Proud or embarrassed at your addiction to Drama?

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
daalig

Proud or embarrassed at your addiction to Drama?

Post by daalig » Nov 29th, '05, 03:53

I was thinking, back in the days when I watched Anime all the time, I would keep this addiction of mine from friends,family or workmates, somewhat embarrassed. If the topic arose of what were my hobbies, I'd try to make something up!

Every since the switch to drama, I noticed I proudly enjoy admitting I have what would seem to other people as a weird liking to something they don't know about. I don't know if it's because nobody knows what I'm talking about, or there's no misconeptions of drama yet in the mainstream.

So, when someone asks you what you do in your spare time, do you proudly say you watch asian dramas. Or you mumble and think of something better? I even clarify that I like the romantic ones better, and I'm a guy! :lol

K.T.Tran

Post by K.T.Tran » Nov 29th, '05, 04:00

I proudly say it. Drama has been a big part of my life recently. Especially J-dorama.

If it wasn't for Jdoramas, I wouldn't have gotten to watch many good series, gotten to see good actors and actresses, and wouldn't have anything to practice my japanese.

Shizuru

Post by Shizuru » Nov 29th, '05, 04:04

I proudly say it to since its really not that weird of a hobbie here at my hometown :P

blackstarjr

Post by blackstarjr » Nov 29th, '05, 04:04

Well to me I have always been proud of my addiction to Anime, even now I am addicted.When I got into doramas, at first I thought I wouldn't be addicted but as time went by I became addicted.

sidenote: The word "embarrassed" doesn't tmean a thing to me.hehehe

Poochy

Post by Poochy » Nov 29th, '05, 04:12

Embarassed, but mostly because I spent more time leeching than actually watching :(.

flynvballer

Post by flynvballer » Nov 29th, '05, 04:26

hahah everyone knows im addicted to both drama and anime, its not just me a lot of people are. I've gotten a bunch of my TOUGH guy friends liking it too. They all say the.. its gay waste of time crap but once they watch it, their life is over as well so I let the whole WORLD Know, i try to spread the hidden addiction of dramas and anime.

Me and my friends on our RESUME have ANIME as one of our extracurricular activities lol!

LadieDrmz

Post by LadieDrmz » Nov 29th, '05, 04:38

I'm not embarrassed to say I'm addicted to anime, or drama. My friends all know I'm crazy about both, and that's just how I am. :lol It's just something that they know I just love to watch. :-)

xLilVietDevilx

Post by xLilVietDevilx » Nov 29th, '05, 04:38

i tell my friends i watch :] and they sometimes watch too (well the korean ones LOL) n e wayz yea its all good >:] dont b embarassed! even though people are like LOL WHY DO U WATCH DRAMAS, DID SOMEBODY GET HIT BY A CAR? LOL... im just like Y YES THEY DID LOL >:] c?

bone-doll
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by bone-doll » Nov 29th, '05, 04:45

flynvballer wrote:They all say the.. its gay waste of time crap but once they watch it, their life is over as well
LMAO. Are you saying you can't have a life if you watch anime/dramas? LOL

Well.. I don't proudly say it, nor am I embarrassed by it. But all my friends and family and... well everyone who knows me, knows that I watch dramas and that I'm obsessed with Korea. LOL. But then again, everyone also knows I'm fickle and I have many obsessions, so I guess they believed it won't last more than a year (at most) which is true since I have now moved on to Japan. :D

blackstarjr

Post by blackstarjr » Nov 29th, '05, 04:54

flynvballer wrote: Me and my friends on our RESUME have ANIME as one of our extracurricular activities lol!
lol..so do I..and it's my #1 on my list on my resume under activities :D

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Nov 29th, '05, 05:01

Currently have a roomie who is studying English before taking on some quite high flying plans of studies that requires being fluent in English.

Needless to say, he's been complaining a lot lately about probably knowing better Japanese after his stay with me :doh:

Well, well, I finally got through though. He asked me to get him a copy of "Ai no Uta" yesterday and he says it might at least help improve his reading English in the sub titles :whistling:

So I guess I'm one of the proud ones XD

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Nov 29th, '05, 05:04

Better than saying you're addicted to Hello! Project... :fear:
Oh, wait...

flynvballer

Post by flynvballer » Nov 29th, '05, 05:31

bone-doll wrote:
flynvballer wrote:They all say the.. its gay waste of time crap but once they watch it, their life is over as well
LMAO. Are you saying you can't have a life if you watch anime/dramas? LOL

Well.. I don't proudly say it, nor am I embarrassed by it. But all my friends and family and... well everyone who knows me, knows that I watch dramas and that I'm obsessed with Korea. LOL. But then again, everyone also knows I'm fickle and I have many obsessions, so I guess they believed it won't last more than a year (at most) which is true since I have now moved on to Japan. :D
what i mean is that i give up a lot of things to watch my dramas and anime, especiallY SLEEP!!.... JOhn u wanna come out?? no i dont, i gotta watch my drama! its better than goin to the movies and its free.

Kage Musha

Post by Kage Musha » Nov 29th, '05, 05:35

Not embarrased! My mpm watches drama's like crazy as well, give her some and she'll watch them all the whole day lol
as well with my friends, they download drama's like crazy :P

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » Nov 29th, '05, 05:38

For me its a mixture of both. Only some of my closest friends and family know of my addiction and tease me unmercilessly about it as they say I don't watch anything without subtitles anymore, have conversation or hobbies that revolve around anything else, and even now only receive mail in foreign languages. Though its true, I'm not quick to mention any of this to other people as even when I make only slight references to things I watch, I get the weirdest looks. :lol

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Nov 29th, '05, 05:52

Same here.. a mixture of both. I don't mind my close relatives and friends knowing of my addiction, but when it comes to my job. I'd prefer to leave out these details. However, they do know of my addiction to asian dramas, they just don't know I'm usually on the site following up on everything. G'yea...

alvy

Post by alvy » Nov 29th, '05, 05:55

I'm a proud addict. :thumleft:

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » Nov 29th, '05, 06:01

I don't make a big point of mentioning it, but I'm not ashamed of it when it comes up. However, it's usually laughed off as one of my weird quirks :P

gsr_raver

Post by gsr_raver » Nov 29th, '05, 06:13

4 me, everybody know i loved animes, but never consider myself to be otaku.

If it wasn't for dramas esp JDramas, i won't be having insomnia!! but still don't mind..!

Last year i had a roomate who hated Anime or Drama, everything i would talk about it to my other friends or family.. if it was ANime he woudl always say all "i hear is PokeMon this PokeMon that" , when i talk about Drama he would says "man they sucks, because it too long"...... GOSh i felt like Kicking his :crazy: up... :cussing: :cussing:
Last edited by gsr_raver on Nov 29th, '05, 06:40, edited 1 time in total.

aNiX

Post by aNiX » Nov 29th, '05, 06:16

Proud of it. Even thought none of my friends are really a drama addict.. They just watch becuase it's good. But for me.. I have like 120 torrents in queue right now... connecting to 160gb external enclosure (I'm afraid if I downlaod it later.. there will be no seeders). But I'm proud of it.
Last edited by aNiX on Nov 29th, '05, 07:06, edited 2 times in total.

alvy

Post by alvy » Nov 29th, '05, 06:36

neonkinpatsu wrote:... However, it's usually laughed off as one of my weird quirks :P
Yep, same here. My friends already know that my cultural interests tend to stray from the beaten path. :-)

I guess I sort of like enjoying something that most people around here have never even heard of. I don't think there's ever been a Japanese teve series on Swedish television.

But, more importantly, I'm proud of my d-addiction because I know that watching these series has expanded rather than limited my horizons in many ways. For instance, I am now taking a beginner's class in Japanese, I've started reading Japanese authors and books on recent Japanese history, and I hope to go to Japan next year, before the cherry blossoms fall. :D

Thank you for your part in my enlightenment, fellow d-addicts. :thumleft:

Jecky

Post by Jecky » Nov 29th, '05, 06:43

i'm proud that i watch and addicted to DRAMAS and ANIME 8) and i'm not embarrassed! :salut:

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Nov 29th, '05, 06:51

In a sort of self defense mode, I have come to define all my friends as "moderately inclined to cultural endavours" or more precisely I laugh off any quirk-comments they toss my way with a "at least I am not culturally challenged as some I know" :lol

It works and I only get the quirk comment once or twice. (at least to my face, gosh knows whats going on behind my back :crazy: )

Then again, when I hear some really outrageous comments, I can always thank dorama for the little Japanese I have managed to pick up and respond to any ignorant comments with a well practiced "Sumimasen, demo watashi wa eigo ga wakarimasen." Then bow and move away from the scene. :notworthy:

Somehow they never believe me... perhaps cause I'm blonde and blue eyed.
At least I dont have to deal with stupidity to much.

littlemissfab

Post by littlemissfab » Nov 29th, '05, 07:01

its one of my quirks that my friends would be left scratching their heads with. although they are amused when i give them a "nai nai nai!! zetai nai!" or "oy minna!! genki desu ka?" or a "ittekimasu" and a tadaima when i leave or see them..

they're weirded out with my jpop obesession though

zippyflu

Post by zippyflu » Nov 29th, '05, 07:09

i feel the same way as jadedangel does and hmyea... my closest friends, we all watch drama, its all about who watches it first, since i cannot read chinese, they all make fun of me for watchin it a year later (i.e orange days). just recently i watched a jdrama be4 they did (densha) but back to the topic, when i make new friends, i just tell them i like to watch tv shows and i do like to watch tv shows..but i dont get into details.. Usually conversations dont go that far as to wat tv shows you watch. Maybe i am a little embaress because the whole jersey area isnt very drama-populated. but overall.. i love good jap drama.. good meaning it always leave a smile at the end of each episode but leaving me sad at the end of each series..

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Nov 29th, '05, 08:59

mizune wrote:Better than saying you're addicted to Hello! Project... :fear:
Oh, wait...
haha *points at mizune* :lol ...oh wait :sweat:

bLaCkNbLuE

Post by bLaCkNbLuE » Nov 29th, '05, 10:22

My family and friends all know, but its not something I mention on a first date! :shhh:

surrealistic-destiny

Post by surrealistic-destiny » Nov 29th, '05, 10:28

what addication? XDDDDDDDDD

:whistling:

hacksign

Post by hacksign » Nov 29th, '05, 10:50

I'm proud to be addicted to dramas but I really have a hard time telling others about my addiction. It's a mixture of embarrassment and exasperation that makes me just name some of my less prominent/past hobbies instead cause it is just difficult to EXPLAIN what you mean when you say you're addicted to asian dramas.

Like others already mentioned, it's the look they give you. It makes you feel obligated to explain or expound all the while you're feeling that you really don't want to take the time to do it. I mean, if someone says they read during their spare time everyone understand but for some reason when you say you watch asian drama it's just flies over their head...

becu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by becu » Nov 29th, '05, 11:14

i'm not only proud of myself, i also make other people love Korean dramas :)

Hitnrun

Post by Hitnrun » Nov 29th, '05, 12:04

Embarassed? No way! Everyone I see, I gave them the phrase: "What??? You didn't saw any japan dramas yet? Here, borrow this Beautiful Life here!", and then it spreads like fire, it's more than 6 months that my Beautiful Life don't come back, and I made copies for almost all who saw it.

When everyone you know watches it too, theres nothing to be embarassed about :thumleft:

Iv3_imt

Post by Iv3_imt » Nov 29th, '05, 12:13

Why should I b embarassed for joining such great forum?
i feel very2 proud and happy

ebony

Post by ebony » Nov 29th, '05, 12:23

My Sig basically answers that question :lol

I don't know where i would be without my dramas and that is the god's honest truth, i absouletly love them and am not ashamed to admit to liking them. I've even got my mum liking them which is a really big deal everyone else in my family doesn't understand why i like them but i just tell them to mind their own business :argue: .

At least while watching them i'm enjoying them and learning the language which is a sure plus sign :cheers: Before i started watching dramas i couldn't understand any foreign language but now i know a bit of Korean, Japanese and Chinese.

so i'm proud to admit that i am a TRUE DRAMA ADDICT :cheers: :wub:

idiotboy

Post by idiotboy » Nov 29th, '05, 12:36

oh yeah, i hear you, hacksign.

most ppl who know me casually in RL think i'm a beer-drinking football tragic. in answer to the question 'what did you do on the weekend?', it's always easier to say 'went to the pub, watched football' and leave it there. because if i add 'and then went home and modded a game/ watched anime/ watched j*drama/ obsessed over j*idols', the amount of work i have to do to *explain* the extra clause completely defeats the purpose of the 'how was yr weekend' exchange.

so i end up talking about football ;) .

Karo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Karo » Nov 29th, '05, 16:32

I have never been embarrased about me watching Anime or Drama.
Guess that's because the only people who know are my best friends and for them something like this is not important...

If someone else asks (happens from time to time)... what I like to watch.... Then I'll answer that. There's no need to be embarassed of that.
there are lots of people out there who don't know what all this stuff is. For them it may be weird, but I know that the stuff I am watching is ggod... otherwise I wouldn't watch it... ^^
That's enough for me... ^^

quikbunny

Post by quikbunny » Nov 29th, '05, 17:26

Not embarrassed at all..its helped me out quite a bit actually...when my boss needed someone to work for him at AWA this year he asked ME first and told me to pick staff out to help him...
It's also helping me learn a language I have always wanted to learn, Japanese :)
I have also found great places like D-Addicts since I am obsessed :D :D

bloodwraith

Post by bloodwraith » Nov 29th, '05, 17:44

What I'm more surprised about is that there are actually other guys that are watching dramas! :O

And I thought I was the only guy, hehe.

Well, I usually keep my interest to myself and my family, but I have been able to lure one of my colleague at work to watch Emperor of the Sea. At first he thinks it was too much of a Soap Opera, but later on he was quite amazed by it.
I can even proudly say that I'm a member of a Korean Movie club in Denmark, hehe

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Nov 29th, '05, 17:53

I am proud to be a Otaku! Of course, as soon as I start talking about anime or dorama all my friends roll their eyes and start elbowing each other...

gunjourui
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gunjourui » Nov 29th, '05, 17:55

I've never been embarrassed about dramas...hehe actually most people around here know about that coz I'm not the only addict so the others hear us talking about the latest releases :lol
hmmm I think I'm only embarrassed about my fangirling :mrgreen: so I'm trying not to show this side of me publicly :shhh:

haha Hitnrun, I know what you mean :thumleft: my copy of Beautiful Life was popular too :lol

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Nov 29th, '05, 19:04

It's not like I'm addicted or anything. Sometimes I feel like watching both anime and drama (in the latter case it was only because I really like Hana yori Dango - which I admit to be a huge fan of - that I decided to watch the live action version and some other shows that star the same actors), and I don't really deny actually enjoying it, too. But I don't walk around and brag about it as I don't see any reason for being proud of something like that. I think I'd rather have people not knowing I like dramas and anime.

teamFun

Post by teamFun » Nov 29th, '05, 19:18

I know this might be an odd question.. but what is fangirling?

Anyhow, I have to admit that I was once pretty embarrassed about it, thanks to no small amount to my immediate family... my sister even went so far as to denounce it as "bull that no one in their right mind would watch" and likened it to... the Bold and the Beautiful and a slew of soaps (not to say soaps are bad, I watch it sometimes too if I have nothing else to do, but Passions pisses me off so bad!)... it was quite hurtful coming from a sibling, mind you =P so instead she introduced me to ER, Gilmore Girls, Blink 182, Three Doors Down (to reorientate my J-Pop obsession as well) and all that... Anyhow, I did abstain for a while from it and tried to 'refocus' my orientation to more 'popular' and 'accepted' mediums... in other words, anything pop from America. =P

One day, one of my friends helped as well in providing me with a slew of recommendations and he knew about my obsession with Matsu Takako as well (sure, I didnt watch the dramas but they cant deny me her music!)... LOL... Anyhow, with his help I finally got enough sense in me to realise that there is nothing embarrassing about watching these dramas.

Why must American media be SO MUCH BETTER than media from other countries? It doesnt have to be, but its only the way we see it... people poke fun at drama because of all the things these cultures do are seen as 'overdramatic'... like running through the streets of Tokyo or Seoul when surely a car or bike would suffice... but then no one criticises the American overdramatisations like 'Yay! We can finally be happy again!... oh Joe... oh Mary... I am finally coming home now... BAM!!! CAR ACCIDENT!!'...

Anyhow, I realised that I wasted all those years NOT watching drama and thought "Am I nuts!?" And then thought, "How can I deny my friends and those around me of something so good!?" So now I happily admit I am hooked and I love to be hooked. Call me names, but at least I am open enough to accept other forms of 'good'.

I had an argument with my sister over thanksgiving... Again, she had to tell me that Japanese actresses cant act for their lives, that's why they needed Chinese big shots like Zhang Ziyi, Gong Li, and Michelle Yeoh (YAY! MALAYSIA BOLEH!!) for "Memoirs of a Geisha"... I rebutted by saying that its not so much acting talent that got them the role but because of established names in American society... I could be wrong, but I think I have a case... =P

So yea, the moral of my long winded story is... I had to actually learn to be proud of my drama love and realised that there is nothing to be embarrassed about... It's hard though, amongst people who think its stupid, but at least you know that there are people here who share the obsession with you... And if you were in an Asian country, chances are you will easily find people who cant agree more with you in drama love! =)

[EDIT: I guess proud, under my understanding was as in I wouldnt have a problem saying that I watch it... but I dont actively go out to tell people about it, unless they ask for recommended forms of entertainment =)]

Hayashi_kun

Post by Hayashi_kun » Nov 29th, '05, 19:21

i'd hav thought there are not so many guys addicted to drama... at least not the ppl ard me... glad to find so many like-minded frens here...

proud to b a d-addict!

Hika.chan

Post by Hika.chan » Nov 29th, '05, 19:34

I`m proud of it. I mean everyone who is embaressed shouldn`t watch soaps as well. It`s a good thing to be part of something not everybody know.

liongig680

Post by liongig680 » Nov 29th, '05, 19:35

mm no I admit to everybody that I am sort of addicted to drama.

Like TeamFun, my brothers used to take the micke when I watch drama. but one day I caught him watching my Long Vacation and I asked him "what're you doing" next he was nearly in tear and said oh poor senakun or something ( :whistling: yes caught you redhanded :D )

Daisukimaru

Post by Daisukimaru » Nov 29th, '05, 19:37

im proud to be a drama addictt me and my best friend watch loads of drama but he moves to minniasota ]= and people think ima fruit cause i watch it but oh well =]

there just jealous because they dont know what there missing out on x]

teamFun

Post by teamFun » Nov 29th, '05, 19:37

LOL!! I wish that could happen to me too liongig!! LOL!! AWESOME!! =D

AsianFreak

Post by AsianFreak » Nov 29th, '05, 20:49

Well i agree with all of you since all of you really like Dramas.

Honestly i have never been imbarassed about it.

My friends and my relatives do ask me why i watch them.

To me its like most of you say its part of my life and thats what it is.

I really like Anime and Asian Dramas But im really 99.9% Korean and japanese Drama Addict. lol

Honestly i listen to asian music everywhere i go and i dont feel imbarrased one bit.

Its just that i love the Asian Entertainment.

Well il stop here cause i could keep on going and going. lol

sadotsu

Post by sadotsu » Nov 30th, '05, 02:23

I've never been embarrassed. Not a lot of people actually take enough of an interest in my life to know that I watch dramas. The people who do know watch dramas themselves, so it's cool.

Toritorisan

Post by Toritorisan » Nov 30th, '05, 06:16

I'm not embarassed about watching dramas. In matter of fact, I've converted my friends and family members into watching dramas too. I guess people don't find it strange because I'm Japanese and my grandma always used ot watch Japanese dramas while I was growing up (back then I had no interest in it though, but I think now my grandma is proud of me :P ). I think I shocked a few though when I got swept up in the Hallyu wave and started watching Korean dramas (heheh even went to Korea for vacation! :D )

As for anime, I never really considered myself a big fan, I've only watched a few selected series here and there. So I really don't mention much about it.

pe3kabo0

Post by pe3kabo0 » Dec 7th, '05, 21:37

i'm proud of it. i go to a school where i am the only asian and i'm proud of it! gosh.. they dont know what theyre missing !

wingsky

Post by wingsky » Dec 8th, '05, 02:39

I'm not proud of it, not embarassed about it either... just like watching tv really, isnt it? :) Now if you were talking about anime.... :lol

xKiMix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by xKiMix » Dec 8th, '05, 06:36

I'm PROUD of it!!! I also got all my friends, and most of my cousins into it as well. It funny because when people would talk about american shows, i hardly know anything anymore since i hardly watch american shows anymore. Also in school, i thought there reallly isn't much people into drama, but once me and my friends start talking about it, sometimes other people would join too. :-)

Kakashi-sensei

Post by Kakashi-sensei » Dec 8th, '05, 06:42

Mostly proud, but there are some of my friends who think I'm lame for watching it, but they don't know what they're missing! :lol

kapompom

Post by kapompom » Dec 8th, '05, 06:53

I'm proud to be part of asian drama addicts haha. My family and friends know who to contact if they're looking for titles or drama series to watch :whistling: don't care even tho lots of people say I'm a boring person because I spent too much time watching various drama series.. like mosl of u have said, they don't know what they're missing mwahaha

Yoda

Post by Yoda » Dec 8th, '05, 07:39

I just can't get enough of it. How can i ever be embarrassed. big fan of K-Drama. Wish I'm a Korean so i don't have to wait for subtitles-but then again the subtitles are good - i appreciate all those who does the subtitles for all the dramas; they are the best group of people; and this goes to all the people involved in doing the timing and so on....

tekistar

Post by tekistar » Jul 6th, '06, 04:41

Ahehehe, I'm embrassed to say that sometimes I hide my love. I used to get the "omg u r so wannabe-azn!!1!11oneoneone!!" comment a lot when I was open about my love for anime, so now I'm more hush-hush about it. If someone asks, I won't lie about it, but at the same time I won't list it among my hobbies or anything.

mister

Post by mister » Jul 6th, '06, 04:45

Don't be embarassed, you should be PROUD 8) it's a very contagious killer disease that i already have :crazy: :crazy:

tekistar

Post by tekistar » Jul 6th, '06, 04:48

mister wrote: it's a very contagious killer disease that i already have :crazy: :crazy:
Keh, I may be a closet fan, but don't you worry, I've made sure to infect a few along the way. 8)

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Jul 6th, '06, 04:54

definitely not ashamed or embarrassed. I guess you can call it pride......but mostly, I'm ecstatic about my drama collection.

I've been addicted to Asian dramas since I was able to coherently understand Chinese (I think around 3-4 years old). My parents have been renting TVB dramas years before I was even born so it just became a daily (more like nightly) routine to eat dinner and afix our eyes to the screen.........we call it "bo dai" :whistling: As I was growing up, I vary between TVB & ATV dramas and somehow got hooked to Taiwanese dramas somewhere along the way. And that lead to the interest in K & J dramas. :)

Why should watching Asian dramas be an embarrassing experience? I watch (or I used to watch) American TV all the time, so why would it be any different if I take interest in non-English dramas?

Kakihara

Post by Kakihara » Jul 6th, '06, 04:54

I thought they were stupid. My wife gets about 25 DVD-R's a month from her mom back home and watches one or two episodes a day. It look bland compared to things like Female Yakuza Tale, Kichiku Dai Enkai, Takashi Miike stuff, etc. But the leading lady in Azumi was outrageous. Had to get more of her and come to find out she's in the dramas my wife watches. We finished all the episodes of Attention Please. That's gotta be one of the best of all time. We're going to start watching Attack No. 1 tomorrow.

Interestingly it seems like not only are the Japanese movies better than Hollywood, but so are the television shows.

A guy at work got to borrow episodes 1 & 2 of Attention Please today. Hopefully he watched it and wants the next disc.

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Jul 6th, '06, 13:23

not embarrass at all....told everybody at work that I watched dramas to unwind after work all the time and it works like a charm :D

Mythrel

Post by Mythrel » Jul 6th, '06, 20:14

Kakihara wrote:I thought they were stupid. My wife gets about 25 DVD-R's a month from her mom back home and watches one or two episodes a day. It look bland compared to things like Female Yakuza Tale, Kichiku Dai Enkai, Takashi Miike stuff, etc. But the leading lady in Azumi was outrageous. Had to get more of her and come to find out she's in the dramas my wife watches. We finished all the episodes of Attention Please. That's gotta be one of the best of all time. We're going to start watching Attack No. 1 tomorrow.

Interestingly it seems like not only are the Japanese movies better than Hollywood, but so are the television shows.

A guy at work got to borrow episodes 1 & 2 of Attention Please today. Hopefully he watched it and wants the next disc.
LOL which movie is your guy in your avatar from? was it a takash miike move? I remember him having that smiley. Oohh was it Ichi the killer? god such a weird movie but you won't ever see a movie like that come out over here which is why I love asian cinema XD(have you seen Zebraman by him? lol such a great movie, I am a big fan of Takeshi Kitano movies.) I have never been ashamed or embarassed of my love for asian TV shows and Movies. I have gotten a few friends hooked on Naruto (although its kinda blah lately) and convienced one friend to watch GTO and he loved it too. All my friends know about it and no one has ever said anything bad about it, what is there bad to say about it to begin with. Their movies are usually original, something Hollywood hasn't figured out in a long time and their acting is supurb. There hasn't been many Asian movies from Japan or China or Korea I have dislike infact you could combind all those countries and the bad ones would fit on one hand, whereas Hollywood ones I've seen too many bad ones to even watch them anymore.

sunshine4ever
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sunshine4ever » Jul 6th, '06, 20:19

more proud than embarrassed~~~ :mrgreen:

thtlam

Post by thtlam » Jul 6th, '06, 20:38

I'm proud of it not a bit embarassed about my addition to drama

OvertheRainbow

Post by OvertheRainbow » Jul 6th, '06, 20:39

I'm proud!!!!! Like many others though, I don't go up to a person and say "Hello there, I'm addicted to asian dramas...wanna know what I'm currently watching?...No?....Where are you going?.....Come back! I haven't told you about my collection!".......so yea, that would be pretty weird because people usually associate "dramas" with like soap operas like Passions or Days of our Lives or whatever even though it's just like a T.V series except it doesn't go on for 10 years without any progress.

Kakihara

Post by Kakihara » Jul 6th, '06, 20:44

Mythrel wrote: LOL which movie is your guy in your avatar from? was it a takash miike move? I remember him having that smiley. Oohh was it Ichi the killer? god such a weird movie but you won't ever see a movie like that come out over here which is why I love asian cinema XD(have you seen Zebraman by him? lol such a great movie, I am a big fan of Takeshi Kitano movies.)
Haha! Yep... Ichi The Killer. Cool you saw Zebraman. That's one of the few I haven't seen from Miike yet. Watched Osaka Tough Guys recently. Very funny. And have that Battle of the Yokai Monsters on deck.

Man, complete agreement with you about the superiority of Asian movies over the trash that comes out of Hollywood. Although, Hellevator wasn't too good imo.

Have you seen Versus? That's almost as cool as Ichi The Killer. Interestingly, Azumi is by the same director as Versus (that's why it was picked up). Only this time with a bigger budget. Remember the arm wrestling scene? Same nice effect! Odd how the violent movies led to the discovery of Attention Please!

How about the bad girl movies from the early 70's with stars like Miki Sugimoto and Reiko Ike, do you like those? Watching them you still get in that dreamy, candy-like mental state. That stuff is just too good.

Mythrel

Post by Mythrel » Jul 7th, '06, 16:39

haha Kakihara ya I have seen Verses lolol its such a funny movie. I love when that one guy keeps pulling out guns like out of no where lol. Wow you haven't seen Zebraman? I rank that amoung the top movies he has made that movie made me laugh so hard. He just has such a unique style that it makes for some of the best movies. Azumi was an awsome movie although I didn't enjoy the second one as much as I did the first. That director also did a movie I just watched last night called Aragami. That movie is so amazing I guess he was bet by a producer if he could make a movie with only two actors in one set and done under a week. Well he created one hell of a movie I enjoyed it. If only hollywood was capable of such greatness lol.

I started off by watching the newest movies from asia and I was never a fan of 70's movies or 80's or any earlier type movies and wow was I missing out on the asian cinema classics. I haven't seen any of those actors though I dunno how I missed that lol. I have watched a couple of movies that go back to even the 50's by the legand Akira Kurosawa. No one can make a movie like him.

Gozen

Post by Gozen » Jul 7th, '06, 18:24

Embarrassed? The most embarrassing this is trying to talk and pout at the same time, go on, try it, you can't do it, can you? Embarrassed because I drool over gorgeous men? Embarrassed because I cry over the issue of the month? Embarrassed because I don't know another soul who "gets" it? Embarrassed because I can no longer watch ordinary television (with a few exceptions, like Lost, ER and Deadwood) but spend every night trying to decide which series to start/continue/finish?

Maybe I should be, but I'm not......until the next dorama covers the issue of dorama addicts, and the heroine talks and pouts at the same time, and has to go into a twelve step programme that involves watching Miss Marple and back-to-back episodes of Midsummer Murders and is never allowed to see Sorimachi or Kimutaku again.....DON'T let them make that series, and if they do, DON'T sub it!

horndogbuddhist

Post by horndogbuddhist » Jul 7th, '06, 18:34

proud sometimes.....embarassed sometimes...embarrassed that most men don't watch as many dramas as I do and yet....some women find it kinda "cute" *a big WTF??!!!!) so I love it and hate it at the same time....

ChristinePak

PROUD~

Post by ChristinePak » Jul 7th, '06, 18:34

I am proud... I try to get everyone i know addicted too, but they wont give it a chance
I don't know why... :scratch:

But it's prolly better that way, because now my life is School and Drama-School and Drama...
But I love it :wub:

jpoplover08

Post by jpoplover08 » Jul 7th, '06, 18:54

OvertheRainbow wrote:I'm proud!!!!! Like many others though, I don't go up to a person and say "Hello there, I'm addicted to asian dramas...wanna know what I'm currently watching?...No?....Where are you going?.....Come back! I haven't told you about my collection!".......so yea, that would be pretty weird because people usually associate "dramas" with like soap operas like Passions or Days of our Lives or whatever even though it's just like a T.V series except it doesn't go on for 10 years without any progress.
Definitely! When i talk to my friends about dramas the first thing they say is "oh are they like american soaps?" (since i live in america) And i respond with "they could be considered soaps but they are sooo much better! Plus they dont last as long. And are 10x better!" But anyway, i am very proud of my addiction. Even if it may seem weird to watch them here. People who dont give asian dramas a chance sure are missing out!

Kon Kon

Post by Kon Kon » Jul 7th, '06, 19:08

I don't care about other's too much, but i'm proud coz i usually talk to everyone about the drama and what is the story of it..
some of my relatives and freinds luagh at me coz they think that i really don't have anything to do.. they think it is a waste of time. but when some of them watch it, they can't blame me.. they know why i got addicted to dramas and anime.
also i teach my friend's son (he is 1 year and 9 month old ) some of the actor's actings such as BANG, KON KON for YAMAPI.. :lol
I just love them :wub:

idiscolikeathug

Post by idiscolikeathug » Jul 8th, '06, 03:37

im a bit embarassed but also proud.
i barely got my friend into dramas after sharing a common obsession with anime and manga. but i live in a town thats predominately mexican with an asian population of less than 5%. we have very limited cultural diversity and alot of my own family gives me alot of crap about supposedly "being ashamed of being mexican". its not that at all. its just i love being able to escape reality with dramas and manga and anime^^.

OvertheRainbow

Post by OvertheRainbow » Jul 8th, '06, 03:43

idiscolikeathug wrote:im a bit embarassed but also proud.
i barely got my friend into dramas after sharing a common obsession with anime and manga. but i live in a town thats predominately mexican with an asian population of less than 5%. we have very limited cultural diversity and alot of my own family gives me alot of crap about supposedly "being ashamed of being mexican". its not that at all. its just i love being able to escape reality with dramas and manga and anime^^.
Lol..at first, when you said you lived in a predominately mexican community with less than 5% asians, I thought you were the less than 5%..that would suck though, there are a lot of asians at my school so I don't totally feel out of place since I was like one of the 4 asians out of the y last school. Why don't you do something Mexican-ish (doubt its a word) then to show your family you aren't ashamed.

My dad is as much of a drama addict as I am. After he goes home from work, he sits in front of the couch and watches his viet dubbed TVB series

jpoplover08

Post by jpoplover08 » Jul 8th, '06, 17:39

idiscolikeathug wrote:im a bit embarassed but also proud.
Its nice to know im not the only one who gets crap like that. Im also mexican and people have told me that im ashamed of my heritage and blah blah blah. But honestly its not that at all, im very proud of it. Although i dont live in a predominated mexian town, white people outnumber us here lol. :D