possible? Good grades & watch dramas?

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
AsianblueX

possible? Good grades & watch dramas?

Post by AsianblueX » Sep 5th, '05, 20:32

has anyone in this forum able to watch mass dramas and still keep up there good grades?

its very hard... since dramas are almost 1 hr per ep =( there HAS TO BE A WAY where i can watch dramas and still maintain good grades!!

groink

Post by groink » Sep 5th, '05, 21:33

There are a bunch of polls I always wanted to put up, and this question is one of them. I can't help but think that dramas take at least some focus out of studying.

During my first four years of undergraduate studies (late 1980's), I was basically living a totally non-entertainment life. I had problems concentrating and studying in high school, so I had to shut out everything from friends, music, television, computer games, and everything else in order to keep my focus on my studies. I pulled a 3.9 GPA as a result.

I don't know how students do it today... Everyone now has a PC with Internet access, so I can't help but wonder if activities like downloading and watching dramas take away needed study time. LOL, I once had a contraversial banner that said, "Hey dad, I'm watching Asian dramas, and I'm pulling in straight C's!"

--- groink

witica

Post by witica » Sep 5th, '05, 21:50

just budget your time correctly and it becomes a piece of cake. i'm managing a 3.8gpa in college while watching tons of jdramas and dvds.

i generally use a ratio of 1.5 to 1( study to video watching). it evens out the duldrums of studying continuously and it works, you just have to remember to study and not get so wrapped up in the episode that you can concentrate on nothing but seeing the next episode.

P0KEY
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by P0KEY » Sep 5th, '05, 22:18

wow, i can`t believe this came up. this has been on my mind since the second semester that my school started last year.

i was doing awesome first semester, but second semester i got caught up on my dramas and my geometry grade was slowly slipping.

needless to say, i got an 89.5% (which the teacher would not round up nor give me a B+) my second semester and i got a 96% my first semester. but surprisingly, i got straight A`s otherwise. :blink

i`ve learned the hard way, so this year (my sophomore year) i`ve resolved to only watch on the weekends or if i`m done with my homeowork. :-)

and school`s staring tomorrow :glare: :glare: :glare:

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Sep 5th, '05, 22:26

i went to a school that never gave homework, and i've never needed to study.

i'm sure things will change once i start college.

eck, what's hard is balancing school, work (2 jobs), social life, and then introvert-time.
luckily, at one of my jobs i just watch dramas on my laptop all day. that's right, i'm being paid to slack off and watch dramas. infact, i'm at this job right now, and i'm watching sorry i love you, and checking up on d-addicts.

xiaryx
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by xiaryx » Sep 5th, '05, 22:34

:hissy: lol dont get me started.. one answer NEVER!

coming from a person with 95/100 in High school and top 5% to an embarassing college GPA.... I will change my habit this semester for sure :salut:

Advice to college freshman... dont ruin your chance of finding a job in this screwy job market... stay out while you still can! :pale:

axela

Post by axela » Sep 5th, '05, 22:51

Im at university and only recently been into Dorama, I find the large amount of work I get, watching some Dorama helps clear my mind before I go back to it.

I don't think it would affect your marks unless you are watching it ALL day.

nikeg

Post by nikeg » Sep 6th, '05, 06:46

hehehe im an arch major... wut i do is watch dramas when im making models... models take a LONGGGG time to make (countless all nighters depending on detail and size) so i just watch dramas during those periods since u dont need to see every second of a drama u can watch and work at the same time with ease... plus my grades are actually goin up... although this yr it WILL go down b/c of writing class lol

gellie_bean

Post by gellie_bean » Sep 6th, '05, 07:04

I only watch dramas during my breaks in between classes. It gives me "personal" time while I'm at school and clears my head for my next class. Well, at least it keeps me from just breaking down, giving up and going home because I'm at school all day... :P

But surprisingly, I'm kinda like nikeg.. haha, my grades are actually going UP... I started watching dramas more about a year ago, and surprisingly, my grades last semester were alot better than my grades from first semester... so who knows, go figure. Maybe if I had dramas in high school, I could've bumped myself from top 10% to top 5%.. hahaha. :lol :roll If only!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Sep 6th, '05, 10:22

geez. i had bad grades and i didn't even have dramas as an excuse. :lol

[oa.NET]Youkai

Post by [oa.NET]Youkai » Sep 6th, '05, 14:09

back then i did know NOTHING about dramas XD ( or anime )
the only thing i had was a pc ( 33mhz :D ) and some simple games... ( i got it while i was in 6 grade if i remember correctly )

i started watching anime after i was finished with scool...
,ok i still had scool 2 days a week ( in combination with my work ) but watching anime didnt do anything bad to my grades :)

and now ( watching drama :D, working and making my master's certificate @ an evening institute ) im having 2-3 days a week scool ( in the evening AFTER work and saturday´s ) and i dont have any problems with my grades....

but i never realy was the type of guy who needed to study much @ home...
i think that helps a lot ;) :mrgreen:

slashdevdsp

Post by slashdevdsp » Sep 6th, '05, 14:29

damn just started looking into the whole new world of anime and dramas, damn I am spending toomuch time watching them!! got a load of new ones just waiting for me to watch!! must resist, must resist, must resist!!!

n damn u d-addicts.com got me addicted 24/8 :p

must get back to doing some reading heh

I guess its just bad time management at this point :( :pale:

time to concentrate on my study :)

Hmm.... I am sure this thread is going to be a few pages long :)
Last edited by slashdevdsp on Sep 6th, '05, 14:55, edited 3 times in total.

lle410

Post by lle410 » Sep 6th, '05, 14:31

witica wrote:... you just have to remember to study and not get so wrapped up in the episode that you can concentrate on nothing but seeing the next episode.
Ahhhh but it's so hard!! :crazy: Haha, my personal thing is watch up a storm and then about a week before the exam comes, figure out what chapter the class is on and cram like crazy. Works out pretty well. Hahaha. Of course, this sort of thing is not new to me, I was a procrastinator even before I discover Asian dramas. :lol

orionredwing

Post by orionredwing » Sep 6th, '05, 22:27

Back in the 80s, my family was spending $hundreds renting cdrama videos. It was so addicting and we often stayed up till 2am watching. It was tough, but I was able to maintain my A avgs, mostly because we controlled the video rentals during weekdays.

However, I don't think that would be possible today. With content so readily available on the internet, I don't see how you guys can peel yourselves away. =)

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Sep 7th, '05, 01:42

eh grades don't show how smart you are just your attitude towards school.

and school sucks.

Mythrel

Post by Mythrel » Sep 7th, '05, 02:10

LOL dude you had a 333 in 6th grade... we are the same age that would have been like a top of the line computer back than. I didn't even get a computer till highschool. I don't think watching dramas would have a direct relation to your grades. Only how much time you really want to put towards school and how much personal time you want. I learnt that quick in college lol.

[oa.NET]Youkai

Post by [oa.NET]Youkai » Sep 7th, '05, 16:55

@ mythrel:
it was only 33mhz ! ( and it was ~2 years old by the time i got it ;) )

i still remember the time i worked for 6 weeks ( during summer holiday ) to earn enough money to uprage the ram :D ( 4MB EDO ram did cost me 400 DM ( ~200 euro ) back than XD )
that was a lot of money for a litley boy like me :P

and @ school:
you only need to understand how the system works and than its easy getting good grades ;)
and thats what i was good at :) ( math, chemie, physiks )
but i always had problems remembering booring / stupid stuff ( like history dates and such o_O )

TIticamara

Post by TIticamara » Sep 7th, '05, 17:19

watching jdorama with english subtitles actually helps in my english comprehension. Most the words the excellent english subber used are new to me and with very episode I learn new words.

Mythrel

Post by Mythrel » Sep 7th, '05, 17:28

:offtopic:

Hahah ya I was gonna say. because I remember my friend bragging he got a 233 than.. haha thats funny I worked a whole summer to buy myself a computer. Spent like 600 bucks on a 233 and the guy that sold it to me moved. I tried to get ahold of him because the ram messed up.. Oh man good times... Good thing my stepfathers best friend was a computer guy and helped me build her back to 100%. lol I miss my first computer, not one word of a lie I had to format that computer like 95 times. I mastered formatting, and now I can put a computer together blindfolded. I bet its in some dump somewhere being nawed at by bears. I should have got it bronzed lol like parents do with baby shoes.

Blah sorry for going off topic.

and school is all about balance.. but dramas are so friggin addicting. They should put a warning at the start of them :lol Probably a good thing I didn't watch dramas during highschool because I know it would probably affect me (not like I truely studied anyway)

ookamiki

Post by ookamiki » Sep 7th, '05, 18:40

I know the answer to your question !!!
Be like me don't have a personnal life ! This way, you could watch all the dramas you want while keeping time to study :lol .

I can say this because last year, for my studies, i was tooooooo far away from hoem and hardly I came home ( i was intern ). I had to stay in my tiny room even in the week-end, eating noodle-cup and stuff like that with my only friend : Nanar ( my PC ). I had sooooo much free time and was alone. It was so boring..... And then i discorvered dramas..... And began to be late at school ( don't ever watch one serie in one night !!!! )

Tomi

Post by Tomi » Sep 7th, '05, 23:40

I have learned from anime and dramas that you just have to download as much as you can and then wait till the weekend. It's hard to wait and be patient, but it helps a lot.

mikomi

Post by mikomi » Sep 8th, '05, 00:11

x_XJules wrote:eh grades don't show how smart you are just your attitude towards school.

and school sucks.
XD XD I say that all the time but in the end I am still willing to stay up whole nights to study. Heck, school is still important to me, even though it sucks truly XD

I don't think watching dramas will affect your grade that much. All you have to do is to arrange your schedule wisely. Dramas are really addicting though, but I make a policy for myself, that is to watch dramas only during the weekend or when I don't have anything else to do at all. That's why I manage to keep my grade in the A rank throughout highschool, even when I have been watching dramas continously these past 12 years. I remember last semester I really got into Jdrama but instead of staying up late, I woke up very early to watch it (~ 4-5 am :P); now when I think about it, I can't help laughing at that :D

TNF
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by TNF » Sep 8th, '05, 00:15

it can't affect your marks, but it can affect your zzzzzzz time....BIG TIME

groink

Post by groink » Sep 8th, '05, 00:26

I don't know about the rest of you people, but I'd be DAMN surprised if someone actually posted a message saying his grades have dropped as a result of drama watching. That's the problem with polls like these... You're only going to hear from people who have good things to say about themselves.

As for the one comment where grades don't matter... It is philosophically true that it doesn't matter whether you get C's or A's -- at the end, you still get the same diploma. You may not have those decorative itty-bitty honor ribbons all over your diploma, but it doesn't matter, right? I mean, I've yet to have a potential employer ask me for a xerox copy of my diploma. What they want instead are your school transcripts. And, they can make up their mind based on those transcripts exactly what kind of a person they think you are. Maybe McDonalds doesn't care whether you're a scholar or a just-get-by-Bob.

Grades, however, is still a true measurement on not just your academics but also your character -- especially your attitude. It isn't easy getting straight A's. It takes a lot of effort. Even the gifted and talented need to work at it -- these people just have an easier time processing and retaining information. Effort is a great attribute of your overall character. Attitude is just like a muscle in your body... You've got to keep working your attitude out so it becomes stronger. A person with a positive attitude about themselves shines. Just by having a one-minute conversation with a person, any employer or other decent adult can immediately tell whether or not he or she strives in being at his or her best.

Well, maybe you'll be lucky, working at an Asian drama video store, earning minimum wage.

--- groink

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Sep 8th, '05, 01:17

Don't take what I'm going to say to mean that doing well in school is not important (on the contrary I think you should put it as a high priority) but..out of all the interviews I've been to they haven't really asked me for my grades only what school/university did I go to and what degree did I get.

That question takes all of about 10 seconds then they move on to other questions that have nothing to do with my studies. Of course trying tell this to an asian parent and you'll get a good smacking, good grades are paramount to them but thats another story.

Having said that though, if there was a tough decision to make between 2 people with equal skills and experience they will take the one with better grades.

xiaryx
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by xiaryx » Sep 8th, '05, 01:23

hmmm this is my experience so far with interviews.. For the company I went to within the first 5 mins they would undboubtly ask for my GPA. 4 out of 5 interviews I went to, they would chit chat for 5 mins, and then pull out a test package and ask me to do problems/brain teasers for 45 mins..

In my opinion grade does matter, especially if you are getting an entry level job. I guess after 5 years the employer wont ask you about your degree but will look at your achievement in the industry instead.

That being said, maybe because the position I am applying are too technical. Also I have not been to that many interview so far...
Last edited by xiaryx on Sep 8th, '05, 01:26, edited 2 times in total.

Mythrel

Post by Mythrel » Sep 8th, '05, 01:24

I think groink has a good point its kinda hard to take shots at it lol....
Ruroshin, I went to school with an asian girl who's parents had her study like 5+ hours a day after school and at the end of it all she ended up just rebelling and resenting them. I know its stupid to say but I kinda wish my parents whooped my butt to study. Damnit why wasn't I born asian!
:crazy:

cgozun

Post by cgozun » Sep 8th, '05, 02:03

It's important to balance your life. All work and no play may make you dull and maybe bitter. But for all you scholars out there, grades are important. More important is after getting your diploma you learned something. Don't just get by. The harder you work now the easier life will become later. Jobs like to look at GPA to guage your capacity and transcripts are there I think for employers to see what grades you got in specific subjects and other interests you have like electives and specialties. Be diverse, expand your horizon, watch drama, study hard, remember what you learned. I don't know if watching or not watching dramas is the result of good or bad grades but I think it's nice to have as long you're not sacrificing the more important things life.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Sep 8th, '05, 02:50

In Australia, in the state I'm living in we have an OP (overall position) system from 1 to 26 (I think 26?) 1 being the best possible score. In the USA I think you have something like SAT? I've spent 5 years preparing to get an OP and only used it once ever and have never used it again.

Anyway, the point of the OP is to get you in courses at University, courses would only consider letting you in if you have a certain OP or better. This is all every High School students and teacher focus on, to get you a good OP. The OP system tries to be fair but I think it fails, if you are ranked first in a subject for year 11 & 12 you are awarded 400 points, if you are last you get 200 points and others are scaled in between depending on how far off you were from the number 1 person. A total of 5 subjects are used so a maximum of 2000 points are possible. However, getting 2000 points in a school with not a lot of competition is not the same as getting 2000 points in a school full of uber smart people all trying to get to number one position. This is the unfair bit.

So to try and balance this out all year 12 have a year end test that last like 3 days, the school average is taken from this and is compared to other school's average and your point is scaled according to how well you did against your peers. This is where they try to be fair but it doesn't quite work because in the school with lots of smart people the school also increases its test difficulty so the normalisation doesn't quite work out. This system also doesn't factor in that the high end school will gear a lot of their teaching to make sure that the majority of their students do well in the year end test as this will raise the average and make everyone in their school get better marks while the the low end school doen't really bother. I know because I was in both type of schools. The smart student in the low end school will most likely end up with the same OP as somebody just above average in a high end school.

Parents of course will always try and get their kids to go to the high end school because of this. Not really because they teach well but because the school average is high so their kid's point will be pulled up.

Now the reason why I talked about all this is to demonstrate all the effort that goes into getting that good OP and that very OP is used exactly once in my lifetime to get that course I wanted in University at ENTRY level. What a lot of the high school kids don't know is there is another way, courses will accept you based on your University GPA first and if you don't have one then your OP. Naturally high school graduates won't have a GPA yet so all they have is their OP BUT some of the high end courses require prereqs in other courses that only requier lower OP.

My sister wanted to do Denistry, it requires an OP 1 but it also requires some prereqs in science courses and science courses are way lower I think around OP 12 or so. She spent an amazing amount of hours studying in high school and she got an OP 4, she did first year general science with her OP 4 got a good GPA applied to Denistry in her second year and got in and already done a lot of her prereqs already. I asked her if all that effort in high school was worth it, she said what she learned from it is how to study better and to study efficiently so it was worth it for her.
Last edited by Ruroshin on Sep 8th, '05, 03:05, edited 1 time in total.

xiaryx
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by xiaryx » Sep 8th, '05, 03:05

haha I think this is the longest post I have ever seen from you Ruro...
I believe going from hs to college is very different from college to career. I think people in hs should study because unless you are some genius or has a special talent in some particular area, going to a good college is the only way to achieve what you want to do when you get out to the real world. (yes, Dragon Zakura is no BS).
My point is, getting good grades is usually, not always, important in entering a new stage in life, either in getting a job or getting into college. Once you are in, you can do whatever you want.
For me personally, I think watching drama is my excuse of not thinking about the future. Unlike hs (with a clear goal of getting into college), the next step after college is not that easy to take.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Sep 8th, '05, 03:11

yeah going to HS to Uni and Uni to work is very different. Actually, I knew one person who was fairly bright, got an OP 1 did engeering with me but he dropped out of University, I'm not sure if he's even working right now. Anyway, I guess my whole point was learning how much effort to put into your studies or more importantly learning how to prioritise your studies aka time management is probably more important than the actual content of what you're studying. Unless you're going into the medical field I think you will find that you will actually learn more while working than while you're studying, it certainly has been true for me and many of my friends.

I did all this engineering and electrical studies and the first 2 weeks I did at my work was to learn Java web development :roll and now I barely do any programming, now I just do architecture consulting and design documents. I guess learning how to document technical stuff in engineering helped a bit :P

groink

Post by groink » Sep 8th, '05, 03:26

Ruroshin wrote:In Australia, in the state I'm living in we have an OP (overall position) system from 1 to 26 (I think 26?) 1 being the best possible score. In the USA I think you have something like SAT? I've spent 5 years preparing to get an OP and only used it once ever and have never used it again.
Very very interesting! Thanks for sharing that information. In the US, I was somewhat screwed by the American higher-learning system, but I knew all along that it was totally my fault. In short, I had a LOUSY high school life, and ended up graduating with something like a 2.0 GPA. No great college or university would accept me with that kind of a GPA. However, when I took the SAT per my outreach counselor, I ended up scoring 1400. Go figure! Like my teachers were telling me all along, I had the aptitude - I just didn't know how to apply it to school and "play the system". Man did I hate homework!!!! Looking back, my school applied too much emphasis on the homework situation. That's why I had the lousy grades -- not because I didn't know the subject, but because I didn't complete the homework assignments.

So I really believe that grades, used purely for measuring knowledge, does not work a damn. But, they're used in the US and that is the end of it. So whether you like grades or not, you have to play the system if you expect to get accepted at a school you want to attend - high GPA, good SAT scores, glowing resume (volunteer work at the homeless shelter, etc.), and an excellent written essay.

I hope you all aren't accepting grade-C work as acceptable. Back when I was in high school, a C was good enough for me. My parents really didn't care what kind of grades I brought home. Graduating from high school was the ultimate goal. In Hawaii, you can graduate from public high school with a 1.5 GPA. So my 2.0 GPA was enough, and that was the end of it. But because I did so well on the SAT, I decided to give college a try (I was actually planning to attend a trade school, or write computer games). Not only was I late in applying for even the U of Hawaii, most schools wouldn't even accept me just because of my SAT scores. I had a lousy GPA, and I had no resume (unless owning the state scoring record in Galaxian or Tempest meant anything.) It wasn't until graduate school I was able to redeem myself for my screw-up four years earlier. After undergrad school, I had a killer GPA, along with excellent GRE scores and a nice resume containing all my professional and volunteer work.

In summary, if you plan on attending a college or university -- even if it's a dump hole-in-the-wall of a school, don't just slide through high school with lousy grades. If you're watching Asian dramas and are bringing in C's and D's... Well, I shouldn't even have to tell you what I think.

--- groink

TNF
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by TNF » Sep 8th, '05, 03:43

xiaryx wrote: Unlike hs (with a clear goal of getting into college), the next step after college is not that easy to take.
true...but SCARY :crazy:

white.raine

Post by white.raine » Sep 8th, '05, 03:54

I did it, and I made honour roll. I even passed calculus! Not with flying colours or anything but by a very comfortable margin. And a watch quite a few dramas... and played a lot of video games... and did quite a bit of partying... and portfolios... holy ****. I'm surprised I made it. I really have to thank my parents for it.

xKiMix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by xKiMix » Sep 8th, '05, 05:07

I made it through high school, with a GPA of 3.8+ (i forgot the last digit) with that i was also in other school activities, such as I'm the vice president of a club, and I was also in Leadership. Even when i have after school activites and alot of homework, i would always have time to watch my wonderful dramas! Err....but now that i'm in college and taking 18.5 units hopefully i can still pull it off :unsure:

Dodbos

Post by Dodbos » Sep 8th, '05, 05:07

i do just fine. cheating helps, but don't do it if you really care about school and the stuff you're learning. I'm still confused and uncertain as to what I really want to do, so in the mean time i'm just try to keep my gpa afloat, not for myself, but for the future employers who pay attention to it. I mean that's if i get a real job.

asil

Post by asil » Sep 11th, '05, 03:34

its all a matter of balancing studies and fun imo

im only in hs right now, but i have a 4.0 and i love dling and watching dramas/movies

cetok

Post by cetok » Sep 24th, '05, 06:33

i only started watching dramas when i'm in 2nd year of Uni..
not so addicted... because i'm too busy with studies n activities... i still put my studies first...
dramas can wait...since it is stored into pc

azndgn26

Post by azndgn26 » Apr 15th, '06, 23:21

I come home from skool and I watch dramas & movies all day everyday and I'm still passing my classes with 80s

gyoza

Post by gyoza » Apr 17th, '06, 11:18

I watch dramas quite a bit, and my average GPA is always over 3.9. Then again I'm a music major so it's not the hardest major to get good grades in :P

movieaddict

Post by movieaddict » Apr 17th, '06, 18:41

I can say dramas do affect my grades sorta, but i have always been a procrastinator so even if i didn't have drama i prolly woulda find something else to entertain me..haha :D
but its not liek i'm failing or anything, its just that i coulda done better..MY GPA is higher than a 3.0 but ya i know i could've done better w/o dramas/entertainment and i could stay in all day to study instead of partying/hanging out w/ friends, but life would be boring... :-)

OvertheRainbow

Post by OvertheRainbow » Apr 17th, '06, 19:11

I'm doing great! :P I always have dramas on my mind but I have to do something while they finish download so I do my homework. Besides, I'm one of those people who won't settle for a B unless it was AP US History then I would be elated which I am. I'm probably doing a little bit worse than I did in middle school but I'm taking harder classes so I actually care about my grades now

mallorn

Post by mallorn » Apr 18th, '06, 11:45

My style is to watch an episode of a drama everyday or every two days, then leave my computer to download other episodes while I do my schoolwork. Works pretty well for me- after a rather disastrous 1st semester in college wherein I was uber lazy, I've pulled up my GPA to a 3.18 (which I know is not that good for some others, but trust me, MUCH better than what my 1st semester average was). And I'm happy with a B, thank you very much. :lol

The thing for me is: everything in moderation. If you find that dramas/video games/TV are pulling your grades down, then stop watching and study or at least cut back drastically.

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Apr 19th, '06, 11:01

I can just imagine all the straight A students now whos majoring in Japanese, Korean or Chinese so it cant be all that bad. :)

Edit: In remark to groinks statement about usng grades to measure knowledge, I agree it's a false system.

My technology teacher used to say before starting any major new chapter that;
"It is not a question about struggling with memorizing the books, but learn to apply the technology and facts presented in them."

In other words, dont fight trying to learn. Learn how to apply the known already instead.
And as such homework is more a matter of reading to learn how to use the index, rather than the chapters :)

KoreanMania

Post by KoreanMania » Apr 19th, '06, 11:19

Hmm... it is possible if we have a sense of control over ourselves and know how to set our priority right :-) True, dramas can be so tempting and so addictive, but the matter at stake here is our grades. Grades vs Dramas... not much of a choice here, so I guess it'll have to be grades.. :lol

I used to watch dramas couple of hours in a day, was really into it... But due to an upcoming exam, I only give myself the luxury to watch an hour per day, which is before I retire at night. So, it's like something to help me take my mind of my lessons a while... haha Speaking of which, it's not time yet, so guess I better go hit the books now... :P

sadotsu

Post by sadotsu » Apr 19th, '06, 11:39

Hehhh.... well, the only connection I can think of is:
Watching too many dramas = not enough sleep = can't concentrate in class.
But somehow, I've managed to get around the sleep thing. Heh. Maybe it's because I'm a kid?

sPark*

Post by sPark* » Apr 19th, '06, 22:27

ive always done straight A's and i still do. but the only thing different i think is instead of reading books like i used to now i spend that time on the computer. if i continued reading i could probably boost my vocab skills, but right now dramas have taken over. i dunno how but i fit dramas into my schedule. i usually dont study much maybe an hour? but also i havent been practicing instruments =X dramas has sorta changed me and made me a computer addict, but i cant give up dramas. or... i dunno what i'll do =XX

blueballoon

Post by blueballoon » Apr 19th, '06, 22:44

I think getting good grades and drama are still possible. Sometimes dramas are my motivation to try to work faster so that I could watch it. Does dramas make you guys become kind of strange though? I see myself always relating things to dramas and I always have high expectations when it comes to romances and such. Anyways staying on topic, I watch most of my dramas over the weekend and when I have free time. I also tried to limit my "drama dosage" to a drama at a time. What do you guys do to limit yourself from watching dramas?

andi_the_angel78

Post by andi_the_angel78 » Apr 19th, '06, 22:53

Only those who are born smart and don't have to study as much to get straight A's can multitask! My brother can do it and he reads mangas day and night!

yuummy.pooper

Post by yuummy.pooper » Apr 19th, '06, 23:03

=O its scary how much i sound like sPark.
im getting 4.0s (probably cuz im still in eigth grade), but i used to read a lot but now i just watch dramas all day. they are sO addicting! i dont even practice the piano X[
my butt is on the chair in front of my laptop whenever im home.

jayy_lum

Post by jayy_lum » Apr 19th, '06, 23:13

Haha.... I sometimes manage to watch 2 whole series in one week. I'm in 10th grade though... My advice, when you have work, get all your work done. When your free and have no homework or anything else to do, watch to your heart's delight. Just basically keep your mind on one thing. Don't think about dramas when your doing homework. Just focus on getting your homework done CORRECTLY and then you can squander off the rest of the night/day/whatever =)

android_04

Post by android_04 » Apr 19th, '06, 23:27

Work will get much harder in college. I am 2nd year computer engineering student, and this semester I have not been able to watch any dramas at all. Unless I dont want to sleep the remaining 3 or 4 nights a week that I have free to sleep :|

sgwannabe
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sgwannabe » Apr 19th, '06, 23:29

it's scary..but I'm doing better watching dramas than before.. :)

but, i do all my hw and cram dramas all on one day :whistling:

dqshu

Post by dqshu » Apr 19th, '06, 23:32

eeh my parents keep telling me to get off comp to study -_-;; so asian; but i still manage to get As, i guess it's the asian nature or sumthing. haha but mostly i do my hw the class b4 -_-b. also i don't usually watch an hr ep in one sitting, lol i have a short attention span

OvertheRainbow

Post by OvertheRainbow » Apr 19th, '06, 23:44

andi_the_angel78 wrote:Only those who are born smart and don't have to study as much to get straight A's can multitask! My brother can do it and he reads mangas day and night!
Well, how exactly are you born "smart'? Tthat's like saying someone was born an orphan. I think it depends on the person because my friend is like really smart and she doesn't really study a lot but when she has to do something, she has to be focused on that one thing alone.

Caramelito

Post by Caramelito » Apr 20th, '06, 00:11

when i was at the highschool i didnt really have to study that much. For me was quite easy to get an A when it came to subjects like: biology, chemistry, literature and civics.. but when i had to learn maths, history and the rest i really had to try hard.
But it was ok, i watched every night my two tv shows and i read a lot and i never had problems at school.
At the present time, the problem is that all young people have their mobile phone, and computer and psp II and this and that. Too much things to while away the time...
:scratch:

forever_u_n_me

Post by forever_u_n_me » Apr 21st, '06, 02:06

watchin' dramas is like youre on drugs!!!!! once U get addicted, U can never quit. i mean you would want to seek help right? :D anywaise as to my grades and dramas, it has gone down. but i guess U can never get enuff of all the hot celebrities :cheers:

Ayisha18

Post by Ayisha18 » Apr 23rd, '06, 13:24

I think it's possible. I don't get the best grades in school but I'm not failing either. I actually consider watching dramas as a way to relieve stress and it works for me.

mallepa

Post by mallepa » Apr 23rd, '06, 13:55

It's possible. :D
I watch at least 1 drama per season, and I have an 82.7% average... ^^;;

nishi1384

Post by nishi1384 » Apr 23rd, '06, 14:04

Aiyo.. I am new into here but I bet everyone has gone through that once. Its not that dramas actually pull your grades down but they are time consuming... Thats why I think you should just adjust your time table and shall be enough though sometimes its really tough man!
It also happens that you cant wait for the next episode and if you got it liao, you watch it straight ahead forgetting about the next days maths exam XD
hehehe... Anyway, its good to be addicted to something XD gives passion in life XD

abcd99

Post by abcd99 » Apr 25th, '06, 10:31

You know what? This is getting insane! Though I limit myself on ancient Chinese drama, there are still more movies that I can watch :crazy:. I keep downloading, but I couldn't keep up watching all of them!

albertoavena

Post by albertoavena » Apr 25th, '06, 11:11

Meh, my grades are ok I guess. Dramas aren't really affecting me so much as I watch them when everyones asleep.. So i'm doing alright..yeah, I agree on one thing though, it is time consuming :lol

abcd99 - Yeah, it get's pretty difficult keeping up with everything since theres so many new ones that come out that you want to watch :lol

ColdCell

Post by ColdCell » Apr 25th, '06, 11:15

Sure you can..... as long as you keep yourself in check :)

As for me, for most of the time I have 3 different dramas I'm wathcing.

But the wait for subtitles, the wait for the download is more than enough time to study.

When you get down to it, the bottom line is time management and self-control.

Talk is easy hehe.. I myself have trouble restraining myself. :goggle:

uniquo

Post by uniquo » Apr 25th, '06, 13:09

downloading... though not dramas have affected my life in a big way.... I blame it on the fact I have an AMD Athlon .... ( concentration ability is zero when it is turned on as it is loud and noisy - thats why I always advise if you don't game.. buy an pentium... much quieter and less heat) and I got obsessed perfecting the art of craming a 700mb video into one cd with hard burned subs... the raw don't have subs encoded into them.... and basically downloading movies...

YOu could say I had no self control... BUt I did try to silence the computer as much as possible by changing fans and anything else... but when I took it to the pc shop to get it even more quiet they said that is the quietest. Its soo loud that at night when I have the blanket over my ears I can still hear it huymming... and I sleep in a bunk bed and the computer desk is right under....

THe result that happened is now I have to change Universities as I have changed the course I am doing... finishing up on dramas I have started and not starting new ones... changing the internet connection so now I share with my brother... and because the schedule of the course I am doing clashed with my work life... change jobs.... only problem is because the schedule is sooo all over the place I have to find a part time job, and although I have been working for the past 3 years.. it still ain't easy. So next week off I go to centrelink to get some kind of welfare payment and continue applying for jobs. Hopefully I'll get one soon...

Ohhh.... the most sad thing about this is.... I can't tell my parents otherwise they would be having heart attacks AND THIS IS A FAMILY DISGRACE .... and I still gotta graduate within 2 years as they think as I am doing p/t study - 6 yrs p/t and I already wasted so much time... when I finally finish my course and transfer into mainstream uni I'll have to do the uni course f/t plus summer school...

and its going to be a stressful 2 years... keeping this a secret from eveyone at home.. only my friends know whats happening and they promise not to tell my parents....

I kinda regret working.. the extra money meant i was able to get my internet connection and download with no restriction..

GUYS I LEARNT IT THE HARD WAY - NO AMOUNT OF DOWNLOADING SERIES/MOVIES/SONGS IS WORTH RISKING YOUR ACADEMIC FUTURE... - LOOK AT ME!!!! I HAVE SUCH A MASSIVE LIFE STYLE CHANGE AND IT AIN'T NICE TO BE LYING TO YOUR FAMILY FOR 2 YEARS..

android_04

Post by android_04 » Apr 25th, '06, 13:27

@uniquo
I kinda know what you are going through. My A's and B's from my freshman year became mostly C's an F my Sophomore year, and a dropped class my sophomore year. I blame some of it on anime and dramas, which I was introduced to halfway in my freshman year. I became obsessed and didnt care about my work. Right now I am trying hard to do good, though I wont be able to graduate in 4 years either like I wanted, cuz my scholarship only pays 4 years tuition :cry: There are weeks where I stay up every other night doing homework. I told my parents that the school work was hard, and that I was gonna need more than 4 years (which is true, Computer Engineering classes are hard). I Hope you (and I) control ourselves better and focus on our studies, though I wouldnt want you to completely leave dramas. I know I am not abandoning them :mrgreen:

uniquo

Post by uniquo » Apr 25th, '06, 13:38

@android_04 - HAHA not being mean here... what is your hotmail? maybe we can chat about this issue further? I feel very depressed because before I was downloading I was at least passing my subjects...but once the downloading started everything went down the toilet... and all my friends are graduating and doing so well professionally.I will still download... just to finish off my trades and when ever Ruroshin does a batch seed like " My GIrl " I'll dl and my other assingments, but otherwise the computer is off as it is very noisy and distracting. it will look strange if it is always off anyway.

I'll make this clearer... I do 6 years p/t but I only have 2 years of the 6 years left to clean up my act before I get busted.. and the only way to do this is go full time after completing the bridging course I am doing... get as many exemptions from the subjects and do summer school.

SO my situation is worse than yours... my parents also don't know I dropped out of one uni to attend another... my friends are amazed at how far I've kept it from them.... I guess I'm desperate. BUt I'm not trying to sound like a SAINT.. I'm really unhappy at my situation and don't want others to follow my path.

Its also embarrassing when people ask you so how many subjects have you got left... because you know you have to repeat so many - especially my age when you are hitting your mid-twenties and everyone in the course you are doing is like 20 and the course you are doing is mainly aimed at o/seas students and ppl fresh out of uni.. Luckily I have done a bit of tafe and and knwo what subjects are to be studied in the course so I can waffle on a bit... otherwise I would've been busted along time ago.

xMoOshiE

Post by xMoOshiE » Apr 25th, '06, 22:49

hmm...I don't study...don't do any homework....watch a ton of dramas....but I still make A's >.<" strange huh? lol I thought so too! :lol

disko

Post by disko » Apr 25th, '06, 23:10

uniquo wrote:downloading... though not dramas have affected my life in a big way.... I blame it on the fact I have an AMD Athlon .... ( concentration ability is zero when it is turned on as it is loud and noisy - thats why I always advise if you don't game.. buy an pentium... much quieter and less heat) and I got obsessed perfecting the art of craming a 700mb video into one cd with hard burned subs... the raw don't have subs encoded into them.... and basically downloading movies...

YOu could say I had no self control... BUt I did try to silence the computer as much as possible by changing fans and anything else... but when I took it to the pc shop to get it even more quiet they said that is the quietest. Its soo loud that at night when I have the blanket over my ears I can still hear it huymming... and I sleep in a bunk bed and the computer desk is right under....

THe result that happened is now I have to change Universities as I have changed the course I am doing... finishing up on dramas I have started and not starting new ones... changing the internet connection so now I share with my brother... and because the schedule of the course I am doing clashed with my work life... change jobs.... only problem is because the schedule is sooo all over the place I have to find a part time job, and although I have been working for the past 3 years.. it still ain't easy. So next week off I go to centrelink to get some kind of welfare payment and continue applying for jobs. Hopefully I'll get one soon...

Ohhh.... the most sad thing about this is.... I can't tell my parents otherwise they would be having heart attacks AND THIS IS A FAMILY DISGRACE .... and I still gotta graduate within 2 years as they think as I am doing p/t study - 6 yrs p/t and I already wasted so much time... when I finally finish my course and transfer into mainstream uni I'll have to do the uni course f/t plus summer school...

and its going to be a stressful 2 years... keeping this a secret from eveyone at home.. only my friends know whats happening and they promise not to tell my parents....

I kinda regret working.. the extra money meant i was able to get my internet connection and download with no restriction..

GUYS I LEARNT IT THE HARD WAY - NO AMOUNT OF DOWNLOADING SERIES/MOVIES/SONGS IS WORTH RISKING YOUR ACADEMIC FUTURE... - LOOK AT ME!!!! I HAVE SUCH A MASSIVE LIFE STYLE CHANGE AND IT AIN'T NICE TO BE LYING TO YOUR FAMILY FOR 2 YEARS..
centrelink eh? bastards won't give me a dime because I'm not 'independent', and yeah I work part-time and commute. </rant>

you seem to be pretty worried about how your family think of you? while I can understand saving face, surely re-doing a subject or two isn't the biggest deal in the world? right now I'm looking to transfer and have wasted much money and time just realising my course wasn't something I wanted to do.

and yeah, our internet is a joke huh, Japan you can get 8M/1M unrestricted for about 45$. **** thieves is what they are.

sheep11

Post by sheep11 » Apr 25th, '06, 23:26

xMoOshiE wrote:hmm...I don't study...don't do any homework....watch a ton of dramas....but I still make A's >.<" strange huh? lol I thought so too! :lol
uuummm so r u in middle school or high school? i miss the days when i could study an hour before the test and still get an A. wait till college, its a whole different game plan :roll

xMoOshiE

Post by xMoOshiE » Apr 25th, '06, 23:35

sheep11 wrote:
xMoOshiE wrote:hmm...I don't study...don't do any homework....watch a ton of dramas....but I still make A's >.<" strange huh? lol I thought so too! :lol
uuummm so r u in middle school or high school? i miss the days when i could study an hour before the test and still get an A. wait till college, its a whole different game plan :roll
lol High School =] hahaha isn't it great?!?! As for college....i've heard both sides. So I'll wait and see hehehe... =]

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Apr 25th, '06, 23:37

sheep11 wrote:
Yeah... it doesn't work for thermodynamics, E&M, or quantum mechanics. I know, I tried the experiment... it doesn't work for those, trust me.

OvertheRainbow

Post by OvertheRainbow » Apr 25th, '06, 23:38

That was the same situation with me in middle school but it was because the school wasn't challenging enough since the teachers couldn't control the students so basically never got anything done. In my new school though, things are harder which is good and bad because I have to study really hard and do a lot of essays and readings, etc. Maybe you need a more challenging environment?

k_fan

Post by k_fan » Apr 25th, '06, 23:42

It's not the dramas distracting me, it's the internet, lol. I only watch drama now and then.

xMoOshiE

Post by xMoOshiE » Apr 25th, '06, 23:49

pokute: omgoshies!! all the names sound big and scary as it is but thermodynamics is kinda fun..hahaha well some of it lmao

OvertheRainbow: Possibly hahaha, but all the courses that I'm taking are "suppose" to be the hardest. >.<" maybe it's because the teachers lack the skill ...

sheep11

Post by sheep11 » Apr 25th, '06, 23:50

pokute wrote:
sheep11 wrote:
Yeah... it doesn't work for thermodynamics, E&M, or quantum mechanics. I know, I tried the experiment... it doesn't work for those, trust me.
yup, definatly doesn't work for organic chemistry, biochem or genetics. it'll depend on ur major i guess. but hey, if u can do it all the power to u. good luck :-)