Let's learn Japanese....

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
Jay D. LonelyWolf

Post by Jay D. LonelyWolf » Apr 30th, '13, 05:00

momst wrote:I think that 'ichiban' refers to what is the best (the number one thing). It can be used in other contexts besides refering to something that you like the best (such as when you identify the best sports team, movie of the year, etc). It can be used to refer to the number one thing of anything.

I think that daisuke would be like saying you like something very much, more than just a normal 'liking' (suki desu).
It's no "daisuke" but "daisuki", daisuke is a name, but you are right on the meaning you wanted to say ;)

forweg

Post by forweg » Apr 30th, '13, 07:26

I've learned the Hiragana, the 2000+ Joyou Kanji, and 800+ vocabulary words, yet I still stumble over the Katakana time and time again.

And people say they are supposed to be easier than the Hiragana. Drives me crazy!

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Apr 30th, '13, 09:40

forweg wrote:I've learned the Hiragana, the 2000+ Joyou Kanji, and 800+ vocabulary words, yet I still stumble over the Katakana time and time again.

And people say they are supposed to be easier than the Hiragana. Drives me crazy!
I'm not nearly at 2000 kanji yet, but I do try to read extensively, and I totally agree!
Some people say you can speed read Japanese, and this is true, except it feels like I've hit a speed bump every time there's a katakana word in the text. It doesn't seem to matter where I find it - during karaoke, reading subs, watching TV, or regular reading - I just stumble.
I have a theory as to why this might happen, but I just want to let it all out and share my frustration. :cussing:

P.S. Hated learning to write katakana, too. Hiragana, being the first, was not easy, but it didn't seem to aggravate me in the same way.

ginnikitty

Post by ginnikitty » Jul 11th, '13, 16:00

forweg wrote:I've learned the Hiragana, the 2000+ Joyou Kanji, and 800+ vocabulary words, yet I still stumble over the Katakana time and time again.
Omigosh, congratulations on even getting that far! I always find when I learn 10 more kanji I forget the past 20 :-(

But the problem with katakana for me is they're less likely to be found in vocab lists...they just expect us to suss it out because they're based on English words...place names are the worse for me especially メルボルン - kudos to you if you can guess where it is (clue: it's a city)

answer:
Melbourne

SummeryDreams

Post by SummeryDreams » Jul 18th, '13, 19:26

はじめまして、パウロです。。よろしくお願いします!

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Aug 10th, '13, 00:36

Help needed with a name.

Aa student from 3 nen B gumi Kinpachi-sensei (season 3)

浦明子, appearantly "明子" can be read *many* different ways according to Rikaichan.

No Japanese Wiki page exists for this person.
Nothing on AsianWiki, MyDramaList, YouTube (can help sometimes). Maybe I missed something with Google?

danburi
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by danburi » Aug 10th, '13, 00:51

Most standard way of reading that will be Ura Akiko.
I also found this page http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0209521/reviews-3 indicate that’s her name.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Aug 10th, '13, 00:56

danburi wrote:Most standard way of reading that will be Ura Akiko.
I also found this page http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0209521/reviews-3 indicate that’s her name.
Thank you very much danburi-san.
I thank that was the case, but I wasn't sure about Akiko, when I saw all the different ways it could be read.

SummeryDreams

Post by SummeryDreams » Aug 10th, '13, 03:26

Keiko1981 wrote:
danburi wrote:Most standard way of reading that will be Ura Akiko.
Thank you very much danburi-san.
I thank that was the case, but I wasn't sure about Akiko, when I saw all the different ways it could be read.
Sorry if this sounds frustrating, but just so you know. The only way you can 100% validate that is by asking the owner of the name itself. I've had start some threads related to Japanese name readings, and all of them informed me that the only way is to ask the owner itself.

david9988

Help me Please

Post by david9988 » Apr 26th, '15, 13:46

I want to learn Japanese language. Looking for someone help me to learn Japanese language. Also want someone friendly girl. :goggle:

drrintaro

Re: Help me Please

Post by drrintaro » Apr 26th, '15, 16:31

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I wrote a small "book" (it's only 30-40 pages long) that has (hopefully) useful info on how to learn Japanese, e.g. how to learn Kanji, what books you could use and in what order. Also explains some terminology that is often used. Sort of a "meta textbook" if you like; doesn't give you vocabulary lists, reading comprehensions etc. but rather tells you where to find them. Focus is on textbooks and reading/listening (useful for watching j dramas :P )

Link:

Can't help you with the friendly girl part unfortunately :-(

P.S. no idea if this kind of self-promotion is permitted on d-addicts. Feel free to delete this post if it's against the rules...

waldan41

Re: Let's learn Japanese....

Post by waldan41 » Jun 23rd, '18, 11:13

Konichiwa

Yanez
Italy

Post by Yanez » Jul 30th, '19, 03:08

Hi guys, I'd like to make a lil' joke about my personal dissatisfaction with the "Netflixication" of the J-drama scene by using as a reference/inspiration the adorably funny "Zetsubou Sensei" of the eponimous manga/anime (his catchphrase being "[due to this and that] Zetsuboushita!" = "I'm in despair!"). Is it correct if I write a sentence like this?

"Netflixドラマのせいで絶望した!!"

Thanks in advance for the help!

Image :D

Kenneth Thompson
Great Britain

Post by Kenneth Thompson » Oct 13th, '20, 19:01

I have always dreamed of learning Japanese.

hugowatson
United States of America

Post by hugowatson » Oct 14th, '20, 07:31

I was motivated by Miyazaki cartoons to learn Japanese. After seeing the masterpieces of this great cartoonist, I was very motivated to learn Japanese. I even wrote an article about it in college. About the cultural influence of Japan and Japanese culture on our Western culture. I did have problems with proofreading my article, but thanks to https://edubirdie.com/proofread-my-paper, everything was fine. Professionals took my article and edited it as good as possible.

shigechan

Post by shigechan » Feb 27th, '21, 12:15

I'm Japanese. Your sentence is correct. I snorted beer out of my nose when I read your post!
Yanez wrote: Jul 30th, '19, 03:08 Is it correct if I write a sentence like this?

"Netflixドラマのせいで絶望した!!"

Thanks in advance for the help!

Image :D

Yanez
Italy

Post by Yanez » Mar 19th, '21, 22:50

shigechan wrote: Feb 27th, '21, 12:15 I'm Japanese. Your sentence is correct. I snorted beer out of my nose when I read your post!
Arigatou shigechan! I owe you a beer then, LOL! :mrgreen:

Panino
Brazil

Post by Panino » Aug 28th, '21, 01:37

I'm studying by myself very slowly, and I started mostly to read, progress is happening, but besides studying more hours each day I really need to start doing "immersion". After all jdramas also interest me a lot, would be wonderful to be able to just get anything and just watch without having to care about subtitles. I picked up a short drama, "Hachigatsu wa Yoru no Batting Center de", to it raw and vish... I'm remembering now how it was when I started to watch things in english, when I could recognize just a random word in a phrase, at times, and everything else was just noise. My mind can't keep the concentration on what is coming from the characters mouths.

xploring

Post by xploring » Sep 4th, '21, 08:09

Hi, I was wondering if someone can share some tips or resources for learning to understand spoken Japanese in dramas. I only want to understand what I watch in dramas, don't need to read/write or speak at all, just wondering how to get started and what are some good routines or habits to get into. Being Chinese, I can read kanji, and I have been watching jdramas for 10+ years so understand some simple, common phrases.
Last edited by xploring on Aug 15th, '23, 05:43, edited 1 time in total.

stud1al
Australia

Post by stud1al » Aug 2nd, '23, 13:39

Alison courses is a good place to learn and it is free.