The Ten Commandments of Korean Drama

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
fayenatic

The Ten Commandments of Korean Drama

Post by fayenatic » Jul 24th, '04, 07:21

Sharing this from the soompi forums. Quite accurate if taken with a pinch of salt. Very amusing. :w00t:
credits: anti goorah for translation and naver.com

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS OF K-DRAMAS:

Gathering the inevitable elements from k-dramas, I have compiled the following list.

1) Relationships

-The Truth? A love triangle is a MUST.

However, there are more sub-categories under love triangles.

--Two men- One woman= In this type of love triangles, all the guys are good-looking, professional, and wealthy.
The girl is poor but EXTREMELY pretty and innocent. Under no circumstances can the drama lack the girl nor can the guy be sub-perfect.

--Two girls- One man= Once again, the man is a rich heir to a massive fortune and/or company. At the very least, he is the Vice President of his father's company; always dresses in crisp suits, knows business-smarts, and is of course- handsome. Likewise, the girl is just as beautiful but POOR and innocent. The Other Girl who is about the same level as the Guy is pretty but evil and/or psychotic. For the guy, the Girl is always sacrificing herself. In the long line of K-Drama history, the Evil GIrl has never gotten the Guy.

(+Nowadays, the 2 Guys-2 Girl Love Quadri-angle is very popular, not to mention complex)

Conclusion- In the drama, the guy is always handsome, rich, AT LEAST the vice-president of a mega-conglomerate but ODDLY ENOUGH(?) he doesn't know how to be anything but KIND and LOVING toward his polar opposite: The Pretty-Innocent Girl. In one word? The Kight In Shining Armor.

On the other hand, the Girl is always poor, but spunky and inevitably GORGEOUS with a HIGH SENSE OF indepenence and PRIDE. Even though The Girl gets the Man (in the long history of k-dramas, this is EQUIVALENT TO THE BIG BANG THEORY), she always gets screwed by the Other-Pretty-But-Evil Girl in the middle.

2) Marriage

-There CANNOT be a marriage WITHOUT the interference/fierce opposition of the family.

Whether it is class differences, family problems, the marriage cannot come without a big bang in between. NOTE: The parent's opposition never lasts forever. In the end (usually 1~2 episodes before the End), they are suddenly all loving and grandmotherly without the prior b!tchiness displayed through Episodes 1~6. A story that's been more stretched out than turkey meat.

The rich family is the one that protests the wedding, the parents threaten to cut off all ties with their child and/or remove them from the family register.

In the end, they say OK.

3) The Man's Profession.

-In popular dramas, there are no middle-level management employees, no salesman, no KFC manager, and Definitly no pizza delivery guy. Their fathers are always the CEO of a huge company, and the Male Character himself is AT THE VERY LEAST Managing Director / Market Director. He is UBER-talented in his field. I wonder how many % of the world's male population fit the aforementioned qualifications. In addition, MOST of these GUYS ARE ALSO Awesome FIGHTERS.

Rich. Good-looking. Intelligent. Prestigious Family Background. Skilled. HAS COMPLETED COLLEGE AND/OR MBA ABROAD (99% IN AMERICA).

Dresses like a Model. Kind. Warm. Pure-hearted. Perfect Gentleman. CLEAN. Plays at least ONE Musical Instrument. Good at SPORTS.

LASTLY, although the origins are unknown, they ARE HELLA GOOD FIGHTERS.

4) Girl's Profession/Job.

-In this situation, it's not absolute, but MOST OF THEM work at the Guy's company and/or closely affiliated fields. Of course, the Guy ignores his seniority over the Girl and helps her out like a guardian angel. And although most of the Girls have a high sense of independence AND do everything there is, they rarely get any recognition for their hard work. To put it more specifically, the Woman's CLIMBING/OVERCOME OF SOCIAL OBSTACLES are not very important- at least not enough to focus on.

5) The Republic of Korea FIts In Buddha's Palm?!

-There are dozens of parks in Seoul (The 3rd most populated city in the WORLD). What is the likelihood of two people WITH DAY JOBS spotting each other like that? But against LOGIC and PROBABILITY, One of the Main Character always sees the other person WITH THE EVIL CHARACTER EVERYONE LOVES TO HATE. (In girl's case, they usually roll their huge-ass eyes with double-lids).

6) The extent of lovers' touching BEFORE & AFTER the conflict is resolved.

-While dating, it is ALWAYS a hug. After their conflict gets resolved, ALWAYS a KISS. There can be no IN-BETWEEN. In the earlier stages of their relationsihp, they are always hugging (no more, no less), but when the obstacle (whether its the EVIL 3rd Party and/or Evil-Crazy Parents), they start kissing EVEN THOUGH NO ONE TOLD THEM TO. Can't they kiss BEFORE and hug AFTER?

7) Cancer & Car Accidents

The main character ALWAYS dies of cancer. And they usually don't recover.
When the character gets cancer diagnosis, they usally think "that's it, my life is over." Especially when its the Girl, it's 99% likely cancer. It can't be a freak accident- no sticking a finger into the toaster, no falling off the cliff, no struck by lightning- it's GOTTA BE CANCER. And in the final stages, they HAVE to go on a JOURNEY.

They ignore little, unimportant details such as : CHEMOTHERAPY, MEDICATION, TRIAL THERAPIES, MODERN MEDICINAL CARE IN GENERAL.
Without trying, they usually end up dead.

Although the MAIN CHARACTERS usually die of Cancer, most of the RELATED characters die of car accidents.

It's true that South Korea has many vehicular accidents, but almost all of the not-quite-the-main-characters die from car crashes.

8 ) THE RICH CHARACTER's HOUSE IS ALWAYS 2-STORY HIGH.

-The Wealthy person has to live in a 2-story house. They can either live at a HUMONGOUS apartment like Tower Pellis (The Formerly Most Expensive APT in Korea, now its Hyundai I-Park -_-) Although the character can live by themselves, their family always has two stories. IT CANNOT BE 3 STORIES HIGH, ONLY 2. And even though its a huge-ass house, they never have a A/C machine (The Korean type that's shaped like a refrigerator) in the middle of summer. From the viewer's perspective, the kitchen is always to our left and the master bedroom is always to the right. The stairways is at the middle and the front door is to the right, as well.

AND THE RICHER THEY ARE, THE LESS LIKELY ARE THEY TO HAVE TELEVISIONS.

Although home theatres are the rage nowadays, it seems that the rich people don't follow that trend. On the other hand, the Girl's family usually resides in the GHETTO with long, winding roads with doors that have chipped paint.

9) The Must-Have: Slapping

For as long as I have lived, I have never BEEN slapped nor have I slapped as I have seen in k-dramas. In fact, I've never seen other people do, either. When the main character's pissed: SLAP. Unsatisfied? Slap. Fighting? Slap. Seeking revenge? Slap. [insert random emotion]? Slap.

As I watch k-dramas, I wonder if the roots of Korean culture lies within the Art of Slapping. Whatever the problem is, a good-ole slap can solve it. Currently, the REALISM of the slapping fascinates me. They hit hard.

10) The Chauffeur's NAME IS ALWAYS "KIM"/김기사

It's true that Kim is the most common Last Name in South Korea, but MOST, if not ALL drivers in the drama are named Kim. Can't there be a Driver Park? Driver Choi? Driver Cha? Driver Bang? Driver Lee? Driver Lim?! There are countless surnames, yet the driver must be 김기사 "Driver Kim" or else. Do many Kims work in the transportation field?!

ShaolinMunky

Re: The Ten Commandments of Korean Drama

Post by ShaolinMunky » Jul 24th, '04, 07:39

fayenatic wrote:9) The Must-Have: Slapping

For as long as I have lived, I have never BEEN slapped nor have I slapped as I have seen in k-dramas. In fact, I've never seen other people do, either. When the main character's pissed: SLAP. Unsatisfied? Slap. Fighting? Slap. Seeking revenge? Slap. [insert random emotion]? Slap.

As I watch k-dramas, I wonder if the roots of Korean culture lies within the Art of Slapping. Whatever the problem is, a good-ole slap can solve it. Currently, the REALISM of the slapping fascinates me. They hit hard.
Gotta love a slap scene, it always you give that face of :O or the WTF? face :blink and that face that makes you say thats gotta hurt :crazy:.
:P

fusillibernie

Post by fusillibernie » Jul 24th, '04, 08:09

oh man..that cancer/car accident thing as well as love triangles...some times rectangles...is so true...and there must be like...classical music also...sheesh..korean dramas take care of two subjects in school...geometry and music...

Hudsonn

Post by Hudsonn » Jul 24th, '04, 08:55

It's so true that almost all kdramas follow that plan, but still i wonder why they have to do almost every drama with this concept and many new dramas are like copies of older ones and nobody cares about it. Well i don't know about you but i still enjoy kdramas even thou its sometimes so ovious whats gonna happen. :wub:

kood
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kood » Jul 24th, '04, 09:08

True. All true.

Why does Korea reproduce this formula?
Maybe because it works and the audience can't get enough of it.

Besides, isn't Korea's preference of film is melodrama.
After all these years of making series and films, ideas soon run short, just like Hollywood.

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Jul 24th, '04, 10:42

Don't forget the 11th commandment: Thou shalt have plenty of emotional scenes throughout, but will have an anticlamatic ending that you will surely miss if you blink more than once. Also leave many subplots dangling, and never show the couples who do meet in the end getting married or anything permanent. A hug, kiss, or longing gaze will do nicely. ...not!!!

Once in a while it'd be nice to see a hint about what happens after that initial reunion, on the rare drama that breaks commandment 7. Well, Sang Doo kind of did this, but no spoilers...

beer

Post by beer » Jul 24th, '04, 11:07

A general rule also seems to be that the young female lead at least once during the series gets drunk beyond imagination.

lilyella

Post by lilyella » Jul 24th, '04, 12:14

interesting observations!

yeah, most of the characters in Korean dramas die because of cancer.

Jinchi

Post by Jinchi » Jul 24th, '04, 12:44

Can't agree more. People that die because of cancer rarely recover, even in kdramas.

krys

Post by krys » Jul 24th, '04, 14:23

fayenatic wrote:3) The Man's Profession.-In popular dramas, there are no middle-level management employees, no salesman, no KFC manager, and Definitly no pizza delivery guy. Their fathers are always the CEO of a huge company, and the Male Character himself is AT THE VERY LEAST Managing Director / Market Director.
Some happen to be prosecutors ( attic cat, sweet 18 ). Strange thing is, this is the case only in comedies...
On the other hand, thugs seem to be respected (though that one applies to movies mostly).

dofuagedashi

cheesy

Post by dofuagedashi » Jul 24th, '04, 16:26

Man, those are exactly the reasons why I don't watch K-dramas at all. I think they're so cheesy and soap-opera-ish. Plus, they're usually 20 something episodes, which is too long for my taste.

Can't deny the fact that their cast are always good looking. But that's probably their highest selling point.

hawaiialoha

Post by hawaiialoha » Jul 24th, '04, 18:34

Aloha....I am new to this forum and thoughly enjoyed reading the commandments...soooooo funny but I agree :P :P :P I wanted to add that they also cry..cry..cry..cry but never have swollen eyes!!!!! There seems to be two categories to the technique of crying.... 1st being "just crying' and the 2nd being "crying with nose running"

koolau

Post by koolau » Jul 24th, '04, 18:56

Like I wrote in another thread on D-Addicts...
Cancer is the national disease of Korea...They pride themselves in not dying from any other lowly causes like bee stings.
Some dramas contain a lot of fighting, like gangsters beating their subordinates or girls cat fighting...and it is so true that they only like to use the open hand beatdown. Why not the elbow or the closed fist?

fayenatic

Post by fayenatic » Jul 24th, '04, 19:00

beer wrote:A general rule also seems to be that the young female lead at least once during the series gets drunk beyond imagination.
haha ,YES!! even though they know that they cant drink at all, they always get pissed arse drunk at the end! :w00t:

philly

Post by philly » Jul 24th, '04, 19:05

When the main character's pissed: SLAP. Unsatisfied? Slap. Fighting? Slap. Seeking revenge? Slap. [insert random emotion]? Slap.
cracked me up :blink :unsure: :lol so true yet so fun to watch anyway :P :) [/quote]

anh_thanh

Post by anh_thanh » Jul 24th, '04, 20:04

K dramas are like this cuz most koreans like this kinda concept and can't get enough with it u noes,, ikt like english comedy series it fallows teh same concetpt , it always abt a fuk up family

leeunit

Post by leeunit » Jul 24th, '04, 22:17

Don't forget that ALL dramas have to have a torrential downpour in there somewhere and it usually involves one of the main characters sitting all night through the rain waiting for their love and then they get sick the next day.

Can't be a Kdrama without a hurricane.

BT-Slut

Re: cheesy

Post by BT-Slut » Jul 24th, '04, 23:04

dofuagedashi wrote:Man, those are exactly the reasons why I don't watch K-dramas at all. I think they're so cheesy and soap-opera-ish. Plus, they're usually 20 something episodes, which is too long for my taste.
So true. Exactly the same reasons I can't really stand Korean dramas either. One could even argue the same for Japanese dramas, but at the very least, they're normally 9-11 eps and so much faster to get through.

But Korean films have actually impressed me a lot more than I originally would have imagined. For something completely different and so much better than the standard k-drama crap, watch Take Care of My Cat--a K film by a female director. It's so good. No pretentious rich guy crap with a US degree. It's an all Korean female cast depicting characters with humble roots--no college eduction. It's a wonderful film that much more accurately portrays the various realities of young adulthood in modern day Korea. It might be a little slow with no action, but it's my all time favorite Korean film.
Last edited by BT-Slut on Jul 24th, '04, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Jul 24th, '04, 23:31

Forgot about that point about so many dramas. How many people get so sick that they're fainting or on death's doorstep just because they were out in the rain? Adds drama, but damn, AIDs patients have better immune systems than that!

Thinking about it though, I guess it depends on why you watch what you watch in the first place. Some people like shows that more accurately depict "real life", BT, I assume you're one like this. Some people watch to get away from their own world a little. I guess most people want a little of both. It is neccessary to practice the "suspension of disbelief" theory to truly enjoy many of these dramas. So many chance occurrences and crazy plot developments and all. After watching someone else's earth-shattering problems, real life don't seem quite so bad, y'know?

leeunit

Post by leeunit » Jul 24th, '04, 23:38

HAHA "earth-shattering problems"

stephy

Post by stephy » Jul 26th, '04, 16:56

that's so true!

zdoon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by zdoon » Jul 27th, '04, 17:37

Every genre of entertainment has its bag of cliches. Anime has its cliches, Hollywood has its cliches.
Last edited by zdoon on Dec 27th, '04, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Jul 27th, '04, 17:58

oh yeah, i feel always lucky watching a cancer-free kdrama. :lol

starlitedr3amer

Post by starlitedr3amer » Jul 27th, '04, 21:20

LOL...that is SO true. Sadly enough there are tons of drama I bet we all can name that fit into those categories.

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Jul 27th, '04, 21:29

MoerkJ wrote:oh yeah, i feel always lucky watching a cancer-free kdrama. :lol
There's a cancer-free K-drama? Oh yeah, Attic Cat, Loving You and, and? Oh yeah, Romance... :D (Propose doesn't count because almost noone watched it!) (I liked it though. Must be addicted...)

Still, Korea must be the bone marrow transplant capitol of the world....

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Jul 30th, '04, 17:44

aNToK wrote:There's a cancer-free K-drama? Oh yeah, Attic Cat, Loving You and, and? Oh yeah, Romance... :D (Propose doesn't count because almost noone watched it!) (I liked it though. Must be addicted...)

Still, Korea must be the bone marrow transplant capitol of the world....
Sweet 18, Bright Girl... and frankly, can't remember much else. The only cancer-free kdramas are comedic kdramas. :| Though recently, it seems that korean entertainment has moved off this base and started producing kdramas without diseases! :O It seems like all of the "classics" or older dramas revolve around cancer, but I can't think of too many recent ones that have included that stereotype. Perhaps my brain just went on vacation or something, but it's drawing a blank!

It might be too early to say, but I think Thousand Years of Love might go disease-free too. I really can't see Sung Yuri waddling around, "dying" because her blood cells have exploded from traveling 1000 years into the future. :lol

I'm happy to see that there's some variation recently. ^_____^ I was about to give up on kdramas because I was just tired of the disease story, but Sweet 18 restored my faith! :)

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Jul 30th, '04, 20:33

Hmm.. Sung Yuri, a thousand years in the future....

OK, got it! Since she's a thousand years from the past, she doesn't have the antibodies that humans have developed over time to deal with the little ailments, etc that have cropped up in the last 1000 years, so the common cold or something could be potentially deadly to her. Or she can become deathly ill because her body hasn't evoloved like the rest of us to adapt to substances like plastics and pollution, so over time exposure to these substances exposes her to carcinogens, etc. that she can't deal with, while doctors try to find the reason for her body not responding the way it should. Or maybe her life-force is naturally tied to her home land and time like Captain Britain. And have we seen a study on the carcinogenic effects of time travel on the body? See? They can stil make a Commmandment-bound K-series out of this yet!!! Although I dearly hope not!!)

fayenatic

Post by fayenatic » Jul 31st, '04, 00:12

no, but she could become blind from some horrible car accident. :lol

jlove1831

Post by jlove1831 » Aug 5th, '04, 19:46

So stereotypical and cliche, yet so true! I used to really like the really dramatic ones, but it's kind of boring now. So you see break-ups, deaths, and crying and throw up your hands and go, "Oh, that's so old!" I like comedies more, they keep me entertained longer.

zdoon -- You're right about the same actresses for the ajummahs! Although I'm used to seeing them as the mother, whenever I see them, I go "Oh man, not you again!?"

Keius

Post by Keius » Aug 6th, '04, 10:45

I think these cliches have gotten way too old.
They really need to experiment and take some more
chances in the plots.
The same can be said for jdramas though...jdramas has its
own list of top 10's(very similar to kdrama list) :glare:

I think after yrs of watching asian dramas...i've gotten sorta numb
towards most of it. I trie'd watching Bright Girl's Success(jang nara), thousand yrs of love(sung yuri), and Loving You(yoojin) recently and
only managed a couple episodes of each.....
I could already see where everything was going.
Lover in Paris...just watched episode 1....This was the only time
i stopped watching cuz the French being spoken had me grimacing every couple seconds.
And i'm not even French(only dl'ed cuz i'm a fan of the main actress...those doe eyes
are just so adorable in her movies) :P

The only recent kdrama i've managed to finish recently was sweet 18. Watched it cuz
someone told me it was actually funny and had a happy ending. Gotta admit....i enjoyed this one....a bit different from the usual fare(still had prob at least half of the commandments though :roll )

I do have to admit that for the most part...i do agree with some of the other posters that
korean movies seem better than korean dramas. Or perhaps i should say that there
are more surprises to the movies.

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Dec 27th, '04, 11:11

ahhahahhahahhaha~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so true...so true...sooo veryyyyyyyyy true!!!!!!

i wouldn't have found this thread if MoerkJ didn't mention in another thread....holy...muahah. too funny~ :lol

cat421

Post by cat421 » Dec 27th, '04, 15:16

Don't forget the slipping of money in a white envelope by the rich guy's family (usually the mom) to the poor girl to try to get her to stay away from rich guy...in which the girl never accepts.
Or the rich guy's mom is usually best friends with the Evil Girl and want her son to marry her. Another thing is that I think the Evil Girl's evil expressions are SO obvious, but the rich guy is completely oblivious (even when it's done right next to him) and the poor girl is not much smarter, b/c she usually gets tricked by Evil Girl. :glare:

mscheerios

Post by mscheerios » Dec 27th, '04, 18:49

This is only too funny. Though yet another series that breaks commandment 7 is Full House, but than again, it is a comedy, and as someone said earlier, comedies seem to not have the whole cancer thing. It seems that there are now seems to be two genres that Kdramas can follow: comedies and tragic, soppy love dramas. (Which is why my friend and I now alternate between the two generes so we don't get sick of the one format.)
Did anyone else not see the parallels between Full House and Attic Cat? The whole packing up and leaving thing, the "evil" girl starting out liking one guy but switching halfway through, the main actress working for the other guy who loves her but she doesn't love, the main actress using the other guy to make the main actor jealous, the doting grandmother.... the comparisons can go on forever.
Also... in general, there is the whole shoulder push against one guy against the other as he leaves due to a personal "victory" over the other guy. And there is the same pissed off look the girl gets on her face with the whole "pish" sound she makes that all Korean actresses seem to have mastered.
But hey, you gotta love them kdramas!

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Dec 27th, '04, 19:11

Hmm... forgot about this thread!

Kdramas seem to follow some of the same lines Shakespeare's plays: Comedies end in multiple marriages, and Tragedies end in multiple deaths (though in Kdramas, we often don't get to see the marriages. Endings are often a little too anticlimatic)

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » Dec 27th, '04, 19:48

I noticed a lot of times that people get so bombed while depressed that they can't stand up and are slurring, then 5 minutes later they are sober and able to walk and talk normally again. :roll

aziatik

you Forgot!!

Post by aziatik » Dec 30th, '04, 19:09

The Drive-by or Walk-by scene, Where no matter how cloes they are to each other they don't see each other.

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Dec 30th, '04, 19:56

And of course, it's always in slow motion...

cartermariano

Post by cartermariano » Dec 30th, '04, 21:55

Ehehhe man this is great stuff! Even though i imagine who made this lost about an hour in his life, it's a really interesting research material :D. Among all that, after i watched Full House, i just couldn't be happier that the producer didn't kill Song Hye-Kyo's character from cancer..Autumn Tale was definately NOT worth watching. But like someone said, K-dramas were saved with Sweet 18.

Just a few considerations and "add's" into this "research":

I'm sure everyone already noticed. One of the characters in a kdrama always have to flee in dispair (usually America or Europe (Italy or Paris)) when things get difficult. If it's the poor girl, she's always presented with a full scholarship on some rich country. If it's the rich guy, well, he's rich so he doesn't need help to go anywhere.

But i don't know, "i must be addicted" :D, even with all these similarities in about 99% of kdramas..i still love them and i only look for that kind.

parox

footnotes

Post by parox » Dec 31st, '04, 21:53

1a) There is ALWAYS a shared childhood/teen experience that serves as the background for the main plot that unfolds.

1b) There is ALWAYS an older, less good looking, more laid back fun personality, sumbae that advises the main character on his love life.

3*) If the man has fabulous abs, the camera always takes a step back to capture all the glory while he takes a shower. Also, he always drives an export.

5*) There is always a sequence where one character barely misses meeting another character but is stopped because a) the elevator door closes b) the bus takes off c) the subway train takes off.

7*) Amnesia is also a popular illness and a source of angst and anguish, with the person ALWAYS recovering to vindicate past wrongs. And not just cancer, but ANY illness whose symptoms include nose bleeding and blood coughing is also very popular, e.g. TB.

10*) Usually there is a token Westerner that is fluent in Korean, much to the surprise and shame to the audience, as if to say, "Hey I learned your damn language...why can't you speak English as well as I speak Korean?" And when there is a crowd of Westerners around, there is always that awkward congratulatory clapping that NEVER occurs in real life.

jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jaycee05 » Jan 3rd, '05, 02:09

The piggy-back ride...
almost every kdrama has the male lead giving the female lead a piggy back ride...after fainting, or getting drunk, falling asleep....etc
But most of the time, it's a casual walk during the night whispering sweet-nothings to each other....
Why couldnt they carry them the normal way, with hands underneath the back and knees during accidents? I know it's less work/effort(unscientifically speaking), and they could injure the character more while getting into the piggy-back position.

BT-Slut

Post by BT-Slut » Jan 3rd, '05, 02:44

mscheerios wrote:This is only too funny. Though yet another series that breaks commandment 7 is Full House, but than again, it is a comedy, and as someone said earlier, comedies seem to not have the whole cancer thing. It seems that there are now seems to be two genres that Kdramas can follow: comedies and tragic, soppy love dramas. (Which is why my friend and I now alternate between the two generes so we don't get sick of the one format.)
This is what I don't get. What is this farse about "comedy" in a drama series? If it's a comedy, then it falls under a comedy series. It's not a drama series then. We call these dramas don't we? K-dramas and J-dramas. This is part of the reason I don't care for K-comedy series, because they aren't even real dramas. There's nothing endearing about these silly characters. Full House is a great example. Except for the fact that I do adore KPC, all the characters could have died in the last episode and I couldn't have cared less. There was nothing endearing about the characters. Again, except for the fact that KPC is really pretty and I'd like to meet her in person, I would never care to meet any of the four main characters in Full House. That's not drama. And certainly not good drama. Good drama creates enduring characters that we'd all admire and would want to meet in real life. These K-comedies are just full of teen-idols who look great but have such shallow and stupid characters that one would never care for them if they were replaced by some ugly actor/actress.

hst

Late Reaction to the Ten Commandments of K-drama

Post by hst » Jan 17th, '05, 14:21

I have to say I laughed my heart out when I read this thread! :lol I was feeling kinda sad about the ending of Lover's in Paris and was quite ready to give up on K-dramas and the uncertainty of their endings :x but this thread reminded me why I loved k-dramas--- that it shouldn't all depend on the ending --- I mean really, the slapping is hilarious and the "Against All Odds" love affairs are highly unrealistic but entertaining nonetheless... I would also like to point out that Another common theme of K-dramas are the EXTREMELY LONG SHOTS sometimes lasting about 5 minutes where the Main Characters are crying alone and the theme song is playing --- really no drama would be complete without these important scenes. :P BTW any recommendations on k-dramas with happy endings??? Thanks :mrgreen:

JiaYi

Post by JiaYi » Jan 18th, '05, 04:52

[quote="BT-Slut"][quote="mscheerios"]This is only too funny. Though yet another series that breaks commandment 7 is Full House, but than again, it is a comedy, and as someone said earlier, comedies seem to not have the whole cancer thing. It seems that there are now seems to be two genres that Kdramas can follow: comedies and tragic, soppy love dramas. (Which is why my friend and I now alternate between the two generes so we don't get sick of the one format.) [/quote]

This is what I don't get. What is this farse about "comedy" in a drama series? If it's a comedy, then it falls under a comedy series. It's not a drama series then. We call these dramas don't we? K-dramas and J-dramas. This is part of the reason I don't care for K-comedy series, because they aren't even real dramas. There's nothing endearing about these silly characters. Full House is a great example. Except for the fact that I do adore KPC, all the characters could have died in the last episode and I couldn't have cared less. There was nothing endearing about the characters. Again, except for the fact that KPC is really pretty and I'd like to meet her in person, I would never care to meet any of the four main characters in Full House. That's not drama. And certainly not good drama. Good drama creates enduring characters that we'd all admire and would want to meet in real life. These K-comedies are just full of teen-idols who look great but have such shallow and stupid characters that one would never care for them if they were replaced by some ugly actor/actress.[/quote]

Whoa... a bit harsh there BT-Slut ^_^; What's so wrong about over generalizing things? It makes things easier -- and besides, who would go around screaming "I love K-comedy series!!" that's just a bit strange :| Comedy is just a genre under dramas afterall. Same idea with the whole over generalizing of K-pop and J-pop -- it includes tons of different styles, such as R&B, rap, hip-hop, etc.

Anyhow, I don't know what you're talking about ^_^ I enjoyed Full House, and although you don't grow a serious attachment to the characters, I thought at the least you would grow a slight fondness to them and understand their situation. It was a bit subdued though. And besides, Full House was meant to be a fun drama -- nothing to be taken too seriously. If you think about it, that usually happens with most comedies anyhow.

Hm... another drama that breaks the whole idea that someone has to die by an illness would be Gumiho, Stained Glass, and Damo ^_^

hst: Happy endings? Hm... Attic Cat, Full House, Winter Sonata, Sweet 18, and I *think* My Love Patzzi and Bright Girl... although I haven't had time recently to finish watching them yet ^_^;

Sassy Man

Post by Sassy Man » Jan 18th, '05, 06:12

my life is a kdrama....without the prety girls.

Where are you may sassy chick?

cat421

Post by cat421 » Jan 18th, '05, 06:31

Sassy Man wrote:my life is a kdrama....without the prety girls.

Where are you may sassy chick?
HaHaHa! :lol Sassy Man and Sassy Woman!

nikeg

Post by nikeg » Jan 19th, '05, 13:00

OMG I couldnt stop laughing after readin #9 SLAPPING LOL! Everything is so true yet everything is still so addicting... its amazing... i have to say the hot actresses have an effect too but overall seriously the plots hardly ever change and yet each one is addicting in its own way

Chynkinese

Post by Chynkinese » Jan 20th, '05, 03:11

Add this one:

No matter how rich or famous the main character is...s/he never owns a washring machine

zdoon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by zdoon » Jan 20th, '05, 03:38

Here's a tiny one:

Blur out brand logos like "Coca Cola," "BMW" or "Korean Air" for like 1 second and then stop blurring it out for two seconds thus revealing logo and confusing viewers.

zdoon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by zdoon » Jan 21st, '05, 08:58

Here's another tiny one:

Everyone always drinks. But no one ever smokes.

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Jan 21st, '05, 14:33

zdoon wrote:Here's another tiny one:

Everyone always drinks. But no one ever smokes.
In some of the older dramas (by older, I mean the ones produced 3-4 years ago) a lot of the male leads used to smoke. In fact, I remember someone once making a comment that they couldn't a find a drama where one of the lead guys did not smoke when he was depressed!

zdoon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by zdoon » Jan 22nd, '05, 01:34

Yeah, I'm sure on scrutiny it's not true but as far as my viewings go, I can't recall an instance of any of the main characteres having a "marlboro man" moment and getting stoked. :lol

washi

Post by washi » Jan 22nd, '05, 01:59

no matter what time it is or how many of them there are in the building-- the main characters will always run into each other at or share the same elevator cab.

oohimemiyaoo

Post by oohimemiyaoo » Jan 23rd, '05, 13:35

It's funny because the other day in my livejournal I was writiing about the kind of cliches that happen in Korean Dramas.

I dunno why but I still enjoy seeing the koreand dramas. The only drama didn't really was that into with the cliche was Summer Scent. I don't know what it was about it cause I usually eat that stuff up like a fat man at a free all you can eat bar. But alas I really was not into it. I think because the show went really slow. Like extremely so. And it was never ever really happy.

But usually if the guy is really hot he has a shower scene now a days. I've been noticing that in the recent dramas.

The only drama I know that didn't follow a rich guy formula per say was Ruler of your world. The girl was rich but he father hated her. The guy was a con and the other guy who likes her seems well off but not rich. And the lead man I don't find attractive at all. But at least there is cancer in the male to make up for all that =D

raynebow

Post by raynebow » Jan 25th, '05, 21:46

lol thats great and so true! Nice observations. haha.

fayenatic

Post by fayenatic » Jan 29th, '05, 08:28

lets not forget when theres always a scene where the "evil" girl rolls her eyes 10,000 times and acts like the victim and that everything the ingenue is saying is all BS. hah. im watching The Last Dance is With Me and Im reminded of that. lols.

Olga_2005

Post by Olga_2005 » Jan 29th, '05, 08:56

fayenatic LLOOLL :lol It's 3:30 am and I started laughing so hard while reading this my mom had to come in and tell me to be quiet -_-" ... ~
Well, I only started watching my first ever K Drama "Love Letter" , and it seems to have a more or less poor guy (but who knows, maybe he'll discover that his parents used to own a company and he'll decided to get it back! ) and the girl seemed to have a rich mother (but then again, maybe she'll loose all her money!), but anyways, maybe it's an exception compairing to the other K Dramas...

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » Jan 29th, '05, 09:28

^I just finished Love Letter today. ::sighs:: I'll keep my mouth shut. I liked it but I really preferred it not to go in the direction it did. I don't regret watching it and did enjoy it a lot, but I'd definitely make some changes if it were up to me. :P

As I stated before about people getting drunk and then suddenly being sober enough to drive, run, walk, and talk....oh god it really is more common than I thought. Someone needs to fix that, LOL. Either that or share the magic formula. :lol

mtlandis

Post by mtlandis » Jan 29th, '05, 09:40

On the Yahoo Group I run, we came up with a similar list a few months back. Here it is.....

(Please note: No Offense is meant towards Korea and its people. This list was done "tongue in cheek")

1. Love and marriage are mutually exclusive things. (i.e., it is ok to get married without loving someone).

2. The nice, reliable, steadfast guy always loses the girl.

3. Self sacrifice is a national pasttime - much like baseball is here (in US).

4. One of your parents is always going to hate the mate you have chosen and will do just about anything to break you apart.

5. Your other parent is going to side with you and spend a lot of time trying to help you two stay together.

6. Angry words are soon forgiven and forgotten.

7. Anything is excusable as long as you were drunk when you did it.

8. A young couple can spend the night alone in a motel room and nothing will happen. AND their relatives will believe that nothing happened.

9. Saying you feel sorry for someone seems to be a good thing.

10. Saying someone is pathetic is not a bad thing.

11. Men are not supposed to help with housework or cooking.

12. Employers are very considerate when you need to run out of work to take care of a personal problem.

13. Sleeping with someone other than your significant other is not a big thing (especially if you are drunk).

14. Getting drunk solves most of your problems.

15. Don't cross the street against the light. You will get run over and no one will stop to help you.

16. The F-words is for the lower (uneducated) classes.

17. Even the meanest b**ch can become nice with enough love and attention.

18. It is OK to stalk someone you care about even if they don't like you.

19. You can make someone love you simply by stalking them.

20. You can force anyone to see your point of view if you kneel in front of them long enough.

21. A clear IV will cure you of just about any disease.

22. Whenever you run from someone, you can always get a taxi. Taxis are always there when needed.

23. Actresses always dress well no matter how poor they are.

24. Leading actors and actresses have very few freinds, usually one.

25. Men's father always have high blood problem.

26. Personal assistants are very able people; they can do anything.

27. While driving, they always make U-turn when they think something important.

28. People are always hit by a truck, and its driver does not break and just keep honking.

29. When going to an emergency room, Korean doctors say "OMG, it was a close call. If he/she come here just a minute late..."

30 . When the leading actor is in despair, he turn on shower with clothes on and try to look cool.

31. There are always green onions in a shopping bag when they do grocery shopping.

32. Everyone - no matter how poor - has a cell phone. These cell phones are top of the line camera phones with the latest technology.

I hope everyone gets a giggle out of this list. :D

zdoon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by zdoon » Jan 29th, '05, 10:36

Olga_2005 wrote:fayenatic LLOOLL :lol It's 3:30 am and I started laughing so hard while reading this my mom had to come in and tell me to be quiet -_-" ... ~
Well, I only started watching my first ever K Drama "Love Letter" , and it seems to have a more or less poor guy (but who knows, maybe he'll discover that his parents used to own a company and he'll decided to get it back! ) and the girl seemed to have a rich mother (but then again, maybe she'll loose all her money!), but anyways, maybe it's an exception compairing to the other K Dramas...
Love Letter is definitely a 10 commandment type K drama and it drags like crazy toward the end. It doesn't make for a good intro to K drama, imo. I'd watch K comedies like Full House instead. :P

Here's another clause:

Characters who get caught in the rain for any period of time must instantly become bedridden sick. :lol

fayenatic

Post by fayenatic » Jan 29th, '05, 19:48

definiely the cellfone bit!!
Poor girl complains about how POOR she is and then whips out her cellfone to call her mother - its like "wait, arent u suppose to be POOR??"

jyoji

Post by jyoji » Jan 30th, '05, 07:51

hahaa... this thread is so funny.
Also notice that no matter whether they just wake up from bed, out from the shower or sleeping at night, etc, all the girls in kdrama tend to be in full makeup~~ :P

Olga_2005

Post by Olga_2005 » Jan 30th, '05, 23:38

zdoon wrote:Love Letter is definitely a 10 commandment type K drama and it drags like crazy toward the end. It doesn't make for a good intro to K drama, imo. I'd watch K comedies like Full House instead. :P
Oh, I'd love to watch a comedy! After Love Letter I'll get my hands on Full House!

jyoji wrote:hahaa... this thread is so funny.
Also notice that no matter whether they just wake up from bed, out from the shower or sleeping at night, etc, all the girls in kdrama tend to be in full makeup~~ :P
Hey, but that doesn't happens only in K Dramas! LOL

fayenatic

Post by fayenatic » Jan 31st, '05, 01:33

another one:

whenever something "catastropic" happens, the abaoji ALWAYS gets a heart attack or stroke. I mean wtf? Do ALL elder korean men have heart problems???

jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jaycee05 » Jan 31st, '05, 06:36

fayenatic wrote:definiely the cellfone bit!!
Poor girl complains about how POOR she is and then whips out her cellfone to call her mother - its like "wait, arent u suppose to be POOR??"
hehe, yes!! I've been wondering about that too...coz the soaps in my country...when the girl is poor, u can really see how poor she is, just by looking at the clothes she wears(or not wear :P )...
but kdrama, eg. what happened in bali...they live in a squatter area...but their wardrobe is a lot better than mine :lol

well, someone posted that "it doesnt matter how much u have in ur bank account, physical appearance is important in korea, or else they'll ignore u" or something like that...i forgot and dont know if there's any truth in it...

koolbr33z3

Post by koolbr33z3 » Feb 1st, '05, 03:58

Wow, this is an awesome thread! My sides were literally splitting from all the laughter. Anyway, I've got one that I don't think anyone mentioned yet.

Tthere is always one or more fainting scenes in the majority of the korean series that I've watched. It's inconceivable that fainting means that the person is dying and needs to be rushed to the ER to be plugged up with IVs and heart monitors. That one takes the cake for me because it makes no sense. I mean, there is always a female character (usually a mother or the main actress) who faints and it get blown way out of proportion. Jeez, just let the girl regain conciousness. It takes only a few seconds or a few minutes for oxygenated blood to circulate to the brain. By the time the fainter regains conciousness, there would not be enough time to finish the conversation with 911. On top of that, the chick is just feigning the whole scene half of the time anyway....

Dahee Fanel

Post by Dahee Fanel » Feb 2nd, '05, 14:15

I totally agree about the fainting thing. Someone, usually the mother or the heroine, always gets sick/faints, and the main male character rushes her to the hospital on his back. Are all illnesses so serious that you have to go to the hospital for every little thing? Even nose bleeds (although, granted, nose bleeds in dramas are usually a sign of leukemia, so their concern is understandable).

I have to agree with whoever said that more recent dramas are getting away from these stereotypes, however. One example is "I'm Sorry, I Love You"...the main guy character is POOR, and none of the characters are really angelic or evil...I found that rather refreshing. Plus...NO CANCER! *gasp*

SPOILERS: Okay, so car accidents and heart problems happened later on, but still, you have to give them credit for trying...

Dahee Fanel

Post by Dahee Fanel » Feb 2nd, '05, 14:16

EDIT: Ack, double post!
Last edited by Dahee Fanel on Feb 9th, '05, 05:11, edited 1 time in total.

mallorn

Post by mallorn » Feb 4th, '05, 02:51

LOL! Those 10 Commandments are so true.... I've seen enough of rich President/ Managing Director guys who fall in love with poor girls who have impossibly beautiful wardrobes and nice cellphones who get amnesia/cancer all while the guys' families try to marry them off to an rich evil girl.... :D

TheBombastic1

Post by TheBombastic1 » Feb 4th, '05, 03:06

definiely the cellfone bit!!
Maybe that's why the poor characters remain poor... splurging on things like the latest, top-of-the-line cell phones even though its probably outside their means

On the other hand....
And even though its a huge-ass house, they never have a A/C machine (The Korean type that's shaped like a refrigerator) in the middle of summer…..

AND THE RICHER THEY ARE, THE LESS LIKELY ARE THEY TO HAVE TELEVISIONS.
No matter how rich or famous the main character is...s/he never owns a washring machine
Maybe that's how the rich characters remain rich.... saving their money rather than blowing their money on things deemed luxury items.

TheBombastic1

Post by TheBombastic1 » Feb 4th, '05, 07:08

Also thought of another commandment, don't recall if it's been mentioned yet.

As soon as the love triangle develops, there must be a scene in which two of the characters meet at night in front of one of their house, and unknownst to them the third leg of the love triangle is nearby, witnessing it all hidden to the other two.

TyRiKe

Post by TyRiKe » Feb 9th, '05, 00:26

haha the car accidents

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » Feb 10th, '05, 03:02

TheBombastic1 wrote:Also thought of another commandment, don't recall if it's been mentioned yet.

As soon as the love triangle develops, there must be a scene in which two of the characters meet at night in front of one of their house, and unknownst to them the third leg of the love triangle is nearby, witnessing it all hidden to the other two.
:lol I know! This was the case in almost every episode of "What Happened in Bali"! After awhile I just kept wondering if it would ever occur to them to check the area. :mrgreen:

cartermariano

Post by cartermariano » Feb 10th, '05, 03:12

Eheheh man this thread is great! Ever growing and always fun!

Well, i think i have a new "commandment". This is a little weak, but did someone ever noticed how much the characters worry about meals? Lately i've been watching Love Letter, when this also appeared. ie: when a character loves another, and one of them have to go away (specially when they find out their love can't happen) the characters last words are more like "Try not to skip meals" or something. Or when a mother is concerned about her son/daughter. This person could have millions of possibilities of deseases/accidents in his/her new life, but they better not skip any meals :D

theedqueen

Post by theedqueen » Feb 10th, '05, 04:17

cartermariano wrote:Eheheh man this thread is great! Ever growing and always fun!

Well, i think i have a new "commandment". This is a little weak, but did someone ever noticed how much the characters worry about meals? Lately i've been watching Love Letter, when this also appeared. ie: when a character loves another, and one of them have to go away (specially when they find out their love can't happen) the characters last words are more like "Try not to skip meals" or something. Or when a mother is concerned about her son/daughter. This person could have millions of possibilities of deseases/accidents in his/her new life, but they better not skip any meals :D
It's probably because they're _always_ eating. Have any of you ever noticed how much food they consume in these shows? In I'm sorry, I love you, the characters would always be eating cookies, or hot buns, or noodles, or whatever. In full house, all Ji-eun ever did with Moo-hyuk was go out and eat. And a lot of the times when Ji-eun and Young-jae met, she would ask him if he ate dinner yet. Also happens in Sweet18. Jung-sook asked Hyuk-joon about his meals a lot.

zdoon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by zdoon » Feb 10th, '05, 04:23

cartermariano wrote:Eheheh man this thread is great! Ever growing and always fun!

That's definitely Korean culture. If you had a Korean mom or grandmom constantly askig you if you've eaten or not, then you'd understand. ^__^ I've come to see the truth to their wisdom too: Miss meals and health and overall well being go down. This is why I appreciate good cooks. :wub: