[Discussion] S.O.S Strawberry on the Shortcake *Spoilers*

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
TNF
Fansubber
Fansubber

[Discussion] S.O.S Strawberry on the Shortcake *Spoilers*

Post by TNF » Oct 15th, '05, 23:14

*SPOILERS* LOTS OF SPOILERS. PLEASE DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED THIS ENTIRE SERIES YET*

Gosh I am in heaven. This series was just absolutely perfect!!! Well, other than the fact that manato and yui ended up together all of a sudden in the end, I still rate this a 9/10. When I say I'm in heaven, I mean I'm seeing jdramas in a whole new light. I used to think that it's just humor that I don't find funny at all....Ok to make a long story short I don't find comedy jdramas all that funny. But right after watching beautiful like, koukou jyoushi 2003, and now S.O.S., I'm starting to really appreciate japanese DRAMAS.

First of all, I'm disappointed with Fukada Kyoko's acting as usual, but the other 3 were just wonderful. Especially kobozuka yosuke...simpy charming :-) . I was very satisfied with the ending. I almost missed the 2 min. after the ending song (the scene where they were driving away manato and yui seemed like the end). I loved the way manata explained what he meant by "I will never forget you"... In Beautiful life kimutaku said something along the same lines, and so I thought yui would die like the girl in beautiful life. But this ending was much more satisfying. Even in the beginning of the series I thought something would happen btwn sawamura and yosuke (did he even have a name in the series? I only remember him as "senpai" :unsure: ), so the ending was so satisfying that they ended up together. Yosuke looked so happy in the postcard!! :lol That was like, his biggest smile in the entire series.

The characters were all very deep. After watching the above mentioned dramas, now I see what people mean by saying that jdramas are less repetitive than kdramas. Kdramas have all your typical characters, typical personalities (we all know what I'm talking about here), but jdramas' characters are all very unique. In just 10 episodes I feel like I have a good image of each of the character's personalities. So after watching this series, I've made up my mind to watching more japanese DRAMAS (not comedies--those are a waste of time really). As much as I love kdramas, I will be lessed biased against jdramas from now on just because the actors/actresses in it are typically less goodlooking than the people in kdramas :-)

But anyway, back to S.O.S. I would reccommend this drama, highly reccomend this drama to everyone who hasn't watched it yet..

One last thing....what was "senpai"'s name? ...did he even have a name?

amrayu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by amrayu » Oct 15th, '05, 23:25

You know I've never been able to finish this drama yet! I watched the first 9 episodes and haven't felt the need to watch the last episode. >_<

TNF
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by TNF » Oct 15th, '05, 23:26

amrayu wrote:You know I've never been able to finish this drama yet! I watched the first 9 episodes and haven't felt the need to watch the last episode. >_<
woah...I hope you didn't read the spoilers...maybe I should erase everything up there... :unsure:

but watch it (the ending), you won't be disappointed.

amrayu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by amrayu » Oct 15th, '05, 23:36

No don't worry, Junkboy already spoiled it for me. LOL. I really want to finish it, but hopefully I won't be disappointed.

cmge

Post by cmge » Oct 18th, '05, 06:10

i just finsihed watching all the eps and WOW... it was goood... wasnt senpai's name Tetsuya??... i really liked Uchiyama Rina... shes soo pretty and her acting was good.. the next jdorama on my list is Good Luck whihc also has Uchiyama Rina... :D
remember his speech???.. Tetsuya Saeki and well the in the postcard Manato was reading in the end... had T & H... Tetsuya & Haruka...
btw the spoiler tags work... :)

mikomi

Re: [Discussion] S.O.S Strawberry on the Shortcake *Spoilers

Post by mikomi » Oct 18th, '05, 14:58

tikleabubble wrote:

The characters were all very deep. After watching the above mentioned dramas, now I see what people mean by saying that jdramas are less repetitive than kdramas. Kdramas have all your typical characters, typical personalities (we all know what I'm talking about here), but jdramas' characters are all very unique. In just 10 episodes I feel like I have a good image of each of the character's personalities. So after watching this series, I've made up my mind to watching more japanese DRAMAS (not comedies--those are a waste of time really). As much as I love kdramas, I will be lessed biased against jdramas from now on just because the actors/actresses in it are typically less goodlooking than the people in kdramas :-)

tikleabubble, I'm really glad you said that, because that's exactly my thoughts. It took a while for me to get into Jdramas, but once I do, there's no turning back. You just have to watch the right drama to really appreciate it.

