Do you do your own cooking? :-)

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
liongig680

Do you do your own cooking? :-)

Post by liongig680 » Dec 17th, '05, 19:13

well i am seeding at the moment and bit bore as so I just want to have little chit chat to kill time off

I am studying outside my own country. when i was back home, my mum used to cook for me all the time (well she still do). When I first came to study abroad, it's really really tough as I cannot cook. Plus i didn't find local cuisine as good as home cuisine :-( At the time, i was in boarding school so I just ate school food or occasionally buy from local chinese takeway (I cann't buy everyday).

few years later my brothers also come to study with me. and the lazy bugger is as worse or worse than me as he too cannot cook (I cannot believe this since he went to study aboard from 6 - 17 so I sort of expect him to well ........know his way round the wok how wrong I am :crazy: )

that was in Feb 2005 yes just 10 months ago. Since then I just start to do my own cooking. along with sky driving (used to do back at boarding), i think it is the hardest thing i ever done. Even simple thing like fried rice, I used to burn all the rice but I did slightly better now (still not as good as my mum :D she is the best better than 5 stars hotel)

anyway this is getting long so do tell me some of your own cooking experience so Mr. boredom can go home and put the smile back in my face :lol

tlina069
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by tlina069 » Dec 17th, '05, 19:31

I used to do a lot of cooking when I was in college and hosted quite a lot of dinner parties. If you have a group of friends who love cooking, you can try this out: Back in college, I had a group of friends who love cooking and what we did was taking turn cooking dinner. So say Monday is my turn, then the rest of the gang will come to my house for dinner, then Tuesday we all go to B's house, so on and so forth. And Saturdays are open for anything. If we feel like cooking some more then we do potluck, if not, then we go out. This way, we always have home made cooking instead of eating junk food. Plus because everybody is from different countries, we got to try different kind of food. It was one of the best time of my life. :D Now...I'm back to instant noodles and frozen food cuz my husband is still finishing school in Wisconsin while I'm working in Philadelphia. Hehehehehehe.... :D

OvertheRainbow

Post by OvertheRainbow » Dec 17th, '05, 19:40

My mom cooks for me too...well mainly because Im not old enough to cook

When I was a boarding school, I would eat the school's food..it was good, they had a variety of foods everyday
and you could order sushi ..Yum!

suebee

Post by suebee » Dec 17th, '05, 19:53

I like to cook, but usually I don't have time since most of the time I work until 8 or 9 and I like to be in bed by 10 or 10:30. If I don't fly in late on Sundays (I'm in another city/state during the week for work) and not in a lazy mood, I'll cook enough food to last me through the week. It's usually simple Chinese food (soy sauce with everything :P ). Non-Chinese foods that I cook the most are spaghetti and egg sandwiches (I like to think I make fab egg sandwiches! :D ). Other than that I'll just eat little-to-no-prep-required food like yogurt, soup, hummus & crackers, salad...

On the weekends, it depends on where I am. If I fly home to see my family, I'll sometimes help my mom with the cooking. If I visit friends, there's usually no cooking involved.

azndgn26

Post by azndgn26 » Dec 17th, '05, 20:03

i dun cook cuz I'm too lazy & I dunno how to cook. So, my mom does the cookin but she's a bad cook *sigh*

liongig680

Post by liongig680 » Dec 17th, '05, 21:11

It's usually simple Chinese food (soy sauce with everything ). Non-Chinese foods that I cook the most are spaghetti
hello
suebee

yes spagetti is dead easy :-) to do I do that a lot too (bolognese and cabonara is the two I do) and what you mention with chinese food with soy sauce is absolutely true. my friend said MSG with chinese too :D but I don't use that

oh tlina069

now I go to uni (not at school now) and I don't stay at uni hall so food was a wee bit of problem (well still is really) but I try to learn new menu every week. today I just made stir fried vegetable with tofu (i love tofu) nice and light meal for me

OvertheRainbow & azndgn26

you both are very lucky. bless your mum :-) :D

milleu87

Post by milleu87 » Dec 17th, '05, 21:21

i cook when i'm desperate. i moved to an apartment over the summer and i have to cook.ordering chinese food every day can be quite expensive. at home my mom used to cook for me. that was heaven. when i went to boarding school the food there was okay. well you have to eat whatever they cook. taste weird the first time but you'll get used to it. i'm actually missing the food there*i can't believe i'm saying this* so when i went abroad for study i don't know how to cook at all. i don't even knew how to cook rice,which is like the most basic level of cooking. so my friend teach me how to do that.i guess if you have a kitchen sooner or later you will know how to cook basic stuff. i'm learning a few dishes as i'm living with my friends.

tlina069
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by tlina069 » Dec 17th, '05, 21:37

now I go to uni (not at school now) and I don't stay at uni hall so food was a wee bit of problem (well still is really) but I try to learn new menu every week. today I just made stir fried vegetable with tofu (i love tofu) nice and light meal for me

=== The food @ my college dining hall is el-suck-o-bi-o-time-o. Well, that's because I also worked there. So I was really sick of looking and smelling the food. Hehehehe... Have you ever tried buying Lee Kum Kee's sauces? You should check out an Asian store out there. The one that is really good with tofu is the Black Pepper and Garlic Sauce. All you do: dice the tofu, use a bit of sesame oil, put some chopped garlic if you want, put in about 2 tbsp of the sauce, and then dump the diced tofu in. Stir until it's well mixed then serve over rice or rice noodles. Then of course there's always that Mapo Tofu sauce, can't remember the brand or try buying the japanese curry blocks, I think it's called Golden something something. It's very good. :)

blackstarjr

Post by blackstarjr » Dec 17th, '05, 21:43

hmm..Well yes and no..Usually my mom cooks, so I donn have to worry about starving myself to death, but when my mom goes out of town or cannot cook cus she is busy, the only person I can rely on is "Mr.Ramen" The only friend I can rely on in my time of crisis..lol..Well if I really had to cook then I can whip up lotta stuff, but that takes time and I hte spending time cooking.Once I spent like 2 hrs cooking a dish is saw in a book.It was not bad, but the kitchen was a mess :lol

Shindou-Kun
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Shindou-Kun » Dec 17th, '05, 21:44

Hmm.. I just moved out from my parents on my own six months ago. So far I've been doing fine. I enjoy cooking so it isn't really a problem. The only problem I can think of is that it's boring just cooking for one person. Nobody around to say, AH! HOW GOOD, YOUR AN EXCELENT COOK and so on.

So I guess really need a girlfriend 8)

yunwun2k1

Post by yunwun2k1 » Dec 17th, '05, 21:47

I *TRY* to cook most of the time, and I eat it even if it does turn out bad......really have no choice!

My parents taught me to eat whenever you have the chance, in case of an emergency or some terrible disaster, where you can't eat for DAYS.... I bet you would be happy if you did eat beforehand! :lol

wingsky

Post by wingsky » Dec 17th, '05, 22:42

i can cook.. usually rice and chicken or fish usually... dunno why i dun cook beef or something... but i miss a new rice cooker... mine broke... i really need it... burnt my rice tonight when i was cooking it in a saucepan :lol

kwon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kwon » Dec 17th, '05, 22:58

From the age of 8 I started cooking for me and my brother(well we cooked our food together), because my parents both worked full time. It's not that I cook very well, since I have prepared my own food quite some time now. But the last few years my parents work from home, so now my dads cooks almost all the time(he's a chef), my mom can't cook... Just once in a while, I cook for myself. Only simple stuff, I don't run a restaurant hehe... I love making sushi, it's so easy and you don't need many ingredients...

oberon

Post by oberon » Dec 17th, '05, 23:07

hahahah I live on my own, but I almost never cook, but I can cook..
I eat a lot with friends and let them do all the cooking(I'm very lazy). But that also means that I have to clean everything. Damn doing the dish or cooking?? I think a like cooking better..

cees

Post by cees » Dec 17th, '05, 23:17

to tell the truth i dont know how to cook at all even boiling an egg :scratch: .........but i wil tell u what i can do i can make my sandwich 8) .....dont think of a club andwich or anything like that i just know how to make a cheese sandwich :-)

Schala

Post by Schala » Dec 18th, '05, 01:10

I do my own cooking all the time. But it usually just involves pulling something out of the freezer and tossing it into the microwave or oven. So it really doesn't require much work. Lol.

But I CAN cook homemade meals too. I used to bake a lot, and my mom realized how good I was, and then started making me do all the baking. Christmas, birthdays, parties, etc. she forced me to do the baking because she knew I was good at it. But I was so sick of being forced to do something that was supposed to be fun for me, that it soon became a chore, and I lost the desire to bake or cook. x_x

yobri

Post by yobri » Dec 18th, '05, 01:19

Yup, I cook when I'm at home. I don't have a whole lot of variety in my meals, but I do have the same 12-15 recipes that I rotate in my dinner cycles.

ToriQ

Post by ToriQ » Dec 18th, '05, 04:17

I've lived away from home for 5 years now, so haven't really had a choice in taking on task of cooking for oneself. It was cook or starve. There was always the take away option, but even after time that starts really wear thin. I guess it's the thought that you never know exactly what you are gettin. I believe cooking is a good skill to have as it gives you the ability to support yourself.

shinko

Post by shinko » Dec 18th, '05, 04:34

I believe cooking is a good skill to have as it gives you the ability to support yourself
yea...i agree with ToriQ...my parents train my sisters and I to cook since young so that we could cook meals for ourselves when we are away from home. so i seldom eat outside and cook meals for myself. But i'm rather lazy :-) , i always ended up eating one proper meal( rice, chicken,vege) per day

cees

Post by cees » Dec 18th, '05, 04:48

i have a suggestion why not each person right a reciepe and post it so we can try it. :D ....and those who dont know how 2 cook would learn here(like me) :cheers:

ToriQ

Post by ToriQ » Dec 18th, '05, 05:01

shinko wrote:
I believe cooking is a good skill to have as it gives you the ability to support yourself
yea...i agree with ToriQ...my parents train my sisters and I to cook since young so that we could cook meals for ourselves when we are away from home. so i seldom eat outside and cook meals for myself. But i'm rather lazy :-) , i always ended up eating one proper meal( rice, chicken,vege) per day
Same for me. My parents made sure that my brother and I could cook from a young age. I'm lucky as I get a good meal provided for me at work, so I only have to cook once a day!
cees wrote:i have a suggestion why not each person right a reciepe and post it so we can try it. :D ....and those who dont know how 2 cook would learn here(like me) :cheers:
That's a good idea! However, I doubt I have used more than 3 reciepes since I've been cooking for myself. The best way that worked for me was to just give something a go. You learn what works and doesn't as you go along. However, if you don't know where to start this could be a problem... :scratch:

P0KEY
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by P0KEY » Dec 18th, '05, 05:06

nope, i don`t cook. my mom does it ^^

i`ll be sad when i leave home, though.... i suck at cooking and i`m used to eating awesome food :cry:

anglvue

Post by anglvue » Dec 18th, '05, 05:23

i've been sick for almost two weeks and i've been craving EVERYTHING! because it's about food and cooking, this is the best topic right now. yummy! hahaha...

i'm not a great cook but i can cook. i made thanksgiving dinner in november. i made actual mashed potatoes instead of using the stuff out of a box. i was sure proud of myself. the stuffing was yummy! like most of you, i also take the easy way out. TOP RAMEN!!!!! hahaha...i like ramen in a cup as soup or fried. i love pasta!!!! i just went on a spree buying noodles and sauce so i can make lasagne and baked ziti next week.
this is a simple ramen recipe. i make this when i'm too lazy to make real food.

cup/package of noodles
green onions, chopped
cilantro, chopped
meat,sliced
salt
black pepper

cook noodles according to package
drain noodles
stir fry meat, add some salt
add in noodles when meat cooked
add in green onions and cilantro
season whichever way you like (salt, black pepper, msg, or whatever)

it's really simple. add what you want in there. mushrooms, bell pepper, onions, anything goes as long as you like it. i love to add in lots of sriracha chili sauce after it's cooked.

easy

Post by easy » Dec 18th, '05, 12:24

I cannot cook, just simple things like Noodles, Mush, Scrambled Eggs or Frozen Pizza *lol*
But I don't need more .. My mother is working the whole day, so she only makes a Salat in the evening or stuff like that .. She isn't a big cooker, too ^^

Sana

Post by Sana » Dec 18th, '05, 12:32

I can make rice porridge. Indeed, the student has surpassed the master (aka Mama).

wingsky

Post by wingsky » Dec 18th, '05, 12:39

Sana wrote:I can make rice porridge. Indeed, the student has surpassed the master (aka Mama).
How to make rice porridge? Ahhh tell me pls I always wondered... post your receipe! :-)

sadotsu

Post by sadotsu » Dec 18th, '05, 12:45

My parents do all the cooking at my house... they want me to start learning how to cook, though. I hate cooking, so I really don't want to and I think it's totally stupid of them to try to teach me.

redsea

Post by redsea » Dec 18th, '05, 13:09

I didnt know how to cook when I was at home with my parents. One time, I tried to cook a meal for them since both of them work and go home very late that day. Well....in the morning I see my food together with garbage ... :cry: I saw they tried to eat them but i guess it's difficult to swallow :lol :lol ....After that day, my mom realise how bad I am at cooking and she try to help me....Anyways, just when i go abroad for studying, I actually try to cook and it gets better now. Lucky me :lol

Cooking is a must to support yourself. I cannot eat junk food all the time. They are not always delicious if you eat everyday and they make you fat

Sana

Post by Sana » Dec 18th, '05, 13:32

wingsky wrote:
How to make rice porridge? Ahhh tell me pls I always wondered... post your receipe! :-)
I usually eyeball it. So, I guess saying "Put in a handful of rice with a ton of water." isn't going to cut it. 8) I found a receipe that's closest to my own method. :P

Serves 6+

Ingredients

1 cup rice (long, medium or short grain)
6 cups water

Method

1. Wash rice until water is reasonable clear, drain
2. Boil water, add rice
3. Stir as you bring the rice to the boil again
4. Simmer on a very low heat for 20 minutes, (do not cover). The last 5 minutes may need an occasional stir to prevent sticking
5. Turn heat off. Stir to equalize heat
6. Put lid on pot and let rest for 10 minutes
7. Serve with accompaniments

My shortcut method is to use already cooked rice from the rice cooker. The cooking time is shortened by around 30 percent.

P0KEY
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by P0KEY » Dec 18th, '05, 17:18

Sana wrote:
wingsky wrote:
I usually eyeball it. So, I guess saying "Put in a handful of rice with a ton of water." isn't going to cut it. 8) I found a receipe that's closest to my own method. :P

Serves 6+

Ingredients

6 cups water

Method

2. Boil water, add rice
4. Simmer on a very low heat for 20 minutes, (do not cover). The last 5 minutes may need an occasional stir to prevent sticking

My shortcut method is to use already cooked rice from the rice cooker. The cooking time is shortened by around 30 percent.
with that, you can also make a thousand year old egg porridge, it`s really good. just add thousand year old eggs, onions, ground meat, and pepper and salt... also you can add some dried clam thingies in there too :-)

and if you want something sweet, add raisins :heart:

and for another kind of porridge (i really like this one) you put in sliced cabbage and spam :-) it sounds nasty, but when you try it, it`s yummy :-)

Shizuru

Post by Shizuru » Dec 18th, '05, 17:28

Well I'm studying at Uni right now. Majoring in Culinary Arts meaning chef training.
So, yeah I love cooking but when I'm at home I still prefer my moms cooking :thumright:

OvertheRainbow

Post by OvertheRainbow » Dec 18th, '05, 17:31

I like watching people cook x)

P0KEY
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by P0KEY » Dec 18th, '05, 17:32

OvertheRainbow wrote:I like watching people cook x)
food network probably is my favorite channel :heart: lol

OvertheRainbow

Post by OvertheRainbow » Dec 18th, '05, 17:34

Yupe...Its fun seeing the delicious food

asmodaiii

Post by asmodaiii » Dec 18th, '05, 17:52

Usually my delicious food is ramen :cry:

cees

Post by cees » Dec 18th, '05, 18:53

thanx everyone 4 ur receipes

Karo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Karo » Dec 18th, '05, 20:14

hmmm... I'm a student at uni... my mum's working, my sister is too at uni and my brother is working too. So normally we don't cook, but eat somewhere else.
So during the week i don't eat a lot, cause I don't want to pay lots of money for stuff to eat. And I'm lazy too, so I don't cook.

I don't cook... because it's just too much work, and I can't think of anything to cook.
So I end up with a second breakfast... kind of. ^^v
Weird thing is: I really like to cook something. ^^ It's fun!!! ^^ And people say that I'm quite a good cook.
Sooo... I want to cook more stuff in future!!! It's also more healthy than eating some breakfast stuff... *nod*

Lowest

Post by Lowest » Dec 18th, '05, 21:10

More people should give their recipes, I made rice porridge! but I didn't have much to put in with it so I used pickled onions! :D (well it said any pickled vegetable) and it's ok!

wingsky

Post by wingsky » Dec 19th, '05, 01:24

Sana wrote:I usually eyeball it. So, I guess saying "Put in a handful of rice with a ton of water." isn't going to cut it. 8) I found a receipe that's closest to my own method. :P

Serves 6+

Ingredients

6 cups water

Method

2. Boil water, add rice

Can't wait to make my own congee! Thx man,... :thumleft:

suebee

Post by suebee » Dec 19th, '05, 01:29

Just a tip: Medium or short grain is usually best. Long grain soaks up more water.

pRincEton giRL

Post by pRincEton giRL » Dec 19th, '05, 04:17

i dont really do. maybe the usual, i mean the easy one like boil a hot water for my coffee, fried an egg then toast a bread. bwa ha ha.. that's all i knew.. :scratchchin:

mrs_xaiko

Post by mrs_xaiko » Dec 19th, '05, 17:27

yeap...i do my own cooking.....i have to cook for my husband everyday...but its not hard to cook for him since he only eats eggs, ramen, sausages, hotdogs, broccoli, and chicken....he refuses to eat anything else....or try anything new (food).....

redsea

Post by redsea » Dec 19th, '05, 20:36

May I add some tips for the congee?

Before add the rice and water to boil, the rice will taste good if you fry them a little bit with small fire in the pan. When you see it become dry ,which is very quick, than add water. Don't over fry it :lol

You can add mushroom (slice) and small meat balls ( pork) when the congee become hot and going to boil. When the soup is boiling, wait a little bit for the meat and mushroom well-cooked.

You can also fry slices of purple onion (about 2 onions), not the green leaf, with oil (remmeber to put enough of oil for frying the onions) and put the fire medimum, also stiring all the time until they become yellow. Put that fried onion with oil to the congee before serve. If someone doesn't like the smell of onion then...dont do this.

Hope you will have a nice congee.

wingsky

Post by wingsky » Dec 19th, '05, 22:00

mrs_xaiko wrote:yeap...i do my own cooking.....i have to cook for my husband everyday...but its not hard to cook for him since he only eats eggs, ramen, sausages, hotdogs, broccoli, and chicken....he refuses to eat anything else....or try anything new (food).....
wah you already married at 17?? congrats :salut:

Sana

Post by Sana » Dec 20th, '05, 00:56

Hmmm, am I the only one who likes eating their rice porridge with soy sauce? It's smarter to use the lite version so you don't get high blood pressure from all that sodium, but I find that it tastes disgusting. :roll
Last edited by Sana on Dec 20th, '05, 01:01, edited 1 time in total.

wingsky

Post by wingsky » Dec 20th, '05, 00:58

soy sauce is good, my dad used to make it with chicken spring onion bit of sweetcorn.. soy sauce is like ketchup with chips tho? just a little on the top :D not too much!

anglvue

Post by anglvue » Dec 20th, '05, 06:57

i really don't like rice porridge. i'm getting kinda grossed out with all these things you guys keep putting in there. :pale: hahaha... i only eat it when i'm forced to. i guess i should give it a second chance and try it with all those different things. maybe.

ToriQ

Post by ToriQ » Dec 20th, '05, 12:10

Sana wrote:Hmmm, am I the only one who likes eating their rice porridge with soy sauce? It's smarter to use the lite version so you don't get high blood pressure from all that sodium, but I find that it tastes disgusting. :roll
I am a fan of soy sauce on my rice :thumleft: However, I have been told that you aren't meant to do that??? :cry:

mms

Post by mms » Dec 20th, '05, 14:00

of course i do.
Attachments
nyam nyam
nyam nyam
ikang400300.jpg (60.56 KiB) Viewed 7048 times

fuddleduddle

Post by fuddleduddle » Dec 20th, '05, 14:08

congee is great and really good for you :]

kwon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kwon » Dec 20th, '05, 15:40

I love congee, but I really can't eat porridge :pale:

NYSurf

Takoyaki

Post by NYSurf » Dec 20th, '05, 15:51

Guys I have a question... Who here has ever had Takoyaki?

Okay. I'll add a picture here. I'm from New York and I found a Takoyaki place near NYU. Check it out.. What are the pink flakes that they put on Takoyaki? The lady at the store told me it was fish... And what do you call that sauce they put on it? The green stuff is seaweed right? Here they will ask if you want mayonaise on it...sound kinda wierd?

Anywho, let me know folks I appreciate the help.

I t a d a k i m a s u !

どもごちそさまでした!
Attachments
takoyaki_big.jpg
takoyaki_big.jpg (18.42 KiB) Viewed 6592 times

kwon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kwon » Dec 20th, '05, 15:54

I'm not sure what Takoyaki is, but the thing about the mayonaise... Sometimes I put mayonaise in my sushi rolls, it tastes great(well you gotta have the right mayonaise hehe)!
Anyway, the Takoyaki looks delicious mmm...

NYSurf

Post by NYSurf » Dec 20th, '05, 15:56

kwon wrote:I'm not sure what Takoyaki is, but the thing about the mayonaise... Sometimes I put mayonaise in my sushi rolls, it tastes great(well you gotta have the right mayonaise hehe)!
Anyway, the Takoyaki looks delicious mmm...
Takoyaki is octopus puffs. There's like calamari in each of those puffs! yum yum. Research it on google. good stuff ;-)

cees

Post by cees » Dec 20th, '05, 22:16

the Takoyaki looks yummy!...would like to try it

godmode

Post by godmode » Dec 20th, '05, 22:21

I can cook...instant ramen! >_>
and uh..white rice...
T_T

canon05

Post by canon05 » Dec 20th, '05, 22:28

For myself usually it's fried egg, spiced chicken, some veggie, different kinds of ingredients with Maggie. I try to cook different meals everyday.

albertoavena

Post by albertoavena » Dec 21st, '05, 11:03

I guess I can cook pretty well. My Father used to be a chef and I guess some of that rubbed off on me. I hate eating fast foods! So unhealthy...

Felguard

Post by Felguard » Dec 21st, '05, 11:08

Yeah, I eat cup noodles and cereal. lmao.

ladyfoxx

Post by ladyfoxx » Dec 21st, '05, 11:22

albertoavena wrote:I guess I can cook pretty well. My Father used to be a chef and I guess some of that rubbed off on me. I hate eating fast foods! So unhealthy...
YES, I agree, fast food is very unhealthy, although that sucks because it can be so cheap! I bet you've seen that movie Supersize Me, something like that. If not, watch it!

I actually can cook because my mom forced my sisters and i to learn since we were children. i cook italian, chinese, korean, japanese, and american; i'm trying to get a grasp on mediterrean because they supposidly eat healthy. Oh, and I LOVE to bake!Anyway, I didn't learn how to really cook seriously on my own until I moved out of my parent's house. Then I had my boyfriend coming over for dinner so I had to be creative or he'd go out and buy Jack 'n the box or something.

But yeah, cooking is fun and especially when you do it for a loved one, it feels even better. Time is always an issue but if you make time to experiment just a little, you might surprise yourselves. :D

imamess

Post by imamess » Dec 21st, '05, 16:40

i love to cook and almost went to culinary school. but i'd rather sit at a computer doing design all day than cook. it's more of a hobby for me.

i just made pork tenderloin with a marsala murshroom sauce and mashed sweet potatoes for some friends last night. it was great. the best thing i ever made was lobster with tarragon champagne butter. but taking the meat out of the lobster was quite a job. i cut myself a few times on the shells.

lilrabbit

Re: Takoyaki

Post by lilrabbit » Dec 22nd, '05, 06:39

I love to cook, especially baking! :D I think I probably would have gone to culinary school and possibly become a pastry chef if there hadn't already been another field that appealed to me more. Cooking is more of a hobby to me, though. Of course, I cook regular meals frequently, but "fancy" meals and foods are the hobby part.

Cooking is really fun! Almost everyone likes food, and I think it brings people together. I made a lot of friends sharing my baked cakes and cookies with people. :)
NYSurf wrote:Guys I have a question... Who here has ever had Takoyaki?

Okay. I'll add a picture here. I'm from New York and I found a Takoyaki place near NYU. Check it out.. What are the pink flakes that they put on Takoyaki? The lady at the store told me it was fish... And what do you call that sauce they put on it? The green stuff is seaweed right? Here they will ask if you want mayonaise on it...sound kinda wierd?

Anywho, let me know folks I appreciate the help.
Are you talking about Otafuku on 9th Street? The pink flakes are bonito flakes and the green stuff is aonori (seaweed). I think the sauce is just takoyaki sauce. I get mine with all the toppings. I don't mind the mayonnaise, and it's not like it's an uncommon condiment. There's a popular Belgian fries place (supposedly one of the best in NYC, but not my taste) around the same area called Pomme Frites, and I think they taste the best with the ketchup, mayonnaise, and onion sauce. :) Back to Otafuku, I also tried the cheese takoyaki once because it's cheaper (but no octopus), and it was bleh. I also tried frozen microwavable takoyaki, and that was horrible.

joori

Post by joori » Dec 22nd, '05, 11:07

well...

hmmmmm...

if u count baking a cake and preparing dessert cooking...then I'm a chef!! :P

ahaw

ahnyong haseyo

Post by ahaw » Dec 22nd, '05, 11:29

i'm no good in cooking but sometimes i do cook for my family....
;p :argue:

wai_muna

Post by wai_muna » Apr 22nd, '06, 07:45

i cook sometimes....but now im too lazy to cook...my mom seldom cook...hehehhehe :P but im a good cook...

im good at malay food....seriously....

Moenyc2000

Post by Moenyc2000 » Apr 22nd, '06, 07:48

I dont cook, I pay someone to do it for me. Also pay someone to wash my clothes and clean my house....So yeah I guess im quite lazy lol..

Pyoko

Post by Pyoko » Apr 22nd, '06, 07:50

joori wrote:well...

hmmmmm...

if u count baking a cake and preparing dessert cooking...then I'm a chef!! :P
Same... :D
I'll cook as long as it's relatively clean... can't stand touching raw meat... :pale:

sokiie

Post by sokiie » Apr 23rd, '06, 00:37

I like cooking (most of the time)… and since summer is just around the corner, I thought I’d share this recipe.

Summer Sensation

- 2 cups Raspberry sherbert
- 1 cup Skim milk
- 1 Pkg (4serving size) Jello fat free Vanilla instant pudding
- 3 cups Cool whip (light) topping
- 1 cup Raspberries

- Line 9 x 5 loaf pan with foil.
- Spoon soften sherbert in. ( Then freeze 1/2 hr)

- Pour milk into bowl, add pudding mix, stir for 2 mins. or until well blended.
- Gently stir in Cool Whip.
- Spread over frozen sherbert.
- Freeze 3 hrs or overnight
- Turn upside down on a plate remove foil & add Raspberries.

:-) Yummy. . . . Try it! *It's very easy to make*

LYF7anatic

Post by LYF7anatic » Apr 23rd, '06, 00:45

Can't cook? No problem, there is always McDonald's. What's new now, double fillet o-fish. Maybe I should drop by later. :w00t:

Starlightkitty7

Post by Starlightkitty7 » May 3rd, '06, 14:09

My mom cooks for us all. Now I'm starting to learn a tiny bit from her.....but i don't cook for the family. I made a nice meal and wine though for her birthday! ^__^ She said it was delicious. (I ate some too...it WAS good.)

Mista_Cool

Post by Mista_Cool » May 3rd, '06, 14:29

I've been on my own for a year now. Cooking was hard at the beginning but after a couple of months I got used to it, now I can cook some really great things like curry chicken chinese, stir fry, roast pork! Almost as good as mum's! It's nice when peeps come over and you can throw somwthin' good together.

Alexander

Post by Alexander » May 3rd, '06, 14:54

For the most part my mother makes the food,.... but I cook noodles quite often. (Yeah, really hard thing to do :lol )

Crazy Penguin

Post by Crazy Penguin » May 3rd, '06, 16:32

Always, and I love it.

COOKING!

I'm still playing with the idea of starting an Austrian restaurant in Japan... It's just... a little toying around, nothing serious, though, it would be a funny idea, if pulled decently.

teamFun

Post by teamFun » May 3rd, '06, 18:11

I enjoy cooking, but only when I have the time to do it leisurely... Otherwise it becomes a burden!! LOL... I am good with pasta and most Western dishes... and because people tend to get sick around me (I am bad luck I guess), my congee isnt too bad either... :P

Crazy Penguin, an Austrian restaurant in Japan sounds sweet!! If you ever get round to it, let me know... I will make sure to drop by when I visit Japan... LOL :lol

Crazy Penguin

Post by Crazy Penguin » May 3rd, '06, 18:19

Well, considering how crazy the Japanese seem to be over Germany and Austria (just watch their tourists here, or the oddball "German" restaurants they have in Japan)... I think it'd do quite well lol.