Zhang Ziyi in Memoirs of a Geisha

Hong Kong, Taiwanese and Mainland China entertainments goes here.
Atomic

Zhang Ziyi in Memoirs of a Geisha

Post by Atomic » Jan 13th, '05, 05:53

Well since the hottest Chinese actors/actresses went MIA on the forum, I'd just like to take this opportunity to post more pics of the HOTTEST chick on the planet.

donna8157

Post by donna8157 » Jan 13th, '05, 06:04

Zhang Ziyi? Hottest female on the planet? :lol

Anyway, it looks to be a good movie especially with Gong Li, one of the best Chinese actresses ever to grace the big screen. =D Well, as for Zhang Ziyi, I haven't really liked any of her characters in any of the movies I've seen her in: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon .. House of Flying Daggers .. Hero .. 2046 .. etc. I think it was her arrogant attitude that she had when doing magazine interviews.

She said something to the extent of "If I could speak English well, I would be a better actress than Julia Roberts" (and Julia Roberts at the time had just won the Academy Award for best actress)

BT-Slut

Post by BT-Slut » Jan 13th, '05, 06:14

donna8157 wrote: She said something to the extent of "If I could speak English well, I would be a better actress than Julia Roberts" (and Julia Roberts at the time had just won the Academy Award for best actress)
Rumors spead by envious harlots. Please cite your sources. I am 100% positive she said nothing of the kind. Zhang Zi Yi comes from humble roots and works very hard in all her movies to prove to her country mates that shes as good as any actress. She has to fight all the criticisms from home and aboard precisely because she's extremely beautiful. The general viewpoint is that because she's beautiful she must not have any real acting talent, like some many of the other "pop" stars who sing, dance, and act just to get the spotlight shone on them.

I want the original source where it claims Zhang Zi Yi said that about Julia Roberts.

duckie

Post by duckie » Jan 13th, '05, 06:31

She's alright. I don't think she's the hottest female on the planet. :P

donna8157

Post by donna8157 » Jan 13th, '05, 06:31

BT Slut,

I read the article in "People" Magazine awhile back when they were interviewing her after the success of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" and her role in "Rush Hour 2". It was printed there clearly in black and white. At the time, I was just as shocked as you were. I even read the lines a few times over just to make sure. But she definitely said those words.

They might have an archive of the article on their site, though I do not have membership with them and do not have the time to actually go through and search for the link. Anyway, it's not out of the globe of possibility for her to say something like that. After all, "CTHD" won so many awards, she started being cast in Hollywood films, etc etc, her head may have just gotten a little too big.

However, if the interviewer had misquoted her then that's another issue all together.

BT-Slut

Post by BT-Slut » Jan 13th, '05, 07:26

donna8157 wrote:BT Slut,

I read the article in "People" Magazine awhile back when they were interviewing her after the success of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" and her role in "Rush Hour 2". It was printed there clearly in black and white. At the time, I was just as shocked as you were. I even read the lines a few times over just to make sure. But she definitely said those words.

They might have an archive of the article on their site, though I do not have membership with them and do not have the time to actually go through and search for the link. Anyway, it's not out of the globe of possibility for her to say something like that. After all, "CTHD" won so many awards, she started being cast in Hollywood films, etc etc, her head may have just gotten a little too big.

However, if the interviewer had misquoted her then that's another issue all together.
Donna, I took some time to search for info and interviews of ZZY. Here are my findings.
I am again certain that what you said above is pure rumor. The following Reuters article infact has ZZY listing Julia Roberts as one of her two most favorite actresses.

This is a good interview of her by Asia Time's
http://chinese-school.netfirms.com/Zhan ... -Time.html

This is a good page with lots of articles on ZZY.
http://asia.zhangziyi.info/siteweb/ZhangZiyi/News.html
It's also where I found the following article by Reuters where she says she admires Julia Roberts. I've highlighted the part where she refers to Julia Roberts. If ZZY indeed lambasts Julia Roberts in People, there must exist a lot of posts all over the internet regarding her comment, yet I find nothing when I do a google search. Therefore, again, I will say the comment you read about ZZY dissing Julia Roberts is pure rumor spread by harlots envious of ZZY's looks and talent. If such a comment even exists, I do not believe it came from People magazine either.
By Sarah Cheung

BEIJING (Reuters) - She has swept American cinema audiences off their feet.

But friends of Zhang Ziyi, the mainland Chinese star of ''Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon,'' are having trouble understanding what all the fuss is about.

The average Chinese movie-goer finds the film that catapulted Zhang to international stardom a bit boring. In the Chinese-speaking world, the kung-fu genre has been overworked and for the price of a movie ticket jaded audiences now expect a punch-up of epic proportions.

Even Zhang's friends who watched the movie ``felt disappointed,'' she sighs.

No matter that the film has been nominated for 10 Oscars (news - web sites), including Best Picture -- a first for an Asian film -- and is the most popular foreign movie ever to hit America. Zhang concedes that to Chinese tastes it is just ``not cool.''

``Chinese audiences believe kung-fu movies should be very macho and have lots of fighting,'' she explains, squeezing her fist into a ball.

A Beijing native, the daughter of an economist and a kindergarten teacher, Zhang graduated from the prestigious China Central Drama College and found stardom through ``The Road Home'' directed by Zhang Yimou, which won a Silver Bear prize at the Berlin Film Festival last year.

Thousands Of Kisses

Despite her fame, she agrees to turn up at the home of a foreign reporter in Beijing for an interview, albeit two hours late and wearing sunglasses on a gray winter's day.

