My Girl (SBS, 2005/6)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
ngongan

My Girl (SBS, 2005/6)

Post by ngongan » Dec 17th, '05, 11:09

Another "sassy" girl is to meet TV audiences every Wednesday and Thursday nights beginning this week, as director Jeon Ki-sang unfolds his jovial imagination in a new SBS drama "My Girl". As a "professional" trickster, this new heroine is promised to be cheekier and sassier than the last.

Through the KBS drama "Sassy Girl, Chun-hyang", which ended with overwhelming success in March, director Jeon has already proven his talent in producing romantic comedies with a "different" type of heroine.

Director Jeon's motto is to produce a drama that he himself can "laugh his head off" while watching.

"It's not like I have an exceptional philosophy about drama-making. I just want people to have a good laugh, and realize in between the laughs that life is actually quite joyful," Jun told reporters in a news conference last week.

In the previous drama, Jun recreated the loyal woman Seong Chun-hyang from a well-known Korean classic "Chung-hyang jeon (Chun-hyang's story), into a headstrong sassy girl, receiving an enthusiastic response from females in their teens and early 20s. This time, the heroine Ju Yu-rin, played by actress Lee Da-hae, is a cheeky con-artist who learns from her troublesome father that ripping people off is the easiest way to make a living.

But meaning no harm by her "little" lies, Yu-rin is an irresistible character who never loses the sense of humor and optimism despite the bitterness of life.

"It seems that all female characters are standardized in TV dramas, and thus, I try to create a new character that viewers have never come across before," said Jun.

As the story unfolds, the lovable con-girl will meet Seol Gong-chan (Lee Dong-wook), a cool-headed businessman who asks her to act as his long-lost sister in order to fulfill his grandfather's last wishes. And Yu-rin slowly finds herself falling for this irritable and annoying man.

Director Jun's talent in romantic comedies has also been recognized overseas.

"Sassy Girl, Chun-hyang" became the first drama to sell the remake copyright abroad. Buying the copyright to remake the drama in its own language, China also offered Jun the opportunity to direct the new version.

Aiming for fame throughout Asia, Jun has a solid view toward the current Korean Wave led by the popularity of Korean TV dramas.

"The Korean Wave is an opportunity for us to spread our culture throughout the world, which is actually far more important than selling 1 million cars," Jun said. "But it concerns me that Korea is causing anti-Korea sentiments in the neighboring countries by approaching the phenomenon too commercially."

Jun added that it is a must for Korea to map out solid policies to keep up the wave.

"We are actually getting paid to promote our culture, how good a chance is that? But if we are not careful, the wave will end up as a temporary phenomenon," he said.

Jun also made remarks on the current trend of more dramas being produced under the planning of producing companies. Unlike the past production systems, in which a drama was produced under the influence of three major broadcasters - MBC, KBS and SBS - more dramas are now produced by production companies.

With many companies investing large amounts of money in these production companies, more time and budget is spared for the drama-makers, allowing them to improve the drama's quality to a great extent.

Currently, about 60 percent of dramas are made this way, and "My Girl" is also produced by a major producing company Kallista.

Some experts warn of unexpected risks the new method may cause if the new phenomenon is dominated by only the largest production companies, ruining the diversity of the drama-making market.

But director Jun said that despite the shortcomings, it was a must for more Korean dramas to be made in the new method.

"Due to the tight budget and shooting-schedules, the quality of Korean dramas has not been improving," he said. "It is only a matter of course that more dramas should be produced under better circumstances."

Jun is also known for the ability to find new faces with potential, helping them become known to TV fans through his dramas.

"Yonsama" Bae Yong-joon, who made his debut through Jun's 1994 campus romance series "Greetings of Love," is just one example of talent found by Jun.

"Under the current situation, it is difficult and also wrong to cast only the most popular actors and actresses. I feel some sort of a responsibility to find new faces who will later lead the Korean TV screens, and hope that 'My Girl' will become another opportunity," said Jeon.

kwon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kwon » Dec 17th, '05, 11:26

Thanks for the info. The cast looks interesting :thumleft:

*Lifo*

Post by *Lifo* » Dec 17th, '05, 11:42

kwon wrote:Thanks for the info. The cast looks interesting :thumleft:
Great!

I agree with you :mrgreen:

daalig

Post by daalig » Dec 17th, '05, 11:43

Interesting. Looking forward to this!

Is it just this drama or Korea going through a bad fashion phase?

Spike23

Post by Spike23 » Dec 17th, '05, 15:00

One of the male leads looks like a female...
OMG
>____< that is disturbing.

kwon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kwon » Dec 17th, '05, 15:08

Spike23 wrote:One of the male leads looks like a female...
OMG
Yeah, I thought only Japanese actors looked feminine(just my opinion, don't kill me for saying this).

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Dec 18th, '05, 05:09

oh sassy girls are my fav. characters. I wanna see this show. thanks for sharing info

zdoon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by zdoon » Dec 18th, '05, 05:34

That Lee Jun Ki guy was in the movie The Hotel Venus.

I never thought he looked female in the movie, but he reminds me of a bishounen anime character in this drama.

Spike23

Post by Spike23 » Dec 18th, '05, 05:50

zdoon wrote:That Lee Jun Ki guy was in the movie The Hotel Venus.

I never thought he looked female in the movie, but he reminds me of a bishounen anime character in this drama.
He isn't ugly or super handsome, he leans towards the female side lol
looks like a hybrid of male/female

zdoon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by zdoon » Dec 18th, '05, 06:00

The Hotel Venus is one thing. But he most definitely looks like a girl. I'm not denying that.

This picture for instance

Before knowing who was who in the drama, I looked at the above and recall thinking "pretty girl!, just my style" ..... :crazy:

xKiMix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by xKiMix » Dec 18th, '05, 06:13

Spike23 wrote:One of the male leads looks like a female...
OMG
:lol when i first saw his pic too i thought he was female! and a pretty one in fact! I'm look forward to this series! :thumright:

Shorty

Post by Shorty » Dec 18th, '05, 19:17

hmm when will this be airing? i might just watch it. ;D

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Dec 18th, '05, 19:40

This is a great drama. Btw there is a subbing team for My Girl but they need more timers...so if anyone has some free time to help out pm me ! That would help alot :-)

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Dec 20th, '05, 00:51

^ cool there's a sub team! thanks so much, i luv to help, but i dont' have much time and i can't understand korean. (and i'm inexperience on top of that)
Take your time. thanks so much

omg that was a guy? the person on the bottom right?

Mikka

Post by Mikka » Dec 20th, '05, 02:08

WroW wrote:This is a great drama. Btw there is a subbing team for My Girl but they need more timers...so if anyone has some free time to help out pm me ! That would help alot :-)
That's great!!! will they be doing it in soft-subs???

pandas_are_cute

Post by pandas_are_cute » Dec 24th, '05, 06:58

i really liked the first 4 episodes..!! wohoo..!! im looking forward to watching the next episodes..!! can't wait..!! :thumright: :thumright:

Spike23

Post by Spike23 » Dec 25th, '05, 00:12

I was skeptic to watch this show. Though i gave it a try and watched eps 1-2 so far and its great =) a romantic comedy. :cheers:

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Dec 27th, '05, 06:09

omg this show is so funny. lol she manipulates everyone. I haven't laughed so much since Full house. I can't wait till i finish d/ling ep. 3.

sokhasen

Post by sokhasen » Dec 27th, '05, 06:20

I agree that this series is funny. I think the main girl is highly one of the most taletent Korean actresses.

This gril can act:
Sweet 18---Villian or mean,
The Green Rose---sad, and now
My girl---funny.

I like her acting a lot. A big fan of hers.

HuongGiang91

:)

Post by HuongGiang91 » Dec 27th, '05, 16:12

thanks...

onizuka79

Post by onizuka79 » Dec 27th, '05, 20:18

Yep this drama is really funny! I cant wait to watch the next episodes!

vtsukasa_ryujin

Post by vtsukasa_ryujin » Dec 28th, '05, 03:01

holy man~ this series is only air once per week right? i desparately wanna watch ep. 5 already...even though i still can't really accept the second male character....... a very typical korean to me.. but no offense.. he would be much better as a girl.....

pandas_are_cute

Post by pandas_are_cute » Dec 28th, '05, 06:19

if im not mistaken the series is aired every wednesday and thursday evening.. saw that info on the first page of this thread.. not sure though if its true.. :-)

pandas_are_cute

Post by pandas_are_cute » Dec 28th, '05, 07:27

does anyone know what time 'my girl' is aired in korea..? i mean what time in the evening.. thnx..!!

vtsukasa_ryujin

Post by vtsukasa_ryujin » Dec 28th, '05, 08:43

pandas_are_cute wrote:if im not mistaken the series is aired every wednesday and thursday evening.. saw that info on the first page of this thread.. not sure though if its true.. :-)
o is that so? i didn't really check it out.. i thought it's aired once a week cux there's a new subbed episode once a week..oh well~ not a rush..since i have to rely on the fansubs to understand the series..cux i totally don't understand a single korean.........

pandas_are_cute

Post by pandas_are_cute » Dec 28th, '05, 15:33

vtsukasa_ryujin wrote:
pandas_are_cute wrote:if im not mistaken the series is aired every wednesday and thursday evening.. saw that info on the first page of this thread.. not sure though if its true.. :-)
o is that so? i didn't really check it out.. i thought it's aired once a week cux there's a new subbed episode once a week..oh well~ not a rush..since i have to rely on the fansubs to understand the series..cux i totally don't understand a single korean.........
hihi.. i also can't understand korean.. but i can't prevent myself from watching episodes even without english subs.. watching these dramas are so addicting.. :w00t:

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Dec 28th, '05, 19:45

vtsukasa_ryujin wrote:holy man~ this series is only air once per week right? i desparately wanna watch ep. 5 already...even though i still can't really accept the second male character....... a very typical korean to me.. but no offense.. he would be much better as a girl.....
lol he does look like a girl. He's very pretty... that's the only complaint i have about this drama. I still mistake him for a girl at times.

busyizzy

Post by busyizzy » Dec 28th, '05, 22:16

I think he's very pretty and handsome. =) I think he's adorable. My mom was watching an episode when I saw him and I immediately went *___* over him. Heh. I watched the first 4 episodes, very cute and funny series!! Oh man, can't wait for the next episode. :)

pandas_are_cute

Post by pandas_are_cute » Dec 29th, '05, 06:38

yey..! episode 5 and 6 already available.. hihi.. will watch it even though its not yet subbed.. i just can't help it.. :goggle: i already got hooked..

dmaechan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by dmaechan » Dec 29th, '05, 06:56

i've already seen the first 3 episodes..i luved it!! ...so funny!! can't wait for the subs for ep. 4..can't believe ep. 5 and 6 are ALREADY out!! so excited!

vtsukasa_ryujin

Post by vtsukasa_ryujin » Dec 30th, '05, 01:48

oh my god! seriously ep. 5 & 6 are already out?! *&^% I can't download them right now cux i have already reached the download limit my internet provider provides! Ahhhh ~~ or else that company is gonna cut my internet again and i wouldn't be able to watch MY GIRL~ ah~~~!!~~ where can we download the unsubbed ep. 5 & 6 of My girl anyways? do they have them in this forum as well~? gosh~ totally hook to korea now..

leeunit

Post by leeunit » Dec 30th, '05, 06:17

vtsukasa_ryujin wrote:oh my god! seriously ep. 5 & 6 are already out?! *&^% I can't download them right now cux i have already reached the download limit my internet provider provides! Ahhhh ~~ or else that company is gonna cut my internet again and i wouldn't be able to watch MY GIRL~ ah~~~!!~~ where can we download the unsubbed ep. 5 & 6 of My girl anyways? do they have them in this forum as well~? gosh~ totally hook to korea now..
Try http://clubbox.co.kr/lollol101. You'll have to do a little searching though since none of it is in English. For future reference I'll be uploading the raws on the d-addicts tracker one episode ahead of ay_link's subtitle releases.

dan12

Post by dan12 » Dec 31st, '05, 19:55

wow i thought this drama would be pretty lame but actually this drama is really good, its soo funny and cute, finally a pretty good comedy drama that is just as good as full house

xKiMix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by xKiMix » Jan 1st, '06, 11:52

leeunit wrote:
vtsukasa_ryujin wrote:oh my god! seriously ep. 5 & 6 are already out?! *&^% I can't download them right now cux i have already reached the download limit my internet provider provides! Ahhhh ~~ or else that company is gonna cut my internet again and i wouldn't be able to watch MY GIRL~ ah~~~!!~~ where can we download the unsubbed ep. 5 & 6 of My girl anyways? do they have them in this forum as well~? gosh~ totally hook to korea now..
Try http://clubbox.co.kr/lollol101. You'll have to do a little searching though since none of it is in English. For future reference I'll be uploading the raws on the d-addicts tracker one episode ahead of ay_link's subtitle releases.
I just started my clubbox, and i thought this drama would be great for my first series to put it on there. I have 1 to 5 on there and currently uploading 6, it is also english friendly :-) please check it out : http://clubbox.co.kr/xKiMix

vtsukasa_ryujin

Post by vtsukasa_ryujin » Jan 2nd, '06, 03:27

another clubbox sharing MY GIRL~ great~~ just finished ep.6..god.. do I have to be hooked every week?~? I already wanna rushed through the whole drama and find out the ending~~

babigrl

Post by babigrl » Jan 2nd, '06, 03:43

i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee the cast! lol they're so CUTE!

cuteangelika

Post by cuteangelika » Jan 7th, '06, 11:17

Im still not in good terms with club box.. i plead. i cry. i bawl like a baby but it hasnt allowed me to download even a single kb.. but Im happy with torrents but my hard disk cant take it anymore.. I hope someone uploads the smaller version.. thanks so much :)

pandas_are_cute

Post by pandas_are_cute » Jan 7th, '06, 17:01

this drama keeps getting better every episode..!! :thumright: i hope its going to be like this up to the end..

Lil_Bubot

Post by Lil_Bubot » Jan 7th, '06, 21:36

Finally! Romantic Comedy!!! The cast looks GREAT!!!! All the guys are HOT!!! :wub:
The other guy, forgot his name, looks somewhat Japanese to me but not too skinny!!! I'm digging the HAIR!!!! :D and the main guy!!! Gorgeous!! ahhhhhhh.. up to now... the show is great... I hope it continues to get better and funnier!!! Can't wait for the next episode!!! Oh yeah! Thanks for the people who's doing the subs too... so FAST!!! I LOVE IT!!! :cheers:

dmaechan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by dmaechan » Jan 7th, '06, 21:53

i know! i've been looking for a drama like my lovely sam soon...
this series is even better! I'm glad they're continuously making it funny even if there were a few sad parts^^ i'm kinda tired of the really long draggy melodramatic stories...
i can't wait till the next eps. ...i wonder if yoo rin really is the real granddaughter^^;;

knuts

Post by knuts » Jan 7th, '06, 21:57

This serie has so far (ep 7) been great. Can't wait to see the rest. It is funny, natural and has good looking cast. Thank you very much for the fast upload and the subtitles. How can you guys be so fast.
Thank you :salut:

lynavu

Post by lynavu » Jan 7th, '06, 23:22

is it just more or does this drama reminds ya of Full House? i guess it's the girl's character that reminds me of song hye kyo.. and the pony tail thing.. hehe.. i loveeeeeeeee this drama.. it's my 2nd favorite now! everyone keep up the good work.. u are all doing a great job and well appreciated

azndgn26

Post by azndgn26 » Jan 9th, '06, 02:03

This drama is like a mix of Full House & My Name Is Kim Sam Soon. The lead actress kinda resembles Song Hye Kyo in Full House. I'm up to episode 4 & it's pretty good :thumleft:

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gryzze » Jan 11th, '06, 12:44

I don't think I've ever been this addicted to a kdrama... :wub:

Btw, does anyone know the artist and name of that french song they played in ep08?

They played it in one of the earlier episodes too, that time in a movie on tv.

Corona

Post by Corona » Jan 11th, '06, 12:47

I'm positively loving this drama. Also love how they keep on imagining things that don't actually happen.

vofzxy

Post by vofzxy » Jan 11th, '06, 14:09

is there a 350 ver anywherE?

Aku

Post by Aku » Jan 11th, '06, 18:20

^ You can find it in Wachi's clubbox. Very good quality and works well with the subs too. :)

By the way, am Looooooving this drama! :) I thought the first episode was a little bit silly, but then its just got better and better and now I'm completely hooked. The lead actors are so cute too. :wub: It should be interesting now coz :

It looks like Seoul Gong Chan is going to realize he has feelings for Ju Yoo Rin, just when Ju Yoo Rin's vowed to give up on him and concentrate on the money ( the scene where she took her money out and compared him to the King on it was hilarious!). But its still not going to work out because now there'll be the misunderstanding where they'll all think she really IS the granddaughter. I think the real one will be the other girl in the picture though.

Some other of my favourite scenes from this drama :

* The snowman and the bench with Jeon Woo (ack..cant spell right)
* The phone call prank..mobile rooster ringtone and Yoo rins pics and how Gong Chan actually likes it..he even asks that Kim girl to leave it, hehehe
* arcade scene with Jeon woo and the byansha bit after it (I feel so sorry for this guy:( )
* Gong chan at the ship docks when she's crying..look at the way he looks at her! T_T :wub:

Okay, better stop..this list could go on. ;)

cuteangelika

Post by cuteangelika » Jan 14th, '06, 14:13

I hope someone uploads yhe 350mb version here... or direct links.... I really have a hard time with club box.. thanks so much.. just wishful thinking :)

ChuChuIce

Post by ChuChuIce » Jan 14th, '06, 17:34

I love this Drama :D
So funny !! 2 bad my downloads are 2 slow i wanna C epi 3!! :lol

Saragorn
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Saragorn » Jan 14th, '06, 22:19

I would be so happy if she actually ended up with Jeong Woo (?), but I know it won't really happen. It would be awesome to see a kdrama break the mold, though.

*sigh* That's one gorgeous guy... :heart:

taiping

Post by taiping » Jan 15th, '06, 14:50

I really like Gong Chan and Yoo Rin to end up together... theyre really cute!!!

CraZyaH
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by CraZyaH » Jan 15th, '06, 18:49

Saragorn wrote:I would be so happy if she actually ended up with Jeong Woo (?), but I know it won't really happen. It would be awesome to see a kdrama break the mold, though:
I wish that could happen too..he's soooo daym hot!! :wub: :wub: :wub:

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Jan 15th, '06, 21:11

Saragorn wrote:I would be so happy if she actually ended up with Jeong Woo (?), but I know it won't really happen. It would be awesome to see a kdrama break the mold, though.

*sigh* That's one gorgeous guy... :heart:
i wish also that she could end up with him too...but i highly doubt that would happen. This is probably the only kdrama i've seen where i am rooting for the "other guy". well.. except in Super Rookie I was cheering for the "other girl."

Oh i love your avatar! i just realised haven't watched naruto for so long.

milleu87

Post by milleu87 » Jan 15th, '06, 21:22

i totally love jeong woo. he is so sensitive about yoo rin feeling. i really wish that jeong woo will end up with yoo rin but that is highly unlikely. when the first time jeong woo appears in my girl i was like "what? this is the playboy? he is too pretty!!!" and gong chan was so cute and handsome. but now i am rooting for jeong woo. i really love the scene where they were in the movie together. my god that was so sweet of him!! SPOILER!! and in the elevator where he said to gong chan," yoo rin is your cousin right? i like her." finally he took a more active approach.before this he was so willingly to give up yoo rin to gong chan

vofzxy

Post by vofzxy » Jan 17th, '06, 10:21

could i have the link to wachi clubbox?

Xiouyi

Post by Xiouyi » Jan 17th, '06, 11:40

i think dat yoo rin and gong chan would end up together...dats just how kdramas goes -.-

CraZyaH
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by CraZyaH » Jan 17th, '06, 14:50

eh I'm having mixed feelings now :unsure: I want YR to end up with JW and at the same time YR to end up with GC :unsure: :unsure:

the thing that made me like GC is the part when
in the last scene in ep10 when he used her coin to lie and say he wanted her to stay by his side forever as a "cousin"
:wub: :wub: :wub:
anyway,whoever she'll end up with..I want the guy she dumps,lol

vicky

Post by vicky » Jan 17th, '06, 15:04

Well i prefer the lead actor Gong Chan ever more when he smiles. I like also the scene when he take the coin to lie, whch proves that he has fallen in love with her. I wonder when he'll confess. We'll know what will happen tomorrow !!!

wk1168

Post by wk1168 » Jan 17th, '06, 15:16

bbasha bbasha!!! go go go YR and GC...

vgvu99

Post by vgvu99 » Jan 17th, '06, 17:30

does any1 know how many eps this series has?

Thx

JenBell

Post by JenBell » Jan 17th, '06, 19:55

This is not a request for subs...ok notice out of the way...

I am like soooo addicted to this KD its not even funny. I am like checking back every so often to check for subs. Not only that I am doing it to the resurrection series as well...and now also on Lovers in prague...My Girl just kills me. There is sickly sweet that makes u puke then there is sick sweet that makes u want more and more till u keel over...this is making me keel over...but I'm not complaining.
I wish I could see how many times I visited the site in the past few days...oh and thanks to all the subbers, timers, etc. Just keep doin what ur doin and think nothing of it...

busyizzy

Post by busyizzy » Jan 17th, '06, 19:58

It'll probably be at least 16 episodes. My mom says it's more likely to be 18 or 20 episodes. Especially since the drama has just gotten to its half way point. Everyone's realized who they're now in love with, now they have to fight and endure obstacles for their loves - if you follow the classic formula. That, and you need to figure out the problem of the real granddaughter too. **not really but spoiler warnings anyway** My mom at the beginning thought that Juu Yoo Rin was the real granddaughter, but with the development of the drama ... it seems unlikely that she's the real granddaughter, cuz then, she'd be in love with her cousin and her cousin in love with her, and eh, I can't see Korean drama encouraging related-by-blood incest all that much.

Anyway, good series. New (raw) episode comes out tomorrow, I can't wait. =)

MKitoL

Post by MKitoL » Jan 18th, '06, 03:18

busyizzy wrote:**not really but spoiler warnings anyway** My mom at the beginning thought that Juu Yoo Rin was the real granddaughter, but with the development of the drama ... it seems unlikely that she's the real granddaughter, cuz then, she'd be in love with her cousin and her cousin in love with her, and eh, I can't see Korean drama encouraging related-by-blood incest all that much.

I was wodnering about that..cause there was this part in Episode 8 where the auntie said something about how Gong Chan looks more like his maternal grandfather? So the grandpa might now be his real grandpa..I might be wrong =.= though

ddrimike

Post by ddrimike » Jan 18th, '06, 05:58

I'm absolutely loving this drama too!! Definetly a cross between Full House and My Name is Kim Sam Soon. Well worth watching. Definetly wanna rush through to the end too! ::w00t:
As for my theory, I'm thinking that Secretary Yoong might be the cousin. She seems to be the one doing lots of the looking. That'd be way messed up if it was. And she seems to like the bumpkin look of Ahn Jin-shim!! That could definetly be explainable if she was the true cousin. Not a lot of characters to choose from though. And I agress that having Joo Yoo-rin as the cousin would be incest with Seol Gong-chan! Well, I guess there are dramas sorta with incest like Ireland! :goggle: But this drama is certainly breaking a lot of the conventions. I like how she asks him how he knew where she was when drunk and how she locked the doors of the SUV when he went to buy her medicine. Definetly not a lot of smooth moments. Lots of episodes left, for all we know, she could definelty end up with Seo Jung-Woo!!!

cat421

Post by cat421 » Jan 18th, '06, 07:36

MKitoL wrote:
busyizzy wrote:**not really but spoiler warnings anyway** My mom at the beginning thought that Juu Yoo Rin was the real granddaughter, but with the development of the drama ... it seems unlikely that she's the real granddaughter, cuz then, she'd be in love with her cousin and her cousin in love with her, and eh, I can't see Korean drama encouraging related-by-blood incest all that much.

I was wodnering about that..cause there was this part in Episode 8 where the auntie said something about how Gong Chan looks more like his maternal grandfather? So the grandpa might now be his real grandpa..I might be wrong =.= though
Some people have speculated that for Yoo Rin to be the real grandaughter than Gong Chan would have to be adopted or something...but I highly doubt that. I don't speak korean so I have no idea what the aunt's actual words were...but from the subs I'm assuming that she was talking about Gong Chan's other grandpa...b/c we all have two sets of grandparents don't we? And maybe she was saying how all his good looks came from his other grandfather...

Although I don't promote incest...if Yoo Rin really did turn out to be the real grandaughter (which I hope not) I would still rather have her be with Gong Chan than Jeong Woo...if not with Gong Chan then nobody. :D ...Can you tell I'm not a big fan of girly Jeong Woo...hehehe :mrgreen: Please don't kill me JW's fans... :salut:

persimon_pg

Post by persimon_pg » Jan 18th, '06, 08:55

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't know whether there is a difference between Chinese and Korean customs. First cousins, i.e. children of brothers with same surname are not allowed to get married to each other, however children of brother/sister with different surnames can do so according to Chinese custom! Therefore, if Yoo Rin is the real granddaughter, it should still be okay, isn't it? Haven't you heard the saying of "Kissing Cousins"?

ebony

Post by ebony » Jan 18th, '06, 15:55

i am totally loving this show,
i laugh along with it and i even feel upset a bit when yoo rin is crying because of her feelings for gong chan she is a really good actress cause those scenes really pull at your heart strings and even jeong woo shows his feelings really well you can always see the tears in his eyes when he's watching yoo rin cry over gong chan and you can see how much he loves her. These scenes really pull at my heart strings and then you get the funny bits which are just hiliarious (ok spelling not good :D ) and now we are coming to the good part where gong chan is starting to fall for yoo rin.
This is a really great show and i am totally hooked as well as loving the soundtrack which is on constant repeat. Thankyou to all the subbers timers etc for makeing it possible to watch this show with the subs it is really appreciated and keep up the good work :D

chocoholix

Post by chocoholix » Jan 18th, '06, 17:19

i love this drama...
everytimei watch an episode i end up looking forward for the next episode even more...
it too addictive :P

busyizzy

Post by busyizzy » Jan 19th, '06, 02:39

.... I don't know about the actual Korean custom since I have never botherd asking my parents about how Koreans feel about incest, but, being that I am Korean and my cousins are all Korean .... I can't see ANYONE supporting cousin marriage. Like ... ew. It's your family! Perhaps a 1000 years ago when the palace people married cousins and such to keep the royal bloodline secluded, but in the modern day and age? Really, I don't see it happening.

sui_generis

Post by sui_generis » Jan 19th, '06, 02:41

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't know whether there is a difference between Chinese and Korean customs. First cousins, i.e. children of brothers with same surname are not allowed to get married to each other, however children of brother/sister with different surnames can do so according to Chinese custom! Therefore, if Yoo Rin is the real granddaughter, it should still be okay, isn't it? Haven't you heard the saying of "Kissing Cousins"?
Wow, I don't know which part of China you're from, but if this was a 100 years ago or something, it was accepted. If you did this now, most people would think it pretty gross. :\ It's pretty much incest, which is not accepted in modern day China.

persimon_pg

Post by persimon_pg » Jan 19th, '06, 05:16

I'm not from China but, originally from Malaysia{ 3rd generation chinese descendent} and now loacated in Australia. Definitely, it's not uncommon or taboo for first cousins, i.e. children of sister/brother with different surnames to get married. Haven't you heard of "Piao" ge and 'Piao" mei getting fixed up by their individual parents! If uncertain, check with your parents, relatives or friends! It's not incest! There may be a possibility of too much insular breeding resulting in, maybe, problems associated with such "close" blood relationship but not INCEST! This does not happen 100 years ago, but, practically is an ongoing process occuring right under your nose without your knowledge.

Erliana2

hmm...

Post by Erliana2 » Jan 19th, '06, 05:24

I come from a pretty traditional family and according to the "elders", cousins are allowed to marry as long as the cousins are not related by brothers....hmm...If there are 2 brothers, theirs children are not allowed to marry, but if it was a 1 brother and one sister, then when they have children...the children are allowed to marry. Apprently some of my really distant cousins still do this...kinda to "keep the wealth within the family"...I still think it's kinda gross though

Saneko

Post by Saneko » Jan 19th, '06, 05:38

:-) I just love this drama, the female character make so funny faces and the guy is so CUTE, I just fall in love with him at first sight :wub:

spunboy

Post by spunboy » Jan 19th, '06, 06:08

This drama is awesome. Its definitly up there with Full House for me so far. Have to see how it ends though. And the girl that plays yoo rin is so funny and cute. She can really turn it on for some of the more serious parts of her role. I can see her character from green rose come out a little in those parts. :-)

laure_choc

Post by laure_choc » Jan 19th, '06, 09:53

gryzze wrote:I don't think I've ever been this addicted to a kdrama... :wub:

Btw, does anyone know the artist and name of that french song they played in ep08?

They played it in one of the earlier episodes too, that time in a movie on tv.
The name of the song is "Les parapluies de Cherbourg". full lyrics
but i can't swear it's sung by Monique Leyrac.

Since it's the main song of the movie by the same name, I guess the movie showed earlier was "Les parapluies de Cherbourg".
(I just finished downloading the files so i just saw ep 1 for now, but i looked for the song in ep8)