Recommend J-Dramas (Ask for suggestions here)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Re: RECOMMENDED/FAVORITE JDRAMAS (ask for suggestions here)

Post by Keiko1981 » Oct 27th, '15, 17:10

Words of Farewell wrote:Hey guys and gals,

I am currently looking into JDramas which are predominantly set in nature or rural landscapes for a paper I am working on. I would be very thankful for some suggestions. So far looking for Dramas which were set in Okinawa or Hokkaido wasn't very fruitful for they are mostly family based and targeted at an older audience or historical dorama; I'm looking for something in a contemporary time frame. Due to the recent trend of escaping to the rural areas I thought it'd be interesting to look at the depictions of nature and landscape in dorama targeted at a younger demographic.

I know this is quite specific, but I hope that there are some at least that fit this description. The only one I was able to think of was something along the lines of Amachan! (which I only saw partially because without subs it at some point got too stressful to watch since my Japanese is way too rusty nowadays). Hopefully there are at least some dorama that fit this description.
Kita no Kuni kara http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Kita_no_Kunikara
Set in the town of Furano in Hokkaido, Kita no Kuni Kara centers around the story of the Kuroita family.

Narrated by the son, Jun, the tale follows the lives of two children torn between their parents and their parents' divorce. Jun, and his sister Hotaru, grow and mature in the harsh climates of Hokkaido, and learn the ways of life through their interaction with the folk of Furano.

I will post a batch at Nyaa on Nov 1st.

UsagiYojimbo
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber
Hungary

Post by UsagiYojimbo » Oct 28th, '15, 05:50

Words of Farewell wrote:I am currently looking into JDramas which are predominantly set in nature or rural landscapes for a paper I am working on. I would be very thankful for some suggestions. So far looking for Dramas which were set in Okinawa or Hokkaido wasn't very fruitful for they are mostly family based and targeted at an older audience or historical dorama.
I am not sure, but from the top of my head: There are some movies / TV-movies, that depict rural life:

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Oct 28th, '15, 06:27

Another (great) movie. :)
A Chorus of Angles (Kita no Kanariatachi - 北のカナリアたち)
Based on Kanae Minato's short story "Nijunengo no Shukudai,” from Kanae Minato's "Oufuku Shokan" (September 21, 2010 - published by Gentosha).

20 years ago, an elementary school student falls on an island in the northern tip of Hokkaido. A teacher and 6 students makes contact through songs. What happened to the student who fell? The teacher returns 20 years later to meet with her former students.

lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs » Oct 30th, '15, 09:49

Good comedies from the 90s? I have seen Love Generation and Beach Boys along with Osama no Restaurant.

JackBauer2424

Post by JackBauer2424 » Nov 4th, '15, 02:02

So far, Engine is not bad. Not sure if Kimura Takuya usually picks good characters to play or if I'm just mezmorized by his pretty boy looks or charisma. There were a handful of his dramas I didn't like (Tsuki no Koibito, I'm Home, Sora Kara Ichioku...).

Also, you don't see a lot of shows from the late 1990s or early 2000s. I want to re-watch some shows I remember having some great theme songs.

lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs » Nov 7th, '15, 19:40

JackBauer2424 wrote:So far, Engine is not bad. Not sure if Kimura Takuya usually picks good characters to play or if I'm just mezmorized by his pretty boy looks or charisma. There were a handful of his dramas I didn't like (Tsuki no Koibito, I'm Home, Sora Kara Ichioku...).

Also, you don't see a lot of shows from the late 1990s or early 2000s. I want to re-watch some shows I remember having some great theme songs.
Have to recommend Engine. It was my first J-Drama and I was impressed by it enough to actually start watching others. It has a great balance between the racing and the home stuff. That ending perfectly fits the show though.

JackBauer2424

Post by JackBauer2424 » Nov 8th, '15, 07:23

Hard to decide what to watch next that I can actually find. Just finished Jiu, which was not bad and not great either. Some Brazilian Jiu Jitsu moves by Meisa Kuroki.

What's good that showcases some very good looking likeable Japanese actresses? What's good that has CAGNET music aside from Long Vacation and Love Generation?

Any good shows that came out within past couple of years?

JackBauer2424

Post by JackBauer2424 » Nov 15th, '15, 01:59

Stayed away from Great Teacher Onizuka (1998) thinking I didn't have interest in another teenage school story with former gang member, but it was pretty good. Nanako Matsushima is super duper pretty and her voice is so attractive. The GTO actor himself did a great job of being a bit dopey.

Not sure if I want to watch the re-cast GTO series.

What's the story behind Kaseifu no Mita going from Nanako to Ryoko Yonekura?

uedajirou

Post by uedajirou » Nov 15th, '15, 02:32

JackBauer2424 wrote:Stayed away from Great Teacher Onizuka (1998) thinking I didn't have interest in another teenage school story with former gang member, but it was pretty good. Nanako Matsushima is super duper pretty and her voice is so attractive. The GTO actor himself did a great job of being a bit dopey.

JackBauer2424 wrote:Stayed away from Great Teacher Onizuka (1998) thinking I didn't have interest in another teenage school story with former gang member, but it was pretty good. Nanako Matsushima is super duper pretty and her voice is so attractive. The GTO actor himself did a great job of being a bit dopey.

Kaseifu no Mita and Kaseifu wa Mita are totally different. The title of Nanako's Kaseifu no Mita (Literal title: Mita The Housekeeper) itself is largely inspired by very old TV asahi populae trademark dramas titled Kaseifu wa Mita! (Literal title: the House Keeper saw it!). Yonekura's Kaseifu wa Mita! is a rehash or rather, a part of the TV asahi franchise Kaseifu wa Mita!. Some people thought Kaseifu wa Mita is inspired by Kaseifu no Mita, which is actually the other way round. It is Kaseifu no Mita which is inspired by the franchise

Tbh, I would enjoy Kaseifu no Mita if Nanako acts better

ichal_marche

Re: can someone recommend me more medical J-dramas?