On the streets of Beijing, she turns heads wearing denim pants held loosely together by giant safety pins.

But the attention is nothing compared with the way Americans fussed over her.

``I noticed that everybody adored me,'' she giggles. ``My make-up artist kissed me thousands of time every day. They thought I was like a baby with a small face. They tried to protect me and show how much they loved me.''

Americans, she discovers, are fascinated by all things Chinese.

``Westerners are curious about the East,'' she says. ``They really want to come to China and after watching 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon', they would ask 'where is that bamboo forest?' and 'where can you find such beautiful places in China?'.''

In ``Crouching Tiger,'' directed by Taiwan-born Ang Lee, Zhang plays alongside Hong Kong action hero Chow Yun-fat and former Bond girl Michelle Yeoh, who is Malaysian.

But she is no hurry to follow her co-stars into Hollywood.

``I can't speak English,'' she confesses. ``I joke with my friends that if I go to Hollywood then the first character I would play would be a mute.''

Still, Zhang is well on the way to becoming one of Asia's hottest stars and possibly even stepping out of the shadow of China's most famous actress, Gong Li.

Zhang's likeness to Gong, star of Zhang Yimou's ``Raise the Red Lantern'' and ``Red Sorghum,'' led to the nickname ``Little Gong Li'' when she first arrived on the film scene three years ago.

``I've discovered people are saying this less and less now,'' she says, a bit frostily.

A Chinese Gown

After ``Crouching Tiger'' will come a remake of ``Zu: Warriors of the Magic Mountain,'' directed by Hong Kong director Tsui Hark, in which Zhang plays a warrior princess.

She has also just wrapped up filming for Jackie Chan's ''Rush Hour 2'' in the United States. And she has also signed up to make a movie called ``2046'' with Hong Kong art-house director Wong Kar-wai.

She describes director Lee as ``very patient, very calm'' as she attempted to keep pace with kung-fu experts Chow and Yeoh by practicing kicks and punches on the set.

``In a sense that's more scary! When I was making 'Crouching Tiger', I felt like a madly running mouse who had seen a big wild cat.''

During filming, she would pull up a chair and watch Yeoh and Chow fight, hoping to learn new tricks.

``I was not being lazy -- I just wanted to watch and learn. And he would pull me up, take me to one side and tell me to keep practicing,'' she says.

``I think if I had not felt so much pressure, the result would not have been so good.''

Zhang has a new-found respect for martial arts actors. ''They make it look so easy, but in fact they are using all their blood and sweat to do these stunts,'' she says.

On Sunday, Zhang will join the rest of the crew at the awards ceremony, although she has not been nominated for an Oscar.

Zhang is also looking forward to meeting Julia Roberts, who with Sophie Marceau she lists as her favorite actresses. First, she must decide on a dress for the Oscars.

``In the United States, there were a lot of fashion houses who wanted to make a dress for me: Versace, Escada, Prada. And I said to them it must be an oriental style dress.''

``I was very clear about that.''

kali4niaguy

Post by kali4niaguy » Jan 13th, '05, 07:57

BT-Slut wrote: This is a good page with lots of articles on ZZY.
http://asia.zhangziyi.info/siteweb/ZhangZiyi/News.html
It's also where I found the following article by Reuters where she says she admires Julia Roberts. I've highlighted the part where she refers to Julia Roberts. If ZZY indeed lambasts Julia Roberts in People, there must exist a lot of posts all over the internet regarding her comment, yet I find nothing when I do a google search. Therefore, again, I will say the comment you read about ZZY dissing Julia Roberts is pure rumor spread by harlots envious of ZZY's looks and talent. If such a comment even exists, I do not believe it came from People magazine either.

BT...
i went searching for the same thing when i 1st read this thread! :D and i just finished skimming thru the website u posted. i didn't find ZZY saying she was better then Julia Roberts, but i did read that she was caught up in a love triangle between Jackie Chan and J. Chan's son when they were filming Rush Hour 2! i thought that was funny. it was just another 1 of those rumors. i've seen Jackie Chan's son, i don't think ZZY would go for a guy like him. but ZZY did supposedly go out with the K-actor, Woo-Sung Jung, in 2000. she is 1 of the hottest actresses out there. i liked her bitchiness in RH2. :mrgreen:

BT-Slut

Post by BT-Slut » Jan 13th, '05, 08:25

kali4niaguy wrote: but ZZY did supposedly go out with the K-actor, Woo-Sung Jung, in 2000. she is 1 of the hottest actresses out there. i liked her bitchiness in RH2. :mrgreen:
In a word: uhmmm.... no. Unless Woo-Sung Jung knows Chinese fluently, ZZY's Korean is just as bad, if not worse, than her English. So I highly doubt ZZY dated this Korean guy. Unless it was just for sex (no talking involved), which I doubt also.

I think the reason the Chinese dislike ZZY so much is because of her brash personality. She's not afraid to speak up and take her due accolades. The Chinese culture is one where if one receives accolades, one is suppose to blush and look down and say "mayo, mayo" to defer all compliments. But ZZY doesn't do that. She accepts them. And it's this part which makes the general Chinese audience dislike her so much. They do think she's arrogant, but she's certainly no more arrogant than any of the Western movie stars.

I think she's great. While I don't think she's the planet's hottest chick, I do think she's very up there in terms of the "hot" factor and certainly one of the hottest Chinese girls out there.

Camui

Post by Camui » Jan 13th, '05, 13:53

I loved her in 'The Road Home'. It's one of my fav movies of all time. I think she's very pretty, and whether it's true or not, personally I think she's a better actress than Julia Roberts(and far prettier than Julia too).

I'd love to have seen her recactions to getting kissed and showerd with love like that, lol. It sounds like it'd be cute to have seen. :D

Atomic

Post by Atomic » Jan 13th, '05, 14:43

There was suppose to be a movie being made for her and Adam Sandler.. The plot revolves around Adam Sandler ordering a mail in Bride aka Zhang Ziyi.. I wonder if it's still being made... It'd be interesting to see her in a comedy in english considering she only does dramas or martial arts..

Camui

OoOoOO!

Post by Camui » Jan 14th, '05, 03:57

That sounds really cool. I hope it is too. I'm gonna check. :D

*edit*
"Good Cook, Likes Music" is the name of it. It's still in developement. I'd really love to see this. I hope it stays alive. :w00t: http://movies.hsx.com/servlet/SecurityD ... mbol=GCKLM

kali4niaguy

Post by kali4niaguy » Jan 14th, '05, 04:38

BT-Slut wrote:
kali4niaguy wrote: but ZZY did supposedly go out with the K-actor, Woo-Sung Jung, in 2000. she is 1 of the hottest actresses out there. i liked her bitchiness in RH2. :mrgreen:
In a word: uhmmm.... no. Unless Woo-Sung Jung knows Chinese fluently, ZZY's Korean is just as bad, if not worse, than her English. So I highly doubt ZZY dated this Korean guy. Unless it was just for sex (no talking involved), which I doubt also.

that's y i said, supposedly. couldn't they have just spoken the universal language of love?? :mrgreen:

zdoon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by zdoon » Jan 14th, '05, 05:18

Zhang Ziyi, in my opinion, is one of the most beautiful and elegant asian celebrities. But for some reason "hot" doesn't come to mind when I think of her. She's too skinny.

donna8157

Post by donna8157 » Jan 14th, '05, 06:58

I tried searching for the "People" article from long ago (since it was published sometime in 2001), but could not find it. I'm sorry, but it is not a rumor that is being spread because I was the one that read the article. And I'm not the type of person that would spread rumors. :|

Well, I'll search some more and hopefully I can find it.

Camui

Post by Camui » Jan 14th, '05, 09:48

Well then I definently agree with her(Zhang Ziyi) then. Once again, personally I think she IS a better actress. I don't think Julia is as great as everyone makes her out to be. I'm not knocking her ability, just saying I think Julia gets way more credit than she deserves. Not saying she doesn't deserve some, just that her talent doesn't warrant the abundance of credit and praise. That's Hollywood for you. This is just one of the many cases...

Hope you can find it. Good luck. I'd love to read it. :-)
Last edited by Camui on Feb 12th, '05, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.

zdoon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by zdoon » Jan 14th, '05, 15:08

Julia Roberts is annoying and has been overrated since Pretty Woman.

TheBombastic1

Post by TheBombastic1 » Jan 19th, '05, 01:14

I also thought that Julia Roberts was annoying too and stuff. But then I jut watched a movie called Closer, and she was fantastic. Super good. But that might be just cuz the movie itself was super good and it rubbed off on her. I think my problem with Julia Roberts is that most of her movie characters seems the same. Cuz of that, if it weren't for Closer, I woulda said sh'e a one trick pony.

Zhang Ziyi is good. I loved her when I first saw her on Crouching TIger. Began to get dull when it seemed like she might be a one trick pony too. I thought with Hero, Musa, House of Flying Daggers, that she only did Martial Arts period type movies. Then I saw The Road Home and Purple Butterfly and I like her again. Waiting to see 2046. And she's sexy as hell too and you know cuz she used to be a dancer that she's limber and flexible, if you know what I mean. :whistling: :wink: :wub:

About Memoirs of a Geisha, the movie, I think they should have let Japanese Actresses and ACtors fill up the roles cuz it does take place in Japan, and in Japanese, or if its done wrong, Japan will all be like "we're misrepresented:" Also, I think the roles of the Geishas should have gone to actual Geishas, if they are still around.

thetenken
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by thetenken » Jan 20th, '05, 15:04

Not to ZZY bash, but she's pretty much played the same part in all her movies (except The Road Home). Maybe Memoirs of a Geisha will be different.

BT-Slut

Post by BT-Slut » Jan 20th, '05, 15:21

TheBombastic1 wrote: Then I saw The Road Home and Purple Butterfly and I like her again. Waiting to see 2046. And she's sexy as hell too and you know cuz she used to be a dancer that she's limber and flexible, if you know what I mean. :whistling: :wink: :wub:

About Memoirs of a Geisha, the movie, I think they should have let Japanese Actresses and ACtors fill up the roles cuz it does take place in Japan, and in Japanese, or if its done wrong, Japan will all be like "we're misrepresented:" Also, I think the roles of the Geishas should have gone to actual Geishas, if they are still around.
She was such a great actress in The Road Home. I think most people who **** about Zhang Zi Yi have not seen The Road Home. All they do is associate her with kung fu flicks and sex scenes. She plays a "slut" character--by Chinese standards--again in 2046 but the character is different from the kung fu flicks. She's certainly one sassy ****! :P :D

As for Geishas, they certainly do still exist. Visit Kyoto. I hear they are quite expensive, as compared to regular K-TV girls.

pankanshe

Post by pankanshe » Jan 21st, '05, 05:45

She's extremely pretty, but... she's been playing a lot of slutty roles lately :X
Not complaining :)
Good actress... no doubt about that.

Atomic

Post by Atomic » Jan 21st, '05, 06:13

pankanshe wrote:She's extremely pretty, but... she's been playing a lot of slutty roles lately :X
Not complaining :)
Good actress... no doubt about that.
Slutty? have you and I been watching the same movie? 2046 she plays a woman in love with a playboy. House of Flying Daggers, she plays a blind woman who falls in love with a cop.

Beibei

Post by Beibei » Jan 23rd, '05, 21:40

Actually, I don't think she's considered incredibly beautiful in China, and that's why she's bashed. But honestly, EVERYONE is bashed in China! It's difficult not to be a Chinese celebrity and not be bashed!

Zhang Ziyi gets more of it because she's popular overseas, and people think she doesn't deserve it as she isn't the prettiest and best actress in China.

Calcifer
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Calcifer » Jan 27th, '05, 17:19

Beibei wrote:But honestly, EVERYONE is bashed in China! It's difficult not to be a Chinese celebrity and not be bashed!
I think that's true everywhere; you gotta have thick skin if you want to be a celebrity no matter where you are or who you are.
Beibei wrote:Zhang Ziyi gets more of it because she's popular overseas, and people think she doesn't deserve it as she isn't the prettiest and best actress in China.
I have to agree there; she's certainly not among the prettiest or most talented actresses I've seen, but that's not to say she doesn't deserve the acclaim she's been getting. Making movies is hard work...I think the "slut" part comes from the sex-scenes/baring shoulders/showing (excessive in many people's view) intimacy. I personally also don't think that kind of stuff is necessary, but I don't think of her as a slut. I'm rather curious how this movie's going to turn out, and how it's going to affect her image.
Last edited by Calcifer on Jan 30th, '05, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

ceppy

Post by ceppy » Jan 29th, '05, 12:58

zhang ziyi is hot!

nanshi

Post by nanshi » Feb 11th, '05, 00:05

I figured as much that I have to comment on this.

Zhang Ziyi is a talented actress-- I'll give her that much. And perhaps I'm a bit influenced, but I don't think that she's one of the HOTTEST asian actresses out there. She's just extrememly popular because she is a relatively good actress and has gotten a lot of mainstream attention. There's something about her haughty, pouty face that kind of rubs off me the wrong way. Truth be told, instead of having that austere cold glare-- I'd rather have her look a little cuter and a little more personable.

It's as though she's trying to do the whole "I'm a sultry model" thing, when she's really just...well...another asian chick. I'm allowed to say that because I AM an asian chick. :P

BUT I'm not saying I hate her-- because I really don't...

Just wanted to throw my opinion out there. Honestly, I think to really test her skills, she should try some dramas instead of movies. Dramas, I think, are where acting ability really comes out, even though I love movies. Chinese dramas are sooo much more fun.

BT-Slut

Post by BT-Slut » Feb 12th, '05, 03:19

nanshi wrote: Honestly, I think to really test her skills, she should try some dramas instead of movies. Dramas, I think, are where acting ability really comes out, even though I love movies. Chinese dramas are sooo much more fun.
LOL... :lol

That is just too funny. That's why all serious movie stars are dying to do drama series and all series theater actors are dying to do daily soaps.

There's not a single actor/actress who becomes famous who then goes back to doing drama series. Vicky Zhao obtained her start by doing drama series, but has since moved into the movie business. No serious actress goes back to drama after she's been taken seriously in the film industry.

Your comments are too funny.

Zhang Zi Yi doesn't get the respect she does because she doesn't have "classical" Chinese beauty as defined by the Chinese. Unlike Vicky, ZZY has very small/slim eyes and her face is very sharp/chizelled verses rounder, larger faces of other Chinese beauties. She's by no means mainstream in how she looks. She is vehemently opposed by so many at home (China) because she doesn't fit the "mainstream" beauty in China.

I think she's incredibly hot. She has a face that's quite unique. She could, however use a bigger set of breasts. (KPC could loan ZZY her set of bigger boobies.) But overall, she's great. Absolutely great! If she's seen as being too bitchy, then so be it. How many top stars in the world are not bitchy?

Dodbos

Post by Dodbos » Feb 12th, '05, 03:50

Atomic wrote:There was suppose to be a movie being made for her and Adam Sandler.. The plot revolves around Adam Sandler ordering a mail in Bride aka Zhang Ziyi.. I wonder if it's still being made... It'd be interesting to see her in a comedy in english considering she only does dramas or martial arts..
I heard sandler dropped out

mallorn

Post by mallorn » Feb 12th, '05, 19:15

On the Memoirs of a Geisha movie: I'm really wondering who will play Hatsumomo... has anybody heard anything about this yet? I hope that her total effect will be drop-dead gorgeousness, like in the book! :D

ZZY: I think as far as looks go, she's OK. Yeah, she's not your ordinary Chinese girl beauty, but... She can also act well, IMO, I'm just a bit tired of seeing her face because most of the few Chinese films that are aired over here star her...

icetea987

Post by icetea987 » Feb 13th, '05, 00:20

i read that books....VERY GOOD! hope the movie will be good too :-)

nanshi

Post by nanshi » Feb 13th, '05, 01:16

Good point BT-Slut...

but I figured that ZZY isn't that popular because she doesn't have the beauty that Chinese people consider to be beautiful, which is the whole "bigger eyes, cuter face" kinda thing. ZZY has a more typical Chinese face-- one that I'd probably see walking down the streets of Taipei or Beijing...not what I'd see on a billboard or something.

Camui

Post by Camui » Feb 14th, '05, 18:10

Dodbos wrote: I heard sandler dropped out
Where did you hear that?

BT-Slut~~ I also think that most ppl who **** about her haven't seen 'The Road Home'. Although I think her breast size is nice the way it is. :-)

cetok

Post by cetok » Feb 14th, '05, 21:50

frankly.. i'm not that impressed by her works..her acting is just on par with normal actors..
but yes, she is pretty...but not beautiful

thetenken
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by thetenken » Feb 15th, '05, 06:33

mallorn wrote:On the Memoirs of a Geisha movie: I'm really wondering who will play Hatsumomo... has anybody heard anything about this yet? I hope that her total effect will be drop-dead gorgeousness, like in the book! :D

ZZY: I think as far as looks go, she's OK. Yeah, she's not your ordinary Chinese girl beauty, but... She can also act well, IMO, I'm just a bit tired of seeing her face because most of the few Chinese films that are aired over here star her...
Hatsumomo will be played by Gong Li.

enuyasha

Post by enuyasha » Feb 17th, '05, 19:06

I heard they shot a scene in downtown Sacramento, my hometown!

venz

Post by venz » Feb 22nd, '05, 00:01

i think she is hurt...... and wtf a Chinese playing a Japanese? Those people in China is not gonna like this, most of them are Anti-Jap. They'll prolly attack her and call her a sell-out

laiyee

Memiors of a Geisha....

Post by laiyee » Mar 5th, '05, 00:33

I don't agree Chineses acting in Japanese roles, most of the main female roles are played by Chinese actresses eg ZZY, Gong Li and Michelle Yeoh. Bitterly disappointed :glare:
I can see most ppl on this forum are fans of ZZY and she is pretty but does that mean she looks like a Japanese.........???

selfxplanatory

Post by selfxplanatory » Mar 5th, '05, 06:59

oh no no no... NO, Definitely not Japanese.... no.

no.

:thumbdown:

Yukino Miyazawa

Asian movies

Post by Yukino Miyazawa » Mar 9th, '05, 20:16

I understand that Zhang Ziyi is a popular actress and I believe she is very good. What I don't understand is that she's a chinese girl playing the part of a Japanese geisha. I don't know...I kind of find it strange that in most American productions they just stick an Asian into an asian role even though they may not be that specific type of Asian (ex: Japanese, Chinese, Korean, and so on and so forth). It would be more original to have a Japanese actress in there, and there are plenty of beautiful and capable Japanese actresses. I understand that they wanted to take a famous actress into the movie, but the "all asians look alike so cast them in roles that they aren't" thing just kind of irks me. Does anyone else have that same kind of sentiment? I mean, it's not an offense to Zhang Ziyi, I just find it a bit strange that they couldn't find one single Japanese woman to be Sayuri. And a lot of the cast is Chinese, which is just strange (except for - of course - Ken Watanabe). I doubt that there aren't any good Japanese actors out there.

But do they at least learn Japanese for these roles?

Just a rant for the day.

luxe rabbit

Post by luxe rabbit » Mar 9th, '05, 20:57

zzy is pretty and had a delicate, exotic look to most americans, i would think. i don't know about chinese opinions in regards to her acting skills/physical looks. personally i like her and i think she is very pretty, but what do i know about chinese beauty?
anyways, what i really wanted to ask was when does this movie come out? (EDIT: i didn't read the post above me, gomen!) and again, why is it chinese?

BT-Slut

Re: Asian movies

Post by BT-Slut » May 15th, '05, 20:31

Yukino Miyazawa wrote:It would be more original to have a Japanese actress in there, and there are plenty of beautiful and capable Japanese actresses. I understand that they wanted to take a famous actress into the movie, but the "all asians look alike so cast them in roles that they aren't" thing just kind of irks me. Does anyone else have that same kind of sentiment? I mean, it's not an offense to Zhang Ziyi, I just find it a bit strange that they couldn't find one single Japanese woman to be Sayuri. And a lot of the cast is Chinese, which is just strange (except for - of course - Ken Watanabe). I doubt that there aren't any good Japanese actors out there.
This is par for the course in Hollywood. They do it all the time. The movie Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan is about Chinese and Chinese American women and they used all sorts of Asians in that movie. Tamlyn Tamita--one of my favorite Japanese American actresses--plays a Chinese gal. Another older Vietnamese American lady also portrays a Chinese lady. I have mixed feelings about this. And it's not just a double standard to Asians. We have Brits playing US characters and US actors playing British characters all the time. Gwenyth Paltrow has the worst sounding British accent I've ever heard and she won an Oscar for her role in Shakespear In Love.

Speaking of Oscars and ZZY, I finally got around to watching this years Oscar show and I was rather happy to see ZZY present an award. That's great for her. She's been officially validated in Hollywood it seems. But the lady announcer totally mucked up her name. :crazy: And she definitely needs to improve her English if she wishes to star in more Hollywood movies, but I'm very happy to see her present an award at this years Oscar Awards. Fantastic!

Now I'd like to see KPC do that. LOL... :lol
Attachments
Zhang Zi Yi at 2005 Oscars
Zhang Zi Yi at 2005 Oscars
bscap001.jpg (67.25 KiB) Viewed 8115 times
Zhang Zi Yi presents at the 2005 Oscar Awards ceremony
Zhang Zi Yi presents at the 2005 Oscar Awards ceremony
bscap000.jpg (54.7 KiB) Viewed 8130 times

hsuuperman

Post by hsuuperman » May 15th, '05, 22:30

I dunno, I'm not terribly impressed with her in general. Every role I've seen her in (minus the Road Home) she only does the whole "I'm pissed at the world" routine, which is getting rather old. Crouching Tiger she was an angsty teen. Hero she didn't really do anything in. Purple Butterfly she was a total ****, and just wasn't very convincing overall. Daggers she was just really... blank.

As to good looking... yeah she's really good looking but a bit wayyyy too mean looking if you ask me. That smile of hers kind of gives me the creeps....

veritati

Post by veritati » May 16th, '05, 06:20

venz wrote:i think she is hurt...... and wtf a Chinese playing a Japanese? Those people in China is not gonna like this, most of them are Anti-Jap. They'll prolly attack her and call her a sell-out
One: watch your usage of terms. Two: more likely Japanese will be mad. Actually, Japanese won't be mad but rather laugh at it. What the heck is Hollywood thinking casting Chinese to play Japanese, especially for this kind of period movie. Hollywood must be thinking that all Americans are dumb and stupid. There aren't enough Japanese actors/actresses in Hollywood, but it's not right to use Chinese actors/actresses for this movie. I am sorry. I love ZZY (mirror image of my ex), but a Chinese can never realistically act like a Japanese and vice versa. I guess they just saved me $10.

Usuyami

Post by Usuyami » May 16th, '05, 07:40

yeah, she no doubt will get bashed. Lucy Liu played a Japanese woman in Kill Bill and she was criticised quite alot. And imo, Zhang Ziyi is just okay looking. But there are so few asians known in Hollywood, she is automatically labeled as super-drop-my-jaw-and-my-pants-hot. To backup my point, I don't even find Lucy Liu attractive at all, but she's also labeled as a 'hottie' asian actress in Hollywood.

BT-Slut

Post by BT-Slut » May 16th, '05, 17:17

veritati wrote:I love ZZY (mirror image of my ex), but a Chinese can never realistically act like a Japanese and vice versa..
Hahaha... mirror image? Hahaha... Why don't you upload a picture of your ex and let us decide. And don't upload a picture of the real ZZY, we'll be able to tell.

I've give you $10 to go see the movie if your ex remotely looks like ZZY. :lol

2triky

Post by 2triky » May 16th, '05, 17:33

Usuyami wrote:I.. find Lucy Liu attractive at all, but she's also labeled as a 'hottie' asian actress in Hollywood.
that's because hollywood still has f*cked up stereotypical conventions when it comes to asian-americans and minorities at large....

and she did suck in kill bill.....i've heard japanese language students with a few weeks of instruction with better inflection and intonation. that shiet was painful to listen to as well....i thought it was more painful than all the blood spilled in that film.

BT-Slut

Post by BT-Slut » May 16th, '05, 21:19

2triky wrote:
Usuyami wrote:I.. find Lucy Liu attractive at all, but she's also labeled as a 'hottie' asian actress in Hollywood.
that's because hollywood still has f*cked up stereotypical conventions when it comes to asian-americans and minorities at large....

and she did suck in kill bill.....i've heard japanese language students with a few weeks of instruction with better inflection and intonation. that shiet was painful to listen to as well....i thought it was more painful than all the blood spilled in that film.
Oh yes, and I've heard Koreans and Japanese speak such perfect English in their respective dramas when they pretend to speak fluent English. NOT!

Leave Lucy and ZZY alone. They're great and they've been accepted in Hollywood. At least they don't play little, demure slave/servant girls for the white men in their Hollywood flicks.

Although, admittedly, I don't like the idea of ZZY playing a Japanese geisha either. That's a bit insulting. While the Japanese may place some pride in their high class call girls (geishas), I don't think any Chinese would want their women to strive to be a Japanese geisha.

2triky

Post by 2triky » May 16th, '05, 21:39

BT-Slut wrote:
2triky wrote:
Usuyami wrote:I..
Oh yes, and I've heard Koreans and Japanese speak such perfect English in their respective dramas when they pretend to speak fluent English. NOT!

Leave Lucy and ZZY alone. They're great and they've been accepted in Hollywood. At least they don't play little, demure slave/servant girls for the white men in their Hollywood flicks.
i understand your point but you're going to compare dramas with these internationally released hollywood movies that have multi-million dollar budgets? come on, man! that search and desire for alleged authenticity doesn't compare. moreover, lucy liu's character in that movie was supposed to be a half JAPANESE yakuza boss. i myself don't care for those white man's burden scenarios where the male protagonist has to save the asian damsel....it's hackneyed to death already. but she too also played that role in shanghai noon where owen wilson and jackie chan go forth to save the princess played by lucy liu? at least it was a comedy tho....

i hope lucy liu doesn't continue to churn out those great films like ballistic: ecks vs. sever and charlie's angels :glare:

to each his own... :P

Chun Li

Post by Chun Li » May 17th, '05, 13:27

Well, I guess the Chinese people are happy that ZZY will portray a Japanese girl. There's all those anti Japan protests in China anyway, and some pro-Japan fanatics will take ZZY playing a geisha as a slap in the face. (Much to China's satisfaction)

Atomic

Post by Atomic » Sep 8th, '05, 00:16

The Japanese trailer is out for Memoirs of a Geisha..
Can't wait to see the film.. Too bad it's not playing at the Toronto International Film Festival.
http://www.movies.co.jp/sayuri/trailer/ ... r_500k.wmv

Atomic

Post by Atomic » Sep 8th, '05, 00:24

Some more pics on why i think Zhang Ziyi is definately one of the hottest chicks alive..

mikomi

Post by mikomi » Sep 8th, '05, 00:29

The trailer looks awesome!! At first I was a bit skeptical because all three main female characters aren't played by Japanese actresses, but now, I don't care anymore. Besides Harry Potter part 4, this movie is my most anticipated movie at the end of this year. I just can't wait to see Gong Li in action. She is still as pretty as ever :D

Btw, why are her eyes blue/emerald in the poster?? I thought Sayuri is described to have translucent gray eyes in the book.

tianj

Post by tianj » Sep 8th, '05, 00:32

Why did they make it so she has blue eyes? She's not caucasian, so is this tactic used to get more caucasians to watch this film? Its weird...
Atomic wrote:The Japanese trailer is out for Memoirs of a Geisha..
Can't wait to see the film.. Too bad it's not playing at the Toronto International Film Festival.
http://www.movies.co.jp/sayuri/trailer/ ... r_500k.wmv

Atomic

Post by Atomic » Sep 8th, '05, 00:33

[quote="tianj"]Why did they make it so she has blue eyes? She's not caucasian, so is this tactic used to get more caucasians to watch this film? Its weird...

In the book the character Sayuri had grey eyes.. Blue probably cause it's photoshop

yoonsik

Post by yoonsik » Sep 9th, '05, 17:24

I LOVE ZHANGZI YI

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Sep 9th, '05, 17:28

Is it just me or does the blue eyes in the trailer make her look like a vampire? :unsure:

ladyfoxx

Post by ladyfoxx » Sep 9th, '05, 18:28

I was not happy when I found out that zhang ziyi was going to be sayuri. I've read that book twice and I LOVE it, so I have expectations. No, I don't agree that she's the hottest female and I just don't know about her acting. She's always playing that girl with the butt-kicking, bad-ass attitude; it all gets kinda old. But thank you Atomic for posting the link for the trailer. :-) After seeing the trailer I am very HOPEFUL that instead of seeing zhang ziyi the actor on the screen, it will be sayuri, the geisha from Arthur Golden's story. (please don't dissapoint me zhang ziyi!! :| )

IceThy

Post by IceThy » Sep 9th, '05, 18:40

yea I can't wait to see this movie!! Already read the book and I am totally curious about the filming....

Speedy Zee

Post by Speedy Zee » Nov 9th, '05, 03:02

ya whats the deal with playin chinese actresses for japanese roles and characters? quite messed up that is i think.

Anyhoos, release date for North america, Dcember 23rd!! Wonder when it'll come out to england though... :(

anyala

Post by anyala » Nov 9th, '05, 03:29

wow, the trailer looks good!! can;t wait 2 c the movie... if i'm not mistaken, the colour of sayuri's eyes is meant to be gray so when the light shone on it--->it'll looks blue maybe...not sure abt the light thingy...must be it's for artistic reasons...

i hope the language barrier will not be obstacle for this movie to success...i think zzy has the apparance of sayuri...( i could feel sayuri's character) ...

awww...so excited...!! :lol

lorien86

Post by lorien86 » Nov 9th, '05, 20:49

does anyone think she's hot?

sakura_mars

Post by sakura_mars » Nov 9th, '05, 20:57

Her eyes are grey in all the caps I've seen, but I thik for the poster they made them blue just because it went so well with the red lips...a color thing as opposed to grey. I think the fact she had grey eyes was pretty amazing to see, but that on a poster that is very pop-art, it wouldn't have been striking.

I personally think Zhang Ziyi was the perfect choice. She's had a lot of dance training and hasn't been in only kick-butt films. She had a very tender role in the Long Way Home. Even in Flying Daggers, she had a lot of acting to carry. She's worked with some of the best Chinese actors, and if they believe she can hold a candle next to people like Kôji Yakusho then they must know what they're doing.

redsea

Post by redsea » Nov 9th, '05, 23:26

I read the book and can't wait to see the movie. I really love it and read twice already :lol and hope that the movie will be good as well. It doesn't matter to me who will play the main role as long as she's good at it. But I think she has to try hard cuz a Geisha is a very talent one and have to be traditional Japanese with all the act, walk, smile...etc...Dont know how to explain though lol...I will go to the cinema for this movie defenitely.

shikirocks

Post by shikirocks » Nov 9th, '05, 23:51

Just finished reading the book, and looking forward to seeing the movie. I am quite happy with ZZY, i think she is very talented, and of course there the is the legendary Gong Li, she's always watchable (I can't believe she is playing Hatsumoto!!!).

ironicwave
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ironicwave » Nov 10th, '05, 00:24

granted, celebrities make heaps of dough and i'm sure there are other fringe benefits, but just reading this thread, it must suck to be in the public eye. XD

i'll be looking forward to watching the movie, i hope it will give me a nice evening of entertainment, if not, i'll suck it up and drive on.

azndgn26

Post by azndgn26 » Nov 10th, '05, 02:14

Can't wait fer the release of the movie. It's so excitin how all of our Chinese celebraties are collaboratin wit our American celebraties. :lol :D

pe3kabo0

Post by pe3kabo0 » Nov 30th, '05, 18:51

i cant wait to watch this movie! i read the book over summer and i loved it.

although a lot of japanese and chinese people arent happy. understandably but whatever!

milleu87

Post by milleu87 » Nov 30th, '05, 19:00

can i'm dissapointed with michele yeoh as mameha? i mean i know that she's a good actor but i just imagine mameha feature is softer and much more prettier.i'm okay with zzy.and i totally can see how they pick Kôji Yakusho. he does look like the chairman.

IceThy

Post by IceThy » Dec 1st, '05, 02:47

I also imagine mameha as u do milleu but I think michelle yeohs talent will make up our opinion.
I'm so overexcited about this movie. Can't wait........

jeudi

Post by jeudi » Dec 1st, '05, 06:34

The preview for the movie seems pretty good. Although i still have some misgiving that they did not cast any japanese actresses in any of the main character, i think i will go see it.

heppy

Post by heppy » Dec 1st, '05, 13:25

i wanna watch it too!! but realli must depends on whether i find some1 to go with me.. i've been v excited since i saw the article in times mag.. i think gongli is a very good actress.. zzy i don't mind also.. her pic in the mag so pretty!!! but they're speakin in eng so it may somewhat sound weird with their chinese accent.. but the time mag gave good review.. i need to find the article again.. smth like it gives audience a good cry not a cheap 1.. excited!! ^^
awwwwwwwwwwww.. i wanna read the book too.. gonna go find it someday..

yaokian

Post by yaokian » Dec 5th, '05, 05:39

Heard from tons of people that the book is really good.... But I'm not much of a Zhang Zi Yi fan. As noted by many of the members already, I don't agree that she's "beautiful" -- in some pictures, she looks pretty, others she looks okay. Sometimes she has that "mean" and arrogant look that scares me. I am sure that she worked really hard to reach where she's at today and I acknowledge her talent. But my first impression of her was a bad-ass character seen in sex scenes and then seeing her follow up in a number of movies with this type of character kinda creates a dislike towards ZZY. It'll be interesting to see how the public responds to this movie especially how the Japanese and Chinese population.

I look forward to seeing Gong Li and Michelle Yeoh in the movie though.

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Dec 5th, '05, 05:47

tianj wrote:Why did they make it so she has blue eyes? She's not caucasian, so is this tactic used to get more caucasians to watch this film? Its weird...
First I saw the add I thought it was a commercial for a perfume named Geisha or something. Btw, it premiers January 16th in the UK for those located there.
Elsewhere I have no clue, but I guess it'll be a good one for a movie.

As for the pretty part, she's to skinny, sadly, and Zhao Wei is unfortunately going the same way. Makes me wonder if they feed their actresses properly in China.

crossvii

Post by crossvii » Dec 5th, '05, 15:56

techie wrote:As for the pretty part, she's to skinny, sadly, and Zhao Wei is unfortunately going the same way. Makes me wonder if they feed their actresses properly in China.
Hollywood can't even feed their own actors/actresses right :P

I thought Zhiyi was pretty fine in HOFD.

slippyepic

Post by slippyepic » Dec 7th, '05, 08:00

Zhang Zhiyi's very much like Nicole Kidman in how she can manipulate her relationship with the camera in order to demonstrate beautiful, but gnarled postures of extreme distress. But where Nicole Kidman seems uniquely attuned to brutal martyrdom, Zhang Zhiyi's characters go through rituals of humiliation. She is at her best when her characters are punished for their pride; the more arrogant her youth, the better we can enjoy her glorious falls from grace. Her fiery edge, her athletic bitchiness, is absolutely necessary for us to feel for her when she screws up. And for that said, I wonder whether she'll be miscast for this role. She's going to win this time; do we really want that?

I like Zhang Zhiyi, but I'm going to watch the film because of Gong Li. I can't think of a mainstream actress capable of portraying soul-thwarted, hope-crushing bitterness through "movie movie" glamour better than Gong Li. For me, she is, almost eternally, a fury of some Chinese condition, that unique blend of bitterness, cynicism, and yet moral prejudice, which becomes a rite of passage for a young woman to matriarchy. With that face, she can be vicious, cruel, sarcastic. And with that face, she can be defeat itself. She is the forceful reminder as well as the inheritor of the national guilt trip. She is perfect for this part.

So, yeah, it's for me a battle between the Zhang Yimou ladies. Good luck Zhang Zhiyi. :)

cow

Post by cow » Dec 8th, '05, 00:52

not a single chinese person from mainland china + tw + hk likes zhang zi yi coz we all believe tat she sleeps her way up hence a slut :mrgreen: now that she has succesfully secured herself with 1 of the richest + youngest bachelor from hk, the conversation (jealously?) just gets hotter :dance:

thanks to this movie, many mainland chinese ppl threatened to kill her coz she has "shamed" her country by acting as the jp geisha; and now the jp didnt like her tat much either since shes acting as a geisha, which is thought to be a jap cultural treasure :roll:

for me its just a hollywood entertainment afteral. dun understand y ppl should involve politics/history in it. :scratchchin: unless its a serious documentary aimed to tell ppl something then.. no pt getting so serious abt it right?

:offtopic: the love-hate relationship between jp and cn (and korea) goes back a loooong time, way b4 the WWs but it got worse now since the jp gov been hiding the truth from their own ppl that they've masscared millions of chinese + koreans + south east asians; on top of that the top ministers been paying respect to the war criminals at the yasukuni shrine so in a way they are glorifying what these war criminals have done. put it this way: can you imagine the german gov paying respect to the Nazis + Hitler at a church yr after yr??? :offtopic:

cow.