Dissapointment in current JDORAMAs

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
bmwmclaren

Dissapointment in current JDORAMAs

Post by bmwmclaren » Jan 26th, '06, 04:26

I have downloaded almost every single new dorama that
has just come out and found nothing that really captured
my attention. Last series there was Brother Beat,
1littoru no namida, and Hana Yori Dango, which were all
great doramas, but it seems I can't find the same quality
in this season.

Did I miss something? Where there any doromas that
I missed that are really worth seeing? Please help
me out. It seems all they have now is mystery doramas.

kleo

Post by kleo » Jan 26th, '06, 04:32

i have to agree with you. I am not really into any of the new dramas either. It just doesn't catch my attention..but i'm definitely open for any recommendations. i need some good dramas.

peace_life

Post by peace_life » Jan 26th, '06, 04:54

I agree with you guys, I think most of the new dramas now are so-so...

I know making a new original strory is hard... and I know making a drama is not easy..

I do not like a strory of a girl who gets a disease... and then she will die... in the next few years... I'm bored with that kind of film... but it's just my opinion...

But I am so happy cause I can watch a drama that can entertain me when I'm feeling bored with my daily activities..

Thanks for sharing the dramas anyway... :-)

TG3

Post by TG3 » Jan 26th, '06, 04:55

I agree. Only Byakuyakou and Rondo warrant my attention this season. But if you've been around the drama scene a while, you'll realize that there are good seasons and bad ones. Last one was one of the better ones in a while, so a slump like this season is probably expected.

Smiley_18

Post by Smiley_18 » Jan 26th, '06, 05:04

Hm.. have you just started watching dramas recently? If so, maybe you can try and watch some older and more classic doramas. I know that not every single season will have hit dramas that are for everyone. If you don't like this season's dramas, try some older ones. 8)

And if you are JUST starting to watch dramas, then I suggest that you do more watching before you start commenting. :crazy:

groink

Post by groink » Jan 26th, '06, 05:07

Whatever spiritual symbol you believe in... Please have him bring back drama writing from the 1990's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enough with the young people crap!

--- groink

Prince of Moles

Post by Prince of Moles » Jan 26th, '06, 05:14

Try Jikou Keisatsu, it's more comedy than mystery.

And always try the NHK year long historical dramas that start at the beginning of the year.

kiwigloomy

Re: Dissapointment in current JDORAMAs

Post by kiwigloomy » Jan 26th, '06, 05:56

bmwmclaren wrote:I have downloaded almost every single new dorama that
has just come out and found nothing that really captured
my attention. Last series there was Brother Beat,
1littoru no namida, and Hana Yori Dango, which were all
great doramas, but it seems I can't find the same quality
in this season.

Did I miss something? Where there any doromas that
I missed that are really worth seeing? Please help
me out. It seems all they have now is mystery doramas.
different people, different taste. Well, personally I don't think Brother Beat was that good either, and i can't say i like 1littoru no namida (pace a bit too slow).

I actually think that this season's dorama is quite good. Almost the same quality asthe last season. Cos, in this season i think "byakuyakou" is quite good, interesting story, intense&exciting scene + good actor&actress. komyogatsuji(NHL historical drama) seems like the pace is picking up as Nakama appears more at the 2nd episode. yaoh, kemonomichi both have very interesting stories, based on manga and novel. This season, you can see even more actors from Johnnys(Great if u are a Johnnys Lover).

So this season, they do have quite a lot of different type, not JUST mystery.
Saiyuki, hyoheki, kemonomichi, kuitan, yaoh, Ns'AOI, kobayakawa, saikoro... i can't say ALL of them are good, but at least they are very DIFFERENT type of dorama.
Last edited by kiwigloomy on Jan 26th, '06, 06:00, edited 1 time in total.

g0shesx

Post by g0shesx » Jan 26th, '06, 05:59

WOW.
haha i thought i was the only one. i downloaded many j doramas only to be really disappointed....

the last one hani yori dango :) very nice.

theyre just getting worse and worse and it breaks my heart. oh well. hope a really great one comes out to make up for it.

seems like they are running out of ideas *shrugs*

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Jan 26th, '06, 05:59

Hahaha.... I think ppl are just spoiled these days...
Like TG3 said, there're good seasons and there're bad seasons...
We used to only get maybe one or two series a season, so of course they'd be the "better" ones...
Now that we can watch everything as it airs, we suddenly realize that they're not all worth watching...
You have no idea how much jdrama crap has been produced over the years, but I think you're going to be finding out soon... :lol

g0shesx

Post by g0shesx » Jan 26th, '06, 06:00

yeah. they do have a lot of different types. i think they are trying it out and since they are exploring we can't really expect everything to be great right?

...... some of them you mentioned were alright. some i couldnt even finish watching because it was that bad. nothing really great yet. but i still have my hopes up!

kiwigloomy

Post by kiwigloomy » Jan 26th, '06, 06:06

mizune wrote:Hahaha.... I think ppl are just spoiled these days...
Like TG3 said, there're good seasons and there're bad seasons...
We used to only get maybe one or two series a season, so of course they'd be the "better" ones...
Now that we can watch everything as it airs, we suddenly realize that they're not all worth watching...
You have no idea how much jdrama crap has been produced over the years, but I think you're going to be finding out soon... :lol
YEAH!!! i agree, some ppl just keep saying dorama now are not good. the one from 1990s are better.... But they didn't realize at 90s, they are a lot of crap dorama too, ppl seem to only talk about the really good one, and no one mention the one that is REALLY bad back then...

Now, because more choices are available(meaning include good AND bad one), so ppl just started whining about the bad one...

Xi@h
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Xi@h » Jan 26th, '06, 06:38

Rondo? Didn't heard about that one. Have to take a look at the wiki, but at least I've found Nurse Aoi and Byaku Yakou interesting.

TG3

Post by TG3 » Jan 26th, '06, 07:20

Oh yeah, N's Aoi is pretty good, too. I have that and the other 2 (Rondo and Byakuyakou) on my DL, watch list.

Yeah, I think people like to romanticize the past, too much. For every "classic" like Long Vacation or Beautiful Life, there were tons of other dramas that were horrible and have thus been never, ever mentioned again.

Illaparatzo-sama

Post by Illaparatzo-sama » Jan 26th, '06, 07:57

I thought that Brother Beat, Hana Yori Dango and 1 Liter no Namida were all damn horrible dramas. Different tastes, different series I suppose. Kuitan is my favorite from this season, followed by YAOH. As other people have said, try some of the older series if you're bored with the current crop.

groink

Post by groink » Jan 26th, '06, 08:30

I'll tell you guys the problems I have with most of today's dramas:

1. I don't want to watch a bunch of teenagers - period. I'm 38-years old and I'm not into the things they're into. I'm just too FAR beyond this generation.

2. I don't want to watch a drama starring dorks like otakus and such. Personally, I think they have social problems, and they should see a counselor rather than being idolized. If Densha Otoko has a special with guest star Dr. Phil, THAT I'LL WATCH because I know who's going to get some lickings.

3. Other than Great Teacher Onizuka, I really don't like dramas that originate from manga. Manga is great for reading. But for them to come to life, I find the conversion from frame-by-frame comic books to a TV script flawed.

4. I don't like watching shows starring pretty boys. For a guy my age, they just look sloppy.

The dramas I'm interested in - I just can't find it on D-A. That's why I rely more on the neighborhood video rental stores than on-line, and my subscription to NGN. I like my kitchen sink dramas, my NHK morning dramas, and my crime dramas.

Don't bother attacking any of these points... They're not debatable. I'm very firm on my beliefs.

--- groink

SakuraG89

Post by SakuraG89 » Jan 26th, '06, 08:35

Diiferent tastes, but also different seasons. Winter audiences have a braoder range of ages, so more shows aimed at adults. I'm liking a number of things: Rondo, Unfair, Saiyuuki, Yaoh. If every season had the same heavy doses of "teen" dramas as the last one, I'd get bored out of my mind. Now when they flood the spring and summer line ups, I will appreciate them more.

The suggestion about older dramas is a good one. Lots of things come thru here and ABMJ--something's bound to appeal to you. Things aren't going downhill from what I've seen, but short series encourage experimentation, and some experiments are going to fail to please you. It's still better than "reality" TV (UGH!!)

donna8157

Post by donna8157 » Jan 26th, '06, 08:54

I agree with you also, I've downloaded some of the jdramas this season and none of them grab my attention much. But I saw on the current events list that next season's drama that Kimura Takuya and Matsushima Nanako will be in a new series together. :lol I'm excited to see that.

Akiramike
Fansubber
Fansubber
Australia

Post by Akiramike » Jan 26th, '06, 09:21

Byakuyakou didn't catch your attention? Nurse Aoi and Kuitan are pretty good and if you love fanservice, check out 2nd House. Although everyone has different tastes I find there'a plenty of variety in D-addicts to cater to everyone.

edit: Forgot to mention Jyoou No Kyoshitsu. No pretty girls/boys but one of the best written doramas ever!

cereza
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by cereza » Jan 26th, '06, 09:53

I agree with a lot of you. I'm currently watching 9 of the current season dramas. Yes none of them has hit me as GREAT. But they aren't bad either. Each story has it's own different story line and twist. Plus only 1 or 2 episodes have aired, you can't judge a whole series by just watching 1 episode. Give it a bit of chance, so stuff start slow. Furthermore, all these shows are produced with a lot of effort from the actors/actress/produce/director/script writer, it really isn't fair to crtiisise the whole thing so easily.

rico2001
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rico2001 » Jan 26th, '06, 16:41

groink wrote:Whatever spiritual symbol you believe in... Please have him bring back drama writing from the 1990's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enough with the young people crap!

--- groink
groink wrote:'ll tell you guys the problems I have with most of today's dramas:

1. I don't want to watch a bunch of teenagers - period. I'm 38-years old and I'm not into the things they're into. I'm just too FAR beyond this generation.
I hear ya bro and feel exactly the same way. :D

vtx

Post by vtx » Jan 26th, '06, 16:54

Watching Byakuyakou, yaoh, rondo and saiyuki (yes it's bad i know). Kemonomichi is not too bad either... N's Aoi kinda of boring in my opinion...but ill watch it just for the sake of Ishihara Satomi.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jan 26th, '06, 17:08

Eh? I am older than all of you and I love the school shows! I watch them with my daughter and we discuss them afterwards, it's great!! And she gives copies of them to her friends, and I get calls from their parents who are gonig "WOW, this is so much better than what we usually watch! We've even started watching the Asian cable channels!"

She gave a set of Nobuta to a friend whose family speaks Spanish at home, and who usually watch, ugh, Mexican TV... and now they all sit around watching Korean, Chinese, and Japanese TV (they pay $400/year for cable, I think it's crazy...) and they discuss it afterwards, discussing the english subs in Spanish, and the content of the shows, and it's like their whole family is totally changed after having watched Nobuta!!

cerberus

Post by cerberus » Jan 26th, '06, 18:18

I love watching the school/teenagers dramas too! OK, I actually am one of them I guess (only 22 yrs old), but my dad seems to enjoy them just as much, and even my mum is partial to sitting down to enjoy an episode of GTO with a glass of wine! The only one left to convince that japanese dramas are sooooo much better than english tv is my sister - she has been known to watch big brother regularly, and eastenders even more so....

Any ideas about which drama to use when weening someone off crap english soaps? Maybe a patch you can apply to shoulder, to help you forget about soaps, and move on to better things?

bluabc
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by bluabc » Jan 26th, '06, 18:29

Etto, what is a GREAT drama? Okay, i'm extremely picky hence it has to satisfy all of the conditions below.
A) Breaking new grounds, venturing into previously unchartered territories. You have not seen that sort of genre or type of presentation being explored in dramas before.
B) Serves the purpose as a critique on certain social issue or generated an awareness of certain issues to the general public
C) Intelligent dialogue, great plotline and pace
D) Great acting and starring my fav actors.
E) Great theme songs.

For me, Tiger and Dragon was the only great one for the yr of 2005. Jyoou no Kyoushitsu came very close but didn't star any of my fav actors. It's my firm belief that Brother Beat, HYD and Ichi Ritoru no Namida satisfy less than half of these condiitions. .

Would probably categorise Fall 2005 season as an extremely entertaining season where we had quite a bunch of highly watchable dramas. Stuff liike Brother Beat and HYD were relatively stress-free viewing, starring very attractive actors, plot pace was fairly well-done, dramas that were "safe".. you might not love them to bits but not alienated either.

I'm also following less dramas this season, having firmly struck out Saiyuuki, Gachi Baka !, and on the verge of stopping 3/4 others. Having said that, Winter 2006 is definitely more superior in terms of drama production quality. It's just that the current season is more target market oriented. You'll have struck out half of the dramas on offer if you're not in the mood for dark dramas. Stuff like Saiyuuki would turn some audiences (like me) off. Yaoh for example is definitely targeted for females.

Would think that the supposingly golden years of J dramas in the 1990s are way over-romanticized. Been watching jdramas since the late 80s, every season has had its fair share of hits and duds. Don't get me started on some of the way crappy anf senseless dramas in the 1990s lol!

Wapiko

Post by Wapiko » Jan 26th, '06, 18:47

I think I'm one of the few (if not the ONLY one? :goggle: ) who didn't like Ns' Aoi. I don't think I made it past ten minutes, because I was put off by the sexual harassment that Aoi didn't even really care about. Passive girls are really starting to piss me off.

Hana Yori Dango kicked butt, I thought. I was obsessssed~ with that one! I need to start watching Unfair, but right now all I've been watching is Jyoou no Kyoushitsu so it feels weird not watching dramas on a daily basis like I did back in November and December with 1 Litre and HYD.

I need to start watching Nobuta again too, stopped at episode 2...

newersumm

Post by newersumm » Jan 26th, '06, 19:05

groink wrote:I'll tell you guys the problems I have with most of today's dramas:

2. I don't want to watch a drama starring dorks like otakus and such. Personally, I think they have social problems, and they should see a counselor rather than being idolized. If Densha Otoko has a special with guest star Dr. Phil, THAT I'LL WATCH because I know who's going to get some lickings.

3. Other than Great Teacher Onizuka, I really don't like dramas that originate from manga. Manga is great for reading. But for them to come to life, I find the conversion from frame-by-frame comic books to a TV script flawed.

4. I don't like watching shows starring pretty boys. For a guy my age, they just look sloppy.

The dramas I'm interested in - I just can't find it on D-A. That's why I rely more on the neighborhood video rental stores than on-line, and my subscription to NGN. I like my kitchen sink dramas, my NHK morning dramas, and my crime dramas.

Don't bother attacking any of these points... They're not debatable. I'm very firm on my beliefs.

--- groink
Heh I have exactly the same opinion.

This years dissapointment is "LAST CHRISTMAS" ...at least for me :pale:

Illaparatzo-sama

Post by Illaparatzo-sama » Jan 26th, '06, 19:23

Wasn't Last Christmas 2004's disappointment? :D

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Jan 26th, '06, 21:16

While I do agree that there's not likely to be a instant classic this season, it's not really that bad, I'd rate most of what I've seen in the B range.

I like j-dramas that tend to be message/ ideology driven ... this season, the message driven dramas are very few, they are tending towards the melodramatic (probably because it's winter) ... I tend to not like the winter season dramas

flcia

Post by flcia » Jan 27th, '06, 05:11

Wapiko wrote:I think I'm one of the few (if not the ONLY one? :goggle: ) who didn't like Ns' Aoi. I don't think I made it past ten minutes, because I was put off by the sexual harassment that Aoi didn't even really care about. Passive girls are really starting to piss me off.
i totally agree...i didnt like Ns' Aoi either...i think its gna be like one of those story that wont go anywhere...same as unfair :roll
i myself is kinda dissapointed with the new series...but then was (thankfully!!) saved when i watched YAOH...i think its a really good series...gna b interesting...
hmm n then therez the much-talked-about Byakuyakou n Rondo which i'm gna check out next...so hopefully it wont b too bad...

Toritorisan

Post by Toritorisan » Jan 27th, '06, 05:50

I have to agree that this season's dramas are not as catchy as last season's dramas. The only one that really caught my attention is Rondo but probably because I am a Takenouchi Yutaka fan. I can tell that the station poured alot of money into it! YAOH is pretty interesting, but it seems a little predictable.

I was looking forward to Unfair actually because I liked Anego. But after watching the first episode, I thought the story had some flaws in it and it kinda turned me off. Also I tried watching Saiyuki and even though I like the cast, it feels like I'm watching something in between a Taiga drama and Power Rangers...

But I've been watching dramas for almost ten years now, I'm kinda used to these ups and downs throughout the seasons. Kinda surprised KimuTaku didn't do a January drama like he usually does. Right now I'm watching more Kdramas, but last season I watched more Jdramas. I ususally switch back and forth anyways.

kiwigloomy

Post by kiwigloomy » Jan 27th, '06, 05:58

Akiramike wrote:Byakuyakou didn't catch your attention? Nurse Aoi and Kuitan are pretty good and if you love fanservice, check out 2nd House. Although everyone has different tastes I find there'a plenty of variety in D-addicts to cater to everyone.

edit: Forgot to mention Jyoou No Kyoshitsu. No pretty girls/boys but one of the best written doramas ever!
Haha, you like 2nd house? I think it's so weird.... so i guess you are really an adult...
but i think they have too much Unnesessarily "scene" added to it!!!

kiwigloomy

Post by kiwigloomy » Jan 27th, '06, 06:05

Toritorisan wrote:I have to agree that this season's dramas are not as catchy as last season's dramas. The only one that really caught my attention is Rondo but probably because I am a Takenouchi Yutaka fan. I can tell that the station poured alot of money into it! YAOH is pretty interesting, but it seems a little predictable.

I was looking forward to Unfair actually because I liked Anego. But after watching the first episode, I thought the story had some flaws in it and it kinda turned me off. Also I tried watching Saiyuki and even though I like the cast, it feels like I'm watching something in between a Taiga drama and Power Rangers...

But I've been watching dramas for almost ten years now, I'm kinda used to these ups and downs throughout the seasons. Kinda surprised KimuTaku didn't do a January drama like he usually does. Right now I'm watching more Kdramas, but last season I watched more Jdramas. I ususally switch back and forth anyways.
KimuTaku also didn't do a Jan. dorama last year. Engine was in around April 2005... But anyway, there are two different rumors about who his partner will be in the upcoming(next season) Dorama....
I love this time of each season(releasing new/infos on next season dorama) It is just sooo exciting to see what will come out next season!!
So far it haven't disappointed me, especially the one with Tomohisa Yamashita. The story(from manga) is just TOOOOOO interesting!!!!!!!!!! Difinitely not one of those high school drama

rdoll

Post by rdoll » Jan 27th, '06, 17:03

Wow, there's a lot of people here who dissapointed with this season j-dramas. :scratch: That's quite a shock coz it is a good season for me. I know that Unfair, Nurse Aoi, Saiyuuki got a slow start but Rondo, Byakuyakou, Kuitan, Kobayakawa Nobuki no Koi, and Gachibaka had a very good first episode. I wonder, if they can't be called a good drama, than what kind of drama is good. I think you guys expect too much from j-dramas. Or maybe you guys rather have Kamenashi Kazuya to play as detective in Kuitan, or Matsumoto Jun to play as another delinquents in GachiBaka to make the series more appealling to you. :whistling:

I ain't going to rant much here coz I think it pointless since everyone has their own taste. Anyway, just enjoy the dramas since it's free, and u don't need to pay for it....

Illaparatzo-sama

Post by Illaparatzo-sama » Jan 27th, '06, 17:16

kiwigloomy wrote: KimuTaku also didn't do a Jan. dorama last year. Engine was in around April 2005... But anyway, there are two different rumors about who his partner will be in the upcoming(next season) Dorama....
Are you thinking of a different drama than the banker one? I know Matsushima Nanako is his partner for that one. Is he having another one before/after that?

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Jan 27th, '06, 18:09

Toritorisan wrote:Kinda surprised KimuTaku didn't do a January drama like he usually does. Right now I'm watching more Kdramas, but last season I watched more Jdramas. I ususally switch back and forth anyways.
Isn't he in Saiyuuki?

groink

Post by groink » Jan 27th, '06, 18:29

auroragb wrote:
Toritorisan wrote:Kinda surprised KimuTaku didn't do a January drama like he usually does.
Isn't he in Saiyuuki?
Just episode 1. It's sort of like Kusanagi Tsuyoshi's 30-second appearance in Shinsengumi! They don't really count.

--- groink

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Jan 27th, '06, 19:22

groink wrote:Just episode 1. It's sort of like Kusanagi Tsuyoshi's 30-second appearance in Shinsengumi! They don't really count.

--- groink
Eh? It's a pure one shot cameo? I thought he was gonna be a recurring character ?

Seghal

Post by Seghal » Jan 27th, '06, 20:31

Toritorisan wrote:Kinda surprised KimuTaku didn't do a January drama like he usually does.
Last year he hasn't been in a Winter Drama too. ;-)

shirahime

Post by shirahime » Jan 27th, '06, 23:57

I think last season was better too. There was yamapi in dragon sakura, matsujun in HYD, kame and yamapi in nobuta, ryo was doing quite ok in 1 little of tears............there was a lot of happy dramas while this season the dark dramas dominate. Still I manage to find some to watch, Byakuyakou, Kemononomichi and kobayaki no koi are quite ok.

shinkenmike

Post by shinkenmike » Jan 28th, '06, 00:05

I'm following N's Aoi and Kobayakawa Nobuki no Koi... personally, N's Aoi is bearable only because of Ishihara Satomi, but I really like Kobayakawa Nobuki no Koi. I think the casting and music is great (haven't seen Karasawa Toshiaki since Shiroi Kyoutou, and Fujihiki Naohito will forever remain in my mind as the virtuous dedicated Mizuno-sensei), and even though only 3 eps have aired, I'm hooked.

jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jaycee05 » Jan 28th, '06, 07:18

Wapiko wrote:I think I'm one of the few (if not the ONLY one? :goggle: ) who didn't like Ns' Aoi. I don't think I made it past ten minutes, because I was put off by the sexual harassment that Aoi didn't even really care about. Passive girls are really starting to piss me off.
What the heck are you guys on? I like Ns' Aoi and not just cuz the "cute-Ishihara-Satomi" is in it...I find the medical cases exciting. The drama was not that predictable as I thought it was when I saw the end of ep03. About the butt slapping incident from the ero-sensei...it actually becomes a recurring affectionate joke between the two of them. If you stayed a bit longer and watched past 10 minutes of ep01, there's no way you can call Aoi-san as the passive type.

On the other hand...I was a bit aghast with YAOH and how they depicted women as hopeless fools who pay loads of money to ugly bunch of guys (except for Kaname-kun). I can't really fathom the fact they take hosts clubs seriously and name it a place where it could heal women's hearts. Right. For all the YAOH fans, dont start cussing me yet coz I'm not done yet. That was my opinion at the end of ep01...I was almost gonna drop it, but because of the speedy subs courtesy of bluabc...I gave it one more try...and tried to get rid of those sentiments while also ignoring the club's cheesy line "Romeo, welcomes you, Juliet" :pale: . At the end of ep02, I found it a bit more exciting coz now I'm looking forward for Ryosuke to kick Seiya's butt, or is it Seiyu?...It's the freaky looking man. :whistling:

Saiyuuki...like someone mentioned...it's like a cross of Power Ranges and a taiga drama...I like to watch this kind of stuff in anime. So, yah...I guess, Saiyuuki is scratched off my list for this season.

I don't know if I'll still continue Kobayakawa Nobuki no Koi... I'll decide after I see ep02, I guess. The storyline is different...heck, it is so different, but it's not my kind of thing.

Of course, I'll watch Rondo. Why is that? Just watch ep01, and you'll see. There's a bit of Korean flavoring in the plot and someone said "Infernal Affairs"? I havent seen the movie, but Rondo is very nice to look at, although confusing at times.

Unfair
First episode was kinda boring...and I liked Ryoko-san a bit less now after those nude flashes of her. :crazy: :crazy: Ep02 is out from asoubo fansubs...I have to see 1 or 2 more episodes b4 I completely scratch this off my list.

Kuitan is funny and yummy! hak hak hak...THis is in my list for sure.

Gachi Baka is like a cross between GTO and Gokusen but not as exciting as them( based on the 1st episode.)
When I watch it, I dont think--Ahh this really crappy!--more like, aish, I've seen this before.
I'll still watch it coz Kioku is doing a good job in their hardsubs. The soundtrack is upbeat and lifts up the show's overused plot.

Judging jdramas when u only saw 1-2 episodes is a big mistake. The jdramas Ive seen tend to have a slow a start, speed up in the middle and slow down again towards the end. I've seldom seen dramas which kept their tandem from start to finish.
So, right now...just Saiyuuki is off my list. Unfair and Kobayakawa Nobuki no Koi are pending to be scratched off while the rest, I would watch till the end, unless something horribly disgusting happens.
I'm also looking forward to watch Byakuyou! :wub:

cereza
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by cereza » Jan 28th, '06, 08:07

omg jaycee05. you are so my twin. I basically have the same views with you. (not to mention we are both from Toronto)
Judging jdramas when u only saw 1-2 episodes is a big mistake. The jdramas Ive seen tend to have a slow a start, speed up in the middle and slow down again towards the end. I've seldom seen dramas which kept their tandem from start to finish.
I totally agree. don't all dramas smart with a big bam in the first episode. It takes awhile for the plot to build up
Ns' Aoi - I thought the story with a bit slow in the beginning. But I love it after episode 2. Satomi is a really good actor and I think the role really fits her. The doctors are funny. And the "butt-slapping" thing is only a joke. And Aoi is far from passive she is the one who speaks up to everyone and everything in the hospital.
YAOH - some scenes I found it too sexual and I found Seiya scary. But I'm starting to like this series since Ryosuke vs Seiya's fight is finally heating up.
Saiyuuki - I didn't like it in the beginning. I think they overdone this series and altered it so much from the original Chinese 4 classics. Being brought up in China and Hong kong this series made me go =.=" in the beginning. I'm not gonna drop this season yet, but I'm not gonna rush to download it either.
Kobayakawa Nobuki no Koi - The woman who works in the flower shop gives me a creepy feeling, thou I understand Kobayakawa is under a lot of stress from his wife, but I didn't like how the episode ended with him saying something along the line of "this is what's called falling in love". will keep watching it to see the results of the marriage.
Rondo - Very Infernal affair. I've said that 100 times to my friends. Even thou I can pretty much predicts what's going to happen, but it's still good to watch and it still make my heart skip beats. The filming techn. is suberb. With all those computer effect, TBS really put a lot of money into this.
Unfair - Ryoko-san's nude flashes bothered me too. But this drama is totally for me, since I really like watching mystery/detective stories.
Kuitan - is CRACK! lol! Not only he is funny but all those food makes you hungry. Plus there is 2 JE in it, I'd get killed for not watching this XD
Gachi Baka - Despite the really low rating and the horrible episode 1. Episode 2 was great. I loved it to bits. Yes I admit it's cliche and the story plot might be similar to other high school dramas. But I like it. Some say the kids aren't really problematic. Well that's because you only watched one episode, when they only focused on one student. The next episode you'll understand a problem of another student. and thank you
Byakuyou - distrubs me. But I'm still going to watch it because the story is so sad and so dark. You need a tear jerker every season.
Jikou - The is a series that makes me go =.=". I haven't completely drop it yet... gonna watch up till ep 4 to fully decide what I think about it

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Jan 28th, '06, 19:33

Just saw Kuitan ... ok NTV has my number, every season they come up with a drama that is my fave or second favorite!!
Last season: Nobuta (fave)
before that : juou no kyoushitsu (2nd fave)
before that: ryuri no shima (fave)
before that gokusan 2 (fave)

milleu87

Post by milleu87 » Jan 28th, '06, 20:04

i read the post for the coming dramas for this season.i find nothing really interest me this season. last season was great. i totally like maybe because i'm still in teenage years.i've been watching jdrama for 7 years now and it's not the first time that jdrama for a season is not that great.maybe next time eh.don't give up jdrama!!

i probably going to dl rondo soon. it seems like a good story and there is yutaka takenouchi in it.

i just found the kdrama for this season is better than jdrama. but there is always up and down in the business. i wasn't really into kdrama last season and now i am.

kiwigloomy

Post by kiwigloomy » Jan 30th, '06, 06:02

i'm amazing how different taste the ppl in here have...
some ppl like "this Jdrama", then the next post is like, "OMG, i hate it!!! "

Anyway, my favourite 4 Jdrama(so far!!!) this season are probably: kmonomichi, Byakuyakou, yaoh, Kuitan...

The one i would stay away are: ==Rondo(don't know why, just don't like it, i was sorta anticipating it beofre it came out, but after i watched, i don't wanna continue anymore)
and also ==Kobayakawa Nobuki no Koi(as much as i like him in Shiroi Kyoutou, but he's not evil anymore =.=)

Other one i think are recent are saiyuki, Unfair, Ns'AOI, jkou, komyogatsuji...
Well, i mean, i never think the story of ==Saiyuki is great(NOT EVEN the chinese one, but just that the japanese one are even WORSE than the chinese one...)But just too much stars/actor/actress i like are in there. Someimtes quite funny, so i'll continue watching it

Akiramike
Fansubber
Fansubber
Australia

Post by Akiramike » Jan 30th, '06, 07:34

kiwigloomy wrote:i'm amazing how different taste the ppl in here have...
some ppl like "this Jdrama", then the next post is like, "OMG, i hate it!!! "
Yes, I can't believe that there are ppl who didn't enjoy GTO but then there are those who liked Hero when I thought it was really crap except for 1 episode. However, I think this goes to show how diverse jdoramas can be that in that everyone has their own favourites.

I do agree with the person who said that many doramas take time to get going. I'd rather have a dorama start out slow and get better than a dorama that starts out really great and fizzles out. *cough* sekachu *cough*

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gryzze » Jan 30th, '06, 07:57

kiwigloomy wrote:The one i would stay away are: ==Rondo(don't know why, just don't like it, i was sorta anticipating it beofre it came out, but after i watched, i don't wanna continue anymore)
Different tastes indeed... Rondo is probably my favourite this season... :P

And I just love Saiyuuki, but then I haven't seen any of the other versions or the original.

Personally I like that the seasons are different. I liked Nobuta wo Produce for example but if every season was filled with high school dramas I would get bored.

20centuryboy

Post by 20centuryboy » Jan 30th, '06, 20:38

last summer there was "ruri no shima" and " Joou no Kyoshitsu" wich are amongst my favourites drama.

Gozen

Post by Gozen » May 2nd, '07, 07:03

Am I the only person to be disappointed with this season's offerings? I can't find anything amongst it all that appeals to me (the one show that DID appeal, nobody is subbing it). I know that, for all the younger members, this season must look wonderful, but for me, it's got little to appeal. I would be interested to know if there are others like me out there, who like a good story and more "mature" actors (ie not so much shrieking and pouting and acting undignified. Jodan Ja Nai is a fine example of what I dislike, the guy is meant to be 40 and still acts like a kid, as for the girl, I find her unwatchable.) Last season I picked up almost everything, and really enjoyed them all, same with the seasons before that.

I don't mean to offend anyone or insult anyone else's tastes, I'm just wondering if there are others like me who want another Yasashii Jikan, Suna no Utsuwa, something intriguing, interesting, underplayed, subtle. Or moving like Flowers for Algernon, and all the other tear-jerkers! Or genuinely funny like Kekkon Dekinai Ototko.

Also, if anyone can tell me that any of these series are actually better than they appear in their synopses, I would be very grateful!

milleu87

Post by milleu87 » May 2nd, '07, 07:12

i was dling kodoku no kake but nobody is subbing it so i am watching it raw...other than that haken no hinkaku.

i'm not interested in the rest.....

floydian

Post by floydian » May 2nd, '07, 07:44

Gozen wrote:Am I the only person to be disappointed with this season's offerings? I can't find anything amongst it all that appeals to me (the one show that DID appeal, nobody is subbing it). I know that, for all the younger members, this season must look wonderful, but for me, it's got little to appeal. I would be interested to know if there are others like me out there, who like a good story and more "mature" actors (ie not so much shrieking and pouting and acting undignified. Jodan Ja Nai is a fine example of what I dislike, the guy is meant to be 40 and still acts like a kid, as for the girl, I find her unwatchable.) Last season I picked up almost everything, and really enjoyed them all, same with the seasons before that.

I don't mean to offend anyone or insult anyone else's tastes, I'm just wondering if there are others like me who want another Yasashii Jikan, Suna no Utsuwa, something intriguing, interesting, underplayed, subtle. Or moving like Flowers for Algernon, and all the other tear-jerkers! Or genuinely funny like Kekkon Dekinai Ototko.

Also, if anyone can tell me that any of these series are actually better than they appear in their synopses, I would be very grateful!
Well, the lead actor in Joudan Janai, Oda Yuji, is definitely one of the more mature and better actors this season. If you didn't enjoy him in Joudan Janai, I suggest you check out his older dramas like Tokyo Love Story, Odoru Daisousasen and Last Christmas.

I have to agree that I'm disappointed with this season's shows as well. Scriptwriters need to do more real work instead of adapting manga, novels or even resorting to doing remakes. I'm not saying adaption is not good but it's just that there seems to be an increasing trend, resulting in lesser 'original' dramas. There's also a lack of good established male lead actors this season, with the exception of a few like Oda Yuji and Odagiri Joe.

One of the few series I'm really enjoying is "Watashitachi no Kyokasho" so you might want to check that out. It's a dark school drama that's very different from the likes of Gokusen, Dragon Zakura etc. Itoh Atsushi is still showing some glimpses of Densha Otoko but Kanno Miho's performance is top notch so far.

sutefano

Post by sutefano » May 2nd, '07, 08:03

For anyone who prefer more mature and better actors, I would like to recommend
Aoi Tori. Probably the best dorama ever made.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » May 2nd, '07, 14:27

Gozen wrote:Am I the only person to be disappointed with this season's offerings? I can't find anything amongst it all that appeals to me (the one show that DID appeal, nobody is subbing it). I know that, for all the younger members, this season must look wonderful, but for me, it's got little to appeal. I would be interested to know if there are others like me out there, who like a good story and more "mature" actors (ie not so much shrieking and pouting and acting undignified. Jodan Ja Nai is a fine example of what I dislike, the guy is meant to be 40 and still acts like a kid, as for the girl, I find her unwatchable.) Last season I picked up almost everything, and really enjoyed them all, same with the seasons before that.

Ermmm... You must not have been watching dramas very long. Spring is always the weakest season of the year. I've found spring 2007 to be more watchable than spring 2006. Basically, you have to compare the same season from the previous year to find trends.

Btw, have you tried watching Watashitachi no Kyokasho? In terms of serious dramas, it's really quite a outstanding drama. As for kodoku no kake, it's not bad, but I didn't find it that interesting... but then I didn't really get into Yasashii Jikan either

tisa

Post by tisa » May 2nd, '07, 15:04

From the recent dramas I only like Haken no Hinkaku and maybe Our Textbook, Seito Shokun and Hanayome to Papa.

And I can't believe I managed to finish watching all 11 episodes of Kirakira Kenshui.

So from the recent jdramas I could really only recommend Haken no Hinkaku.

Gozen

Post by Gozen » May 2nd, '07, 17:56

Interesting suggestions. I might give Watashitachi a go, just to see if it's better than my preconceptions. I got put off, thinking it was a school drama, which I can only stand if they aren't full of pouting, shouting kids. But if this is not like that kind of school drama, then it might be okay! Thanks for that. I've been watching dramas for a couple of years now, but because I was busy downloading all the older stuff, I never made the connection that Spring is traditionally a weaker season for dramas. I am now forewarned for next year!

I agree about Oda Yuji, but only in his more serious dramas. I just couldn't get in to Last Christmas or Tokyo Love Story. The more overacted dramas, they begin to annoy me (unless it's Sorimachi Takashi, he can overact all he wants! Like Oda Yuji I know he can actually put in a subtle performance when the plot/director demand it).

As for Aoi Tori, it's one of my top 10 favourite dramas. I might just rewatch a load of my favourites this season and wait to see what's coming up next season!

xBrowNiez

Post by xBrowNiez » May 2nd, '07, 18:01

I've seen Kuitam, Jikou Keisatsu jdrama;s X]. Recommend any that are similar to these? I like those comedy/mystery ones ^0^

groink

Post by groink » May 2nd, '07, 18:05

When people in their teens and 20s stop reading manga and move onto real novels, then you'll see the writers lean back to writing original dramas. Until then, these young people need to recognize the drama and storyline before they'll actually watch. It isn't like the 1990s when original storylines and characters intrigued the viewers into watching them. They now have to know EVERYTHING beforehand. It truly sucks.

BTW, Spring 2007 isn't that bad. Both the NHK asadora and taiga are doing well. Matter of fact, they're beating everything else this season. One thing you can always count on NHK is their consistency towards their stories and characters.

--- groink

AboutDrama

Post by AboutDrama » May 2nd, '07, 18:07

gryzze wrote
And I just love Saiyuuki, but then I haven't seen any of the other versions or the original.
May be you could read the literature " journey to the west." Probably, close to the original story.

Anyways, have anyone watched IRYU, News no onna , and Beauty or Beast?

jayph

Post by jayph » May 2nd, '07, 18:10

I am too. Winter 2007 drama was really good, but this season comedic dramas areally lame/cliche.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » May 2nd, '07, 18:46

xBrowNiez wrote:I've seen Kuitam, Jikou Keisatsu jdrama;s X]. Recommend any that are similar to these? I like those comedy/mystery ones ^0^
Well, Both Kuitan and Jikou Keisatsu have sequels this season. :)
Sexy voice and robo is kinda like a comedy/mystery.
But Trick is probably the best known of the comedy/mystery genre

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » May 2nd, '07, 19:14

AboutDrama wrote:
gryzze wrote
May be you could read the literature " journey to the west." Probably, close to the original story.
Hey! I highly recommend that! I did it... It's 2400 pages, it should get you right through the current season.

chiakisama

Post by chiakisama » May 2nd, '07, 20:06

I wish Anego would have a special or something...BTW, I tried the first episode of Trick, but the production values were so bad I stopped watching, does it get better?

shosef

Post by shosef » May 2nd, '07, 20:12

Trick 1's production value didn't get any better but i really like the story... :-)

chiakisama

Post by chiakisama » May 2nd, '07, 20:23

OMG shosef, I love your avatar!!!!! Sounds like I need to give Trick another chance. More Jin drama!

shosef

Post by shosef » May 2nd, '07, 20:26

thanks...love my avatar too... yeah i'm hoping that he'll have a drama coming up:D

shijin

Post by shijin » May 2nd, '07, 20:38

Hey, it's exactly my thinking! I downloaded so many doramas from this season and I was so disappointed!! I watched the first eps of some doramas, but of most of them I don't even feel like watching at all.
I think 'Watashitachi no Kyoukasho' is really a good one and it treats a very important subject, especially for the Japanese culture (but also for European and American) and it's technically very well done. But personally I prefer funny dramas over the more sober ones. So I watched sexy voice but I couldn't take it any longer than 15minutes, it's such a crap! Same goes for Hanayome to Papa.
The only other dramas, I guess, that are somewhere between acceptable and watchable are thus Hotelier and Proposal Daisakusen - yet I only watched one ep so far. I even like Proposal Daisakusen and am looking forward to it.
Out of interest I downloaded Kodoku no kake but I couldn't find any subs and am too lazy to watch it without.
Well, I can only speak for Japanese dramas as I only watch jdorama.

Gozen

Post by Gozen » May 2nd, '07, 21:27

Groink, I understand what you are saying about the taiga drama. I want to see this year's so bad it hurts, but only 7 episodes with subs are up, and no news on any more.
I know it's a huge commitment to load 49 episodes of a drama, and I understand why it might become a pain in the backside to have to keep uploading it.
I love historical dramas more than anything else. For my tastes, the taiga drama is the thing that keeps me happy all year. But if it's not available, there's nothing we taiga fans can do about it.....unless you felt like uploading some.....just kidding! You did a terrific job with the last taiga and I can't imagine you'd want the commitment for another year!

Magicus

Post by Magicus » May 3rd, '07, 00:20

Gozen wrote:
I'm glad there are some other people out there who enjoyed Suna no Utsuwa, it's my favorite drama Gozen. I actually uploaded the ost just a few days ago :lol

I'm not sure if you have seen Sekai no Chuushin de but that is another drama which I thought used subtle acting and direction very effectively. I also agree with the others here that Watashitachi no Kyokasho is the drama to watch this season, although I felt episode 2 and 3 were a a little to melodramatic it's definitely the best of the bunch IMO. Also there is a Drama SP with Ken Watanabe coming in a few weeks that looks interesting, hopefully it will be subtitled.

Off topic, I think it's funny that FujiTV seems to have designated a slot to it's more original and substantial shows and left the other slots to more teenage oriented dramas. This seasons Thursday 10 pm slot drama is Watashitachi no Kyokasho, last season was Haikei, Chichiue-sama and the season before that was Dr Koto - Shinryoujo 2006 :lol

groink

Post by groink » May 3rd, '07, 03:08

Magicus wrote:Off topic, I think it's funny that FujiTV seems to have designated a slot to it's more original and substantial shows and left the other slots to more teenage oriented dramas. This seasons Thursday 10 pm slot drama is Watashitachi no Kyokasho, last season was Haikei, Chichiue-sama and the season before that was Dr Koto - Shinryoujo 2006 :lol
Actually, it is on-topic because this does demonstrate one thing about the geinokai.

The following is all MHO... It appears that the geinokai is gambling on its future by attempting to attract the manga/anime people early on. The idea here is that, whether this may sound awful or not, their parents aren't going to be around for long. So marketing towards the 40+ demographic isn't that effective because the long-term commitment between the 40+ viewers and the TV networks won't be that long.

It is their kids who are spending the money on products and services throughout Japan. If you can attract these kids to your TV network while they're still 100-percent awake, it could work for the TV network in that this demographic will be watching your TV network and investing in products/services you advertise - for the next 30 years - when they themselves turn 50 years old.

As an example, NBC-TV in the U.S. tried this in the 1980s. Much of their programming was marketed towards teens and the 20+ college demographic, while CBS and ABC continued to market towards the 40+ crowd. It did work for NBC for about 20 years. But in the past few years, starting with Survivor on CBS and Millionaire on ABC, the young viewers' taste was re-oriented towards reality television - very much like how the geinokai brainwashed young viewers by making their actors and actress look like manga characters. As a result, NBC is now in 3rd place behind CBS and ABC.

So purely on a marketing basis, you now see anime/manga oriented stories and characters in live TV dramas. By the time these kids reach their 30s, they will have grown out of anime/manga/idols and they'll find themselves watching Wataru Seken wa Oni Bakari, jidaigeki and all the other old fart TV shows. And whatever their kids are into at that time, that's the storylines the geinokai will hit on next.

That's basically how the cycles work; the cycles appear to be 10 years each. Taking for granted this idol cycle started in the last 1990s, it is quite possible that within the next one to two years, we may see the idol genre start to fade out and then move onto something else.

--- groink

oceansportrait

Post by oceansportrait » May 3rd, '07, 16:48

I've been disappointed with the J-dorama lineup for the last several YEARS, not just the current. They were releasing so many well-written, well-casted dramas in the mid 90's so I don't know why they went downhill since then. I've watched all of the first episodes of the dramas released this season, and the only ones I bothered to continue watching was "Liar game", "Sunadokei", and "Kodoku no Kake". And even the ones I DO watch are on a "watch-only-when-I-have-the-time" basis rather than a "I-NEED-to watch" basis.

shosef

Post by shosef » May 3rd, '07, 16:57

oceansportrait...can you recommend some dramas from the 90's that are good..want to watch dramas from that time....

groink

Post by groink » May 3rd, '07, 18:13

shosef wrote:oceansportrait...can you recommend some dramas from the 90's that are good..want to watch dramas from that time....
My list (although some of them are not available on the Internet):

- Hitotsu Yane no Shita / Hitotsu Yane no Shita 2
- Itsuka Mata Aeru
- Imoto Yo
- Kono Yo no Hate
- Jinsei wa Jojo da
- Bokura ni Ai wo!
- Long Vacation*
- Hoshi no Kinka* / Zoku Hoshi no Kinka*
- Seija no Koshin*
- Aoi Tori*
- Meguri Ai*
- Virgin Road*
- Konna Koi no Hanashi*

* - Available on D-Addicts tracker

--- groink

auroragb

Post by auroragb » May 3rd, '07, 19:39

I would also add:

Kamisama Mou Sukoshi Dake (put Fukada Kyoko on the map)
Iguana no musume (put Kanno Miho on the map)
Tokyo Love Story (put Oda Yuji on the map)

and I agree with all of groink's selection except for anything with Wakui Emi.
I particularly liked Hitotsu Yane no Shita 1 & 2 and Long Vacation

karin-chan

Post by karin-chan » May 4th, '07, 14:16

just ended up MY BOSS, MY HERO...

its okay.. but i dont Like ending portion simiLar to Gokusen

another drama that is a reaL disappoinment is WITH LOVE, its a 1996 drama of Takenouchi Yukata. The whoLe thing is ZzzZZZzz and ONLY good thing there is Yuakat-kun is so hot...