Post by ichal_marche » Dec 5th, '15, 09:57

Zephuros wrote:I've finished watching all Doctor-X, Dr. Raintaro and Iryu episodes/seasons....

I only knew these three, are there more awesome doctor/medical-related dramas? Please recommend them to me..!

Thank you!
You should watch Voice which is about a bunch of forensic student try to solve the mystery behind a person death through autposy. it is quite an interesting dorama for me :-)

jenpi96

Post by jenpi96 » Dec 7th, '15, 00:01

One of my favorite drama is Love shuffle. I mean... who wouldn't ship Shota & Yuriko? Panda couple ftw! :salut: :salut:

jenpi96

Post by jenpi96 » Dec 7th, '15, 00:03

ichal_marche wrote:
Zephuros wrote:I've finished watching all Doctor-X, Dr. Raintaro and Iryu episodes/seasons....

I only knew these three, are there more awesome doctor/medical-related dramas? Please recommend them to me..!

Thank you!
You should watch Voice which is about a bunch of forensic student try to solve the mystery behind a person death through autposy. it is quite an interesting dorama for me :-)
Code Blue is pretty awesome for a med-related dramas! you should give it a try. Anyway, Voice is good too :)

lontong.stroong

Post by lontong.stroong » Dec 8th, '15, 03:12

Thank you!
Kounodori all the way!!

JackBauer2424

Post by JackBauer2424 » Mar 15th, '16, 09:00

I want to watch some stuff from the 90s and I remember some nice opening/closing songs used. Do these oldies exist digitally? Maybe the oldest stuff I found was Musashi, Concerto, Cheap Love, Utsukushii Hito, Beautiful Life, Akimahende. I found Batsu Kare, but no subs.

nodssideways

Post by nodssideways » May 1st, '16, 20:50

hello, i don't usually watch dramas but today i watched ep 1 of seirei no moribito 2016 since i'm a big fan of the books and the anime, so i started wondering, is there any Japanese drama with strong female lead in fantasy/historical settings?

UsagiYojimbo
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber
Hungary

Post by UsagiYojimbo » May 3rd, '16, 17:18

JackBauer2424 wrote:I want to watch some stuff from the 90s and I remember some nice opening/closing songs used. Do these oldies exist digitally? Maybe the oldest stuff I found was Musashi, Concerto, Cheap Love, Utsukushii Hito, Beautiful Life, Akimahende. I found Batsu Kare, but no subs.
How about these:
  • 3-nen B gumi Kinpachi sensei (it has several seasons from the 70's till the 2000's, years apart, season 5-6 are in the 90')
  • Sailor Fuku to Kikanju (1982, there is a 2006 version, too)
  • Nemureru Mori(1998)
  • Love Generation (1997)
  • Kimi no te ga sasayaite iru (from 1997 to 2001, each episode was made in a year apart)

UsagiYojimbo
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber
Hungary

Post by UsagiYojimbo » May 3rd, '16, 17:40

nodssideways wrote:is there any Japanese drama with strong female lead in fantasy/historical settings?
Most of the fantasy (that I know of) are stories about special abilities. If it is acceptable, then from top of my head:
  • Kiina (Policewoman can remember anything she saw once, and solves mysterious cases...)
  • Deka Wanko (Policewoman with dog like sense of smell)
  • SPEC - Keizoku 2 (Special ability policewoman investigate crimes of special ability criminals...)
  • Ame to yumeno Ato ni (Schoolgirl's father dies, and comes back as a ghost...)
  • Ghost Mama Sousasen (Dead policewoman's son wears her mother's glasses, and sees her, and they are solving cases...)
  • Iguana no Musume (The protagonist girl is not loved by her mother as she sees her as an iguana...)
  • Minami kun no Koibito (The schoolgirl shrinks to about 18 cm tall..., There are 2 versions of it: 2004, 2015.)
  • Nanase Futatabi (Girl can hear others' thoughts...)
  • Mop Girl (Cleaning lady of a undertaking corporation slips back a day in time, when touching something of the deceased, and tries to correct things...)
And a historical, too:
  • Atsuhime (The life of the wife of the last-but-one shogun)

BoggoSonyeo

Post by BoggoSonyeo » May 3rd, '16, 19:12

Hello

Could any suggest good Japanese dramas to watch before school graduation? :-)

UsagiYojimbo
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber
Hungary

Post by UsagiYojimbo » May 4th, '16, 18:43

BoggoSonyeo wrote:Could any suggest good Japanese dramas to watch before school graduation? :-)
What do you expect from the dorama?
  • Iguana no Musume: A schoolgirl is not loved by her mother, as she sees her as an iguana...
  • Hanazakari no kimitachi e: A girl in disguise enters a boys only school to get one boy to continue his sports career...
  • Koibumi Biyori: 10 little story of in-school love letters...
  • Gokusen: New teacher in the school gets the worst class, but does not give up on them, as (while nobody knows it in the school, but) she is the heir of a yakuza clan...
  • Sailor Fuku to Kikanju: A schoolgirl becomes head of a yakuza clan....
  • Cat Street: About an ex child-actress, who gets into a "free school" for special ability children... (Free school in japan means an alternative school, not rum by government)
  • 3-nen B gumi Kinpachi Sensei: It is about a Japanese teacher in a middle school... (It has several seasons from the 70's till 2008... Many later successful actor/actress began his/her career as student in these seasons...)

