Help with BitComet please!

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
Sangwoo-oppa

Help with BitComet please!

Post by Sangwoo-oppa » Jun 2nd, '05, 01:02

Hi everyone,

I just downloaded BitComet to download Bit Torrent files but for some odd reason, the uploads are sooo slow. I used to use just a plain Bit Torrent program and the uploads were usually around 40-50 KB/s. But now they're only about 5 KB/s or so. I want to share as much as possible to everyone who might need what I've downloaded. If anyone is using BitComet, can you tell me how I can adjust the upload feature so that I can seed more of my files to others? Please help, thank you so much! :mrgreen:

------------------------------

(posted by "heocoi")
OPTIMIZING BITCOMET'S SPEED!!

First, My download speed is around 30kb/s for 10 downloads and I did not know how max speed BitComet download is. Then I went to forums of BitComet and I found this guide http://www.p2pforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=99434#99434 . I did exactly the guide and now I can say that the download speed extreme fast, download speed is almost 200kb/s for 10 downloads . One more time, I appreciate to a person whose nick is Dragosami.

Kai Lien
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Kai Lien » Jun 2nd, '05, 01:18

go to the individual torrent you want to seed and click on properties >> advanced tab>> enable task specific settings and set a high # for minimum upload rate to keep.

That should make it better. :-)

Sangwoo-oppa

Post by Sangwoo-oppa » Jun 2nd, '05, 01:23

Kai Lien,

WOOHOO thanks soo much for the tip. It worked, it worked. The uploads shot up like a rocket!!! :lol :P THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Woohoo, more sharing means faster downloads, too. Yipee! Thank you!!! :D

xiaoxian86

Post by xiaoxian86 » Jun 2nd, '05, 01:37

wow..i didnt know that. I thought i couldnt control it. Because i do uploads and downloads at the same time..the uploads always seem so slow..now i know why :D

sweetsweet
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sweetsweet » Jun 3rd, '05, 12:11

is Bitcomet faster than other Bittorrent download clients ... i'm using Bittornado but since most people nowadays are using Bitcomet so i wonder if it faster? .. :-)
anyway , i downloaded the program , rite now installing it to computer ..I will just have to test whether the program is better than Bittornado :glare:

mutinous

Need Help Configuring Bitcomet

Post by mutinous » Jun 19th, '05, 20:31

Hi,

need Help!

I've decided to switch to my laptop to download dramas. i've downloaded Bitcomet and my upload speed is waaaaaaaaaaaaay greater than my download speed ~ 5kb - 15kb the max i saw!

I've been reading on how to configure bittorrent and i am no expert in these things but i know that i have to add bitcomet to allow it to go through my firewall. when i search for the firewall icon in "control panel", i found that the Windows i am using is Pack 1 and i can't updated to Windows Pack 2 :blink

can someone help me figure out how to open my ports since the test i took gave me a "fail"

greatly appreciat you advice and help...
Attachments
Upload greater than download
Upload greater than download
upload.JPG (23.21 KiB) Viewed 12918 times

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Need Help Configuring Bitcomet

Post by jholic » Jun 21st, '05, 08:32

mutinous wrote:i found that the Windows i am using is Pack 1 and i can't updated to Windows Pack 2
??
why not? just go to windowsupdate.microsoft.com and update to 'service pack 2'.

Kai Lien
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Kai Lien » Jun 21st, '05, 08:52

to lower your ul speed just go to the particular torrent go to properties>>advanced>>limit your ul speed to a certain # you want. Or lower the it globally in the preferences. I'm doing this at the top of my head but try it and see if it helps.

ErickDM

Post by ErickDM » Jul 8th, '05, 03:31

sweetsweet wrote:is Bitcomet faster than other Bittorrent download clients ... i'm using Bittornado but since most people nowadays are using Bitcomet so i wonder if it faster? .. :-)
anyway , i downloaded the program , rite now installing it to computer ..I will just have to test whether the program is better than Bittornado :glare:

Oh!! And what was your conclusion then?? Is it faster?? Easier to use?? :-)

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » Jul 8th, '05, 03:50

ErickDM wrote:
sweetsweet wrote:is Bitcomet faster than other Bittorrent download clients ... i'm using Bittornado but since most people nowadays are using Bitcomet so i wonder if it faster? .. :-)

Oh!! And what was your conclusion then?? Is it faster?? Easier to use?? :-)
It makes no difference what type of client you are using since they all work the same. If you feel comfortable in one client, then why change it?

Smartscience

Post by Smartscience » Jul 8th, '05, 11:17

BitComet certainly uses less CPU than most other cleints, which might translate into faster download speeds if you're downloading on a machine with a lot of other things running (say, a video player?). The other main advantage is that all downloads can go through a single port, which if you're stuck behind a restrictive firewall might allow more simultaneous downloads.

dznutz

Post by dznutz » Jul 20th, '05, 01:05

you can set global min and max uplod by going to options, preferences, and task.

normally setting speeds at "default" will allow you to upload/download at max UNLESS your resources are strained. bitcomet gets a set amount of resource to use. those of us with a dialup connection won't ever need to mess around with the preferences. however,faster transfer speeds = more resources utilized. for those of us with faster connections tweek it by going to options - preferences - disk cache. i set mine at 600 since i do some heavy duty transfer. remember, setting it higher will allow it to use more cpu but prevent the client from not seeding after completion and more importantly prevents it from crashing.

go to stats to see your client's disk cache.
Attachments
disk cache.JPG
disk cache.JPG (52.17 KiB) Viewed 12843 times

Templar

Post by Templar » Jul 20th, '05, 01:14

Unless your machine is really ancient the torrent program you use shouldn't make any difference on UL/DL speed. I'm using Azureus and my machine certainly isn't state of the art and I have no troubles.

dznutz

Post by dznutz » Jul 20th, '05, 01:21

Templar wrote:Unless your machine is really ancient the torrent program you use shouldn't make any difference on UL/DL speed. I'm using Azureus and my machine certainly isn't state of the art and I have no troubles.
it's because azureus uses java and was designed to take a lot of cpu for maximum performance.

bitcomet, on the other hand, requires tweeking if the user has a phat connection.

reydevan

How to Use BitComet??

Post by reydevan » Jul 23rd, '05, 16:07

i'm so sorry to bother u guys out ther...this question may have been asked several times oready bt hope sumone can help me...........i juz downloaded BitComet....can i noe how i can use it to dl K dramas n stuff?? Any tutorials i can read to understand? Managed to conquer Clubbox, hope i can get tru this oso..................

Secondly, wher can i find torrent k dramas?? tkz alot peeps....reali appreciate ur help.............

Kenjin_Domini

Post by Kenjin_Domini » Jul 23rd, '05, 17:01

ok torrents are one of the easiest things in the world...and bitcomet made them easier
so this should be easy, if you have a question on a specific procedure please ask your question in English.

ok, goto the TORRENT section of this site; you'll see a table full of asian drama, they are all links to specific forums that have the torrent link for that show and episode.
the first colum lists the type of file it is (kdram, jdrama, OST, tv, twdrama, ect)
there's is also a search bar right above the table to the right.
when you find the show and episode you would like to download, click on it in the table and you'll be brought to its forum, above the forum you should see a small table with a link to the torrent file and the number of seeds/peers/completed, wheather or not its subtitled, and what type of file it is (kdrama,jdrama,ect)
there should be a synopsis in the first post ( but not always)
procced to click on the torrent link, a bitcomet window should pop up momentarialy if not instantly, pick a download folder (in settings you can set a default one or you can always use the default on it sets up for you) then at the bottom of the window it will list all the files in the torrent and if its a batch where you dont need all of the files then you can uncheck the ones you don't want it to download
then click [OK] (or whatever the button of affirmation is named)
then bitcomet will take care of the rest your file will begin downloading almost immediatly

that should cover all of the basics
enjoy teh kdrama's (check out bodyguard, its the best)

reydevan

Post by reydevan » Jul 23rd, '05, 17:13

tkx alot for replying.............i saw this "Top 10 Torrents requiring seeding" so i can only choose from these 10 each time i log in is it? if i m not wrong, i believe the top 10 will keep changing rite?

wat are seeds, UL, DL and Done by the way?

tkx again............

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » Jul 23rd, '05, 17:42

reydevan wrote:tkx alot for replying.............i saw this "Top 10 Torrents requiring seeding" so i can only choose from these 10 each time i log in is it? if i m not wrong, i believe the top 10 will keep changing rite?

wat are seeds, UL, DL and Done by the way?

tkx again............
The "Top 10 Torrents Requiring Seeding" means that many people are waiting for someone to seed the drama for them so that they can completely finish the file. Look at the link I posted below before you can figure out what I mean by "seed".

The best way to find all you kdramas is to use the kdrama tab in the torrent page and combine that with the "search" button to find the specific drama you want.

