[TwDrama] The Rose (TTV, 2003)

Discuss chinese drama series here.
shirahime

[TwDrama] The Rose (TTV, 2003)

Post by shirahime » Aug 12th, '04, 15:44

I just love this drama. Wonder if such a complex family relation exist in real life?
I've finish watching a little more than half the drama and I start liking KUI (the long hair guy) more and more. Anybody out there knows who he is? Name? Age?

habukie
AiRen
AiRen

Post by habukie » Aug 12th, '04, 18:28

http://lunardreamz.fateback.com/synopses/rose.htm

It's the synopsis for The Rose and has the name of the actor. He's also in Nine Ball, which was recently aired. There's a website for him, not sure if it's official/unofficial, but they do tvrips of his shows, so that's how come I know. :) www.joecheng.net (in chinese)

Ok, just did a quick search and found this: http://www63.tok2.com/home2/pinyindatab ... x/english/
Just scroll down the side for his name - Cheng Yuan Chang. (Btw, it's kinda confusing, they put the Cheng's in the middle of all the Chen's. :nuts: ) He was born in 1982, which makes him 22. There are also links to other websites.

clouds421
Reviewer
Reviewer

Post by clouds421 » Aug 12th, '04, 18:43

lol, I wanted to start a thread, but thought it would make me sound too obsessed, but I am :lol

I think a lot of people will like Kui's character..also, in my opinion, the actor playing Kui acts a lot better than Jerry Huang (Jin).

For those who know, Chinese, there are about 20 short NG clips on the official website.
http://pgm.ttv.com.tw/drama/2003/RoseLove/default.htm -- but even if you don't, you can find it pretty easily under tidbits.

I don't know if such a family would exist in real life, but the reflections on every other episode are very realistic..like end of episode 3, the metaphor to a rose's thorns.

shirahime

Post by shirahime » Aug 12th, '04, 19:45

It was more Kui's acting (yeah I've notice that he acts better than Jin too) and on screen charm that caught me, but Kui's charater is interesting also. I like the scene where Kui's taking photo shots at modell agency. He was looking so sexy :wub:
I thought Jin was looking cool in the begining but he turned out to be too stiff.
Thanx for the links, checking them out right now :D

babyguh

Post by babyguh » Aug 12th, '04, 20:06

omg i love this show sooo much! i like kui's expressing his emotions and hes shure is cuter than Jin...tw dramas are gettin soo much betta thatn the HK ones..and now i kno y this is called the Rose..always wonered y..they always have a good meaning to their titles..the japanese writers..but somehow it is portrayed so much betta with the tw pepoz...strange huh like meeor garden,peach girl..and soo...

shrahime so lucky u can watch it ahhead...wish i understood chinese

shirahime

Post by shirahime » Aug 12th, '04, 22:41

I was googling for some more info on Kui and found that he have a official site where he wrotes short messages to fans, this one is most recent and quite interesting. I think he's adjusting to his new fame :mrgreen:

04.7.31 01:43 我簽 故我在
呵呵 今天還蠻有趣的 到桃園拍戲 剛好遇到放學時間 剛
好有一群學生 經過我正在休息的車旁
凸然
a說是鄭元暢也
b說不是啦
c說好像是也
d說怎麼可能 此時他們在繞回來看個清楚
a當著我的面說 你看不是鄭元暢吧
b尖叫說 是鄭元暢啦
c說好帥好帥好帥
d說走啦被聽到很丟臉
這時傻眼的我如同洗了一個三溫暖
傻眼了三秒鐘後 全車的人哄堂大笑
哇哈哈 真是有趣得一天

babyguh

Post by babyguh » Aug 12th, '04, 23:13

awww shrahime! hmmz..could b kind and translate? eheh or tell wat he rote appox..hehe

thanx !

shirahime

Post by shirahime » Aug 12th, '04, 23:36

Hm well I'm not excelent on chinese that's why I didnt volunteer as translator for this drama but I'll try to translate this.

-------
Haha Today still an interesting incident happened. When I was recording movie at peach garden, it was at the time of day when students finish school. A bunch students where passing by when I was resting in my car.

suddenly
[a] said, oh it's zheng yuan chang
said, no it's not
[c]said it looks like him
[d]said, it's not possible, at this time they all went to have a closer look
[a] looked straight at my face and said, you can't be zheng yuan chang right?
screamed, it's really him
[c] said, so handsome so handsome so handsome
[d] said, let's go, it's so embarrasing
at this moment I was stunned and looks like somebody who's just been to a sauna bath
i was stunned for three second when the rest of ppl in the car where laughing loud
wah haha it was really an interesting day

-------

it sounds more fun if you read it in chinese. He told this in an enjoyable way

babyguh

Post by babyguh » Aug 12th, '04, 23:41

heheh thanx much shirahime!! ehe that convo makes me like kui sooo much bettah!whOOho * sweatin fo him*

clouds421
Reviewer
Reviewer

Post by clouds421 » Aug 12th, '04, 23:46

babyguh wrote:but somehow it is portrayed so much betta with the tw pepoz...strange huh like meeor garden,peach girl..and soo...
I think this is an overgeneralization..I read Peach Girl (first part) & watched the drama, & I thought the acting was horrible, but it followed very true to the story.

This is turning into a thread on Joe Cheng (but that msg was funny--supposedly he's known for his sense of humor). What about 'The Rose'?!

clouds421
Reviewer
Reviewer

Post by clouds421 » Aug 13th, '04, 05:23

haha, I guess it's going to be me swarming this thread :P

well, when you think something's great..there's gotta be a reason right. So why I really like this drama..part in part because I can relate to some of the themes & there are a lot of themes. Also, I think it even teaches you a lesson once in a while (reference to slimming part). Because it's always switching themes, I don't find it dragging on any one area. The relationships are spread out & characters very well developed. Oh, this is minus the (possibly interesting/possibliy turnoff) crazy, taboo stuff--but actually I found it easy to overlook that.

Slimming. Why does Asian people see it as so important? I swear the first thing my aunt used to say at family gatherings when she saw me was "Don't you look a little chubbier?" (I was a chubby kid but I think I'm fine now :) even though I'm probably chubby by her anorexic (bordering 100lbs) standards.

I also love the last part of episode 3, because if makes me reflect on my family. It's actually the complete opposite of the Hans and sometimes I think why we can't be straightforward towards one another. Hmm..

Last thing would be the language. I do find it different from other dramas in which some of the dialogue is "flowery" (double meaning there). Now after all that, have to replay the scene..I've been watching it a couple times for subbing but still don't get tired of it.

00:44:10,334 --> 00:44:13,501
This family is
really straightforward

00:44:13,534 --> 00:44:16,801
in expressing
their feelings.

00:44:16,834 --> 00:44:19,200
Sometimes it hurts,

00:44:19,234 --> 00:44:22,767
but because they
are very direct,

00:44:22,801 --> 00:44:24,534
any misunderstandings that arises

00:44:24,567 --> 00:44:27,834
can be resolved immediately.

00:44:27,868 --> 00:44:30,200
Just like this rose.

00:44:30,234 --> 00:44:34,200
You can see their
thorns clearly.

00:44:34,834 --> 00:44:37,801
A rose's thorns.

00:45:03,834 --> 00:45:05,734
I understand.

00:45:06,801 --> 00:45:12,767
Thank you, Po Por.

00:45:12,834 --> 00:45:15,300
That's right.

00:45:15,367 --> 00:45:19,467
A rose in bloom
has many thorns

00:45:19,501 --> 00:45:22,200
but despite that, it does
not try to disguise itself

00:45:22,234 --> 00:45:24,033
just like my family.

00:45:24,067 --> 00:45:27,200
Also, for the first
time I realized that

00:45:27,234 --> 00:45:30,167
I really like my family.

:)

shirahime

Post by shirahime » Aug 13th, '04, 11:56

clouds421 wrote:
babyguh wrote:but somehow it is portrayed so much betta with the tw pepoz...strange huh like meeor garden,peach girl..and soo...
I think this is an overgeneralization..I read Peach Girl (first part) & watched the drama, & I thought the acting was horrible, but it followed very true to the story.

This is turning into a thread on Joe Cheng (but that msg was funny--supposedly he's known for his sense of humor). What about 'The Rose'?!
hehe I was about to post some of Joe Chengs pic when I saw your reply, better not turn this into a Joe Cheng thread hehe.
I think the reason taiwaness adaptions of japanese manga stories are so successful is that they take away those extreme weird part, keep the apealing part, choose some good looking hunks and babes and make an enjoyable drama of it. But this only works if they don't drag out the storyline to increase number of ep. MGII is an example of draging out.

shirahime

Post by shirahime » Aug 13th, '04, 12:04

Have you guys noticed that Bai He (Ella) isn't really fat. Her face is a little round maybe but she's normal or a little slimmer than normal. So she often wears a lot of clothes :D
I think Selina have more meet on her than Ella in fact.
About the taboo stuff, it does really have a lot. It's the first drama I've watch where they have both homosexual AND incest at the same time. And you can see two guys kissed more than once :crazy: in a chinese drama :crazy:

clouds421
Reviewer
Reviewer

Post by clouds421 » Aug 14th, '04, 06:19

shirahime, you even changed your sig :lol

--

this is in prep for ep. 6..

There's reference to something called a "space shuttle" that baffled the translators. I doubt that many of us have heard of it so..what exactly is it?

Apparently some sort of slimming machine that does the job by using heat..I'm not too sure either. Very interesting, huh?

http://www.cnmeili.com/cpjs.htm <--link from zq

shirahime

Post by shirahime » Aug 14th, '04, 07:23

@clouds421 hehe I guess I'm a little addicted :lol
BTW, do you have the NG clips too? I've just seen a little of it. So funny, they're a happy gang.
----
Yeah I've seen that "space shuffle" in news shows b4. I think they're using heat to make you slimmer, like sweating away your fats. Haha I guess you'll see a suffered Bai He in eps 6 then

penGy

Post by penGy » Aug 15th, '04, 01:11

Ahh.. Didn't notice this thread before. ^^

Joe Cheng's a cutie, esp. when he wears a hat. Heh. Yeah.. He's much better than Jin in terms of actings and looks. But sometimes, his shouting and screaming can be a tad too much. -_-"

shirahime, the left pic in your sig is sooo nice. ^^

Ep.17 was such a sad ep though.. *sniff*

My fave characters are Kui, Fu Rong and Po Po. Hebe's pretty nice too.

habukie
AiRen
AiRen

Post by habukie » Aug 15th, '04, 07:04

well i have to say that personally i felt that the series started off very promising, but then kinda got bogged down in the middle. throughout, though, i loved fu rong's character! sometimes if you watch her even in the background she's making funny faces. and i like how manipulative (in a good way!) she is. i don't want to give too many spoilers, so i won't discuss in detail what was good/bad, but just wanted to add that much. :) oh, and i agree with assessments of kui's and jin's acting skills.

