupied with work and keeps complaining about Kinjiro. Noticing he wasn't listening at all, an annoyed Ellie excuses herself from the table.

At Kamoi Shoten, they all gather again to go over the samples of new ads for Taiyo wine, each featuring an illustration of a woman wearing a kimono and/or bottles of wine. Kinjiro does not like any of it, saying that they lack a basic factor that will draw interest. Massan, who doesn't get it, doesn't see anything wrong with the them. "But they're just pictures, aren't they?" Then Ellie arrives. Kinjiro had invited her because he wanted to ask for her opinions since her husband isn't helping at all. "It's 'cause you haven't taken any of my MY opinions!" Massan complains. Kinjiro tells him it's because his opinions are boring and suggests that he try to lighten up more. Ellie agrees. Massan: "Safe and secure wine don't need to be fun!" Kinjiro: "See? He's so boring." Amused, Ellie smiles, as the two men bicker in front of her.

When the Kameyamas are having dinner at home, Massan goes on an animated monologue, still whining and complaining about how annoyed he is at Kinjiro. Ellie laughs and thinks that Massan and Kinjiro working together looks funny and adorable. She finds it cute that her husband may act annoyed but he never seems to stop talking about Kinjiro. Massan insists that it's not the case, and that he is looking forward to going back to working at Sumiyoshi Brewery.

Meanwhile, Daisaku and Yaguchi are meeting with Sasazuka. They learn that their loan wasn't approved because of the wine explosion incidents, even if Sumiyoshi Brewery's manufactured wines did not explode...

Over at Sumiyoshi Brewery, employees are gossiping about the discontinued omiai during their break. They wonder what will happen to the company. Yoshiko: "I wonder if it's too late to look for one, or too early?" Ikeda: "A new marriage partner (for Yuko)?" Yoshiko: "For a new job."

And over at the Tanakas, Yuko's grandfather (and Kayo's father), Chogoro (Nakamura Katsuo) pays a visit again. He is upset that the omiai was discontinued, and wants them to push through with it. He tells his granddaughter: "If you refuse this marriage, the company will go bankrupt." All eyes turn to Yuko who said, "I understand." Ellie is listening silently from a distance, feeling sad for her friend. (~synopsis by ec)
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 3rd, '15, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.

DaisyX

Post by DaisyX » Oct 23rd, '14, 15:55

I've recently started watching this...on MY TV...in USA! I never used to get any Japanese channels, but I guess they added this. The first night I found it, I had gone in another room, and was suddenly like, that sounds like the boys from ARASHI. Yeah...VS ARASHI...on my tv. I'm still screaming inside about this channel. So awesome. I have it on all the time, even with boring stuff like news. I was like this when I found it...

:shocked:
:tv:
:w000t:
:faint:

ANYWAY...I have never seen any of these short daytime dramas. I think I will watch it all the way through without subs, then come get the subs. I don't know if I can wait though. It seems so interesting.

Thanks earthcolors for helping everyone understand what the episodes are about!

thepaisleyfox

Post by thepaisleyfox » Oct 23rd, '14, 16:38

If you aren't used to having TV Japan, it's because cable companies are allowing for a short free preview. Unfortunately it's only until the end of this month. :(

I've enjoyed having it and finding Massan without paying the $25/mo for the one channel.

DaisyX

Post by DaisyX » Oct 23rd, '14, 20:04

thepaisleyfox wrote:If you aren't used to having TV Japan, it's because cable companies are allowing for a short free preview. Unfortunately it's only until the end of this month. :(

I've enjoyed having it and finding Massan without paying the $25/mo for the one channel.
WHAT?!?! It's going to go away again? NNNNOOOOOOOO!!!! I was so excited I was getting it. We should start a petition or something. It's not fair they charge so much for foreign language channels. Especially because they offer some language channels for free all the time. :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Oct 24th, '14, 14:25

Massan Ep.23 Synopsis:
Finally, the omiai has pushed through. Yuko and her family meet with the prospective groom, Fujioka Jiro, and his family. Chogoro is there as well, serving as facilitator. Jiro's father, Shotaro, president of a shipping company, assures that revenues from their shipping business have greatly increased (200 times over) since before World War I. As they are talking, Yuko remembers Ellie encouraging her to pursue her dream. Jiro is told that he can ask Yuko any question so he asks why Yuko turned down the omiai the first time around. Everyone falls into silence. Yuko answers, "It's because I have a dream. Before I get married, I wish to live on my own and work..." Meanwhile Ellie is at home, worriedly thinking how Yuko is doing. She can't take it anymore and rushes out of the house to go to the Tanakas.

When she arrives there, Kayo informs her that the omiai was a success and their marriage has been decided. Ellie attempts to talk to Yuko. But Yuko who is cooking sekihan (sticky red rice served during celebrations), says she has given up. The family's company and future rest on her and she has no choice but to comply. Just like cooking rice, she says she has already placed a "lid" to cover her feelings, and won't take it off even if it's trickling over. "But at that time, when you were encouraging me, I was able to open that lid a little bit." Sad for her friend, Ellie does not say anything and tearfully tastes Yuko's sekihan.

Massan goes to a private room of a Japanese restaurant where the "audition" for Taiyo Wine's new poster is taking place. The pretty model, Midori is asked to bare her shoulders so Kinjiro can inspect them. It was a modest kind of audition wherein Kinjiro keeps his distance and looks on from another room, peeking through a sliding door. Massan is also there beside him, taking a peek as well. Kinjiro likes what he sees and gives his approval. When Massan asks why the need for bare shoulders, Kinjiro answers: "For this ad that denotes beauty and health, we need fresh firm skin that's enough to repel water." Photographer Numata begins the photo shoot which requires Midori, wearing a kimono robe to bare her shoulders while holding a glass of wine. But Kinjiro is still not satisfied with the amount of skin exposure so Midori volunteers to disrobe. Numata eagerly takes the photo...

Later, Massan chats with Numata. Numata recounts how he met Kinjiro ten years ago. "I was barely getting by at that time. The boss liked my pictures and bought them. He said 'let's work together someday.'... 10 years later, he suddenly visited me, and fulfilled his promise." It seems the more Massan gets to know the people who work with Kinjiro, the more he hears what a great boss and beloved leader he is.

He later tells Kinjiro about it. That his opinion of him (being bossy and manipulative) has changed. He realizes now that his employees are free to speak their opinions and are recognized. Kinjiro: "The best assets of a company are its people. A company cannot grow if its people don't grow." Massan thanks him for teaching him many things. Then, Kinjiro asks him if he wants to work at Kamoi Shoten. He'll even triple his salary if he does. Shocked, Massan asks why, and Kinjiro answers that it was revealed to him by the goldfish. Then he adds, "Let's make whisky together! It's not possible today, but the wave of whiskey will come to Japan in the coming years. Let's you and I ride that wave!" He says he'll wait for his answer. Massan is confused considering that Kinjiro opposed his suggestion to change the contents of the wine. Kinjiro: "It's because you said, 'it's fine.' That Taiyo wine is absolutely safe and secure. YOU were undoubtedly the one who said that. So why the need to change it?"

When he arrives home, Ellie is eager to talk to him about Yuko's predicament. However, bothered by Kinjiro's job offer, he is not in any mood to talk...

The next morning, while stacking some wine crates at work, Massan is still thinking about the offer. It seems he is greatly torn between working with Kinjiro and his loyalty to Daisaku. Daisaku meanwhile notices that something is bothering Massan... (~synopsis by ec)
This is the original Suntory ad poster that Taiyo Wine is based on:
"A advertising poster of "AKADAMA Port Wine” for Suntory Limited. This is the first nude advertising poster in Japan. Published in 1922 (Taisho 11). Directed by KATAOKA, Toshiro; featuring MATSUSHIMA, Emiko." ~ wikipedia (source)
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 3rd, '15, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.

kathia_sophia

Post by kathia_sophia » Oct 24th, '14, 18:32

About the real Ellie and Massan, which I believe they are called Rita and Masataka, does anyone here knows if they had children in real life? I wonder if they did, it would be awesome to see that in the drama.

dhisashi
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Oct 24th, '14, 19:56

kathia_sophia wrote:About the real Ellie and Massan, which I believe they are called Rita and Masataka, does anyone here knows if they had children in real life? I wonder if they did, it would be awesome to see that in the drama.
They did not have any natural children but they did adopt two children.

Rita Taketsuru (née Cowan), wife of Taketsuru Masataka.

Note: There may be "spoilers" to Massan in the two articles listed below about the Taketsuru's:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-wo ... who-877833

http://www.nippon.com/en/views/b04203/

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Oct 25th, '14, 07:58

Massan Ep.24 Synopsis
Somehow, Daisaku suspects Massan had been offered by Kinjiro so he invites him for dinner and a talk at Haru's eatery. While eating, Massan apologizes for not telling him. Daisaku, aware of Kinjiro's talent in charming and motivating his employees, was expecting that Massan too will be hooked by him. Daisaku: "If I were you, I'd go and work for Kinjiro since he has better management and be able to make whiskey. First of all, that President has charm..." Then he tells him of his frustration. "What on earth am I doing that's different from him? I'm the one who came from a better school. I am as knowledgeable as him when it comes to liquor. But he runs around in a chauffeur-driven shiny car while I ride a rusty bicycle." He says he too wants to hurry up and make trendy products. Even with all the opposition and lack of funds, he still reiterates their original dream to make whiskey together.

Massan comes home to Ellie who is singing "Gondola no Uta". He asks how are things with Yuko. She recounts to him what happened at the omiai, including what Yuko said that "her job" being the only daughter is a huge deal to the company. Ellie wonders what HER job is. He smiles and assures her that she is doing her best. Though he's feeling sad about his job dilemma, he doesn't tell her about it. Instead, he asks her to sing "Gondola no Uta" again since her singing makes him feel better. Flattered, Ellie says, "I guess... this is my job." She sings for him while Massan ponders about the decision he has to make...

Massan goes to Kinjiro's office the next day. He is shown the finished poster for Taiyo Wine. It is an unconventionally bold yet elegant ad, that features a topless Midori (with her breasts edited out), basked in a soft glow, holding a glass of wine. It was in black and white and the only color there was the redness of the wine, making it stand out completely. Massan likes it, finding it lively and captivating. Kinjiro asks if he has made a decision. Massan apologizes and says he will continue on to make whisky with Sumiyoshi Brewery. Kinjiro tells him he understands, and changes the topic to Ellie. He asks if it's okay to give Ellie a job: to pose as a model for a new Taiyo Wine ad aimed for women. "What do you think?" Kinjiro asks. "Wonder if she can disrobe?" Massan is mortified: "Disrobe?!" (Note: In this scene, Massan misunderstands. "To take off one's clothes" is an idiom similar to "roll up one's sleeves", meaning that Kinjiro is asking if Ellie could "pitch in and help out"). Massan storms out of the office, disgusted by Kinjiro's offer.

He gets home and tells his wife about the "nude offer" and so he warns her not to go to Kinjiro anymore. "He's taking you for a fool! I will never trust him again. To think I was a fool to let myself be almost tempted (by him)!" Ellie asks him to explain his last statement and Massan finally tells her that Kinjiro tried to headhunt him. She is upset that she wasn't consulted about it. She thinks it's better for Massan to work for Kinjiro. He argues that he is indebted to Daisaku and cannot leave him. "Thanks to him, I got to study abroad and was able to meet you. Besides leaving him would be like 'kicking sand with my hind legs' (proverb: ungrateful employer leaving his boss after knowing he'll get no further assistance from him)." Ellie does not understand what he's saying and asks him not to use difficult words. Massan: "You're a foreigner so whatever I say you won't understand anyway." He wants to go to sleep but Ellie won't let him inside the bedroom. She is clearly hurt by what he just said. "I do understand! I understand that you owe the Tanakas but still you should have given it more thought. You had fun working with Kinjiro, and looked happy talking about him. I do understand! Because I'm your wife, aren't I? To sympathize and worry with you... That is MY JOB! And yet you say I'm a foreigner therefore I wouldn't understand?" She is so upset that she speaks in both English and Japanese. "You make me feel so kanashi (sad)! So sabishii (lonely)! You said that Kinjiro is taking me for a fool but the one who treats me like that the most is YOU!" She closes the bedroom door, making it clear that Massan will have to sleep outside for the night. (~synopsis by ec)
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 3rd, '15, 14:56, edited 2 times in total.

kathia_sophia

Post by kathia_sophia » Oct 25th, '14, 08:38

dhisashi wrote:They did not have any natural children but they did adopt two children.

Rita Taketsuru (née Cowan), wife of Taketsuru Masataka.

Note: There may be "spoilers" to Massan in the two articles listed below about the Taketsuru's:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-wo ... who-877833

http://www.nippon.com/en/views/b04203/

Thank you for the information and those links.
I knew it!!! I knew they wouldn't pick some random story for an Asadora lenght. The real life story of Rita and Masataka has enough material to keep the scriptwriters busy.
I have no doubt that a few weeks will be based on World War II, and the struggle that Ellie (Rita) will go through. It's already painful to imagine the way she will be treated by the locals. It's not easy to be seen as the enemy and people ignoring you on the streets. I bet we'll have lots of painful screentime on that timeline.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Oct 25th, '14, 11:00

kathia_sophia wrote:
I knew it!!! I knew they wouldn't pick some random story for an Asadora lenght. The real life story of Rita and Masataka has enough material to keep the scriptwriters busy.
I have no doubt that a few weeks will be based on World War II, and the struggle that Ellie (Rita) will go through. It's already painful to imagine the way she will be treated by the locals. It's not easy to be seen as the enemy and people ignoring you on the streets. I bet we'll have lots of painful screentime on that timeline.
I don't even know if I can bare to watch that timeline :-(

In Hanako to Anne,
Hana had enough trouble for keeping English books in his house during the war.
I can't imagine how hard things gonna be for Ellie :cry:

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Massan (Episode Summaries) Week 5

Post by earthcolors » Oct 27th, '14, 14:00

Week 5 Synopsis by NHK: "Naijo no Kou" (Virtue of wife faithfully supporting the husband)
Massan keeps working for Sumiyoshi Brewing Company, however, Chogoro, Daisaku's father-in-law, is strongly opposed to the whisky production. At the shareholders' meeting, Massan offers a tasting of whisky, but receives unpleasant reaction from shareholders. To survive the critical situation, Ellie serves her dishes that go well with whisky and the meeting turns out to be extremely successful. However, Massan's proposal is rejected after all and he is asked to leave the company. Massan and Ellie find themselves in a stew. (~synopsis by NHK)
Massan Ep.25 Synopsis
After their spat, Massan slept in the dining area all night. The next morning, Ellie is still mad at him, and refuses to make breakfast. "I don't know anything since I'm a foreigner!" Massan tries but fails to coax his wife out of her foul mood. Annoyed, he goes to work without making up with her.

Ellie goes to see Kinjiro at his shop to ask if he can try hiring Massan again since the two of them had "fun" working together. But Kinjiro refuses, even if she asks. He explains that Massan is like "a reckless wild boar" who is charging straight towards his dream, even if the road he chose is a steep mountain path. He advises Ellie to become "naijo no kou" instead (stand by her husband and support him). She asks how can she be of support to Massan. Kinjiro: "By doing something that you can only do."

Meanwhile, Massan tells his boss that he'll continue working at Sumiyoshi Brewery. Daisaku is so touched he begins to weep while Yaguchi watches the emotional scene silently from a distance.

Ellie later arrives at the Tanaka house. Yuko tells her of what happened during her date with Jiro the previous day. Jiro had said to her that whatever burden Yuko is carrying, "whether it be that of the house or the company", he will help her carry half of it. Ellie is glad to see Yuko seemingly happier and pleased with Jiro. "I'm sure you will be happy," Ellie assures her.

Meanwhile, Chogoro arrives unannounced at the office of Sumiyoshi Brewery, which he once owned. He tells Daisaku, Yaguchi, and Massan that the upcoming shareholders meeting is canceled (because of the wine explosion incidents). Somehow, he has gotten wind of the whisky venture, and believes that the shareholders won't approve of it. Even if he is no longer the president, Chogoro apparently still carries some weight around the office. "In the first place, you've even stopped the Taiyo wine production. I won't allow you to make a gamble with the business." Daisaku tries to tell his father-in-law that things will normalize once Kamoi Shoten recovers from the explosion incidents with its upcoming ad campaign. However, Chogoro brings more bad news: Kinjiro is planning to build his own factory of wine which means he will no longer need Sumiyoshi Brewery's services.

During lunch break, Yoshiko, Ikeda, and Matsubara talk about the company's new troubles. Ellie who is there serving lunch, hears about it from them. Massan comes in, ignoring Ellie. The others notice the icy atmosphere between the two. Ellie leaves without serving her husband.

Later at home, while having tea with her three neighbor friends, Ellie tells them about their ongoing marital spat. Umeko: "In a marital quarrel, first one who apologizes loses." They tell her that she should not feel bad and that she has the right to feel upset with him. They tell her the secrets on how to manipulate the husband: by having her mother-in-law on her side, and to show the husband that she is supporting him. Nevertheless, Ellie finds the latter quite difficult to do.

A frantic Massan rushes to Sado Works to ask the master artisan why he returned the pot stills diagram. The old man says he was told that they won't be making whiskey anymore. "Who told you that?" Massan asks. Sado answers, "Your managing director (Yaguchi)."

Back at the Kameyama home, Ellie ponders on how to support Massan "in the only way she can"... (~synopsis by ec)
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 9th, '15, 07:23, edited 2 times in total.

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Oct 28th, '14, 12:38

Massan Ep.26 Synopsis
Massan confronts Yaguchi at the office about pulling out the whiskey plan. Yaguchi: "You don't want to defy the major shareholders do you?" He calls the whiskey venture as nothing but a dream. "Nap time is over! You can't keep talking about your dream forever." Then, Daisaku arrives with some good news: starting tomorrow, everyone can go back to work and start resuming Taiyo Wine production. He had asked, and pleaded with Kinjiro to continue having his wine be made by Sumiyoshi Brewery. "Don't lower your head to me," Kinjiro had told him. "Why would you even do that considering I tried to take Kameyama from you?" Daisaku admitted he felt mortified by it, and that Kinjiro does things better than him. But still, he will strive to surpass him with his whisky plan. "Whisky is the only thing I have that's ahead of you." Kinjiro smiled mischievously and said, "Fine, please continue making Taiyo Wine for me. But still, I won't lose to you when it comes to whisky."

Massan comes home, and happily tells Ellie that Sumiyoshi Brewery is back in business. But Ellie, still acting cold, receives the news without much reaction. He tells her he's sorry and to please not be in a bad mood anymore. She asked about the whisky plan and learns it still hasn't been approved. Like a true Japanese wife, she reminds him coldly that there is no reason to celebrate yet, that he still has a long way to go, and wishes him good luck. She does feel bad about it, but she tells herself that it is the "naijo no kou" way.

Sumiyoshi Brewery is back to making Taiyo Wine. Daisaku greets his workers cheerfully. Ellie comes for her training at the Tanaka house, and ignores her husband. Yuko notices it, and tells Ellie to forgive her husband already since things are starting to look up. But Ellie only smiles.

Daisaku and Massan begin visiting some of the company's shareholders to persuade them to gather for a meeting to discuss the whisky-making venture. However, they will only do so if Chogoro, the major shareholder, convenes it. Feeling down, Massan returns to the office. Adding salt to injury, Yaguchi tells him that Chogoro is on his (Yaguchi's) side. "Even if you manage to convene the shareholders' meeting, your whiskey plan will be absolutely crushed."

That night, Massan tries drowning his sorrows with drinks at Haru's tavern. He keeps talking to himself about making whisky, irritating Haru. Ellie who had been waiting for him back home, comes to fetch him...

When they arrive home, drunk Massan is still talking about wanting to make whisky but that he is tired of being told "Good luck". "I AM working hard! No one understands. Each and everyone of them is stupid!" Ellie who fetched him some water, splashes him with it. "Wake up, you idiot! It's not only you who has been working hard. The president... EVERYONE is doing his best. All of us are cheering for you." Ellie's pep talk manages to calm Massan down and she kisses him lovingly on the forehead. It seems the quarrel between husband and wife has finally ended.

The next day, Chogoro is at the Tanakas to give some accessories for Yuko's wedding. Daisaku tries to discuss with his father-in-law about the shareholders meeting but the old man says there's nothing to discuss. Then Massan, with Ellie, arrives to plead with Chogoro. He tries to assure the old man that their plan is not a gamble but a well-thought out venture. "Who are you anyway?" Chogoro asks. To Daisaku: "Why are you allowing one of your employees dare talk to me about such a thing?" But Daisaku, and even Yuko join in on the pleading. Chogoro looks at their bowed heads silently... (~synopsis by ec)
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 3rd, '15, 19:09, edited 1 time in total.

diediebydie

Post by diediebydie » Oct 29th, '14, 14:48

I can see a similarity between Ellie (Eri) and Meiko (Gochisousan) in the terms of struggle with a diferent culture as the same happened with Meiko, because of the diferences between Osaka and Tokyo. And I smell a problem within Massan's family, I hope they don't do awful things to Ellie.

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Oct 29th, '14, 14:49

Massan Ep.27 Synopsis
After pondering a bit, Chogoro finally gives his consent. But if the shareholders do not approve of the whisky-making plan, he says Massan and Daisaku must give it up once and for all. They agree and thank Chogoro. Ellie thinks her husband is so cool to even lower his head for his dream.

Even if it's still early, Ellie serves Massan sekihan at home to celebrate. Massan says if their budget is approved, he'll make the whiskey that he can be proud of. She kisses and wishes him to do his best. Having heard the news, Catherine drops by. She asks how will Massan convince the shareholders at the meeting. He says, he'll let them have a taste of authentic Scotch whiskey and if they find it delicious, he'll ask for their approval of the budget. Catherine, who hasn't tasted whiskey, says she heard it has a strong smoky smell. "Well, my husband who is an Englishman says it's good though..." Massan says it's going to be all right but Ellie seems worried...

The next day, Ellie thanks Yuko for her help in persuading Chogoro. Ellie tells her of Massan's plan during the meeting. Yuko wonders if it's going to be all right considering that Japanese people are not accustomed to the taste of whisky. "I heard they say it tastes a lot like medicine." This worries Ellie even more...

A characteristic of Scotch whiskey, its distinctive smoky flavor, is produced by using peat to dry the malt. At the back of the office, Massan is making materials needed for his presentation, including roasting some peat. Yaguchi, bothered by the smell, douses the peat with water. He tells Massan that for sure the shareholders won't approve of the plan anyway, considering that the company has suffered heavy losses recently. Massan: "Why do you hate whiskey so much?" Yaguchi tells him bluntly, "It's because I don't like you."

That night, while Massan is working out his budget proposal, Ellie tries to ask about his whiskey-tasting plan. Clearly she is still bothered by Catherine and Yuko's earlier comments. Still, Massan assures her that the shareholders will like the 12 year old whisky he had bought from Scotland...

The following day, as Yuko prepares lunch, she explains to Ellie that she's chopping and mixing ginger and green onions to eliminate the smell of horse mackerel that she'll be serving. This seems to give Ellie some idea and elicits Yuko's help on something...

Then the day of the shareholders' meeting has come. It is to be held at the Tanaka house. The shareholders have arrived, as well as Chogoro and Jiro's father Shotaro. Though Shotaro is not a shareholder, he is invited to participate as a witness. Massan and Daisaku greet them all cordially.

The meeting starts, with an introduction by Yaguchi. Massan takes the chair, and gives a brief explanation of whiskey making and its background, complete with illustrations and sample materials.

At the kitchen, Ellie, Yuko, and the servants are busy cooking something. Yoshiko even brought some dried apricots. Yuko's mom comes and wonders why they're cooking, considering that the factory is closed for the day. Yuko and Ellie only smile and do not answer...

After Massan was done with his presentation, the men ask about the budget. The total cost of equipment will be 22,750 yen, plus the purchase of barley and peat. "If we have sold 9360 bottles of whiskey for 5 yen each in one month, we would recover our initial investment in 80 months." The men seem skeptical about the whiskey's long and arduous process, and recovery of investment. When Shotaro asks about the customers who will buy it, Massan says he believes that Japan will continue to become more westernized in the years to come. "The more we socialize with Westerners, the more Japanese will notice the appeal of whiskey." Shotaro: "But there's only a small percentage of the rich and wealthy who drink it, right?" Massan says he is sure that soon, the masses will get in on it, like the way they quickly embraced western food and cafes when these were first introduced. Then, it is time for the men to taste the whiskey Massan had brought from Scotland. Ikeda and Matsubara help Massan pour the liquor in each of the men's glasses. They gaze and admire the color before sipping. After tasting, they find the taste too strong, and smoky. Some even cough and make wretching noises. Yaguchi: "I knew it, it doesn't suit the taste of Japanese people." It seems Massan is in a desperate situation... (~synopsis by ec)
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 3rd, '15, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Oct 30th, '14, 13:07

Massan Ep.28 Synopsis
The shareholders react unpleasantly after tasting whisky. Just when Massan thinks all is lost, Ellie comes in bringing a plate of food. She introduces herself, and is allowed to serve food that she had prepared for the shareholders and visitor. These are food popular in Scotland: haggis, roast beef, and fish and chips, "In Scotland, these are the kind of dishes that we enjoy with whisky," she explains. The men take a bite of the food, and this time the whisky tastes better along with it. They notice that they no longer detect the smoky smell anymore. That's because Ellie had earlier brushed some whisky onto the meat before roasting so that the drink would match the dish. But Yaguchi points out that the drink still does not suit Japanese food. But Ellie is prepared with a counter-argument. This time, Yoshiko and the servants come in bringing plates of food prepared by Yuko: horse mackerel, dried apricots, and tofu pickled in miso. These too go well with whisky, the men find out. Massan points out that Scotland is similar to Japan, being an island that's surrounded by the sea and the ocean, so the cuisine consists of fish and shellfish too. "That is why," Ellie says, "whiskey suits Japanese cuisine, too." Massan also adds that the whisky takes on the atmosphere of the land where it was made; for ex., in northern Scotland, the whiskey tastes unique because it takes in the scent and taste of heather flowers prevalent in the region. "In other words, the town, the soul of the country dwells in whisky. This is also known as the 'spirit'." He wants to fill the charm of Japan in the whisky that he plans to make. Daisaku also assures them that even if the recovery of investment will take 5 years, the company still has Taiyo Wine. If not, they could still brew alcohol for other companies. With this, everyone from Sumiyoshi Brewery, except Yaguchi, bow their heads to ask for their approval.

The board has not made a decision yet, but that night, Massan, Ellie, Daisaku, and Yuko celebrate with dinner and drinks at Haru's tavern. Daisaku thanks Massan for a good job, but Massan says credit also goes out to Ellie and Yuko. They express confidence that their plan will be approved. Daisaku is so happy and emotional that he orders more food from Haru. He says he'll treat "everyone" tonight but Haru mistakenly thinks that "everyone" includes all the customers in the shop, thus, announcing it to all. Daisaku calls him "stupid" for that, so Haru accuses him of having a "small calibre" (for calling off the "treat"). Daisaku who is a short man, is offended by the word "small" and in return calls Haru, who is bald, a "pickled shallot". The two get into a slight skirmish, while being held off by everyone. Ellie manages to stop the two and invites everyone to sing a song (Furusato no Sora) instead...

As Massan and Ellie lie in their beds, Massan reflects back on the day's events, especially of how Ellie had helped him. He tells her he is glad he is married to her, and will make his dream come true for her sake. Ellie, with tears in her eyes, says his dream is also hers as well.

After a few days, Chogoro and Fujioka Shotaro come to the Tanaka house to announce the results of the shareholder's meeting... (~synopsis by ec)
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 3rd, '15, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.

NewKDramaAddict
United States of America

Post by NewKDramaAddict » Oct 30th, '14, 13:27

dhisashi wrote:This one sounds really interesting.

I hope that Wabi-Sabi Subs decides to sub this one just like EarthBuri subbed Amachan. :D

It has been very good, so far. I really enjoy it. It is informative of the period and also we get to see a total "Fish out of Water" experience. Crossing my fingers that they continue to sub. So far, so good! :-)

NewKDramaAddict
United States of America

Post by NewKDramaAddict » Oct 30th, '14, 13:33

I also love how at the end of each episode, they feature a picture of a mix couple! I loved this drama so much, I've already spread the word via a blog post on wordpress! This is worth people taking the time to watch! And Elizabeth Fox is doing a GREAT job!

dhisashi
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Oct 30th, '14, 15:12

NewKDramaAddict wrote:
dhisashi wrote:This one sounds really interesting.

It has been very good, so far. I really enjoy it. It is informative of the period and also we get to see a total "Fish out of Water" experience. Crossing my fingers that they continue to sub. So far, so good! :-)
Actually Heiwa Fansubs is subbing this and their group is prolific and I am certain that Heiwa will sub Massan to conclusion.

I do like Earthcolors summaries. You need to check out the Earthcolors web site.

kathia_sophia

Post by kathia_sophia » Oct 30th, '14, 17:09

NewKDramaAddict wrote:And Elizabeth Fox is doing a GREAT job!
She's not Elizabeth. She's Charlotte Kate Fox :thumright:

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Oct 31st, '14, 13:26

Massan Ep.29 Synopsis
Chogoro and Shotaro arrive at the Tanaka house to announce the results of the shareholders' deliberation. Massan, Daisaku and Yaguchi are present. Ellie is also there serving tea. Chogoro tells them that the whisky plan was not approved. And the one who was absolutely against it was Shotaro. Shotaro says investing in a product that will take 5 years to recover is too much of a risk, and that the exploding wine problem should be prioritized first. Since his son is set to inherit the company by way of his marriage to Yuko, it seems he has a say on the matter. He wants assurance that this whisky plan is forever shelved and should not be discussed again. Or else, he will call off the marriage between his son and Yuko. So Chogoro and Shotaro ask Massan to give up this dream or else, he must leave the company. An upset Massan says he will not give up his dream. He rushes out of the Tanaka house. Ellie runs after him but he says he needs to be alone.

Daisaku, Kayo, and Yuko discuss what happened. Kayo thinks it's best for Massan to quit but Yuko does not say anything.

Yuko goes to Ellie's house to talk to her. She tells Ellie not to worry about her in case Massan doesn't want to quit. Ellie does not agree because she knows Yuko wants to get married to Jiro. But Yuko says her mind is made up. She asks Ellie to tell Massan to continue pursuing his dream.

Massan meanwhile is drowning his sorrows again at Haru's tavern. Haru, Aki, and Catherine who dropped by, tell him to go home already. Whatever his problem is, Catherine shouts, drinking won't solve it so he should just go home and talk to Ellie about it.

Massan does go back home. While Ellie is making dinner, she tells him what Yuko said. Massan is blaming himself for his whisky passion. His mind was too preoccupied with making whisky that he failed to see he was annoying everyone at the company. He's now thinking of giving it up. Ellie still assures him that it'll be fine and not to give it up. "Because when you have a dream, I'll be able to live. I can put up with anything." She holds and soothes her weeping husband while she sings "Gondola no Uta"... (~synopsis by ec)
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 3rd, '15, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Nov 1st, '14, 12:15

Massan Ep.30 Synopsis
Massan hands over his resignation to Daisaku. His boss tearfully apologizes for being too powerless to change the situation. He tells Massan that he has always thought of him as a son. He doesn't mind if Massan forgets about him, as long as he does not forget his dream to make whisky.

At the house, Ellie informs Catherine of Massan's resignation, and that the two of them have talked it over already. Ellie: "Because Massan is a clumsy, 'wild boar'. I am resolved to prepare (for whatever comes)."

Massan goes to see Sado at his metalworks. He came to hand over the pot still diagrams to the old man for safe-keeping. Sado who understands his circumstances, promises to take care of it for him.

Ellie comes to the Tanaka house to say goodbye to Yuko. But Kayo tells her she is not around. It seems a lie because Yuko is in fact inside the house. Maybe because she is sad about Massan's resignation, and is not in the mood to see anyone.

Next, Massan says goodbye to the workers at the Sumiyoshi Brewery. Yoshiko says she is looking forward to drinking his whisky someday (Ikeda says he will too, as long as it's free). They are sad to see him go, feeling that things will not be the same without him... Then, Massan goes to the office. Despite Yaguchi's opposition to his dream, Massan still thanks him. Even now that Massan is leaving, Yaguchi still mocks him and his dream of whisky. Massan vows to him that he will usher in the era of whisky in Japan. Yaguchi says the gods of all religions are just laughing at his stubbornness.

Finally, Massan goes to his lab and says "thank you" to the place where he had set about building his dream. He gets his books and takes down the sign "Whiskey Lab". He takes these all home with him.

He comes home to Ellie who is embroidering something. Ellie welcomes him in her arms and tells him she made some boar stew (in honor of his "boar"-ishness). Despite the sadness, Massan manages to smile.

Then, the day of Yuko's wedding has arrived. Everyone marvel at Yuko's bridal costume, and wish her happiness. The Tanaka family heads for the temple, with each member riding a rickshaw. Yuko stops the rickshaw driver when she sees Ellie and Massan along the way. Ellie hands her a handkerchief with the embroidery that she made. It depicts heather flowers as a symbol of protection. But instead of the usual purple flowers, Ellie made them with red thread, as red is the color of "good tidings" in Japan. "When I first came to Japan, you were the first person I fought with... and my first friend." Yuko thanks her. "I'll work hard in trying to open the lid. Though I can't afford to do it often as you, but sometimes I will open the lid, and try to live for myself. For sure, I will be happy." Massan also wishes her happiness. With that, they say goodbye to each other.
Narrator: "Massan has left the company for his dream of whiskey. Ellie, while praying for Yuko-san's happiness, is sure someday, that they too will grasp their own happiness... she vows to herself." (~synopsis by ec)
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 3rd, '15, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Massan (Episode Summaries) Week 6

Post by earthcolors » Nov 3rd, '14, 13:51

Week 6 Synopsis by NHK: "Nasake ha hito no tame narazu" (He who gives to another bestows on himself; Compassion is not for other people's benefit)
"Two months after Massan left Sumiyoshi Brewing Company, he still hops from one job to another, not being able to find a path to the whisky production. Moreover, Massan refuses every job offer brought by his neighbor for the reason that they are not ideal for him. Ellie, on the other hand, starts looking for her own job but is turned away because she is a foreigner. One day, Ellie is asked by a man to take a job that he thinks suitable for her." (~synopsis by NHK)
Massan Ep.31 Synopsis
November 1920. Two months have passed after Massan left Sumiyoshi Brewery. The Kameyama couple is now short on cash, so Ellie is trying to get by with the few money they have left. Massan still has not gotten a regular job, and has been flitting from one job to another. For example: Massan has an interview one day, and feels that he will be a shoo-in for the job (translating documents into English). Ellie suggests that she too should find work but Massan says it's out of the question. Then Ellie shows him their persimmon tree had borne fruit, and asks if the fruit can be eaten already. Massan says it looks like shibugaki (astringent persimmon) and is still inedible. After he left, Ellie who has never seen a persimmon (and because she had been hungry lately) still picks the fruit and tastes it. The bitter reaction on her face says she should have listened to her husband.

Her three friends gather at her house. Catherine has heard from the house's caretaker, Yoshi, that the couple hasn't paid their rent. As they were discussing whether Ellie should find work, Massan comes in. The look on his face says the job interview did not go well (again). Catherine blames him for having "no ambition." "With that shinkikusai face, no one will entrust the job to you." Momoko and Umeko agree, and tell him to try harder and not let Ellie live a hard life. When they left, Massan tells Ellie not to spread stories about him having no job and money. Ellie: "Everybody knows even if I don't say it!" When asked why he failed to land the job, Massan answers that he refused the job because he finds such paper work involving translation boring. "It doesn't fit my gender and it's still better to have a job that requires me to move around." And so this is how it's been for the past two months...

Meanwhile, Kinjiro is discussing about the bright future of whisky in Japan with his secretary. He is getting impatient and excited for it to start. It seems he is serious with his plan to make whisky in Japan, too.

Back with the Kameyamas, Massan notices they only have rice, pickles and thin soup for lunch, and no side dishes. Ellie informs him that their savings he got from a recent three day side job are now gone. Then, Catherine and Momoko drop in with some of their surplus stock: steamed sweet potatoes and fresh eggs for the couple. Ellie is thankful but Massan, because of his manly pride, refuses to say thanks. The two explain that what they're doing is the "virtue of neighbors helping each other out". Still, Massan insists that he'll solve his household problems on his own. The two are annoyed with his pig-headedness and leave. Ellie gets mad at Massan's rude behavior. Massan explains his pride by way of a proverb: "Bushi wa kuwanedo takayōji" (A samurai, even when he has not eaten, uses a toothpick like a lord). Just after he says this, his stomach growls. Despite his hunger, he says he doesn't need the food the neighbors gave them. Then, Ellie suggests again that she find work, but Massan's answer is still no. Ellie: "But in Scotland, when you're in a pinch, both the man and woman work the same way." Massan: "Here in Japan, no one will hire you because you're a foreigner." Ellie: "If I don't try, how will we know?" Massan insists that he's absolutely sure. "Besides, even if there is nothing to eat..." he repeats the "samurai proverb". "You are not a samurai!" Ellie shouts, exasperated. Massan tells her to be quiet and just listen to what her husband says. Ellie: "Excuse me? Ugh! I can't follow your logic anymore!" A shouting match ensues with Ellie saying she's leaving. Massan: "Fine! Get out of here! I don't care where you go!" Ellie stomps off, after calling her husband "You... big... BIG FOOL!"

Actually, Massan is just worried that Ellie will undergo difficulties if she works outside. But he just cannot express it well. He runs outside where it has started raining, and calls out Ellie's name. But Ellie is just at the entrance, pouting. He tries say sorry and hug her but she refuses to let him near her. "You're such a fool. You can't be forgiven so easily. I will never forgive you!" But they see Yoshi's approaching figure. Embarrassed that they don't have money to pay the rent, they dash back inside the house. Yoshi announces her presence while the couple is hiding inside. Ellie comes out to tell her "Massan is not feeling well". Yoshi: "Ellie, you're not a very good liar." Yoshi calls Massan to come out, so he emerges, feigning illness. He begs Yoshi to give him a week at least, to get the money. She says she can only give them 3 days. She even jestingly tells Ellie that she ought to separate from this "good-for-nothing" fellow. After she leaves, Massan asks Ellie how will they get the money in 3 days. Ellie: "It'll be all right. I will work!" Massan: "Eh!?" (~synopsis by ec)
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 9th, '15, 07:23, edited 2 times in total.

gz2009

Post by gz2009 » Nov 4th, '14, 11:36

Just a little (perhaps topical) aside:

Whisky expert Jim Murray awarded a record-equalling 97.5 marks out of 100 to Suntory’s Yamazaki Single Malt Sherry Cask 2013, hailing it as “near indescribable genius” in his comments in the forthcoming 2015 World Whisky Bible.

The article goes on to note that...
Masataka Taketsuru, who helped found the distillery in 1923, and his Scottish wife, Rita Cowan, inspired a popular TV drama currently being shown by Japan’s public broadcaster, NHK.

Yamazaki – Japan’s oldest whisky distillery – produced a limited 18,000 bottles of the prize-winning single malt and they are sold only online or at specialist shops for about US$160 each.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/n ... r-scotland

earthcolors
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by earthcolors » Nov 4th, '14, 12:48

Massan Ep.32 Synopsis
Despite Massan's pig-headedness, Ellie's three friends continue to help out. This time, Umeko gives Ellie some of the oranges she bought. Catherine says oranges in Japan are sour so Ellie suggests to make maramalade out of it. Umeko gives her the whole bunch so Ellie could make maramalade for all of them. Meanwhile, Massan is still in bed, escaping the reality of job searching by thinking of whisky and going over and over his notes.

While the ladies start making marmalade in the kitchen, the topic goes to Massan. It's just two days away from the rent deadline. They tell Ellie not to pamper him anymore, and instead give him a good kick in the butt to start moving. Massan who knows they're talking about him, plans to escape by leaving quietly. The ladies still see him, and chide him for escaping. Ellie invites him to eat breakfast but he refuses: "How can I eat in such a situation!" He leaves while Catherine shouts at him: "Think you're so big! He who does not work, neither shall he eats!" Again, Ellie broaches the idea of finding work herself. Momoko suggests a certain sideline...

Massan goes to the tavern, and tries to eke out a free drink from his fellow Hiroshima native, Haru. But Haru ignores him. A customer criticizes him for asking for a freebie, and Massan challenges him to a fight. But they ended up playing shogi instead. But then, Catherine comes and disrupts the game. She sits down to have a talk with him. She, Haru, and the Constable all suggest jobs he could take on. But Massan refuses each of their suggestions ("Greengrocer's assistant?" "Those caterpillars found in em veggies, I hate them since I was small." "Fishmonger's assistant?" "I don't understand em guys over there, they talk in tongue twisters." "Unloader at the train station?" "Yeah, but the station's too far"). Catherine wonders if there is a job related to whisky that he could be interested in. So the customer whom Massan tried to fight with, suggests something...

The job is working as a helper at a liquor shop. Massan starts working right away. He sees the poster of Taiyo Wine, and remembers Kinjiro's job offer. Then, a customer comes and wants to buy a bottle of liquor from the shop but Massan dissuades him, saying the whisky sold there is not the real thing. The owner hears him and fires him right away. It doesn't bother Massan anyway since his heart is not in it in the first place.

He goes home and remembers the promise he made to his father about making whisky. Neighborhood kid Kenta comes, asking him if he found a job yet. He reminds him that "a person who does not work, doesn't eat". Annoyed, Massan comes in the house to find that Ellie has started on her sideline: attaching thongs to geta sandals. She gets 8 sen per 100 pieces. Momoko is there teaching her. Of course, Massan does not like it, saying even if she does that, it won't earn enough to pay the rent in two days. Ellie: "Chirimo tsumo reba yama to naru" (If dust piles up, it becomes a mountain; Many a little makes a mickle). When Momoko asks about the job hunt, Massan replies with "None of your business!" She leaves annoyed while Massan goes to their room. He tells Ellie not to disturb him. Inside, he plans to write a letter to his parents...

Meanwhile at Massan's family home in Hiroshima, Sanae, Masashi, and Sumire are having their meal. Sanae is pleased with the delicious autumn eggplant dish that Shimaji had prepared. She mentions the proverb "Don't feed autumn eggplants to the wife/daughter-in-law", and they discuss its meaning. Then, the topic shifts to Massan when Sumire remembers that her brother loves eggplant miso soup. "I wonder if Ellie makes it for him." Sanae's good mood vanishes, and tells Sumire not to worry about about people who "have nothing to do with us."

Back to Massan. While he is racking his brains on the proper way to ask his parents for money through the letter, Ellie suddenly comes in. He tries to hide the letter, but Ellie asks him what he's writing. "A novel..." he lies. "I thought of writing a book..." (~synopsis by ec)
Last edited by earthcolors on Jan 3rd, '15, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.