For all other questions about bittorrent, read this and all other FAQ's just to make your life a lot easier.

kellytranie

Bitcomet speed

Post by kellytranie » Jul 23rd, '05, 21:57

Hi how is everyone doing? I'm a new member here and I have a question about Bitcoment. I just installed bitcomet on my computer to download dramas from this site, but I have a problem with it. I already followed the guide from the suggestions that someone suggested, but I doesn't work. The problem is that the speed is tooooooo slow and I already went in preferences go to connection and set both of my Global max upload and download rate to 8640, but the speed is still very slow. The download and upload is only 1KB. And I download from yesterday till today but it is only 9%. can someone please help. I am not really clever as many of you from this forum, so can you please give detail steps. Thanks for you help. I really appreciated it.

severmine

Post by severmine » Jul 23rd, '05, 22:07

You can be behind a firewall, if you are disable it or make bt an exception. Another prob
could be the fact that you're on a router, if you are you have to forward some ports. To
forward those ports you'll have to go to the site of your connection and they'll have
tuts. on how to do it.

heocoi

For Who wanna Optimize Download Speed BitComet

Post by heocoi » Jul 24th, '05, 08:29

OPTIMIZING BITCOMET'S SPEED!!

First, My download speed is around 30kb/s for 10 downloads and I did not know how max speed BitComet download is. Then I went to forums of BitComet and I found this guide http://www.p2pforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=99434#99434 . I did exactly the guide and now I can say that the download speed extreme fast, download speed is almost 200kb/s for 10 downloads . One more time, I appreciate to a person whose nick is Dragosami.

raider73

Is port-forwarding necessary for Bitcomet????

Post by raider73 » Aug 11th, '05, 13:37

I keep reading different information. Some states you have to have port forwarding and some states you don't have to have port forwarding w/ Bitcomet. I thought you don't need to because Bitcomet has the listening port function. Can someone here give me the correct answer. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Deleted User 2067

Post by Deleted User 2067 » Aug 11th, '05, 13:53

just open the litsening port in your router, if you are using winxp and router with UPNP Support you don't have to do anything. btw most routers this days support UPNP. UPDATE your routers firmware :)

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » Aug 16th, '05, 15:33

Not to me. I recently switched over to Bitcomet because so many say that it is better than BitTornado. but with BitTornado my dls were much faster. True, its great being able to queue the downlaods and not have all the windows open like with BT. But it isn't worth it. But I'm still trying to stick with it, atleast for a little longer. But if it doesn't improve, I'm going to switch back, or atleast give Azureus a try.

epjcg

Post by epjcg » Aug 22nd, '05, 00:16

hi! im new at this whole bitcomet thing and i know this may sound stupid, but I got the thing to download, but now i can't seem to open it up and play it. is there something specific i have to do first? or am i just really stupid and im not doing it right?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Aug 22nd, '05, 09:38

st_heaven

Post by st_heaven » Sep 9th, '05, 05:55

there's one thing i'm not to sure bout bitcomet... does it allow you to help spot seed peers with 99.5% complete that kind while uploading? cuz in i've just switched to bitcomet recently after my bittornado's giving me a problems lately.. @_@

pexer616

Post by pexer616 » Sep 11th, '05, 07:23

i experienced the same problem. i used to download 80kb/s for 10 dls...but these past few days, it slowed to just 14kb/s! i was so frustrated! i tried all the suggestions here but nothing seems to work. i checked with my isp and took the bandwidth test. the result was just around 120kbps...around 14kb/s, does this mean i cant do anything? hope someone can tell me the proper way of speeding up my downloads. im on dsl by the way. thanks!

gloria83

bicomet installation...

Post by gloria83 » Sep 12th, '05, 15:07

i can't seem to download this program? can someone help me?

muss69

Post by muss69 » Sep 12th, '05, 16:02

isn't it supposed to be bitcomet?

ThangDiengXD

Post by ThangDiengXD » Sep 12th, '05, 16:05

cant download?...ErRrrr...
Well...ur using any dl programs? and wad link are u using lemmi test it..i think its juss a dead link..

kapaka

Post by kapaka » Sep 14th, '05, 04:06

CAREFUL WITH BITCOMET
the resume from other clients doesn't work. It erases the previously downloaded partial file. :x

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » Sep 14th, '05, 04:07

kapaka wrote:CAREFUL WITH BITCOMET
the resume from other clients doesn't work. It erases the previously downloaded partial file. :x
How so?

kapaka

Post by kapaka » Sep 14th, '05, 04:34

Don't know.
Had this file at 95% downloaded with bittorrent. Decided to try bitcomet because I believe it is bittornado with a queue list and was annoyed with having so many windows open, some to seed and some to download. So I simply followed directions and pointed the .torrent to the folder with the partially downloaded file and, Pouf!! It has gone back to zero. Now I'm connected again and redownloadin' the file. Dammit!

patty

Post by patty » Sep 22nd, '05, 10:39

hey! i'm using bitcomet. At first nothing goes wrong. I've opened my port as well. But somehow now things started to go wrong. I'm unable to connect to any peers and seeds and my torrent jus cant start dling. Can anyone pls tell me wad to do? plssss . thanks

posaune85

Bitcomet noobie

Post by posaune85 » Nov 14th, '05, 21:23

Hi...i've just switched from Bitlord to Bitcomet...didnt know how evil Bitlord was...but after i uninstalled it...my laptop seemed to b retarded...and now with Bitcomet...i dunno my torrents arent working. they wouldnt connect to peer and even when it does...its just one peer and everything stuck at 0kb/s...my internet connection works fine...but just BT not working. issit something to do with Bitlord or is my IP blocked or something. the tracker seemed to b working fine for me but no one would connect and i cant see any seeds...some error msgs:
Windows XP ICS Status: cannot find working ICS.
Windows XP UPnP Status: Error occur when Adding Port Mapping!

please help...

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » Nov 15th, '05, 04:53

Check this link out because I think someone might have a solution for you --> What is ICS?

posaune85

Post by posaune85 » Nov 15th, '05, 16:48

hihi thanks so much...hmmm but my BT is still not working very well...i dunno why :(

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » Nov 16th, '05, 00:14

How are you connecting to the internet?

kodoko

Error message in BitComet Log

Post by kodoko » Dec 31st, '05, 13:58

I am using Bit Comet to download, there is no problem but I saw the message in my log as below:
Windows XP ICF Status: Firewall port is opened.
Windows XP ICS Status: cannot find working ICS.

Please kindly advise what is working ICS?? :blink

Thanks in advance!!!!

Lowest

Post by Lowest » Dec 31st, '05, 14:14

You might want to think of switching from Bitcomet anyway since it seems to be getting banned from trackers

Windows XP ICF = Internet Connection Firewall
Windows XP ICS = Internet Connection Sharing

The firewall seems to be okay, but I think you need to open the ports on your router..

kodoko

Post by kodoko » Dec 31st, '05, 15:39

I have already do port forwarding at my router, does it means that it is not sucessful? Any recommendation which torrent client should i switch to?Many Thanks for your help.

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » Dec 31st, '05, 15:49

Lowest

Post by Lowest » Dec 31st, '05, 15:51

Well, if you have port forwarding set up and you're downloading fine then, from what I've read, you can just ignore the problem.

tee668w

The perfect settings for bitcomet...

Post by tee668w » Jan 12th, '06, 09:47

Does anyone know the perfect settings for bitcomet, ? Should i put everything on high priority? How do i get the best download speed

vietunit

Post by vietunit » Mar 20th, '06, 00:22

there are no perfect settings . everyone's is diff

LdyKlutzy

Post by LdyKlutzy » May 6th, '06, 03:23

Can someone help me configure the settings for Bitcomet? I need it to get pass my BitDefender firewall/anti-virus =X 'Cause I lost all of my remote peers after I installed my firewall >.<

gixo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gixo » May 8th, '06, 22:11

Can someone explain me what happened with my download? I dl a batch of 4 episodes some weeks ago and I was done 100% for each episode. Today I saw that there were some leechers but no seeders so I restarted the torrent again to seed. What happened now is, I am only on 75% in total. 2 episodes are done, one has about 98%, but the last episode went down to 15%. I don't understand this. Even when I open the file now, it only shows the first 7 min (15%) where is the rest? Eaten by bitcomet?!!
I mean I know that this can happen while using batch because of trash MBs etc. But my file went down from 100% to 15%! :cussing:

Cococokie

Post by Cococokie » May 9th, '06, 06:27

Try this settings.
Attachments
bitcomet.gif
bitcomet.gif (82.86 KiB) Viewed 7895 times

gracepham

Very slow download speed

Post by gracepham » May 12th, '06, 22:17

Hello Cococokie and all other friends here,

I've done exactly whatever the instruction posted here said. I've updated the pack 2 and have done with the firewall. I've tried all, once exactly as your given information and many other times with my adjustment but there seemed to be no difference with my bitcomet; still very slow speed at average of 15 to 20 k/s for ten files. I am extremely frustated with this bitcomet thing. I don't know how you could have it run at such amazing speed as at over 100 to 200 k/s?!! Anybody here who has experienced the same thing please help me out with this. Hope to hear from you soon. Many thanks!

Cococokie

Post by Cococokie » May 13th, '06, 03:27

You got to see is there any seeders or peers.

Seeders = Uploaders only
Peers = Downloaders and Uploading
Lichers = Download only

If seeders + peers = about 10, you get average download speed of 1-10kbs.
If seeders + peers = about 100, you get average download speed of 40-50kbs.
If seeders + peers = about 1000, you get average download speed of 100-400kbs.
If seeders + peers = about 3000, you get average download speed of 150-600kbs.
If seeders + peers = about 10000, you will want to cap the speed right (Unless you want to crash your system)?

For me, the max I can go is 160kbs cap. It will start to lag my bitcomet when it goes beyond 200kbs, and eats up a lot of process(PF) memory of about 100K-200K+.

You also have to look at the Disk Caching.
If you have 50 download task and your maximum disk cache is 50MB, you wouldnt be enough and will also affect your slow download speed.

anyala

Post by anyala » May 16th, '06, 10:42

Hi, anyone can help me solve this problem...

I have finished dling a file thru bitcomet....what happen is the type of the file still in BC file

it has no problem to be played in computer but when i tried to encoded the english subs into the file ...it cannot be done...what should i do???

i really like to hardsub the file so i could burn it and watch it in my TV screen

thanks so much in advance..

Cococokie

Post by Cococokie » May 17th, '06, 16:26

Go to bitcomet:

Preference -> Task -> (uncheck) the Add .bc! file extension for incomplete files.
After that, right click on the task, stop it first then Manual Hash Check.

Done, that will remove teh .bc extension.

anyala

Post by anyala » May 19th, '06, 03:39

Cococokie wrote:Go to bitcomet:

Preference -> Task -> (uncheck) the Add .bc! file extension for incomplete files.
After that, right click on the task, stop it first then Manual Hash Check.

Done, that will remove teh .bc extension.
Thanks a lot Cococokie...wow it really helps...thank you....

edit:
but quick qs: my bitcomet is not permanently installed in the compie...since i dled it thru my uni compie......so can i still remove the bc extention???thanks again in advance... :salut:

p.s: i like your nick very much... :lol

raspb3rry

Post by raspb3rry » May 21st, '06, 09:10

This just started happening a few hours ago. BitComet would begin downloading, but then within 5 mins, there is an error and BitComet is required to shutdown. I'm currently using version 0.67. I'm just wondering if theres a bug with BitComet, or if there's a problem with the bittorent itself. Any ideas?

gracepham

Post by gracepham » May 24th, '06, 14:55

Could anyone here please help me out with this, I check with my control panel at System, Event Viewer and see that there are lots of WARNING in my computer but they are not the tcpip 4226 fault as posted in the first page. My warnings are ftdisk and W32Time. Please tell me what to do to get rid of all of these warnings. Thanks!

azndgn26

Post by azndgn26 » Jun 1st, '06, 00:29

-deleted-

edit: prob solved
Last edited by azndgn26 on Jun 29th, '06, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.

rachel_w3n

Post by rachel_w3n » Jun 1st, '06, 02:58

already hours hours i haf d/load but the it has only 0.7 % omggggggggggggggg

chaos201

Post by chaos201 » Jun 29th, '06, 20:23

Hey all, sorry if this has been asked before, but I have dial up connection and just want to know what's the best setting for Bitcomet. My current ul and dl rate is 1-2 kbs. Please help, thanks

gracepham

Bitcomet new version

Post by gracepham » Jul 5th, '06, 14:36

Hi,
I'm now downloading some files with bitcomet 0.67. I've just found out the 7.0 bitcomet has already released and I want to have my bitcomet update. But I don't know if I could tranfer all the undone files in my current bitcomet to the new one, or if I download the new version 7.0 now I have to download all the files all over again back from beginning? Looking forward to your advice. Thanks and have a nice day!

Gummi Bear

Post by Gummi Bear » Jul 12th, '06, 03:38

I used to be able to open a file directly from BitComet and watch it after finishing dl a torrent. All I have to do was click on file and right click on the file and choose open file. After my computer crashed last month I am unable to do that now. I don't know why it only works when its an .rmvb format then I can open directly otherwise I can't. Can anybody help me out??

gracepham

Is it possible to change the password of my clubbox?

Post by gracepham » Aug 12th, '06, 04:29

Could anybody here tell me how to change the password of my clubbox? I just can't download anything today. Whenever I click the quick download button, it says that I can't connect the system as it is now connected by another computer?!!! Actually I've points for quick download, and although I can't download anything at all but everytime I click the button, the pop up box show up and I could see my points was deducted from time to time! It's wierd! There must be a mistake with the system unless there is other than me using my usename!!! Please help me out with this. If I can't fix this, I'm going to end up with no more points in no time! Thanks in advance!