Vietnamese D-Addicts

speak whatever language you like here.
IceThy

Post by IceThy » Sep 25th, '05, 15:08

you guy mind posting your pic up, i want to see what is the viet around the world look like. hahahah
You go ahead ^^

wow there seems to be a lot of vietnamese people around here... I just wanted to say Hi to all the newbies!! :)

@Jane I agree with mangosteen, i think the most people who relocate and start a new life in a western country want to earn some money or at least get out of poverty.
The most Vietnamese people I know share the same opinion. They prefer living in Vietnam but without money there's no way to to lead a high standard life.

@wrachi lol's yea I still remember! I couldn't stand watching these series! XD
I know that I found it quite strange .... especially the sad scenes didn't seem to be that sad with these dubbed versions! I couldn't take them serious.... ^^
Last edited by IceThy on Sep 25th, '05, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.

bwena87

Post by bwena87 » Sep 25th, '05, 15:10

How many people here have the surname NGUYEN???? OMg wen u look in our phone book there are like 10 pages delicated to the surname NGUYEN!!!

i myself i'm a Nguyen!! PROUD TO BE ONE!! :lol

P.S have u ever go asked are you related to so & so because you are asian share the same surname?? i get it all the time from new teachers in my school because there are soo many Nguyens'.... they assume u r related!! :glare:

IceThy

Post by IceThy » Sep 25th, '05, 15:23

@bwena Here u go! I am also a Nguyen... ^^ the last dynastie in our country was the Nguyen one.
And yeah hell everytime when I tell somebody my name is blabla Nguyen they say.... Really? I know this vietnamese guy his name's also nguyen. Is he realated to you?
My standard answer: ehm no sorry... there a lots of viets who are blessed with this surname.... just like schmitd or Müller (2 very common surnames in Germany)
Then they go *Ah is that true? blabla....
It's always the same.....

Or do you also always have to hear different versions of ur name? I mean the germans really have problems to pronounce the word Nguyen ... they say Nuan or Nnnngujan

bwena87

Post by bwena87 » Sep 25th, '05, 15:49

IceThy wrote:@bwena Here u go! I am also a Nguyen... ^^ the last dynastie in our country was the Nguyen one.
And yeah hell everytime when I tell somebody my name is blabla Nguyen they say.... Really? I know this vietnamese guy his name's also nguyen. Is he realated to you?
My standard answer: ehm no sorry... there a lots of viets who are blessed with this surname.... just like schmitd or Müller (2 very common surnames in Germany) Then they go *Ah is that true? blabla

OMg!! Aussies have a problem pronouncing Nguyen too! they always say NewGuyEn... nugen and wen i correct them they alwayz 4get and do it again! :glare: LOL

i alway get "white" people especially asking me to teach them how to swear in vietnamese so they can swear at other vietnamese people or whoever doesnt understand it........ and they would keep on repeating it over and over thinking its soo funni and after that you get all these people asking me what does wotever so & so say means??? :lol

wachi

Post by wachi » Sep 25th, '05, 15:51

I think if you watch a Viet dubbed series, the voices don't always give the actor/actress justice. I can't tell if they're good or not. I prefer them with their original voices.. even if it can be more annoying.

But anyway, I'm also a NGUYEN. haha. I mean, the related thing is rather funny, but it's just stupid when you have the same first & last name with someone and they still ask you if you guys are sister/brother. I'm like.. why would our parents named us the same? People.. they're so closed-minded, sometimes.

bwena87

Post by bwena87 » Sep 25th, '05, 15:59

wachi wrote: But anyway, I'm also a NGUYEN. haha. I mean, the related thing is rather funny, but it's just stupid when you have the same first & last name with someone and they still ask you if you guys are sister/brother. I'm like.. why would our parents named us the same? People.. they're so closed-minded, sometimes.

