Only if you have time (2)
3%
STAY AWAY (1)
2%

Total votes: 645

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » Aug 26th, '05, 11:47

Prof Plum wrote:I have questions on the anime doll that Densha Otoko keeps fiddling with. Is it a real anime character? And why does she appear to have carrots coming out of her arse?

:scratch:
Somebody asked about the anime character and some of them believe that it was made up for the show.

key largo

Post by key largo » Aug 26th, '05, 11:52

Apparently you can buy the little figure now. Considering that all anime characters are made up for one show or another, this one isn't really any different, but it's better to think of it more as the mascot.

The only possible reason I could think that it would need carrots up it's arse would be so that the millions of Otaku could gaze in awe of it's cuteness and creativeness....

... oh... and so it can fly. Flight is quality.

kinki

Post by kinki » Aug 26th, '05, 12:07

Im loving this show! :wub:
some ppl who are new to Japanese culture or Japanese ppl might think this show is lots of exaggeration! specially how strangers (the ppl in that chatting room) cry for Densha while they never met before! :-) but if you try to understand those ppl, u will then learn that all of them relate to densha and are hoping to be like him in a way or another.
its the first time i get too hooked to a show that i clap my hands when densha do any porgress or when he's doing his best! and i sometimes say "Densha, ganbare-!" as if im a part of the show or one of those who are pushing densha to do his best!

cant wait to see the next episode of this show! i wanna watch the movie too! :wub:

key largo

Post by key largo » Aug 26th, '05, 12:16

AHHH!HH!!H!H I'm watching this special on ghibili, and that french unibrow guy is hosting it, and using his super annoying voice. I hate that guy. He serves no purpose.

Prof Plum
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Prof Plum » Aug 26th, '05, 12:57

key largo wrote:Apparently you can buy the little figure now. Considering that all anime characters are made up for one show or another, this one isn't really any different, but it's better to think of it more as the mascot.

The only possible reason I could think that it would need carrots up it's arse would be so that the millions of Otaku could gaze in awe of it's cuteness and creativeness....

When I'm next in Tokyo I'll buy one to worry my friends and relatives

Perhaps cure and creative but hardly practical.
Ok, I'm prepared to belive that they might be some kind of non-evolutionary propulsion units. But in the world of Anime are these typically a bodily mutation or part of the costume? Either way she'd need a special toilet.. surely.

key largo

Post by key largo » Aug 26th, '05, 13:13

Not so.

Anime rule #342:
All cute girl anime characters need not ever use a toilet. Their geeky male counterparts however, shall, at least once in their lifespan, suffer from explosive diarrhea, and run white eyed to the closest outhouse\washroom\hole in the ground.

Obviously this rule holds true for drama as well. Re: when Densha gets the gurgle stomach, is lead astray by the evil friend of Aoyama.

Molokidan

Post by Molokidan » Aug 26th, '05, 16:45

Episode #8 was so great. The niwatori part was especially funny, as well as the hospital scene....just what WAS she doing to him?!?!

But #09 looks like it might be the best by far. I mean...(spoiler)Saori finds the friggin' 2ch board!!!

Also, did anyone notice the Numa Numa Song in this episode? It was in the scene where Saori and Sakurai were in the bar for a minute...and then Sakurai was even humming it later. Bizarre...

P.S. I almost felt bad for Sakurai's fate on that hill, but then I remembered...the bastard punched Yamada twice while he was sick in bed! Serves him right!

drewnamis

Post by drewnamis » Aug 26th, '05, 19:14

key largo wrote:Apparently you can buy the little figure now. Considering that all anime characters are made up for one show or another, this one isn't really any different, but it's better to think of it more as the mascot.

http://www.volks.co.jp/jp/news/index_news46.html?you can buy it for JPY8800. The carrots are rockets and she is an android.

http://wwwc.fujitv.co.jp/denshaotoko/ah ... index.html is the fuki website for teh "back" story of densha otoko, which has the Mina anime storyline on it.

drewnamis

Post by drewnamis » Aug 26th, '05, 19:18

Kyusaku wrote: Yeah I just finished watching it. Was amusing, but ep 9 looks hilarious, just because of 1 quote "MOE?"
what is Moe? BTW, I just noticed that one of the guys on the forums is the same guy/character from "slow dance." The guy who runs the Taco Rice truck.

And did y'all notice the numa numa song playing @ the bar?

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » Aug 26th, '05, 19:31

drewnamis wrote:BTW, I just noticed that one of the guys on the forums is the same guy/character from "slow dance." The guy who runs the Taco Rice truck.
A lot of know that already. It's been mentioned here before a couple of times, which is no surprise. :roll

drewnamis

Post by drewnamis » Aug 26th, '05, 19:52

okay. i'm totally blind :-(

Masakun
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Masakun » Aug 26th, '05, 20:01

That 'Densha Otoko Investigation' is hilarious... Can't BELIEVE they actually used a fake Maid Cafe to bait otakus into an alley like that.

urchin

Post by urchin » Aug 26th, '05, 20:46

Who is that man in the very last scene arriving at the airport? Looks like Herme's otousan.

drewnamis

Post by drewnamis » Aug 26th, '05, 20:55

yeah, it *should* be her father, as he has the same last name as her.

Kyusaku

Post by Kyusaku » Aug 26th, '05, 20:59

drewnamis wrote:
Kyusaku wrote: Yeah I just finished watching it. Was amusing, but ep 9 looks hilarious, just because of 1 quote "MOE?"
what is Moe?
LOL this is one of those made up hard to explain terms it's tough for me to explain as well, there is a wiki about it though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mo%C3%A9

aso

Post by aso » Aug 26th, '05, 21:08

I also think that the guy in the end is Aoyama's father, didn't her mother say he was coming back home?

Lowest

Post by Lowest » Aug 26th, '05, 21:23

⊂⌒~⊃。Д。) ⊃

Prof Plum
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Prof Plum » Aug 27th, '05, 00:32

drewnamis wrote:

http://www.volks.co.jp/jp/news/index_news46.html?you can buy it for JPY8800. The carrots are rockets and she is an android.
That's a meal (without wine) at a top London restaurant! Looks like I'll have to scare them with something else. Maybe some fish snack.

SakuraG89

Post by SakuraG89 » Aug 27th, '05, 04:07

OK, I knew there was a manga out there, somewhere in the ether, which logically means some people must know how the story ends, but NOW I'm going to be tortured by my insatiable curiosity until the end of the series!! Does anyone know if this manga exists anywhere in an English version? (I will NOT ask how it ends, I WILL NOT ask how it ends!!!!!)

Eddie Haskell

Post by Eddie Haskell » Aug 27th, '05, 04:37

Just finish watching ep8.... wow... If you would die for a woman, she'd be the one.

Otaku1994

Post by Otaku1994 » Aug 27th, '05, 04:42

This show makes me want to get a new user name

doink-chan
United States of America

Post by doink-chan » Aug 27th, '05, 04:56

SakuraG89 wrote:OK, I knew there was a manga out there, somewhere in the ether, which logically means some people must know how the story ends, but NOW I'm going to be tortured by my insatiable curiosity until the end of the series!! Does anyone know if this manga exists anywhere in an English version? (I will NOT ask how it ends, I WILL NOT ask how it ends!!!!!)
The manga has not been picked up by a U.S. publisher yet (however doinkies bets it will in the future). KEFI is scanlating it and they have completed vol. 1 so far.

Tsunku

Post by Tsunku » Aug 27th, '05, 10:57

Molokidan wrote:They really made this drama tough to watch, (which is good,) because it's so realistic.

Take Saori's other love interest for example -- the guy that her brother Keisuke works for. I forget his name, but anyway...he's a good guy, there's nothing wrong with him at all. Hell, he even checks the 2ch forum like any other person. And it's not like he wants to kill Yamada or anything. Which is why you can't just say "Oh, she has that evil guy chasing her, Yamada will save her" or something, because that guy is just another nice girl who likes Saori. Since everything isn't cookie-cutter, it makes it seem very real-to-life.

if you paid attention you'd notice it's not really saori he's interested in, it's hermes-san...
it's not the person he wants but the ideal.

drewnamis

Post by drewnamis » Aug 27th, '05, 16:17

Initially it was that he was interested in Hermes-san but when he realizes Saori is Hermes san, he wants her, that's why in after episode 7, he changes.

tianj

Post by tianj » Aug 27th, '05, 16:24

Masakun wrote:That 'Densha Otoko Investigation' is hilarious... Can't BELIEVE they actually used a fake Maid Cafe to bait otakus into an alley like that.
Get the English subbed version of Densha Investigation here(although they named it differently but I checked it), and since its from tv-nihon, its not posted on the tracker(unless we get permission from them):

http://tvnihon.dragoneye.ca/torrents/%5 ... vi.torrent

brought to you by http://www.tvnihon.com/

cipater

Post by cipater » Aug 27th, '05, 16:28

I'm a girl, but... (hee) no, he's still interested in Hermes-san, it's just convenient that it happens to be Saori. You can even notice it whenever he askes about Saori, he'll stutter over saying Hermes-san first. He only starts to back down (a LITTLE) after he starts seeing that every attempt he makes fails and brings Yamada and Saori closer together.

Lowest

Post by Lowest » Aug 27th, '05, 19:20

Yeah they're right it's Hermes he likes that why he's always going to say Hermes instead of Saori (it's not exactly going to get her name confused for anyother reason after knowing her for years)

arisuoonuma

Post by arisuoonuma » Aug 28th, '05, 08:48

yess.. haha.. this is my outlet from my hectic american life. I LOVE IT

Tao Libra

Post by Tao Libra » Aug 28th, '05, 15:19

Here's a Japanese language question for our resident experts:

What is the origin of the expression キター? ("KITA") It gets used on Densha Otoko pretty often, and it is translated as "Yes!" in the subtitles; but it isn't listed in any of my Japanese dictionaries (which isn't necessarily surprising, since I only have three so far, and none of them are all that great), and even Babelfish refuses to translate it.

Is it just that my dictionaries suck? Or is キター perhaps a shortened version of some other word?

drewnamis

Post by drewnamis » Aug 28th, '05, 16:51

????? kitaaa is a corrupted form of ?? kita? (came), past tense of the verb kuru, which means to come.

greyhorse
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by greyhorse » Aug 28th, '05, 17:42

What is the origin of the expression キター?
greyhorse wrote:That was because the term doesn't have a single meaning. The literal meaning is "it came!", but it can also mean "I won!" often used in games of chance, or "yes, what I was hoping for happened!". You'll note that the Japanese term is writen in katakana, which works much like italicizing an English word, and acts as an accent, telling the reader that it has special significance. As such, the meaning of the word [in most cases] is more likely one of the latter two.

It's use as the first thing to appear on the screen, as well as Its widespread use in ep.01, told me it would take on symbolic significance in the series. It was therefore necessary to use a consistant term or sentence to represent it so the audience would immediately be able to recognise it. "YES!" was flexible enough in meaning that it could cover all the situations it appeared in ep.01. That it was also similar in length to the Japanese term it replaced, just made it better.
Its use to mean "I won" is probably a broken down way of saying "Luck came my way." As time passed its use widened, and nowadays it can be used as a general way to express excitement at a happy event.

Not to make too big a deal of it, but translating something is difficult because there usually isn't a perfect word that captures all the nuances of the original term. It's worse when the word is used in multiple scenes. My translation worked fairly well in Ep.01, but less so in certain other episodes. I'd be great if I could decide on how to translate a given word or phrase having seen the whole series, but I don't have that luxury. Overall however, I still think it's the best way of translating that particular word.

Tao Libra

Post by Tao Libra » Aug 29th, '05, 00:20

Ahhh… so it's the Informal Past Affirmative of 売る…?I should have guessed it was something like that, based on the -ita ending.

Now I get it, though. Thanks! And thanks for the explanation of how the expression developed. That's the sort of thing they don't usually put in the books.

And I'm not sure there'd be any better way to translate the sentiment into English than what you chose, Greyhorse. "It came" might be literally accurate, but it sure wouldn't convey the same functional meaning. Maybe "[Luck] came?" But that's a bit clumsy-looking, and not the least bit conversational.

So I think "Yes!" works just fine for the subtitles, given the context. Knowing the full explanation is only necessary if you're trying to learn Japanese – which I am, which is why I asked. So thanks for sharing your knowledge!

:D

drewnamis

Post by drewnamis » Aug 29th, '05, 00:49

Tao Libra wrote:Ahhh… so it's the Informal Past Affirmative of ??…?I should have guessed it was something like that, based on the -ita ending.

Now I get it, though. Thanks! And thanks for the explanation of how the expression developed. That's the sort of thing they don't usually put in the books.

And I'm not sure there'd be any better way to translate the sentiment into English than what you chose, Greyhorse. "It came" might be literally accurate, but it sure wouldn't convey the same functional meaning. Maybe "[Luck] came?" But that's a bit clumsy-looking, and not the least bit conversational.

So I think "Yes!" works just fine for the subtitles, given the context. Knowing the full explanation is only necessary if you're trying to learn Japanese – which I am, which is why I asked. So thanks for sharing your knowledge!

:D
dunno why but my japanese input has taken a crap on me. It's not "uru" which you typed, but kuru, which is "to come" which is also pronounced rai in the onyomi, in such compounds such as rainichi, (day of arrival), raishuu (next week).

past tense would be kimashita, present kiteru, future kimasu.

doink-chan
United States of America

Post by doink-chan » Aug 29th, '05, 01:02

drewnamis wrote: dunno why but my japanese input has taken a crap on me. It's not "uru" which you typed, but kuru, which is "to come" which is also pronounced rai in the onyomi, in such compounds such as rainichi, (day of arrival),
Actually, 来日 (rainichi) really means "coming to Japan"...the 日 is an abbreviation for 日本.

Molokidan

Post by Molokidan » Aug 29th, '05, 01:14

doink-chan wrote:
drewnamis wrote: dunno why but my japanese input has taken a crap on me. It's not "uru" which you typed, but kuru, which is "to come" which is also pronounced rai in the onyomi, in such compounds such as rainichi, (day of arrival),
Actually, 来日 (rainichi) really means "coming to Japan"...the 日 is an abbreviation for 日本.
Doink is right.

About 'kitaa,' however, I think that just like other words, (ganbaru, sugoi, etc.) its translation really depends on the situation in which it's used. Like, if Densha gets a message on his cell phone from Aoyama and says "Kitaaaa," then we can really say "It caaame!" However, if people are rejoicing at his latest feat or whatever, then we can just use "Yes!"

This is my personal opinion, but I don't feel that the literal translation really matters at all when translating from one language to another, as long as the context, feeling, and true meaning of each word comes across.....

greyhorse
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by greyhorse » Aug 29th, '05, 01:23

Molokidan wrote:About 'kitaa,' however, I think that just like other words, (ganbaru, sugoi, etc.) its translation really depends on the situation in which it's used. Like, if Densha gets a message on his cell phone from Aoyama and says "Kitaaaa," then we can really say "It caaame!" However, if people are rejoicing at his latest feat or whatever, then we can just use "Yes!"
That's true. For the reasons I listed above, I think I became a little too stuck on the idea of keeping this translation the same. キター isn't used nearly as much as it used to be, so I should probably change it when necessary to keep the accuracy as high as possible.
でもいまさら替えるのもなー、悩むー。

drewnamis

Post by drewnamis » Aug 29th, '05, 01:47

doink-chan wrote:
Actually, ?? (rainichi) really means "coming to Japan"...the ? is an abbreviation for ??.
souka. thanks for the correction. :-)

Tao Libra

Post by Tao Libra » Aug 29th, '05, 02:50

dunno why but my japanese input has taken a crap on me. It's not "uru" which you typed, but kuru
Whoops. I did intend to type 来る。That was a typo, which I didn't notice because (on my screen) the font size is small enough that 売 kinda looked like 来. I should have looked a little more closely.

I'll be more careful in the future, and not assume that the computer knows what I meant to type.

;-)

来る

There, that's better.

Tao Libra

Post by Tao Libra » Aug 29th, '05, 03:06

BTW: According to "Kodansha's Romanized Japanese-English Dictionary," the verb 来る is irregular, and conjugates as:

kuru - informal nonpast affirmative
konai - informal nonpast negative
kimasu - semi-formal nonpast affirmative
kitai - informal nonpast affirmative desiderative
kita - informal past affirmative
kitara - -tara conditional
kitari - alternative
kite - gerund
kureba - -ba conditional
koi - imperative
koyō - informal volitional

Is that an incomplete list of the possible tenses? I'm wondering because drewnamis said…
…and those first two aren't listed. I know the -masu can become -masen or -mashita, but where does the "kiteru" come from?

If my books are leaving out necessary information, maybe I need some new books.

KameSan

Post by KameSan » Aug 29th, '05, 03:57

Tao Libra wrote:BTW: According to "Kodansha's Romanized Japanese-English Dictionary," the verb 来る is irregular, and conjugates as:

kuru - informal nonpast affirmative
konai - informal nonpast negative
kimasu - semi-formal nonpast affirmative
kitai - informal nonpast affirmative desiderative
kita - informal past affirmative
kitara - -tara conditional
kitari - alternative
kite - gerund
kureba - -ba conditional
koi - imperative
koyō - informal volitional

Is that an incomplete list of the possible tenses? I'm wondering because drewnamis said…
…and those first two aren't listed. I know the -masu can become -masen or -mashita, but where does the "kiteru" come from?

If my books are leaving out necessary information, maybe I need some new books.
来ました (kimashita) is a very polits form of 来た (kita) and is generally not reffered to in dictionaries. This is why that casual form is often reffered to as "dictionary form".

As for 来てる (kiteru), this is a pattern you use with verbs, put them is "te form" (来て [kite]) then add る(ru) to make them present tense.

Masakun
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Masakun » Aug 29th, '05, 05:27

> Greyhorse

Thanks for taking the time to post up the subtitle files - a lot of my American friends now hate me because I've gotten them hooked on this fabulous J-Drama. It's definitely up there with the likes of Ousama no Restaurant.

You're absolutely right; it's one of those terms that really can't get translated into English. Personally I use it when I feel an alcohol buzz hits me or when I'm at an izakaya with some buddies and they bring out a ton of food, but sometimes "Yes!" is a perfect translation.

Part of it is the general culture of 2ch, which is one reason why this show is so thigh-slappingly funny. When a new episode of Densha Otoko shows up, or when the newest subtitle files come up, the most appropriate thing to say really is "Kitaaaaaaa!!"

Sure, its literal translation is "it arrived," and it works to a certain extent (whether Densha is telling everyone that Hermes agreed to eat with him or when he posts up something new on 2c... I mean, "Alpha Channel."

I guess it's just an jubilant, animated expression that people use when something they've been waiting for or hoping for has happened.

Anyway I've rambled on enough. Speaking of a buzz, the beer I had 5 minutes ago is starting ot hit me. Kitaaaaaa!!

Masa
---
Hermes-tan... Haaaa.. Haaaaaaaaa...

idream83

Post by idream83 » Aug 30th, '05, 03:05

電車男 is the best show this season, imo!

I'd really like to thank D-Addicts for giving me the opportunity to see this wonderfully hilarious show. I cant even begin to fathom how it all started! Maybe it was true, but we'll never know, as the people behind it have remained anonymous, as they should be. I can safely say that I do know people like Yamada-san, and that I will never feel embarrassed to know them, because I am like them in some ways.

Thanks to everyone who's been providing us this unique and entertaining show!

20centuryboy

Post by 20centuryboy » Aug 30th, '05, 07:23

Ho my god! He's getting her being an Otaku in the next episod! :D That's gross!
Last edited by 20centuryboy on Aug 30th, '05, 08:10, edited 1 time in total.

kusmog

Post by kusmog » Aug 30th, '05, 07:33

hahaha i'm in the middle of watching episode 8 now and I had to just say Sakurai is soooo hilarious in this episode. He's such a weirdo!! Is he like an RC-otaku or something?! As someone mentioned before, he is a bastard, but he's just so damn cartoony evil it's hysterical! XD
That chicken internet thing was so corny, aside from it's real intention (which didn't bother me). I really don't like those internet friends.. lol (cept that kaomoji-genius guy and I'm just a girl Ryoko ^^; ) but AS USUAL, the supporting characters just totally rock. Jinkama, Oikawa, his boss, his otaku friends, and of course Sakurai. funny funny stuff!
I think I missed something with the Jinkama joke in the beginning tho.. with the dream. and then she shows up with the needle (?) "I can't do that" (??) huh? was it like a... premonition for what happened later? LoL...
20centuryboy wrote:Ho my god! He's getting her being an Otaku in the next episod! :D That's gross!
lol, actually i can see this happening... my friend actually got into watching anime cuz of his girl... this is from a guy who used to be just into sports and had no prior serious interest in anime, other than the fact that his sister watches anime. hehe. Saori's doomed! j/k... It's nice to see she's that open-minded ^^

edit:
h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-holy crap! D-d-d-d-d-d-den-sh-sh-sha!
h-h-h-h-he, h-h-h-he d-d-d-didn't s-s-s-s-stutter at the end of uh... ummm... e-e-e-episode 8! Good job, Yamada! ~__^
バイなら!Byenara! ~__^

Gir

Post by Gir » Aug 30th, '05, 12:57

This was in the news this morning:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050830/ap_ ... the_movies
TOKYO - Declaring you're a "geek" might get you strange looks in some places. But a Japanese movie theater is offering outspoken nerds something positive: a discount.

A small movie theater outside Tokyo is offering cheaper tickets to so-called geeks for a summer romance movie about a nerdy guy who falls in love.

All that's needed to get the discount is to ask for "one ticket for a geek" at the booth for the Japanese movie "Train Man."

"Customers are getting a kick out of saying it," said Koji Nitta, sales chief the Fujisawa Chuo theater, south of Tokyo. "There are only a few who look like typical geeks, though."

The movie, "Densha Otoko" in Japanese, takes so-called geeks into a genre they're not usually associated with: romantic love. The 22-year-old hero turns to a favorite geek refuge in search of girlfriend advice — the Internet.

Offering a discount seems to be widening the types of people eligible to be otaku, the Japanese term for geeks: Nitta said about 70 percent of the theater's customers now claim to be geeks.

Tao Libra

Post by Tao Libra » Aug 30th, '05, 23:08

Episode 8 should have come with a Spew Warning: Because I nearly spewed Dr. Pepper all over my monitor when Sakurai-san did his Densha impersonation, complete with whiny stuttering.

:lol

kurokebi

Post by kurokebi » Aug 31st, '05, 02:18

Is it just me or did I hear Dragostea din tei in episode 8? Densha Otoko really is appealling to the Internet crowd. :blink

JewpinTheThird

Post by JewpinTheThird » Aug 31st, '05, 02:22

kurokebi wrote:Is it just me or did I hear Dragostea din tei in episode 8? Densha Otoko really is appealling to the Internet crowd. :blink
Hmm...I dont think it is that heavy into internet culture since the internet fad is over a year old now..but I'm guessing Dragostea Din Tei finally made its way to Japan.

But it was indeed quite surprising to hear.

kurokebi

Post by kurokebi » Aug 31st, '05, 02:34

Actually, Dragostea din tei was out in Japan for a while:
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/maiyahi.php (from 3rd quarter 2004)

That's not the only video of it...there are more where that came from :roll
Last edited by kurokebi on Aug 31st, '05, 02:35, edited 1 time in total.

Rice

Post by Rice » Aug 31st, '05, 02:35

drewnamis wrote:

http://wwwc.fujitv.co.jp/denshaotoko/ah ... index.html is the fuki website for teh "back" story of densha otoko, which has the Mina anime storyline on it.
JPY8800 = 80 US dollar, that's so damn expensive for a toy, it's not easy being an otaku :sweat: . My family and friends will make fun of or even ridicule me if I buy one :sweat: . Is there any US website selling that figure? :mrgreen:
Attachments
ninjin03.jpg
ninjin03.jpg (20.61 KiB) Viewed 3822 times
ninjin01.jpg
ninjin01.jpg (20.75 KiB) Viewed 3822 times
ninjin02.jpg
ninjin02.jpg (69.01 KiB) Viewed 3823 times
Last edited by Rice on Aug 31st, '05, 02:58, edited 1 time in total.

Moomin

Post by Moomin » Aug 31st, '05, 02:47

Gir wrote:This was in the news this morning:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050830/ap_ ... the_movies
TOKYO - Declaring you're a "geek" might get you strange looks in some places. But a Japanese movie theater is offering outspoken nerds something positive: a discount.

A small movie theater outside Tokyo is offering cheaper tickets to so-called geeks for a summer romance movie about a nerdy guy who falls in love.

All that's needed to get the discount is to ask for "one ticket for a geek" at the booth for the Japanese movie "Train Man."

"Customers are getting a kick out of saying it," said Koji Nitta, sales chief the Fujisawa Chuo theater, south of Tokyo. "There are only a few who look like typical geeks, though."

The movie, "Densha Otoko" in Japanese, takes so-called geeks into a genre they're not usually associated with: romantic love. The 22-year-old hero turns to a favorite geek refuge in search of girlfriend advice — the Internet.

Offering a discount seems to be widening the types of people eligible to be otaku, the Japanese term for geeks: Nitta said about 70 percent of the theater's customers now claim to be geeks.
Being an otaku or a geek is the trend now :lol
But that rocks, it's a good way of advertising and getting people in theatre.

otaprince

Post by otaprince » Aug 31st, '05, 05:19

am I the only one who finds Saori's mom hot to trot? :)

KameSan

Post by KameSan » Aug 31st, '05, 08:44

haha, check out what happens if you try to access to niwatori game address:

http://www.niwatorigame.com

That guy must have been bored... :lol
Last edited by KameSan on Aug 31st, '05, 09:37, edited 1 time in total.

doc_tomoe

Post by doc_tomoe » Aug 31st, '05, 09:00

It might be based on a true story, but i doubt the real guy really was such a crybaby. I think Densha's played like this so that the difference to his former self stand out more...

Otaku in Japanese means something like Home... so you might interpret it as somebody who doesn't leave the house -> couch potatoe

20centuryboy

Post by 20centuryboy » Aug 31st, '05, 09:09

kurokebi wrote:Actually, Dragostea din tei was out in Japan for a while:
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/maiyahi.php (from 3rd quarter 2004)

That's not the only video of it...there are more where that came from :roll
As if the hearthquakes were not enough! Poor japanese people :cry:

nxi4

slowdensha

Post by nxi4 » Aug 31st, '05, 09:21

considering i dont have the time to read through 24 pages, i apologise if somebody brought it up in this are another topic before, but i thought it was quite interesting.

it is the guy below (Youichi Nukumizu). for those of you that are watching it, i am sure you know that he is also appearing in slow dance. and as you can see in the picture below taken from densha otoko, he has many paraphernalia from slow dance on his computer table.

you have the hemingway coffee cup, the photo of him and his wife, and a sticker for the mexican mobile restaurant that they work at! the little green and yellow man is the "shoshinsha mark".
the symbol that you are supposed to place on the front and back of your car for a year (?) after passing your driving test here in japan.

i was maybe a bit slow to catch on only in the 8th episode, but a friend told me that they did an article on a show about all densha otoko's supporters. many have an interesting trivia that you dont immediately realise. for example one of the girls that is always dressed in cosplay, she is actually a "megane otaku", ie glasses otaku. true enogh, although i had been watching for 8 weeks, i never noticed until i was told!

ok, so after a long time trying :crazy: i couldnt work out how to capture the screenshot! so just upped a small picture of him. but for those sad enough to want to see it for yourself, it was 8mins 46secs into episode 8 that i was trying to capture.

next bit of stuff that i just checked out was the niwatori game.
the address is actually (www.niwatorigame.com)
actually the full address as came on the screen was
→(http://www.niwatorigame.com/asdhw1723512i0we9ad8faa)

please check it out :D
Attachments
slowdensha.jpg
slowdensha.jpg (6.72 KiB) Viewed 3676 times

KameSan

Post by KameSan » Aug 31st, '05, 09:43

doc_tomoe wrote:Otaku in Japanese means something like Home... so you might interpret it as somebody who doesn't leave the house -> couch potatoe
No... those two words in fact have nothing in common. Just one of the many words that sound the same in Japanese.

doc_tomoe

Post by doc_tomoe » Aug 31st, '05, 09:56

KameSan wrote:
doc_tomoe wrote:Otaku in Japanese means something like Home... so you might interpret it as somebody who doesn't leave the house -> couch potatoe
No... those two words in fact have nothing in common. Just one of the many words that sound the same in Japanese.
mhh some person from .jp told me .. but oh well ....

steam.boy

Post by steam.boy » Aug 31st, '05, 10:27

Omg!
I'm watching the news here in Canada in the morning

and I ear the news about the geeks(otaku) getting discounts for the movie.

Man, that's some popularity Ne

I would like to thank junkboy77 for the raws and Greyhorse for subs
Keep at it, you are doing great jobs, Arigatou

Byenara
Last edited by steam.boy on Aug 31st, '05, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.

ThangDiengXD

Post by ThangDiengXD » Aug 31st, '05, 10:55

hmmm..are we talking abt the movie or series?..
havent saw the movie...but the series are fun^^

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » Aug 31st, '05, 11:54

ThangDiengXD wrote:hmmm..are we talking abt the movie or series?..
Everyone here can talk about both, but mostly the discussion is about the drama.
havent saw the movie...but the series are fun^^
The movie is still playing in theaters in Japan right now, so not many people are really discussing about it. Besides, some people say that the drama is better than the movie.

doink-chan
United States of America

Post by doink-chan » Aug 31st, '05, 15:31

KameSan wrote:
Um, but it's true. The word otaku does literally mean "your house". And it did come from that word. In fact doinkies sometimes still hears "otaku" used to mean "your house".

KameSan

Post by KameSan » Aug 31st, '05, 16:40

doink-chan wrote:
KameSan wrote:
Um, but it's true. The word otaku does literally mean "your house". And it did come from that word. In fact doinkies sometimes still hears "otaku" used to mean "your house".
Yes, I am well aware of that use of the word. All I'm saying is that the two words aren't actually related.

Bahamut619
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Bahamut619 » Aug 31st, '05, 17:16

"Otaku" can also mean "you". I heard people started to call anime geeks "Otaku" because that's the way they refer to eachother...

ThangDiengXD

Post by ThangDiengXD » Aug 31st, '05, 17:41

hmmmz anywayz i wanna see the movie, "forgot name" plays in it i wonder how good he can play a otaku..u know..the yamada? or sumthing i forgot..saw him in H2!! fireboys and waterboys now..any1 know where 2 dl it?(english subbed )

wachi

Post by wachi » Sep 1st, '05, 02:27

I have the CAMRIP version of the movie.

Since most people watch the drama before they see the movie, I think more people will like the drama better. The movie isn't as funny & exaggerated.. it's more of a melodrama. Some funny scenes here and there, but nothing like the drama. Yamada's cool though.
Anticipating that kiss scene. :D

kusmog

Post by kusmog » Sep 1st, '05, 06:10

Bahamut619 wrote:"Otaku" can also mean "you". I heard people started to call anime geeks "Otaku" because that's the way they refer to eachother...
hmm... so does that come from the word (at least I think it's a word) "taku" that I keep hearing being translated as something like "geez" or wuever? I'm thinking it may be along the same lines as how "mae" means before or in front, but when you add the honorific "o" in front it becomes "you" (omae)...

drewnamis

Post by drewnamis » Sep 1st, '05, 07:07

kusmog wrote:
Bahamut619 wrote:"Otaku" can also mean "you". I heard people started to call anime geeks "Otaku" because that's the way they refer to eachother...
hmm... so does that come from the word (at least I think it's a word) "taku" that I keep hearing being translated as something like "geez" or wuever? I'm thinking it may be along the same lines as how "mae" means before or in front, but when you add the honorific "o" in front it becomes "you" (omae)...
otaku can mean you, or it can mean your home. same kanji. kinda like ie can me home or family.

but the "taku" for geez is an abbreviation of "mattaku" which has nothing to do with otaku.

on a somewhat related note, it's funny that Kisama used to be an honorific, but now it's deragatory.

drewnamis

Post by drewnamis » Sep 1st, '05, 07:09

KameSan wrote:
doink-chan wrote:
KameSan wrote:
Yes, I am well aware of that use of the word. All I'm saying is that the two words aren't actually related.
the two words are etymologically related and actually the same. BUT the term Otaku as used in Densha Otoko is slang, and nowadays is spelt in Katakana instead of hiragana/kanji to differentiate.

wachi

Post by wachi » Sep 1st, '05, 21:58

Densha Otoko episode 9 is on my box, for those who can't wait. :)
Not sure about the size that junkboy will upload, but mine is around 434MB.

kaosrave

Post by kaosrave » Sep 1st, '05, 22:07

i want to watch the movie so baddddly. lol. but i dont know where to get it.

wachi

Post by wachi » Sep 1st, '05, 22:09

U can try my clubbox. I must have said that so many times now. :D
Or just wait for the DVD to come out for better quality or buy it maybe.

kaosrave

Post by kaosrave » Sep 1st, '05, 22:12

i dont know how to use clubbox. and im also not able to read or write korean.

Xander_Kross

Post by Xander_Kross » Sep 2nd, '05, 02:57

About the Densha Otoko movie.

I went to see it here in Tokyo after watching the first 3 or 4 episodes of the drama. Much like many other people have commented, I enjoy the drama much, much more.

The TV drama is more of a comedy, and the movie is more serious.

But for anyone who does see the movie, sit through the credits until the end and you get a nice little surprise :-)

cloud78

Post by cloud78 » Sep 2nd, '05, 03:37

wachi wrote:Densha Otoko episode 9 is on my box, for those who can't wait. :)
Not sure about the size that junkboy will upload, but mine is around 434MB.
Thank you for this... :D