[Movie Discussion] Audition

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
jazzy5000

[Movie Discussion] Audition

Post by jazzy5000 » Apr 24th, '06, 19:16

Starring Ryo Ishibashi and Eihi Shiina. I heard that this is a very interesting movie. Any comments or views on this movie?

Crazy Penguin

Post by Crazy Penguin » Apr 24th, '06, 19:45

"Interesting" is a good way to describe it.

The whole idea behind the plot, though, is, when you look at it, odd. I mean, what kind of guy would use an audition to find a fitting woman? Even though he's not really bad (unlike the others the "heroine" encounters in her life), I can't say I really felt sorry for him when she went to "work" on him.

It raises a few interesting questions, though. I definitely recommend watching it. I've only seen it once, in German (which means... it was censored, heavly, and the dubbed voices were odd).

jazzy5000

Post by jazzy5000 » Apr 24th, '06, 21:18

I definitely recommend watching it. I've only seen it once, in German (which means... it was censored, heavly, and the dubbed voices were odd).
Hmmm....I do understand German at a decent level as I study it at A-level, but if it's dubbed heavly then maybe not. Lol. Where did you get your hands on the dubbed version?

Schala

Post by Schala » Apr 24th, '06, 21:43

The Takashi Miike film?

It was okay...though just a little to bizarre for my tastes. But I'd much rather watch it again than Ichi the Killer. I still want my 2 hours back I spent watching that movie. *shudder*

I just don't like the gore or grossness factor. :crazy:

Crazy Penguin

Post by Crazy Penguin » Apr 25th, '06, 05:08

Bizarre, that's the word I was looking for, thank you.

And they showed the German version on the German/French station "arte"

EMTQueen

Post by EMTQueen » Apr 25th, '06, 10:57

I would have liked this movie a lot more if Miike had focused more energy on the story (which was quite interesting) rather than how gross he could make the imagery.

This movie was just far too disgusting for my tastes.

May-May

Post by May-May » Apr 25th, '06, 11:54

I only remember 3 things about this movie...
First one is that I almost puked on my sister when I saw the guy eating THAT, in the... how do you call it, the doggy bowl?
Second is that my sis jumped so high that her glasses landed on the opposite side of the room.
And last, that I couldn't stand the sound of cutting and was quite scared of kid songs after that...
... I'll never watch it again!!!

oasis

Post by oasis » Apr 25th, '06, 12:34

it's quite classic in the 'extreme horror' category of asian films that miike is well known for. Audition was 2 hours of slow, draggy buildup to a *really* freaky 10-20 minutes. I think that made it much more... intense than Ichi the killer, which was pretty weird already from the get-go. Ah, they don't make films like that anymore... His 'one missed call' is far more mainstream.

kryptolus

Post by kryptolus » Apr 25th, '06, 12:36

oasis wrote:it's quite classic in the 'extreme horror' category of asian films that miike is well known for. Audition was 2 hours of slow, draggy buildup to a *really* freaky 10-20 minutes. I think that made it much more... intense than Ichi the killer, which was pretty weird already from the get-go. Ah, they don't make films like that anymore... His 'one missed call' is far more mainstream.
I have to agree "oasis". It's a movie with a lot of things, but in which "nothing really happens." Personally, I was disappointed when I saw it because I was just expecting much more from it. The pace was too slow.

rdoll

Post by rdoll » Apr 25th, '06, 12:54

It's Takashi Miike movie after all. So what do you expect other than gore(except One Missed Call). If you want to see the oddest Miike movie, go watch 'Gozu'. Even now, I have no idea what it was all about.

Anyway, if you want a good Japanese movie with no gore and all. Go watch Shunji Iwai movies. Or Takeshi Kitano. I like them better more than Miike.

kryptolus

Post by kryptolus » Apr 25th, '06, 12:57

rdoll wrote:it's Takashi Miike movie after all. So what do you expect other than gore(except One Missed Call). If you want to what the oddest Miike movie, go watch 'Gozu'. Even now, iI have no idea what it was all about.

Anyway, if you want a good Japanese movie with no gore and all. Go watch Shunji Iwai movies. Or Takeshi Kitano. I like their movie more than Miike.
I think the weirdest movie by him would have to be "Visitor Q". Me and a couple of friends watched it several years ago, and now we never speak of it again :P :P :P

It was weird, but funny in its own weird way. It's probably worth seeing if you're not afraid of really weird weird stuff.