[Movie Discussion] Saikano Live Action Movie

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
oberon

[Movie Discussion] Saikano Live Action Movie

Post by oberon » Mar 29th, '06, 08:44

there's going to be a real live action movie of the anime saikano/ saishuu heiki kanojo.

here is the trailer:

and the movie site: http://www.saikano-movie.com/

It looks really cool and the main character look really familiar, but I don't know who she is. Does anybody know.
(If there's already a topic about saikano please merge it)

Schala

Post by Schala » Mar 29th, '06, 11:30

I haven't seen the anime, but it does look somewhat interesting...

Lowest

Post by Lowest » Mar 29th, '06, 15:13

Ah, I had heard of the anime, but I've also not seen it.. it looks quite casshern like.
Shuji and Chise are two Hokkaido high school students barely starting a relationship with each other. Then, with no warning, a squadron of bombers from an unknown country destroy the city of Sapporo. All hope is lost when suddenly, the bombers are destroyed by a small red light floating across the sky. At this point, Shuji finds out that the one responsible for eliminating the enemy forces is Chise, who reveals herself as a cyborg engineered for mass-destruction.

vtx

Post by vtx » Mar 29th, '06, 17:21

The main character is aki maeda who acted as Noriko in Battle Royale.

The anime was nice and touching. Hope they can portray that in the movie version. The dvd is going to be released in june. Might order it :P

oasis

Post by oasis » Mar 29th, '06, 17:41

i'm looking forward to it, but am a bit skeptical that they will be able to capture the depth of the anime series. The anime just had that much more screen time to develop the characters and their relationships. It's been a while since I saw saikano but I recall there was a substantial amount of time devoted to side characters (?). I also felt that the ending of the anime series was really surreal, wonder if its meant to be allegorical?

Moomin

Post by Moomin » Mar 29th, '06, 17:52

^ Yeah. I am wondering how close they would follow the anime, more like if they're able to convey same mood, space and time
as the anime.
The side characters were almost as important as the main character. I think the reason why it was so moving was because the side characters were so human in this obscurely surrealistic world of Saikano. Very bittersweet. The movie looks pretty...at least the costume does...from the images (the wings specifically :P).

rubychan

Post by rubychan » Mar 30th, '06, 03:40

The main chars look cute :D, wanna see it, it's out already but havent seen it anywhere :(

oberon

Post by oberon » Mar 30th, '06, 07:51

vtx wrote:The main character is aki maeda who acted as Noriko in Battle Royale.

The anime was nice and touching. Hope they can portray that in the movie version. The dvd is going to be released in june. Might order it :P
thnx vtx :cheers:
I'm also wondering, if they will be able to capture the depths of the anime.
I really liked the anime, I hope they will do a great job.

oasis

Post by oasis » Mar 30th, '06, 12:51

did anyone see the 2 OVAs 'another love song'?

azzwipe

Post by azzwipe » Mar 30th, '06, 21:04

Does anybody know if the DVD will have English subs?

Anyway thanks for letting us know about the movie. The anime version was the first anime I ever watched so it's kinda special to me.. and the trailer looks awesome!

Wow, I'm so excited :D

Sakuya

Post by Sakuya » Jun 14th, '06, 06:34

azzwipe wrote:Does anybody know if the DVD will have English subs?
Nope, no English subtitles listed for the DVD. I guess we have to wait for a more sources. Unfortunately, this movie has gotten bad ratings on Amazon. :whistling: Shinobi (the live action movie) had similar rating scores so I would expect this to be on that level.

expo1970

Post by expo1970 » Jul 2nd, '06, 12:12

the main girl gained quite a few pounds since BR2...

i rented the movie from tsutaya the other day. i ripped the dvd but the movie just wasn't worth wasting a dvdr to keep.

i never really understood the story when i saw the animation (not that i've ever understood a japanese anime before, despite being japanese myself) so naturally, the movie made no sense to me either.

casshern is definitely higher production quality (better actors, soundtrack, producer, etc). but even casshern never made any real sense to me. so that's where my opinion comes from.

zindaka

Post by zindaka » Aug 10th, '06, 15:33

expo1970 wrote:the main girl gained quite a few pounds since BR2...

i rented the movie from tsutaya the other day. i ripped the dvd but the movie just wasn't worth wasting a dvdr to keep.

i never really understood the story when i saw the animation (not that i've ever understood a japanese anime before, despite being japanese myself) so naturally, the movie made no sense to me either.

casshern is definitely higher production quality (better actors, soundtrack, producer, etc). but even casshern never made any real sense to me. so that's where my opinion comes from.
the live action subs came out a couple weeks ago, i just finished dling it. i skimmed through the movie, and Aki maeda did gain a few pounds :goggle: shes still cute, but i like her better in BR1

lifa

Post by lifa » Aug 10th, '06, 17:45

Oh wow I didn't even know about this. But I did read the whole manga series and it was really sad. If the movie follows the manga properly, then I will be shedding tears for sure. I 'm downloading it right now!

Genmai_cha

Saikano Live Action Movie

Post by Genmai_cha » May 31st, '07, 17:35

I finally got a chance around to watch this. I have seen the anime and the live action and all I can say is that I a bit disappointed with the movie. The guy who played as “Suh-chan” is horrible in acting and to make things worst is that his face is always pale white like if he was sick or something.

What I really want to talk about is the ending. I’m a bit confused with the ending and I would like to know what you think happened.
Did he died or was he just hallucinating at the end? I think he died...

Ore.Sama

Post by Ore.Sama » Jun 2nd, '07, 08:34

well havent seen the live action coz i hated the anime... i have no idea how i was able ti watch it till the very end!!
if the movie's ending is the same as the anime's ending... then I guess that he didnt die... they were the only survivors in the whole universe<<< the most stupid ending I have even seen

Wattstax

Post by Wattstax » Jun 3rd, '07, 18:00

Why stupid ending? The Anime-Ending was great.
Loved, how everything was doomed to die. And there only Shuji survived.
In my Opinion, the ending in the movie was more open. Chise could have been the only one that died. You only see her explode and then it cuts to the desert.
But i disliked the Movie. It missed to much on the story and characters.

Kamikatze

Post by Kamikatze » Jun 4th, '07, 05:26

I was hoping for it to be good, but I guess most of the live-action versions of anime and manga just suck (take Shinobi, after seeing the anime and reading both the manga and the book I was looking forward to something great (Odagiri and Nakama sounded like a great team), but the result... yikes, horrible, many important characters were missing and then this completely cheesy, panzy-ass and drama-queen-ish Hotarubi, bleh, I don't even want to mention the end of it... that... just sucked).
(Oboro lives, WTF?!)
The exception from this would be Death Note, but that's the only one I can think of.

As for Saikano:
Right in the beginning, when Chise meets Fuyumi... that was the moment when the movie was dead for me. I was like "WTF?!", as Chise never meets her in person. And how they murdered the relationship between Tetsu and Chise, something that was so important for Chise's character-development (not to mention that I think they casted the wrong guy for Tetsu). Kanjiya Shihori was a great Akemi, or would have been, if the script would have been better, Akemi's death was ridiculous. Kanjiya can act, why did they have to axe her like this? Same for Chise, Maeda Aki's a good actress (take Linda Linda Linda, or her role as Kariya Kazumi in the Kyoto Murder Cases, or hell, Harami), but with that script, yikes... not much she can do to pull that thing out of the mud. As for Shuji... does it count that I wanted to beat him throughout the whole movie? He sucked, plain and simple. He was always whiney and annoying, but worst... when Chise downs that chopper, his reaction was completely out of character. The Shuji I know from the anime and the manga would never react like that.

I'd give it two stars out of five: the first for the school uniforms of the girls which were really cute, the second for the good chemistry between Kanjiya and Maeda (the two available making-ofs -one as part of the Japanese special edition, and the other came out when the movie hit the theaters in Japan in January 2006- were fun to watch, Kanjiya and Maeda really got along great; I'd really like to seem those two work together again).

Genmai_cha

Post by Genmai_cha » Jun 5th, '07, 18:02

Ore.Sama
I can understand how it can be the stupidest ending ever, but still I think I can understand the Artist's point of view being more realistic. It just might be that our world can really end up that way that is why I like it or maybe most men do.
Wattstax: There was no character development whatsoever in the movie. That is where I lost it...

Kamikatze

interesting enough I like the manga better than the movie here though the movie I have to agreed with you it was NOT bad at all. You think they'll have Death Note 2?
I don't think Light will ever come back since all Shinigami are women.
I didn't know they had a special edition between Kanjiya and Madeda. I will need to look into that. Thanks!