Only if you have time (2)
3%
STAY AWAY (1)
2%

Total votes: 645

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » Aug 15th, '05, 19:39

softgun84 wrote:does anyone have subtitle 1-5? i found some at wachi but the link just wont work. Thanks
Look under the "Subtitle" thread and the subs should be there for you to download.

20centuryboy

Re: [Discussion] Densha Otoko

Post by 20centuryboy » Aug 16th, '05, 09:02

hahaha! He really deserves what's happening to him! :mrgreen:

Caspian

Post by Caspian » Aug 16th, '05, 10:19

Stupid Yamada!!!!!!!!!

Why would he pick anime convention over super hot Saori =__= So dumb, and then for her to find her. Serves him right for trying to get away with lieing. I thought he would've learned his lesson from the whole surfing thing and all. And that basketball player clearly saying he lied, etc. But nooooooo he just doesn't learn, does he ><.

And then in "Next Episode" part. I see he is hurt or something in the rain :( I hope he's ok.

cytodex

Post by cytodex » Aug 16th, '05, 13:25

Caspian wrote:Stupid Yamada!!!!!!!!!

Why would he pick anime convention over super hot Saori =__= So dumb, and then for her to find her. Serves him right for trying to get away with lieing. I thought he would've learned his lesson from the whole surfing thing and all. And that basketball player clearly saying he lied, etc. But nooooooo he just doesn't learn, does he ><.

And then in "Next Episode" part. I see he is hurt or something in the rain :( I hope he's ok.
Well, I guess that's what drama is made of. If Yamada is getting "lucky" all the times, it will become less realistic. In hindsights, Yamada is doomed to reveal his dark secret anyway. That itself is a good material for drama plot and climax. As I said previously, it is an uphill battle for Yamada. You and I will consciously or subconsciously cheer for him. I would rather cheer him up at this stage than seeing him turn himself to a normal dude without any "dramatic" events...

Even the smartest persons can make mistakes in their love lives, not alone for Yamada-san.

KameSan

Post by KameSan » Aug 16th, '05, 14:25

cytodex wrote:Well, I guess that's what drama is made of. If Yamada is getting "lucky" all the times, it will become less realistic. In hindsights, Yamada is doomed to reveal his dark secret anyway. That itself is a good material for drama plot and climax. As I said previously, it is an uphill battle for Yamada. You and I will consciously or subconsciously cheer for him. I would rather cheer him up at this stage than seeing him turn himself to a normal dude without any "dramatic" events...
Yeah, the whole "getting lucky" thing both gives and takes away from this drama. I suppose that's the case for all dramas. Wile on one hand it creates all these complex situations that have you cheering for the main character, but on the other they make it seem really corny. I suppose it would be boring without such things...

Seravi

Post by Seravi » Aug 16th, '05, 16:01

You guys are kidding right? Miss the last Comiket? =)
Funny, my friends told me in the exact situation I would try and do both. LOL.

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Aug 16th, '05, 19:44

I still don't see how Hermes see Densha as more than a friend. There just isn't any chemistry. Even Hermes's friend explain it to her...how a person touch each other and if that person jolt Hermes seem to be very calm with Densha. Usually, a person is a little nervous at the beginning of a relationship but Hermes seem to be so calm. Yes, she did get jealous but maybe she's afraid of losing him to people since she has no man around. The series would convince me more if Hermes went out with a couple of guys and then realize that she's in love with Densha. However, as of now...she's only with him and her brother. Still not convincing enough but it's still too early. Maybe her ex will come back later and try to win her heart.

rainidy
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rainidy » Aug 16th, '05, 22:10

I was watching tv last weekend and found out that it's showing the first episode of Densha Otoko in the Bay Area. Can't believe they're showing new jdramas on tv now.

Caspian

Post by Caspian » Aug 16th, '05, 22:41

crazylife123 wrote:I still don't see how Hermes see Densha as more than a friend. There just isn't any chemistry. Even Hermes's friend explain it to her...how a person touch each other and if that person jolt Hermes seem to be very calm with Densha. Usually, a person is a little nervous at the beginning of a relationship but Hermes seem to be so calm. Yes, she did get jealous but maybe she's afraid of losing him to people since she has no man around. The series would convince me more if Hermes went out with a couple of guys and then realize that she's in love with Densha. However, as of now...she's only with him and her brother. Still not convincing enough but it's still too early. Maybe her ex will come back later and try to win her heart.
But she sorta did go out with other guys. With the arranged marriage stuff and all.

I know alot of the things are essential to the story but it's still sad to see :( I feel like Yamada ^^;

Molokidan

Post by Molokidan » Aug 16th, '05, 23:06

They really made this drama tough to watch, (which is good,) because it's so realistic.

Take Saori's other love interest for example -- the guy that her brother Keisuke works for. I forget his name, but anyway...he's a good guy, there's nothing wrong with him at all. Hell, he even checks the 2ch forum like any other person. And it's not like he wants to kill Yamada or anything. Which is why you can't just say "Oh, she has that evil guy chasing her, Yamada will save her" or something, because that guy is just another nice girl who likes Saori. Since everything isn't cookie-cutter, it makes it seem very real-to-life.

And then, with Yamada's mistakes...I really like where this series is going. It isn't pulling any of the punches here, and unless Yamada turns into a real man soon, he's going to lose what little he had with Saori forever. It's great stuff. Whatever the ending is, (what I mean is, even if Yamada doesn't get with Saori,) I still think it will end up being a great drama simply because of the great contrast of realism mixed with over-the-top humor that it has going for it. Great stuff.

Also, I have a theory, so everyone tell me what you think on this: Did you notice how the episodes have been getting progressively more serious? With a few exceptions here and there...episode 1 and 2 were just crazy, with the water in the sewer, the SAT team with the convenience store, etc. Do you think that may represent Yamada coming out of his fantasy "otaku" world and facing reality as it really is? His life is becoming less and less 'head-in-the-clouds' and he is learning to face everyday problems like a real person. What do you think...?

Caspian

Post by Caspian » Aug 16th, '05, 23:59

otaprince wrote:Here's my opinion on the stalker:

They have to give Hermes some actual reasons to fall for Train Man. So far, there is very little reason, in my opinion, why she would like him romantically.

Apart from saving her on the subway, why on earth should she fall in love with him? Does he make her laugh, make her happy, show her a good time? Not really. He just does a lot of crying, apologizing, and genuflecting.

Good show, though.
Dude. He's nice, and generous and not ****. He puts forth alot of effort and geniunity to her. He's funny and overall just a nice guy to her.

Anyway I don't think he posts his life on the net. It's just like if he was normal and not an Otaku, then he would be asking his friends for advice. We all do it, just different ways.
KameSan wrote:Bwaaaah!! Episode 6 was so good! It made up for episode 5, and then some!!

Anyway, I have spoilers to talk about, so I'll write in white (highlight to read if you have seen episode 6):
I laughed so hard when all the forum guys were in the same place. I was a little annoyed at the lameness at first, but i just started laughing when they all started saying hints to eachother, unsure whether it was the others or not. I wonder if any of them worked it out?
For the final scene I could barely look at my screen, as she was looking at Yamada, it was an agonising few seconds. Then the note that it ended on just had me pulling my hair out!!
HAHAHAH YES I KNOW!

Spolier If not seen Epi 6:

When they were all drinking tea, "Densha" Everyone jumps ahahahahah!! I laughed so hard!! xD!~!1!1. I felt really bad for him, I thought that Saori's brother was going to open up the letter and then give it to Saori and she would find out that he lied to her, and she would just not respond to his E-mails or phone calls or something. BUT THEN SHE ACTUALLY CAME?!!? Ah, Silly Yamada. Why would you set up shop out in the public, probablity of her seeing you or one ofher friends that he's met is too high to take risks like that. I guess he should've logged on and asked forums first LOL XD'!!@

But ya, I agree. When they were just standing there, it was unbearable :( I could barely watch I was cringing and biting my lip the entire time.

I haven't had so much emotion, physicall for a TV show since... I DUNNOW WHEN! It's so good.

What is 2ch and Comiket though? And why do they sometimes say "Yamada-san" instead of just Yamada?
Molokidan wrote:This episode was definitely my favorite one so far, but it was also the most painful to watch...because it all is so real to me! In the past episodes, all the super-embarassing parts just made me cringe in agony because I could feel Yamada's pain! This episode was definitely a turning point though...if I was Yamada in the final scene, I simply would have committed seppuku right there. But from the preview, it looks like he shall press on. And that's why I think it's a very good thing that what happened, happened!

Spoilers below, but:
Like Kyusaku said, Yamada hadn't really changed at all. And now that he has damaged his relationship, he's really going to have to go all-out if he wants her back. And in that case...if he can make that final struggle...I think that he may finally prove himself worthy to have her within his grasp. It almost makes it seem like these episodes so far were simply the preliminaries. From here on out, he's really going to have to fight!!

Also: the scene in the coffee shop was just great. It looks like they're going to start meeting each other!! Did you notice that the Army Otaku was a guard at the Comiket? And the scene with Saori's dog biting Yamada's hand was great. Shows that the strange sense of humor of this show isn't gone after all!! I think the only possible downside that I could find in this episode is that we hardly saw Saori's two OL friends. But Jinnkama was back, with a vengenance! It was great.

ahahaha yes I saw that!!! I laughed so hard at both instances. I did feel so bad for him this time :( You learn from your mistakes I guess though *Sigh* Poor Yamada :(
KameSan wrote:
cytodex wrote:How about her family? A lot of troubles ahead for Yamada.
I get the idea that Aoyama's brother is going to help out Yamada... so he should go okay with his backing...
:O
I never thought of that. That would evolve a conflict between his boss and him though then wouldn't it? Since he is like in love with "Hermes"

Molokidan

Post by Molokidan » Aug 17th, '05, 00:26

Caspian wrote: What is 2ch and Comiket though? And why do they sometimes say Yamada instead of Yamada-san?
2ch is the abbreviation for 2chan, the forum where all the posting in Densha Otoko happens. It's basically an enormous forum site in Japan where a gargantuan amount of topics are debated in over 100 different forums. The forum that they post in is the "Singles Forum," maybe?

Comiket is just the name of the comic con/anime convention.

-san is an honorific, it basically just means "Mr." and is used in formal situations or when someone's trying to be very polite and nice.

xiaryx
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by xiaryx » Aug 17th, '05, 00:38

haha eps 6 is my fav also... the

spoiler:
-------

tea shop

scene was ultra hilarious....laughed my freaking ass off.

taro

Post by taro » Aug 17th, '05, 02:45

Actually to give it a little more perspective, Comiket is THE comic convention in Japan. I think it's held twice a year. Pretty much for doujinshi (self published/underground comics). It's a monster event. The TV show totally did not show the craziness that is Comiket, but I'm sure they could not hire enough extras. They should have tried getting some actual footage. That walkway would have been packed wall to wall with fans. Camping out has recently been outlawed, thus the dialoge about them not supposed to be there early. The train station is jammed with fans. I don't recall attendance numbers, but it's high, like major sporting event high, like hundred thousands.

Molokidan wrote:
Caspian wrote: What is 2ch and Comiket though? And why do they sometimes say Yamada instead of Yamada-san?

Comiket is just the name of the comic con/anime convention.

Lowest

Post by Lowest » Aug 17th, '05, 02:54

holy cows! episode 6 was so awesome :D it made me laugh so much the ['Densha' *shock* 'Comiket' *shock* at the tea shop was sooo awesome :P and the part with the obviously fake dog on his hand lol] I love this show so much Yamada rules :D but it's already halfway though :( I'm gonna miss it when it ends (I'm starting to act like the forum people were in #6 now :P) :lol

BaKaOtoKo

Post by BaKaOtoKo » Aug 17th, '05, 09:05

When is episode 7!!!!!!!!!

can't wait for it~
since it comes out every thursday night so will it be friday???
the raw one......when does it come out ere in d-addict?

jinroh

Post by jinroh » Aug 17th, '05, 15:39

Just curious... Does anyone has the direct link to the original Densha Otoko thread in the 2Ch forum ? ... Cant read jap but just felt like having a peek at it ... Oh btw, I dont supposed there is a english translation of the book do they? :-)

drewnamis

Post by drewnamis » Aug 17th, '05, 17:13

Molokidan wrote:
Take Saori's other love interest for example -- the guy that her brother Keisuke works for.
He's not Saori's "other love interest". He's an older brother figure for both Keisuke and her. My guess is that he's gonna go save Yamada in the next episode as he rushed out in his Lancer Evo when he realized the deep shiznit Yamada got himself into.

drewnamis

Post by drewnamis » Aug 17th, '05, 17:18

KameSan wrote:
cytodex wrote:How about her family? A lot of troubles ahead for Yamada.
I get the idea that Aoyama's brother is going to help out Yamada... so he should go okay with his backing...
:O
I never thought of that. That would evolve a conflict between his boss and him though then wouldn't it? Since he is like in love with "Hermes"[/quote]

He's in love with Hermes' personality, not her in person. In episode 6 it's obvious that he realizes that Yamada = Denshaotoko and Hermes = Aoyama.

drewnamis

Post by drewnamis » Aug 17th, '05, 17:19

[quote="jinroh"]Just curious... Does anyone has the direct link to the original Densha Otoko thread in the 2Ch forum ? ... Cant read jap but just felt like having a peek at it ... Oh btw, I dont supposed there is a english translation of the book do they? :-)[/quote

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Milkyway-Aqu ... inman.html

BTW, am I the only one who gets annoyed when people abbreviate Japan as Jap?

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » Aug 17th, '05, 17:41

drewnamis wrote:BTW, am I the only one who gets annoyed when people abbreviate Japan as Jap?
You're not the only one whose offended by the abbreviation, me and many others feel the same way as you do. The problem is, some people don't know that it's an offensive word.

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » Aug 17th, '05, 17:43

BaKaOtoKo wrote:When is episode 7!!!!!!!!!

can't wait for it~
since it comes out every thursday night so will it be friday???
the raw one......when does it come out ere in d-addict?
Why don't you wait like everyone else?! It'll come out when it feels like it. :P

Romance

Post by Romance » Aug 17th, '05, 18:29

ep 6, so damn best, i love this show! the tea shop scene hhhahahhaha

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Aug 17th, '05, 19:04

:O :blink sorry for the wrong spelling....didn't realize it till I read my post....somehow this computer wouldn't let me delete it to redo it....my apology.... :-)

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Aug 17th, '05, 19:11

haven't watch eps. 6th yet....I'll look it up after my post....this dorama is so hilarious....I've recommend it to some of my caucasian coworkers to watch it....I introduced them to Asian dramas and they loved it.....they're now hooked on it too....they said they never seen any Asian dramas before, so now they're glad I introduced it to them....

and drewnamis, I get offended too when I hear that word.....I've even been called that too....if it wasn't at work, I would have TKO them....but I said something back to them in a subtle way that made them feel bad... at the end they apologized....like yt_toshi said, "some poeple don't know it's an offensive word"....some don't brought up in a refine way, so they have some rough edges....got to forgive them....it's not their fault.... just like some will wear suit....no matter how expensive the suit is or look, yet it don't look good on the person....there is just that rough edges that gives off....it actually looks like a cheap person in a fine suit....looks terrible....

sorry I'm going on and on, but I think I venting a little....I'm in the wrong section on this forum....sorry all....I'll go to the right section....

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Aug 17th, '05, 19:28

If I call a Japanese guy...(J-Kid)...would that be offensive too?

wachi

Post by wachi » Aug 17th, '05, 19:32

Some people are just too lazy to type out the whole word. I mean it doesn't take that long, it's only five letters.
Like everyone else, the teashop scene was hilarious.

I just re-watched some Japanese movies, I realize the man with the huge unibrow was in a lot of old cult movies. I think his brows are his trademark or something, he didn't just grow them for the drama. :lol

Wow, this thread grew extra fast.

Bahamut619
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Bahamut619 » Aug 17th, '05, 19:38

What's with those 2 kids who always wait Densha for gaming advice?
Why is one of the kid always naming all the bus stations? Is he training to become a driver? : :lol

Kyusaku

Post by Kyusaku » Aug 17th, '05, 19:42

Molokidan wrote: 2ch is the abbreviation for 2chan, the forum where all the posting in Densha Otoko happens.
Actually 2ch is 2chaneru. http://www.2ch.net
2chan is called Futaba chaneru.
2chan is a somewhat popular Japanese image board.
http://www.2chan.net/

I didn't want people to confuse these sites.
Bahamut619 wrote:Why is one of the kid always naming all the bus stations? Is he training to become a driver? : :lol
I think he wants to be a train conductor.

drewnamis

Post by drewnamis » Aug 17th, '05, 20:05

i think those kids are there to add to Yamada's otakuness. They refer to him as Chorou ???a title meaning elder. He's not just anime otaku, but also like a video game otaku. Those are train stations, and to be more specific I believe they're for the JR Sobu Kaisoku (express) trains, at least the ones in Ep. 2. I didn't realize it til I went to Japan and stayed at my friend's house, which is by Ichikawa station.

BTW, as for j-kid i don't think is offensive, Jap and Nip are.

KameSan

Post by KameSan » Aug 17th, '05, 23:56

drewnamis wrote:BTW, as for j-kid i don't think is offensive, Jap and Nip are.
What is it with people's offense to saying "Jap"??
It's just a short way of saying Japan/Japanese. I use it quite a bit, just like i say "aus" instead of australia. It's no different. When I say "aus", there aren't all these people telling me i'm being offensive... so why is "jap" any different?

drewnamis

Post by drewnamis » Aug 18th, '05, 00:08

No. It's not just a short way of saying Japan/Japanese. I know that Aussies regualrly use it without any deragatory context, but in the States, it has a lot of historical baggage, and is considered deragatory. The beauties of globalization, or globalisation, depending on where you're at. But this is going WAAAAY off topic. Let's talk about Densha Otoko, and how hot Itou Misaki is. I'm sure that's one thing we can all agree on. I don't think I've been so infatuated with a drama/actress since Depaato Natu Monogatari starring Nishida Hikaru, hrmz this was like back in 89 or something! *gasp*

Romance

Post by Romance » Aug 18th, '05, 00:14

KameSan wrote:
drewnamis wrote:BTW, as for j-kid i don't think is offensive, Jap and Nip are.
What is it with people's offense to saying "Jap"??
It's just a short way of saying Japan/Japanese. I use it quite a bit, just like i say "aus" instead of australia. It's no different. When I say "aus", there aren't all these people telling me i'm being offensive... so why is "jap" any different?
It is just offensive, some japanese people find it as insluting as some black find "n****r" insulting.

TIticamara

Post by TIticamara » Aug 18th, '05, 00:38

I wondered will hermes's brother's boss would tell saori about the website and all. It would be funny if she found out that website.

Lowest

Post by Lowest » Aug 18th, '05, 00:54

I think the word 'Jap' is more offensive in America (to Japanese-Americans) then anywhere else, I think it goes back to WWII, that's what the Japanese people were called (and so Japanese-Americans etc) if you read a newspaper in 1945 you'll see the word 'Jap' used 99% of the time. If you use a word as a negative enough then it'll become a bad word (just like pakistani).
TIticamara wrote:I wondered will hermes's brother's boss would tell saori about the website and all. It would be funny if she found out that website.
I don't think he will just yet.. maybe a bit later on.. though we are on #7 now :unsure:

BuriGuri

Post by BuriGuri » Aug 18th, '05, 00:56

Hi... I just have a quick little question (sorry for going a lil off-topic :-( )

You know at the end of the episodes, when it cuts from the story into the ending credits? Is the cut supposed to be so abrupt? In Densha Otoko, it seems to be especially quick, even for a cliff-hanger type...

I guess the heart of my question is: running on the air, is there some sort of commercial break between the last scene and the end credits? I've never had the chance to watch japanese television (live), so I'm a little curious.
Thanks in advance...

Feather

Post by Feather » Aug 18th, '05, 01:51

:O Whoa, I can't believe someone really had a link for that ORIGINAL densha otoko discussion. :w00t: Why I'm the only guy impressed here!? I think this is something revolutionary. Something, that media world hasn't ever seen. It's like, everything is blending in to reality and the show gets an "extra breeze" of feeling into it. I'm mediocre at japanese language but I can pick something up. And it's great to see all those links about restaurants and fashion clothes, which those otakus have posted :D Wow.. I mean.. is it really _THE_ real, one and only Densha Otoko discussion?

Well, anyways. I gotta say that ep06 is definitely the best episode so far. I'm not gonna spoil anything, so I'll just say I laughed like hell on that scene many of you seemingly found hilarious as well. There were other great scenes too, but I'm not gonna list them all here. Plus, I think the plot is getting into some really exciting directions now, so.. we'll be patient and see.

Lowest

Post by Lowest » Aug 18th, '05, 02:01

Feather wrote: Why I'm the only guy impressed here!?
lol because I think the rest of us saw it a while back and yeah I think thats the real one.. :P

KameSan

Post by KameSan » Aug 18th, '05, 02:02

Feather wrote::O Whoa, I can't believe someone really had a link for that ORIGINAL densha otoko discussion. :w00t: Why I'm the only guy impressed here!? I think this is something revolutionary. Something, that media world hasn't ever seen. It's like, everything is blending in to reality and the show gets an "extra breeze" of feeling into it. I'm mediocre at japanese language but I can pick something up. And it's great to see all those links about restaurants and fashion clothes, which those otakus have posted :D Wow.. I mean.. is it really _THE_ real, one and only Densha Otoko discussion?
YEah, I was thinking it should be translated into English, that would be really interesting...

Lowest

Post by Lowest » Aug 18th, '05, 02:08

Isn't the book basically just what that website is?
I'd really like to read the book, I hope that gets translated :)

⊂⌒~⊃。Д。)⊃

Kyusaku

Post by Kyusaku » Aug 18th, '05, 02:12

The media has seen the original thread, infact the novelization is the transcription of the original discussion. That is what the whole thing is based on, everyone has seen it.

Feather

Post by Feather » Aug 18th, '05, 02:28

The media has seen the original thread, infact the novelization is the transcription of the original discussion. That is what the whole thing is based on, everyone has seen it.
Yup, but I meant this whole Densha Otoko thing. It's something really fresh and new as a concept. I knew it's based on something :) but there's still doubts is this drama really based on true story. I wonder why, if that's the real one. That's why I was so surprised that someone got a direct link there. I thought it's more like a rumour or something.

KameSan

Post by KameSan » Aug 18th, '05, 02:52

No, it's is the actual website. If you have a look, there are some exact quotes which are the same as in the drama. Also there is the ASCII pictures, which are nowhere near as cool as they make the drama.

Kyusaku

Post by Kyusaku » Aug 18th, '05, 02:59

Feather wrote:Yup, but I meant this whole Densha Otoko thing. It's something really fresh and new as a concept. I knew it's based on something :) but there's still doubts is this drama really based on true story. I wonder why, if that's the real one. That's why I was so surprised that someone got a direct link there. I thought it's more like a rumour or something.
Well it's obviously based on it, but some of the story is exaggerated for story time. Most of the stuff that goes on with the board is based on the original postings however, some of the things away from the keyboard are made up as the story is purely based on the postings alone, no one is really sure about what happens outside of the postings.

greyhorse
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by greyhorse » Aug 18th, '05, 03:02

Bahamut619 wrote:Why is one of the kid always naming all the bus stations? Is he training to become a driver? : :lol
drewnamis' reply is dead on here. I actually took the Sobu-sen Kaisoku/Yokosuka-sen from Funabashi to Kinnshicho at least once a month to go to Akihabara, so those names are pretty familiar to me. To add on to what he said though, there's this PS2 game in Japan called Densha de Go! (電車で Go!), where people can experience what it's like to drive their favorite trains around the many winding tracks laid all across Japan. I suppose it's fairly involved when you get into it, but it's amazing they actually came out with a game for it. I think that kid was just reciting from the game.

Why it's the Yokosuka-sen, and in particular the section east of Tokyo, is something that's bothered me from the first ep. I initially thought Yamada lived east of Akihabara, but this made no sense because he was heading home the same way as Hermes. Hermes would of course never live in a second-rate city like Chiba the way greyhorse would, hence my confusion. We find out in ep.06, however, that Hermes lives close to Kichijoji Stn., and Yamada lives close to Musashi-Sakai Stn. So the mystery still remains, what's with the kid's choice of trains? Honestly, that stretch of track is some of the most boring you can ride on.

greyhorse
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by greyhorse » Aug 18th, '05, 03:46

Because this drama has so many references to trains in it, I suppose it wouldn't be wandering too far off topic if I linked JR's greater Tokyo train map here. I think it might help people understand why trains are such a big deal in Japan.
http://www.jreast.co.jp/map/pdf/map_tokyo.pdf

This map only shows the trains run by JR or Japan Rail, so it only shows half of what's available when in Tokyo. Especially in the city itself, there's an extensive subway system that literally riddles the area in the middle of the map. In the outlying areas, there are smaller companies running lines connecting JR owned hubs, as well as ones branching off on their own. I forget the exact numbers, but there's a staggering number of train companies in Japan.

In the center of the map you can see a circular theta shaped collection of train lines, with the central squiggle piercing Shinjuku on the West and good 'ol Akihabara on the East. Ok, so it peirces Tokyo Station as well, but no one's interested in that unless you want to ride the Bullet Train, and no one's interested in that right? Good, so moving on, if you trace the yellow Chuo line to the West from Shinjuku, you end up in Mitaka, which is one station away from Musashi Sakai where Yamada lives. If you get off one station earlier, you end up at Kichijoji where Hermes lives. To get to Yamada's place you'd have to transfer to the Orange Chuo rapid line at one point.

Hope this wasn't a total waste of space...

cgozun

Post by cgozun » Aug 18th, '05, 04:08

crazylife123 wrote:I still don't see how Hermes see Densha as more than a friend. There just isn't any chemistry. Even Hermes's friend explain it to her...how a person touch each other and if that person jolt Hermes seem to be very calm with Densha. Usually, a person is a little nervous at the beginning of a relationship but Hermes seem to be so calm. Yes, she did get jealous but maybe she's afraid of losing him to people since she has no man around. The series would convince me more if Hermes went out with a couple of guys and then realize that she's in love with Densha. However, as of now...she's only with him and her brother. Still not convincing enough but it's still too early. Maybe her ex will come back later and try to win her heart.
Has it been six episodes already...? I'd like to share my impression of the drama so far if you guys don't mind. As funny as Densha and Hermes' situation is and how it creates for a cute drama, I find it hard to believe such relationship could exist. Perhaps the two extreme worlds ever uniting is beyond my artistic imagination. Although, I am anxious to see the effects of her old flame on their relationships if he ever come back to her. But up to this point, I find the aspect of the internet forum and how each person is interconnected with each other far more interesting, not to mention the inner conflict Yamada has to face as he struggles to grow out of his otaku shell.

I do hope the ex comes back, otherwise I can't help but diagnose her with some type of mental illness.

fuddleduddle

Post by fuddleduddle » Aug 18th, '05, 05:03

it's extremely rare, but im sure that such a relationship could exist or has existed, not in the exact same situation but similar. there's close to 6.5 billion people on earth, anything could happen :).

cgozun

Post by cgozun » Aug 18th, '05, 05:09

True. So I'll be a weatherman and say 99.9% unlikely. She's so hot and he's so... umm... maybe this one is an overly exaggerated circumstance.

BaKaOtoKo

Post by BaKaOtoKo » Aug 18th, '05, 05:44

cgozun wrote:True. So I'll be a weatherman and say 99.9% unlikely. She's so hot and he's so... umm... maybe this one is an overly exaggerated circumstance.
Yea.....its exaggerating but the thing is....its a movie....the more exaggerating it stand out more on the importance of the character.....she's of course hot......its 伊藤みさき....who wouldn't say she is not hot....lol

anyway...........exaggerating is wut the japanese like......there is a lot of drama that shows not so nice looking guys that gets the nice looking girls.....lol....i guess this is a way to give hope to the "people" that is like Mr. Densha....

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Aug 18th, '05, 05:54

Yup...sex sales...and they use Hermes' looks.

Bahamut619
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Bahamut619 » Aug 18th, '05, 12:57

greyhorse wrote:
Why it's the Yokosuka-sen, and in particular the section east of Tokyo, is something that's bothered me from the first ep. I initially thought Yamada lived east of Akihabara, but this made no sense because he was heading home the same way as Hermes...
Wow, I didn't expect someone to go through such an extensive research :blink I guess we will find out why the choice later in the series :D
greyhorse wrote:Hermes would of course never live in a second-rate city like Chiba the way greyhorse would, hence my confusion.
:doh: :lol

crazylife123 wrote:Yup...sex sales...and they use Hermes' looks.
I never found Itou Misaki to be sexy... Though she is very beautiful in an elegant way.

What really struck me about this series was that it really advertise various brands...
au by KDDI (Major sponsor, Yamada even screams "AU~"), Hermes, Benoist, Gundam.

Xander_Kross

Post by Xander_Kross » Aug 18th, '05, 14:18

Latest Episode just ended.

OMG Jinkama-san looked hot. Even hotter than Hermes, which shocked me.

And the previews make next week's episode look fraking hilarious.

drewnamis

Post by drewnamis » Aug 18th, '05, 16:06

Bahamut619 wrote: What really struck me about this series was that it really advertise various brands...
au by KDDI (Major sponsor, Yamada even screams "AU~"), Hermes, Benoist, Gundam.
Well, as far as Benoist, Hermes, and Gundam, it's not product placement. Those are actually found in the log on 2ch. But boy, so many sponsors if you watch the credits.

TIticamara

Post by TIticamara » Aug 18th, '05, 16:29

Densha's epi 7 was aired an hour ago in Japan? Anyone watched it? How was it? What happened?
Last edited by TIticamara on Aug 18th, '05, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.

Xander_Kross

Post by Xander_Kross » Aug 18th, '05, 16:44

I watched it. It was good. check like 3 messages down for my post.

i try to keep them simple so as not to ruin anything for anyone.

but here is one thing that stood out.....Jinkama-san + red = HOT!!

TIticamara

Post by TIticamara » Aug 18th, '05, 16:55

I want to know eveything. I don't mind being spoiled. Hermes <3

TenshiHikaru

Post by TenshiHikaru » Aug 18th, '05, 16:56

WOAH. Densha lives near Musashi-Sakai Station?!

I lived about 6 bus stops away from that station during the summer! I think his address is on the north exit side, and I lived on the side of the south exit.

That's so surreal. That explains why there's a lot of places in the series that are very recongizable to me. Like in the first episode, in one scene he's standing next to Tohachi Doro ,which was the closest major street near my house. The spot he was at was literally 10 minutes away by foot.

JapanSuki

Post by JapanSuki » Aug 18th, '05, 20:13

[ドラマ] 電車男 第07話 「脱オタク !! 涙の誕生日」.avi
wheee... it's out..
--
crap, it wasnt WS and crap raw... redling the proper divx WS version now... ^_^

wachi

Post by wachi » Aug 18th, '05, 21:19

^ Where did you find that?

I didn't even realize that the guy with the bad perm, who never said much during the whole drama is Oguri Shun. He changes so much. >__<;

axs

Post by axs » Aug 18th, '05, 22:34

wachi wrote:^ Where did you find that?
winny.

[ドラマ] 電車男 第07話 「脱オタク!!涙の誕生日」 (704x396 DivX511).avi XooPZMvFic
411,261,040 642ca932fcd039dc14ed6ccc45b68d91

JapanSuki

Post by JapanSuki » Aug 18th, '05, 22:40

I'm using Share ( Winny sucks balls :P ) and dling a 527mb version. ^_^
【TVドラマ】電車男 第07話 「脱オタク!!涙の誕生日」 (704x396 DivX5.1.1).avi naoXRII1l60s7 527,442,964 5147956102d15b54b75cd4d7b1ba5856d5a2170f

urchin

Post by urchin » Aug 19th, '05, 00:19

In episode 3, when Karin and Hermes says "gross, annoying, repulsive, impossible and totaly wrong", can someone write down the romanji version of this. I like to use this at work, hehe. I tried to look these words up in the Japanese-English dictionary but it seems they all had different words.

luvanime

hilarious series

Post by luvanime » Aug 19th, '05, 00:59

Can anyone please recommend me a good Japanese drama like "Densha Otoko?" One that is hilarious, with good looking actors/actresses, and draws you in until the end. Thanks!

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Re: hilarious series

Post by yt_toshi » Aug 19th, '05, 01:05

luvanime wrote:Can anyone please recommend me a good Japanese drama like "Densha Otoko?" One that is hilarious, with good looking actors/actresses, and draws you in until the end. Thanks!
Here's are some suggestions --> RECOMMENDED/FAVORITE JAPANESE DRAMAS

greyhorse
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by greyhorse » Aug 19th, '05, 01:07

repulsive => itai
gross => kimoi
annoying => uzai
totally impossible => tsuuka, muri

Itai isn't quite repulsive, but I couldn't think of anything else. It literally means "it hurts". In this case it hurts to watch the subject do anything he's so inept and lacks style. The terms are all common on the street, and unless that dictionary has a slang section, they won't appear there.

TIticamara

Post by TIticamara » Aug 19th, '05, 01:15

Eh, I thought uzai is shut up. Maybe I am wrong.

greyhorse
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by greyhorse » Aug 19th, '05, 01:22

TIticamara wrote:Eh, I thought uzai is shut up. Maybe I am wrong.
No no, it can also be used that way. Uzai is basically a broken down version of urusai, which means loud. So "you're uzai, now shut up" is a common way it's used. It can also denote a whiny person, or someone who likes to talk about himself, or probably in this case, someone who just keeps going on about his hobbies.

Feather

Post by Feather » Aug 19th, '05, 02:02

COMPLETELY OFFTOPIC! I just saw a japanese rock band :w00t: I'm in heaven. whee.. I'm gonna download ep07 now.

EDIT: well. not now, but when it's uploaded ;) I'm drunk, sorry. off to sleep ->

urchin

Post by urchin » Aug 19th, '05, 02:15

Sugoi, arigato gozaimasu
Thanks for the translations, there's a few "uzai' at my work, :lol

cytodex

Post by cytodex » Aug 19th, '05, 03:40

Forgive my ignorance, Yamada-san is very apologetic as he keeps saying "sumimasen" all the times.

I notice that the subbing sometimes translates it as "sorry" but as "Thank You" occasionally. So, is it something that has to be understood in the context of the conversation???

Thx.

drewnamis

Post by drewnamis » Aug 19th, '05, 03:46

Sumimasen can also mean excuse me. But for the most part, yes you know by the context of the conversation.

usami_chan

Post by usami_chan » Aug 19th, '05, 04:46

Japansuki
Where did you download Share? Thank You.

20centuryboy

Post by 20centuryboy » Aug 19th, '05, 05:48

cytodex wrote:Forgive my ignorance, Yamada-san is very apologetic as he keeps saying "sumimasen" all the times.

I notice that the subbing sometimes translates it as "sorry" but as "Thank You" occasionally. So, is it something that has to be understood in the context of the conversation???

Thx.
Well, "sumimasen" is "sorry" indeed. But it can be undurstood as " sorry for the troubles" when someone does something for you. It's a kind of "thank you very much".

Kyusaku

Post by Kyusaku » Aug 19th, '05, 07:45

There's just one thing I have to say about ep 7.

Amuro~ furimukanaide~ :salut: