What's your ethinicity??

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.

What ethnicity are you?

Korean
4%
Filipino
9%
Japanese
3%
Japanese
3%
European
17%
Chinese
22%
Other
20%
Vietnamese
12%
Southeast Asian
9%

Total votes: 1409

AsianblueX

What's your ethinicity??

Post by AsianblueX » Aug 8th, '04, 20:06

Im just curious..... and like'd to see what happens so ANSWER THE POST honestly pls =)

Ed

Post by Ed » Aug 8th, '04, 20:17

hey! you didn't have a swiss-american answer in your poll :crazy:

:lol

AsianblueX

Post by AsianblueX » Aug 8th, '04, 20:19

:cry: sorry bout that

Ilachan

Post by Ilachan » Aug 8th, '04, 20:20

Why just French and not other European countries?? :blink

Ja neee

habukie
AiRen
AiRen

Post by habukie » Aug 8th, '04, 20:23

hmm...wondering why you have french and no other european ethnicities. i guess it does seem like quite a few people from france are on the site, but it seems to me that there's quite a few swedes, too. oh, and out of the asian groups, i believe there are quite a few vietnamese. :D anyways, not criticizing, but perhaps it would have been better to have people just write what they are, esp since there's bound to be many "others."

also, just so you know, this is in the wrong forum. :)

edit: @Ilachan, dang it! you beat me! :D

babyguh

Post by babyguh » Aug 8th, '04, 20:39

haha u got that right! u are defnitly missin vietnamese!

GhstDreamer

Post by GhstDreamer » Aug 8th, '04, 20:43

Well I'm Chinese-Canadian...

btw I don't think American is an ethnicity...lol...a nationality but defiiniitely not an ethinicity - unless maybe for a 5th generation American :P

Takez0
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Takez0 » Aug 8th, '04, 21:10

GhstDreamer wrote:Well I'm Chinese-Canadian...

btw I don't think American is an ethnicity...lol...a nationality but defiiniitely not an ethinicity - unless maybe for a 5th generation American :P
true :roll

AsianblueX

Post by AsianblueX » Aug 8th, '04, 21:26

yea.. i gotta fix this so what options should i list on the poll? any ideas thx

btw VERY SORRY for the people whos ethnicity was not listed

KLOCKIS

Post by KLOCKIS » Aug 8th, '04, 22:14

My ethnicity is HUMAN :D

Im a swede and my relative has ben for god knows how long..
An oncle did a study of our family several hundrd years back and we were still swedes so... thats me :roll

The easyest way I guess is if everybody say their ethnicity and somebody makes a list later on.. That way will nobody be leftout..

KLOCKIS:)

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Aug 8th, '04, 22:39

...removed French from the poll because it belongs to Europe, right? :lol

/me is good old european :mrgreen:

ShaolinMunky

Post by ShaolinMunky » Aug 8th, '04, 23:05

Here's an idea to make it broad as possible, which continent is YOUR enthnicity on? eh? eh? that way you only have 7 choices OR screw it and say "Which planet are you on in our general solar system?"

guenny

Post by guenny » Aug 8th, '04, 23:33

thnx for replacing french with europe :)
i don't like to be considered as "other".
and none of my relatives has origins in french.

-- guenny

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Aug 8th, '04, 23:41

there was European and French as options. XD

maybe some ppl really think the french are flying pigs from outer space... :lol :lol :lol
(not that i care)

tailchaser

Post by tailchaser » Aug 8th, '04, 23:57

I assume that all caucasian new worlders (North/South Americans, Aussies, Kiwis)would answer European, but even 3rd generation Asian Americans (the continent not the country) would answer based on the where their family is originally from. I am just wondering what "other" might be. Maybe African?

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » Aug 8th, '04, 23:58

ShaolinMunky wrote:Here's an idea to make it broad as possible, which continent is YOUR enthnicity on? eh? eh? that way you only have 7 choices OR screw it and say "Which planet are you on in our general solar system?"
People come from Antarctica now?? :lol :lol J/k!!!

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Aug 9th, '04, 00:13

AsianblueX wrote:yea.. i gotta fix this so what options should i list on the poll? any ideas thx

btw VERY SORRY for the people whos ethnicity was not listed
aaaaw, again Pacific Islander gets clumped in w/ other :cry:

:wink: it's okay....I'm a few of those on the list...but usually I just put Pacific Islanders on applications, etc. Interesting poll tho :)

Takez0
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Takez0 » Aug 9th, '04, 00:20

tailchaser wrote:I assume that all caucasian new worlders (North/South Americans, Aussies, Kiwis)would answer European, but even 3rd generation Asian Americans (the continent not the country) would answer based on the where their family is originally from. I am just wondering what "other" might be. Maybe African?
mixed?

seriously, some might be chinese/viet mixed, japanese/european, latino/european and sometimes 3 mixes or more.. the list goes on.....

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Aug 9th, '04, 00:23

AsianblueX: you've got some cojones (balls) for starting this thread. ever since the male/female poll and others, i had always wanted to start this poll, but quickly thought about what would happen if i didn't list an ethnicity. or what if people were a combination of ethnicities (most people in hawaii are).

no harm done, though. it's good that you were curious (i'm sure a lot of us were). (i notice that you don't have caucasian (or american) on your poll?) perhaps, within your answers, you should put a short explanation of what you classify these people to be. although i am asian, i feel that the poll is slightly biased toward asians. you separate filipinos, jps, chinese, kors, etc., but not caucasian races.

try this, go to the us census bureau site, and see what classifications they use. maybe that will give you a good idea of what groups to list.

hope that helps.

:)

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Aug 9th, '04, 00:24

Takez0 wrote: mixed?

seriously, some might be chinese/viet mixed, japanese/european, latino/european and sometimes 3 mixes or more.. the list goes on.....
yup yup Takez0, i'm four ethnicities...we call it mixed plate or poi dog here, those from Hawai`i may get this more than those that aren't...:P don't really care for the latter description, but aaaah...no matter :wink:

tailchaser, other could be lots of things, considering the list is general...what would you say a Hawaiian, Filipino, Okinawan, English person like my self should choose? hmmmm, other :) :D

Takez0
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Takez0 » Aug 9th, '04, 00:29

jholic wrote:AsianblueX: you've got some cojones (balls) for starting this thread. ever since the male/female poll and others, i had always wanted to start this poll, but quickly thought about what would happen if i didn't list an ethnicity. or what if people were a combination of ethnicities (most people in hawaii are).

no harm done, though. it's good that you were curious (i'm sure a lot of us were). (i notice that you don't have caucasian (or american) on your poll?) perhaps, within your answers, you should put a short explanation of what you classify these people to be. although i am asian, i feel that the poll is slightly biased toward asians. you separate filipinos, jps, chinese, kors, etc., but not caucasian races.

try this, go to the us census bureau site, and see what classifications they use. maybe that will give you a good idea of what groups to list.

hope that helps.

:)
Maybe because 90% of the people that frequent here are asian or asian ethnicity, doing a more wide range classification wouldn't fit because I think you can have only 10 options.

I'm kinda of a special case, Brazilian, with Germanic/Italian heritage, who would have guessed huh? :w00t:

kood
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kood » Aug 9th, '04, 00:30

In Biology class in high school, my teacher long taught us about the mix cauldron. Everyone in the world is no longer 1 ethnicity.

I'm 25% (1/4) Chinese and 75% (3/4) Viet (to my knowledge), so I went with the majority.

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » Aug 9th, '04, 01:36

Well, I may be caucasian, but I'm a mutt, hehehe. :lol I actually don't know all of my ancestors' ethnicities. All I know is that most of my ancestors from my mom's side have been in the U.S. since the early 1800's :crazy: I am mostly German on my mom's side, with a touch of English somewhere. Then came my great grandfather who was a Sicilian immigrant :blink My father's side, I'm not sure of much other than he has German, English, and Italian too. So...I chose European :roll

tailchaser

Post by tailchaser » Aug 9th, '04, 02:33

Well, I may be caucasian, but I'm a mutt, hehehe
Well, if you are a new world caucasian that would be the most common thing to be. All of those countries are in Europe so of course you are European. I am from Pangea, and I am a direct descendant of the Piltdown Man. I also like to think of myself as a gaikokujin.

Mardoc

Post by Mardoc » Aug 9th, '04, 02:36

Whoa, this is the first poll I've seen, in the whole of my life, that has ever listed my specific ethnicity.

Not that it's a big deal, I don't even identify with being a Filipino. I'm 75%, and the rest of me is part Irish, part American Indian. But I don't know about any of those cultures, except that the Filipino side eats rice a whole lot (and even that wasn't something my mom kept up with,lol....but god help us when we go to grandma's :lol ).

Anyhow, I'm so terribly, cheesily American - there's no hope for me! :mrgreen:

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » Aug 9th, '04, 03:01

tailchaser wrote:
Well, I may be caucasian, but I'm a mutt, hehehe
Well, if you are a new world caucasian that would be the most common thing to be. All of those countries are in Europe so of course you are European. I am from Pangea, and I am a direct descendant of the Piltdown Man. I also like to think of myself as a gaikokujin.
Yeah, all I know of is European so I chose European. But if there is a mix in there other than European, I'm unaware of it and/or can't confirm. We could not trace on my mother's side any further back than the very early 1800's, so we may have been here since before then or maybe not, LOL. But my father's side is what I'm more unsure of than anything because I can't ask him and he has no living blood relatives anymore. Someone said years back that he might have had some Native American in his blood from way back somewhere. But I don't even know if it's true and even if it is, how far back and how much. So, I'm a caucasian mutt with very little idea of my own background :P

Touya
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Touya » Aug 9th, '04, 03:04

wooo only Korean so far v(^_^)v

osora

Post by osora » Aug 9th, '04, 03:46

hmm...i'm the first black person. well sorta...i'm just a mutt honestly...i'm black/irish/welsh/native american....the list goes on. but to alot of people i look hispanic. weird, ain't it? :P

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Aug 9th, '04, 04:08

I'm like aznkoodies. 1/4 chinese, 3/4 vietnamese.

H.Saint

Post by H.Saint » Aug 9th, '04, 04:48

african american with mostly native american and caucasian roots

rooter

Post by rooter » Aug 9th, '04, 05:00

i am khmer..is anyone else on this forum khmer too ..or am i the only one? :cry: :glare:

shirahime

Post by shirahime » Aug 9th, '04, 17:55

Those who have seen what kind of torrents I posted should by now guess what ethnicity I am :mrgreen:

*hint* it's the one that's always got listed in every poll :P

cofeemee

Post by cofeemee » Aug 9th, '04, 18:49

Vietnamese

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Aug 9th, '04, 23:12

Takez0 wrote:I'm kinda of a special case, Brazilian, with Germanic/Italian heritage, who would have guessed huh?
that was my first guess. :glare:
Ruroshin wrote:I'm like aznkoodies. 1/4 chinese, 3/4 vietnamese.
:blink
no way! since you're in australia, i always thought you were australian, Ruro!

xiaryx
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by xiaryx » Aug 10th, '04, 04:14

Hmm I still dont understand why American isnt one of the choices. What happen to the native American/Latin Americans! :lol

Kai Lien
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Kai Lien » Aug 10th, '04, 04:43

I'm just Chinese. So far, Chinese has the most votes. Too bad there isn't that many c-dramas here.

lilyella

Post by lilyella » Aug 10th, '04, 05:22

I'm Filipino! i was surprised to see a few Filipinos in this board!

Tetsujin

Post by Tetsujin » Aug 10th, '04, 05:50

Korean/ European Lived in many countries across Asia and mostly europe!
wooo only Korean so far v(^_^)v
gomen touya but does half korean count?? :P

Kirosia

Post by Kirosia » Aug 16th, '04, 00:03

I'm Khmer (w/ some chinese/vietnamese/some others/ blood in me) I'm, a newbie here.

Kiminotsuki

Post by Kiminotsuki » Aug 16th, '04, 00:47

I'm half-cuban and half-american... but both of those countries have alot of different ethnicities in them. So I guess you'd say I'm a mix of alot of things. My ancestors that I know of are from various European countries.

psycho_boi

Post by psycho_boi » Aug 16th, '04, 01:34

I would vote too but I don't have enough posts to vote yet.. :glare: haha.. anywho.. I'll still take part in this poll for the fun of it.. hehe.. I'm cantonese born in canada (aka a CBC).. :P

rooter

Post by rooter » Aug 16th, '04, 02:07

Kirosia wrote:I'm Khmer (w/ some chinese/vietnamese/some others/ blood in me) I'm, a newbie here.
:w00t: oh yeah 2 khmers in the house ..woot woot :lol

MeaningOfLife

Post by MeaningOfLife » Aug 16th, '04, 02:26

There's too many Chinese in here!

(I'm one too :( )

sammyd_100

Post by sammyd_100 » Aug 16th, '04, 03:47

proud CBC - Chinese born Chinese... :D not Canadian born...lol
but I'v been in Canada for the last 60% of my life.....hint: just turned legal

thumbs up 4 chinese..... 4 the poll and 4 Olympics..

I agree there should be more tvb dramas posted here since there
is so many of us.

mznatalia

Post by mznatalia » Aug 16th, '04, 23:07

I am African-American with native american & caucasian roots

debstuh

Post by debstuh » Aug 17th, '04, 15:39

--
Last edited by debstuh on Mar 9th, '10, 07:55, edited 1 time in total.

rs200

Post by rs200 » Aug 17th, '04, 19:47

lilyella wrote:I'm Filipino! i was surprised to see a few Filipinos in this board!
Well, I'm Filipino too :D . so you're not the only one. Where are the other pinoys?

MMXZ

Post by MMXZ » Aug 18th, '04, 00:47

South American - Peruvian to be precise ~_~

SaNine

Post by SaNine » Aug 18th, '04, 00:52

Chinese Malaysian :)

topnotch97

Post by topnotch97 » Aug 23rd, '04, 06:33

aba!!!! hindi ako papayag na ako lang ang filipino dito!!!! :x

yeah, i've a fan alot of jdrama, kdrama, twdrama, and asian films like way before meteor garden made waves in the philippines.

i just freakin' hate it when people think that i'm so into dramas is beacause of meteor garden!!!

hello!!!!! jeez!!!! very annoying!!!

the only reason i got hooked up with jdramas and kdramas was because of anime and asian movies..... like my sassy girl....ooopppsss :wub:

Noodlestyle

Post by Noodlestyle » Aug 23rd, '04, 06:49

I didn't know European and South East Asian were ETHNICITIES?....whoever created this topic should go back to school and look over his/or her facts again..... :lol

posole

Post by posole » Aug 23rd, '04, 07:19

mexican ~ here ^ ^

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Aug 23rd, '04, 13:45

Noodlestyle wrote:I didn't know European and South East Asian were ETHNICITIES?....whoever created this topic should go back to school and look over his/or her facts again..... :lol
It's because there are only 8 options maximum in the poll. He couldn't list all the European and Southeast Asian countries out there... so what he did was list all the options he thought were most common in a community like d-addicts... and by the time he was finished with those, he had to generalize like crazy to cover everyone. ^___^

guenny

Post by guenny » Aug 23rd, '04, 13:53

yeah .. someone should make a poll which covers _all_ ethnic groups ^^
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_groups

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Aug 23rd, '04, 13:58

yeah, and if you're a weird mix and don't fit into the poll... you can always post your genealogical tree here as followup comment. :mrgreen:
guenny wrote:yeah .. someone should make a poll which covers _all_ ethnic groups ^^
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_groups
why do i feel always slapped with a encyclopedia when you post those wikipedia links :lol

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Aug 23rd, '04, 14:17

MoerkJ wrote:why do i feel always slapped with a encyclopedia when you post those wikipedia links :lol
lmao, I saw that video a couple months ago... I think I watched that video at least 20 times as compensation for the times I've wanted to (but couldn't) whack some of the girls in my school with a textbook for being so incredibly ditzy. :P

anneyuu

Post by anneyuu » Aug 23rd, '04, 14:59

For me is easy, just italian. So European ^^

ahochaude

Post by ahochaude » Aug 26th, '04, 21:03

The aho is Okinawan, Japanese. :D

innocent816

Post by innocent816 » Aug 26th, '04, 21:56

Chinese... :D

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Aug 26th, '04, 22:10

Blighty, born and bred (will it ever stop raining this Summer) :roll

danyowrong

Post by danyowrong » Aug 29th, '04, 03:50

chinese/japanese american.....i'll vote for chinese since my last name is chinese

babyGIRL

Post by babyGIRL » Aug 29th, '04, 04:19

I'm Hmong.

DaoMingMikai

Post by DaoMingMikai » Sep 1st, '04, 14:26

I'm Filipino. :D

SecretAznMan

Post by SecretAznMan » Sep 1st, '04, 15:15

Filipino here too. I am kinda surprised there are so few Japanese and Koreans on the forum.

peachy

Post by peachy » Sep 2nd, '04, 02:01

I am african american, cherokee native american and a little bit of irish. So like many of the other's who are 'other' I am a mixed kid. :)

aprilx3

Post by aprilx3 » Sep 2nd, '04, 02:04

filipino :P

AsianblueX

Post by AsianblueX » Sep 2nd, '04, 03:09

lol yea there's not that many koreans or japanese people here -_- this being a japanese/korean drama dl site

yea btw im filipino too =) theres a couple filipinos but mostly chinese/others

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sep 2nd, '04, 03:20

Korean :)

totuta

Post by totuta » Sep 2nd, '04, 04:34

this poll is very interesting.

I'm 100% Korean, anyway.

lorac
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by lorac » Sep 2nd, '04, 05:38

MeaningOfLife wrote:There's too many Chinese in here!

(I'm one too :( )
Well, if there are too many Chinese here why don't they volunteer to English sub some of those wonderful Chinese dramas ..... Oh, wrong board :unsure:

BTW, I'm American ... mostly of Danish descent with some French and English ... but I just think of myself as American.

lorac

GhstDreamer

Post by GhstDreamer » Sep 2nd, '04, 12:58

lorac wrote: Well, if there are too many Chinese here why don't they volunteer to English sub some of those wonderful Chinese dramas ..... Oh, wrong board :unsure:
Yes, I always wondered about that :P Maybe it's just that we figure basically only chinese people watch them - and since most of us know our own language we don't need the subbing? So really there's no point in subbing them. Of course I only understand cantonese and need the english subs for mandarin shows...lol..

Well I tried subbing an older HK series before but it didn't pan out. I was too lazy to finish even one episode. :roll

lorac
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by lorac » Sep 2nd, '04, 13:52

GhstDreamer wrote:
lorac wrote: Well, if there are too many Chinese here why don't they volunteer to English sub some of those wonderful Chinese dramas ..... Oh, wrong board :unsure:
Yes, I always wondered about that :P Maybe it's just that we figure basically only chinese people watch them
Wrong! At least I watch some them. I'd like to see some of the Huang Hai Bing series subtiled, starting with Ying Xiong. I'd also like to see My Date With a Vampire 1 & 2 subbed. I know, one's Mandarin and one is Cantonese, but it just goes to show you that a variety of Chinese dramas are appealing.

There are a lot more I'd like to see subbed, but the people who own the rights seems to think there is no market. Maybe they are right. If it wasn't for the fan subbers we would not have as many Korean dramas as we do.

It's like Taiseng not subbing Book & Sword, when the DVD release would have been a perfect opportunity. Instead they now jump on the Korean Drama bandwagon and release a Korean drama.

I'm thankful for all the D-Drama subbers, but would like to see some Chinese dramas too.

lorac

Ilachan

Post by Ilachan » Sep 2nd, '04, 15:06

Only two Italians here??? :cry:

But explain me one thing: why can't I vote? :-(

jaa neee

Juno

yioyo

Post by Juno » Sep 2nd, '04, 15:25

i chinese from singapore... yeaaaa ...currently watch :
shiroi koto seasons 2
shumi 3
at home daddy
shooping hero
minamikun koibito
tokyo wankei(till 4)
kimi wa petto( i repeat )
SiNapore Idol( cos i ever join )
hakoiri musme currently till 9 episode
You under arresst DVD
sore wa totsuzen no0 arashi you ni

Kamui6
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Kamui6 » Sep 2nd, '04, 16:15

tailchaser wrote:I assume that all caucasian new worlders (North/South Americans, Aussies, Kiwis)would answer European, but even 3rd generation Asian Americans (the continent not the country) would answer based on the where their family is originally from. I am just wondering what "other" might be. Maybe African?
i got stuck in the other category... now i really feel like a minority :lol well in this community at least. *loves drama still