Online Relationships?

The real life drama forum. Discuss your relationships or get to know the other members here.

Would you ever date someone you met over the internet?

Yes, why not?
24%
Maybe, if they don't sound like a serial killer
17%
I'm not sure.
12%
I'm not sure.
12%
not likely, unless some sort of miracle happens
23%
H*ll F*cking no
13%

Total votes: 138

Rupugus

Online Relationships?

Post by Rupugus » Dec 31st, '05, 04:30

I've been posting on forums and talking in chatrooms as far back as I can remember, and I've made alot of good friends, even a hadfull whom I've met in real life. But I've personally never taken dating people I've met online very seriously. Even so, recent events have caused me to ponder about wether or not I would take such a relationship seriously, or if the other party would as well...

so I'm curious, would you ever date anyone you met online? seriously?

Mythrel

Post by Mythrel » Dec 31st, '05, 05:34

Love can even find itself on paper. Sure you don't get to really see the person but you can learn a lot about a person and their personality can show. If there is that spark, that intrest then why not. I work with a guy who is married to a girl in my town and hes from BC and he moved here for her. They are in love and did so like 3000 miles apart. So its not so wacky XD

Pinch

Post by Pinch » Dec 31st, '05, 07:44

Btw, do u mean having a relationship online (never meet in real life but just date anyway) or having relationship with someone u meet online? When I first read your topic title, I thought it is the former.

Personally, I am strongly against online relationship, but dating someone u meet from internet... why not? :P I think it is wiser to meet the person in real life before plunging into the relationship though. After all, internet is such a world people can hide their real self really easily.

Karo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Karo » Jan 2nd, '06, 00:39

hmm... I think it is possible to fall in love with someone online.
But... from my point of view it's a bit dangerous too. There are lots of weird guys out there... So I need some kind of proof for my loved one... I can't fall in love with someone who doesn't want to to tell me his or her age, or his or her working place. Stuff like that. It makes me feel like: This person wants to hide something from me.
May sound stupid...

I would never meet someone who I can't be somehow sure of his identity or his personality.
Internet is still a place where epople can built a fake self...

wingsky

Post by wingsky » Jan 2nd, '06, 23:32

Agree lots of ppl can lie about stuff.. hard to tell what their facial expressions are etc.. i dun think you can get very far without seeing someone... but if someone was really really special.. whynot? even though im a bit skeptic..

fearspooky

Post by fearspooky » Jan 2nd, '06, 23:39

theres a lot of trust issues that come up with internet relationships, whether uve met them before or not.

ive seen this happen to TOO many people.. including me long time ago lol.

ohoh but it depends on the situation. if u met the person over the net and u guys hang outside a lot.. that might start as a internet dating relationship but it ends up being a normal dating relationship.

Xi@h
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Xi@h » Jan 3rd, '06, 21:35

Well, if you already know the person and were dating before she/he moves out, a 50% that it would work out. But if you haven't met the person yet, the percentage that it would work out is relatively 50% because the majority lie and minority will be sincere.

CraZyaH
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by CraZyaH » Jan 3rd, '06, 22:39

I've always believed that online friends are just words on your screen,nothing more..so I thought having any feelings for them would be like having feelings for a fictional character in a book.. :unsure:
however,I've heard a lot of stories of people falling in love online,even tho they have never seen each other before,and some even ended up with marriage..
so I guess I was sort of mistaken when I didn't believe that there was a real person behind all those "words on my screen"..and started to believe that u really could have feelings for an online person :unsure:

so I voted "yes,why not?" :thumleft:

splur

Post by splur » Jan 4th, '06, 03:31

Okay, so this marks off "you know the person in real life, but you spend alot of time with her over the net because it's the only way you two can communicate easily". Then... hells no.

I have friends online, but a relationship?! The girl could turn out to be a serial killer, or worse, some old fat hairy guy posing as a girl. Or like your mom. I mean, there are so many doubts dating someone over the net you've never met in real life.

Just look at this, http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/news/ ... 40002.html

CraZyaH
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by CraZyaH » Jan 4th, '06, 03:46

OMG LOL!!!!!!!
I would kill myself if that happened to me!!! god!!!

fearspooky

Post by fearspooky » Jan 4th, '06, 09:41

CraZyaH wrote:
OMG LOL!!!!!!!
LOL. holy hell thats just sad.

tells us how small the world is though haha @_@

*Lifo*

Post by *Lifo* » Jan 4th, '06, 09:46

fearspooky wrote:
CraZyaH wrote:
OMG LOL!!!!!!!
LOL. holy hell thats just sad.

tells us how small the world is though haha @_@
Omg.. That is UNBELIEVABLE!
It turned Out to be his mother?!
What a bad mother she is... :whistling:

Keiichi23

In my opinion...

Post by Keiichi23 » Jan 4th, '06, 10:00

It's not too bad if you become friiends with the person first online, then meet the person in real life to confirm your feelings. Once that happens, you can date.

This is what happened to me. I was friends with my wife for a while online. But actually, I fell in love with her personality. And from her picture I was attracted to her. So finally we met in person to confirm the truth and our feelings for each other. We've been married for almost 1 year now.

Life is good. :thumright:

Lantis

Post by Lantis » Jan 4th, '06, 10:03

date someone i met over the internet...dont think so! maybe if this somebody live in my area ....dunno

Yoroshiku

Post by Yoroshiku » Jan 4th, '06, 10:12

A rule of thumb is make sure you know what other person looks alike!! use webcam or something and talk for awhile BEFORE doing any physical. :salut:

Rupugus

Post by Rupugus » Jan 4th, '06, 11:58

it also helps if you know for a fact that your mother doesn't know the back from the front of the keyboard. hurray for relatives that are computer illiterate!

but seriously, I'd actually read that article previously, but I think that the guy in the article went about it the wrong way. All relationships are risks, not meeting face to face complicates things, but not as much as you might think. I mean, talking to someone face to face doesn't guarantee that they are not a serial killer? Isn't it just as risky meeting someone on a bus? a train? even closer than that, at work? school? there's no guarantee that people will be truthfull on the intenet or in real life.

heck. I could argue that at least while on the internet, you canlog your chatting, making a written record of conversations. just to make sure there are no inconsistancies in what people say, but people tend to become uncomfortable when you try to tape record conversations face to face.

/joke

miss_illusive

Post by miss_illusive » Jan 6th, '06, 04:12

how the heck can you fall in love with someone online it's impossible to tell their tone of voice if they're mad or sad or whatever unless they come out and tell you

you never get to fall in love with their little habits that you love about someone in real life or even know if they reallly exist with all the technology these days it's easy to just play around with a picture or a webcam and show someone you are not who you really say you are.

of course you can just mess around and stuff like that online but not anything really serious.

online you only one side of a person.

Rize

Post by Rize » Jan 6th, '06, 08:07

I guess trust doesnt exist anymore in this world
Dont get me wrong I know u have to play safe
Im just a tresspasser in this society and I notice ppl doesnt trust anyone
What happen to all the values
sorry im out context
but just want to say if ppl can open themself a little bit more relation between human being would be easier
I know its easy to say than do
Not everybody on the net are a serial killer... or an angel... that y we have judgement

milleu87

Post by milleu87 » Jan 6th, '06, 08:25

wow that mom-son things is freaky!! luckily my dad doesn't spend time chatting and so do i. i don't really think dating somebody you never really saw their face or met them really works. sure at first you kinda fall in love with their personality and stuff. but words still words.i just think that even though you like somebody that much in the internet sometimes when you met outside it not all that good. although my sister met her husband through chatting and until now they're still very happy.maybe it does work but the chances are very rare i think

NoWoRRieS

Post by NoWoRRieS » Jan 10th, '06, 09:33

I agree with a lot of what has been said. I personally would not feel comfortable dating someone I met via the internet. I feel that it's already very risky in the real world. Appearances is very deceiving, whether we're talking about in a chatroom or in a Starbucks. So people should just be careful.

LadieDrmz

Post by LadieDrmz » Jan 17th, '06, 09:00

I think that although it's not a definate no in the possibility of dating someone you met online, I would personally prolly think long and hard before doing so. I don't see any thing wrong with meeting someone online and then dating because you have that spark, but there are also alot of danger associated with the internet. Like some have already mentioned, people online can create this psuedo persona online, and can be someone totally different in real life. On the other hand, while it is harder, people in real life can also lead a life of lies and delusion, so... The question of dating someone you meet online just really depends on the person. I have known people who met someone online, from a chat room, from online dating services and are now very happily involved.

webgurly

my relationship

Post by webgurly » Jan 20th, '06, 07:01

the story about the guy and his mom was hilarious!

I just wanted to say that i met my boyfriend online, but like we knew each other for like 7 years and talked on the phone. We just got together a few months ago bc I broke up with my boyfriend. All I can say is that it's the best thing that's ever happened to me. He was one of my best friends before I met him and now he's my boyfriend. He actually met me before I was with him. There were some sparks there and I knew he was the one for me. We aren't married yet, but we'll see.

If you are thinking about online dating just be really careful. I've met some cool people from online and nothing has happened to me yet. Just be aware bc there are alot of tricky people out there. Even webcams can be faked. There are programs were you can keep repeating the same pictures over and over so it looks like it's a video. Just go with your instinct. If you feel something is wrong, get out of it!
Last edited by webgurly on Jan 20th, '06, 07:26, edited 2 times in total.

bluenitesky

Post by bluenitesky » Jan 20th, '06, 07:20

Well i don't have a lot of experience on this matter ,but i think it can't really be serious, because over the interent is ..... in my opinion i think the person ur chatting with is way more different that who he or she really is. Lyke the way to react when certain things happen .. do they go crazy, or just being calm. You can't really noe the person unless u have some experience w/ that person.

cquen

Post by cquen » Jan 20th, '06, 07:27

i'm in pretty much the same situation as webgurly. i've known my bf for nearly 8 years now, and are approaching the 3 year mark in actual dating (as in traveling 2000 miles to see each other for school breaks and when we're not too poor for plane tickets. hehe). i do believe i've found my best friend/partner for life.
i think online dating can be a great way of getting to know someone without prejudgments and appearance considerations. especially if conversations are still interesting and endure a long period of time (more than a couple of years), i'd say it's just as good as a reallife friend (i've also met another girl who i consider a very good friend). obviously take precautions, but don't let those internet stalker/murderer stories prevent you from meeting cool people. talking on the phone is also a good step to take before actually meeting someone. also bring a pal or two when you meet the person as good measure if u're still unsure.
=0)

fuddleduddle

Post by fuddleduddle » Jan 20th, '06, 07:43

i wouldn't recommend online dating. im sure in the past there have been online relationships that have worked, but that's a rarity. currently my roommate is in an online relationship, and i don't see how it's going to work out ever. one's in toronto, and the other is in arkansas, and none of them have planned to actually meet each other (not saying that they should). but if things are going to stay stuck on the on the internet, i don't understand why anymore time should be wasted on both sides.

dEvIlDuDe

Post by dEvIlDuDe » Jan 20th, '06, 17:33

Online relationship I say is a little shaky...
but I got an online friend(met her 4 yrs ago) and she's pretty cool and fun to talk to... She's in VA.. I liked her before and likin her more after 2 yrs of not talkin to her but I don't think I can take it to that level of relationship...She's got a life of her own and I got mine but if we do meet maybe.....

fengyun

Post by fengyun » Jan 22nd, '06, 19:33

CraZyaH wrote:
OMG LOL!!!!!!!
your not the only one lol!!
so are there girls around who wanna date me??
no serial killer or man in a dress please

pRincEton giRL

Post by pRincEton giRL » Feb 11th, '06, 01:55

i'm skeptic

goota

Post by goota » Feb 12th, '06, 02:17

I suppose if you met someone online, then got to know them in real life, face to face, and starting dating that way I see no problem with it. But if its purely an online relationship, that is just.... too creepy.

albertoavena

Post by albertoavena » Feb 12th, '06, 02:43

Well, to me personally, it'd be kind of weird..unless you trade pictures of each other or something. Otherwisw, you'd never know what they look like. There's alot of freaks out there.

P0KEY
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by P0KEY » Feb 12th, '06, 03:35

errrrrrrrrrm. NO. :lol

after you watch NBC primetime's "sex offenders on the internet", it`s not going to happen, lol. .________________.

asian_grl

Post by asian_grl » Feb 14th, '06, 06:46

hmm.. i don't kno.. don't wanna say either way, so i'll just c how things go?

btw, 1 of the ways an online relationship would become serious is if the pair hasn't done ne cybering..

pRincEton giRL

Post by pRincEton giRL » Feb 20th, '06, 08:13

im not against it but i dont recommend or encourage it either...i don't believe the chances of online relationships succeeding are great.. but yeah owkei guys, i'll give yah some hints with the related topic.

pros:
1 - time is the essence coz if you both have the time, you spend more time together than most usual couples do.. because you’re always hooked online...so you have more time to talk about things under the sun, learn more about each other...and communication is the slightest of your predicaments

2 - i'm certain with less fights, because you're not physically together and everything is based on online chats alone...you don't get to interact enough to spark fights!

cons:
1 - not easy if you don't see each other...there are times you're just really dying to be with that person yet you know it's impossible...there are times that being online is just isn’t enough anymore, but you have to have patience... patience is a virtue!

2 - you fail to spot out on dates becoz your time was spent more often to do activities, dinners and others with your/his friends..

this is concerning online long distance relationship. it's totally different thing when you met thru online and started seeing each other or you have online relationship but beforehand you already meet...

and this is for the strong willed peeps who have unlimited patience because thru that connection you would certainly develop patience and should not be weak in heart.

this would certainly flourish if both of you is committed to make it work. one who firmly believe that it's not only an obstacle that you have to get through, rather time will be soon enough to draw near you..

only chances ARE..

marvelous
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by marvelous » Feb 20th, '06, 08:37

I think desparate people date on the internet. To have sex. :pale:

kreidi

Post by kreidi » Feb 21st, '06, 16:00

I think the best way to know somebody well is be with her/him and to see how they react with and with other people. You can't see that with internet

Schala

Post by Schala » Feb 21st, '06, 21:48

Well, I make tons of friends on line, so why not?

But I HAVE to meet them in person first. And they have to live in my general area. I won't do a long distance relationship at first. (Only maybe after we've been dating for a long time, and then one of us has to move or something, then maybe.)

But I've met a lot of current friends on line, and we met in person, and they're still some of my closest friends. ^^ And my sister met her current bf (who she now lives with) on line, so I know it can work. What's the difference between meeting some at a bar/club or on line first? Either way, you still don't REALLY know the person. Just use common sense and wise decisions when meeting up with them. *shrug*

Edit: But I've learned that strictly internet dating is silly and pointless. If you live thousands of miles away and never plan to meet in person, what's the point? x_x

DJ_Chopstix

Post by DJ_Chopstix » Feb 25th, '06, 18:01

Schala wrote:Well, I make tons of friends on line, so why not?

But I HAVE to meet them in person first. And they have to live in my general area. I won't do a long distance relationship at first. (Only maybe after we've been dating for a long time, and then one of us has to move or something, then maybe.)

But I've met a lot of current friends on line, and we met in person, and they're still some of my closest friends. ^^ And my sister met her current bf (who she now lives with) on line, so I know it can work. What's the difference between meeting some at a bar/club or on line first? Either way, you still don't REALLY know the person. Just use common sense and wise decisions when meeting up with them. *shrug*

Edit: But I've learned that strictly internet dating is silly and pointless. If you live thousands of miles away and never plan to meet in person, what's the point? x_x
yep yep..lol i feel kinda :unsure: since i met my b/f online????? lol but i call it a long distance relationship since we DO see eachother. i usually dont do long distance..but i'm pretty surprised at myself rite now though. we've been together for 4 mths. if yeu kno our situation then...yea hahah he comes down to see me. which he spends $1000 for plane tickets, hotels, and etc. but another reason why i took this chance with him is b/c he's already planning on moving down here soon ne ways. and i'm glad i've taken this chance with him. =) my family love him and so does my friends. ^_^

alliemon

Post by alliemon » Feb 27th, '06, 02:18

marvelous wrote:I think desparate people date on the internet. To have sex. :pale:
x: I agree. My "roommate" (ex-friend now who just happens to live with my family) is in an intarnet "relationship", and from my knowledge, they were sending pornographic photos of themselves to eachother after a couple weeks, and eventhough they've met up twice, it was pretty much just to have sex. (~o~)

I'll be honest... I've had a couple teen relationships, and when it got down to it, I realised I'd never want to go meet them, and eventually got annoyed by them and just stopped contacting/interacting/all that jazzing with them. :whistling:

My vote on dating via a box of wires and a screen is : Mostly, not worth it, and lame, depending on what goes on. Or, in the poll's words "Hell fecking no!". XB

Yukiko_Chan

Post by Yukiko_Chan » Mar 17th, '06, 19:40

Hmm...I don't think I would date someone I met online, but it depends on how that person treats me. I haven't dated anyone I met online, but I have become really good friends with them. :roll

huangziwei

Post by huangziwei » Mar 17th, '06, 19:53

sounds weird to date a person you met @ the internet... what if he turns out to be a whole different person when you meet him in real life? :unsure: :roll

siggiepop

Post by siggiepop » Mar 17th, '06, 20:05

An act of God would have to happen for me to meet someone online besides friendship. I've met a few people I play mmorpgs with in person, but ... O_o not for relationship. That's almost too weird. I mean, I like to see how they interact with other people first before going up and flirting/hitting on the girl. But that is me.