BoggoSonyeo

Post by BoggoSonyeo » May 4th, '16, 20:52

UsagiYojimbo wrote:
BoggoSonyeo wrote:Could any suggest good Japanese dramas to watch before school graduation? :-)
What do you expect from the dorama?
  • Iguana no Musume: A schoolgirl is not loved by her mother, as she sees her as an iguana...
  • Hanazakari no kimitachi e: A girl in disguise enters a boys only school to get one boy to continue his sports career...
  • Koibumi Biyori: 10 little story of in-school love letters...
  • Gokusen: New teacher in the school gets the worst class, but does not give up on them, as (while nobody knows it in the school, but) she is the heir of a yakuza clan...
  • Sailor Fuku to Kikanju: A schoolgirl becomes head of a yakuza clan....
  • Cat Street: About an ex child-actress, who gets into a "free school" for special ability children... (Free school in japan means an alternative school, not rum by government)
  • 3-nen B gumi Kinpachi Sensei: It is about a Japanese teacher in a middle school... (It has several seasons from the 70's till 2008... Many later successful actor/actress began his/her career as student in these seasons...)
I would like to see a dorama about school graduation and students feelings about it

JackBauer2424

Post by JackBauer2424 » May 14th, '16, 00:25

I already watched Love Generation and really liked it. The older VHS stuff just doesn't seem available. I stumbled upon With Love with "Animal Shinji" and Norika Fujiwara and the quality sure looks like VHS. I want to rewatch To Friday's Lovers that featured Glay's Happiness song.

UsagiYojimbo
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber
Hungary

Post by UsagiYojimbo » May 14th, '16, 15:05

BoggoSonyeo wrote:
UsagiYojimbo wrote:
I would like to see a dorama about school graduation and students feelings about it
Each season ends with end-of-the-schoolyear cultural festival, on which the whole class usually performs its trademark fishing dance...
Also the latest addition to the series if an anniversary for the retiring teacher, to which almost all his former students reappears...

rcaladlr

Post by rcaladlr » Jun 4th, '16, 20:51

Hello,

It's been a while since I watched Japanese TV Shows. I was wondering if you guys can recommend any good shows either current or from the last 4-5 years.

Last time I was watching, the TV "stars" were another generation lol. I was browsing stuff from 2014-2016 and I barely know any of the new 'stars'. And speaking of stars, who is/are the most popular/highly rated TV stars nowadays?

Himitsu17

Post by Himitsu17 » Jun 8th, '16, 09:42

rcaladlr wrote:I was wondering if you guys can recommend any good shows either current or from the last 4-5 years.
Hello :) What is the type of Dramas you usually liked ? Romance, Mystery, Thriller, Comedy, Slice of Life, School-Life, ... ?
rcaladlr wrote:Who is/are the most popular/highly rated TV stars nowadays?
I don't know all of them, but I might say some names that's currently everywhere (or like in a drama every two season ^^)
That's just what comes to my mind right now as "young new wave" :3 (Please don't hate me if I'm wrong)

GIRL:
Kiritani Mirei
Arimura Kasumi
Takahata Mitsuki
Kimura Fumino

GUYS:
Kubota Masataka
Saito Takumi
Chiba Yudai
Miura Shohei
Yamazaki Kento

rcaladlr

Post by rcaladlr » Jun 10th, '16, 02:31

Himitsu17 wrote:
rcaladlr wrote:I was wondering if you guys can recommend any good shows either current or from the last 4-5 years.
Hello :) What is the type of Dramas you usually liked ? Romance, Mystery, Thriller, Comedy, Slice of Life, School-Life, ... ?
rcaladlr wrote:Who is/are the most popular/highly rated TV stars nowadays?
I don't know all of them, but I might say some names that's currently everywhere (or like in a drama every two season ^^)
That's just what comes to my mind right now as "young new wave" :3 (Please don't hate me if I'm wrong)

GIRL:
Kiritani Mirei
Arimura Kasumi
Takahata Mitsuki
Kimura Fumino

GUYS:
Kubota Masataka
Saito Takumi
Chiba Yudai
Miura Shohei
Yamazaki Kento
Thanks for the reply! I'm not really looking for something particular. Though I'm leaning towards Romance or Comedy or Slice of Life, maybe more towards romance in general, but nothing too sad. Definitely no detective stuff, I know they can be good, but it's so saturated, both Japanese Dramas and American Dramas lol.

I will also check out those stars you listed. Thank you!
Last time I was watching, guys like Oguri Shun and Jun Matsumoto were "phasing out" and stars like Aragaki Yui were getting roles for adults (rather than high school stuff lol). I was keeping an eye out for Naka Riisa, but she didn't get many main roles. Horikita Maki was getting tons of roles too back then.

Though I do wonder if they still make funny school comedy/dramas like HanaKimi (first one not remake) and My Boss my hero lol.

UsagiYojimbo
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber
Hungary

Post by UsagiYojimbo » Jun 10th, '16, 18:49

rcaladlr wrote:Though I do wonder if they still make funny school comedy/dramas like HanaKimi (first one not remake) and My Boss my hero lol.
Try Minami kun no koibito(2015) or even Tonari no Seki kun to Rumi chan no Jisho...

Himitsu17

Post by Himitsu17 » Jun 10th, '16, 20:54

rcaladlr wrote:Thanks for the reply! I'm not really looking for something particular. Though I'm leaning towards Romance or Comedy or Slice of Life, maybe more towards romance in general, but nothing too sad. Definitely no detective stuff, I know they can be good, but it's so saturated, both Japanese Dramas and American Dramas lol.
OK then I'll do my recommendation with removing thriller, mystery and detective from my top list :3

Switch Girl!! (2011) I really love the story. It's from the same name manga, maybe you heard of it ? There is also a season 2 but I haven't seen it yet (shame on me because I BOUGHT the DVD like 3 years ago?)
Yamada kun to 7 nin no Majo (2013) A "high-school love story" that was cute. A bit haremish (like the original manga) but it stayed funny :)
Love Shuffle (2009) Older yet still awesome
Lady Girls (2015) 3 friends and their love story with guys. The main is the best at work but just a mess in love :) It was nice, fresh and not too cliché (a bit, as always through xD)
Naruyouni Narusa (2013) AWESOME Slice of life ! Still have to watch season 2^^
Last Cinderella (2013) Is age important when you love someone ? :)
Sumika Sumire (2016) A grandma find herself back at the age of being a university student. Can she do now what she always wanted to ?
Osozaki no Himawari (2012) A nice life story. Really fresh and LOVELY.
Welcome to Fortune-Telling Onmyo Shop (2013) A bit mystery-ish but mostly full fun :)
Ouran High School Host Club (2011) Funny "girl go into guy high school incognito". Anime, Manga, everything exist for this ^^

Some movies because I can't help it ... And I like better romantic stuffs when it's movie because it's shorter xD
Flying Colors (2015) I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend it
Hidamari no Kanojo (2013) With Matsumoto Jun x'D I was really surprised. it's a nice movie. Maybe a bit tearful through..
Paradise Kiss (2011) With the awesome Kitagawa Keiko
Heroine Disqualified (2015)
Princess Jellyfish (2014)
Kamoshirenai, Joyuutachi (2015 - Special)
Blackboard (2012) Three specials. My favorite was the second one, but I really recommend watching the three of them.
rcaladlr wrote:Last time I was watching, guys like Oguri Shun and Jun Matsumoto were "phasing out" and stars like Aragaki Yui were getting roles for adults (rather than high school stuff lol). I was keeping an eye out for Naka Riisa, but she didn't get many main roles. Horikita Maki was getting tons of roles too back then.
I see :) Well, they're still getting lot of interest :) I love Naka Riisa. It's true that she's not having much big works but well, she had a child if I'm right so she might have taken some time off :)

If you don't know the website yet, I recommend "MyDramaList" :) It is a HUGE database of Asian Dramas and Movies. You're able to keep track of your watching list (and plan to watch, completed) and share with "friends" what you're watching and what you think of it ^^

Tell me if you choose something from this list and what you thought of it ? :D You can also ask me If you wanna more information about one :)

rcaladlr

Post by rcaladlr » Jun 11th, '16, 06:41

UsagiYojimbo wrote:
rcaladlr wrote:Though I do wonder if they still make funny school comedy/dramas like HanaKimi (first one not remake) and My Boss my hero lol.
Try Minami kun no koibito(2015) or even Tonari no Seki kun to Rumi chan no Jisho...
Thank you I will check those out. I read the manga for Tonari no Seki kun.
Himitsu17 wrote:
rcaladlr wrote:Thanks for the reply! I'm not really looking for something particular. Though I'm leaning towards Romance or Comedy or Slice of Life, maybe more towards romance in general, but nothing too sad. Definitely no detective stuff, I know they can be good, but it's so saturated, both Japanese Dramas and American Dramas lol.
OK then I'll do my recommendation with removing thriller, mystery and detective from my top list :3

Switch Girl!! (2011) I really love the story. It's from the same name manga, maybe you heard of it ? There is also a season 2 but I haven't seen it yet (shame on me because I BOUGHT the DVD like 3 years ago?)
Yamada kun to 7 nin no Majo (2013) A "high-school love story" that was cute. A bit haremish (like the original manga) but it stayed funny :)
Love Shuffle (2009) Older yet still awesome
Lady Girls (2015) 3 friends and their love story with guys. The main is the best at work but just a mess in love :) It was nice, fresh and not too cliché (a bit, as always through xD)
Naruyouni Narusa (2013) AWESOME Slice of life ! Still have to watch season 2^^
Last Cinderella (2013) Is age important when you love someone ? :)
Sumika Sumire (2016) A grandma find herself back at the age of being a university student. Can she do now what she always wanted to ?
Osozaki no Himawari (2012) A nice life story. Really fresh and LOVELY.
Welcome to Fortune-Telling Onmyo Shop (2013) A bit mystery-ish but mostly full fun :)
Ouran High School Host Club (2011) Funny "girl go into guy high school incognito". Anime, Manga, everything exist for this ^^

Some movies because I can't help it ... And I like better romantic stuffs when it's movie because it's shorter xD
Flying Colors (2015) I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend it
Hidamari no Kanojo (2013) With Matsumoto Jun x'D I was really surprised. it's a nice movie. Maybe a bit tearful through..
Paradise Kiss (2011) With the awesome Kitagawa Keiko
Heroine Disqualified (2015)
Princess Jellyfish (2014)
Kamoshirenai, Joyuutachi (2015 - Special)
Blackboard (2012) Three specials. My favorite was the second one, but I really recommend watching the three of them.
rcaladlr wrote:Last time I was watching, guys like Oguri Shun and Jun Matsumoto were "phasing out" and stars like Aragaki Yui were getting roles for adults (rather than high school stuff lol). I was keeping an eye out for Naka Riisa, but she didn't get many main roles. Horikita Maki was getting tons of roles too back then.
I see :) Well, they're still getting lot of interest :) I love Naka Riisa. It's true that she's not having much big works but well, she had a child if I'm right so she might have taken some time off :)

If you don't know the website yet, I recommend "MyDramaList" :) It is a HUGE database of Asian Dramas and Movies. You're able to keep track of your watching list (and plan to watch, completed) and share with "friends" what you're watching and what you think of it ^^

Tell me if you choose something from this list and what you thought of it ? :D You can also ask me If you wanna more information about one :)
Thanks again for the big list! So much stuff to check out and try!
I read the manga (and watched the anime) for 7 Witches, Switch Girl and Ouran High School Club. Though it might be interesting for sure to check out the live action versions :D

I found one that I recently liked which is Kazoku no Katachi. It reminded me of Kekkon Dekinai Otoko (which is one of the best ones I've seen). I'm looking for something similar to those. Very slow build up romance, none of the cutesy stuff xD
Best Part? No one kissed in both entire shows lol.

JackBauer2424

Post by JackBauer2424 » Jun 19th, '16, 21:58

I finally tried watching Kekkon Dekinai Otoko and kinda liked it because of the crazy/goofy/eccentric main character. I was surprised Hiroshi Abe showed his bare buns. What mainstream Japanese actress has done this in a TV series?

in2sky
Japan

Beach dramas

Post by in2sky » Jun 20th, '16, 04:46

It's summer time, was thinking of beach dramas I've seen before...

Shall we have a list of beach dramas?

I'm thinking...

Beach Boys
Summer Nude
Taiyo no Uta
Kyō Shinatsu Yasumi Monogatari

more?

mister_joshua

Mystery J-Dramas

Post by mister_joshua » Jun 22nd, '16, 18:01

I'm looking for mystery shows, ideally ones in which a different mystery is solved each week.

Am currently watching Antiquarian Bookshop Biblia's Case Files.

Ones I've seen:

Trick 1-3
Galileo
Mr. Brain
Hero 1-2
Ghost Mama Sousasen
Bayside Shakedown

I think Ame to Yume no Ato ni would also count, though they're supernatural mysteries.

One Million Stars Falling from the Sky is a mystery, but it doesn't have a new case each week.

Any recommendations?

JackBauer2424

Post by JackBauer2424 » Jun 23rd, '16, 04:38

Not sure if new mystery each episode, but maybe building up to big final episode:

Strawberry Night series, not SP (police detective)
Jiu (police special forces)

Not sure about mystery, but diff bad guy each episode:

Koshonin 1 & 2 (police negotiator)
Hunter Sono Onna Tachi (bounty hunters)

Himitsu17

Re: Mystery J-Dramas

Post by Himitsu17 » Jun 23rd, '16, 18:20

mister_joshua wrote:I'm looking for mystery shows, ideally ones in which a different mystery is solved each week.
They're more or less ordered in favorite order.

The Memorandum of Kyoko Okitegami (2015) : The detective loose her memory every time she sleeps. She MUST solve the mystery given before then :)

Nazotoki wa Dinner no Ato de (2011) : A rich policewoman and her butler solve mysteries after her dinner :) Really cute and funny. Loved the chemistry between Kitagawa Keiko and Sakurai Sho.

Joker Yurusarezaru Sousakan (2010) : This one has a whole story in background, but it still has short mysteries.

Hard Nut! (2013) : Scientist helps solving mysteries. The cast has a nice chemistry too :D

Strawberry Night (2010) : A little bit darker, from plot, characters and mysteries.

Kagi no Kakatta Heya (2012) : All of them are closed room mysteries :)

Subete ga F ni Naru (2014) : Really nice drama :3 There is some mysteries that goes during 2 episodes through.

Higanbana - Keishicho Sosa Nana ka (2016) : Follow the previous SP, a group of woman policewoman from which one of them "can feel the feelings" in the place the crime happened.

Specialist (Specials & Drama) : Guy who wrongly went to prison and can now "analyze" a criminal mind. I loved the enigma because lot of them were linked with internet. Start with the specials in their release order, because it does have continuity ;)

Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo N (2014, the specials are great too) : Well, it's Kindaichi. I recommend the version with Yamada Ryosuke because it's more recent and I loved them all.

Other recommendations :
Rinsho Hanzai Gakusha Himura Hideo no Suiri (2016)
doS Deka (2015)
Seishun Tantei Haruya - Otona no Aku wo Yurusanai! (2015)
Mikeneko Holmes no Suiri (2012)

Less realistic, you can also count in Keizoku 2: SPEC

I also liked the two specials of Detective Katherine (2015 & 2016) and the two of Kaseifu wa Mita.

I hope you'll find what you'll like in this list ^^ If you wanna more informations about one or two tell me :D

funnysunny

Post by funnysunny » Jul 15th, '16, 13:47

When I'm depressed, my go-to dramas (my absolute fav is 'Tokyo love story").... and I'm pretty sure there's more but I can't seem to remember them, because there are fav. It's been a while since I needed to watch them :)
http://www.torrentset.com/torrents/to/t ... story.html
Tokyo love story

vekucera

Post by vekucera » Aug 26th, '16, 07:42

Can anyone suggest me some doramas? Shows that I tend to enjoy have whacky or quirky characters yet relatable, and great acting is a plus. I also like the slice of life genre if it's not too sentimental.

Some of my favorite dorama:

koshonin

Post by koshonin » Aug 26th, '16, 10:31

vekucera wrote:Can anyone suggest me some doramas? Shows that I tend to enjoy have whacky or quirky characters yet relatable, and great acting is a plus. I also like the slice of life genre if it's not too sentimental.

- Ikebukuro West Gate Park
- My Boss My Hero

JackBauer2424

Post by JackBauer2424 » Sep 3rd, '16, 01:51

After having watched a bunch more, here's my updated list:

Good to watch, or at least so far for the ones still running:

Eigyou Buchou Kira Natsuko, nanako matsushima
Koori no Sekai (highly recommended!!! what compares to this series?)
Naomi to Kanako
Keibuho Yabe Kenzo 1 & 2
Trick (all of it, everything)
Furuhata Ninzaburo (the few I watched with familiar guest stars)
Tokyo Love Story (highly recommended)
Kekkon Dekinai Otoko (highly recommended)
Boku no Yabai Tsuma
Yamato Nadeshiko
Bijo ka Yajuu
Siren
Yasuko to Kenji
Nasake no Onna
Chihoshi wo Kau Onna
Summer Nude
Great Teacher Onizuka (1998)
Engine
Good Luck
Priceless
Jiu
Konna Koi no Hanashi
Hotaru no Hikari (it's rare to laugh a bunch of times watching a series, poignant too)

Not eager to watch the rest of it or didn't really like:

Hayako Sensei, Kekkon Surutte Honto Desu Ka?
Gokusen
Strawberry on the Shortcake
Smoking Gun
Angel Heart (aibu)
Yami No Bansosha
Kyou wa Kaisha Yasumimasu
Katagoshi no Koibito
Love Revolution
Fukigen na Gene
Lucky Seven
Nemureru Mori
Murder on the Orient
Never Let Me Go
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Thermae Romae
Last edited by JackBauer2424 on Nov 12th, '16, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.

JackBauer2424

Re: Mystery J-Dramas

Post by JackBauer2424 » Sep 14th, '16, 11:22

Koori no Sekai was a good mystery. Boku no Yabai Tsuma was good too.

Diff mystery each episode:
Keibuho Yabe Kenzo 1 & 2 (cop from Trick)
Furuhata Ninzaburo
IQ246 with Yuji Oda as eccentric genius solving mysteries
Toshi Densetsu no Onna 2 with up and coming young hottie solving crimes almost similar to Trick debunking urban myths
mister_joshua wrote:I'm looking for mystery shows, ideally ones in which a different mystery is solved each week.

Am currently watching Antiquarian Bookshop Biblia's Case Files.

Ones I've seen:

Trick 1-3
Galileo
Mr. Brain
Hero 1-2
Ghost Mama Sousasen
Bayside Shakedown

I think Ame to Yume no Ato ni would also count, though they're supernatural mysteries.

One Million Stars Falling from the Sky is a mystery, but it doesn't have a new case each week.

Any recommendations?
Last edited by JackBauer2424 on Oct 25th, '16, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.

JackBauer2424

Post by JackBauer2424 » Sep 14th, '16, 11:26

For goofy, Trick & Kekkon Dekinai Otoko, and Trick spin off Keibuho Yabe Kenzo 1 & 2. Great Teacher Onizuka with Soramachi(?) & Nanako, not the subsequent series.
vekucera wrote:Can anyone suggest me some doramas? Shows that I tend to enjoy have whacky or quirky characters yet relatable, and great acting is a plus. I also like the slice of life genre if it's not too sentimental.

Some of my favorite dorama:

JackBauer2424

Post by JackBauer2424 » Sep 14th, '16, 11:39

1. Trick, Keibuho Yabe Kenzo, Furuhata Ninzaburo, Mr. Brain
2. Itsumo Futari De, Love Generation, Long Vacation, Tokyo Love Story
3. Love Generation & Long Vacation both have great music from CAGNET, Section-S

Lots of laughs: Kekkon Dekinai Otoko
yusuk3 wrote:Hi! Could you suggest some Jdramas or movies for me? Yes I can search the net but I want suggestions from you guys, what you could recommend best haha, give me the best of your best!!! :D

1. Detectives, crimes, mysteries, mindblowing and things that needs to be "solved"but not too serious, with little dish of comedy or anything haha. I love em
2. Romcoms, more on childhood friends then grew then things happen
3. Music with a little bit of comedy (Like Swing GIrls or something like that haha)

Or any other genre that you would really want to share :cheers:

JLove

Post by JLove » Oct 14th, '16, 15:44

Is there any Jdramas that introduces Kyoto and Osaka in their drama?

Sort of like one of those dramas that seem to be collaborating with tourism board to promote their city or something? :sweat:

UsagiYojimbo
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber
Hungary

Post by UsagiYojimbo » Oct 15th, '16, 22:25

JLove wrote:Is there any Jdramas that introduces Kyoto and Osaka in their drama?
A bit off, but NHK has a documentary series called "Core Kyoto". You can watch it live or on demand on the NHK World website: http://nhk.jp/nhkworld/

JackBauer2424

Post by JackBauer2424 » Oct 25th, '16, 21:55

BoggoSonyeo wrote:Hello

Could any suggest good Japanese dramas to watch before school graduation? :-)
Dragon Zakura was not bad and it's about Hiroshi Abe suddenly becoming a teacher with his goal to get 5 historically low scoring students from the worst school to get into Todai.

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Oct 26th, '16, 10:09

JLove wrote:Is there any Jdramas that introduces Kyoto and Osaka in their drama?

Sort of like one of those dramas that seem to be collaborating with tourism board to promote their city or something? :sweat:
Not really a promotion drama, but Asa ga Kita is set in both Kyoto and Osaka.

Words of Farewell

Post by Words of Farewell » Feb 7th, '17, 19:22

UsagiYojimbo wrote:
Words of Farewell wrote:I am currently looking into JDramas which are predominantly set in nature or rural landscapes for a paper I am working on. I would be very thankful for some suggestions. So far looking for Dramas which were set in Okinawa or Hokkaido wasn't very fruitful for they are mostly family based and targeted at an older audience or historical dorama.
I am not sure, but from the top of my head: There are some movies / TV-movies, that depict rural life:
I also found Amachan which I really enjoyed even though I guess I'm not really part of the demographic anymore. I stopped about halfway through due to time. I am still looking for a Dorama set further in the south though. I know there are numerous good doramas set on the Ryuu-Kyuu other than Koto which I by the way reaaaally liked - so thank you very much for the suggestion.

UsagiYojimbo
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber
Hungary

Post by UsagiYojimbo » Feb 7th, '17, 23:03

There is also Teppan, which stars Onomichi, Hiroshima prefecture, and also Ōsaka. It has a subtitles topic, too

eansmith

New JDramas

Post by eansmith » Mar 2nd, '17, 01:51

I'm looking for some new J dramas, haven't a new one in ages. Most recent one i saw was the hana kimi remake. really into the action/suspense thrillers like Orthros no Inu, Tokyo Dogs, Code Blue. Also dig ones like Mei Chan no Shitsuji, Zettai Kareshi, Hana Yori Dango, and Nobuta wo Produce. Any and all suggestions welcomed! Thanks!

