The Sweet Spy: Dennis Oh Can't Act!!!

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
Darkdrakan

The Sweet Spy: Dennis Oh Can't Act!!!

Post by Darkdrakan » Mar 22nd, '06, 23:03

I dunno if anyone else feels the same way I do but the guy just can't get into character. I guess it might be because he can't speak Korean but Daniel Henney(sp?) in Kim Sam Soon didn't either and he was a way better actor than Dennis Oh. Granted he's pretty good looking but quality people! QUALITY!!!

bbleticia

Post by bbleticia » Mar 23rd, '06, 00:29

i think dennis oh is a lil awkward in the drama since he doesnt speak any korean at all but he seems to understand it, everybody speaks korean to him but he ends up replyin in english.... just a lil weird but he is very cute...

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Mar 23rd, '06, 02:45

but he's good eye candy :)

sook

Post by sook » Mar 23rd, '06, 03:02

no kidding!!
this guy is soooo bad. but really cute. i think he should choose me instead..at least i speak english. :P

elynchan

Post by elynchan » Mar 23rd, '06, 04:52

No way.. I'm totally captivated by him... ahh... simply loved him and wished for a second I was sun ae :wub: LOL...

chitato_80

Post by chitato_80 » Mar 23rd, '06, 04:55

just finished The Sweet Spy last night .. I thought he was okay for a first timer hehe he will get better..

but i find it doesn't make much sense for him to speak English the whole time while people are speaking Korean to him :p

krafty

Post by krafty » Mar 23rd, '06, 04:55

haha .. yeah he seriously lacks in the acting department... kinda disliked him in Sweet Spy.. his acting was so bad, had a really hard time watching him on the show, his whole speking english while listening to korean made the his character very unrealistic... at least his looks compensate for his terrible acting :-)

neokenzo

Post by neokenzo » Mar 23rd, '06, 05:00

I think its the fact that he had to speak english and thus making it a lot ackward. Most of the lines are too cheesy anyways :D

SkyyBlue

Post by SkyyBlue » Mar 23rd, '06, 08:51

Yeah seriously.... he can't act worth a @#$!

Eye Candy... yeah I can understand that cause I'm a guy. :P

But since I'm a guy, give me a break.... get him into an acting class or something :glare:

Sunshine_36

Post by Sunshine_36 » Mar 23rd, '06, 21:03

Don't insult him or talk the bad way to him! I love him lol and I will always support him :D. He's alright for a first timer and he's the only one that can kiss prefectly lol :P :D. I think he's nevervous because there was an interview and he told that he was nervous himself and acting was hard for him .... but I will support him throughout so don't talk to him like that :D.

knuts

Post by knuts » Mar 25th, '06, 09:28

Frankly speaking, I don't understand how he got such a big role for a first time. Aren't they suppose to start with something small and build up?

What I also don't understand is why he also kept speaking English, while he was supposed to understand, read and write Korean. As a spy, would it not be more likely if he could speak Korean fluently as well?

But the girl made up for all of it. She is sooo dxxx cute and adorable, a second Lee Dae Hee, I would say.

dramaFreak

Post by dramaFreak » Mar 25th, '06, 09:51

well i have to agree that he can't really act, but he is sooo good looking :wub: ^^ . Anyway this is his first time acting in a movie and hopefully he will improve his acting career. :cheers: :wub:

neokenzo

Post by neokenzo » Mar 25th, '06, 10:10

Thats one very long avatar you have there dramaFreak :p :lol:

cianny
Location: Move to Blue Island used to live in Dreaming Forest ^o^

Post by cianny » Mar 28th, '06, 23:56

I don't understand why everyone feels it's so unrealistic for him to keep speaking english while he was supposed to understand korean. I was actually like that, I can understand chinese because my parents speak chinese almost all the time (plus I'm good at guessing the meaning based on the context) but whenever they ask me something I always reply back in language that I am most comfortable speaking in. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I don't understand Korean so I cannot be annoyed by Dennis' accent if he speaks Korean in the drama, but won't Korean-speaking people be annoyed? I watched 1 episode of Love Story in Harvard and I had to stop because they speak english almost all the time and they hurt my ears. Horrible english. Likewise, in spring waltz the girl with glasses also say a long line of english that doesn't sound good at all. Annoyed the hell out of me. Short sentences are okay but long sentences ...... :pale:
Note: I'm referring to drama not everyday life.
Last edited by cianny on Mar 29th, '06, 03:32, edited 1 time in total.

hacksign

Post by hacksign » Mar 29th, '06, 00:31

cianny wrote:I don't understand why everyone feels it's so unrealistics for him to keep speaking english while he was supposed to understand korean. I was actually like that, I can understand mandarin because my parents speak mandarin almost all the time (plus I'm good at guessing the meaning based on the context) but whenever they ask me something I always reply back in language that I am most comfortable speaking in. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
yep, me too. I am totally comfortable listening when my parents/anyone else speak in vietnamese, but I tend to reply in english. sure we could go straight one way, my parents can switch to english or I could just switch to vietnamese, but it's not that big of a deal. You'll probably only think it's unrealistic if you don't know another language cause once you've been around people who do, you tend to notice that they stick to one language more than the other.

as for his acting... I seriously think that he did a pretty decent job for his first time. For Daniel Henney, it wasn't like he was the main character in Kim Sam Soon so his acting was kinda limited. Though he acted well in the parts he did do, it was still obvious that that was his first drama. All in all, I guess I have to disagree that Dennis can't act...

diablonhn

Post by diablonhn » Mar 29th, '06, 00:51

i can't watch sweet spy because he is just horrible, why?

whenever he says a line, it just makes the show feel like something from a B, no C movie; it has no expression, feeling, and emphasis in it; the way he says it is just like he's reading from the script; heck i can put more expression into my reading than his monotonous speech; he does not pause in the right places, he does not put emphasis on the right words, he does not take his time to express the words instead of just saying them

just like some people shouldn't sing, some people shouldn't act

sejabin

Post by sejabin » Mar 29th, '06, 01:05

I haven't seen Sweet Spy but all the comments are definitely discouraging me to watch it.

He's good looking though. :wub:

junebaby

Post by junebaby » Mar 29th, '06, 01:06

AGREE TOTALLY!!!!!!!
imo, HE BASICALLY DESTROYED THE WHOLE STORY, THE WRITERS SHOULDA STICK TO CPT. KANG AS THE HERO!

chocolate615

Post by chocolate615 » Mar 29th, '06, 01:22

I think he is super hot. It doesnt matter if he cant act, it is just good looking at him, especially when he takes off his shirt. Gosh, he is so damn hooooooooot!!! :wub:

Darkdrakan

Post by Darkdrakan » Mar 31st, '06, 04:47

hacksign wrote:
cianny wrote:I don't understand why everyone feels it's so unrealistics for him to keep speaking english while he was supposed to understand korean. I was actually like that, I can understand mandarin because my parents speak mandarin almost all the time (plus I'm good at guessing the meaning based on the context) but whenever they ask me something I always reply back in language that I am most comfortable speaking in. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
yep, me too. I am totally comfortable listening when my parents/anyone else speak in vietnamese, but I tend to reply in english. sure we could go straight one way, my parents can switch to english or I could just switch to vietnamese, but it's not that big of a deal. You'll probably only think it's unrealistic if you don't know another language cause once you've been around people who do, you tend to notice that they stick to one language more than the other.

as for his acting... I seriously think that he did a pretty decent job for his first time. For Daniel Henney, it wasn't like he was the main character in Kim Sam Soon so his acting was kinda limited. Though he acted well in the parts he did do, it was still obvious that that was his first drama. All in all, I guess I have to disagree that Dennis can't act...
I know hat you're talking about since I was like that too. I spoke English while my parents spoke to me in chinese and I thought that was ok until I realized one day when I was in china I couldn't really reply in chinese when people were talking to me. Even if people in China understood English perfectly i still would have felt strange speaking english while everyone around me spoke cantonese. Since the show is set in Korea where everybody speaks Korean it was just very weird for this one guy to be speaking English where it would seem normal when you live in a place where mostly English is spoken. And yea as mentioned previously he monotonously regurgitated the script without putting any emotion into his lines. From the way he spoke, he sounded like he had no idea what the other people were saying and just said everything from memory. Personally, i felt his acting is very dry. Everytime he spoke, i cringed.

juni

Post by juni » Feb 10th, '09, 19:49

seen only 15 episodes of Dennis Oh's acting in Sweet Spy and some comments: (not necessarily conclusive in any way) :)

the guy's born with looks that don't even require him to pose when he's modelling, like some other models need to. all he needs to do is literally BE himself and the camera can capture all they need 'cos his profile and contour are fantastic from most angles. that's how it looks to outsiders like me anyways.

i think because of that, modelling is effortless for him(again, looks that way at least). whereas acting, it could be a different story altogether. His role, that uber-cool agent in Sweet Spy, further accentuated how fantastic a picture perfect model he can 'just be'.

However, and unfortunately, the character was delivered rather haphazardly imho(and i don't believe it's the language in question). In the sense that, the agent's responses(facial expressions, voice projection/control) though had to be cool and composed, came out rather like someone who's never acted before(which was exactly the case since twas his first role! so no reprimand there.), also somewhat like a teenager trying too hard to BE cool. Think K Reeves in Bill and Ted's Bogus journey. :S I know "Ted"'s supposed to be a nitwit but Reeves' acting there and in so many of his subsequent films weren't very much different, sad to say :|

On the other hand, when Dennis had to drop that uber-cool side of that agent and show the infatuated and lovesick puppy side of the character towards that sweet policewoman, he covered them all brilliantly! am guessing that's actually closer to what he is and can "be" naturally thus came out alot easier than putting on that full-on pretense of that cold front for the agent.

So the point is, he's gotta be made aware(am sure experts in the industry must have said something to him..hopefully) of this whole notion of character development whilst acting. It's not just a case of slapping on a front and getting into a mindset of the role alone. It's these PLUS balancing it with what CAN also come out naturally from the actor even if it results in the actor's usual cool composure and persona being compromised.(think how actors "grow" over a period of time like 1 to 13 yrs,to take on contrasting roles i.e. Brad Pitt in 12 Monkeys and Sleepers, DiCaprio in What's eating gilbert grape and The Departed)

unfair to make comparisons with these seasoned actors but the key thing is not so much how long they have been in the industry(though helpful), but more the awareness of what they can or not produce within their own natural ability. how they need to stretch it accordingly when necessary so as to "get into" a role, rather than just "acting out" a role. difference being when the actor gets into a role, they immerse their own self and character into the character they're portraying. whereas acting it out is a case of pretending to be someone/thing with a detachment.

If Mr Gorgeous can strike that balance(which could for some,take years to get to if not already innate, or even NEVER for some actors to date, sadly), he's gonna soar in the acting industry based not just on the exterior but also on acting ability :D

i'm eagerly anticipating and watching this space :D
ps:- now i hope dennis' hordes of fans won't come tear me apart for the comments. as a get-out-of-trouble pass, i do think he's gorgeous too btw. :D