same first name and Last name and people still ask are u brother or sister????? HUAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol Exactly why would our parents names us the same!!! SOmE pEoPLe ArE sOOOoooooOOoO STUPID!!! :lol i never get that though about the same name.... coz my name is unique (well spelt incorrectly on my birth certifcate) so i doubt any one has my name... just one letter missing it changed my whole name and its pronouncation! :P ohwell... i lived with it for 18 years wot can you do?! no point in changing it :lol

trec
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by trec » Sep 25th, '05, 16:11

wachi wrote:My parents still rent HK Viet dubbed dramas every week. I think it's the only type of drama they watch to pass the time. I wish they would dubbed JDRAMA as well.. but I dun want them to come out all weird and stuffs.
TVB actually has good dubbers.. I prefer their voices over the Taiwanese/China dubbers... somehow they just come out really corny & annoying.
Remember the golden times? With TVB 80's dubbed drama? haha ..I think they actually used "ba('c ky`" dubbers. It was so funny.
Yeah! I totally agree. I'd be cool if they did dub Japanese dramas... then that case we could watch more... But then it'd be probably be weirded. And I reckon the TVB dubs are the best. I seriously can't stand Taiwan/China dubbed stuff. ATV dubs are ok too.
bwena87 wrote:How many people here have the surname NGUYEN???? OMg wen u look in our phone book there are like 10 pages delicated to the surname NGUYEN!!!

P.S have u ever go asked are you related to so & so because you are asian share the same surname?? i get it all the time from new teachers in my school because there are soo many Nguyens'.... they assume u r related!! :glare:
I'm not a Nguyen, but my mum is. lol... :P

lido_viet

Post by lido_viet » Sep 25th, '05, 16:18

hehe..Hi hi peeps!! how my viet fellows doin o.O?? keke...im a Nguyen lol!!, living in the UK. Londoners call Nguyen, nu-an or na- guy- an..LOL
I was born in Singapore, and grew up in the UK...I've been back to VN like 2 times now I've seen Saigon, Nha Trang and Quy nhon.. :lol

I cnt wait to go travelling!! :w00t: gonna go Singapore, Korea, Australia, and Japan and then all over Europe!! :w00t: KAKAKA

p.s does ne1 know wer i can get any dubbed dramas in viiet..it can be nething from HK to taiwanese...? o_O

IceThy

Post by IceThy » Sep 25th, '05, 16:19

lol haha... I think if someone would ask me if I was a sister of someone with the same name I'd just say Yea..... :D

ah and I also prefer the original voices... viet dubbed isn't good at all.
actually I never liked dubbed versions....... I also prefer watching hollywood filmings in english. since I live in germany the movies are all german dubbed..... or animes.
I think the subs do not disturb at all.

bwena87

Post by bwena87 » Sep 25th, '05, 16:24

yeah i would prefer subs over dubbed anyday!!! dubbed its just one boring old tone!! yeah i agree TVB dubbed are soo much better than Taiwan and chinese, puts me off from watchin taiwanese and chinese dramas! it put me off watching the Taiwanese series Mars wen it first came out viet dubbed!! it was SOOO ARRGHHHH! however i downloaded it and it was excellent!!

WOW Look at how many NGUyens there are!! hauhahahahaha NGUYENS DOMINATE!!

IceThy

Post by IceThy » Sep 25th, '05, 16:24

ah yea now that I think about it... people always are confused when they keep asking me what was the surname of my mother before...
My mother an original nguyen married my father... also an original Nguyen.
So they keep asking me: Why the hell ? were they related to each other?

this is so annoying hehe but still I like my name ^^

bwena87

Post by bwena87 » Sep 25th, '05, 16:27

hahahaha!!
i alwayz get if u marry a Nguyen u wouldnt have to waste money getting your name changed! :lol

IceThy

Post by IceThy » Sep 25th, '05, 16:40

yes that's true ^^ but I think I could never give up my surname... since I went through that much hardships with it!! XD So the man I'll marry one day MUST be a Nguyen ... if no... Then I'll just keep my name for sure :P

bwena did u ever watch a dubbed kdrama with just ONE dubbing Speaker? XD
One for all persons in the drama... for men and women... lol I luv the viets they really have cool ideas when it comes to save money.... :D

ThangDiengXD

Post by ThangDiengXD » Sep 25th, '05, 16:40

errr im a nguyen!:P

how come there are somany nguyen o.O sum guy must have done it allot ages ago?!

bwena87

Post by bwena87 » Sep 25th, '05, 16:48

ice thy!! Yes i have watch Kdrama with one speaker!! LMAO it was the most funniest thing i ever heard!! i was soo happy to download stairway to heaven... however wen i heard that lady speak i was like :crazy: MEn, women, KIDS! all young and old it was ONE LADY...... now talking about CRAZY and i find it hilarious dat people in VIETnam actually watch it like dat!!!!!! :lol i couldnt carrying on watching it so i stopped after 5mins!!

save money!!! LMAO hauhahahaha if i had to watch a drama with one voice dubbed i'll CRY in the first 2mins!! :lol

wachi

Post by wachi » Sep 25th, '05, 16:50

bwena87 wrote:hahahaha!!
i alwayz get if u marry a Nguyen u wouldnt have to waste money getting your name changed! :lol
I don't think Viet people take their husband's last name when they get married. My mum still keep her maiden name.

I have heard of ONE Viet dubber throughout a whole movie before. I think it must be like centuries ago. I heard it from a Stephen Chow movie. A female voiceover would dubbed everyone's voices. XD

Is it me? Or everyone should know Stephen Chow? He's like mega-famous among us Viet folks.

So we all know your surname.. anyone wanna share your first name?

Mine is tyical.. no wonder I keep getting mixup with everyone else.. it's Tha?o.

Xnite

Post by Xnite » Sep 25th, '05, 21:55

My last name is BUI. Yeah and that names rocks!!! Whenever they call row i'm always first and if there's a sitting chart i always get the seats in front of the class. So many benefits for having last name so close to the top on the alphabet. But yeah my mom kept her last name Nguyen. I guess she didn't want to go through all that trouble.

Ohsu

Post by Ohsu » Sep 26th, '05, 05:12

Viet here too...

SwtVi3tGurl

Post by SwtVi3tGurl » Sep 26th, '05, 21:18

bwena87 wrote:How many people here have the surname NGUYEN???? OMg wen u look in our phone book there are like 10 pages delicated to the surname NGUYEN!!!

OMG i have like 15 nguyens at my school...XD...but im only related to like 9 of them....the rest i dont know them...hehe^^ im a nguyen too.... :unsure:

yup they can never...NEVER pronounce it right unless they are viet...XD

i watch tvb too...im watching two series right now...XD and lover's in paris thats dubbed ahaha im so slow....case these came out a while ago...^^;;

IceThy

Post by IceThy » Sep 26th, '05, 22:33

I also do know a lot of viets who can't even pronounce the word...

wachi

Post by wachi » Sep 26th, '05, 22:39

So we're still on the last name basis? C'mon, I shared my first name.. you guys can't be shy or anything right?

K.T.Tran

Post by K.T.Tran » Sep 26th, '05, 22:41

Me Vietnamese :mrgreen:

I don't think we Trans are as popular as you Nguyens. More Nguyens then Trans at every school I went to :O

I can't write or read Vietnamese, my parents didn't teach me nor did they send me to Viet school :lol

I gotta question. I heard from a vietnamese badminton player at my High School couple years back that "All vietnamese people are related to one another" is this true???? -___-

@wachi: I would share it, if i knew how to spell it....Trieu Duong.....Doung???? :unsure:

wachi

Post by wachi » Sep 26th, '05, 22:50

Who knows really.. I mean how far can we trace our family history, but I don't think we ALL related to each other.

XD How can you not know how to spell your name? I think TRANS.. I thought you spelt transexual.. which is weird.. but anyway, just as popular as the NGUYENs. So are Le, I think.

IceThy

Post by IceThy » Sep 26th, '05, 23:55

lol I never met someone who couldn't spell his own name XD

lol and I never heard of such a story that we are all related to each other... I think he might have said that because we call each other anh, em and everyone is a chu or a co or a bac or a ong or a ba.
That's why people who don't know might think that everyone seems to be related to each other....
lol how can a whole nation be related to each other? this is so stupid XD

I just didn't get it wachi sorry.... my names thy as u can imagine by lookin at my nick.

Kim Thy Nguyen nice name huh? ^^
I heard there are lots of viets in the US who have got english names.... I was just asking myself... why?

lilvtstryder

Post by lilvtstryder » Sep 26th, '05, 23:59

well its true alot of viet people around here have english names

mangosteen
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by mangosteen » Sep 27th, '05, 00:22

IceThy wrote:yes that's true ^^ but I think I could never give up my surname... since I went through that much hardships with it!! XD So the man I'll marry one day MUST be a Nguyen ... if no... Then I'll just keep my name for sure :P

bwena did u ever watch a dubbed kdrama with just ONE dubbing Speaker? XD
One for all persons in the drama... for men and women... lol I luv the viets they really have cool ideas when it comes to save money.... :D
Well, I don't think they do it to save money. Actually before individual-dubbing method appeared, one-dubbing-speaker method had already there and was called "thuyet minh". If you come back to VN and turn on the TV to watch foreign dramas nowadays, you still hear "thuyet minh". Some old people prefer this to the individual dubbing method.

kali4niaguy

Post by kali4niaguy » Sep 27th, '05, 00:25

does hanging around with mostly Vietnamese friends and being able to cuss in Vietnamese count as being Viet??? :mrgreen:

wachi

Post by wachi » Sep 27th, '05, 00:48

^ No.

Most of us have English names because it's easier for people to call us when they can't pronounce or remember our names. Which is sad. I keep being called TAO.. they always left of the silent H.

K.T.Tran

Post by K.T.Tran » Sep 27th, '05, 01:24

@wachi: Simple......I don't spell my Vietnamese name enough -___-

@IceThy: You have now met someone who doesn't know how to spell his own Vietnamese name :lol Yea, every Vietnamese person being related to each other did sound stupid to me at the time I heard it :lol

I'll be able to spell and remember it sooner or later :D

SwtVi3tGurl

Post by SwtVi3tGurl » Sep 27th, '05, 01:34

lol yea..my name is trang nguyen...and english name is trish...although my name is easy...some people still suk...^^;;...hmm i thought i told my name...XD

yea i've heard of the stories...but thats err...like impossible...XD

i know some Le and Tran...i heard of a few Pham too :unsure:

bwena87

Post by bwena87 » Sep 27th, '05, 05:02

my viet name is Phuong Ngoc.... but no one never calls me that i think most of my family members dont even know that name!! i probably wont answer anywayz :lol my english name is Brena (pronounced Bren-na) apparently there was a mistake on my birth certificate so my name was changed to Brena.... :glare:

yeah i knoe nguyen, tran, le, pham, duong, huynh & lam!! :D

chunu

Post by chunu » Sep 27th, '05, 05:14

I think the 2 most common names in viet are:

Nguyen......N.......Huong.....rite guys? :-)

vtt

Hi

Post by vtt » Sep 27th, '05, 05:16

Another Viet here in Calgary, Alberta.

Chào các bạn đồng hương.

K.T.Tran

Re: Hi

Post by K.T.Tran » Sep 27th, '05, 05:42

vtt wrote:Another Viet here in Calgary, Alberta.

Chào các bạn đồng hương.
Yo :mrgreen:
Amazing how many Vietnamese are here at D-addicts :O
I guess i find it amazing since I'm not a very active membe here....

ummm......I can't read all that :cry:
something about saying Hello everyone???

hmm.....Calgary, Alberta.....I'll have to google that to find out where it is :lol

Su

Post by Su » Sep 27th, '05, 07:09

My name is Bùi Thanh Tâm :-D

wachi

Post by wachi » Sep 27th, '05, 16:49

^ Nice name, Su. And yeah, I got your mail, I'll reup those two soon. xD

Oh yeah, forgot about the PHAMs, I know a lot. I also know like 3 girls with the same first & last name as me. Kinda weird, since we all go to the same school. One with different middle names, one with the EXACT same first, middle and last. Everyone thought we were twins.. bakas!

Most Viet people have generic English names. I swear 9 out of 10 Viet boys called themselves Tommy & Cindy for the girls. I know some of you make fun of the name Tommy.. by saying To^ Mi` instead.. or shrimp or something.. haha.

Mine is exceptionally different. ZOE XD

Su

Post by Su » Sep 27th, '05, 17:07

Thank you, Zoe :-)

SwtVi3tGurl

Post by SwtVi3tGurl » Sep 28th, '05, 04:14

wachi wrote:^ Nice name, Su. And yeah, I got your mail, I'll reup those two soon. xD

Oh yeah, forgot about the PHAMs, I know a lot. I also know like 3 girls with the same first & last name as me. Kinda weird, since we all go to the same school. One with different middle names, one with the EXACT same first, middle and last. Everyone thought we were twins.. bakas!

Most Viet people have generic English names. I swear 9 out of 10 Viet boys called themselves Tommy & Cindy for the girls. I know some of you make fun of the name Tommy.. by saying To^ Mi` instead.. or shrimp or something.. haha.

Mine is exceptionally different. ZOE XD
ahaha true.. i have a brother named tommy and the viet people pronounce it as a bowl of shrimp noodles..XD and my sister is named cindy...XD

hinako442003
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by hinako442003 » Sep 28th, '05, 04:24

wachi wrote:^ No.

Most of us have English names because it's easier for people to call us when they can't pronounce or remember our names. Which is sad. I keep being called TAO.. they always left of the silent H.
me too... this guy tried to say my name, and he's like, "it's like cow, but with a T"
and i'm like :glare: and you can't believe how many times I hear my name in my classes.
"Tau (greek letter T) is a dummy variable..." in math and DSP class
"Tau (torque) is equal to..." in physics and the likes :crazy:

I'm not a Nguyen, a Tran, a Le, or a Pham... haha I love my last name.

K.T.Tran

Post by K.T.Tran » Sep 28th, '05, 05:25

Hinako442003 wrote: I'm not a Nguyen, a Tran, a Le, or a Pham... haha I love my last name.
You got a rare last name then??? :mrgreen:

@wachi: Is thomas and cindy really the most popular english name vietnamese guys and girls use???

wachi

Post by wachi » Sep 28th, '05, 16:21

^ Not Thomas per say, just Tommy. Thomas is too formal for them. But yeah, most people I know use the name Tommy & Cindy.

Imagine a room full of Viet people, when someone called out, Hey, Tommy. At least 5 guys went ..YEAH?!

True story. :lol

nezumi

Post by nezumi » Sep 29th, '05, 11:30

Hinako442003 wrote: I'm not a Nguyen, a Tran, a Le, or a Pham... haha I love my last name.
snap...im not a nguyen, tran ,le or pham either.

its even hard to tell im viet from my name and appearance. my football team seem to think im japanese and most other asians mistake me for korean :sweat:

yaokian

Post by yaokian » Sep 30th, '05, 02:03

Yay! A Vietnamese Community on d-addicts! Hi everyone!!

jonnses

Post by jonnses » Sep 30th, '05, 09:03

Hey I'm Vietnamese too.

jane

Post by jane » Sep 30th, '05, 09:10

mangosteen wrote:Wow, so many Viet people here. I'm glad to know everyone of you ;)
Jane, I think a majority of Vietnamese students want to study abroad and then find a good job because in Vietnam, even when you have a degree, you are still more likely to be unemployed. If you're lucky enough to get a job, the wage for every month is just about 200 USD. Can you continue life like that?
IceThy wrote:@Jane I agree with mangosteen, i think the most people who relocate and start a new life in a western country want to earn some money or at least get out of poverty.
The most Vietnamese people I know share the same opinion. They prefer living in Vietnam but without money there's no way to to lead a high standard life.

I know about this situation. And I really don't dislike these people.
But why is VN getting in that poverty?
Compare North and South Korea or look at the past West and East Germany or Udssr and USA.

hinako442003
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by hinako442003 » Sep 30th, '05, 15:35

jane wrote: I know about this situation. And I really don't dislike these people.
But why is VN getting in that poverty?
Compare North and South Korea or look at the past West and East Germany or Udssr and USA.
We all know why... some of us are in denial tho' :roll I mean, if you were raised in VN, you will have pride about your country and government, and it's hard to accept bad things being said about the system. I would so argue my throat out back in the days

nezumi wrote: its even hard to tell im viet from my name and appearance. my football team seem to think im japanese and most other asians mistake me for korean
yeah, ppl go all the way around the world before they get to "Vietnamese" for me too. Which is strange, cuz I look Viet!

wachi

Post by wachi » Oct 1st, '05, 12:10

Almost everyone thinks all Asian look alike, so it's not a surprise they can't tell us apart. We can't either, sometimes. I get mistaken as Chinese and sometimes Japanese. Korean is quite easy to identify. I dunno why.

esmink

Post by esmink » Oct 2nd, '05, 12:23

Hello!

Im nguoi tieu, but I can speak and understand vienamese. My parents are born in vietnam and we live now in Sweden (Im born here in Sweden). At home we speak tieu, with friends I speak cantonese and vietnamese. I have also learn japanese and mandarin.Do we have any vietnamese-tieu here? :)

usyagitntn

Post by usyagitntn » Oct 3rd, '05, 23:18

Hi I'm so glad to find a Viet community here :). Hi everyone, can anyone tell me what we are talking about or are we just disscussing random stuffs ?

K.T.Tran

Post by K.T.Tran » Oct 4th, '05, 03:49

usyagitntn wrote:Hi I'm so glad to find a Viet community here :). Hi everyone, can anyone tell me what we are talking about or are we just disscussing random stuffs ?
Hi, welcome :mrgreen:
I kinda find some of the talk to be a bit random, but funny :lol
Wachi mentioned how there is a popular English name that Vietnamese boys and girls get and then there was talk about how we Vietnamese people get confused for being other types of Asians :roll

Summer*

Post by Summer* » Oct 4th, '05, 04:11

:D wow .. hi everyone ... i'm viet 222. .. and kinda of new around here :unsure:

Summer*

Post by Summer* » Oct 4th, '05, 04:14

esmink wrote:Hello!

Im nguoi tieu, but I can speak and understand vienamese. My parents are born in vietnam and we live now in Sweden (Im born here in Sweden). At home we speak tieu, with friends I speak cantonese and vietnamese. I have also learn japanese and mandarin.Do we have any vietnamese-tieu here? :)
wow that's so great... i wish i know how to speak chinese --- both my grandparents were chinese -- but our family don't speak a word of it except my uncle in taiwain.. :cry: kinda sucks ..

theGreat0ne

Post by theGreat0ne » Oct 4th, '05, 06:22

im a white washed viet... barely speak or understand viet... cant even read/write in viet... parents tried to force me to go to temple on sundays. i couldnt handle the classes, too boring. i fall asleep everytime.

but im trying to get back to my roots. i started by eating NOTHING but viet food. most of it is pretty good. but, some of the restaraunts serve some WEIRD food :blink . the viet classes aint really helping too. i fall alseep way too fast in class. :lol :lol

Vietnamese American

aznkoz

Post by aznkoz » Oct 4th, '05, 06:43

Hehe, I was gonna post a load of crap about those 2 guyz talking Patriotic and Traitor stuff ^^, I hate both of them, to tell the truth lolz :P . I rather be an independent Viet just like everyone else :) .
Anyway, I want to ask if any of you could read chinese cuz I need someone who can translate for me or at least trade chinese series ^^ .

Summer*

Post by Summer* » Oct 4th, '05, 16:54

theGreat0ne wrote:im a white washed viet... barely speak or understand viet... cant even read/write in viet... parents tried to force me to go to temple on sundays. i couldnt handle the classes, too boring. i fall asleep everytime.

but im trying to get back to my roots. i started by eating NOTHING but viet food. most of it is pretty good. but, some of the restaraunts serve some WEIRD food :blink . the viet classes aint really helping too. i fall alseep way too fast in class. :lol :lol

Vietnamese American
all 222 bad that u don't speak viet. ..

but i think it's better if you have a friend that speaks viet than going into class. .. waste of time n 222 boring ... :P

wachi

Post by wachi » Oct 4th, '05, 17:15

My parents are making me attend Sunday school. Err.. no way. Anyone here who's Catholic? We have a large Viet Catholic community here and we have our Vietnamese church that even people who aren't Catholic attend. XD

SwtVi3tGurl

Post by SwtVi3tGurl » Oct 4th, '05, 19:28

i used to attend them...but them i dont go anymore...cuase we do nothing in that class...XDD

theGreat0ne

Post by theGreat0ne » Oct 4th, '05, 20:43

SwtVi3tGurl wrote:i used to attend them...but them i dont go anymore...cuase we do nothing in that class...XDD
well in temple they do TRY to teach you and all but its too boring... and then no one really pays attention...

Summer*

Post by Summer* » Oct 4th, '05, 23:24

i'm lucky that i don't have to go to temple :P :roll

bwena87

Post by bwena87 » Oct 5th, '05, 02:42

temple?? huahahaha i remember how my mum would make me go but i alway refuse coz i thought back then they give naughty kids smacks....... i was told i was going to get smack so i alway avoided it. :lol since then my mum has given up XD
why arent u posting up pictures?? :lol come on!!! i'll post mine up first okieS!! u vietnamit have 2 too!!!!

like my foto?? my friends and i are all viets in this foto!!
Attachments
vietnamit~
vietnamit~
Photo-0020.JPG (27.42 KiB) Viewed 6112 times

mikomi

Post by mikomi » Oct 5th, '05, 15:56

wachi wrote:My parents are making me attend Sunday school. Err.. no way. Anyone here who's Catholic? We have a large Viet Catholic community here and we have our Vietnamese church that even people who aren't Catholic attend. XD
The catholic church here where I live is pretty huuuge and there are lots of people attending the ceremony. There are guys who go to church just to stalk after pretty girls and the church is like a hangout place, lol. Most of my friends are Catholics too, but I'm a Protestant and it's sad because there aren't many youths in my church, but we are getting more people attending the church each week, which is cool.

I don't think joining a Vietnamese language class will help you much if you don't seriously want to learn it. The best way to learn Vietnamese, imo, is to watch TVB or Viet dubbed dramas. Seriously, my cousin improved his speaking/listening skills drastically by watching wuxia dramas. And it's funny because he now starts to talk just like the people in those dramas. When he wants to say 'goodbye', rather than just say ba'i bai like most people do, he'd say "Từ biệt", and then he'd say huynh muội, lol. It's funny XD

bwena87: Nice picture, but where are you in that pic? :)

Summer*

Post by Summer* » Oct 5th, '05, 16:04

word "Từ biệt" is not right when u say it to your friends .. :lol

it's "tam biet"

yeah watch viet movies and go to viet forums really help
b4 i improve my writing skills by going there ..

bwena87

Post by bwena87 » Oct 5th, '05, 16:22

*mikomi...... im the one on the right!! yeah i knoe i look feral :lol

the only thing i know to write in vietnamese is du ma (no offense) :lol and i usually sound out the words and people usually laugh at me coz i something totally different or wotever i say isnt even a word! XD

so whatever you guys wrote in you post... if its in viet i wont have a clue wot your saying!!! huahaha XD

soo do any of you go on friendster??? :D

theGreat0ne

Post by theGreat0ne » Oct 5th, '05, 19:14

haha... i tried doing watching the dubbed series... it didnt work. everytime they start lecturing, i get totally lost. i cant understand a single word. they use like some new kind of viet or something. haha...

^ i agree about guys going to church to see girls. my friends do that ALL the time. its the only reason why they go. sleep in the during the mass and then when then they stay outside checking out girls. :glare: .

i have to admit i would do that too if i go to church. :D :D

NanhTrang

Post by NanhTrang » Oct 6th, '05, 06:34

Has anyone watched the korean movie "Hanoi bride" ?? There are lots of vietnamese sightseeings in that movie !!!

Summer*

Post by Summer* » Oct 6th, '05, 15:58

"Ha Noi Bride", i only heard of "Ha Noi Bridge"
am i wrong or is that new ?

jane

Post by jane » Oct 6th, '05, 18:00

NanhTrang wrote:Has anyone watched the korean movie "Hanoi bride" ?? There are lots of vietnamese sightseeings in that movie !!!
Ben VN da dich bo phim do roi? Ban da coi chua?

kana

Viet community

Post by kana » Oct 6th, '05, 19:10

Good shout Amrayu...Count me on too...Hi every one....!

esmink

Post by esmink » Oct 6th, '05, 20:21

Summer* wrote:
esmink wrote:Hello!

wow that's so great... i wish i know how to speak chinese --- both my grandparents were chinese -- but our family don't speak a word of it except my uncle in taiwain.. :cry: kinda sucks ..
what kind of language do you speak then?

mangosteen
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by mangosteen » Oct 6th, '05, 20:36

It's so funny to say "Tu biet" and "Huynh, Muoi" ;) I don't think it's a good way to learn Vietnamese from dubbed dramas because in Viet dubbed series, their Vietnamese is very weird. Some we don't even use in everyday life. The accent is the most funny thing. I think they're like Chinese speaking Vietnamese. Although I can understand, it still sounds funny. Joining a Vietnamese forum is a good opportunity to learn Vietnamese, but many of the forums are bad.

amrayu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by amrayu » Oct 6th, '05, 20:46

I'm a Nguyen. :O
Some guy at work keeps using my last name as my first name... it's so irritating... :|

Happy to see that this thread is bringing the Viet community together. This is how it should be! :-)

xbtcmdx

Post by xbtcmdx » Oct 6th, '05, 21:12

ahhaahha hi every1, didnt noe theres a viet community here in d-addicts lolz
im 100% FOB just came here 3 years ago
nice to meet every1

tran05

Post by tran05 » Oct 6th, '05, 22:18

mangosteen wrote:It's so funny to say "Tu biet" and "Huynh, Muoi" ;) I don't think it's a good way to learn Vietnamese from dubbed dramas because in Viet dubbed series, their Vietnamese is very weird. Some we don't even use in everyday life. The accent is the most funny thing. I think they're like Chinese speaking Vietnamese. Although I can understand, it still sounds funny. Joining a Vietnamese forum is a good opportunity to learn Vietnamese, but many of the forums are bad.
I agree with you about Viet dubbed Vietnamese. It irritates me so much listening to 'Viet Thao' and some other Chinese speaking Vietnamese voice in all series. The way Viet Thao speaks make me feel the male lead has a bad attitude and that make the drama not interesting. Sometime I don't even understand what they say.

usyagitntn

Post by usyagitntn » Oct 6th, '05, 22:23

I agree that It's pretty hard to speak Vietnamese just by watching drama, the word they use not always accurate so sometimes if you speak like in the dubbed drama, you'll sound really funny. I think the best way to learn Vietnamese is to have someone to talk to you in Vietnamese everyday. :lol

bwena87

Post by bwena87 » Oct 7th, '05, 08:12

amrayu wrote:

I'm a Nguyen. :O
Some guy at work keeps using my last name as my first name... it's so irritating... :|

Happy to see that this thread is bringing the Viet community together. This is how it should be! :-)

hahahaha.... a person at work call you Nguyen!?! hahahahaha :lol people would call up my house asking to speak to Nguyen..... and we would be like ummm there is like 6 here who which one are you after? :P its very irritating! but funny :lol why dont u tell him off!! hahaha or call him by his last name!! :D poor u!!

vietnameze pryde 4 lyfe! :lol hahahaahhaa