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Re: New JDramas

Post by Keiko1981 » Mar 2nd, '17, 02:01

eansmith wrote:I'm looking for some new J dramas, haven't a new one in ages. Most recent one i saw was the hana kimi remake. really into the action/suspense thrillers like Orthros no Inu, Tokyo Dogs, Code Blue. Also dig ones like Mei Chan no Shitsuji, Zettai Kareshi, Hana Yori Dango, and Nobuta wo Produce. Any and all suggestions welcomed! Thanks!
Moving post to Jdrama Recommendations thread

in2sky
Japan

Post by in2sky » Mar 18th, '17, 14:30

Anyone seen Shukatsu Kazoku yet? I haven't found english subs though, looks like no one picked it up. Or maybe someone did?

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Mar 18th, '17, 14:35

in2sky wrote:Anyone seen Shukatsu Kazoku yet? I haven't found english subs though, looks like no one picked it up. Or maybe someone did?
According to Jdrama Fansub Map no one have picked it up.

in2sky
Japan

Post by in2sky » Mar 19th, '17, 10:00

Keiko, it's going to be a hardcore watching session without subs and practice my japanese :)

Kokujou

J-Drama recommendations wanted!

Post by Kokujou » Jun 17th, '17, 12:29

Hey! I just started watching J-Dramam, so i'm pretty new in that topic.
one of the first i ever watched was Suzuki Sensei. And i was so impressed i couldn't even think straught anymore... in fact i could think straighter then before because this was a great intellectual masterpiece!

and i really want to see like this. Related dramas to Suzuki Sensei.

If you still have no feeling what i'm talking about ii have some animes that give you a good view of what i'm looking for:
Code Geass, Death Note, Kami nomi zo shiru sekai, even Sakamoto desu ga.

I want intelligent and/or overpowered protagonists. but there's just very few of them as it seems :(

do you know something?

Kokujou

Post by Kokujou » Jun 20th, '17, 14:26

push?

RetroHelix
Germany

Post by RetroHelix » Jun 20th, '17, 15:09

Kokujou

Post by Kokujou » Jun 22nd, '17, 13:17

To be honest this might be the right thing, definitely. But it's always about detectives and police stuff. i'm bretty bored by that crime investigation stuff. It always reminds me of Detective Conan and i think we all had enough of that ^^ even in english/german televsion there's plenty of that stuff.

i thought you might have some other genres like in Suzuki Sensei: School, Medicine, War, Slice of Life, Fantasy... nothing?

RetroHelix
Germany

Post by RetroHelix » Jun 22nd, '17, 15:42

Kokujou

Post by Kokujou » Jun 23rd, '17, 14:19

maybe, i'm currently downloading Gokusen. It'd be great if they'd be a little newer than 2.000 but yeah...

but the most important thing is the genius part. I really like the smart protagonists and to see their way of thinking.
In Suzuki Sensei the time always stops when he thinks about stuff and you hear his thoughts. thats a great way of visualizing things.

Kokujou

Post by Kokujou » Jun 24th, '17, 08:03

Well if you don't know anymore i guess that's it but maybe you guys know something else.

what's about a series like a japanese Supernatural? protagonist(s) driving to different towns, hunting urban legends, you see japanese spirits :3 that's a show i really wanted to have. there are so many japanese mythical creatures and gods, too. this'd be a hell of a show

UsagiYojimbo
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber
Hungary

Post by UsagiYojimbo » Jun 25th, '17, 13:25

Kokujou wrote:what's about a series like a japanese Supernatural?
A bit off, but:
  • Trick: A magician and a professor solve supernatural cases.
  • Kiina: An eccentric detective solves mysterious cases with extreme memory.
  • Ame to Yume no Ato ni: Man returns as a ghost to his daughter.
  • Ghost Mama Sousasen: Policewoman returns as a ghost, only her son sees.
  • Ranma 1/2 SP: A boy and his father suffering from a curse, trying to stop it through martial arts.

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Jun 25th, '17, 22:14

For Ranma 1/2, I'd recommend the anime instead. The live action is all sorts of wrong.

Kokujou

Post by Kokujou » Jun 28th, '17, 16:34

somehow there are a lot detective stories... not only in japanese series but everywhere XD
after the 101st it should get boring i'd think but... they still keep on writing them ^^

i'll look further into trick ^^

UsagiYojimbo
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber
Hungary

Post by UsagiYojimbo » Jul 2nd, '17, 09:55

kitty10 wrote:For Ranma 1/2, I'd recommend the anime instead. The live action is all sorts of wrong.
It is not so bad for a tv-movie...

Well, most anime based live action has shortcomings... Except, maybe, Nodame Cantabile...

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Jul 2nd, '17, 21:19

UsagiYojimbo wrote: Well, most anime based live action has shortcomings... Except, maybe, Nodame Cantabile...
Oddly enough, the live action drama for Nodame Cantabile came first, then the anime.

Rurouni Kenshin's live action was good too. I generally prefer live action to anime, but Ranma was an exception, I guess.

Unsend

Post by Unsend » Jul 4th, '17, 11:11

I haven't watched any dramas lately, but I'm about to get back in the game.
I'm looking for newer dramas that I might have missed, so anything nice from 2013 until now.

I usually watch romance / comedy ones, like Buzzer Beat, Hanakimi, Hana yori dango, Proposal daisakusen etc., but I also loved Liar Game or Kurosagi.
Any kind of recommendation is highly appreciated 8)

Psi

Post by Psi » Jul 4th, '17, 12:34

Unsend wrote:I haven't watched any dramas lately, but I'm about to get back in the game.
I'm looking for newer dramas that I might have missed, so anything nice from 2013 until now.

I usually watch romance / comedy ones, like Buzzer Beat, Hanakimi, Hana yori dango, Proposal daisakusen etc., but I also loved Liar Game or Kurosagi.
For romance/comedy: Saikou no Rikon (2013) would be my top recommendation.
Others that I felt were decent: Kokoro ga Pokitto ne (2015), Date - Koi to wa Donna Mono Kashira (2015), Otousan to Yobasete (2016), Kazoku no Katachi (2016), Dame na Watashi ni Koishite Kudasai (2016)

For Asadora, I'd suggest: Gochisousan (2013), Mare (2015), Asa ga Kita (2015)
For Taiga drama: Yae no Sakura (2013)
For calm, slice-of-lifey drama: Pan to Soup to Neko Biyori (2013), Yuube no Curry, Ashita no Pan (2014). Maybe: Tokyo Sentimental (2016), Mamagoto (2016)
For silliness and fishing: Tsuribaka Nisshi (2015 & 2017)
For silly food drama: Otoko Meshi (2016)
For serious food drama: Kakuregiku (2016)
For historical food drama: Bakumatsu Gurume Bushimeshi! (2017), Mi wo Tsukushi Ryourichou (2017)
For just food and hardly any drama: Kodoku no Gurume (several seasons)
For kooky mystery: River’s Edge Ookawabata Tanteisha (2014)
For police procedural: Inpei Sousa (2014)
For slick police action: Sniffer (2016), CRISIS (2017)
For medical action comedy: Doctor X (several seasons)
For publishing industry... (xD): Juuhan Shuttai! (2016), Jimi ni Sugoi (2016)

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Jul 4th, '17, 21:53

Unsend wrote:I haven't watched any dramas lately, but I'm about to get back in the game.

To add on:

Slice of life: Shinya Shokudo (3 seasons from 2009), Okashi no Ie (2015), Mahoro Ekimae Bangaichi (2013), Fuben na Benriya (2015), Quartet (2017)
Procedurals: BORDER (2014), Kageri Yuku Natsu (2015), Yami no Bansosha (2015), Long Goodbye (2014)
Fantasy: Seirei no Moribito (2015, 2016)
Time travel: Suteki na Sen Taxi (2014)
Cats: Neko Zamurai (2 seasons from 2013)
Rom-com: Saigo Kara Nibanme no Koi (2 seasons from 2012)

CamelliaVan

Post by CamelliaVan » Jul 11th, '17, 13:37

:-) Hi guys, I am a very new member, and I need your help.
last year, I watched (the very first Jdrama in my life I must say) Suna no tou. Well, I am not familiar with Jdramas so much but I think it is a "slice of life", a little bit "detective" (?). Anyway, does anyone know where I can download Japanese subtitle of it? I am at the beginner level of studying Japanese.
And I think I will watch some of other dramas like Mahoro ekimae... for the sake of studying.
Thank you!

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Jul 11th, '17, 17:54

CamelliaVan wrote::-) Hi guys, I am a very new member, and I need your help.
last year, I watched (the very first Jdrama in my life I must say) Suna no tou. Well, I am not familiar with Jdramas so much but I think it is a "slice of life", a little bit "detective" (?). Anyway, does anyone know where I can download Japanese subtitle of it? I am at the beginner level of studying Japanese.
And I think I will watch some of other dramas like Mahoro ekimae... for the sake of studying.
Thank you!
You can find Japanese subtitles for it here: http://jpsubbers.web44.net/Japanese-Subtitles/ But they have not been timed to any videos.
See @Mains folder -> Year 2016 -> Fall Season -> 砂の塔

UsagiYojimbo
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber
Hungary

Post by UsagiYojimbo » Jul 11th, '17, 19:53

CamelliaVan wrote:... I think it is a "slice of life", a little bit "detective" (?) ...
If you looking for something similar, might be interested in Shinzanmono...

Unsend

Post by Unsend » Jul 12th, '17, 20:38

Thanks a lot Psi and kitty10. Quite a few of your recommendations sound really interesting.
Definitely going to check them out.
Especially the food related stuff ;)

Nabbit
United States of America

Post by Nabbit » Aug 18th, '17, 15:54

Hi all,

Was wondering what some of your favorite one-off SPs are?

Recently we've watched 2030 Kanata no Kazoku and Watashi ni Unmei no Koi Nante Arienaitte Omotteta. We thought the former was solid and the latter was great. Mikako and Issei were excellent.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

SusieQ

Post by SusieQ » Sep 18th, '17, 09:56

Catching up on Hello Harinezumi (great show), and after watching episode 4 I've developed a craving for a drama (or movie) about manga, or featuring a mangaka.

I've seen Juuhan Shuutai (it's one of my favourites!), Guu guu date neko (all versions), Naku na Haruchan, Kore de ii no da, Hondana Shokudou and one about the new editor for a male mangaka that masquerades as a woman (I forget the name of).

Please not just dramas based on manga. I've seen plenty of those.

Any recs besides those I've listed?

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Sep 18th, '17, 10:18

SusieQ wrote:Catching up on Hello Harinezumi (great show), and after watching episode 4 I've developed a craving for a drama (or movie) about manga, or featuring a mangaka.

I've seen Juuhan Shuutai (it's one of my favourites!), Guu guu date neko (all versions), Naku na Haruchan, Kore de ii no da, Hondana Shokudou and one about the new editor for a male mangaka that masquerades as a woman (I forget the name of).

Please not just dramas based on manga. I've seen plenty of those.

Any recs besides those I've listed?
You might want to try Yami no Bansosha: http://asianwiki.com/Partner_in_Darkness

Have you also seen Bakuman? http://asianwiki.com/Bakuman

SusieQ

Post by SusieQ » Sep 19th, '17, 11:17

I haven't seen Bakuman, no. I guess I was turned off because the anime wasn't my cup of tea. But I like the movie cast well enough so I'll check it out.

Now to find out if Yami no Bansosha has subs... My Japanese is so bad right now. :sweat: