Dramas about a teacher and his class...

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
noura

Dramas about a teacher and his class...

Post by noura » Sep 29th, '05, 21:48

I was really surprised at how many jdramas there are that involve a teacher that helps his students with there studys and social life..I noticed dramas and they are:
- GTO (the most famous one, I only watched the anime and read the manga but I definitly will watch the drama someday :P )
- Gokusen (this one is really funny)
- Yankee Bokou ni Kaeru (I don't think most of you know about,and I just recently read about it)
- Dragon Zakura (new and didn't watch it)
- Joou no Kyoushitsu (also this one is new.read alot of good comment about)
That's all what I know,if there are more ,please tell us..and as you can see I only watched Gokusen..If someone will be kind to tell us if there are any similarities between these dramas and which do you favour!!

groink

Re: Dramas about a teacher and his class...

Post by groink » Sep 29th, '05, 21:54

Kinpachi Sensei

--- groink

K.T.Tran

Post by K.T.Tran » Sep 29th, '05, 22:14

As groink mentioned, Kinpachi Sensei.

I've watched half of the Kinpachi Sensei with Ueto Aya in it and I see a lot of similarity between how Kinpachi Sensei is compared to that of GTO.

GTO came out in the late 1990s couple years after i don't know which Kinpachi Sensei, but I think GTO got some of its idea from Kinpachi Sensei *correct me here if I'm wrong, this is just what I think*

Gokusen is very very similar to GTO, only difference, Female teacher. If you like Gokusen, give GTO a try, and see how you'll like it. I think you'll like GTO :mrgreen:

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Sep 29th, '05, 22:36

Another recent one was Medaka.
This one is a bit different in that the "high school students" are actually a mix of older adults and HS dropouts/delinquents who are trying to complete their HS equivalency through night school. At first, the teacher isn't all that passionate about teaching either, so in this series there's a nice bit of development on both the students' and teacher's sides. I really liked this series (and the fact that Spitz's Masayume was the theme didn't hurt none either :p), but I haven't heard many other ppl talk about it...

xiaryx
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by xiaryx » Sep 30th, '05, 15:32

kinpachi sensei is more similar to Joou no Kyoushitsu than GTO I think. How about forbidden love, koukou kyoushi I and II? :P

noura

Post by noura » Sep 30th, '05, 17:53

[quote] How about forbidden love, koukou kyoushi I and II? [/quote]
I think these three are more of a love story than the relationship between the teacher and all his students.. I only watched the first episode of forbidden love and didn't like it much..and I really wanted to watch Koukou kyoushi 2003 but I got stuck for along time 'couse lack of seeders..
I want to know if any had watched Yankee or Dragon Zakura and could tell us what does he/she think of it and how can he/she compare them..

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Sep 30th, '05, 18:28

I haven't seen it in awhile, but from what I remember, Yankee is very similar to GTO in terms of plotlines and social issues -- only without all the slapstick and comedy. You've got a former delinquent becoming a teacher at his alma mater, a school located in the backwoods of Hokkaido which is a place of last resort for the worst "problem" students in the country. It's much more realistic than GTO, particularly in acknowledging that trust is fragile and isn't something that can be won by a single act. In addition, there are some additional character motivations for the teachers who work at such a school. The drama is based on a real high school in Hokkaido, and I believe the storylines were adapted from a variety of actual events.

Dragonzakura....haven't really seen much of this, so I can't comment too much on it.

xiaryx
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by xiaryx » Sep 30th, '05, 19:07

havnt seen yankee but just finished dragon zakura. It is about a teacher trying to get a group of "baka" students into todai (tokyo U). It is a bit more serious than GTO and involve a little more teaching, but still not as much as Kinpachi sensei. They also try to introduce humor using techniques alot similar to GTO and Gokusen. In summary, it is some what similar to GTO and gokusen.

noura

Post by noura » Oct 2nd, '05, 18:10

Oh! thanks alot for the info..I wish Yankee had subbs...I hope someone subbs it or at least do soft subbs for it... I don't know why but I have the feeling that it's a great drama..
Thanks anyway for the info.

Dorobou

Post by Dorobou » Oct 2nd, '05, 19:10

noura wrote:Oh! thanks alot for the info..I wish Yankee had subbs...I hope someone subbs it or at least do soft subbs for it... I don't know why but I have the feeling that it's a great drama..
Thanks anyway for the info.
I think there is someone doing softsubs for yankee, and have released the 1st ep softsubbed already.

As for other dramas alike, I think Sensei Shiranaino is about a teacher and his class, though the students here are kids, kinda like the kids in Joou, though the two dramas are so much different, it's like the opposite. Joou was better though. :-)

poch05

Post by poch05 » Oct 3rd, '05, 04:07

Gakkou no Sensei is another one of the Teacher-Student drama....i guess this is like Sensei Shiranaino

Toritorisan

Post by Toritorisan » Oct 3rd, '05, 05:38

Another one was "Naomi," kinda the female version of GTO. I thought it was pretty good.

hinoai

Post by hinoai » Oct 4th, '05, 13:19

I recently saw a play here in Tokyo, and they referenced several recent dramas (including Densha Otoko), but I didn't understand one of the references. My frriend said that it was based on a relatively recent drama about a woman teacher who is VERY strict with her students, but she didn't remember the name.

Does anyone have any idea whichi dorama this might have been? I'm eager to see it, because I just didn't understand the jokes that they were playing. O.o

owllo

Post by owllo » Oct 4th, '05, 13:31

hinoai wrote:My frriend said that it was based on a relatively recent drama about a woman teacher who is VERY strict with her students, but she didn't remember the name.

O.o
I think the drama is "Joou no Kyoushitsu". It's the latest drama coming this summer. Just finished watching, think it's the best drama this summer. Totally different from all the "School" dramas I have watched before!

hinoai

Post by hinoai » Oct 5th, '05, 22:34

Thank you!! ^-^

I'll look it up and give it a try! =D

nikoru

Another high school Drama:

Post by nikoru » Oct 7th, '05, 16:49

Hi,
There is another school drama that was EXCELLENT from back in the day. (But not as old as the original Kinpachi Sensei).

It aired on FujiTV in the early 90's and that famous actress from Kobe, Yoko something played the teacher. In her problematic class there were many actors and actresses that became very famous. (For example Nakai Masahiro from SMAP played the class clown: he was the first member of SMAP to branch out into acting. You wouldn't believe it with Kimura Takuya around!) Anyway I think it was called 'Gakkou e Ikkou'.... I loved it!

And another high school drama that wasn't focussed on school... Maaa~n I can't remember what its called but the basic story is: A boy and a girl who go to same school but never met, probably never noticed each other until unfortunate events take place. On a stormy night they are both running in the streets to get out of the rain or something and bang into each other round the corner. Unfortunately lightening strikes as the collide leading to their souls entering each others bodies. **** hits ths fan, one is a lacrosse playing rich girl and the other from the wrong side of the tracks. I was addicted to this drama. I think the actress was Mizuki Arisa and actor is that ishida... Definitely worth watching if you can get hands on.

Also another drama either called 16 or 17 :P. Also wicked one to watch! Rich cast.

myke

Post by myke » Nov 28th, '05, 06:15

Hai..
the GTO is very best series..the hero is (male)
also the GOKUSEN..(hero) is (female )
yes..
GTO is good than GOKUSEN..
but GOKUSEN is also best.
what about "Kyoshi Bin Bin" it also about teacher and student. but i can't remember the story. it a old story.. The teacher in the 'Kyoshi Bin BIn " is called Tokogawa sensei..

-currently downloading the Dragon Zakura, 1 Litre of Tears,

2triky

Post by 2triky » Nov 28th, '05, 06:18

watch koukou kyoushi 2003...it's dark...it's fugged up, it's original, it's atypical....quite frankly i think the the whole teacher student plot is more tired than a michael jackson child molestation allegation but koukou kyoushi 2003 had some good acting by aya ueto and sonim.

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » Nov 28th, '05, 23:36

Gokusen is always my favoyurite , ayayay :D

Ps : i've reupload whole of Gokusen Season 2 on my CB !! check it out if you dun't see it yet !!

http://box2.clubbox.co.kr:8037/app/list ... lindCheck=

monik991

Post by monik991 » Aug 3rd, '06, 03:36

I watched only Gokusen and Dragon sakura/Dragonzakura

Gokusen 1 was really funny and enjoyable, but sometimes I felt embarrased for Yankumi, even though she seemed to be enjoying herself. After a while, the episodes got repetitive...

Gokusen 2... was like GOkusen 1

Never watched GTO, but now I'm really interested.

But I really like Dragonzakura, it focuses on the whole class (w/c is 6 ppl. lol). I think one of the only differences is that Sakuragi-sensei is doing this for the money and fame instead of his "desire to teach", but there is Ino-Sensei who has that "desire to teach"

life_in_the_east

Post by life_in_the_east » Aug 4th, '06, 02:50

high school dramas are the best...lol

i saw gokusen 1 and 2, gto, and dragon zakura...(hey..they're all based on mangas)

i have to admit that the storyline for all these dramas are pretty much the same...bad ass but cool teachers and bad students gone good.....but dang, it never gets old.

i almost cried after the last eps for each of these dramas...good stuff...

but what should i watch now? haha..

ilot

Post by ilot » Aug 4th, '06, 03:12

dont forget about Gachi Baka. :-) . Eventhough it's not very popular and the rating for this series also not that high.

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Aug 4th, '06, 04:11

I'm currently watching the 1993 version and it's CRAZY! It's much better and crazier than the 2003 version. Definitely the wackiest drama I'd ever seen. 2003 is the 2nd craziest...use to be the craziest.

I really love "Joou no Kyoushitsu"...that's my fave...(teehee)....hehe.
2triky wrote:watch koukou kyoushi 2003...it's dark...it's fugged up, it's original, it's atypical....quite frankly i think the the whole teacher student plot is more tired than a michael jackson child molestation allegation but koukou kyoushi 2003 had some good acting by aya ueto and sonim.

tenuki

Post by tenuki » Aug 6th, '06, 04:17

Does anyone know the name of the one where the teacher ended up teaching because he was trying to escape fraud charges and he ended up coaching basketball?

GTO was good. Gokusen 1 was good. Gokusen 2 was an embarrassment. Queen's classroom was excellent.

BOGCHI

Post by BOGCHI » Aug 6th, '06, 06:51

queen's classroom must be really good.. gotta check that out!

banzaiboi

Post by banzaiboi » Aug 6th, '06, 06:53

i love GTO.

sakura_rin

Post by sakura_rin » Aug 9th, '06, 18:20

Gokusen 2 is my favorite. :-)
Kazuya, Akanishi and Koike :wub: .

life_in_the_east

Post by life_in_the_east » Aug 11th, '06, 05:21

i want to watch yankee bokou ni kaeru, but the torrents on d-addicts don't have any seeders...argh...

can someone tell me where i can download it or can someone just reseed...? lol

thanks in advance

oceansportrait

Joou no Kyoushitsu

Post by oceansportrait » Aug 14th, '06, 05:52

Joou no Kyoushitsu was by far the best drama of its season. The first episode was fantastic at setting the mood for future episodes (although I still don't understand what the butterflies flying around are supposed to signify. Is that her trademark?). But because the teacher was so strict in the drama, it sparked so much controversy that alot of sponsors decided to pull out mid-way through the series. I think that affected how the story ended because the first 7-8 episodes stayed consistent in mood, but there was a drastic change in the latter half. I don't know if the directors were planning on switching the tone before all the controversy arose, but it didn't really seem to fit with the first few episodes.

SnWa

Re: Joou no Kyoushitsu

Post by SnWa » Aug 16th, '06, 01:29

oceansportrait wrote:Joou no Kyoushitsu was by far the best drama of its season. The first episode was fantastic at setting the mood for future episodes (although I still don't understand what the butterflies flying around are supposed to signify. Is that her trademark?). But because the teacher was so strict in the drama, it sparked so much controversy that alot of sponsors decided to pull out mid-way through the series. I think that affected how the story ended because the first 7-8 episodes stayed consistent in mood, but there was a drastic change in the latter half. I don't know if the directors were planning on switching the tone before all the controversy arose, but it didn't really seem to fit with the first few episodes.
I've wondered about the butterfly too. I took it to represent the hidden Maya. There is one shot where the butterfly flies up into the sky and from effects of lighting, the white wings appear black. I don't know if that was intentional, but for me, it captured how Maya could have different appearances depending on how she was viewed. Because of these sort of clues, I believe the directors had always intended to progress Maya's character in the direction taken. (Others my not agree of course.)

yasuisora

Gakkoou no Sensei - where to find it?

Post by yasuisora » Apr 12th, '07, 19:54

poch05 wrote:Gakkou no Sensei is another one of the Teacher-Student drama....i guess this is like Sensei Shiranaino
Does anyone now where to find this drama? I have searched a lot but I cannot find any torrents. Help me please?

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Apr 16th, '07, 00:53

This is an awesome teacher classroom drama. Very different, but similar ideas.

http://silentregrets.com/completed-jdra ... letter.php

<3s-tei.

Post by <3s-tei. » Oct 1st, '08, 00:03

Would Cat Street fit into this category..? o.o

firstriker

Post by firstriker » Dec 22nd, '08, 17:00

also dun forget Seito Shokun!

When you talk about sensei drama, you should'nt miss drama Jyoou no Kyoushitsu..such dramatic,twisted plot n life altering drama..this is by far my fave sensei drama..
others like Dragonzakura n GTO still ok then

BlueIce84

Post by BlueIce84 » Dec 22nd, '08, 19:51

I just finished up "The Queen's Classroom" about a week ago and loved it! Although I haven't seen a lot of Jdramas, it's my favorite so far.
A lot of Maya's methods may have been extreme, but I have to say though, I didn't see anything wrong with her ranking the class based on grades. Some people might see that as wrong I guess, but I really don't. Each student was perfectly capable of bringing up their grade. So if they weren't happy being a representative, they could've studied harder. It's a great way to raise test scores, in my opinion.