@ clouds: if you do have the NGs, i'd love to see them. i think i might've seen a bit, but i really can't remember. it's been a while. thanks! :D

p.s. for those interested (and who can understand chinese): the girl who plays fu rong is in two new series out recently. and one of those series also has the guy who plays jin. from what i've seen and heard, the series that they're both in (my puppy lover) is a comedy (quite a change from the rose, huh?). :lol

shirahime

Post by shirahime » Aug 15th, '04, 07:41

Yeah the first 3/4 part was interesting but I got a little bored towards the end maybe because there wasn't any surprising factor or that I could guess what was going to happen.
There are some NG in the end of the last eps in the version I posted but I think there should be more.
Since habukie bring up other series that Fu Rung are in I maybe should mention that Kui's been in other series as well, one of them, don't know if it's the latest is "nine ball" or "biljard boy" dunno what the english title is. I've just finish dl-ing it. As usuall rm format without english sub. The seeds at original torrent pool is not good, it took me quite a while to finish so maybe it's not a good idea to post that torrent here or I'll be swimming in PMs asking for seed. If there are ppl interesting in getting it I can upload and seed it 5 eps at a time.

clouds421
Reviewer
Reviewer

Post by clouds421 » Aug 15th, '04, 08:26

aww you guys..well, it's one of those dramas that were extended because of it's popularity, but still it was great, and I didn't feel like things were dragged out or randomly thrown in. I thought the ending was very fitting..

Some of the NG clips on the official website were never released I believe (they seem to be personal footage)--those are pretty bad quality. I got about 30 min worth of clips from there, but isn't it still up? If you can't get them, PM me.

edit: It just didn't seem right to post the NGs up now on BT since only up to ep. 4 here, probably will do it later. For those who want it now, I uploaded the NGs to a temp server for a number of ppl who did msg me, but it's against the rules to make it public. It'll expire in a week, so if you want it, ask me before then.
Last edited by clouds421 on Aug 15th, '04, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.

penGy

Post by penGy » Aug 15th, '04, 13:37

The lady playing Fu Rong has changed a lot since I last saw her in 'The Outsiders', particularly body wise. She looks great, but I can't help but wonder if she's had a child recently or something. Yeah I agree with habukie about her making faces in the background. She's so cute. Heh.

The eps nearing the 20s are a little slow, but cos I have 6 more eps till it finishes, I don't wanna make any conclusions yet.

habukie
AiRen
AiRen

Post by habukie » Aug 16th, '04, 18:10

@pengy: you must have esp or something, because "the outsiders" was just uploaded! :D

penGy

Post by penGy » Aug 17th, '04, 01:51

No no.. I wish I did. Har. I downloaded the bulk ages ago from another site. I think it's more recent than The Rose, cos when Dylan Kuo made an appearance in The Rose, he looked younger.. Fu Rong plays highschool in The Outsiders. Heh. She was my favourite character - her and Qi's bickering kept me watching, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered, cos I found the acting by some of the people kinda poor, and the story became a little boring at times. However, [nearing] the end made me cry lots. :cry:

Anyhow, back to The Rose.. I found the ending kind of silly cos Jin and Bai He were kissing and the guests were throwing petals over them before the vows were taken. lol. Bai He looked cute, but that bunch of flowers in her hair was somewhat tacky.

Also, I dunno if the episodes shown on tv are different to the dvdrips, but in that bulk download, up to ep 19, they were all vcd/dvd-rips, but 20+ were tv-rips.. And at the end of ep19, Hebe was still there, but in ep20, she was gone, Kui and Bai He looked as though they were gonna do the horrible deed, por por was back working in the house, and Jin had already released his book.. So I think I'm missing an episode. lol.

habukie
AiRen
AiRen

Post by habukie » Aug 17th, '04, 02:31

SPOILERS!

haha. i watched the same set of bulk links. i ended up asking ppl at the tvseriesfans discussion thread about what was missing. according to people, the most important thing was that jin had a book released and that he was so swamped with fans that he moved out of the house.

oh, and about the end, what was with all the fake hair? that's what threw me the most. i felt that a major theme of the drama was that it's ok to be different (even though ella isn't really as fat as they make her out to be). and then she goes and uses all those extensions? :blink

penGy

Post by penGy » Aug 17th, '04, 02:50

The extensions would have looked nice without the thick fringe and horrible roses, and if they were straightened. lol. But I guess she just wanted to look "different" for her wedding.. Besides, if it was ok for her to be different, she wouldn't have gone on the major weight loss plan just to get into that wedding dress. Blah. Also, I reckon that if Ella defined her eyebrows, she would look tons better than she does now.

Another thing, what was the book about? Was it a novel or Jin's biography? Also, Jin mentioned a test that involved Bai He and Kui - was that a DNA test to prove that they're really siblings? I thought Jin moved out the house because he wanted to avoid Bai He.. :glare:

clouds421
Reviewer
Reviewer

Post by clouds421 » Aug 17th, '04, 05:22

It seems like everyone in this thread has seen the ending :P

I don't think the theme was it's ok to look different..the major one is probably you have to get to know a person before judging them. It's the cliche "don't judge a book by its cover," but then it explores the different sides being judged. Not that simple. In my opinion, the theme was already established in the span of the drama. The ending..well, it's her wedding. I think it was more for herself than to show the world. But I agree the extensions were too much..

