Hana Yori Dango VS Meteor Garden

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.

Meteor Garden Vs Hana Yori Dango

Poll ended at Nov 24th, '05, 21:03

Metoer Garden
45%
Hana Yori Dango
55%

Total votes: 166

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Dec 14th, '05, 00:49

Great post, Beldaran! I pretty much agree with everything you've said :)
beldaran wrote:
mana wrote:i can't handle MG...for the fact that tawain always have this anti-japanese thing and all they do is produce japanese stories? It's like taiwan can't think of their own story..and what get me angry is that the mangaka can not decline their offer because its up to the company to decide.
if i remember correctly, kamio-sensei noted favorably on the airing of meteor garden.. not to mention it was wildly popular all over asia, so it would be hard to say that MG *hurt* publicity for the series.. XD

on the one hand, the anti-japanese sentiment mostly comes from mainland china.. taiwan is a supporter of japan, afaik... though this is the case, the taiwanese actors still tread the ground slowly; they are entrenched for chinese entertainment, after all..
Tho, being ethnically Chinese, Taiwan has it's group of anti-Japanese, they are definitely NOT mainstream. Actors try to be apolitical, but I think an actor gets perceived poorly if they are pro-China, where as being a Nipponophile is cool :)
beldaran wrote:
mana wrote:Why is it called METEOR GARDEN? Isn't the story called (in english) Boys over Flower? I dunno i got the whole set of mg and what made me dislike it most...was the big...dramatic 'weed power' barbie kept displaying. Like i read the manga..i dont see her going.."weed power" every chapter (episode).
all translations of any title is bound for some liberal translation. hell, the manga called "POWER!!!" (written in english) became "GIRL GOT GAME" when it came to the u.s.... the american movie "where the heart is" received a different title when it showed in japan...
Indeed, Boys Over Flowers is a play on words in Japanese that doesn't work in Chinese. Even the Chinese Manga title is a bit abstract and actually doesn't mean the same kind of thing it means in Japanese

Honestly, I don't think that HYD would have been done in dorama if not for the success of MG. If only for the sheer scale and expense of the project, but with the success of MG, it reduced the risk dramatically. So this allowed this project to be greenlighted.

With Japan being the home of the source material, I'd think that it would be a matter of national pride to out-do the foreign version. This is VERY clear on the production value. No expense was spared in the production of this dorama.

But, with more money, more star power, etc. The fact that it's not a slam-dunk for HYD makes MG the winner imho. MG singlehandedly created a genre of dramas in Taiwan. It created a storm in Asian international market not seen again until the Korean wave. Ultimately, the influence of HYD will be limited to dorama fans with minimal impact overseas. In fact, to the non-dorama fans, it would probably have to be introduced as the Japanese version of MG

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Dec 14th, '05, 04:55

Kathleen wrote:=
I can't tell wheather or not Taiwan is pro-Japan or the other way around...
Of course nobody ever has the same exact opinion, but generally Taiwanese are pro-Japan. This is because Taiwan had been occupied by Japan for years before WWII, and unlike other places, Japan did not mistreat or abuse the people. Instead, the Japanese built up most of the infrastructure of Taiwan, including roads, public works, and the education system. This is why most Taiwanese are very enamoured of Japanese products and culture.

The ppl that tend to be anti-Japanese are the more recent generations who escaped from the Mainland after the Japanese invasions... but that's why I said "native Taiwanese" (which is of course also different from "ethnic Taiwanese") >_<;;;

phantasimaker

Post by phantasimaker » Dec 17th, '05, 06:19

Is there going to be a second season for the jdrama "Hana Yori Dango"?
The ending to episode 9 is sooo open-ended. Plus there were the words: "See you, soon."

shirahime

Post by shirahime » Dec 17th, '05, 09:50

phantasimaker wrote:Is there going to be a second season for the jdrama "Hana Yori Dango"?
The ending to episode 9 is sooo open-ended. Plus there were the words: "See you, soon."
I think there should be a HYD 2 because there's so much of the story left. The ending is very open as you said. None of the pairs are really closing up...they all seems has just started...

phantasimaker

Post by phantasimaker » Dec 18th, '05, 03:37

shirahime wrote:
phantasimaker wrote:Is there going to be a second season for the jdrama "Hana Yori Dango"?
I think there should be a HYD 2 because there's so much of the story left. The ending is very open as you said. None of the pairs are really closing up...they all seems has just started...
I agree, it seems like the pairings just got started...

Sana

Post by Sana » Dec 18th, '05, 11:50

Based on MG, I've always thought that Doumyouji was supposed to be a little slow, but is it just me or is Japanese version making him out to be a super retard? I haven't read the manga so somebody fill me in on whats his "true" character is supposed to me.

Chidori-Chan

Post by Chidori-Chan » Dec 18th, '05, 12:03

HYD jdrama is a no watcher in my eyes

i love JUN in gokusen! ^^!

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Dec 18th, '05, 12:16

Sana wrote:Based on MG, I've always thought that Doumyouji was supposed to be a little slow, but is it just me or is Japanese version making him out to be a super retard? I haven't read the manga so somebody fill me in on whats his "true" character is supposed to me.
Actually Doumyouji in the manga often enough proofs he's actually quite intelligent. He knows everything about the survival stuff (starting from how to prevent frot bite to what to do on a deserted island), furthermore he can speak several languages, he plays the piano and he has very sharp senses. I especially like about him that he knows exactly what to say to others to get them where he wants them to be. His only flaw is his own language which, Tsukushi supposed, is because he's been learning all kinds of other stuff ever since he was little that he never put much effort into learning Japanese. (He skipped school a lot, too.)
I don't think he has that Goofy-character he has in the J-drama. I must say though that the J-version came a lot closer to his true character than MG did. Daoming Su is a way to wimpy Doumyouji. Let me put it this way: When Doumyouji is being laughed at, the J-version laughs back stupidly like "Haha, YOU are the one that's stupid!", the Taiwanese version pouts and apparently tries to look cute, whereas the real Doumyouji gets irritated (either shouts or leaves). But that wasn't your question, really.

wink

Post by wink » Dec 18th, '05, 12:34

for me no question about meteor garden much much better than hana!!!

debstuh

Post by debstuh » Dec 19th, '05, 17:19

i sorta watched meteor garden with my sister 2 years ago i think. i was like wat are you watchin?! haha but she kept on watchin it. as i sorta watched it with her i didn't enjoy it as much as the jdrama. i didn't know much about hana yori dango until i saw the forums how everyone was waitin for the next episode and then i previewed the episodes from winamp. cause of the internet tv. then as i watched one episode, i got hooked. next thing you know. i'm watching all the episodes and i decided to download it. it was so worth it!! i was like up till 10am watchin it. haha the meteor garden one was too much drama for me i think. and it wasn't all that great to me. now i know where F4 got their name. :P jackers. haha just kiddin' but everyone has their own taste in drama. but between the two i would definitely choose hana yori dango over meteor garden. but everyone has their own taste in drama!! =]

Eria

Post by Eria » Dec 19th, '05, 21:15

Now that HYD is over, I can finally give MY 2 cents/MY OPINION about this MG vs HYD thing. Note: If you have something against what I said, that's not my problem. Get over it!

I think MG is a plain, no artistic/originality, almost all the dialogues exerted from the manga/anime, long drama. Totally boring! The storyline is the same with the manga except you watch a bunch of "actors" or models who can't act. I had to do a lot of skipping also. If it wasn't the first taiwanese drama i've seen, i won't even remember it. What an overrated drama! Note to self: NEVER watch any drama that my cousin would recommend. Sorry cousin, this is all your fault. Jumping in the bandwagon so easily. But what the heck, we live we learn.

Now, HYD on the other hand, hands down but not flawless. The screenwriter/scriptwriter *or whatever technical words they use for those people in charge* was amazing. The actors were amazing. The storyline is something that I could watch over and over again, and that being said, the episode length is just right. There were no boring parts where I have to skip. Everything is well-done! The idea from the manga is still there but with originality. The flaws would be, not enough airtime for the "Extras" (as I call them) or the other 2 F4 guys in the first half of the series. The clothings *gotta admit, they need to fire their stylist*. Hmmm. I think that's it. There's MY 2 cents. I'm over this thread also!

angelicflame

Post by angelicflame » Dec 22nd, '05, 07:22

i've finished watching both series and i would say that the japanese one is MUCH MUCH MUCH better!

in terms of production quality, the japanese one definitely surpasses that of taiwan. sometimes the words in the MG will just get eaten up by the background noise while i can really hear every word spoken in HYD.

Secondly, the acting are of course rather good in HYD while that of taiwan...ahem. sorry to those F4 fans out there but they are just meerly parading around in MG. i was rather doubtful about Matsumoto Jun as Tsukasa at first 'cause of this height and all, but i totally went gaga over him after a few more episodes. the other 3 members of the HYD F4 did a really good job too. Inoue Mao also had a better portrayal of tsukushi to me. Barbie is pretty good but she doesnt go as far as Inoue as. i think Inoue portrayed the "inner feelings" of Tsukasa better. I'll just laugh and cry with her as i watch HYD.

Plotwise, it's about the same. I was quite unhappy that HYD cut off some of my favourite parts from the orinigal manga but there is a valid reason for it. (i really hope that there'll ve a second series of HYD) And the flow of the plot of HYD is rather good too. It didnt feel all that rushed to me. MG was a tad draggy at some parts.

However, I was not very happy with the Shizuka in HYD. She's too stylish for me. The Taiwanese one is better. and HYD should really change their stylish. Dont know it's me or what, I noticed that the F4 are always wearing something furry with a tie of some sort. but HOHOHO...HYD is definitely more sophisticated and had a better portrayal of F4's power. I've lost count of how many limos there are in the show.

just my few cents worth. The first season of MG wasnt too bad but HYD really rocks!

P0KEY
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by P0KEY » Dec 22nd, '05, 08:02

i`ve been waiting for this thread to magically pop out sooner or later... :lol

honestly speaking, i would not have watched Hana Yori Dango if it weren`t for Meteor Garden. only through the influence of meteor garden did i have any interest whatsoever in hana yori dango. meteor garden`s acting must`ve not been that great, but the effect it had on millions of viewers in taiwan and china, and all over the world was sensational. so i still have to stick wtih meteor garden, because it was the one that started it all. normally i`m not a jdrama person, but hana yori dango was one that i was so excited to watch (and this is a first for jdrama) and it made me want to watch more jdramas, like densha otoko.

so all in all, i like meteor garden a lot in general, but i like watching hana yori dango.

Meteor Garden:
+ F4 :wub:
+ More episodes (showed more story)
+ funny
+ sweet
- bad acting (most of the time....)
- hate shan cai (she is in denial too much and shes just a ****)
- season 2 ruined it

Hana Yori Dango:
+ F4 :wub:
+ realistic, mature
+ seems like their budget was endless... really good props, etc..
+ great acting
- not enough episodes (hopefully season 2 will come out)
- too serious sometimes
- not enough sweet/cute moments between tsukasa and makino

The both have their good and bad points, but thats what makes them unique :-)

van737

Post by van737 » Dec 23rd, '05, 09:42

:D :D :D :D I totally love Hana Yori Dango
I love the manga so i didnt like the taiwanese version. I want to see the more accurate version of the manga.
Sorry to say but Barbie cant act and she doesnt fit the role as MAkino anyway.
I think the Jap version has a better cast since i think that the F4 in the tai ver. are ugly
I think that Taiwanese has the worst fashion. In all the taiwanses movies that i have watch, their style is way below korean and Jap.
I guess i'm being bias but i think RUi in Hana Yori dango is hot. The way he dresses and the way he looks is total hotness compare to MG's Rui.
Dont hate me but i think vaness from MG is soo UGly. I cant stand watching him

Micky2mek

Post by Micky2mek » Dec 24th, '05, 00:09

I liked it. Wished it would have been more ep's theo.
I still haven't seen meteor garden 1 yet. I saw some of 2 and 2 was bad that I just went to the last ep :|

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Dec 24th, '05, 01:16

When HYD started, I couldn't decided truly which one I thought was a better one. i've always thought that each shouldn't be compared to the other b/c each held their own uniqueness and their own view of the characters. However, after finishing Hana Yori Dango, I'd have to say that I favor the Jdorama better, simply b/c I believe that it hit the platform of HYD to a higher extend than did Meteor Garden. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Meteor Garden and I love the fact that they did emphasize more on each event where as the Jdorama was a bit rushed. But in the end, I still really favor Hana Yori Dango over Meteor Garden b/c 1) the acting is better 2) Matsumoto portrayed the real Domyouji [irrational and impatient, but full of love] 3) the main casts portrayed their characters very well 4) the settings, no matter what you say, you have got to hand it to HYD b/c theirs was much more luxurious [which is the impression that I initially got from the manga] 5) Though with a limited time frame, they did a very well job in mixng in some of the events in the manga ----DO NOT read spoiler, if you haven't finished the manga!! ----
6) Finally.. the ending. It stayed true to the manga, though for different reasons, they still stayed true to how the manga truly ends. I was depressed after finishing the manga, but after watching Matsumoto and Inoue reenact the whole scene made me understand and be more acceptable of what really needed to happen
Overall, I think both versions were great, but for me Hana Yori Dango hit a higher level in portraying the original [manga] Hana Yori Dango.

mangosteen
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by mangosteen » Dec 30th, '05, 09:49

I'm watching Hana Yori Dango and so hooked now. It has something that the Taiwanese version lacks.

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Jan 10th, '06, 23:50

Yes, Hana Yori Dango is sooooo much better than Meteor Garden.
In terms of: acting, story, characters ( what more could you want)..
Though it was rushed a bit, the main story is still there and each actor did their part to portray their roles accurately. I watched both Meteor Garden 1 and 2, but I was so annoyed with the acting that I could not finish 2. It dragged on too long.

xiaowanzi

Post by xiaowanzi » Jan 11th, '06, 16:05

@hmm_yeh: i think u summed up everything~
agree w both hands :cheers:

fuyuke

Post by fuyuke » Jan 12th, '06, 15:11

i do agree that jap version is much better than the taiwan's in term of every way. it seemed as though the taiwan version was trying to let f4 become popular. and the jap version realy do make me laugh. ahahaha

chunny

Post by chunny » Jan 28th, '06, 10:23

Hana Yori Dango!!!

But before Hana Yori Dango came out , I was a HUGE Meteor Garden fan...

elyusai

Comparisons

Post by elyusai » Feb 2nd, '06, 19:06

I think Meteor Garden is more on drama. Hana Yori Dango Live Action Japanese Version on the other hand, is more on romantic-comedy. The scenes in MG only became comedy when Qing He (version of Aioke Kazuya) and Shan Cai’s parents is around. MG forgot to stress some important points in Hana Yori Dango that the Jap version put some remedy. Like how powerful is the F4 in school, how rich the kids in Eitoku and how truly wealthy is the Doumyouji Family. When it comes to costumes and sets, I preferred the Jap version. They really made it realistic. To the soundtrack, I think it’s a tie. But the Jap version made it really like in the anime.

When it comes to characters:

Doumyouji Tsukasa - I think Jerry Yan showed the character of Tsukasa better when it comes to height and character. Jerry Yan's Dao Ming Si version of Tsukasa is more sarcastic than Jun's and I think that the character should be. To the appearance and costumes, I preferred Jun. They should have maintained the curly hair of Dao Ming Si up to the end of the series. Jun Matsumoto's character of Tsukasa is more violent, cruel and sadistic than Jerry's. But Jun really performed the lonely side of Tsukasa than Jerry. (The scenes with the puzzles)

Hanazawa Rui- The looks, I much preferred Vic than Shun. Rui's spot -of course in MG. Rui's spot in MG is too little in space and I truly wonder how he could sleep on those stairways. Hua Ze Lei can play the violin, Rui can play the piano (also Tsukasa); so I preferred Vic for that. The good things with Shun is that he has a good voice and maybe his hairstyle. One thing is for sure- Hua Ze Lei CAN’T DUNK!!!! When it comes of taking care and support to Tsukushi, I think it's a tie.

Nishikado Soujiro - The loud-mouthed side of Jiro, i think Ken performed it better. When it comes to appearance, none of the 2 got the exact appearance of Jiro. The playboy side of Jiro, I think it’s a tie.

Mimasaka Akira - The appearance, of course- Vanness. Akira should be long-hair. When it comes to Akira's playboy side, I think Tsuyoshi performed it better because Akira's character should be interested in older women.

Makino Tsukushi - I think it's a tie. But the scenes when she's talking to herself, I preferred Barbie than Mao.

Matsuoka Yuki - I preferred Rainie. She performed it well when it comes to Yuki's serious side when giving advices on Shan Cai's problems..

Sanjou Sakurako - I preferred Megumi. Her house and character are really like in the anime/manga. But they made her a little bit psychotic, and I think that's a little bit exaggeration, but it's OK!

Todou Shizuka - I much preferred Mayumi. Qian Wei Shan’s version of Shizuka seems that she only looked rich when she’s with the F4 and during the party.

Tsukushi’s Mom – Huang Yuet in Meteor Garden. She got the hairstyle and the nagging side of Tsukushi’s mom.

Tsukushi’s Dad –Dong Zi Chen in MG. He seems more submissive to Tsukushi’s mom which the character should be patterned. I think the Jap version should pattern the characters more from the anime/ manga.

Doumyouji Tsubaki – I preferred Shu Hua Fung in MG. She got the serious but caring side of Tsubaki. But I really like the cheerful Tsubaki that Nanako performed. The looks – Nanako.

Doumyouji Kaede – I preferred the 1 in Meteor Garden. She got the looks and the strict side of Kaede. Mariko’s character of Kaede is some kind of twisted and sadistic.

Thomas - Thomas has not much character in MG. He is American in MG and hasn't given a dialogue. He is Japanese in the HYDLAJV unlike in the anime/manga where he is German. He has lot of scenes in HYDLAJV so I preferred that Thomas. And to clarify it, Thomas and Rui are not look alike in the Jap version. Rui (Shun) is slit-eyed and the Thomas there has round eyes. Thomas' looks in the Jap version can be compared to that of Vic rather than Shun.

I can’t compare Susumu and Kazuya since Kazuya is not in the Jap version and Susumu is not in MG.

To the 3 obnoxious girl classmates of Tsukushi, I also can’t compare them since there are only 2 in MG. (I truly wondered why Tsukasa or Rui never even posted red tags on their locker rooms and bother to kick them out in school for bullying Tsukushi?!)
Last edited by elyusai on Feb 12th, '06, 18:24, edited 19 times in total.

elyusai

Post by elyusai » Feb 2nd, '06, 19:17

Can I ask if Kurimaki Ayano's character is the live action of Ookawahara Shigeru, right?! So, why did they change the name instead of patterning it in the anime/ manga like the rest of the characters?! :roll

SunStar

Post by SunStar » Feb 3rd, '06, 04:12

I SOLELY BELIEVE HANA YORI DANGO IS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the tawainese version was tooooooo dragging and F4's clothing was toooooooo wacky!!! COME ON!!! who would wear something like that... especially Dau Ming Sz's clothing... compared to Doumyouji Tsukasa.... Dau Ming Sz was a weirdo!!!

besides.... the characters in the Japanese version are soooo much better looking.... Barbie did not match the part of Shan Tsai at all.... Inoue Mao played Makino Tsukushi very good....

JAPANESE VERSION IS 100% BETTER TO WATCH!!!

m1lk_tea

Post by m1lk_tea » Feb 3rd, '06, 10:34

elyusai wrote:Can I ask if Kurimaki Ayano's character is the live action of Ookawahara Shigeru, right?! So, why did they change the name instead of patterning it in the anime/ manga like the rest of the characters?! :roll
in the j-live action, kurimaki ayano is domyouji's fiance, whereas in the manga, ayano is NOT domyouji's fiance, instead she is kinsan's fiance whom went back to Japan (from an overseas country which i forgot) to join TOJ since she heard the rumour of kinsan's declaration of love to tsukishi during his b-day party.
in the maga, doumyouji's fiance was ookawahara shigeru, which is not in j-live action, but is in the MG1.
i don't know why they ddn't strictly follow everything from the manga, but it's quite common for manga-based dramas to do some adaptations here and there... one reason maybe because of the budget constraint or the anticipated length of the drama.. i always hope one day someone will do a HYD drama which is very closely following every lil bit of the manga.. i wonder if it'll be possible.. due to the fact that domyoji's and his gang always do all kind of super ultra expesnive thingss!! :P

elyusai

Post by elyusai » Feb 3rd, '06, 12:06

Thanks for clearing it m1lk_tea!!! :-)

neena

Post by neena » Feb 3rd, '06, 15:47

chunny wrote:Hana Yori Dango!!!

But before Hana Yori Dango came out , I was a HUGE Meteor Garden fan...
i was hooked on MG until i saw HYD too! hahah. i like HYD more because the characters....you just have to fall in love with them! its so hard for me to watch MG now a days for me...i have no idea why.

SunStar

Post by SunStar » Feb 4th, '06, 07:11

:cry: .... i can't find good pictures of Jun as Doumyouji....

it's sooooo hard finding Hana Yori Dango pictures... anyone know a good site to go get them?

:salut:

SuO

Post by SuO » Feb 12th, '06, 12:41

ur kiddin me,right,ur kiddin me
LOL

SunStar

Post by SunStar » Feb 13th, '06, 05:16

i'm not kidding... i'm looking for actual photos... NOT SCREEN CAPS.... there's a difference... photos are good quality and they are all dressed up for it... screen caps are okay... but they don't look their best...

hebiko

Post by hebiko » May 1st, '06, 02:39

Well .. I actually like Hana Yori Dango better than Meteor Garden. Firstly, it's because I don't like dramas that are tooo long. I know that Meteor Garden is good since it follows the manga fully. The pace of HYD is faster and a lot are happening .. while in Meteor Garden, the events takes a loong time to happen.

This is just my opinion.

liannejoy

Post by liannejoy » May 18th, '06, 16:06

MG!!!! MG!!! MG!!!!!
Hands down! honestly! MG!!!! :lol

azn-angelz-demons

Post by azn-angelz-demons » Sep 27th, '06, 11:17

both good but I like Hana Yori Dango~!!!!

KAAdonkaDUNK

Post by KAAdonkaDUNK » Mar 26th, '07, 05:59

I'd have to say I really enjoyed both. maybe hana yori dango like 0.5 more. But both of them were good, they both have they're own unique style. I really like how both actors played the characters of Domyoji Tsukasa & Dao Ming Si. I think both were able to pull of the stubborn, try to play it off, agressive but actually innocent character. the japanese version altough was more darker, but still it made me laugh and smile as much as meteor garden. But at first i thought F4 in both shows did seem kinda flowery if you know what i'm saying and i know you know what i'm saying. Plus i didnt think any of them were cute. But as the shows progessed i started noticing they were pretty cute. maybe taiwanese F4 more then Japanese F4. But heeey CUTE is CUTE. and also they didnt seem as fruity as i thought they were. So overall they were both good.

My favorite scenes...Dont look if you havent finished both shows. unless you want to. of course.
In the taiwanese version I loved that cookie scene, when dao ming si is in lei's room. and the scene when shan cai put his mom in check on the piano. that caught me off gaurd. it was great. :cheers:

In japanese version Ya' got to love that BATHROOM scene. =). And the shredded apple part in the 4th episode. HiL-ARRRii--OUS :lol

tabichan

Post by tabichan » May 9th, '07, 18:53

Both are good and both should not be missed. The people who prefer HYD because the other is "too long" are ones with very short attention spans I suppose, but for me when I enjoy a series and grow to love the characters I'm in no hurry to see it end. Also the point about being better because it's "closer to the manga" is a bit silly in my opinion; closer to the manga makes it more "faithful" but not necessarily better. Besides, if MG followed the manga just as HYD did, what would be the point of watching it? It would be just a clone of the other series, just in a different language?

The differences between the two series are enough to keep them unique and worth watching one when you've already seen the other. As mentioned, MG is longer, and this allows for more character development, more insight into the supporting characters (which I loved) and a less hurried feel. The love triangle thing was refreshingly different in MG, with the "other woman" being someone you like and sympathize with rather than the typical evil manipulating witch. I liked the lead female in HYD more than the one in MG; Shancai was nice to everyone but the guy she supposedly loved, and her constant shrill snapping and barking at him made me want to slap her at times. =p

Not that it really matters, because you don't (I hope) watch an entire series just to see who's "hot", but the people who say "the guys were hotter" in this one or that one... that's a matter of opinion, all the actors are gorgeous in both series. (the people who say that NEITHER group of guys appealed to them... err... I don't know what to say except maybe get an eye exam? lol) Anyway, both series have their merits, the differences in plotline and casting make it easy to forget that they are supposed to be based on the same story. I would highly recommend both of them, but since MG is indeed longer and more detailed I would suggest seeing HYD first, if you haven't already.

l0nEr

Post by l0nEr » May 11th, '07, 01:10

Definitely HYD. like tabichan mentioned, HYD is much shorter and sweeter. MG is so draggy. (actually not totally true, if your only want to consider MG 1 vs HYD 1 and 2 combined, but MG 2 is horrible ****). Somehow i dun really enjoy taiwanese drama, the way they film it, the audio sounds too hollow (i dun really noe how to describe this), there seems to be a lot of echo and little music in the show.

Anyway, somehow HYD ppl look richer than MG ppl. Haha. I mean HYD ppl are really carrying expensive stuff and driving great looking cars. MG ppl still look poor to me. Haha. Im biased.

Last point, Makino is real cute in HYD. Sorry to say that Small S, isnt actually that cute. I can only remember her sulking face now.

nanafarhanna

Post by nanafarhanna » May 11th, '07, 17:03

i've read some of the posts here.. hmm.. i think most of us are biased.. well, we tend to get bias when it comes to our own opinion.. cos it's how we see stuff..

for me, both hanadan and meteor garden have their own strength points.. they're both equally good and it's hard to really compare between those 2..

there are differences, but hey, cant we just loves both??

i'm voting for both.. hahahaha..

but frankly, i laughed a lot when i watched MG.. but hanadan, i cried a lot.. i mean, not a lot.. but some of the scenes were so tearful..

but i love it since it's a happy ending after all..

cheers~

nanafarhanna

Post by nanafarhanna » May 11th, '07, 17:03

i've read some of the posts here.. hmm.. i think most of us are biased.. well, we tend to get bias when it comes to our own opinion.. cos it's how we see stuff..

for me, both hanadan and meteor garden have their own strength points.. they're both equally good and it's hard to really compare between those 2..

there are differences, but hey, cant we just loves both??

i'm voting for both.. hahahaha..

but frankly, i laughed a lot when i watched MG.. but hanadan, i cried a lot.. i mean, not a lot.. but some of the scenes were so tearful..

but i love it since it's a happy ending after all..

cheers~

thtlam

Post by thtlam » May 11th, '07, 17:47

Hana Yori Dango :D

3chankoolzE

Post by 3chankoolzE » May 11th, '07, 18:26

I like both of them but, I prefere MG than HYD, bcause Matsumoto Jun doesn't look like Tsukasa. In the comic says that Domiojy is tall but MatsuJun is the shortest members of F4... :scratch:
But he still cute :P , hehe!!

najimta

Post by najimta » May 11th, '07, 19:01

1st season wise: both. i liked the fast-paced of hana yori dango and i liked how MG focused on Si's and Shancia's love more than anything else.

2nd season wise: Hana yori dango all the way. MG2 doesnt even come close. it was sooo draggy. 31 episodes and its was only in the first two and last ep that they were together.

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » May 11th, '07, 19:17

tabichan wrote: The differences between the two series are enough to keep them unique and worth watching one when you've already seen the other.
Exactly! I enjoyed watching both and i ended buying the dvd box of both. Some people ask me why i did that if it's the 'same' story but as you said, they're both unique and worth watching.

If i had to chose which i liked most, i would say that i liked MG a little bit more because I think Jerry and Barbie had much more chemistry than Inoue and Jun. The japanese pair was great too and I really like Jun but i think even though he was physicly more similiar to doumoji than Jerry, i think that Jerry was better portraying the brute but also sweet Doumoji. I felt that Jerry's version of Doumoji seemed to have a love much more intense for Shancai than Jun's version. And the bond of these 2 character in the taiwanese version seemed much more intense than the japanese version.

For example, if a poll:

"Who should Shancai stay with?
Dao ming si
Lei"
<---- in the poll about MG, i think around 80% or more would say she should stay with Dao Ming Si. (EVen the Zai Zai/Lei lovers-like myself- would vote for Dao ming si)

"Who should makino stay with?
Doumoji
Rui"
<----- in the poll about HYD, i think it would almost be a tie....60 % prefering her to stay with doumoji and 40% wanting her to stay with Rui.

understand what i mean??

But in a overall, i LOVE both series and I love all characters of all versions (except the parents of makino/shancai , on both versions they were totally annoying!-_-). And I didnt got tired of watching one serie just after finishing the other. :wub:

GlamourGirl40

Post by GlamourGirl40 » Jul 27th, '07, 21:26

I really did enjoy both but I agree that MG season 1 and 2 are both very long. So, if I had to decide, I'd probably choose HYD because it's shorter and I didn't think the sequel of HYD was bad compared to the MG sequel.