Hana Yori Dango VS Meteor Garden

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.

Meteor Garden Vs Hana Yori Dango

Poll ended at Nov 24th, '05, 21:03

Metoer Garden
45%
Hana Yori Dango
55%

Total votes: 166

spicythai

Japanese version beats it

Post by spicythai » Nov 15th, '05, 07:35

I can see why people like Meteor Garden better...it's just more lighthearted and full of dreamy moments with good looking actors. But, speaking of quality, Hana Yori Dango has simply a higher class of almost everything--acting, scene, and music (in my opinion).

Edit: oh and the DRESS...I want all their dresses in HYD. It hurts my eyes so bad to see what Domyoji is wearing that I actually look forward to see his new dress in every episode.

son_yejin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by son_yejin » Nov 15th, '05, 13:31

Hana Yori Dango gets my vote.
I've seen both; went head over heels in love with both HYD and MG, but HYD is in a whole new class of its own, no doubt about it. 8)

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Nov 15th, '05, 13:46

I have been watching the new hyd and i absolutely love it so far! meteor garden was my first drama so i will always love it but i would agree that hyd is better.

I still think Vic makes a better Rui (even though i love oguri shun).

mms

Post by mms » Nov 15th, '05, 14:20

i voted for hana yori dango. havn't watched meteor garden. but from how HYD goes up to now, HYD absolutely would hav my vote!! The props are so cool. With the ferrari limos huge mansions even huge bedrooms super clothes super nice planetarium song n kawaii tsukushi, could it get any better? this is better than mtv cribs. n i like that the f4s are not girly, so there's little room to despise the story. cant wait for more episodes.

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Nov 16th, '05, 06:38

MG: painful to watch <- bad acting, poor special effects, lighting, etc..
HDY: awesome, can't wait till the next episode

:bunny:
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by :bunny: » Nov 17th, '05, 03:23

hana yori dango for sure ^^

Aisling

Post by Aisling » Nov 17th, '05, 05:05

I have been reading all your post in this and Like the first post wrote everybody has their own oppinion
I watch Meteor garden and just coz it was the first version of Hana yori dango I was happy I know the f4 guys are handsome but frankly speaking it wasn`t that good of a drama in the acting point...but still I like the fact that they did try to respect the manga as much as they could it was very funny to see it and of course an Eye candy

the japanese version I must write it was amazing how they start with 1st episode everything was perfect altough I like Matsumoto Jun I didn`t like how he looks as Tsukasa sorry I know some of you will not agree or even be mad at this but I`m trying to be frank I love Jun in Gokusen but anyway...Tsukasa is suppose to be taller than Rui right? as for the attitude it was ok he has the temper of Tsukasa..
about Oguri Shun I can`t complain since I like his act and he even looks like Rui it`s perfect..

as for Tsukasa`s mother I definitely like Meteor garden version more
as for the childhood friend of Tsukushi he doesn`t even appear ^^u
and Tsukushi`s parents they weren`t as comical as the thai version but not as serious as japanese version either and they did argue a lot about Tsukushi being married with a rich man and in japanese version they appear like they not care about that as much as in anime and manga---

but I`m sad that after episode 1 things went a little too fast for my liking and now that I know it will only be 9 episodes I`m dissapointed some of my favorites scenes are not in it coz they`re doing a very very short version of a big manga...

I`m not saying I didn`t like Hana yori dango coz I do..
somethings I like from Thai version somethings I like from japanese version so I give them both 50%50 :cheers:

Chidori-Chan

Post by Chidori-Chan » Nov 17th, '05, 10:25

poor jun (n shun) having acne problems...

Hika.chan

Post by Hika.chan » Nov 17th, '05, 10:43

I voted for Meteor Garden. Because they are more human. Jap.F4 are to cruel and too fare away from ground. The Tai-vers. plays with the friendship and how it can changes uddenly.

The jap-vers. beats the tai-vers. in some points while in other points the tai-vers. wins. Both series are special but if someone would ask me what to see I would speak up for Meteor Garden.

mms

Post by mms » Nov 17th, '05, 11:49

after only a couple of episodes, HYD has finally overtook MG in votes!!!

Chidori-Chan

Post by Chidori-Chan » Nov 17th, '05, 12:20

after watching ep3 of HYD, despite of the good settings and all the branded stuff they hv ... the story is moving too fast and too many mixed or changed scenes from the manga version, i can only see jun as D, as for the rest, i don't think they fit well with the characters from the manga (F4), so I'm definitely voting for MG!!!

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Nov 17th, '05, 18:08

HYD definitely wins on the production values front. For a TW drama, MG sets were outstanding, but compared to HYD, it's a little weak. The costuming in HYD is just amazing, MG is just casual in comparison.

Castings: F4 - TW wins here hands down. When the 4 are placed together, you can visually pick out whose who based on looks along in the TW version. Not so in HYD. MG's Domouji LOOKS like the leader with his height and build, HYD's looks too short and lean. MG's Rui just has the perfect look for the silent prince type, HYD's just looks like a gangster ... Tsukushi seems more accurate in the feel of MG version and HYD version is a bit too soft

Acting: HYD's cast are mostly veterans, where as all of MG's core cast were new to acting. It's clear on the way the lines are delivered and emotions are acted. However, due to deficiency in the casting, it's easier for TW F4 to sell their lines. So, it's a tie here

Supporting cast:
Tsukushi's family - TW's was way sillier, you can see why she'd wanna rebel. HYD's was much more supportive, you see how she draws her strength from them. So, they are different to fit the theme of the respective versions
Rainie Yang - first noticed her here! So cute, if she wasn't such an unknown and raw at the time, she might have made a better Tsukushi than Barbie Hsu.
Nanako - what can I say, when I saw her in HYD, I was just floored! I don't think I've ever seen her as supporting cast. She's just radiant!
Domouji's mom - MG's version just seems like much more of a power women than HYD's, you can clearly see why MG's version is someone to be feared, not so in HYD

Plot: It's too early to tell. I thought that MG was about the right length, maybe slightly on the long end. I get the feeling that HYD's a little too rushed. Supporting characters fly in and out and don't get to develop ...

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Nov 17th, '05, 18:39

I'm completely taken by Hana Yori Dango. Actually everything that has to do with HYD[the manga] takes my breath away! Being that MG was the first drama based on HYD, I completely fell in love with it. However, with each episode of HYD I see, I'm also falling in love with it! If you were to compare the two, I'd say that MG follows the drama much closer b/c they had more episodes to focus on each event [well most really] as oppose to HYD. The actors in MG were much cuter [no offense to some who disagree] but the acting of those in MG is nothing compared to HYD. HYD on the other hand, they bring in more luxurious things [such as Tsukasa's house] and the dresses, my oh my, how I want to own those! HYD's cast have much better acting and I personally can feel those emotions they try to portray. :wub: I just wish that they would have more episodes than the rumored 9 or 11!
I'm really neutral when it comes to comparing the two b/c each drama brings in their own unique insight of HYD. Each drama has their own good aspect. All I know is I love MG and I'm certain I will love HYD. How I can't wait to see the next episodes! :thumright:

angelic_poring

Post by angelic_poring » Nov 17th, '05, 19:03

hmm_yeh: i absolutely agree with you!! i've watched the anime, read the manga, watched mg and now i'm waiting for the 5th ep for jap drama.. ^_^ i'm thrilled that there are so many versions of hyd.. and i love them all.. at first.. i hated the jap version of hyd at first, (at first!) then into the 3rd episode.. i liked it alot more
however.. i've been reading the posts.. and ppl have been saying that jap version of hyd is more realistic.. they like the costumes.. they like the music..
eum... talkin about realistic.. i disgree.. jap version of hyd (i find) is terribly exaggerated.. i still can't get over the fact of how the whole school SWARMS out.. and starts clapping their hands and yelling f4.. i know ppl have been telling me that it's a DRAMA.. but i think.. that even if a drama is a drama.. there should be a limit.. the whole school practically clapping their hands.. i find.. is way too farfetched.. and plus, i never thought that a drama should be more exaggerated than anime and manga.. nothing like that ever happened in those.. and .. the f4 practicaly sit on sofas in hallways.. as if they're kings or something -__________- puhlease...
as for music.. did anyoen notice that they play harry potter music??? harry potter music for f4?!?! ... i wuz so disgusted.. i'm sorry.. i like the other singing tho.. when this girl sings when it's sad..
as for costumes.. oh man.. okay.. i really dun like tsukasa's costumes.. at one point he wears this prince charming costume.. like this red thing with like.. yellow/gold outline or something.. @_______@ i wuz horrified.. but well.. the rest is fine.. but yea..
the reasons above were some of the reasons why i really disliked hyd at first.. but then as the story progressed.. it started to get better and so i liked it. id un wanna compare mg to hyd.. i appreciate both versions.. altho now that ir ead the manga.. i understand how some hyd fans hated daomingsi.. i will never hate him.. i think of the many versions of tsukasa (manga, mg, hyd) as unique versions of him.. i like them all.. they all have a unique character.. and i can't say i prefer which one more.. i see why ppl like jun in hyd better now.. he has that cold character that domyouji had and he's gentle when he should be gentle... whereas daomingsi wuz really emotional.. very emotional..(ppl call him wimpy tho.. but i dun think of him as wimpy.. just passionate) u do have to do justice to mg tho for following the story so exceptionally well... not many ppl pointed this out i find.. but after reading the manga.. it really did follow very well.. it even followed the dialogue.. line by line.. all the important moments were quoted from anime and manga.. and i hope ppl will appreciate that...

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Nov 18th, '05, 03:03

This is so sad, my second time writing a reply in a day! Hmm, well I've been reading the posts, and I beg to differ about how HYD wouldn't be good. Yes, it is true that they are a bit fast paced.. no make that, they are rushing this project. Maybe the reason why is b/c the budget to keep the casts, like Matsumoto Jun [being that he's from a different agency who's strict about their actors] is overly expensive?! I think they are trying their best with what they've got and I've got to hand it to them, they're doing a spectacular job. The acting is superb! Being that the casts is more experienced, I welcome the idea of who's playing each character.

I admit, I personally think that Jun makes a weird Tsukasa [appearance wise], he's just not as tall and doesn't really appear to be the leader, unless he orders people around. [I felt it was kinda weird how in episode 3 he cried out to Rui, it didn't seem like a friendly "why oh why" until he continued talking.] :scratch: On the other hand, Jerry had the advantage appearance wise when acting as Tsukasa [Dao Ming Si], but he's acting was borderline, I just didn't feel anything when he had to do the emotional scenes. Yes, i know he was a newbie at acting and I don't hold that against him, I'm just saying that his face is too still [I can't even find the correct word to describe it] to try to portray emotions, other than anger and happiness. Jerry does well at how he tries to show his affection towards San Cai [Tsukushi]. However, Jun's acting is perfect for Tsukasa, as in the manga they were portraying him as a loner . Overall, both Jun and Jerry provides the viewers with a different angle of Tsukasa's personality. They are both good, in terms of being Tsukasa, in their own ways. One may be better in one aspect and vice versa, but they shouldn't be criticized about not showing the Tsukasa that many people think they should.

As for Rui, in HYD, he seemed more likable b/c it's clear that he has some sort of protective feeling over Tsukushi [his supportiveness was a bit off from Rui's real character], as oppose to Vic's portrayal, he seemed so cold [I like him a lot though, and his acting has improved much since MG]. Yes, yes, that's exactly how Rui is supposed to be and Vic did Rui's character justice with that. Nevertheless, the casts of each HYD and MG brought in their own impact of Kamio's HYD. Each drama shouldn't be judged [I may sound like a hypocrit b/c I just compared Jun and Jerry, but I like them both b/c they portray Tsukasa in different angles], they have their own special way of capturing the audience's attention. I cherish anything that has to do with Kamio's HYD, and I love both Taiwan's and Japan's version.:thumright:

angelic_poring --- ahahaha I know exactly what you mean, whe I first heard the Harry Potter song, I was like " oh no they didn't!" :goggle: It was kinda weird how they played it a lot though! I guess the director must like Harry Potter b/c they even had the Harry Potter dining room!

Taiwan should just release a dvd of MG with Eng. subtitles, it definitely would be more profitable. I, for one, would definitely want to buy it b/c it's a classic!! [well maybe not really, but to me it is] It'd be better for them to release it b/c they'd personally profit a lot from it, rather than those selling the bootleg versions!
Last edited by hmm_yeh on Nov 18th, '05, 04:23, edited 1 time in total.

An3maePhreek

HYD ALL THE WAY!

Post by An3maePhreek » Nov 18th, '05, 04:22

First of all, let me say that I'm on the same ground as all those people who've watched Meteor Garden and loved it then.

However, after watching Hana Yori Dango... I have to say Hana Yori Dango hands down.

On looks... some of you guys are gonna kill me for this XD but HYD hands down. Yea... MatsuJun looks kinda funky... but that's only the initial reaction. He GROWS on you... his charisma totally makes up for the initial WHOA! Also... if any of you have seen Shunnie in other dramas, you'll understand why the HYD Rui fans are like YEAAAAA~~~!! *swoon* He's equally charismatic, and he looks SUPERB in HYD. And yea, it's kinda deviation from the plot when HYD-Rui smiles so DAMN much *secretly loves it* but it makes more sense than MG-Rui. Think about it. If MG-Rui is so friggin cold... why does he suddenly
kiss MG-Tsukushi
? It just doesn't make sense. You have to feel the tiny-a$$ thread of feeling from Rui to Tsukushi in order to get why he
likes her
later on. Also... Shunnie is so awesome... with his new hairdo and his look. He really wears Rui to the T. Tsukushi in this one is so much better too... The other one was just too ugly... no offense to anyone, but yea. I didn't like the other 2 F-4 members at first in HYD, but I don't know... it's starting to change. Yea... MG-F4 was pretty good looking, and they were the right height/build/whatever... but...HYD was better. Just the clothing, and the hairstyling, and stuff... it just... all adds up.

On acting... HYD yet again. I don't agree with all you people that say that you can't compare the acting between the two just because MG-actors were beginners.

Dude... you need to get a reality check. That's reality. Just because they were beginners, we can make allowances, but when the acting is just so obviously on a higher level, you can't stay on the bank of denial forever. Yea, MG was awesome when I saw it, but HYD is WAY better. MG did their best; HYD was just better.

The comedy was fun in MG, but the dark/gothicness in HYD was even better. It had more attraction level. MatsuJun really did Domyouji justice. In the beginning, I had my doubts (his height you know), but he really brings out the power-trips and the influence of rich society. I didn't see that in MG. At first, I thought: Jesus Christ, Jerry looks so much more Domyouji than MaJun. But after the second episode, MaJun acted so SUPERBLY ATTRACTIVE AND ALL THOSE GOODY GOOD THINGS, that it made Jerry look too MUSCULAR for the part. What ends up happening is that MatsuJun becomes Domyouji. But right off the bat, I say Shunnie was WAY better than Vic at Rui. HYD-Rui was awesome. Don't deny it. Shunnie was depressing as Rui, having all the lonely little boy kinda feel. You also have the don't care factor that Shunnie does well. Shunnie is awesome as Rui. Period. Also HYD-Tsukushi is FRIGGIN SO MUCH BETTER!!!!!!!! She's like... cute, spunky, and totally *piss off you friggin jerk* that I didn't get from Sancai. I loved it when she
turned her nose up
at MaJun.

Sets and props were better, yada yada... Harry Potter theme in HYD was kinda freaky... but somehow fit XD.

Okay... gonna stop ranting now... HYD ALL THE WAY!

W00T.

[/spoiler]
Attachments
shun23xq.gif
shun23xq.gif (127.45 KiB) Viewed 7030 times

avetsada

Post by avetsada » Nov 18th, '05, 10:55

I love both of them.
because they done a good different jobs.

I don't think they're absolutely better or not, but I just think a good drama can amke us addict even if we know the true all about the story and give us fun.

cuteangelika

Post by cuteangelika » Nov 18th, '05, 17:02

I cant decide between the two... but my heart is leaning toward Hanadan.. well, I guess, this is for the obvious reason that it's the one Im currently watching and the memories/scenes are still fresh...

But let me compare the two using the following categories:
ACTORS
MG1-good looking, instant head turners.. I guess the fact that they're "matinee idol material" is the reason why they were picked for the roles in the first place. DMS toughness is aptly portrayed by Jerry Yan with his toned body. Barbie really fit SC's character well. She isnt a looker but you'd find yourself rooting for her in many ways.
HYD- needs more than one glance to be truly appreciated.. well, it's probably just me.. Their charm grew on me. Even Jun didnt really take my breath away but after a few episodes, his appeal came shining and now I think he surpassed JY. However, Shun still hasnt taken Zai Zai's place in my heart. Makino is prettier than she's supposed to be, that's probably why they rumple her hair a lot and make her wear shabby outfits, or maybe this is to stress that her family is not well off too. But for me, she lacks the tenacity that SC showed in MG or maybe I just havent seen episode 5 yet.

ACTING:
MG1 - I guess no one watched MG because of the great acting skills shown by the cast. You'd be able to guess after one scene that these were first timers but you'd forgive them since you're enjoying the show anyway. Plus, the supporting cast is great (loved the parents, the grandma)
HYD- I was impressed by the acting skills shown by the cast, especially by Jun in his airport scene with Rui. You'd really fall deep into his eyes, yearning to comfort this man-child.

SETTING:
MG1 - F4's affluence wasnt really overwhelming enough. Everything was implied, meaning, they always had to explain in a scene that F4 was this rich or something-- then again, that might just be my impression.
HYD- Here they really made use of the picture to say a thousand words. With the rich setting, you'd see the striking distance between Makino's status and F4's. Even their eating place was in a pedestal, emphasizing that they were above the rest. No words were needed to explain how difficult it would be for Makino and Doumyouji or even Rui to be together.

PACE:
Well, the number of episodes says it all. MG1 was long-winded and dramatic where they even had DMS in an almost-dead sacrificial state. But this is one of the things I liked in MG1 because I knew there were more episodes, more chances of seeing my favorite characters. HYD was too fast-paced that I was brought to a new state even before I had the chance to assimilate the previous events. Or maybe, Im just slow and too melodramatic. In MG1, I had my eyes red and too puffy to open when I reached episode 5 or was it 7-- the "I believe you" scene.. Im waiting for that to happen in HYD but I dont think Im gonna cry anymore.. Im thinking, is it because I know the story already? But then again, I knew what would happen when I watched MG1 for the 10th time but I still felt tears streaming down my face.

Now, you see my dilemma? But anyway, I have decided on one thing: BOTH DRAMAS ARE GREAT!

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Nov 18th, '05, 18:36

hmm_yeh wrote:Taiwan should just release a dvd of MG with Eng. subtitles, it definitely would be more profitable. I, for one, would definitely want to buy it b/c it's a classic!! [well maybe not really, but to me it is] It'd be better for them to release it b/c they'd personally profit a lot from it, rather than those selling the bootleg versions!
They did release the official DVD's 3(?) years back. I know, I have it, it was $120 (4000NTD). More than what I've ever paid for a TV series

I think that they had another official release later on with DVD-9's instead of the double sided DVD5's, not sure tho ... They've made their money. Paying for a translator and another press run would probably not be worth their while ...

edit: Just thinking about it again. I think that it's quite amazing that MG can stand up at all against HYD. This was a series done by unknown director, by a variety show producer, starring all-newbie cast and made with typical TW drama budget. But it made a large number of achievements:
1. First idol drama - it established an idol drama format.
2. It was the first ever TW attempt to dramatize a manga
3. Spoke Mandarin in a modern setting - it's not meaningful unless you are familiar with TW drama/ entertainment scene at that time
4. Custom song written for the series - I don't think had them since the early 1990's. Most series just have record labels bid for the Opening and Closing theme. Labels just put whatever they're promoting at the time, regardless of how it fits or not with the story.
5. Sound track matching the scene - In TW, generally sound FX is just sound FX, with virtually no sound production to add music to the background. When there is, it's almost always just the theme song(s)
6. Shot entirely (?) on location. I don't recall anything TW except for period pieces shot in China that did that before MG.
7. Use all non-actors for main cast.

No other TW drama since has made such a impact on the industry. Particularly in the soundtrack front

HYD is great, except that it doesn't stand out as much among other jdramas, which are mostly of high quality.

Paige

Post by Paige » Nov 19th, '05, 00:47

both versions are sooo good. I'm loving the Japanese one so much. The girl is so pretty and the guys are great too. Vic Zhou was so good in Mars, but I'm not sure he was too great in Meteor Garden since it was one of his earlier series.... and Jerry Yan was actually not bad as the main guy, but I think the other dude fits the character slightly better. But yea, I voted the TW version. Plus the F4 in MG was better-looking than the guys in HDY. I watched both series with subtitles though cuz I can't understand either haha Japanese or Chinese

sharnock

Post by sharnock » Nov 19th, '05, 04:05

Hana yori dango!!!

Malicious_Misery

Post by Malicious_Misery » Nov 19th, '05, 05:51

i don'nt understand all this talk about hana yori dango taking the drama too far. :scratch:

first of all....tsukasa is CRUEL in the manga, cm'on...he made guys go after tsukushi to rape her. he allows the school to throw garbage and torment tsukushi. i don't see how the drama is being too extreme about this. i think it's actually good how bad tsukushi is being tormented since.....the audience is supposed to sympathize with her and feel her pain.
tsukasa is such a jerk, and i think jun's acting fits the character well. :thumright:

drama_freak

Re: Hana Yori Dango VS Meteor Garden

Post by drama_freak » Nov 19th, '05, 06:51

hana yori dango!!!...definitely! :salut:

htp314

Post by htp314 » Nov 19th, '05, 07:41

Both are great, but since I love jdorama the most I have to go for Hana Yori Dango

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Nov 19th, '05, 17:31

Ahaha, whoops.. i guess I didn't thoroughly check yesasia. $100 seems like a fair deal for a great series, I wouldn't mind spending that much, I have so in the past when HYD [the anime] and the us release of Fushigi Yugi came out.
Ohh! I can't wait until episode 4 finishes downloading. It's taking forever.. but like tsukasa said "patience is a virtue." bwahaha! That's cute Humingyay! I can't wait to see how they act out the "I believe you" part, I wasn't really moved by the Taiwan version with that, but that's because I didn't really feel the emotions on their faces. :scratch:

amulet

Post by amulet » Nov 19th, '05, 19:27

I kiked MG but after seeing HYD , i'm totatly in love with it now . Can't wait for next epis.
At first , I think Tsukushi is pretter than MG's , but Tsukasa isn't cute .. :-( but their acting is more atractive that I can't stop love it :wub: I think Jun did the great job now :wub:

And such a long time I didn't see any J-drama . It's the good one that I start to watch J-drama

: :wub:

Malicious_Misery

Post by Malicious_Misery » Nov 23rd, '05, 09:50

arrgg!!! i knew i shouldn't have started meteor garden!!!! i'm halfway through it and i'm so in love with it now...i'm favoring it over hana yori dango.

Chidori-Chan

Post by Chidori-Chan » Nov 23rd, '05, 09:57

MG fans fight back...come on..lol
im not a big MG fan, but i love HYD manga.....
as i said, HYD drama doesn't appear for me... so i don't understands why you guys likes it better...ahh.
Don't u see they got it all messed up...

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Nov 23rd, '05, 22:47

ek ek ek ek.. I know I'll get a couple of "wtf" responses to what I'm about to say.. but I was a huge manga fan!! with that I watched the anime.. then went on to MG .. and now I'm on to the Japan version.. I see that there's a lot of changes made in HYD [jdrama], but that's b/c of their time frame. What are they suppose to do, fill in the whole 9 episodes with every single detail that they had in the manga. Be realistic.. they have NO time!!. And I think that MG nor HYD didn't do Kamio's HYD wrong, each drama is simply trying to incorporate the manga scenes with what each version has been given [Japan with their time frame]. Besides.. how is HYD doing the whole thing wrong?! They're still incorporating the whole plot!! about how Tsukushi falls in love with Rui.. [not sure if this is a spoiler for some...]
Tsukasa shows his love to Tsukushi, which in turn will make Tsukushi fall for him! and ofcourse, you can't forget all of the sacrifices each will have to endure
therefore I don't understand how it screws Kamio's manga up, the same plot is there.. The only difference is not every detail is in the Japan version. [Let's just hope that the important scenes will be shown!]

I personally wished and I'm still hoping that the producers of HYD will get a grip and perhaps break it into two seasons.. but I don't see that happening... I'm sure there are far more expenses in this project than any of us audience can even begin to imagine. Anyway, I love all there is to do with HYD, therefore I can't judge one based on the other. Like I've said in several prev. posts, each brings in their own uniqueness to Kamio's Hana Yori Dango.

Ebony_Hime

Post by Ebony_Hime » Dec 1st, '05, 23:40

I actually placed this review in wrong place. Tee...hee, but here it is.

So I am not sure if this is where you do your review of Hana Yori the Japanese version but um, I'll place here. Anyways, when I learned the Japanese were doing a version, naturally I was VERY excited. I first watched the ( I think Chinese) version of Hana Yri some weeks back and was like Um they sound so different. Since I have only watched anime I was accustomed to the Japanese spoken language, so it took me a minute to get used to the characters. But once I did, it didn't take me long to fall for the boys of F4. Admittedly it took me a little longer to fall for Jerry (the guy who played Tsukasa), but the fact is, I did

So, when I heard about the J version, I was SO EXCITED. I thought who better to play the parts then guys from the country it originated from. This should be awesome. WRONG! OMG!!! What happened? The guys were very average and could hardly be called F4 material. Sorry to any I may offend, but this is just my opinion. Not to mention that everything moved like one huge flash back, taking little time to let us get to fall for the characters. Not that we don't know them already, but any chance to see Tukushi and Tsukasa, is good, just not in the J version of the beloved manga/anime,

In my earnest opinion . if all they were going to create was this jumbled mess, then they could have just not done it at all. The chinese version far exceeds the J version. The Meteor Garden guys, well, look like guys, and not like paper doll cut outs that are so thin they may blow over any minute. On a better note, the J girls were some of the rettiest I've seen and would have done good to be paired with the boys of Meteeor Garden since I found the girls in Meteor Garden as plain as the male counter parts in Hana Yori . In the end, I would give the J version one start and Im being kind. Even if it hasbetter sound and what not, It is not worth the band width it takes to Download.

red velvet

Post by red velvet » Dec 1st, '05, 23:57

I can't understand how some people ar complaining about the Japanese version of HYD is so unrealistic that they would have the entire school get involved into the act. I mean, hello. It was SCHOOL WIDE HAZING. The entire school WAS involved. It makes it that much more serious.

I also like the fact that Tsukasa is much shorter than Rui. It makes them even more different than originally so. Plus, I think that Tsuakasa being so short and still pretty angry and with a big temper fits even more. Kind of like those loud small dogs and big quiet dogs.

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Dec 2nd, '05, 00:04

Yup red_velvet. I agree with you there! He's like a chihuahua!! A cute one at that. I don't know about some people, but I fell in love with the characters [each actor/actress played their part well] in both Hana Yori Dango & Meteor Garden. I have no complaints about anything. They are fine the way they are!

jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jaycee05 » Dec 2nd, '05, 06:47

hmm_yeh wrote:Yup red_velvet. I agree with you there! He's like a chihuahua!!
:lol :lol :lol jun is like a chihuahua!!?? :lol :lol

Ebony_Hime

Post by Ebony_Hime » Dec 2nd, '05, 07:18

jaycee05 wrote:
hmm_yeh wrote:Yup red_velvet. I agree with you there! He's like a chihuahua!!
:lol :lol :lol jun is like a chihuahua!!?? :lol :lol

LMAO! So true. Wait, is that good or bad? :unsure: Either way, he's a bit too wimpy for my liking.

aime

Post by aime » Dec 2nd, '05, 15:15

Ok for someone who never read the manga ... i prefer HYD ... it's way better than MG ... i cant stand the slow pace n such long melodramatic plot *i can skip couple of eps n still didnt get lost* ... it doesnt impressed me that much as the praising ppl gave to MG *guess it's a matter of personal taste* ... n i dun particularly care abt the height the looks watsoever as long as they can act n bring the characters to connect with the audience ... i've never been a fan of matsujun ... but in this drama, i think he's done good job

Swtess

Post by Swtess » Dec 2nd, '05, 16:00

For me, I prefer HYD a lot more than MG. It seems like the production company of MG is milking it for all it's worth. They grab four guys from the street that has the idol material and put them as the leading cast. Their acting is just average or below. And all I hearfrom some of the MG fan is that the guys in MG is far better looking than the guys in HYD.

I really hated the long melodramatic scenes of MG. It was just long and boring. Just my opinion, but I don't find HYD to be too fast paced. It delivers the purpose of the episode and near the end, it introduces the purpose of the next. I don't see how anyone can get lost if they actually sit and watch an episode.

Acting
Definitely no competition. All the actors in HYD has far better acting skills than MG. Even down to the students. The bitchy girls played their roles perfectly, while the two in MG was just...bitchy. The F4's skill in flirting with girls are even much smoother than in MG. They look like high class men that can treat a lady. MG just looks like normal teenage flirting. It's the little things that counts and the production team of MG wasn much of a perfectionist as HYD.

I agree that Jun isn't much of a looker when you first see him, but the guy has CHARISMA. His acting draws people to him, while Jerry's look draws people to him. So it all just depends on preferences.

heppy

Post by heppy » Dec 2nd, '05, 17:38

Swtess wrote:For me, I prefer HYD a lot more than MG. It seems like the production company of MG is milking it for all it's worth. They grab four guys from the street that has the idol material and put them as the leading cast. Their acting is just average or below. And all I hearfrom some of the MG fan is that the guys in MG is far better looking than the guys in HYD.

I really hated the long melodramatic scenes of MG. It was just long and boring. Just my opinion, but I don't find HYD to be too fast paced. It delivers the purpose of the episode and near the end, it introduces the purpose of the next. I don't see how anyone can get lost if they actually sit and watch an episode.

Acting
Definitely no competition. All the actors in HYD has far better acting skills than MG. Even down to the students. The bitchy girls played their roles perfectly, while the two in MG was just...bitchy. The F4's skill in flirting with girls are even much smoother than in MG. They look like high class men that can treat a lady. MG just looks like normal teenage flirting. It's the little things that counts and the production team of MG wasn much of a perfectionist as HYD.

I agree that Jun isn't much of a looker when you first see him, but the guy has CHARISMA. His acting draws people to him, while Jerry's look draws people to him. So it all just depends on preferences.
yeahh i love HYD so much more.. n i don't read the manga.. nor did i watch MG.. ok maybe certain parts.. but IMO, HYD is just much better.. i agree with ur last pt as well.. Jun definitely has that charisma.. he's so CUTE! not good looking.. but way too cute.. =P
the MG's f4 have looks but nth else much.. >.<

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Dec 2nd, '05, 17:48

Jun's a pretty good actor... if he wasn't, he would look ridiculous punching and kicking people, because he weighs about 30 kilos!! I'm enjoying HYD a lot!

Zanbonzakura
Deactivated

Post by Zanbonzakura » Dec 2nd, '05, 19:23

so far, I am loving Hana Yori Dango more than Meteor Garden now. After watching the 6th episode, I am sure Meteor Garden was very draggy.

neena

Post by neena » Dec 2nd, '05, 19:34

hmm...MG or HYD? i'd have to go with HYD. i love Inoue Mao! She is just too cute and her acting is way better then Barbie's. I love her expressions. I think that Jun is doing an awesome job playing Doumyouji Tsukasa. I love his expressions as well. Mao and Jun also have great chemistry on screen which makes HYD even better. MG is one of my favorites too but HYD has stolen me over.

jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jaycee05 » Dec 2nd, '05, 19:47

Swtess wrote: I agree that Jun isn't much of a looker when you first see him, but the guy has CHARISMA. His acting draws people to him.
You bet he HAS charisma...my friend made my auntie watched HYD during a family get-together...and now, my auntie is making me call her everytime an episode comes out so she can come over at our house and watch it. She said, Jun is getting more gorgeous as she sees more of him. Now she understands why "these(us) kids go gaga over these japanese actors." :whistling:

PS: She is 40+ yrs old, married with 3 grown kids :crazy: :lol

red velvet

Post by red velvet » Dec 3rd, '05, 03:37

The thing about Jun is that, at first, I thought he really wasn't all that good looking either, but it's charisma, as others have pointed out, that makes him hotter than life. Like, 'There's Something About Jun." lol

I'm reminded of the time when I first watched GTO. At first I thought the guy who played him wasn't THAT attractive until I started watching more and more of the episodes when I realized that he was just freaking HOTT. I was showing the episodes at our school anime club and they all agreed that there was just something about the way he acts that made me melt.

When I saw that Jun, AND Shun, was in the show I was already expecting good things, but this has been blowing my mind. I do have to admit that watching punch people down IS pretty hilarious, but he did do it in Gokusen as well, but I think the funny factor are those ridiculous outfits he wears. Like, in episode 6 he had on that dead raccoon over his shoulders. lol

arcticbleue

Post by arcticbleue » Dec 3rd, '05, 06:27

Da jap actors are just as hot ... esp hanazawa rui and tsukasa ... OOh hotties!! I love their clothes 2 .. (esp rui's =P) they look so classy .... but i think tsukasa's a bit soft ... he should be angrier ...!!! Jun should put on more make up .. i can see acne!! I like both MG and HYD but it's like MG is really sLOWW and draggy (i couldn't finish MG2 .. 2 sLOW) ... but when u watch HYD the story is sOo quick!! everything seems rushed... am i the only one who feels this way???

draco

Post by draco » Dec 3rd, '05, 07:51

I like the tai ver. better...
I think Matsujun is better suited to play hanazawa rui role instead of domyoji.. and as for domyoji hayami mokomichi maybe a better choice?

jtlangel

Post by jtlangel » Dec 3rd, '05, 08:55

kinki wrote:its too early to make comaprison since we only watched 1 ep of the Japanese "Hanadan"

to be frank.....i didnt like Meteor Garden (Taiwanese version) although i watched it all.
i think Japanese will portray this story better since the actors/actresses in the Japanese version are more skillful than Taiwanes actors/actresses.

also, the Taiwanes F4 was all about the look and thats it, i didnt see any skillful acting at all.
i totally agree with you. Hana Yori Dango is wayy better.. F4 in the tawainese version, the actors can not act as well as the japanese actors. Tawainese people do not really care about good acting, or actors are not as well-trained, or just not talented lol... Although I have to admit, f4 was not entirely bad, I have seen worst tawainese actors. I cried so much watching Hana Yori Dango while in the Meteor Garden i was like okay. who cares? The most i got from the tawainese version was the basic storyline in which they did really close to the manga. ...but I did not experience any feelings when I watched the tawainese drama.

Oguri Shun is HOT as Rui.... omg he plays that character really well.

Also, I'm so use to watching anime, so that is why i really liked the j version cuz the actors seems so anime like.. especially when the mean girls laughed at MAkino... they had that evil anime laugh..

Some people say the japanese actors are not F-4 material??? In my opinion they are perfect F-4 material. In anime, guys are usually drawn, tall, lanky, and skinny. The japanese actors also has the anime hair. In Tawanese version, Dou Ming Si or whatever is suppose to have curly hair, never once did he have that hair. The japanese actors also act anime-like. Really depends on the audience and the type of guys they like. I think tawainese f4 are ugly.. that is cuz i'm so use to looking at hot korean guys and pretty handsome skinny japanese guys.
Last edited by jtlangel on Dec 3rd, '05, 09:11, edited 3 times in total.

ayafanatic
Deactivated

Post by ayafanatic » Dec 3rd, '05, 08:58

Taiwan version of Hana Yori Dango/Meteor Garden is just draggy. Hana Yori Dango on the other hand is really good!

Shizuru

Post by Shizuru » Dec 3rd, '05, 09:03

jaycee05 wrote:
Swtess wrote: I agree that Jun isn't much of a looker when you first see him, but the guy has CHARISMA. His acting draws people to him.
You bet he HAS charisma...my friend made my auntie watched HYD during a family get-together...and now, my auntie is making me call her everytime an episode comes out so she can come over at our house and watch it. She said, Jun is getting more gorgeous as she sees more of him. Now she understands why "these(us) kids go gaga over these japanese actors." :whistling:

PS: She is 40+ yrs old, married with 3 grown kids :crazy: :lol
One cool untie you got there :mrgreen:

angelic_poring

Post by angelic_poring » Dec 4th, '05, 00:11

to those who say that mg is slow paced.. it's true it does get frustrating.. but that's the way the original is.. if u've read the manga.. u'd realise that it DOES take them that long to get together and it DOES take that long for makino to realise she loves tsukasa.. the hyd series is way too fast paced.. i mean.. 9 episodes to demonstrate tsukasa and tsukushi's relationship when the manga has 36 volumes?? Thigns happen so fast that when episode 5 came and tsukasa went to save her.. it all just seemed awkward. I couldn't feel the same attachment i felt for doumyouji as in the manga.. their relationship is progressing too fast.. way too fast.. it doesn't seem to retain the hyd feel anymore.. mayb those who've read the manga will understand wut i mean...

and for those who say that the japanese actors are.. eum.. better looking and are.. "handsome skinny japanese guys" ........................ no comment... sure.. fit is good.. but not.. skinny to the point where.. bleh i'm not gonna get there. And someone mentioned that the mg daomingsi didn't have curly hair.. as a matter of fact he did. At the beginning of the series he always had curly hair and thats why everyone laughed at him.. but later on, yea, his hair wuzn't curly anymore cuz he wuz fed up with having his hair done for hours just to make it that way.
oh.. and one last thing.. someone said that jun is a good actor and if not, he'd look ridiculous punchign and kicking people.. as a matter of fact.. i found it terribly fake when he wuz beating ppl up.. i admit his acting his good.. but... the beating up parts are really one of his biggest flaws in acting in this series :P

sidenote: about the guy in gto being an excellent actor, i absolutely agree. Although he's not that attractive, his acting and his personality in general definately makes up for it! he's amazing ^___^ hehe

jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jaycee05 » Dec 4th, '05, 00:56

(gomen rjen, but I cant help myself)
angelic_poring wrote:to those who say that mg is slow paced.. it's true it does get frustrating..
Definitely... it was torture...I'll give it to to the first 2 episodes...but after that, it was just a floP.
but that's the way the original is.. if u've read the manga.. u'd realise that it DOES take them that long to get together and it DOES take that long for makino to realise she loves tsukasa..
It's different than the manga. The manga has all this fillers, but when it gets to the good stuff, you'll say that it was worth going through all that waiting...It's really that good even if everything was just on paper.
But in MG...when you finally see the parts you've been waiting for...they're all pukingly melodramatic, corny, awkward(blame it on the bad acting), and disappointing. It's not slow pace...I would rather feel sleepy and bored watching a slow paced drama, but MG made me feel all this sorts of feelings that I came close to blowing my screen up...
the hyd series is way too fast paced.. i mean.. 9 episodes to demonstrate tsukasa and tsukushi's relationship when the manga has 36 volumes?? Thigns happen so fast that when episode 5 came and tsukasa went to save her.. it all just seemed awkward. I couldn't feel the same attachment i felt for doumyouji as in the manga.. their relationship is progressing too fast.. way too fast.. it doesn't seem to retain the hyd feel anymore.. mayb those who've read the manga will understand wut i mean...
That is an old and used up complaint...It's not really a question of re-producing the manga page by page, some already said that the writer included stuff that the story could do without and I agree. But ask yourself after watching an ep of HYD...is it good? I, for one, think that it is damn good...I applaud the Japanese people on how they organize and put together a story. I am really impressed how they are working on HYD. IMO, you feel a sense of loyalty towards MG, and unfortunately, that would just ruin the jdorama version for you.
and for those who say that the japanese actors are.. eum.. better looking and are.. "handsome skinny japanese guys" ........................ no comment... sure.. fit is good.. but not.. skinny to the point where..
It's really a matter of preference...I dont think Ken from F4 fits the F4 criteria at all...they(TW F4) dont look like a bunch of guys that you're supposedly kiss the ground they walk on/or get scared of.
As for Akira and Soujiro(in the jdrama) they weren't a looker at first glance...it must be their acting or their input in the drama...coz, heck...I am getting more excited to see them get bigger parts on the future episodes.
HYD manga was situated during the early nineties...and MG was shoot during...what, 2000? They(whoever made MG) should have at least taken the initiative to shift the fashion era...coz it definitely didnt do MG good.
And someone mentioned that the mg daomingsi didn't have curly hair.. as a matter of fact he did. At the beginning of the series he always had curly hair and thats why everyone laughed at him.. but later on, yea, his hair wuzn't curly anymore cuz he wuz fed up with having his hair done for hours just to make it that way.
If you check out Dao Ming si's hair, I wouldnt say it is curly...It looked like as if it was swept upward and held by mousse or some sticky gel along with his bandana, lol

ms_lala

Post by ms_lala » Dec 4th, '05, 01:03

i liked both..and hummm..everyone says that the jap one is more serious..but i actually thought it was more exagerated and funny than the taiwanese one..the tai one dragged on soo much and lasted much longer than it should have..the jap one just went to the point..and it was funny at the same time..the f4 guys in taiwanese one looks a ton better tho..but the girl in the jap one is a better acttress and much much prettier than sancai..

snoopy22

Post by snoopy22 » Dec 4th, '05, 01:05

me too, I love both

Ebony_Hime

Post by Ebony_Hime » Dec 4th, '05, 04:38

angelic_poring wrote:to those who say that mg is slow paced.. it's true it does get frustrating.. but that's the way the original is.. if u've read the manga.. u'd realise that it DOES take them that long to get together and it DOES take that long for makino to realise she loves tsukasa.. the hyd series is way too fast paced.. i mean.. 9 episodes to demonstrate tsukasa and tsukushi's relationship when the manga has 36 volumes?? Thigns happen so fast that when episode 5 came and tsukasa went to save her.. it all just seemed awkward. I couldn't feel the same attachment i felt for doumyouji as in the manga.. their relationship is progressing too fast.. way too fast.. it doesn't seem to retain the hyd feel anymore.. mayb those who've read the manga will understand wut i mean...

and for those who say that the japanese actors are.. eum.. better looking and are.. "handsome skinny japanese guys" ........................ no comment... sure.. fit is good.. but not.. skinny to the point where.. bleh i'm not gonna get there. And someone mentioned that the mg daomingsi didn't have curly hair.. as a matter of fact he did. At the beginning of the series he always had curly hair and thats why everyone laughed at him.. but later on, yea, his hair wuzn't curly anymore cuz he wuz fed up with having his hair done for hours just to make it that way.
oh.. and one last thing.. someone said that jun is a good actor and if not, he'd look ridiculous punchign and kicking people.. as a matter of fact.. i found it terribly fake when he wuz beating ppl up.. i admit his acting his good.. but... the beating up parts are really one of his biggest flaws in acting in this series :P

sidenote: about the guy in gto being an excellent actor, i absolutely agree. Although he's not that attractive, his acting and his personality in general definately makes up for it! he's amazing ^___^ hehe

Agrees Whole heartedly, and it's not a matter of loyalty to one or the other it's matter of the J version being done half buttedly (not even sure if thats a word LMAO!) :whistling: . For HYD to be the GREAT manga it was it deserves more than a brief nine ep flash back which is what the J version amounts too.

Yeah, it has pretty props, and better sound system, but in my opinion the guys in HYD are OVER dressed eventhough Tsukasa and the other boys were practically made of money, they still dressed like normal human beings. You know Jeans, and what not. Furthermore, neither group of boys were ALL that, but if I had to choose, I'd go with the Taiwan F4 skin and bones is not flattering at all.

Last, while I can apprecite the J version it can hardly be called the BEST. It reads like cliff notes for heavens sake. It had potential, but it fell short of reaching that potential for me. in truth neither version can be called the BEST because both fell short on some level.

nightfire

Post by nightfire » Dec 4th, '05, 04:48

i never watched meteor garden , but im going to download ep 1 :p
ill tell u then ..
still that i really love hana yori dango :D

amulet

Post by amulet » Dec 4th, '05, 12:13

I love the both of them . but now i prefer to HYD , really love the way they did, the story 's fast but it's very interesting in each episoder , :wub:

hinako442003
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by hinako442003 » Dec 5th, '05, 00:10

I haven't watched MG, but based on my previous experience with other Taiwanese idol dramas (like Marmalade Boy)... I would say that the acting looks ridiculous. They literally act like comic characters and the way they make the drama looks that way too (sets, props).
Currently watching HYD and I like it a lot. Japanese men tend to be of smaller build, which I've come to accept (since my Takki is that way too :P). I appreciate their acting, and the way the drama is filmed. I actually appreciate the short length. Most of the time, the boring parts are there to explain and bridge the exciting parts. Sometimes you don't need all that fillers; as long as you can see the points being implied, it'd be all good. I read the manga, and it was a bit of a pain to go through all of it. I also watched the anime, and I skimmed through that too. Plus the way I usually watch drama is fast forwarding half of it... I'm so glad I don't have to do the same this time.

nightfire

Post by nightfire » Dec 5th, '05, 00:59

Hinako442003 , depend the drama, i watched a taiwanese drama which is : peach girl :p
wasn't so hilarous :)
it was good :)
i think taiwanese can make good drama too ^^
even if they have their style ;D

amulet

Post by amulet » Dec 5th, '05, 12:08

I heard that" Marmalade Boy" isn't the good drama . You can try "Devil beside you" or" It started with a kiss " . both of them are funny . :wub:
But sometimes Ithought that the TW actors are very good-looking but didn't know how to act :crazy:

koalachan

Post by koalachan » Dec 5th, '05, 12:26

I would say the taiwanese version is dragging!! a lot of unnecessary fillers which are boring.

The best example now is ''it started with a kiss' taiwanese version......drags and drags!

*Lifo*

Post by *Lifo* » Dec 5th, '05, 18:07

No way ! HYD IS NO.1 2 ME !! :cheers:

cUz ThE ChArCHtERS r better .. than the ones in meteor garden ne..?? :whistling:

Ahiko

Post by Ahiko » Dec 6th, '05, 06:49

From JDorama.com, HYD's producer is considering a continuation of season 1 with the popular demand of the series. :)
sumoboy wrote:Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:55 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi I was reading the message from the producer on the TBS HYD homepage. He says that he is happy and encouraged to receive so many letters from the fans, but as for having a part 2 or special, it depends on what TBS management decides later on. In the meantime, he said that the final episode will have a 15min special. What i don't understand is - is this a 15 min extra added to the final episode or a 15 min special apart from the final episode???

Anyone?? Here is the extract from the HP:

最後に…
ささやかではありますが、最終回は15分枠大スペシャルですので、どうぞお楽しみに!!
The comments can be found here:

http://www.tbs.co.jp/hanayoridango/news3.html

Jelithe

Post by Jelithe » Dec 7th, '05, 12:08

I like Meteor Garden 1 but MG 2 is really boring. I hope they make HYD 2 more interesting.

v1rgi3

Post by v1rgi3 » Dec 8th, '05, 12:56

angelic_poring wrote:to those who say that mg is slow paced.. it's true it does get frustrating.. but that's the way the original is.. if u've read the manga.. u'd realise that it DOES take them that long to get together and it DOES take that long for makino to realise she loves tsukasa.. the hyd series is way too fast paced.. i mean.. 9 episodes to demonstrate tsukasa and tsukushi's relationship when the manga has 36 volumes?? Thigns happen so fast that when episode 5 came and tsukasa went to save her.. it all just seemed awkward. I couldn't feel the same attachment i felt for doumyouji as in the manga.. their relationship is progressing too fast.. way too fast.. it doesn't seem to retain the hyd feel anymore.. mayb those who've read the manga will understand wut i mean...

i agree to most of the stuff said... i prefer the taiwanese version... its more comical and manga like, and HYD is more serious and drama like...
in HYD, i have a thing about the casting... i would have liked f4 to be taller and less skinny, and rui's old crush (the model/ wants to be lawyer) does nothing for me... (she's a model, but not tall? and she doesn't look jap, or that pretty, tho gorgegous in those billboards)

and lastly, i did think that domyoji found out he liked makino way too soon... he's suppose to be oblivious about it and stuff isn't it? somehow i wasn't as wrapped up in their love story as i was in mg. and in mg, the personalities were more distinct; while in HYD rui is alot nicer, less distant and less harsh to makino.

BUT, maybe if i saw the jap version before the tw version. my opinion would be diff... who knows? oh acting wise... HYD was definitely better... back then members of f4 could not act for life... lol :w00t:

pifernac

meteor garden

Post by pifernac » Dec 9th, '05, 23:04

Hello....
Anybody knows where I can find "Meteor garden" for download?
In some page called "jem" or something like that was a meteor garden ", but I want to see the one.
please help me....

:salut:

capucine

Post by capucine » Dec 10th, '05, 11:13

Hm~
For me, I prefer HYD coz,
1. I prefer J-dramas.
2. I think high-school scene match for HYD storyline.
3. I have ever seen MG for few time, it didn't hook me as HYD.

Malicious_Misery

Post by Malicious_Misery » Dec 10th, '05, 14:00

i definitely prefer Meteor Garden over HYD. as angelice_poring mentioned, in the the japanese drama, domyouji's feelings for tsukushi developed way too fast, it's almost unbelievable. in meteor garden, the actors fit the characters VERY well. i was so impressed by how close the actors personalities were to the characters. although the f4 in MG didn't look as "rich or hot" as they should like the f4 in HYD, i looked passed that after a few episodes. All the characters grew on me fast, i just couldn't stop watching it. i was able to fninish the series in about a week, and saw every minute of it. While in HYD, i was skimming through the episodes cuz it got boring after a while :whistling: it just didn't hold a candle to MG.
:pray: :clap: :cheers: :heart:

mana

Post by mana » Dec 11th, '05, 07:21

i can't handle MG...for the fact that tawain always have this anti-japanese thing and all they do is produce japanese stories? It's like taiwan can't think of their own story..and what get me angry is that the mangaka can not decline their offer because its up to the company to decide.

Why is it called METEOR GARDEN? Isn't the story called (in english) Boys over Flower? I dunno i got the whole set of mg and what made me dislike it most...was the big...dramatic 'weed power' barbie kept displaying. Like i read the manga..i dont see her going.."weed power" every chapter (episode).

As for Tsukasa hair....mg just sorta wanted to focus on this bunch of good looking guys..tsukasa meant to have that ugly hairstyle through out the whole story..yes 36 volume...and did tsukasa (daomingsi) from mg achieve this?

I just think 9 episodes is enough...like most japanese drama dont drag on long...unlike taiwan series. If you have read the manga everything is connected prefectly...sanjou is a combined of 3 characters in the manga: the girl that hit into domyouji at the start, sanjou sakarako that she is and the the guy that wanted revenage against domyouji. Look at the drama closely and you'll see others...for i have only pinpoint out only 1. Also the drama is long..45 mins...and mg...i dont know..each ep was short and didnt capture my attention to watch the next. Did they even read the manga? Dunno..but MatsuJun did...that is called a good actor..researching his character.
I am clearly dispointed in taiwans series making coz there are so many from japanese manga! "It started with a kiss" with takashi kashiwabara is so much better (a classic)

Also MatsuJun is better fitted for the character because jerry yan is too manly in my opinion. Inoe is a good makino...barbie just looked old and always do this glaring thing. Like at the piano part..she meant to look afraid of tsukasa mother but instead she sorta glared...and have the bitchy look.

Malicious_Misery thinks that the character in the taiwan series is more fitted..i disagree....ken doesn't look like a playboy..but instead a good boy...zaizai just played quiet the whole time..or played himself half the time...rui is more mysterious..and do often have the weird smile. Barbie is like....gee....no comment (i find her the worse among the characters)

The question is..do you just like Mg for the good looking guys or the story? Coz seriously they couldn't act and the props and scenary just didnt look good.
For one i like Hana Yori Dango much more than Meteor Garden!!!!!!

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Dec 11th, '05, 08:39

mana wrote:i can't handle MG...for the fact that tawain always have this anti-japanese thing and all they do is produce japanese stories? It's like taiwan can't think of their own story..and what get me angry is that the mangaka can not decline their offer because its up to the company to decide.
"Anti-Japanese"? Taiwan? Uhhh...no....
Native Taiwanese are probably the most pro-Japanese ppl in the Asia Pacific rim... O_o;;
The fact that they produce dramas based on Japanese manga is only proof of that. Taiwan is a pretty small place (pop 22.8 million) with a very small, but growing film industry (meaning production quality will of course not be really great b/c it is still in its infancy)...They do have other dramas, but it's only recently that these light-hearted dramas based off of Japanese dramas using young stars has become popular -- just at a time when it's become easy to access these shows through the internet...

Besides, how do you know that the mangaka didn't want it to be serialized in another country? Especially if your own wasn't doing anything? Yeesh....
:glare:

rokkon

Post by rokkon » Dec 11th, '05, 16:09

I think it would be interesting to include whether this is your first, second, third, fourth, or even fifth introduction to the HYD story. (can you believe there have been that many versions of this story?) manga, anime, HYD live action movie, Meteor Garden, and HYD Drama (let's forget about MG2 and Meteor Rain for now)

I recently got into a discussion the other day, and I came to the conclusion that those who read the manga and enjoyed it first, tended to enjoy the HYD drama more than MG. However, those of us who watched the anime first, tended to gravitate more to MG. Of course, I have no data for those who only watch drama, so that's why I'd find your input interesting. :D

In my opinion, it's a little unfair to judge the HYD drama until it's completely finished, but for the most part I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, most of the female cast is pretty cute. :lol On the other hand, however, I find that some of the characters differ enough from the other incarnations that I feel that we should treat this as a whole new interpretation of the story or a total miscasting of certain characters.

For me, Oguri Shun is the most different from what you would expect. His version of Hanazawa Rui is vastly different from the manga, anime, and even Meteor Garden versions of the character. He's not introverted like he is in other versions, and I think that sort of ruins the comparison of his character and MatsuJun's.

In addition, I feel like Sada Mayumi does not feel like Toudou Shizuka to me. She does not look Japanese, but what really bugs me about her is that she doesn't really exhibit the quality that Shizuka should have. To me she doesn't come off as genuine and regal. Maybe it's just because of her appearance and the fact that I feel it doesn't match up with her character's background, I guess that's just my bias though. :whistling:

Although, many of the other characters seemed to be well cast. Satou Megumi is practically perfect for Sakurako. Kaga Mariko isn't bad as Doumyouji's mother. Matsushima Nanako isn't bad as Tsubaki either.

Other things I think are pretty well done are the fact that Akira and Soujirou are more fleshed out as characters on their own. This was a problem in the first MG, and also in the anime to a large extent. Also, the acting is generally better than MG on the whole.

However, I feel like MG has certain things right that the HYD drama is missing. While I don't feel like MatsuJun is miscast as Doumyouji, I do feel he doesn't exhibit the same kind of manliness that Jerry did as Daoming Si. While the Doumyouji character has never been burly perse, he always looked like he could at least protect Makino. Unfortunately, to all you MatsuJun fans out there :P , Matsu's Doumyouji doesn't really come off in that way. He doesn't look believable, if only because he's fairly skinny.

Other things I feel are better are that Sancai's parents and Daoming's mother both fit the manga/anime almost perfectly, IMO. MG is also slower paced and follows the story and lets it build, so I think that's what really gives MG the leg up for me. In the beginning, my biggest gripe with the HYD Drama was that it felt like there was no chemistry between the cast, but now I'm not so sure that was the case.

I'll say one last thing though, at least Inoue Mao can run, the worst scenes in MG (and MG2) were when Barbie had to run. :crazy:

flcia

Post by flcia » Dec 13th, '05, 08:22

when i watched MG i was totally hooked...but somehow now i like HYD more maybe because it has a more cheerful atmosphere and better effects? i dunno :scratch: ...

but anyway i think what makes HYD different than MG is that it approached the story from a Japanese perspective while MG from Taiwanese...obviously...i guess people who prefers japanese drama would enjoy HYD more and vice versa :lol !

xiaowanzi

Post by xiaowanzi » Dec 13th, '05, 17:45

Hmmm...

personal preference... yar~ i do like HYD more. Not because that it has arashi's member's cast... just that i enjoyed e drama a lot... like i enjoyed hyd's manga.

I didnt watch MG cos' it kinda turned me off... i dun like F4 so i dun wanna c 'em. heehee. Maybe if itz not after all e F4 stirs, i will watch though...

RuiHanazawa

Post by RuiHanazawa » Dec 13th, '05, 21:45

i agree with HYD better just because the lead roles and the sub roles got awesome actors/actress's. also if i wasnt mistaken this was originally from the japanese manga how did the chinese people take their stories and made it into a show. anyhow there is just something different from HYD from MG maybe its from the directors perspective that makes it better :)

ana ^-^

Post by ana ^-^ » Dec 13th, '05, 22:05

hmmm i think i will change my mind :scratch:

i liked MG :cheers: more

beldaran

Post by beldaran » Dec 13th, '05, 22:57

short notes on this post.. just because i don't feel like organizing my thoughts on which incarnation of hana yori dango i like better (and yes, i've seen the anime, read the manga, seen the movie, seen the taiwanese drama, and am now watching the jdrama)
mana wrote:i can't handle MG...for the fact that tawain always have this anti-japanese thing and all they do is produce japanese stories? It's like taiwan can't think of their own story..and what get me angry is that the mangaka can not decline their offer because its up to the company to decide.
if i remember correctly, kamio-sensei noted favorably on the airing of meteor garden.. not to mention it was wildly popular all over asia, so it would be hard to say that MG *hurt* publicity for the series.. XD

on the one hand, the anti-japanese sentiment mostly comes from mainland china.. taiwan is a supporter of japan, afaik... though this is the case, the taiwanese actors still tread the ground slowly; they are entrenched for chinese entertainment, after all..
mana wrote:Why is it called METEOR GARDEN? Isn't the story called (in english) Boys over Flower? I dunno i got the whole set of mg and what made me dislike it most...was the big...dramatic 'weed power' barbie kept displaying. Like i read the manga..i dont see her going.."weed power" every chapter (episode).
all translations of any title is bound for some liberal translation. hell, the manga called "POWER!!!" (written in english) became "GIRL GOT GAME" when it came to the u.s.... the american movie "where the heart is" received a different title when it showed in japan...
mana wrote: I am clearly dispointed in taiwans series making coz there are so many from japanese manga! "It started with a kiss" with takashi kashiwabara is so much better (a classic)
lol. i absolutely love kashiwabara... but i like ariel lin better than sato aiko.. sato aiko drove me insane after the first 5 mins.. her portrayal of kotoko is about 5 times exaggerated, shrieking included (i never envisioned kotoko from the manga shrieking.. yelling, yes.. shrieking, no...).. then again, ariel lin's portrayal dumbed her down 5 times.. XD
mana wrote:Also MatsuJun is better fitted for the character because jerry yan is too manly in my opinion. Inoe is a good makino...barbie just looked old and always do this glaring thing. Like at the piano part..she meant to look afraid of tsukasa mother but instead she sorta glared...and have the bitchy look.
i wholeheartedly agree that inoue is a good makino.. a great makino.. i love her and her little nuances for saying "heh?" although i go with the jerry crowd on the casting for matsujun.. my sister, who does not read manga or watch anime but LOVES hana yori dango, has also commented that he just doesn't look convincing enough to be able to beat up anybody.. ^^; (i can't believe she remembered that detail; she hadn't seen it since the tape subs were just freshly done)

and ok.. so i guess i'll put in a penny instead of my two cents..

cast:
meteor garden = guys are better looking, but their acting was so-so.. i do love the way jerry looked at barbie, though..
hana yori dango = girls are better looking (haha).. and inoue being made up by shizuka really does look better/improved.. whereas barbie's character didn't really change when they put the dress on her.. acting is WAY better, though.. although i think it's odd that inoue's character as our hardworking virgin mostly eats while she's working... XD

barbie hsu vs inoue mao = inoue mao all the way!! XD like i said above, i love it when she goes "heh?" (with even a tilt of the head)

zaizai vs oguri shun = love 'em both! oguri shun has more of rui's mysterious smile... zaizai has the mysterious silence.. and the laziness. XD

makino's parents = definitely like the japanese portrayal better.. ^^;

sound:
hana yori dango has better sound quality. taiwanese dramas haven't gone far enough to do noise filtering on their recordings, i guess. voice fades off in random parts, mostly due to their surroundings. jdramas in general have better placement for bgm.

music:
love the music for both.. although i must say that ootsuka ai's planetarium has just the perfect feel for those crucial moments in the story...

length/plot comparison:
it doesn't matter as much to me, as long as the themes are faithful, and the story remains close. i'm rather happy with how both of them followed the original.. although, yeah.. i loved the way hanadan started a lot better.. these latter parts of the jdrama aren't capturing my attention as much, but oh, well.. i could go either way.. depending on my mood.

extras:
the extra stuff.. the stuff that varied in mg, and the supporting characters, were fairly plain for the most part.. i love how the jdrama made the supporting characters more interesting.. like okami-san.. and the funny way in which the f3 interact...

i really don't think that meteor garden should be judged against just because it was a taiwanese rendition of something that was originally japanese. howl's moving castle and the legends of earthsea are definitely not japanese to begin with, and yet both are ghibli films (well, earthsea is upcoming).. yet, there is still a lot of love for them.. anne of green gables and peter pan were also turned into anime for the world masterpiece theatre, those came with good acclaim.. there really shouldn't be anything wrong with a foreign production of a local original.. or vice versa.. as long as all parties agree.

btw, i did not vote on the poll... you can't make me. >__<

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Dec 14th, '05, 00:04

mizune wrote:Besides, how do you know that the mangaka didn't want it to be serialized in another country? Especially if your own wasn't doing anything?
I can't tell wheather or not Taiwan is pro-Japan or the other way around, but I certainly do know that they promote for Meteor Garden in the Hanadan FF Character Book (yes, the original, published by Margaret). So it shouldn't really bother them. That aside, even though MG really isn't anything on a high level it still pretty much follows the Hanadan storyline which can be only good for Kamio-sensei as more popularity also means to sell more copies.

I must say that I voted in this poll for the J-drama about almost 2 months ago and I'm probably still of the opinion due to the excellent cinematography, the brilliant screenwriters and especially the good acting BUT even with all this I just can't really seem to enjoy the story. Like (I think) angelic_poring said it's so rushed you cannot even get a feeling for the characters. It's just like:
- Doumyouji = worst guy ever.
- Doumyouji gets a lame punch (you can tell me what you want but I think the scene was lame with Tsukushi OBVIOUSLY preparing herself for punching him and Doumyouji stupidly waiting for her fist to meet his chin, duh).
- Doumyouji loses all his bad characteristics (out of the blue) and is madly in love with her. (It took him only 2 episodes to about-face.)

The scriptwriters can combine various characters and happenings as well as they want, I just don't find it romantic like that. The characters didn't really grow on me and I cannot go for the eyecandy either since the F4 (as someone else pointed out before) are too thin and (sorry) effeminate that I could find them attractive. At least Shun and Jun are (though I've seen them totally different before), as for Akira: not my type, and Soujiro: cute but way not interesting enough. Well, they all do have their moments but those aren't simply enough for me.
All in all I think it isn't some great story that makes the Hanadan magic but exactly the long-winded ever and ever in circles going story that gives you the "Greyhound Day" feeling: You only want things to end and for a change to come, and even though there seems to happen the same each time, it's still always new to you, so eventually without knowing it yourself you actually start to wish for the exact oposite - that the story goes on forever. :D
Last edited by Kathleen on Dec 14th, '05, 00:46, edited 1 time in total.

aibakaneko

Post by aibakaneko » Dec 14th, '05, 00:12

TOTALLY HANA YORi Dango.. i think MG is kinda Kinky... hahahha