Talking about this makes me think of my cousin who just got married in June. She went from a size 12 to like a size 4 in a matter of months. Haha, the drive of brides!

habukie
AiRen
AiRen

Post by habukie » Aug 17th, '04, 05:46

well i don't want to get into a debate about the theme because i think the theme is in the eye of the beholder. :) i just want to point out that the two themes that we have brought up aren't mutually exclusive. in fact i believe that they're intertwined. also, i think you mentioned that you have read the manga. i haven't, so everything i see and interpret is based on the drama alone. :D

moving on...about weddings...i've read before that people drastically change themselves for the weddings, but a size 12 to a size 4? that's a huge change! :crazy: i've heard that people usually buy the dress a size smaller in preparation for that weight loss, but i wonder what your cousin did. maybe she had to take in the dress a lot. just curious...i wonder how she did it. i mean, i think bai he's story is pretty classic of those trying to diet (meaning her earlier attempts to lose weight, only to gain some... :) ). but then again i've heard of some chinese stars who went on some crazy diets just to lose weight (like not eating till hungry and then eating a few saltines.)

clouds421
Reviewer
Reviewer

Post by clouds421 » Aug 18th, '04, 03:53

habukie wrote:just curious...i wonder how she did it. i mean, i think bai he's story is pretty classic of those trying to diet (meaning her earlier attempts to lose weight, only to gain some... :) ). but then again i've heard of some chinese stars who went on some crazy diets just to lose weight (like not eating till hungry and then eating a few saltines.)
She said eating right. But the occasion & the excitment of getting married probably helps! Next to the blessings, her weight-loss & looking great was the talk of night at the banquet. But I think this proves that there is this general perception of associating beauty w/ being thin.

I think that it's overemphasized at times. Wonder if it's just me, but I have lots of examples. Just that night, on my table, there was this gossipy lady I didn't know (from the groom's side) and she was making comments about how chubby one of the bridesmaids was. I was getting so annoyed. It was kind of like in the drama, comments like "wow, she's so huge, looks like a gorilla." :glare:

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Aug 18th, '04, 04:35

Been afraid to read this thread because it seems you've all seen the rest of this drama, so I apologize if there's someone else who's already said this... but it's a small observation I made while watching episode 5....
Selena's toes (Qin) were wiggling in the scene where Jin was holding her in the forest when she was presumably dead. (at around 38 minutes and 30 seconds). I just found it amusing and for th rest of the scene, I was staring at Selena's toes hoping they'd wiggle again. :lol

habukie
AiRen
AiRen

Post by habukie » Aug 18th, '04, 04:56

iceberri wrote:Been afraid to read this thread because it seems you've all seen the rest of this drama, so I apologize if there's someone else who's already said this... but it's a small observation I made while watching episode 5....
Selena's toes (Qin) were wiggling in the scene where Jin was holding her in the forest when she was presumably dead. (at around 38 minutes and 30 seconds). I just found it amusing and for th rest of the scene, I was staring at Selena's toes hoping they'd wiggle again. :lol
haha. not sure i noticed that. but then again there were times when i was trying to do homework while watching (that didn't go so well :roll ) so i wasn't really watching what was going on, just listening.

@clouds: i know what you mean about the beauty=thin perception. whenever i'm at a chinese function, i'll hear comments like the one you wrote (without the gorilla reference...i've never heard that one before :lol ). what's interesting to me is that many asians are already pretty skinny in general (seems to be genetic) but they feel that they're too fat if they're over 100lbs! i once saw a pretty interesting forum for asians where many asian women talked about the pressure to be skeletally-skinny. the asian men who replied in the forum were split, but most leaned towards the "i like my women skinny" thinking. sorry, i've gotten seriously :offtopic: .

clouds421
Reviewer
Reviewer

Post by clouds421 » Aug 18th, '04, 05:16

iceberri wrote:Been afraid to read this thread because it seems you've all seen the rest of this drama, so I apologize if there's someone else who's already said this... but it's a small observation I made while watching episode 5....
actually, I was hoping people would talk as they watch. It's so different in each episode so I think there's lots of talk about...but no I never noticed Qin's toes were wiggling! Now, I got to go back just to check it out :lol

I liked the fact that they zoomed in on Fu Rong's face in the forest scene. Remember when she said warmth was the scariest quality in the family..(maybe that's later), well, this is an outward expression of caring for a family member.

habukie
AiRen
AiRen

Post by habukie » Aug 18th, '04, 05:25

^^wow, can't remember any of that. guess i'll have to go back and watch, too. :)

shirahime

Post by shirahime » Aug 18th, '04, 07:06

Oh I didnt notice the toe thing, but then that's one backside of watching rmvb, even the pic is clear it still can't be equal dvd-rip.
But Selina doesn't look dead when she's dead and looked pretty healthy when she suppose to be deadly sick. I guess coz she still keep so much make up on so she didn't look liveless enough. :lol

clouds421
Reviewer
Reviewer

Post by clouds421 » Aug 18th, '04, 09:14

Ep. 5

penGy

Post by penGy » Aug 18th, '04, 11:33

Random, but- Jin topless makes me cringe.. :crazy:

habukie
AiRen
AiRen

Post by habukie » Aug 18th, '04, 20:09

SPOILERS!
Random, but- Jin topless makes me cringe..
haha. he's too bony, right? oh, and speaking of topless. wasn't the scene really funny when they go to that country home and kui opens his robe in front of bai he? and kinda chases her around? i'm sure that all of you kui-lovers out there were wondering just what he was or was not wearing under that robe. :w00t:

oh, and is it just me, or is jin's face really purple in that picture?

shirahime

Post by shirahime » Aug 18th, '04, 20:24

habukie wrote:SPOILERS!
Random, but- Jin topless makes me cringe..
haha. he's too bony, right? oh, and speaking of topless. wasn't the scene really funny when they go to that country home and kui opens his robe in front of bai he? and kinda chases her around? i'm sure that all of you kui-lovers out there were wondering just what he was or was not wearing under that robe. :w00t:

oh, and is it just me, or is jin's face really purple in that picture?
I'm sure Kui's wearing a boxer shorts under but then...I have a better picture in my head :P

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Aug 18th, '04, 21:05

ahh, that picture reminded me one more thing I noticed from that scene... Jin's veins that pop out from his forehead when he's crying really looks odd. :blink

On another note, I enjoyed episode 6 immensely. God, Kui is hilarious. =)

penGy

Post by penGy » Aug 18th, '04, 22:00

Kui wore his silk trousers/pants underneath the robe, you could see it. lol.
I found it cute when he was seeing if he actually likes Bai He by trying to hug her while she's sleeping on the chairs by the door. Aww.. ^^

Not only is Jin bony, he has no definition! lol. And he has a patch of hair in between his chest that is just, ewww. *shudders*

shirahime

Post by shirahime » Aug 18th, '04, 22:53

penGy wrote:Kui wore his silk trousers/pants underneath the robe, you could see it. lol.
I found it cute when he was seeing if he actually likes Bai He by trying to hug her while she's sleeping on the chairs by the door. Aww.. ^^

Not only is Jin bony, he has no definition! lol. And he has a patch of hair in between his chest that is just, ewww. *shudders*
Oh you could see his silk pants??? :crazy: I'll have to take a closer look on that one :mrgreen:
...and we all love Kui :w00t: :lol

clouds421
Reviewer
Reviewer

Post by clouds421 » Aug 18th, '04, 23:04

related images!

you all saw this coming..come on, he doesn't look that bad!

then this is fu rong in the forest scene..

bludawn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by bludawn » Aug 18th, '04, 23:28

iceberri wrote:On another note, I enjoyed episode 6 immensely. God, Kui is hilarious. =)
hehe same here... i really like kui :lol
hm i don't have much to discuss yet since you've all seen the rose, and i just finished ep6 ^_^

but i'm really enjoying the series, thanks clouds & all translators for working on this!!

fantasyc

Post by fantasyc » Aug 19th, '04, 10:03

Hi everybody,

I'm new here. I love THE ROSE! I watched it sometimes in the beginning of this year and have been trying to collect everything about this series.

I have the VCD of THE MAKING OF, and really want to share with you guys if you all are interested. But being a chinese illiterate myself, I only can rip them and seed it as raw. Is there any kind soul who can help us translating it to english? It contains lots of funny scenes, touching scenes, etc. The NGs are hilarious, too.

Let me know! :P

Crystaln

Post by Crystaln » Aug 19th, '04, 13:57

OMG OMG :O I just tried this w/o being informed at all and I just felt so IN LOVE with the show, thank you all to the team for this sub-english works..

I just felt in love w Kui, he's so cute, at 1st he's so girlish for my taste but as the show progressed I just happened to fall in love w his charactor and out of patient I dl the bulk & watched (thnx to shirahime) w/o understand a word and end up craving for more lol, I kept thinking while I sleep, eat.. whole day, that's the problem when it comes to such a good drama & I couldnt understand what they said OMG OMG.. :blink
I dl the 5 & 6 right now still dling since last night, I cant wait cant wait..
thank you all again..

bludawn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by bludawn » Aug 19th, '04, 14:05

fantasyc wrote:Hi everybody,

I'm new here. I love THE ROSE! I watched it sometimes in the beginning of this year and have been trying to collect everything about this series.

I have the VCD of THE MAKING OF, and really want to share with you guys if you all are interested. But being a chinese illiterate myself, I only can rip them and seed it as raw. Is there any kind soul who can help us translating it to english? It contains lots of funny scenes, touching scenes, etc. The NGs are hilarious, too.

please upload if you can :D
subbed or unsubbed is fine w/ me.. =)
thnx for offering~~

shirahime

Post by shirahime » Aug 19th, '04, 14:15

fantasyc wrote:Hi everybody,

Yeah please upload it. I'd :wub: to see it :w00t:

OK, please don't kick me but I just saw that Kui (Joe Cheng) has just posted a new short message to his fans on his official site today (19 august)

----
哇哈哈 今天惡作劇之吻劇組 幫我們安排了網球魔鬼訓練營 哇哈哈 我望網球小王子 打網球打的真爽 好久沒有痛快流汗囉 好久沒有這麼陽光囉 呵呵 陽光少年也 哈哈哈

ps正在享受減肥 跟肌肉酸痛的成果
------
He's talking about playing tennis with the 惡作劇之吻 crew.
.....and he's training right now to loose weight and build up some muscles.

I just can't wait to see the result :wub:

*edit* Yes Joe is shooting the serie 惡作劇之吻 right now. Somebody mentioned it's a japan manga also? Wow I really want to see this one then.
Last edited by shirahime on Aug 21st, '04, 08:22, edited 1 time in total.

penGy

Post by penGy » Aug 19th, '04, 16:27

Please post the Making Of, fantasyc. I'm sure a lot of people would like to see it. ^^

That's so sweet of Joe- leaving messages for his fans. Hehe.

