Suggestions to Expand DramaWiki

Everything related to DramaWiki (Wiki.D-Addicts.com) should be discussed here. Ask questions, post requests, suggestions, bugs etc.
Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Suggestions to Expand DramaWiki

Post by Ruroshin » Sep 19th, '18, 15:51

I would like to know your thoughts on:
  • Adding a "Review" section at the bottom of the page, before "External Links." Review needs to be detailed with at least 500 words. Multiple users can leave reviews under the same section by creating a new sub-section. Sub-section could look something like:

Code: Select all

=== Review by User:Ruroshin ===
  • Expand the "Main Cast" section. If possible, add description about the roles.
Also, please share any suggestion(s) that you have in mind. :thumleft:

eis

Re: Suggestions to Expand DramaWiki

Post by eis » Sep 20th, '18, 10:41

Unfortunately, these all run the risk of including spoilers or other things I just don't want to know about the dramas. They also result in unnecessary clutter. Reviews and comments can be found elsewhere, but one reason I specifically use dramawiki is so that I don't have to see them. I'm not sure about other English-language sites that have descriptions of roles, but having seen them in Japanese wikipedia, that's another thing that I wouldn't want to be subjected to without a choice.

Which brings me to my suggestion: If you implement any or all of these, could you implement a system where people would have to click on something in order to display them (eg. click here for reviews)? Otherwise I hope that these are not implemented so that we can keep dramawiki spoiler-free, clutter-free and streamlined, and just generally free from extra information that some people may not want to see (such as details about characters or another user's complains, praises, or analyses).

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Sep 20th, '18, 11:00

I'd say stick to what we've got and keep things clean.
As eis said, there are other sites focusing on reviews, and there's the discussion topics in the forum.

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Sep 20th, '18, 16:15

I agree about leaving reviews out of DramaWiki and just linking them. The entry for Sora Kara Furu Ichioku no Hoshi has two reviews which are not hidden, so people scrolling down would just see them and accidentally read them. The reviews don't contain key spoilers, but do have some impressions of key characters.

https://wiki.d-addicts.com/Sora_Kara_Fu ... u_no_Hoshi

I noticed some dramas have a relationship chart for the characters, so that would be nice to insert instead of more expansive description of roles.

eis

Post by eis » Sep 20th, '18, 17:03

kitty10 wrote: Sep 20th, '18, 16:15 I noticed some dramas have a relationship chart for the characters, so that would be nice to insert instead of more expansive description of roles.
I actually think this is a good idea. Either official correlation charts or even user-made ones. They provide only basic information and have to be clicked on to read, so anyone still not interested won't have to see the details.

nuve
Fansubber
Fansubber
Slovakia

Post by nuve » Sep 20th, '18, 17:31

i agree on coleration chart. i think they show enough info about characters and i think they are somehow more easily to read as block of text, especially when there are more roles involved.

dhisashi
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Sep 20th, '18, 21:28

I vote for a streamlined DramaWiki. As others have said there are other sites that have more detailed information but I use them infrequently.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Sep 20th, '18, 22:49

The problem we are facing at the moment is the drop in search traffic. From millions of users per month we are down to a few hundreds. If we don't expand wiki it will be hard to maintain it.
Adding reviews will provide visitors an informed choice about a drama. And it will also help us generate more search traffic. Websites like Asian wiki are killing us.

dhisashi
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Sep 20th, '18, 23:46

Ruroshin wrote: Sep 20th, '18, 22:49 The problem we are facing at the moment is the drop in search traffic. From millions of users per month we are down to a few hundreds. If we don't expand wiki it will be hard to maintain it.
Adding reviews will provide visitors an informed choice about a drama. And it will also help us generate more search traffic. Websites like Asian wiki are killing us.
Maybe the Question is: "Should DramaWiki Continue to be Maintained?" Is or was there income from DramaWiki that allowed you to keep D-Addicts going?
I am ignorant of the funding therefore I can not give an informed opinion.
:scratch:

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Sep 21st, '18, 00:00

dhisashi wrote: Sep 20th, '18, 23:46 Maybe the Question is: "Should DramaWiki Continue to be Maintained?"
Just because there's similar sites out there, I don't think DramaWiki should cease to exist. It's still being edited by volunteers and is a source of information.

janbo

Post by janbo » Sep 21st, '18, 00:47

I would like to see a teaser/trailer section with embedded videos.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Sep 21st, '18, 03:39

[mention]eis[/mention] [mention]kitty10[/mention] We don't want to add clutter to the top but, provide useful information that could be helpful to the user. The more detail, the better. Reviews and comments will always be kept at the bottom to avoid any accidental spoilers. We can add a spoiler warning in the review section that the user is well aware of it before scrolling further.

I don't know if you've checked the mobile version of DramaWiki, but all the sections are collapsed, except the first one. So, mobile users are safe from spoilers. A simple HTML tag can be added to collapse reviews for the desktop user.

Regarding roles, we can have a section that mentions the cast and another one that explains the role. That way you have the option to skip the section.

The problem with keeping skimpy information is that we're dropping in user engagement, search rankings and the drop is drastic. We went from seven to eight million users per month several years back to now, where we are barely crossing 600K mark.

[mention]Keiko1981[/mention] As I said before, we cannot continue with bare minimum information. It is not helping DramaWiki to grow. We have to turn the ship around; things can't stay the same anymore. Now, we have the only a handful of volunteers out of more than 3,300 that are helping to maintain and update the information. We need to up the engagement on DW. That's what is keeping this forum alive as well.

[mention]dhisashi[/mention] We absolutely cannot let DW die. It is a goldmine of information contributed by thousands of members. D-Addicts forum funding relies on it 100%.

PS: Added new extension, Simple Mentions--Now you can simply tag users with @ instead of quoting the whole post.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Sep 21st, '18, 04:14

[mention]Ruroshin[/mention] I'm just concerned that if a comment system is added to DramaWiki, then people might start requesting subs or posting links to various sites, as I've seen done elsewhere.

Make DramaWiki to something similar to MyDramaList if you want to increase engagement? Include a link at the fop of the forum to DramaWiki, and to the forum on the Main Page of the Wiki so users quickly can navigate between the two.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Sep 21st, '18, 04:40

[mention]Keiko1981[/mention] We're not going to open comments for anonymous users, yet. I'm not even sure we'll be adding comments section anytime soon. If we do, it will be strictly for member only.

I was thinking of adding a link to DW but I'm not sure if it will up the engagement. I'll look into it.

MyDramaList is way too complicated. I don't think we need to make that many modifications to improve. Adding more info and reviews can help us vastly improve engagement and organic traffic.

nuve
Fansubber
Fansubber
Slovakia

Post by nuve » Sep 21st, '18, 08:49

so, concept is to have a short synopsis about drama and then separate section for reviews?
it think in that way one won't see any more details, if not going to sectior for reviews.
some dramas now have very detailed infroamtion in synopsis, which I think is not neccessary (and it sometimes says too much)

dhisashi
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Sep 21st, '18, 15:27

Ruroshin wrote: Sep 21st, '18, 03:39 @dhisashi We absolutely cannot let DW die. It is a goldmine of information contributed by thousands of members. D-Addicts forum funding relies on it 100%.
I am guessing that the advertising revenue from the "hits" at DramaWiki is your concern then. If that is the case it is my opinion as a consumer that it is NOT the content of BUT rather the look and feel of DramaWiki versus AsianWiki's web sites.

DramaWiki is text based whereas AsianWiki is heavily graphics based and also has a lot of user interaction (User Ratings and Comments).
What is "AsianWiki"
AsianWiki is a website devoted to Asian films, television dramas, music (more coming later) and the performers behind these productions. Our website is powered by wiki software, the same as Wikipedia.org, which allows any visitor {member/user} to edit or add new pages.

Can I Make An Account?
Right now, user registration is closed. We are a small group of editors and we would rather spend our time making great content rather than monitoring new users. If you have a special skill that you would think would be helpful to us contact us through the ""Contact Form" above and we will consider making an account for you.
Also today there is much more use of mobile devices and if you look at the DramaWiki and AsianWiki for Segodon for example you will see that you can just scroll on AsianWiki, but have to click on many links to get the same data from DramaWiki on a mobile device. Plus the first item on DramaWiki is an Ad.

Sorry for such a long post but it is my opinion that more text will not help increase the "hits". Again it is only my opinion but I think that DramaWiki needs to improve its display especially for mobile devices. Put the synopsis first - not an ad. The more detailed stuff can follow. Use the Twitter model - keep the initial part short and sweet.
:scratch:

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Sep 21st, '18, 16:06

[mention]dhisashi[/mention] Organic traffic is the main concern. We have dramatically dropped in Google search and it is due to lack of content update, not look and feel.

DW's mobile look and usage are way better than AsianWiki right now, it wasn't in the past though. If you go to Wikipedia, you'll the same theme is being used for mobile. I like the collapsed section because it makes it much easier for the user to navigate and open the sections they have interest without scrolling too much. Sections are easy to open and collapse.

Text absolutely helps in improving organic search in Google. There's not much text on the top because users haven't been adding an overview of the show or the artist, which usually shows up first.

I don't understand what do you mean by the Twitter model. DW is not comparable to Twitter in any way. You can compare it to Wikipedia but not Twitter.

dhisashi
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Sep 21st, '18, 16:30

Ruroshin wrote: Sep 21st, '18, 16:06 @dhisashi Organic traffic is the main concern. We have dramatically dropped in Google search and it is due to lack of content update, not look and feel.

DW's mobile look and usage are way better than AsianWiki right now, it wasn't in the past though. If you go to Wikipedia, you'll the same theme is being used for mobile. I like the collapsed section because it makes it much easier for the user to navigate and open the sections they have interest without scrolling too much. Sections are easy to open and collapse.
Are you saying that seeing this first on my iPhone is way better??

dhisashi
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Sep 21st, '18, 16:37

Ruroshin wrote: Sep 21st, '18, 16:06 I don't understand what do you mean by the Twitter model. DW is not comparable to Twitter in any way. You can compare it to Wikipedia but not Twitter.
I simply mean that the initial display needs to make an impact by being short and to the point versus a lot of verbiage, not to make DW "Twitter-like".

What I wish to see is a brief synopsis first. That is the web site that would be my "go to" place.

:-)

catstreet

Post by catstreet » Sep 21st, '18, 16:41

Comments from registered members might be good if they're similar to Asianwiki's though I would worry about spoilers. If the review section is collapsable for both mobile and desktop, then that would be useful. I've not looked on the mobile site myself, so can't comment about its look or usage atm.

I think the idea of character maps and stuff is a great idea, I tend to find them quite useful myself!

xmiyax
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by xmiyax » Sep 21st, '18, 18:00

every title on IMDB has section called "Did You Know?" Trivia,Goofs,Quotes . I really would like to see it in Dramawiki

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Sep 21st, '18, 18:24

[mention]dhisashi[/mention] I meant it's better than Asianwiki:

Pushing past the ad only requires minimal scrolling. It's not that hard to do.

I will think about minimizing the ad but it can be a big hit to the revenue. It's not possible to have the ad appear in the middle of the text because it's all one element. The only place left after that is the footer. User barely reach the footer so, it's not a viable alternative.

I agree with moving the synopsis up but at this point it's not doable with 22,000+ articles. It would require a massive effort.

Twitter doesn't rely on Google for users. We can't go with short and sweet unless we have major direct traffic like Twitter. Google is all about the content.

dhisashi
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Sep 21st, '18, 19:59

Ruroshin wrote: Sep 21st, '18, 18:24 @dhisashi I meant it's better than Asianwiki:

Pushing past the ad only requires minimal scrolling. It's not that hard to do.

<big Snip>
This is where you and I disagree. AsianWiki displays a miniaturized initial display where you can see the first image without scrolling at all and their ads are really tiny (at least on my iPad and iPhone - can't speak to Android stuff). DramaWiki on the other hand - all you see is a big ad. You have to scroll immediately to view anything else.

The proof is in the pudding. AsianWiki gets much more traffic than DramaWiki not because of the difference in content, but because people prefer how it is displayed. Being old (I'm 74) I don't mind navigating the text based DramaWiki because I grew up with that on dial-up modems. But the younger generation is used to graphics.

Sorry, but that is my opinion and adding more text content to DramaWiki I do not feel will increase its "organic traffic". But that is just my opinion.

:notworthy:

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Sep 21st, '18, 22:35

[mention]dhisashi[/mention] How did you come with the conclusion that people prefer AsianWiki because how the content is displayed? Their website isn't optimized for mobile. I don't see any text when I open AsianWiki. All I see is tiny ads, a tiny picture and tiny text when you scroll down. I don't know how you consider that as a better mobile viewing experience.

It's the content and comments, which is also more content that helped them up their engagement as well as organic search. On some articles they have thousands of comments. What do you think that does for organic search? Pages constantly being updated is seen as a good signal by Google.

catstreet

Post by catstreet » Sep 21st, '18, 23:27

In my experience I think it depends on the phone sometimes as to how the page is displayed. I have a bigger phone screen so maybe that's the reason I can see more of the page than the screenshots above. I don't particularly think there's anything wrong with scrolling past the ad, it's not like it's on the main home page as soon as you land on it, but that's just my take on it haha.

I prefer DramaWiki's layout for finding dramas and so forth, and the only reason I go to AsianWiki normally is to check their upcoming drama list on the main page. I like DramaWiki for the fact you can break down what dramas aired and when, on which network and it's easy to navigate around.

It could be good to have trailers perhaps, but I'm not sure if that's really what the site intended. Would the review section on the desktop site be collapsible?

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Sep 22nd, '18, 01:56

The problem are not the ads. It is just we have less content than asian wiki. We hired some writers who will search and provide more info on various dramas. Asianwiki also has movies section, which we have to add sooner or later.
And the mobile friendly update we made is much better as it uses less data and opens up the page quickly.
Your concern about the ads has been duly noted and we will adjust the size.

narai225
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by narai225 » Sep 22nd, '18, 03:08

Is there any possibility to add a link to subtitles on a DramaWiki page when subs have been posted for it in the subtitle forum? Requiring registration (to access the subtitle forum) shouldn't be an issue for anyone interested, but is there any problem putting such a link on a publicly accessible web page?

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Sep 22nd, '18, 04:32

[mention]narai225[/mention] No, you cannot do it. Subtitle can only be shared on the forum. You can share DW link on the forum but not the other way around.

ZemusDS

Post by ZemusDS » Sep 22nd, '18, 06:08

"Hiring" more people is the first step in a good direction. Fact is, we have too few volunteers editing as it is. There has been a steady decline in activity since 2014. Especially on the Japanese drama side of things. The more that can help out, the better.

Madoka
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Madoka » Sep 22nd, '18, 17:51

While I can see the desire for more engagement in DramaWiki, I am also against reviews and comments. I was spoiled long ago by some stupid comment that really added nothing to the discussion. I don't really care about trailers, especially if they auto play.

This may not be on the Wiki side but of Wikipanion's side. I use that app on my phone to access Wikipedia. That app also allows you to add other wikis. In fact I found that you can add gaming wikis like Final Fantasy and Morrowind (UESP) Wikis to the app. However, I cannot find DramaWiki as an available Wiki. I would use/access DramaWIki more on my phone as Wikipanion will parse the sections into chapter headings at the bottom for easy navigation and has an efficient text display. Just a suggestion.

I would also be wiling to help edit the Wiki. I can't read Japanese so I'm useless getting source information, but many times I will notice incomplete cast listings when I watch dramas that I could help maintain.

narai225
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by narai225 » Sep 22nd, '18, 22:06

Ruroshin wrote: Sep 22nd, '18, 04:32 @narai225 No, you cannot do it. Subtitle can only be shared on the forum. You can share DW link on the forum but not the other way around.
Understood. But then what is the status of the Jdrama Fansub Map? Because it contains publicly accessible links to subs (in d-addicts and external sites).

dhisashi
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Sep 22nd, '18, 23:25

Without a Movie section for DramaWiki you are way behind the 8-ball versus AsianWiki then. These are just stats from AvistaZ:
Torrents ..... 50,651
Movies ........ 23,637
TV-Shows ....19,951
Music ............ 7,063
It looks like movies outnumber dramas at AvistaZ.

If content matters then movies should matter. If frequent updates matter then a clickable (so spoilers are not displayed immediately) Comments section could also make a difference.

I guess what I am saying is I don't know your meaning for the word "Expand". Sorry for my ignorance.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Sep 23rd, '18, 01:23

[mention]catstreet[/mention] Trailers can be added easily, but I don't know how other contributors feel about it.

Reviews can be made collapsible using simple HTML tag, which the reviewer or the editor has to add in each review. I don't see the need for hiding the reviews though, because it should be obvious that reviews may contain spoilers. We can also add a "spoiler warning" on the review section.

[mention]ZemusDS[/mention] We are starting out with pages that have the potential to bring significantly higher traffic, and from thereon we will move on to specific sections that have not seen many updates.

[mention]Madoka[/mention] You cannot use DW on WP because we have URL rewrite rule enabled, which is not allowed by WP.

[mention]narai225[/mention] Fansub will remain as it is and separate from DW as well. We are not making any changes to the Fansub Map as it will require massive cleanup to remove all the external and DA links.

[mention]dhisashi[/mention] Yes, we are missing out big time on movies. I certainly think that is something we can addon.

Do we really have to make reviews collapsible? Shouldn't it be obvious to the users when they arrive in the reviews section? Would having a spoiler's warning in the section heading be enough?

Let me make it clear what I meant by "Expand." I meant to ask and suggest how can we improve on the content that already exists, what else (new sections) can we add on artist and drama pages, and new categories to add like you mentioned movies.

takeda_shingen

Post by takeda_shingen » Sep 23rd, '18, 02:13

The wiki needing 1. an account at all (not sure what tools are available to prevent spam etc. from anonymous edits though), and 2. it being completely separate from the forum account seems a pretty high obstacle to "drive-by contributions" (small errors, typos... people notice while visiting but don't care enough to make an account).

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Sep 23rd, '18, 02:53

[mention]Takeda[/mention] We do not allow anonymous editing or automatic account creation due to spam.

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm looking into allowing DA forum user base to edit DW.

catstreet

Post by catstreet » Sep 23rd, '18, 11:02

Like Madoka, I'm also willing to volunteer to contribute as and when I can with edits and so forth. I also can't read much Japanese, but am willing to add a synopsis or missing cast members/actor's pages here and there.

I think reviews should be fine, if they under the important information and have a spoiler warning.

Movies would be a great addition to the site.

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Sep 23rd, '18, 17:58

I just checked up the entries for Good Doctor (Japanese version). Both the synopses read:

DramaWiki's:
"Shindo Minato has savant syndrome. His memory is amazing, but he has difficulty communicating with other people. When Minato was little, he dreamed of becoming a doctor. He met Doctor Shiga Akira and he wanted to become a pediatric surgeon. Akira was surprised by the 7-year-old's memory of the human organs and he decided to support Minato in achieving his dream. Eventually, Minato graduated from medical school and passed the national exam for medical practitioners. Now, Akira works as a director at a large hospital. He suggests to Minato to work in the pediatric surgery department at the hospital where he works."

AsianWiki's:
"Minato Shindo (Kento Yamazaki) has savant syndrome. His memory is amazing, but he has difficulty communicating with other people.

When Minato Shindo was little, he dreamed of becoming a doctor. He met Doctor Akira Shiga and he wanted to become a paediatric surgeon. Akira Shiga was surprised by the 7-year-old's memory of the human organs and he decided to support Minato Shindo in achieving his dream. Eventually, Minato Shindo graduated from medical school and passed the national exam for medical practitioners.

Now, Akira Shiga works as a director at a large hospital. He suggests to Minato Shindo to work in the pediatric surgery department at the hospital where he works."

They are word for word, bar the occasional repetition of "Minato Shindo" and "Akira Shiga". It's a small thing, but it bothers me that one is obviously copied off the other (I don't know which came first).

narai225
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by narai225 » Sep 23rd, '18, 19:03

kitty10 wrote: Sep 23rd, '18, 17:58 I just checked up the entries for Good Doctor (Japanese version). Both the synopses read:

DramaWiki's:
"Shindo Minato has savant syndrome. His memory is amazing, but he has difficulty communicating with other people. When Minato was little, he dreamed of becoming a doctor. He met Doctor Shiga Akira and he wanted to become a pediatric surgeon. Akira was surprised by the 7-year-old's memory of the human organs and he decided to support Minato in achieving his dream. Eventually, Minato graduated from medical school and passed the national exam for medical practitioners. Now, Akira works as a director at a large hospital. He suggests to Minato to work in the pediatric surgery department at the hospital where he works."

AsianWiki's:
"Minato Shindo (Kento Yamazaki) has savant syndrome. His memory is amazing, but he has difficulty communicating with other people.

When Minato Shindo was little, he dreamed of becoming a doctor. He met Doctor Akira Shiga and he wanted to become a paediatric surgeon. Akira Shiga was surprised by the 7-year-old's memory of the human organs and he decided to support Minato Shindo in achieving his dream. Eventually, Minato Shindo graduated from medical school and passed the national exam for medical practitioners.

Now, Akira Shiga works as a director at a large hospital. He suggests to Minato Shindo to work in the pediatric surgery department at the hospital where he works."

They are word for word, bar the occasional repetition of "Minato Shindo" and "Akira Shiga". It's a small thing, but it bothers me that one is obviously copied off the other (I don't know which came first).
The from the View History tab, it seems that the scenario was added to the DW version in its original version dated May 27. I don't see any easy way to find when the scenario was added in AsianWiki, though I haven't used that site in years. However the original posting was May 26.

Interestingly, when I plug "Shindo Minato has savant syndrome" into Google search, I find AsianWiki but not DW listed. Also, the iMDB entry has the same description - Good Doctor - Plot

But why no Google search entry for DW? Even a search on "good doctor japanese drama" got a similar result. Again, asianwiki is at the top.

ZemusDS

Post by ZemusDS » Sep 23rd, '18, 19:30

The source is AsianWiki. I removed the synopsis. It's actually against DramaWiki policy to copy others work, especially without citing the source.

Feel free to write new original summary.

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Sep 24th, '18, 01:40

narai225 wrote: Sep 23rd, '18, 19:03 But why no Google search entry for DW? Even a search on "good doctor japanese drama" got a similar result. Again, asianwiki is at the top.
There is. It's on page 2 of the search results. Wikipedia's entry was top for me, then came AsianWiki when I searched "good doctor japan".

If IMDB's plot description is the same, it's likely AsianWiki's one is also taken from IMDB? Or is it the other way round? Either way, it's not good.

Thanks for removing the copied entry, Zemus. If no one else comes up with a new entry, I'll see if I can write one - I'm doing a post for my blog and can use that.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Sep 24th, '18, 07:20

[mention]Ruroshin[/mention] There is one thing that DramaWiki is lacking compared to most other Asian related databases, and that is a social media presence.

Now if we should spend time on it, or if people want to help out is something else. But if it's done it would probably increase traffic.

Using the existing Twitter (if possible) or create a new one and let a few people (3-5) have access to it who can post news and referring DramaWiki.

D-Addicts Twitter
There's Twitter account for DramaWiki, but it hasn't been updated in a long time.
Not sure about Facebook, I'm not active there. Google+ I don't think there's a page for DramaWiki.

nuve
Fansubber
Fansubber
Slovakia

Post by nuve » Sep 24th, '18, 09:48

Keiko1981 wrote: Sep 24th, '18, 07:20 Using the existing Twitter (if possible) or create a new one and let a few people (3-5) have access to it who can post news and referring DramaWiki.

D-Addicts Twitter
There's Twitter account for DramaWiki, but it hasn't been updated in a long time.
Not sure about Facebook, I'm not active there. Google+ I don't think there's a page for DramaWiki.
+1 this

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Sep 24th, '18, 18:13

Hi,
the social media accounts were set up by User:Msmall92 in 2015... read User_talk:MoerkJ#Social_medias for the history. I never got the passwords for the accounts and Msmall92 hasn't used the twitter/facebook accounts after making a few tweets/posts. :-(

:idea: Technically it should be possible that DramaWiki creates a tweet whenever a page on DW is created or modified. See Extension:TweetANew for examples.

Regarding movies on DramaWiki: We never wanted to create pages for movies because other websites already covered that when we started. You can find info on many popular movies on Wikipedia already. When we started DW the English Wikipedia had almost no information about dramas at all.

Btw, this forum had its biggest traffic in the early years when we had movie torrents. So, movie pages could attract more readers. Trailers for movies/dramas could be integrated through linking to existing youtube trailers or through YouTube_extensions.

--MoerkJ :salut:

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Sep 24th, '18, 18:34

Suggestions duly noted. I will try to add the feasible ones.

We have to start on movies as new movies are highly searched by users and we can expand our user base. Bottom line is we have to expand to survive.

narai225
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by narai225 » Sep 24th, '18, 18:37

kitty10 wrote: Sep 24th, '18, 01:40
narai225 wrote: Sep 23rd, '18, 19:03 But why no Google search entry for DW? Even a search on "good doctor japanese drama" got a similar result. Again, asianwiki is at the top.
There is. It's on page 2 of the search results. Wikipedia's entry was top for me, then came AsianWiki when I searched "good doctor japan".
True, but it well established that most users of Google search will not go to page 2. In fact, it is unlikely they will click on any link below the first 3-5 entries (possibly even less on a smartphone). If I were a random user, on your search I would stop after the first two, and never get to DramaWiki.
Placement on search engine results is a far larger topic, but should be addressed as a means to improve site traffic.

narai225
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by narai225 » Sep 24th, '18, 18:50

Ruroshin wrote: Sep 24th, '18, 18:34 Suggestions duly noted. I will try to add the feasible ones.

We have to start on movies as new movies are highly searched by users and we can expand our user base. Bottom line is we have to expand to survive.
But don't forget about upcoming dramas. For example, I checked two Autumn 2018 titles that don't have pages yet in DW (Bokura wa Kiseki de Dekite Iru and Black Scandal), and both have reasonably complete data on AsianWiki.

ZemusDS

Post by ZemusDS » Sep 24th, '18, 19:01

[mention]narai225[/mention] Yes, they will be created eventually. We have limited manpower editing and creating pages. It takes time. Out of all Autumn 2018 JDrama articles created, the majority have been created by me alone. As I mentioned before, any help is appreciated.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Sep 24th, '18, 19:02

Dramas are our top priority. We need more contributors. :unsure: How do we find more contributors?

catstreet

Post by catstreet » Sep 24th, '18, 19:21

I just recently registered for an account so I can help contribute, if that's okay.

I have some previous social media experience if anyone needs me to help out with twitter or something. I'm willing to volunteer in any way I can :)

subie06
Fansubber
Fansubber
United States of America

Post by subie06 » Sep 24th, '18, 19:56

I also just registered and can contribute in any way I can.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Sep 25th, '18, 06:55

[mention]Keiko1981[/mention] [mention]nuve[/mention] New social media accounts will be coming soon. I need a few people who would like to take charge of the accounts, instead of just one person updating or having the access.

Pétalo

Post by Pétalo » Sep 25th, '18, 17:31

I am all for preserving DramaWiki clear out of reviews and comments. However, if it's a must to improve the search traffic, then please keep them in collapsible sections, that don't auto-expand upon reaching them. Moreover, I, for one, don't find having a spoiler's warning in the section heading would be enough, as I grew weary of exsessive scrolling, just to skip the least favourite section, onto further references and external links. :sweat:

narai225
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by narai225 » Sep 25th, '18, 17:35

@Ruroshin Is there any data on DW access for current/upcoming dramas vs. older ones (say 2 years old or more)?
While a lot of activity is no doubt regarding recent and upcoming releases, DW is much stronger regarding older data than AsianWiki.
As far as I could quickly tell, AsianWiki only goes back to 2007 and some earlier info seems sketchy.

If so, is it possible to leverage this somehow? There were many classics 10-20 years ago, after all.

A couple of obvious examples:
Long Vacation - OK in DW but no synopsis in AsianWiki
Age 35 Koishikute - OK in DW (synopsis could be better) vs. no entry in AsianWiki

Or maybe it is not material in terms of website activity, but I thought it would be worth asking.

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Sep 26th, '18, 03:58

narai225 wrote: Sep 25th, '18, 17:35 @Ruroshin Is there any data on DW access for current/upcoming dramas vs. older ones (say 2 years old or more)?
While a lot of activity is no doubt regarding recent and upcoming releases, DW is much stronger regarding older data than AsianWiki.
As far as I could quickly tell, AsianWiki only goes back to 2007 and some earlier info seems sketchy.

If so, is it possible to leverage this somehow? There were many classics 10-20 years ago, after all.

A couple of obvious examples:
Long Vacation - OK in DW but no synopsis in AsianWiki
Age 35 Koishikute - OK in DW (synopsis could be better) vs. no entry in AsianWiki

Or maybe it is not material in terms of website activity, but I thought it would be worth asking.
DramaWiki does have quite a lot of info on the older dramas. Oshin, for example, even had a section on the drama's impact in the Middle East, which I found quite interesting. I think details like this can be good for the casual reader.

AsianWiki is less consistent on entries for older dramas, for sure. It has entries on some 2005 shows like One Litre of Tears and Nobuta wo Produce. I also found an entry for the 2004 drama Itoshi Kimi e, and 2002's Nurse no Oshigoto (bet nobody watches this except diehard Fujiki Naohito fans, lol).

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Oct 18th, '18, 01:44

[mention]Ruroshin[/mention] A couple of questions about the blog.

Do the ones who write the articles actually know something or have interest in Asian dramas? (If not, that will shine through.) Does anyone proofread the articles before they're published? And finally what does tech articles have to do with Asian dramas?

I can think of some who would fit as editors [mention]Akiramike[/mention] Hamsapsukebe, Chiaki of Dorama World or Jade Frost of Jdrama Weblog. Kappy and maybe some others over at A Virtual Voyage who's focusing on CDramas. But it's up to them and others to decide if they're interested and have time for it.

And this https://d-addicts.com/dramafever-is-gon ... line/2018/

Why not just link to legitimate streaming sites. All I've heard about KissAsian is that they're notorious for stealing fansubs (D-Addicts being one of the places).

Madoka
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Madoka » Oct 22nd, '18, 00:20

Keiko1981 wrote: Oct 18th, '18, 01:44All I've heard about KissAsian is that they're notorious for stealing fansubs (D-Addicts being one of the places).
Truth. The subs of Chihayafuru ~Tsunagu~ are basically Ais's subs, but at least they left the credits in that one.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Oct 22nd, '18, 02:57

[mention]Keiko1981[/mention] Yes, the writer who writes about Asian dramas is familiar with it. As far as the tech and other articles go, they are added to bring in additional revenue as entertainment niche generates low revenue. I'm keeping it separate and under the rest of the Asian entertainment articles.

I will create a post on the blog for new contributors and editors to apply.

I have edited the "DramaFever" article and removed all the illegitimate sites. :thumleft:

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Oct 22nd, '18, 06:34

[mention]Ruroshin[/mention] Thank you for answering my questions and taking a look at it. :)

PannenkoekenNL

Post by PannenkoekenNL » Nov 1st, '18, 13:46

https://wiki.d-addicts.com/File:Iryu_Sosa_Special_1.jpg
Could someone rename this file to special 2? As the image is of the second special.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » May 9th, '19, 20:58

Article in Norwegian about styling your home with gray pillows.

Really?! At least write in English if you're going to post this drivel completely unrelated to Asian entertainment. :glare:

octavia

Post by octavia » Jun 5th, '19, 04:18

It has already been mentioned above but I think it would be really good if somebody opens a new twitter account for dramawiki :roll