Okie, back to the drama, I personally don't like this drama as much, but Yosuke's character is definitely interesting. This drama is deep, but it didn't leave me feeling anything when I finished it. It's sorta dry; at some parts, it drags along slowly, which made me bored. But I must say, it is a well made dark drama, and it obviously isn't your normal typical teen drama. I need to rewatch it again soon.

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Oct 18th, '05, 15:31

mikomi wrote:
tikleabubble wrote:

tikleabubble, I'm really glad you said that, because that's exactly my thoughts. It took a while for me to get into Jdramas, but once I do, there's no turning back. You just have to watch the right drama to really appreciate it.

Okie, back to the drama, I personally don't like this drama as much, but Yosuke's character is definitely interesting. This drama is deep, but it didn't leave me feeling anything when I finished it. It's sorta dry; at some parts, it drags along slowly, which made me bored. But I must say, it is a well made dark drama, and it obviously isn't your normal typical teen drama. I need to rewatch it again soon.
this was true for me as well. I stumbled upon D-A looking for the K-drama Gumihowejun (the nine-tailed fox which i ended up downloading it from eMule) last summer. I ended up registering a few months later because I wanted to comment on many of the topics in the korean entertainment forum. Then, I decided to give jdrama a try and became hooked real fast.....even if my first thoughts were "ooh, the pictures aren't as clear....more drabbier and such" but the story lines were a real hooker. I was caught and became even more fascinated with the new faces (especially the males :lol). i actually watched my first jdramas (Itzura na Kiss) back in the summer of '99 on VHS. But that was the one and only so I really couldn't give feedback on my thoughts on jdrama until i really gave it a try.

as for S.O.S., I only continued to watch it for Takki and Kubozuka Yosuke-san :wub:

i was actually more interested in the supporting characters' relationship. and i felt really sorry for Uchiyama Rina's character :-(.
maybe i'm into taboo things, but i really liked Kubozuka-san's relationship with his teacher......... :pale:

cmge

Post by cmge » Oct 19th, '05, 01:41

lilswtangel wrote: i was actually more interested in the supporting characters' relationship. and i felt really sorry for Uchiyama Rina's character :-(.
maybe i'm into taboo things, but i really liked Kubozuka-san's relationship with his teacher......... :pale:
yeah same here i really wanted to c more of Sawamura actaully..
the teacher student relationship i can handle but the bro and sister thing... it took me a while... i know theyre not blood related and all but i thinks thats just too wierd???... or maybe its just me...

gunjourui
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gunjourui » Oct 19th, '05, 18:43

I watched this dorama quite a long time ago and I must say that I didn't like it all that much. Started watching because of Takki, Kubozuka and Uchiyama Rina and this was the only reason I actually finished it :P their acting was great!! specially Kubozuka :wub: oh and I won't comment Kyoko's acting skills coz I heard some of her fans are around :P

about the ending and the postcard: I was really satisfied with this ending hihi I knew it would happened after the scene when....
they were talking I don't really remember about what but Haruka said something like if you were the last guy in the world....
....I thought they are just too cute together :lol
lilswtangel wrote:
I likes it too!! I liked it because they acted great and I thought it was much more realistic than Hikaru & Michi relationship, for example

jica

Post by jica » Feb 25th, '06, 23:02

I'm watching it right now, and I must say it's slow.. Soooo slow. I just want to speed up the drama. I watched it because of Tackey, but his character in this drama is kind of pathetic, and Kyoko's character is REALLY annoying. I know she's gonna act a cheery, innocent(??) girl, but to me she's just annoying. Don't take me wrong, I usually like Kyoko, I think she's a good actress, but here.... aw....

But since I want to find out what's happening in the end I think I'll keep on watching. Maybe my opinions will change later on.

Rizu-Chan

Post by Rizu-Chan » Feb 26th, '06, 22:14

I actually really did not like this drama.
The only redeeming quality I found was ' Senpai''s acting.
It was so slow, and I wasn't into all the ' business' that was always being shown.
But that's just my opinion. ^_^

sesshu.kotoyumu

Post by sesshu.kotoyumu » Feb 26th, '06, 22:38

Ill have to look this up and get some more info on this series.

jica

Post by jica » Feb 27th, '06, 12:34

I'm putting this drama on hold for a while. Watching Boku dake no madonna instead. It's more interesting and Tackey's character here is a little bit better (not much, but better though....) ^^

ikadoodledoo

Post by ikadoodledoo » May 28th, '06, 09:55

Hi, i'm havinga hard tme lookign fo rthis drama... do you know where can I get the hardsubebd bitorrent fo this? I can't find it. I found a hardsubbed version on wahi's clubbox, but for this drama, I want to use torrents. PLEASE HELP! (I don't even know which fansub group did it.)

sabacat

Post by sabacat » May 28th, '06, 10:10

This was the second drama I ever watched, and I really really liked it!

My fave charas were Rina and Yosuke's... so I especially liked the ending... I was always curious about the post card though...
The way Tetsuya and Haruka's names were written on the return address...did that mean they got married? I hope so! They were perfect for each other!

And also...who was the teacher pregnant by? The icky guy from the Omiai? It wasn't Tetsuya's was it???? Ack! (I really disliked the teacher...I found her always so depressive and quite pathetic.

hkgirl

Post by hkgirl » Aug 21st, '06, 00:29

I'm really having a hard time liking this drama. Certain characters got on my nerves. Relationships that went through the whole show were just abandoned. It just felt like a mess. I really don't see why it is so popular.

Littleangel91356

Post by Littleangel91356 » Aug 21st, '06, 01:22

I gave up this drama at episode 3. Gosh fukakyon's character just really made me want to kill her. Takki IS pathetic too. Yeah, the only characters that were really watchable and ,moving was rina san's and yousuke san's character. I think they are good actors and made the character come alive.

I wonder, is it worth watching after episode 3? Maybe something will turn me on to continue watching.

nawidy
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by nawidy » Aug 21st, '06, 01:37

Littleangel91356 wrote:I gave up this drama at episode 3. Gosh fukakyon's character just really made me want to kill her. Takki IS pathetic too. Yeah, the only characters that were really watchable and ,moving was rina san's and yousuke san's character. I think they are good actors and made the character come alive.

I wonder, is it worth watching after episode 3? Maybe something will turn me on to continue watching.

Its worth watching, its been a while since I finished S.O.S. but I remember and feel good when I think of how it ended. So if you aren't watching any other JDRAMAS right now, you should definitely watch it, even if you are watching JDRAMAS I'd recommend you watch the rest.
Don't you agree? :argue:

hkgirl

Post by hkgirl » Aug 21st, '06, 12:02

Yes it was nice how it ended - that he finally got the girl but it really required you to seriously suspend your disbelief and dislike of Yui. Yui was just so self centred, she completely ruined one relationship and never ever showed any evidence of finding Manato attactive in a romantic sense. And we are supposed to accept she loves him after he confuses his feelings for her? Why the heck did we have to go through all that then? What was the point? At least with Sawamura and Saeki you could see signs that they liked each other. Maybe they should have been the main characters.

Littleangel91356

Post by Littleangel91356 » Aug 22nd, '06, 21:18

nawidy wrote:

Its worth watching, its been a while since I finished S.O.S. but I remember and feel good when I think of how it ended. So if you aren't watching any other JDRAMAS right now, you should definitely watch it, even if you are watching JDRAMAS I'd recommend you watch the rest.
Don't you agree? :argue:
I'm watching many jdramas right now but MAYBE I'll just watch it to not make any doubts of myself. But I felt like killing Yui every second she spoke her nonsense 'antics' of love. And yeah, she just did whatever she wanted.

...Maybe I'll just ignore that there's yui and just look for sawamura on every scene possible. That may make it better.

But yes, jdramas is nice, I miss the old dramas. I kinda really want to see Rosiante no Sainan...

<3s-tei.

Post by <3s-tei. » Aug 26th, '06, 16:12

It's been awhile since I last saw this drama. I strongly disliked it. It was really slow and the actors and actresses didn't do a good job. I think Yosuke's character was interesting, but he was also a bit cruel at times.
I felt sorry for him when the teacher left him.
I watched this because Kyoko was in it. But I was disappointed not only because of her acting skills but also because of her character. Her character was really immature and unreasonable. This drama was also the first drama that I've seen Takki in, but he has totally disappointed me.

The only good thing in this drama was Uchiyama's character. I thought she was really cool.
I remember feeling really sorry for her when Manato broke up with her but I find the pairing between her and Yosuke's character pretty interesting..

Wattstax

Post by Wattstax » Aug 28th, '06, 16:44

Mmh, SOS is my most beloved J-Drama. Never saw anything as good as this. I liked all characters and I could understand Yui and Manato both very well. The only thing i disliked, was the failed teacher-pupil-relationship. I loved the sensei :cry: and never felt much for Sawamura. They just don't match.
And this Piano Piece - Heaven :thumleft:
But I also want to know, from whom the teacher got pregnant.

And hey - this drama must be good, because I didn't switched it off because of the Music by ABBA.

cutina124

amazing series

Post by cutina124 » Oct 31st, '06, 04:20

I loved this series, the ending was outstanding and the series is not wierd at all. I was really turned away by all the reviews I read but after about 8 months I decided to watch it and found it to be amazing. I thought all the actors did a wonderful job especiially takky! :wub:

So yeah 10/10 for me!

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » Jan 9th, '07, 01:10

Sorry, I haven't read the posts before at all: I will, once I finish the series -- right now I've just finished ep 8, and cannot really help myself anylonger, so I must ask this:

Are there other people who plain hate Yui?? And Manato?? To boot? These two just make me SICK!!! And I had to say it. So. Phew.

And I'm really wondering if there are people out there who don't really get Yui's kawaiiness either. To me, she is not cute at all, she seems SOOO fake!!! I don't know if it's the actress's fault, and Yui-chan was actually supposed to be cute and "artless" indeed, but she does NOT come across as that at all, at least to me. When Saeki-san says those "cruel" words to her in ep. 7 (and I suppose they were cruel...), wow, boy, did it sound like the truth!!! I cannot pity her in any way, no matter how hard I try... I suppose that really makes me cold-hearted...

It seems there's more sickness in store from Yui and Manato in the episodes to come, but I'll bear it, as I'm really curious about Haruka, Saeki and Mariko.

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » Jan 9th, '07, 20:42

Right-o, finished the series and read the comments :-) Now these are my final feelings:
I am really, really glad that Haruka and Saeki-san got together in the end!! Had a small hope for it but didn't think it possible, though I should have seen it coming when Haruka made the "maybe if you were the last guy in the world" comment, as someone pointed out before. But during the last episode my hope got stronger, so I'm very happy it turned out this way.

I think it's pretty clear that Mariko was pregnant by the omiai guy... I strongly feared Yui might be pregnant when she started to be ill and throw up all the time, especially when she tells Manato "No, actually I am..." and then he again goes on and on about her having a cold.

What escapes me entirely is how in the world the script-writer, the producers, the director and everyone else could have thought that Yui and Manato are characters to sympathize with.... These two made me very sick almost every second of their screen time... Manato is a pathetic coward, who lies to himself and to most everyone around, obsessive and selfish to the point of cruelty when he sends Saeki away and hides Yui's real health state just because he wants to keep her by himself in his "castle".

As for Yui, she is an incredible brat, self-centered and manipulative to unbelievable lengths. Her "innocent", "kawaii" act made my stomach revolt!

I think what I'm going to say will sound really bad, but a malicious glee made a large grin appear on my face when "Hirase Ai" showed up and Yui got the shock she deserved!!! "So! See what you have brought upon yourself!" :twisted:

But after reading some of the comments here, it seems that the script-writer & co. were not so off thinking they'll get an audience who will adore these characters.... How is it possible that the same person who wrote Manato also wrote Saeki-san, and that the same author wrote both Yui and Haruka, well, that beats me entirely........ Thank goodness, however, for Haruka and Tatsuya! ABBA, Kubozuka Yosuke and Uchiyama Rina kept this drama going for me. They made the hours I spent watching it worthwhile.

Moondy

Post by Moondy » Jan 12th, '07, 22:04

I saw this drama and i find that it was a very good drama!

bria333

Post by bria333 » Apr 18th, '07, 02:56

I really enjoyed this drama. I also liked the secondary characters the best. The only thing I was confused about was
who did sensei get pregnant to? I am guessing not Saeki-san or surely Haruka would have told him but it was never clear to me. Am I missing something that others picked up on? Was this information ever communicated?

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » Apr 18th, '07, 15:48

As I was saying in my post above, I think it must be the man she was considering getting married to. That awful guy who was checking up on her...

KawaiiD

Post by KawaiiD » Apr 18th, '07, 15:58

The ending of s.o.s was really nice =]
Never thought Uchiyama Rina would end up wit Kubozuka in the end

maohei

Post by maohei » Apr 19th, '07, 06:21

>_< I didn't think it was the best drama i've seen, actually I didn't like it that much.

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » Apr 19th, '07, 16:54

For some reason I really like this drama! I am just watching it now and I am on episode 6. It is very interesting to me and I like the way it is more of a character study than a "hokey romantic" teenie bopper show.

I actually know a lot of people like these characters so it really hits home too...

karin-chan

Post by karin-chan » Apr 20th, '07, 08:46

OMG!!! i neeeeeeddd to watch this drama!! Tackey is in it!!!

gemtsoi

Post by gemtsoi » Apr 24th, '07, 07:20

I just finished watching S.O.S and I really, really liked it. I'll put it as one of the top jdramas I've watched so far! I know a lot of people found Manato to be a coward who verged on cruelty, and Yui to be annoying, etc., but that's exactly what they were intended to be.
Emotions aren't always pretty or nice, and at times in episodes 6-9, Manato's behaviour towards Yui was just so ugly that I wanted to stop watching, but it was so compelling that I continued watching. That's what real life is about... dirt in the subtlety. There's always jealousy, selfishness, possessiveness, unreasonableness, cruelty, hatred... and I think S.O.S brought it out really well. In fact, I haven't seen another drama that so realistically captured the uglier emotions of humans on such a small scale (there're only four main characters).

I enjoyed Sawamura and Saeki, too. They were both excellently sketched characters, especially Sawamura. I think many of us have all been Sawamuras at one point or another. The only nitpick I have about S.O.S. is that the ending was really rushed. I would have liked just a little more of Sawamura and Saeki, and Yui's confirmation from her own mouth that she loved Manato, because although I felt her sisterly love for him throughout, I didn't get any romantic vibes.
I guess S.O.S. is the sort of show that either you really love it, or you dislike it. It depends on what you're looking for, really. If you want pretty and romantic shows, and we all do sometimes, S.O.S is not the show to watch, because it's dark, ugly at parts, very realistic, mature, and 'slow'. It's really a gem of drama-making.

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » Apr 24th, '07, 11:29

gemtsoi, thank you so much for helping me come to terms with this drama!!! :thumleft: What you said is what I needed to hear. :-)

It's like I had those thoughts in my heart too, but I needed someone else to express them for me. Now I feel like I can finally accept why the characters were the way they were.

Thank you again for telling us your thoughts and I'm fascinated to see such maturity from someone as young as yourself! :wub:

karin-chan

Post by karin-chan » Apr 24th, '07, 13:56

thanks for the thoughts...

but iLL somehow watch it bcoz of Tackey...

at Least i dont expect this drama to be great...

queequeg

Post by queequeg » May 5th, '07, 17:55

OK, so I'm up to episode 7 of this series and I'm so glad I'm not the only one to like the drama, but hate the lead character. Really, I want to slap Yui. She's more of an immature, selfish, stalker than a cute female lead. It's like if the mean girl in all those other anime and drama series got the lead role. You know, the one who tortures the nice lead female because the lead male likes her, and not the mean girl. (Did that make sense?) It's too bad. She had potential in the first episode when she was helping Manato.

However, I do like Saeki, Manato, and Sawamura, so I'm keeping at it.

And that's my rant for today.

karin-chan

Post by karin-chan » May 6th, '07, 04:05

^^
nice!! is Kiseki its theme song? uhm.. where can i find dL of this? pLs heLp...

haha!!! aLot of people sys the femaLe Lead is such a :cussing: !!!!

itachi666

Im confused

Post by itachi666 » May 14th, '07, 02:25

Wow alot of people find Yui annoying. I can see that. Though I really liked her character. I like how she was selfish. Watching this drama was excruciating for me. The annoying thing that I didnt like was that Manato would always say "Thats why I'll never forget her" I kept me asking "why am I even watching this?" I hung on. From episode 6 on I't made me feel down and mad. I started thinking things were too unfair for Manato. I dont like the fact that I didnt know she liked him till the last 10 minutes or so. Now I feel like watching it again to see where was it that Yui started liking Manato. dakara~

People I want your help. Yui started liking Manato after he started taking care of her? Or did she act sick because she wanted Manato to take care of her cause she liked him?
Exactly when did she start liking him? If anyone could tell me the episode and maybe the exact timing I'd gladly appreaciate it.

fastat3m

Post by fastat3m » May 15th, '07, 06:38

I really loved watching this drama. It was one of my favorites. I can see why people don't like Fukada, but I really enjoy watching her.
Her character may have seemed annoying but she pretty much wanted attention. Manato was the only one that really gave her the attention that she seeked, which is probably why she fell in love with him eventually. She couldn't just tell him once she realized that she was in love with him because he had a fake gf. She didn't want to mess up his relationship with his fake gf. There was no way that she could have known that it was fake and she when she did, she was going to tell him, but was shocked to see someone show up. Honestly, if I was her, I probably would want attention too. She was a young girl who was still growing up who needed friends. First, she moved to a new school, which means she didn't know anyone around. Second, her mother died and had to live with people she had only known for a short period of time. I would totally be emotionally unstable when I was in high school if my parents died and the only family that I had were not blood related and that I had only know for a couple of months.

princess_jime

Post by princess_jime » May 23rd, '07, 11:52

well, I finished watching it. I liked it. I wouldn't die for it though, hehehehe.
To me, neither manato not yui were as awful as they appeared, there were times where they acted really hateful, but we all do sometimes, that was as real as one can get in a drama I guess. Although I don't sympathize with the main characters, I can understand them and appreciate them with their faults and all.
Plus, takki is hot. :lol :lol :lol
I REALLY loved sawamura though. She was what kept me watching. I REALLY loved how she and saeki ended up. I also would have liked to see more of them.
Saeki, on the other hand, was cool, I liked how much of an **** he could be, yet still likable, it showed great character writing and acting.

Things I didn't get:
+ How someone as hot as manato (that is: takki) was picked on in school and wasn't popular with the girls, they must have been blind, and the bullies... well, I guess they were jealous of manato's hunkyness therefore picked on him? LOL :lol
+ I simply don't understand the teacher, what was her problem? why did she leave? pregnancy is not an excuse, maybe she secretly wanted to be the "tortured drama heroine" just to spice things up in her otherwise boring life?

So yeah, I recommend this drama, I liked how the ending was happy (it could have easily gone the other way) and I specially liked the abba songs.

itachi666

Post by itachi666 » May 23rd, '07, 11:56

princess_jime wrote:well, I finished watching it. I liked it. I wouldn't die for it though, hehehehe.
To me, neither manato not yui were as awful as they appeared, there were times where they acted really hateful, but we all do sometimes, that was as real as one can get in a drama I guess. Although I don't sympathize with the main characters, I can understand them and appreciate them with their faults and all.
Plus, takki is hot. :lol :lol :lol
I REALLY loved sawamura though. She was what kept me watching. I REALLY loved how she and saeki ended up. I also would have liked to see more of them.
Saeki, on the other hand, was cool, I liked how much of an **** he could be, yet still likable, it showed great character writing and acting.

Things I didn't get:
+ How someone as hot as manato (that is: takki) was picked on in school and wasn't popular with the girls, they must have been blind, and the bullies... well, I guess they were jealous of manato's hunkyness therefore picked on him? LOL :lol
+ I simply don't understand the teacher, what was her problem? why did she leave? pregnancy is not an excuse, maybe she secretly wanted to be the "tortured drama heroine" just to spice things up in her otherwise boring life?

So yeah, I recommend this drama, I liked how the ending was happy (it could have easily gone the other way) and I specially liked the abba songs.
I think the teacher didnt want to pass on the burden of a child to a high school graduate.

l0nEr

Post by l0nEr » May 23rd, '07, 14:43

Hey, is there a clubbox for this drama? thanks.

itachi666

Post by itachi666 » May 23rd, '07, 18:32

l0nEr wrote:Hey, is there a clubbox for this drama? thanks.
good question

princess_jime

Post by princess_jime » May 24th, '07, 00:37

itachi666 wrote:I think the teacher didn't want to pass on the burden of a child to a high school graduate.
I guess you're right, hehehe :roll
Let's see: In the case the baby's father is the omiai guy, I can see why she wouldn't want to trouble saeki, but she at least she could have told him why she left, right? leave a letter or something? :lol
So she supposed he would stick with her (marry her and raise the baby as his) if he knew she was pregnant, and "ruin" his life in doing so... but saeki is loaded, money-wise there wouldn't have been any problem; in the case that she had flatly refused to marry him expecting someone else's kid because it would be unfair: shouldn't she at lest have given saeki the chance to decide what he wanted to do? I don't know how difficult single-motherhood is in Japan, but if it's even a little bit difficult as it is here in Latinamerica... she could use all the help she can get (otherwise she wouldn't be as intelligent as one would think a high school teacher should be)

In the case the baby was saeki's: he deserves to know that a kid of his is running around in the world, at the very least.

I guess it all comes down to the fact that she really wasn't in love with saeki, IMHO.
The age difference I think wasn't THAT great... she's probably, what, 31? and saeki was, what, 21? ten years... I've met couples with bigger difference in real life and they do great. But you have to be in love. Otherwise it doesn't work.
Maybe she knew she wasn't in love and that's why she left, believing that saeki would eventually forget her and fall in love again with someone else (as how it happened), in that case, she shouldn't have told him she loved him in the first place, I guess that was her biggest mistake.
And there... I've answered my own question... LOL! :lol :lol :lol :lol

l0nEr

Post by l0nEr » May 31st, '07, 16:37

Hihi. I just finished the drama...joining the club. haha. Got half the drama from veoh.com and the rest from the torrent. So... tip for people who wants to watch the drama.

First of all, i would like to comment on the music. This is my first time listening to ABBA. Sorry, but (kind of embarrassing), I never knew ABBA had female vocals. First time listening to the song, felt that Chiquita is a wonderful song, but don't really like SOS. The song which senpai always plays on the piano was wonderful too. I think the music is one of the most touching aspects of the drama.
Ok i thought the story was great, except for the ending.
Somehow the ending was a bit sudden. No doubt it was a sweet and happy ending, each couple lived happily ever after. But the sudden twist, especially the dramatic snow scene (though its pretty much typical behavior of Yui) was kind of too much. I mean... getting sick to enjoy the love of the Manato was not probably not Yui's personality. I thought she would just tell him immediately, since she was always like that. Her sudden switch of love interest was pretty unacceptable too. Other than that.... full marks for the show then. Everybody loves a happy ending after all.
I think we shouldnt dislike the show because of certain characters. I think the show was good, because it portrayed "different love" from different characters. The character development was pretty great i guess.
For some reason I really like this drama! I am just watching it now and I am on episode 6. It is very interesting to me and I like the way it is more of a character study than a "hokey romantic" teenie bopper show.

I actually know a lot of people like these characters so it really hits home too...
Totally agree with you, man. Actually, i pretty liked Yui's naive personality. I also like Fukada, so i'm probably biased. If everybody behaves like who you like, there will be no show to it, because there will probably only be 1 character. I also liked the part about the fake and true personality. Somehow i think it applies to real life. Thats what i like about Japanese dramas and animes (sometimes). They get you thinking about life, i guess. Haha. Its like we are living/talking through the computer/internet now.... Till now, i still cant really figure out which is the real Manato, or which is the real Sawamura. (Actually i thought that the scriptwriter probably did not have everything cleared out too... just had the idea and wrote it... but he probably didnt had the whole idea figured out, so the idea slowly faded away at the last episode) Actually, the idea of living in the world through the glasses was the main thing that got me through the drama. I thought that it was an interesting idea. The love story however, was...er only... ma ma... so so...

I don't think this is a spoiler... so ill just post this here...
Speech during the Graduation Ceremony
哲也:
僕たちは愛するために生まれました
僕たちは苦しむために生まれたわけじゃありません
無責任な大人が作った二十世紀は、矛盾や欺瞞に満ちていたが
僕たちは苦しむために生まれたわけじゃありません
ときどき心ない人に出会うと、後ろから殴りたい衝動にかられますが
僕たちは傷つけるために生まれたわけじゃありません
ときどき心ない人に出会うと、不安定になり、息苦しくなりますが
僕たちは傷つけられるために生まれたわけじゃありません

僕たちは時々もう一人の自分を作り上げます
それは、苦しみや悲しみから逃げるためかもしれません
他人から見れば逃避かもしれません
家の中に引きこもり
あるいは違う場所に逃げたくなるんです
もう一人の自分という友達と話し合うために
だからいかなる人も孤独になることはありません
すべての人に必ず、もう一人の自分という友達がいます
その友達を僕たちは、悪いやつだと思う時があります
臆病で残酷だったりするやつだと
でも、真実は違う
臆病で残酷だったりするのは、友達ではなく本当の自分です
なぜなら友達は、本当の自分を救うために存在するからです

だからこそ、この素晴らしい友達と僕たちは別れなければいけません
そうしないと僕たちは、いつまでももう一人の自分に甘えてばかりいるからです
さて、それはいつなんでしょう?
愛する人と巡り合った時です
寂しさも悲しみも苦しみも
もう一人の友達に代わって、愛する人が共有してくれるからです

さぁ、愛する人を探しに行こう
僕たちは愛する人の前で一日のことを話し
笑い、泣いて、抱き締め合い、キスして、セックスする
そして勇気をもらい、同時に与える
僕たちはただ愛するために生まれました
ただ、僕たちは…

Anybody know where i can get the soft sub or what? so that i can get the translated version of the speech

Sorry for all my ranting. Enjoy the show. 9/10

P.S. Karin-chan, what do u mean by the theme song? which song? the Piano? or the ABBA song? Think the piano piece was T' s Walts.

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » May 31st, '07, 20:38

Dear me, l0nEr, you just made me feel ancient by saying that this was your first time listening to ABBA songs!! XD My Mom used to dance with me in her arms to ABBA songs when I was a toddler! :wub: So I must have been listening to them almost since I was born... I remember the songs were played on a reel-to-reel tape deck! XD Ah, I feel too nostalgic now! :lol

aoi00

Post by aoi00 » Aug 11th, '08, 13:07

hi every1! m new here...
jz hope sm1 can enlghten me w/ wt rly hpened @ the ending of strawberry on the shortcake...
i mean how did it rly end?coz wen i watched in on line i got confused coz episodes 9 & 10 were the same as the earlier episodes???
wt hapend???? m confused :unsure: :scratch:

the part where yui was abt to be taken to the hospital in an ambulance w/ manato, was that ending???

nikkibell84

Post by nikkibell84 » Aug 19th, '08, 02:08

Oh, I love this drama. I think it was done really well and loved the chemistry between the four leads; the love and friendship that they had for one another was shown so well. Takizawa Hideaki, Fukada Kyoko, and Kubozuka Yosuke were all brilliant in this.

It was the first drama I had ever seen Kubozuka Yosuke and Takizawa Hideaki in, and I was very pleased with both of their performances. Plus - Fukada Kyoko - I love when she does more dramatic roles; it's a shame she doesn't do more drama. I also adored TH and FK as an onscreen couple and do wish they would do another drama together.

To aoi00 - After the ambulance, there was a bit more with Manato and Yui. Manato is waiting on a busy street . He looks at a picture of Saekiand Haruka - a voice over lets us know that the two have run off to America together.

Yui runs to greet him. They begin walking and being playful with one another. Yui says she's hungry, and Manato tells her they can eat after the movie. He's also a bit annoyed that he had to wait for her, as it would have been easier for them to leave the house together; but, Yui says its more romantic if they meet up. They walk by a mother and a child, the child holding a ballon shaped like a strawberry. Manato comments that Yui has been hungry a lot lately - Yui responds that she must be pregnant already - Manato laughs it off. Manato gives one final voice over, saying he will never forget Yui, her smile, etc because she is in front of him every day. It ends with a frozen frame of the two walking and smiling, arm in arm.

Pantheria

Post by Pantheria » Apr 20th, '10, 14:26

Just finished this & totally not what I was expecting. Surprisingly good solid story. Well worth a watch if you ask me. :)

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Apr 20th, '10, 18:22

If you haven't watch Boku dake no Madonna. Give it a try. Same leading male actor, so to me, it also has the same vibe. Instead of high school, this story is in college and it's also about unrequited love.

Pantheria

Post by Pantheria » Apr 21st, '10, 03:33

XrayMind wrote:If you haven't watch Boku dake no Madonna. Give it a try. Same leading male actor, so to me, it also has the same vibe. Instead of high school, this story is in college and it's also about unrequited love.
Sounds interesting I'll have to check it out. Is the ending a sad one? I am trying to avoid sad endings at the moment but if it is I'll save it for later. :)

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Apr 21st, '10, 04:17

Pantheria wrote:Sounds interesting I'll have to check it out. Is the ending a sad one? I am trying to avoid sad endings at the moment but if it is I'll save it for later. :)
Don't really want to spoil the ending for you by saying it was a happy or sad ending. Since the story has some twists and turns in it. But again, this story has same feel as SOS. So from what I remember, the two shows have the same type of ending.

Pantheria

Post by Pantheria » Apr 21st, '10, 04:26

Thanks, I don't really mind about spoilers though. Just don't fancy watching anything overly tragic at the moment. Koizora was enough for me LOL. I really did thing SOS was going to end badly he he. :)