Crystaln

Post by Crystaln » Aug 19th, '04, 16:29

he's such a cute, good looking guy, he's resembled Louis Koo somehow to me.
thnx for the info,
loose weight? where is it that he want to loose? I surf the net but I guessed I didnt see any of his pic that showed that he had gained weight lol, but building muscles is a must to him :mrgreen:

habukie
AiRen
AiRen

Post by habukie » Aug 20th, '04, 01:01

that was a very interesting post, shirahime! 惡作劇之吻 happens to be the chinese title for "itazura na kiss"! i wonder if they're trying to make a chinese remake of it, possibly with joe as naoki, the cool, amazingly smart and talented lead? i can't really see him in that role, but that's b/c i really love takashi kashiwabara in the role so much! :wub:

please upload the "making of" if you can, fantasyc. of course i think many would prefer subs, but if you're a big fan of the drama, even raw can be just as good. at lealst that's what people wrote, when i uploaded the meteor garden NGs. :D

duckie

Post by duckie » Aug 20th, '04, 02:18

I'm 100% addicted to The Rose. 8)

Thanks Clouds421& team! :wub:

clouds421
Reviewer
Reviewer

Post by clouds421 » Aug 20th, '04, 02:39

Crystaln wrote:OMG OMG :O I just tried this w/o being informed at all and I just felt so IN LOVE with the show, thank you all to the team for this sub-english works..

I just felt in love w Kui, he's so cute, at 1st he's so girlish for my taste but as the show progressed I just happened to fall in love w his charactor and out of patient I dl the bulk & watched (thnx to shirahime) w/o understand a word and end up craving for more lol, I kept thinking while I sleep, eat.. whole day, that's the problem when it comes to such a good drama & I couldnt understand what they said OMG OMG.. :blink
I dl the 5 & 6 right now still dling since last night, I cant wait cant wait..
thank you all again..
Oh, wow, this is major obssession :P

chinkyangel

Post by chinkyangel » Aug 20th, '04, 14:35

Hahaha ya'll are crazy :P i must say i do like Kui too :D the rose is one of the best chinese dramas i've ever seen

Crystaln

Post by Crystaln » Aug 20th, '04, 18:01

Im seriously ill addicted to this show ha ha at 1st (after surf teh net & description of the story) it's was like this is such a taboo ewwww I dont know if I can stand this but it's getting to me and I become very terrible of thinking it's ok for the way Kui is gross bleh bleh... I meant the charactor got some mental problem in his mind ha ha but thnx god he become normal at the end so it's ok to watch to see how he exposed to the new relationships/reality just happened to be in his path to become a more mature man ... I just like Kui..he acted so well for a new comer, hope he'll suceed in the future, he's such a good actor..
I finally watched 5 & 6 now I understand more why did Kui just slowly , unkowingly falling in love w Baihe, she's pretty cute thou. It;s so funny when he was trying to figure out if he likes her at all ha ha .. anxiously to understand more I cant wait to see and fully understanding what his reaction will be when he found out that She's not related to his mom at all.. :)

and yeah Quin's feet were moving when she's frozen dead ha ha

bludawn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by bludawn » Aug 20th, '04, 20:05

Crystaln wrote:Im seriously ill addicted to this show ha ha at 1st (after surf teh net & description of the story) it's was like this is such a taboo ewwww I dont know if I can stand this but it's getting to me and I become very terrible of thinking it's ok for the way Kui is gross bleh bleh... I meant the charactor got some mental problem in his mind ha ha but thnx god he become normal at the end so it's ok to watch to see how he exposed to the new relationships/reality just happened to be in his path to become a more mature man ... I just like Kui..he acted so well for a new comer, hope he'll suceed in the future, he's such a good actor..
I finally watched 5 & 6 now I understand more why did Kui just slowly , unkowingly falling in love w Baihe, she's pretty cute thou. It;s so funny when he was trying to figure out if he likes her at all ha ha .. anxiously to understand more I cant wait to see and fully understanding what his reaction will be when he found out that She's not related to his mom at all.. :)

:O pls be careful w/ spoilers.. i just changed the text color on that part..

o is there more to it then?
Last edited by bludawn on Aug 20th, '04, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.

shirahime

Post by shirahime » Aug 20th, '04, 21:07

Crystaln wrote:Im seriously ill addicted to this show ha ha at 1st (after surf teh net & description of the story) it's was like this is such a taboo ewwww I dont know if I can stand this but it's getting to me and I become very terrible of thinking it's ok for the way Kui is gross bleh bleh... I meant the charactor got some mental problem in his mind ha ha but thnx god he become normal at the end so it's ok to watch to see how he exposed to the new relationships/reality just happened to be in his path to become a more mature man ... I just like Kui..he acted so well for a new comer, hope he'll suceed in the future, he's such a good actor..

I see that you haven't figured it all out yet my dear :P

Calcifer
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Calcifer » Aug 20th, '04, 22:22

Hehe, I'm not yet done with this series yet; I'm on Ep 6...

I liked Kui from the very beginning. Ahhhh, Chinese guys with long hair. Modern movies, ancient series, whatever: they got long hair, they got my attention. And Kui's hair is so stunningly long, shiny BLACK, undyed hair, too. :wub:

I also feel for him, as he's unsure of his emotions for his sibs...or half sibs. Or whatever... :| The plot's a bit confusing for me at the moment, I'm still trying to figure out where the story's going. Who's who's parents? I haven't looked at all the English subs yet, I'm just watching the bulk file and reading the Chinese subs to try and see what they're saying; they mumble a lot and speak really softly so it's hard to hear them sometimes.

Jing (or is it Jin?) is pretty handsome, and he almost kinda looks half Caucasian like he's supposed to be in the show. Anyone know the actor's background?

This is another idol drama I'm glad I've seen, which sadly I can't say for such ones as Poor Prince and Love Storm. Bleech. Mangas are often really stupid and lame, but I'm glad the good storylines can be salvaged and made into quality, believable series. Hope they keep it up!

If anyone would like a translation of the making of VCD thing, or NGs or whatever, I could give it a shot. I subbed Meteor Garden 1 for my friends and did the last VCD disc with the making of and NGs as well, so I've done things like this before. If it's already been uploaded, let me know so I can dl it; I'm not always caught up on when things have been put out.

I don't know if I'd say The Rose is better than any other I've seen, but so far it's high on my list of excellent series. Thanks for uploading and I'm looking forward to the ending...hope it's a happy one :)

Crystaln

Post by Crystaln » Aug 20th, '04, 22:38

[quote="shirahime I see that you haven't figured it all out yet my dear :P[/quote]

OOPS I didnt mean to spoil, no I havent figured it out yet rrrrggh, w/o English I am so dumb :crazy:

the story is complicate and very interesting, some other idol serie I just watch 1st ep & then give up, this one even w/o understand a word they said :-( I just cant stop thinking abt it... Im so pathetic ha ha

shirahime

Post by shirahime » Aug 20th, '04, 22:52

Crystaln wrote:[quote="shirahime I see that you haven't figured it all out yet my dear :P

OOPS I didnt mean to spoil, no I havent figured it out yet rrrrggh, w/o English I am so dumb :crazy:

the story is complicate and very interesting, some other idol serie I just watch 1st ep & then give up, this one even w/o understand a word they said :-( I just cant stop thinking abt it... Im so pathetic ha ha
He he there's more to the twist, you'll see when read the subs. I don't know if it help since you said you don't understand the language at all but there's a scene in the kitchen with Fu Rong, Por Por and the Mom. You'll find more info in that part.I swear I haven't spoil the movie for you ppl out there :mrgreen: But I'll mark the line in different color just in case
:P

shirahime

Post by shirahime » Aug 21st, '04, 08:29

habukie wrote:that was a very interesting post, shirahime! 惡作劇之吻 happens to be the chinese title for "itazura na kiss"! i wonder if they're trying to make a chinese remake of it, possibly with joe as naoki, the cool, amazingly smart and talented lead? i can't really see him in that role, but that's b/c i really love takashi kashiwabara in the role so much! :wub:

please upload the "making of" if you can, fantasyc. of course i think many would prefer subs, but if you're a big fan of the drama, even raw can be just as good. at lealst that's what people wrote, when i uploaded the meteor garden NGs. :D
I went back to his site and there, it says that he's shooting the serie right now. :lol

Crystaln

Post by Crystaln » Aug 21st, '04, 22:03

While waiting for the next eps w English I rewathed 6, the dialogues were so hilarious, so funny when Baihe recommend for the jin's club, and when Kui & furong had a conversation he said that she wer so bored and go insane ... ha ha .. thnx for the translations guy else I'll never be able to get them, very appreciate the works :)

shirahime- I dling the "nine ball" right now, do you know if I can find the descriptions/summary or any place that talk abt it or can u create another thread & talk abt it :wub: thank you..

Astargatis

Post by Astargatis » Aug 21st, '04, 22:55

You know you have it bad for a series when you start checking the site three or more times a day to see if the new eps. are out yet, and also when they are released you shut down ALL 29 of your other downloads just so it will load fast.

There's been a lot off good series out lately, but this is really one of my top three right now. Been awhile since I've enjoyed a show this much!

And as to the guys, I'll admit it, I think Jin is amazing... That dent in his top lip.... :wub: However the kid that plays him when he was younger? No way he could ever grow up to be that cute.

Also, anyone know of any good S.H.E. sites?? Also is this Ella's first drama, or has she done anything else?

habukie
AiRen
AiRen

Post by habukie » Aug 22nd, '04, 00:54

shirahime wrote:
habukie wrote:that was a very interesting post, shirahime! 惡作劇之吻 happens to be the chinese title for "itazura na kiss"! i wonder if they're trying to make a chinese remake of it, possibly with joe as naoki, the cool, amazingly smart and talented lead? i can't really see him in that role, but that's b/c i really love takashi kashiwabara in the role so much! :wub:

I went back to his site and there, it says that he's shooting the serie right now. :lol
haha. thanks for checking. i actually read about it online after i posted and i saw an article today in the newspaper about it, too. i checked the website of the tv station, too, but i can't find any info about it. :D pretty crazy, huh? anyways, after thinking about it, he might be able to pull it off. though i'm not sure if his costar can take the shoes of the girl who originally played kotoko. it just won't be the same without her calling, "irie-kun!" all the time. :)

Crystalflower

Post by Crystalflower » Aug 22nd, '04, 15:21

Heyhey peeps! Anyone remember this scene?

hahaha... so cute :lol
My cousin made it for our SHE forum. aaaah Kui and Bai he are soo cute!

