[Movie Discussion] Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.

Rate it

GODLY
61%
Good
20%
Above Average
7%
Above Average
7%
Average
2%
Bad
2%

Total votes: 98

fwenatic

Post by fwenatic » Sep 16th, '05, 06:21

u all downloaded already ic..
where to get?

Ibanzze

Finally..

Post by Ibanzze » Sep 16th, '05, 07:01

For FF freaks this would be da bomb.. well, at least for me.. :D
I guess the plot is ok, 'cos honestly they don't have much to work with..
Sepiroth's dead.. supposedly.. hehe.. :blink
Midgar was heavily destroyed..
And Jenova? well.. somebody gotta help me with that..

anyways..
The action/fighting scenes were awsome..
Lotsa bike chase like the one in the game.. (ain't those bikes' the dope or what?)
And i was surprised on how HOT Tifa is.. hehe..
Too bad they didn't put materia and limit level in action.. that'd be awsome..
Knights of round table anyone? 8)
(well, actually they did.. kind of.. seeing ifrith here and there won't hurt that much.. sigh..)

aaahh.. hopefuly they'll make ff 8 movie.. and show Rinoa on every scene.. hehe..
ooohh I wish.. :pray:

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Sep 16th, '05, 07:26

I'll buy his game when it comes to shore in the United States. I want to see a sequel for this series or any Square-Enix's movies. I want to support them. I'll even buy a few copies, and share it with my friends and families. If people want Square-Enix to continue with their movies....PLEASE PURCHASE THE DAMN DVD!!!!!

Ibanzze

Post by Ibanzze » Sep 16th, '05, 13:07

crazylife123 wrote:I'll buy his game when it comes to shore in the United States. I want to see a sequel for this series or any Square-Enix's movies. I want to support them. I'll even buy a few copies, and share it with my friends and families. If people want Square-Enix to continue with their movies....PLEASE PURCHASE THE DAMN DVD!!!!!
Anybody knows when the dvd will be available in hastings or blokbuster?
Yes... please show your support by purchasing the DVD... with less than what u spend on a cup of coffee from a vending machine everyday, you can purchase this dvd in a month..

:thumright:

georgeyklee
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by georgeyklee » Sep 16th, '05, 13:25

best anime movie since Macross Zero

TIticamara

Post by TIticamara » Sep 16th, '05, 13:41

Too bad they didn't put materia and limit level in action.. that'd be awsome
Are you high or something? tifa did 4 of the limitbreaks; beatdown, waterkick, somersault, meteo strike

cloud used braver,blade beam,clim hazard and omnislahs 2.0

kinki

Post by kinki » Sep 16th, '05, 15:38

i was sorry for Square enix, and frustrated from the fact it was leaked..but i watched bien version...im not being conradictory, its just that im sure and willing to support the original DVD when its out! and was frustrated that many cheap ppl out there who watched it for free and not going to buy the DVD. well, i really hope many ppl will still buy the original DVD when its out!!

tonydesu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by tonydesu » Sep 16th, '05, 18:27

Caspian wrote:
Whaaaa, it's not about that dude. It's more about like, what happens after it all you know? If you played the game. Then you should know all of the dynamic charecter devolpment already, and the only ones that really need it would be reno and his turk buddy. I beleive Square was meaning for this movie to be made for the people that understand and have played FF7 and live it like a religion, like myself, and many friends do.

I think it was wonderfully done.
I guess I just don't worship this game like a religion that I see faults in it. I had higher expectations of this movie, and think it could've been better. I noticed that no ones expanded on things that are wrong with this movie. So as a non-religious FF fan, here's my things I liked and disliked about the movie.

<SPOILERS AHEAD>

Good things:
Graphics: Excellent. Clothing textures. Hair. Masses of people. Fight scenes. Character detail: Breathtaking. Enough's been said already.
Tifa: Looks like Ryoko Hirosue
Setting: Midgar looks great!
Music: Had a lot of familiar tunes, nice touch. Cell phone ring was kool.
Fanservice: Lots of goodies for people who've played the game. Moogle doll, motorbikes, Cloud's crazy array of swords!

Bad things:
Story line/Villains: So after the the game ends, they face these lame bad guys? Two of them look like kuja ripoffs in tight leather, except one has long hair one with short hair. And a guy that looks like Paul Pheonix. And this story line about searching for mother... I like FF and all, but you gotta admit this is pretty weak. I've seen Naruto filler episodes with more interesting villains and storylines. Well maybe not that bad...
Storytelling: They hide the fact that the story sucks by telling the story in this vague, Matrix Revolutions sort of way. Scene transition is also horrible. It feels like you're watching a bunch of random FMV scenes stuck together. They should have called this movie FF7: Random Fight Collection.
Random Symbolism: Random grey wolf. Someone please explain the wolf to me.
Lame plot twists: What was the point of Cloud getting shot in the back!?
Character Air time: We see more of the bad guys, rufus, marlene, the other orphan boy, Reno and his turk buddy, random grey wolf... than the characters that matter! Aeris, Cid, Vincent, Yuffie, and to a lesser extent, Red xiii and Cait Sith. Why have the turks fight the bad guys in Midgar square instead of have the other characters jump in? Which brings me to another point
Second half of the movie: The fights in this half were weak compared to the first three (cloud, tifa, cloud in white forest). Especially the Bahamut fight. It would have been cool if all the FF7 characters combined their limit breaks, used some materia, or something to defeat him. Instead we get some antigravity action which left me and my friends laughing at the insanity of this whole movie.
Character Dialog/interaction: Reno and his turk buddy were the only characters with decent lines. None of the other characters have anything worthwhile to say.

</END SPOILERS>

Conclusion: Despite its problems, its an enjoyable movie to watch for anyone that's ever played a FF game. If you go into this movie expecting to see lots of kool fights, you'll love it. If you expect a good a good storyline, you'll fall asleep. It's worth watching it at least once just for the graphics.

If you haven't played FF you can enjoy the scenery. But at the end you'll probably be like "Who's that girl in the pink? Is that mother?"

If you don't understand Japanese watch it anyways without the english subtitles. The talking and story line just gets in the way. You should be focusing on the graphics more than trying to understand this story, and you won't be missing much.

Shikensha

Post by Shikensha » Sep 16th, '05, 20:20

I'd agree with Tony with a lot of the points he listed. I was thinking the same thing after I watched the movie. The movie was a beautiful work of art, nothing short of Squarenix's artwork but the content itself was really pretty average. It was a movie for FFVII fans who have played the game otherwise, you wouldn't have a clue who was who and what was happening.

Btw, if anyone's interested in learning more about the original AC characters like Denzel, you can have a read at the web novel, "On a Way to a Smile" that's being serialized on the JP movie site just now. It concentrates on what happened to each of the characters in the 2 years between FFVII and this movie. You learn more about Denzel and things such as the Geostigma disease.

It really fills in a lot of the unanswered questions the movie left viewers with.

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/dvd/ff7ac/ ... lmain.html
http://e.1asphost.com/ffwebnovel/

Anyway, I can't wait til I get my copy of this movie. Limited edition has a lot of movie related goodies like the extra scenes that never made it to the final product but, the price is a bit too high for me :/

rel

Post by rel » Sep 16th, '05, 20:36

Wow.. this is what the first FF movie should have been like!!! :P Love the action, fighting and speciall effects hell ya :P I hope the bombing of the first FF movie doesnt sway movie goers to skip this great movie :p
Last edited by rel on Sep 16th, '05, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.

lingqi

Want to replay the game

Post by lingqi » Sep 16th, '05, 20:54

Here is a question, though. I don't have a PS anymore, but there is a PC version because I used to have the english PC version.

This time, however, I would really like to try it in Japanese. so does anyone know if the PC version was even released in Japan? If so, where would I find it?

thanks

(-Oni-Kazuki-)

Post by (-Oni-Kazuki-) » Sep 16th, '05, 21:31

TIticamara wrote:
Are you high or something? tifa did 4 of the limitbreaks; beatdown, waterkick, somersault, meteo strike

haha sumone was paying attention.... but i do have to admit the beggining was mroe for comedy than anything.. lol late middle to end was the best parts...

theGreat0ne

Post by theGreat0ne » Sep 16th, '05, 21:55

i was wondering if anyone know the song that was being played when cloud was fighting sephiroth? the one that was saing S-E-P-H-I-R-O-T-H...

(-Oni-Kazuki-)

Post by (-Oni-Kazuki-) » Sep 16th, '05, 22:00

theGreat0ne wrote:i was wondering if anyone know the song that was being played when cloud was fighting sephiroth? the one that was saing S-E-P-H-I-R-O-T-H...
should be called Sephiroth Theme... i think it was the orchestra one...

oppps i think its one winged angel (sephiroth)

theGreat0ne

Post by theGreat0ne » Sep 16th, '05, 22:23

you know where i can dl it?

(-Oni-Kazuki-)

Post by (-Oni-Kazuki-) » Sep 16th, '05, 22:44

theGreat0ne wrote:you know where i can dl it?

limewire is where i got mine at...

LightningEmperor

Post by LightningEmperor » Sep 16th, '05, 22:57

Even if I downloaded AC and Last Order I still bought the AC: Ultimate Edition and I'm also going to buy the English DVD's when they come out. Oh yeah, the song they were playing during the Sephiroth fight is called Katayoku no Tenshi/One Winged Angel but it was redone by Nobuo Uematsu's band, the Black Mages.

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought the movie was amazing! I especially love the ending where he sees Zack and Aeris again. :w00t:

Shikensha

Post by Shikensha » Sep 17th, '05, 01:29

So far there's been a lot of negative feedback on Amazon about the limited edition... Mainly because of how expensive it is and the contents. I can agree with them so far since if you think about how many of the items you're actually interested in, there's not many is there? :|

Maybe after hearing some feedback they might lower the price or change something.

~Adam~

Post by ~Adam~ » Sep 17th, '05, 04:57

I don't know the story of FF7 but I watched this and enjoyed it, it looked AMAZING.

sharnock

Post by sharnock » Sep 17th, '05, 08:41

Buy the DVD plz! Support Square-Enix in producing movies with such gd qualities like FFVII (em.. this help to motivate them so that they produce more such movies .. isn't that wat u wish for)

nicpkh

Post by nicpkh » Sep 17th, '05, 11:10

sharnock wrote:Buy the DVD plz! Support Square-Enix in producing movies with such gd qualities like FFVII (em.. this help to motivate them so that they produce more such movies .. isn't that wat u wish for)
Yeah you damn right sharnock... So FF fans out there please support Square Enix and buy the DVD.. I gonna buy it soon after it come out at market :D

ghostdoctor

Post by ghostdoctor » Sep 17th, '05, 12:03

Shikensha wrote:So far there's been a lot of negative feedback on Amazon about the limited edition... Mainly because of how expensive it is and the contents. I can agree with them so far since if you think about how many of the items you're actually interested in, there's not many is there? :|

Maybe after hearing some feedback they might lower the price or change something.
I don't mind paying for that price, since it IS worth it. this is one movie that is worth every penny!!!

yeah, I agree. We should buy it to support Square-Enix to make more kind of this type of movies that is VERY GOOD. And worth watching several times!

wai_2j

Post by wai_2j » Sep 17th, '05, 12:56

This movie was amazing, and everyone who loves FF7 will also think so too. However movie buffs will say it's poor due to its storyline and poor battle camerawork.

When u think about it, the storyline is really rubbish, but after seeing so many memories brought up from the game, who cares!

nicpkh

Post by nicpkh » Sep 17th, '05, 17:14

Yea it remind me of memories the gameplay we all play few year back ago after watching this movie... Even thought the storyline not so great but it worth thing to watch... I don regret it to buy the original... :D

ThangDiengXD

Post by ThangDiengXD » Sep 17th, '05, 17:28

story line was kinda suky yeh-_-"
:P but overall Great movie..im oso gonna buy the dvd, =D

Yoroshiku

Post by Yoroshiku » Sep 17th, '05, 21:26

whos Zack again? I forgot :P

Shikensha

Post by Shikensha » Sep 17th, '05, 21:43

ghostdoctor wrote:I don't mind paying for that price, since it IS worth it. this is one movie that is worth every penny!!!
The two DVDs I want but the other things like the cap, t-shirt, script book, international version of FFVII, figurines are all useless to me. So in that case I don't think £145 is worth it :| They just had to put the extra scenes and the making of the movie in the limited edition pack..

swing a go go

Post by swing a go go » Sep 19th, '05, 01:56

i'm not going to write anything good or bad about the movie until i see it with my own two eyes. any comment on my part would be unfair and bias. i am purposely not downloading because my dvd is coming in the next few days.

diablonhn

Post by diablonhn » Sep 19th, '05, 02:16

if you're a computer geek like me, you will be amazed by the algorithms used to simulate the hair and clothing, it's unreal!

anyways, i always hated the color contrast and pace used by the square-enix team, you know you can barely see or comprehend anything in some scenes because the action moved too fast or the main object of focus blended into the background too easily

anyways, the coolest scene by far has to be the tifa on the wall, it seems nobody likes aeris lol...

the storyline of the movie is hard to comprehend, you will have to watch the short anime FF7:Lost Order to understand some plot elements

fwenatic

Post by fwenatic » Sep 19th, '05, 15:16

the graphics are OUTTA THIS WORLD!!!!!!!!!
movement was smooth except hand movement
i wanna learn to be that great someday!! XD
man the story line was pretty smooth
all the chars potray a really cool character!
the best graphics EVER!

Akiramike
Fansubber
Fansubber
Australia

Post by Akiramike » Sep 19th, '05, 15:20

tonydesu wrote: Tifa: Looks like Ryoko Hirosue
Glad I'm not the only one who thought so as well.

Check out http://hamsapsukebe.blogspot.com/2005/0 ... ryoko.html for some comparisons.

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Sep 19th, '05, 15:34

Best graphic on an anime...

#1) FF: Spirit Within
#2) FF: Advent Children
#3) AppleSeed

Agree?

Kaila

Post by Kaila » Sep 19th, '05, 16:18

All I can say is... Hot Dammmmmmm :wub:

This is going in my all time fav list of movies. I mean when the DVD comes out I'm even willing to buy them despite my prediction that it would be horribly expensive. I sincerely hope it comes with original japanese audio with english subtitles.

fantasy

Post by fantasy » Sep 19th, '05, 16:20

It's good (o^^)b

nicpkh

Post by nicpkh » Sep 19th, '05, 16:30

Yoroshiku wrote:whos Zack again? I forgot :P
You wanna know who is Zack.. Play again the game then you will know it :D :D ...

Dorobou

Post by Dorobou » Sep 19th, '05, 16:40

Akiramike wrote:
tonydesu wrote: Tifa: Looks like Ryoko Hirosue
Glad I'm not the only one who thought so as well.
And here I am thought that Tifa looks like Noriko Sakai. :P

Ibanzze

Post by Ibanzze » Sep 19th, '05, 19:21

TIticamara wrote:

gotta hand it to you man.. your eye balls must have been glued to the screen when you watched it.. i only noticed 2 for each person..
no, i wasn't high.. i was drunk when i watched it..

:alcoholic:

xiaryx
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by xiaryx » Sep 20th, '05, 04:45

Just watch the movie today. I agree that the animation was HOT...but it does lack a storyline..Look at all those facial expressions (especially tifa)..damn....

I start following ff series with ff8, so I miss this game, but the story is easy to catch up if you read some of the synopsis on ff7 fansite.

I dont think Tifa looks like Ryoko Hirosue. She looks the same as Rinoa from ff8. Yuna with her round face would resemble Ryoko Hirosue better I think. Heh yes Tifa is very good looking in this movie.. I think I saw a japanese actress who looks like her but cant remember at this moment ..grr.

fwenatic

Post by fwenatic » Sep 20th, '05, 07:12

the graphics are super amazing!!!!!!!!
damn their really good at graphics!

Amleth

Post by Amleth » Sep 20th, '05, 07:56

#3) AppleSeed
I think Advent Children has better CG than Spirits Within... A lot better. Just look at the fighting scenes... I SW, they're almost unexistent... But in AC.... WOW XD...

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Sep 20th, '05, 08:25

Amleth wrote:

#3) AppleSeed
I think Advent Children has better CG than Spirits Within... A lot better. Just look at the fighting scenes... I SW, they're almost unexistent... But in AC.... WOW XD...
The fighting scene doesn't make an anime's graphic better. Spirit Within's graphic are so close to human. You could see the freckles on their face.

onoturtle
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by onoturtle » Sep 20th, '05, 09:00

it's hard to compare between those three movies, very different styles. appleseed was trying to look like an anime, SW was trying to be realistic, and AC is somewhere in between. i personally think the look of AC surpasses that of SW in realism, but of course the animation wasn't, it was anime style. i mean come on, it's been years since SW was made. just look at the advances of computing technology since then, and already you have a leap in what you can render in a practical amount of time. i'm told, by an ex-Square employee who now teaches at the University of Hawaii, that his Apple laptop was more powerful (in terms of CPU) than the workstations they were using in the development of SW... of course it is up to the artists and animators to make good on the technology, and i believe they did

Amleth

Post by Amleth » Sep 20th, '05, 12:43

The fighting scene doesn't make an anime's graphic better. Spirit Within's graphic are so close to human. You could see the freckles on their face.
Characters in AC aren't as close as human as in SW, because they dind't want to meke them as realistic... And fighting scenes have a lot to do. What do u think it's harder to do: a moving character o an static one? There aren't fighting scenes in SW because they couldn't do anything better. Just look at the scenes of people soothing: They're just standing there... They sure have improved a lot.
The only thing they didn't manage to do very well was RedXII... It doesn't look realistic... Seems more a Puppet than a iving thing.

urpitsx2

Post by urpitsx2 » Feb 24th, '07, 21:59

i watched this before. and at first i was like wtf?! because i didnt have a clue about ff7 so like yea lol i watched it over and over a few times till i did more research and understand it :) it has very good CG , etc really great action ^-^ do you think gackt is somewhat like cloud? but ya tifa ftw :)