I'm in Korea now. now what?

Discuss about travelling to or living in another country.
dima
Fansubber
Fansubber

I'm in Korea now. now what?

Post by dima » Jul 10th, '05, 09:06

Yo all... so me the big wannabe is finally in Korea :) going to stay here for about 2 month, language studies keeping me reasonably busy...

question is - what do I do now? give me some hints what cool stuff I could do related to dramaas and whatever else!

Edit:
* someone asked - I'm studying Korean here. at Kyunghee, Seoul.
* I don't drink, so getting drunk at vendor stall like they do in dramas won't work
* don't even mention Choi Ji Woo. (I think she or her roles suck big time)
Last edited by dima on Jul 12th, '05, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.

nikeg

Post by nikeg » Jul 10th, '05, 09:13

hahah wow that so awesome... if u hav korean frends there too (like ppl from korea) go out and party like u always see in the dramas lol (drinking tents lol) and i would so like to go to some of the places where the dramas were filmed... i kno a very famous one is where the winter sonata island and lake site place... dono the name but i bet a ton of other ppl remember...

huyie
Fansub Admin
Fansub Admin

Post by huyie » Jul 10th, '05, 12:28

go sightseeing to see the locations of where some dramas took place, http://english.koreahas.com/shop/goods_ ... ama%20Tour

tofu

Post by tofu » Jul 10th, '05, 13:32

are u learning korean in korea?

Mikkyo

annyong hasaeyo!

Post by Mikkyo » Jul 10th, '05, 13:36

Dima,

What part of Korea are in? I live in Seoul. Message me if you'd like for someone to show you around the city. All I ask is you treat me out to lunch. Take care for now and enjoy your stay in the Land of the Morning Calm,

MissCli

Post by MissCli » Jul 10th, '05, 13:41

Just have FUN and enjoy ur time being there.. and go SHOP.. :D !!!

sosushi2

Korea

Post by sosushi2 » Jul 10th, '05, 14:39

Enjoy your visit there and make some great memories. One place that is in some of the dramas is Jeju Island. Looks very pretty. Here is a link of some pictures.
http://www.lifeinkorea.com/cgi-bin/pict ... ame=Cheju1

Have fun!

miriko

Post by miriko » Jul 10th, '05, 14:45

Hi!
I was in Korea this June, and I went to the Dae Jang Geum theme park, it doesnt have that many special activities, but if you are a fan of the drama, it fun to see all of the sets that were used in its production....

Also I seem to like Myong Dong (im sure i spelled that wrong) and Shinchon (i spelled this wrong too) and Nandeamon (I cant spell anything correctly), they are all very lively place to hang out...

Mikkyo

Cheju

Post by Mikkyo » Jul 10th, '05, 14:47

Ah, yes. Cheju Island really is pretty. If you decide to go, I would suggest waiting till August, or if you can, September or October. The best seasons to see Cheju-do (and Korea in general) are spring and fall seasons.

Places to check out:

Ewha/Sinchon/Hondae - Three different universities in in close proximity to each other. Makes for a great night on on the weekend. Many clubs gearned towards college kids.

Itaewon - Seoul's foriegner district. Usually full of drunken American GI's on the weekend, so watch out....

Insadong - (My favourite place in seoul) It's a tiny little street full of traditional tea houses and such. You really must see this.

Dongdaemun Stadium - Open air market where you can buy cheap/fake designer labels.

Myongdong - Seoul's fashion district for all the hip and cool k-kids with lot's of money.

Sameong - COEX Mall

Kangnam - Nightclubs and bars

(ps) have you tried any "soju" yet?
Last edited by Mikkyo on Jul 10th, '05, 14:54, edited 1 time in total.

miriko

Post by miriko » Jul 10th, '05, 14:51

Wah!!! I want to visit Korea in the fall :-( But I go back to Canada at the end of August..... Mikkyo are you Korean? How is Korea in the winter?

Mikkyo

Post by Mikkyo » Jul 10th, '05, 14:57

Miriko,

I'm not Korean. I'm Japanese/American. Currently I'm living in Korea and will be moving to Japan in 2007. Korea in the Winter is COLD but beautiful. My favourite sight are the snow covered temples.....

sweet_heart_1010

Post by sweet_heart_1010 » Jul 10th, '05, 16:00

try korean food, yummmmmmmmmmy :wub:

Lil_Bubot

Post by Lil_Bubot » Jul 11th, '05, 21:20

don't forget to do Karaoke...this is the first thing that i'll do when/if i visit S korea :lol I've notice in a lot of drama's that Korean's love karaoke... hehehehehe.. try it! :P andd yeh! drink Soju and have fun!!! :D

tonami

Visiting Korea

Post by tonami » Jul 12th, '05, 03:02

I am planning to visit Korea in October.

Mikkyo, thanks for the recommendation on places.

My other hobby is picture taking and I will focus on Palaces..

I will try Insandong as you recommended.

VietZeus

Re: I'm in Korea now. now what?

Post by VietZeus » Jul 12th, '05, 05:07

dima wrote:Yo all... so me the big wannabe is finally in Korea :) going to stay here for about 2 month, language studies keeping me reasonably busy...

question is - what do I do now? give me some hints what cool stuff I could do related to dramaas and whatever else!
Find a pretty chick. I heard it isn't hard to find a good looking korean girl in Korea. They're like air for men like me to breath.

kali4niaguy

Post by kali4niaguy » Jul 12th, '05, 05:46

what seems fun to do has already been mentioned but it's worth repeating again:

soju in a tent and try as many different types of food as possible
Cheju Island
clubbing like the people in dramas
go to karaoke place and see how many eardrums you can pop (unless you can sing, than this doesn't apply to you). :D

Mikkyo...those places you mentioned sounds really nice! now I really want to go to Korea. :cry:

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Jul 13th, '05, 23:34

Look for a Korean girl. It seem all of the fine Korean girls are over there. That's what I would do if i had the chance. Wait a minute...are you a guy or girl? it doesn't matter...girls with girls are still sexy....LoL

jojoboi

Post by jojoboi » Jul 14th, '05, 21:28

Korea is a great place to be. I was there for 4 months studying abroad and will be spending another 6 there. Try to check out the beach, the DMZ, Busan and a temple. For events go to www.tour2korea.com and check out whats going on in Korea while your there. Mikkyo! Lets meet up. A Japanese American with a Chinese American in Korea har har. :D

dima
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by dima » Jul 25th, '05, 09:57

Oh I think I've done nearly everything recommended by now... been to temples, palaces, mountains (sorta), Pusan, Poryeong, lotte world, folk village...

haven't been nor planning to go to the dmz though - not my kind of thing all the army and eastern block stuff.

haven't been though might still be going to jeju later on.

haven't been to any of the drama sites really... some are far away and it appears I've seen too few dramas!!!

haven't been doing girls as some suggested, a I don't have all that much free time, b it's not like some seem to believe that korea is full of super-beautiful girls - I'd say half is alright, half is cute and that's that.

h2lam

Post by h2lam » Jul 26th, '05, 06:54

hello everyone,
I am Vietnamese/Canadian, I am thinking of going to Korea to visit & teach english there for a short period of time, when I graduate from University which is in 2 years. How is Korea like to live, is teaching english there worthwhile, will I Make realistically enuff to go out & chill & visit all these wonderful places & party hard or will I only make enuff to cover for rent & basic food b/c the cost of living is so high? How is it like realistically, I am in the process of deciding whether to go abraod or not. Please let me know. I can go to china/japan/korea or vietnam.

pozygal87

Post by pozygal87 » Oct 13th, '05, 16:32

r u there by student exchange? i wanted to go on student exchange there but it only apply for below 18... i just turned 18 this year... :cry:

how do u apply to study there? like, thru uni courses?

suza_nna

Post by suza_nna » Oct 20th, '05, 00:49

hi.............i`m from malaysia..........and i`m so intrested to go korea......can someone tell me where is a best place in korea should i go..............i really like all about korea since i watch korea drama.........and i see so many beautiful place in korea for example seoul.......right........

skyami0830

Post by skyami0830 » Oct 25th, '05, 21:16

h2lam wrote:hello everyone,
I am Vietnamese/Canadian, I am thinking of going to Korea to visit & teach english there for a short period of time, when I graduate from University which is in 2 years. How is Korea like to live, is teaching english there worthwhile, will I Make realistically enuff to go out & chill & visit all these wonderful places & party hard or will I only make enuff to cover for rent & basic food b/c the cost of living is so high? How is it like realistically, I am in the process of deciding whether to go abraod or not. Please let me know. I can go to china/japan/korea or vietnam.
even if you're teaching english, do you know any korean? im just assuming you do...hehe but teaching english in korea is a great job cuz a lot of parents will pay a lot to get their child learn from a native speaker. i know thats a good part time job and im planning on doing that when i get back there. im not sure if it'll be enough to pay for all your rent and entertainment stuffs but prolly you'll get along.

Chidori-Chan

Post by Chidori-Chan » Oct 25th, '05, 21:29

i might go to s.korea in jan .. hope it will be fun ^^

Jin91

Post by Jin91 » Oct 25th, '05, 21:35

Oh cool~ I go there about every year since I'm korean.

Chidori-Chan

Post by Chidori-Chan » Oct 25th, '05, 21:45

it will be my very first time in s.korea ^^
i hope i will get to go to japan some day too ... ahhh

Jin91

Post by Jin91 » Oct 25th, '05, 21:54

have fun in korea~ I find that when I'm there I spend alot of money :D

skyami0830

Post by skyami0830 » Oct 25th, '05, 22:20

wow~Jin91 you're so lucky >_< i wish i could go every year. actually i haven't been in four years but finally next summer i'll be able to go..im so excited XD and yeah i plan to spend lots and lots of money~~ kyaaaa

Jin91

Post by Jin91 » Oct 25th, '05, 22:26

well, lately we've been going every other summer and I always bought stuff that I dont like now. (cuz I was young and stupid lol) I'm saving up this year so I can do lots of shopping when I go there this summer~

skyami0830

Post by skyami0830 » Oct 25th, '05, 22:31

kyaaaaa what do you shop for??? clothes??? i need more korean clothes...there aren't enough korean shops around here in VA. T_T very sad. but i also plan to buy some manhwa cuz im totally addicted.

Jin91

Post by Jin91 » Oct 25th, '05, 22:34

clothes, accesories, food (lol)... I might buy some manhwa too cause they're like... 3,800 won in korea. not fair compared to here >.< or I could rent some at a manhwa bang
You live in virginia?

skyami0830

Post by skyami0830 » Oct 26th, '05, 21:38

yup, VA. >_< i know its so not fair here isn't it????? and they never have the ones i want. so expensive :cry:
accessories!!! yeah those are the best in korea >_< i need to really get some more money....don't you love the subways and buses in korea? i hate it here that i cant go anywhere cept with a car. in korea i was able to go everywhere with some money. >.>

Jin91

Post by Jin91 » Oct 26th, '05, 21:46

I live in maryland :-)
yeah subways its so cheap and like.. even grade schoolers ride it on a regualar day basis without parents. unlike here. and everthing is so close. and taxi's are every where in korea. lol. um.. busses are fun too but you have to like run off. they open the doors for each stop for like.. 10 seconds or less (i remember it being really short) so if its crowded you gotta shove your way out. lol. but I guess its because the stops are very close

Since my bday has past I'm waiting for xmas and new years to get more money (money i dont have to work for)

tob1

Post by tob1 » Aug 17th, '06, 06:48

Go everywhere..
Cheju Island is nice
:thumleft:

Gi-Ma-Mi
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Gi-Ma-Mi » Aug 17th, '06, 06:57

just curious what happened to Choi Ji Woo back then?

anthonyt

Post by anthonyt » Aug 17th, '06, 10:15

owh well is it possible for you to get me a korean phone there?

loves_chaeyeon

Post by loves_chaeyeon » Aug 19th, '06, 03:53

how much is 9,900 won in USA dollars? sorry to ask but i need to know

ray of light

Post by ray of light » Aug 27th, '06, 03:15

i think about 10$ ..its like 1$=959won ..i think

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Aug 28th, '06, 00:14

I am a German girl in Korea right now. :lol

I love it! Having lots of fun with food, partying, shopping and meeting tons of pretty Korean boys. Korea is like the land of fashionable, handsome guys. :lol :wub: Also the land of cool cell phones, and yes you can get a Korean phone easily here. Either buy a prepaid one or rent one right at the airport for 2,000 - 3,000 Won a day. (2,000 if you reserve your phone online before coming to Korea.)
I remember Daniel Henney rented a cell right after coming to Korea in the drama "Kim Sam Soon". :)

Nobody has mentioned Yongsan Electronics Market yet - it is like the Akihabara of Seoul! A district crowded with tiny electronic stores that sell everything from cell phones to drama DVDs to coffee machines - it is the Dongdaemun market for guys. :)

Anybody need a recommendation for a cheap place to stay? Check out Inn Dae Won. It is a great, cozy little place close to Gwangwhamun Station (North of the city center), just a short walk from the American (and most of all other) embassies. It is run by a cute Korean couple, is foreigners-only (tons of Japanese there!) and the best thing, costs only 20,000 Won a day for a little room with a fan, a TV and a Korean tatami mat. :) I can really recommend this place, as I met many really cool people there.

As someone else has mentioned before me, Hongdae is definitely THE place to check out on weekends. Nightclubs crammed full with super-pretty girls and boys (if you dont see many pretty Korean girls during the day, go to Hondae at night - that is where they are :lol And the boys are even more handsome than on the street!)

If you have too much money, try Apgujeong, the Beverly Hills of Korea. It is where celebrities go shopping. :)

I actually saw an actress a few days ago in Dongdaemun, but I dont know who she was. (my Korean friend pointed out that she was an actress.)

:-)

tresarai

Post by tresarai » Aug 28th, '06, 20:57

Lil_Bubot wrote:don't forget to do Karaoke...this is the first thing that i'll do when/if i visit S korea :lol I've notice in a lot of drama's that Korean's love karaoke... hehehehehe.. try it! :P andd yeh! drink Soju and have fun!!! :D
your avatar. which drama is that from? is it a taiwanese drama?

moonsite

Post by moonsite » Sep 10th, '06, 03:13

dang, I've been here for a bit over two months but haven't done much yet. I've been to the Korean Folk Village and did a little hiking up in Buraksan. That was it. I need to go out more.
it's the j-drama that keeps me in door (if any is to blame).

KoreanDonutMan

Thinking of moving to Korea. So what's the next step?

Post by KoreanDonutMan » Nov 6th, '06, 05:39

Hi,
I want to move to Korea. I'm 23, and a recent Business Administration/Marketing Grad. Where should I start my search for jobs in Korea? What types of jobs should I be looking for? Who should I talk to? I heard donut shops are good business over there; how much money would I need to open a decent donut shop in Korea?

Any help/suggestions would be deeply, deeply appreciated.

DonutMan

aotis1

Post by aotis1 » Nov 6th, '06, 13:53

Hi There, I also have a friend who's interested in moving to Korea. I read in the relationship forum that appareantly, girls in Japan are only looking for white guys. I am not sure how it is in Korea but maybe it's similar? If anyone can comment on this, I am greatly apreciated.

oh yeah, my friend and I are thinking about moving to korea and opening a small business too ^^

BUMP!

heun

Post by heun » Dec 7th, '06, 02:48

it depends what part of south korea your moving to, and in south seoul it will cost a lot more :) than north seoul