Crystaln

Post by Crystaln » Aug 22nd, '04, 16:23

Awww so cute, Kui is so sexy... omg so sexy ha ha

shirahime

Post by shirahime » Aug 22nd, '04, 17:26

penGy wrote:Also, I dunno if the episodes shown on tv are different to the dvdrips, but in that bulk download, up to ep 19, they were all vcd/dvd-rips, but 20+ were tv-rips.. And at the end of ep19, Hebe was still there, but in ep20, she was gone, Kui and Bai He looked as though they were gonna do the horrible deed, por por was back working in the house, and Jin had already released his book.. So I think I'm missing an episode. lol.
*spoilers*

Just found the missing eps in the batch. Here is the missing part:
Jin won first price for a novel and where ask to become a writer, he got popular so fans were disturbing him at the house that's why he moved. But also because he now wants to get away from BAi He so when they meet again he can see her as a woman instead of a sister.
When they met again it was at Jin's new house. Jin had a fever and was starving so he called for Bai He. After that incident Bai He got the key to his house and goes there every weekend to cook and clean for him.
Jin even gave Bai He a necklace and kissed her so I guess he has acknowledge his love for her.

The second missing eps: Kui finds out that his blood type is not the same as his dads which means that he and Bai He is not blood related. Hence the bed scene at the villa. That plus that Jin stated that he can't possibly forget about Qin so he pushed Bai He in the arms of Kui. At the end of this eps it turned out that the information Kui got was incorrect, he's Bai He blood related brother after all so Jin went to the villa to stop them.

So actually there're 2 missing eps in the batch ^_^;;;

Kai Lien
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Kai Lien » Aug 24th, '04, 02:35

Crystaln wrote:Awww so cute, Kui is so sexy... omg so sexy ha ha
When I first saw Kui I thought he was a lunatic! But then I kept watching and I am really growing to love him. He has a unique personality that turns people off, but I can't help but to like him. he he. :lol :wub:

rainidy
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rainidy » Aug 24th, '04, 02:46

seems like alot of people are fans of Kui now. He's so funny :D

duckie

Post by duckie » Aug 24th, '04, 02:50

I really find the part where Kui hits Bai He and said "Dreaming?" very funny. :lol

lbhismyoppa

Post by lbhismyoppa » Aug 24th, '04, 03:22

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: OMG --> KUI IS SO CUTE... i JUST FINISHED EPS 6... AND DID THEY REALLY HAVE TO STRIP NAKED??? :blink :blink :blink THE PART WAS HILARIOUS BUT THE SCENE DID NOT MAKE SENSE... I MEAN.. IF SOMEONE IS BURNING UP WITH A FEVER AND YOU COVER THEM WITH MORE BLANKETS... WOULDN'T THAT MAKE THEM MORE SICK??? :blink :blink :blink JUST WONDERING...

LOVE KUI --HE IS SO IRRESISTIBLE!!! :wub: :wub: :wub:

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Aug 24th, '04, 03:27

When you're sick, you're supposed to be bundled up with blankets even though you'll most likely sweat. Because the heater broke, body heat (without clothes) is the warmest thing one person can provide to another. So yeah, they're right technically. The dialogue in the scene is just a bit awkward though, making it seem a bit unbelievable... still, funny stuff. :lol

Crystaln

Post by Crystaln » Aug 24th, '04, 03:59

:unsure: Where did he learn to act like that, w that seductive look OMG he turned me on wah wake me up Im still dreaming ha ha
he's so good at making us all going crazy or is it just me so obssessed :cry: I need a life..
just 'cause of the waiting for the next eps to be release, I've been traumatized by you all ha ha :D
happy happy dling right now, thanks you guys

b0ba

Post by b0ba » Aug 24th, '04, 04:23

:O :O i jus finish watching 7.. wowow.. i cant belive they =Pd= LOL! !
-hahaha.. kui is so funny.. i love it when they r fighting.. jus too funny..
- :crazy: how can it end like dat!!!!!! lol cant 4 for 8 :P

mokospeed

Re: The Rose - discussion thread

Post by mokospeed » Aug 24th, '04, 04:36

shirahime wrote:I just love this drama. Wonder if such a complex family relation exist in real life?
Ever watch the infamous American talk show by Jerry Springer? :O

BTW, I'm enjoying this drama

clouds421
Reviewer
Reviewer

Re: The Rose - discussion thread

Post by clouds421 » Aug 24th, '04, 04:49

mokospeed wrote:Ever watch the infamous American talk show by Jerry Springer? :O

BTW, I'm enjoying this drama
No, you didn't just compare this to that freak show!!

AHH!!

--

also, how come we haven't heard from Jin lovers? He's rather sweet, too :)

--

last thing, working on a website : http://therose.fateback.com

Fans welcomed to do bios, add news, write reviews..etc., nothing much to see right now, still under construction. Nothing fancy, since it's my first real website. See the awful lack of graphics..
Last edited by clouds421 on Aug 31st, '04, 00:39, edited 3 times in total.

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Aug 24th, '04, 04:55

Jin is sweet too, though Kui is infinitely more hilarious. However, I did want to huggle Jin when he threatened to whack that guy with a vacuum.. :lol :lol Jin's sweet.. it's just that his acting isn't as... distinctive as Kui's. =DDDD

duckie

Post by duckie » Aug 24th, '04, 05:49

<--- Jin's fan!!! :lol

His role in My Puppy Lover, is soo funny. So different from The Rose.
:lol 8)

Must watch My Puppy Lover Jin's fan!! :w00t: