Korean pop star on The O.C.??

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.

Do you think Korean pop stars should gain popularity in the U.S., by appearing on trashy American tv shows?

Yes
11%
No
36%
Whatever makes them popular is fine with me.
26%
Whatever makes them popular is fine with me.
26%

Total votes: 88

bLaCkNbLuE

Korean pop star on The O.C.??

Post by bLaCkNbLuE » Apr 26th, '06, 03:20

What is this? I just saw an ad on FOX for the next episode of The O.C., which claimed to have a "Korean pop star" on its special prom episode. :shocked:

Of course this grabbed my ear, and I immediately wondered, "Which Korean pop star would really try to gain popularity in the U.S. by being on a show like that?!?" :scratch:

Thankfully, after a little Googling, I found that it is just some actor pretending to be a Korean pop star. :doh:

Don't get me wrong, I would love for Korean pop culture to gain mainstream popularity in the U.S., but not like that. :thumbdown:

What does everyone else think? :P

bugsie

Post by bugsie » Apr 26th, '06, 03:26

there's no problem with that, anyone can do an impersonation of anyone.

luith

Post by luith » Apr 26th, '06, 03:32

Ahh, I think it is lame. They are better than "trashy sitcoms" and shouldn't have to lower themselves to impress people from other countries. If they want worldwide popularity, the people from other parts of the world should like them for what they're doing already. Takeshi Kitano shouldn't play in a Lifetime movie (aaaaaaahahaha, but that would be funnny), but in a role for a movie in theaters.

Personally, I think that the best way (not the easiest, but the best as far as reputation and "keeping real") would be to import more Asian movies and more Asian music. Not play in their movies and sing in their language, but show the people their actual works. Anyone else agree? :whistling:

Ssang

Post by Ssang » Apr 26th, '06, 03:56

Except for the sensational (eg gory anime, martial arts flicks) asian pop culture has no business in American mainstream. That's something of an objective fact considering how Asians comprise less than 4% of the total American population. What business does it have there? There's no reason for it. American pop culture is actually homogenous, and has always been, aside from the occasional Spanish diva or singer.

In general, I'd like to see less fruity asian Americans on tv. Can you imagine what it would be like if various actors in Asia were in American tv? Even the more ordinary actors like Cha Myeong Jeong (Goodbye Solo). There'd be a lot of fangirls around and different attitudes would develop. (John Cho is not bad, however.)

I was watching King Kong recently and was disappointed to see a stereotypical asian guy in the movie. I mean, it's 2006 and Hollywood is still casting shallow asian characters in their movies. These characters are barely human or go beyond the 2 dimensional stereotype. It amazes me. And even those asian characters in movies with more flesh about them (that guy in The Goonies and Indian Jones, for instance) still get typecast. They speak English with goofy accents or something and everyone makes fun of them.

This guy playing a "Korean pop star" may not be different from the above. But I'm thinking, even if his role is a caricature, an object of ridicule in the show- not sure- it may not be totally bad since he's being presented as a celebrity of a different nation, rather than a subhuman asian who barely fits the mold of a human person. But it depends. I'll need to see the show.

Childhoodless

Post by Childhoodless » Apr 26th, '06, 05:20

Ssang wrote:Except for the sensational (eg gory anime, martial arts flicks) asian pop culture has no business in American mainstream. That's something of an objective fact considering how Asians comprise less than 4% of the total American population. What business does it have there? There's no reason for it. American pop culture is actually homogenous, and has always been, aside from the occasional Spanish diva or singer.

I was watching King Kong recently and was disappointed to see a stereotypical asian guy in the movie. I mean, it's 2006 and Hollywood is still casting shallow asian characters in their movies. These characters are barely human or go beyond the 2 dimensional stereotype. It amazes me. And even those asian characters in movies with more flesh about them (that guy in The Goonies and Indian Jones, for instance) still get typecast. They speak English with goofy accents or something and everyone makes fun of them.
How can you be "amazed" by the fact that Asians are portrayed as gross stereotypes when you yourself know that Asians make up only 4% of the American population, and you even said that American pop culture is homogenous. It's because of such things that Asians will rarely be shown as anything but poor English speaking, know martial arts, and never EVER have a romantic lead (with the exceptions of of Better Luck Tomorrow and Harold and Kumar).

The Asian population is among the smallest minority in America, so its voice is rarely heard (when compared to African Americans or Latino Americans, which make up a larger minority). And since the Asian culture in general tends not to speak out, it's even more rare to hear Asians complaining about the current status quo.

And Hollywood, as trendsetting and hip as it is, is really run by a small knit group of old fashioned people. It's practically an oligopoly of studios and talent agencies. And it's still run with a lot of racist viewpoints.

And with lackadaisical attitudes towards Asians and American pop culture, I doubt we'll see a major Asian American male star (it's a totally different thing with the female Asian Americans) rise up to be as big as the Denzel Washingtons and George Clooneys.

amrayu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by amrayu » Apr 26th, '06, 06:11

Are you talking about this guy?
[img]http://www.justjared.com/images/2006/04 ... the-oc.jpg[/img]

NinaS

Post by NinaS » Apr 26th, '06, 06:21

Ssang, don't you think you are being a little negative with your point of view???
saying, "asian pop culture has no business in American mainstream" is kind of ignorant(I don't mean to be rude) considering the fact that asian pop culture influences American pop culture and vice versa. Hmmm? lets recall all the American remakes of Japanese horror films. Also, worst movie ever to be coming out! Fast and the Furious 3-Tokyo drift. Gwen Stefani's odd obbession with Japanese Harajuku and pop culture. There are other examples, but too annoying to list. Asian culture influences American culture a lot and its pretty obvious. So, you can't say that it doesn't belong when it is already there.
Yeah! we get stereotyped a lot in Hollywood, but i'm not offended that much. Besides, (us) asians stereotype eachother the most. I attend a University in Canada, and trust me Canada has a huge population of asians(majority are international too). In general minorities tend to stick within their own ethnicity, because its just more easier to fit in that way(especially) asians. Koreans stick with koreans/chinese stick with chinese/Japanese stick with Japanese/English speaking asians stick with english speaking asians. I'm not saying this is true with everyone, especially me. But, one thing i know is that when it comes to stereotyping, asians stereotype eachother the most. CBC's are Canadian born Chinese, FOB's(everyone knows what that is), you got your gangsta asians, Nerd asians, etc. its all the same in Canada and America. All i can say is that "I'm proud to be asian, especially being a mixed asian too!"

Ssang

Post by Ssang » Apr 26th, '06, 06:44

Influence is a different issue from celebs and dramas or music set in asian languages being a part of mainstream america. Anyone (any asian) who doesn't see something off about that idea simply doesn't have perspective and needs to realize how rather small the asian population in America (USA) really is.

Anyway do you think stuff like "Harajuku" girls aren't just cultural oddities the way freaks or clowns in a circus were in their day? There is a difference in degree, sure, but not of kind. Such girls are odd "ethnic" things, rather than their own individuals with emotions, loves, and longings, of their own. And there's a reason why such horror movies are usually remade rather than released.

Americans are interested in the exciting, the freaky, and the extreme. Sometimes they import it directly (in the case of anime and ma film), but where it's possible they remake it. Otherwise they keep a few of such for pets.
How can you be "amazed" by the fact that Asians are portrayed as gross stereotypes when you yourself know that Asians make up only 4% of the American population, and you even said that American pop culture is homogenous.
Because it's the year 2006 and the world is supposed to be much much smaller than it's ever been. In a liberal, information age, the makeup of domestic populations isn't supposed to factor in as much culturally, or so I would think.

Chibimitsuki

Post by Chibimitsuki » Apr 26th, '06, 06:55

LOL
I did the exact same thing tonight when I was watching House....
>O<
Got excited for nothing!!!

evilz3ph

Post by evilz3ph » Apr 26th, '06, 07:11

Now that's a show we should be talking about...House is the **** :D

pdk001

Post by pdk001 » Apr 26th, '06, 07:30

The O.C is my favorite U.S drama and i finished watching the season 1

bLaCkNbLuE

Post by bLaCkNbLuE » Apr 26th, '06, 11:34

amrayu wrote:Are you talking about this guy?
Yeah, it was that guy.

luith

Post by luith » Apr 26th, '06, 21:10

NinaS wrote:Ssang, don't you think you are being a little negative with your point of view???
saying, "asian pop culture has no business in American mainstream" is kind of ignorant(I don't mean to be rude) considering the fact that asian pop culture influences American pop culture and vice versa. Hmmm? lets recall all the American remakes of Japanese horror films. Also, worst movie ever to be coming out! Fast and the Furious 3-Tokyo drift. Gwen Stefani's odd obbession with Japanese Harajuku and pop culture. There are other examples, but too annoying to list. Asian culture influences American culture a lot and its pretty obvious.
While Asian culture does influence American culture, it does it in a way that nobody notices. No one here knows where anything comes from. Everyone here thinks of it as a unique thing that America started. (When I say here, I mean in my part of Florida, among teenagers my age who loudly voice their opinions. So I am not generalizing. I am just repeating their ignorance. In no way am I generalizing a population of a whole country. Just my area, who volunteers their feelings.) A lot of people think movies like The Saw excel limits when it comes to being viewed in theaters, and The Ring was so scary. But not all know about Japanese cinema and the extremes it reaches (like Suicide Club, a basic example). Some don't even know The Ring and Shall We Dance were originally Japanese! Or what Fast and the Furious was influenced by. While asian culture does influence american, it does it in a way that no one notices. So to say that Asian culture influences American culture in an obvious way isn't correct.

Some kids at my school actually think the fashion they wear is 100% original, and that when Asians wear it, they are the ones copying, even when I saw this sort of fashion months ago in magazines. Or that because America had Disney first, anime is a "cartoon also" and thus a spin-off of American culture. Same goes with manga. Asian musicians are "copies" of American artists. And Asians are to be overgeneralized in television or taken not so seriously.

I understand what Ssang is saying. Perhaps it seems unethical, but you have to admit that American mainstream and Asian pop culture have no business being smashed together. With the way that people here look at it, everything would be thought of as copying and laughed at. There aren't a lot of internatonal film festivals, because a lot of people don't like reading subtitles, in the first place. Many, maanny times people ask me how on earth I could love music I can't even understand (one of the most ignorant questions, in my opinion!). Anyway, if so many people like carbon copied Hollywood movies, why not let them keep it? Do you really want to throw great actors and actresses from Asia into American television? I personally find American TV boring... but love Korean TV... Why would I want to combine them?

LYF7anatic

Post by LYF7anatic » Apr 27th, '06, 02:40

luith wrote: Many, maanny times people ask me how on earth I could love music I can't even understand (one of the most ignorant questions, in my opinion!).
That's me, I listen to some music from different languages that I don't even understand. This planet might be small but there are many things to explore. :lol

PopGilligan

Post by PopGilligan » Apr 27th, '06, 02:47

Ssang wrote: In general, I'd like to see less fruity asian Americans on tv. Can you imagine what it would be like if various actors in Asia were in American tv? Even the more ordinary actors like Cha Myeong Jeong (Goodbye Solo). There'd be a lot of fangirls around and different attitudes would develop. (John Cho is not bad, however.)

Well, to be fair, some of the American actors/actresses in Asian dramas are just as stereotypical. None of them speak the language, and are construed as lazy, etc. etc. It's a cultural problem, you're right. But, it definetely goes both ways. And, this problem isn't just between America and Asia. It's a problem in Europe as well, and I can only assume in Africa, etc (although I've only seen a few African films).

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Apr 27th, '06, 04:02

lol i thought it would be rain..

i don't think o.c's trashy.... well i don't really watch it. sometimes it's interesting

yummiekiwi

Post by yummiekiwi » Apr 27th, '06, 04:55

I think Asians in American entertainment is normal... however I do see hollywood being very stereotypical to Asians. Taken the academy award winning movie "Crash" for instance... all of the other races.. in the movie were portaryed doing something wrong in the beginning of the movie, however in the end.. they realize their mistake and does a good deed... the asian characters in the movie first got ran over.. hospitalized and a bunch of asian immigrants were found in their truck...not even once were they portaryed as "good".. on top of all of that it was a Korean couple who played the role however... they were repeatedly called "Chinese" or "Chinamen"... much to say... many Americans think because the United States is a first world country they automatically think they are better.. and that the rest of the world is just copying them.

AHh to ease the mood hehe this clip is hilarious!!
John Cho and Bobby Lee ROCKS!!!...

luith

Post by luith » Apr 28th, '06, 01:13

Aaaaahahaha. I'm watching the episode now. "He has a band called Big Korea! And he was a model for anime characters!"

OvertheRainbow

Post by OvertheRainbow » Apr 28th, '06, 01:18

Did they stress the fact that there is going to be a korean person on the O.C? I don't watch the O.C, I think it's kind of stupid but I know a lot of people who love it.

luith

Post by luith » Apr 28th, '06, 01:24

It's playing right now. They haven't shown the guy yet, but they've talked about him. Played his "kpop music". Aaaaaaaahahahaaaa.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Apr 28th, '06, 01:26

Maggie Cheung actually just starred in a movie where not only she was the star, but the most unstereotypical asian role (recovering drug addict whose husband left her receiving help from her white father in law) as I have every seen. Saying asians have NO role in pop culture in the US is asinine. What about Sanda Oh in Sideways and on TV? What about the folk singer Suzy Suh? James Iha of the Smashing Pumpkins? Rain wants to be famous in the US, is he not allowed? Zhang Yiyi is getting huge respect as an actress, not just an asian.

:goggle: Methinks you need to open your eyes. I'm spanish, and i HATE a lot of the portrayals of puerto ricans, so i dont buy it. Dont see it, dont spend money, and complain when i can. I suggest you do the same.

When you look for negative, you will find it.

marvelous
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by marvelous » Apr 28th, '06, 01:52

I just saw OC...

That sh!t was so stupid.... He was some chinese guy... Not even korean... :crazy:

Stereotypical view of some asian dude...

If Rain came out there you white girls would scream his name too... :cry:

bLaCkNbLuE

Post by bLaCkNbLuE » Apr 28th, '06, 03:02

For lack of anything else being on TV tonight (and curiosity of how badly they would stereotype this character), I watched this crap tonight, also. :thumbdown:

The "pop star" acted like a total dumbass who couldn't pose for a normal picture... or dance. :dance:

His date kept calling him "BIG KOREA". She couldn't be bothered to learn his name? Please! She treated him like some puppy or a three-year old, I'm not sure which. :pale:

He eventually just left. Good for him. :clap:

I should have spent that hour of my life watching drama. Shame on me for wasting my time watching that ****. :doh:

darkangst

Post by darkangst » Apr 28th, '06, 03:02

Hahahha ,but don't you he looks like the unattractive double of ..the girly guy in My girl.. Junki?

and he was chinese? I thought we were over that already.. oh wait, the whole Geisha thing..

And i don't think Zhang whatever is a good actress at all.... Sandra Oh and all those others in Joy Luck Club were....

Mainstream Asian shows/stars if you want, it's happening to manga and anime, and wheeee look at all the censoring and editing.

However, since Asian people have just about beat the "white" people at their own game , you know baseball, basketball etc. etc. Hm, those are just sports.. :
:glare: Ehhh Asian stars should take over.. if only one was really really fluent in english and was typical. Solar was perfect except Europe didn't accept them....

And many people here in the Us go back to their ethnic/native country to act when they were born, raised, and went to college here or an english speaking country. What does that say about the chances of Asian making it big?

Kookie315

Post by Kookie315 » Apr 28th, '06, 04:07

darkangst wrote:And many people here in the Us go back to their ethnic/native country to act when they were born, raised, and went to college here or an english speaking country. What does that say about the chances of Asian making it big?
I don't get this. What does it mean?

yummiekiwi

Post by yummiekiwi » Apr 28th, '06, 04:38

That was.. I'm speechless... damn...I don't really know where to begin but it made me laugh at the fact that people are so stupid... it's the OC.. I don't really expect much from it aside from rich white kids getting stoned and drunk...and complaining how their life is so hard..

bLaCkNbLuE

Post by bLaCkNbLuE » Apr 28th, '06, 04:45

yummiekiwi wrote:That was.. I'm speechless... damn...I don't really know where to begin but it made me laugh at the fact that people are so stupid... it's the OC.. I don't really expect much from it aside from rich white kids getting stoned and drunk...and complaining how their life is so hard..
I agree..... at least we can escape that BS show (and most of American tv) here at d-addicts :heart:

yummiekiwi

Post by yummiekiwi » Apr 28th, '06, 04:46

Yes!! lets go n watch some quality dramas!!!! =D

dEvIlDuDe

Post by dEvIlDuDe » Apr 28th, '06, 04:53

man you guys are ahead of it.. just passed by OC show while flippin thru channels and saw the guy and yeh I thot hes a korean guy 1st hair and the black haired chick is callin him Korea.. so yeh ... poor guy looked very very very stupid in that show.. even the extras probably laughin their ass off after taping that show...
good thing i didnt start a new thread bout it heh browsin first is always a good idea heh

LYF7anatic

Post by LYF7anatic » Apr 28th, '06, 05:09

yummiekiwi wrote:Yes!! lets go n watch some quality dramas!!!! =D
What some quality dramas do you recommend? I have only 1 episode left to download for Full House (iCEDRAMA 700MB version). :D

Childhoodless

Post by Childhoodless » Apr 28th, '06, 05:24

nikochanr3 wrote:Maggie Cheung actually just starred in a movie where not only she was the star, but the most unstereotypical asian role (recovering drug addict whose husband left her receiving help from her white father in law) as I have every seen. Saying asians have NO role in pop culture in the US is asinine. What about Sanda Oh in Sideways and on TV? What about the folk singer Suzy Suh? James Iha of the Smashing Pumpkins? Rain wants to be famous in the US, is he not allowed? Zhang Yiyi is getting huge respect as an actress, not just an asian.
With the exception of James Iha (musicians are different from actors, which is partly why most of them fail when they attempt a media crossover), you've named females only.

Asian actresses is a TOTALLY different aspect of the issue. People are always talking about how difficult it is for actresses, because there's such a high demand for beauty, sexual charisma, and youth, whereas people as old (and wrinkled) as Tommy Lee Jones and Donald Sutherland are still in high demand, where their physical appearance isn't as focused upon.

And rightly so. Beauty is something of a necessity in Hollywood. And there's where we get to Asians. Asians are still pretty much the "Oriental," the exotic cultural other to America. Asian females, at least in the stereotypes that Americans tend to believe, are submissive to their man, as well as exotic and alluring. In essence, Hollywood's got yellow fever, where any woman who's Asian is almost always beautiful. And this is something they want to exploit.

Tell me, did Sandra Oh ever get it on with another Asian actor in any of her roles? Who did the girl in The Last Samurai eventually fall for? There's still a prevalent "Manifest Destiny" and "Conquer Asia" mentality in many of these films that have Asian content. It's always the Asian woman, who's exotic with her light skin and dark hair, who is taken in by the white man. You don't see Jackie Chan taking a strong romantic lead in any of the films he's done in America.

It's still a hard journey for Asian American actors, as well as any other non-Caucasian actors. There's still a lot of racial profiling in casting, which can prevent people getting the roles they want.

The only person who's managed to break through the stereotype so far (that I know of) is Lucy Liu. In Charlie's Angels, her role was not one specifically meant for an Asian. Also, in the recent movie, Lucky Number Slevin, Liu's role was not specified as Asian.

However, with 2 new projects Liu's trying to put together, she's going set the Asian American acting population back. She's currently planning a comedy about Asian mail order brides, and a take on the very racially discriminatory Charlie Chan series. Neither of those films inspire confidence that Asian Americans will make any headway in racial equality.

The MadTv sketches of "Average Asian" are funny, but they also show a truth to America's ignorance. It's still a racial prejudice they're placing on the Asian American community, although not as harsh as it was for African Americans or Latino Americans. But we're still seen as almost sub-human. People are amazed when we can speak English, and look at us as if we just fell off the boat.

And the media does purport this, with few roles where the Asians are just regular American people, and many roles where the Asians are fobs with great martial arts skills (but can never seem to beat up Steven Seagal or any other Caucasian protagonists in action films).

darkangst

Post by darkangst » Apr 28th, '06, 06:11

Kookie315 wrote:
darkangst wrote:And many people here in the Us go back to their ethnic/native country to act when they were born, raised, and went to college here or an english speaking country. What does that say about the chances of Asian making it big?
I don't get this. What does it mean?[/quote

There's the girl that was in World Finest that looks better as a guy, Michelle something. There's Flora Chan, there some girl in TVB that I forgot her name.

There's the guy, Daniel in My name is Kim Soon Sam. There's that guy who went to some music school here in Hong Kong...

There's probably others as well, and sorry that it was so badly worded, I was half asleep.]

bugsie

Post by bugsie » Apr 28th, '06, 06:37

i don't really understand why people make such a big fuss over this matter. obviously, "The O.C." was made for american audiences, so expect the main characters to be americans. so what if they used a fake korean boy band? it doesn't imply anything nor it discriminate asians. it's like in our own shows here in asia, we have asians take the lead roles and sometimes there'll be american guests who plays insignificant roles.

bLaCkNbLuE

Post by bLaCkNbLuE » Apr 28th, '06, 11:49

LYF7anatic wrote:
What some quality dramas do you recommend? I have only 1 episode left to download for Full House (iCEDRAMA 700MB version). :D
If you like Full House, I would recommend We're Dating Now and Which Star Are You From? I haven't finished either, yet (still waiting for subs on some of the later episodes), but they are both romantic dramas, both with a fair share of comedy. :tv:

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Apr 28th, '06, 12:13

I don't know what some of you people are talking about.

For those who have seen 'Meteor Garden' (almost everyone, I'd wager), did you notice what the main girl said about this American DJ she was accused of having slept with?

'I'm not as low-class as to sleep with a foreigner.'

I'd bet 100 bucks you'd never see a racist comment (from the main character you're supposed to idolize, no less) on The O.C. or any other teen show of similar signifance to young America as you've seen on this huge Asian hit. Maybe it was also bad translating, I'm not sure.

I'm not trying to defend some Hollywood flicks. I do agree that the stereotyping of Asian males as nerdy, sexless martial artists and the objectifying as 'oriental, exotic trophies' of Asian females is not justifiable at all - both are sad examples of racial stereotyping and cliched characterizing. I'm merely trying to say that some Asian dramas are sometimes not any better.

itzjustfranciz

Post by itzjustfranciz » Apr 28th, '06, 12:16

whatever makes dem popular is good enuff =D

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Apr 28th, '06, 12:39

There are many stereotypical hispanic and black roles too, just like asians. I stand by what i say, if you only look for negative you will find negative. Support what you like, and complain LOUDLY about what you don't like. BUt just saying THERE IS NO PLACE FOR ASIANS IN POP CULTURE and dismissing actresses (you dismissed a whole sex) strikes me as pointless. I'm still not sure what that means. Should no asians try to be popular?

And as far as pop music goes, i haven't seen one attempt at crossing over an asian artist i would qualify as good. Utada released a crappy cd that was not supported, Coco made a crappy cd (neither one sounds anything like their work in their home country either), Koda Kumi didn't even come to the US when her single was released. Am i missing things? What DESERVED to break but didn't?

I still say we need to support what we like and yell about what we don't. It's the only way things change. And it's leagues better than just resigning yourself to being dissapointed.

Ssang

Post by Ssang » Apr 28th, '06, 15:44

I for one never said that there is " no place for asians in pop culture." I said that there is no place for asian pop culture- asian stars, movies, dramas, music - in American mainstream culture (excepting Kungfu and gory anime). Anyone who doesn't realize that is overesitmating something. --- It's like mainstream Korea listening to Icelandic folk or Bangladeshi percussion. -- It's not going to happen and shouldn't happen.

As for stereotypes, blacks get far better representation in media than asians do. That's just the truth, though it's a recent development I guess. I suppose back in the 1900s or something blacks were frequently seen as Aunt Jemima or old Willy the former slave who frequently ate watermelons or some crap. But if that was true of blacks in the media a few decades ago, then I'm saying it's true of asians even now and I find that very odd.

As for White Americans in asian media, really, there's no comparison. If a white guy is portrrayed as stupid (is he ever??) in a drama, there's all the positive representation that he gets from Hollywood and Western media.

ps: The episode of the OC wasn't bad, all things considered. It was even good. I'm not sure why some of you are so upset.

AngelGurl6

Post by AngelGurl6 » Apr 28th, '06, 16:26

I don't like how you word this:
bugsie wrote:i don't really understand why people make such a big fuss over this matter. obviously, "The O.C." was made for american audiences, so expect the main characters to be americans..
Are we (people who are born in the U.S., but aren't Caucasians) not Americans too? You are generalizing that the Caucasian communities are Americans and the other ethnic minorities born in America are not Americans, but that's incorrect. If you look back in history Caucasians immigrated from Europe; they did not originate from America in the first place.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Apr 28th, '06, 16:42

Eh, big general statements like ASIAN POP CULTURE HAS NO PLACE IN AMERICAN POP CULTURE are so big as to be meaningless. :scratch: Asian pop culture is influencing movies, advertising, music, books, pretty much all over right now. I'm not getting your point. Is it that an american movie should never mention, say NAMIE AMURO or something like that?

Kookie315

Post by Kookie315 » Apr 28th, '06, 16:47

darkangst wrote:
Kookie315 wrote:
I don't get this. What does it mean?
There's the girl that was in World Finest that looks better as a guy, Michelle something. There's Flora Chan, there some girl in TVB that I forgot her name.

There's the guy, Daniel in My name is Kim Soon Sam. There's that guy who went to some music school here in Hong Kong...

There's probably others as well, and sorry that it was so badly worded, I was half asleep.]
Oh ok, thanks for clearing it up.

Kookie315

Post by Kookie315 » Apr 28th, '06, 16:56

I think it was a good idea, just to get other Americans exposed to the culture a little bit, even if it was a little stereotypical. And a friend of mine who knows I'm obsessed with Asia but isn't really herself said one of them was really hot. So at least this is getting some good reaction.

And seriously, what exactly are you expecting from The O.C.? A show about the problems of rich beautiful people? o.O

bugsie

Post by bugsie » Apr 28th, '06, 17:05

AngelGurl6 wrote: Are we (people who are born in the U.S., but aren't Caucasians) not Americans too? You are generalizing that the Caucasian communities are Americans and the other ethnic minorities born in America are not Americans, but that's incorrect. If you look back in history Caucasians immigrated from Europe; they did not originate from America in the first place.
you said you were born in the US, and you're telling us that you weren't influenced by the culture there? i'm wondering now if it's possible for things like that to happen, unless you are secluded from humanity and forbidden to interact with people there.

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Apr 28th, '06, 17:09

i don't think OC meant any harm... i thought it was kinda funny too.. HAHA Summer was so drunk!!!!

the screaming fan girls shouting "oppa" was funny as well
but yeah, it seemed rather silly that a Big korean pop star would waste his time going to a high school prom....(is that what it was?)
I only saw about 10 mins of that show, when my sis yelled at me to see who it was (hey was he chinese??)

bLaCkNbLuE

Post by bLaCkNbLuE » Apr 28th, '06, 17:19

melonyhappy wrote: the screaming fan girls shouting "oppa" was funny as well
I thought that one scene was funny, too.... Oppa! Saranghaeyo!.... Cheesy, but funny.
melonyhappy wrote:but yeah, it seemed rather silly that a Big korean pop star would waste his time going to a high school prom....(is that what it was?)
Yeah, I don't think Bi/Rain or anyone as popular as they were claiming "Big Korea" was, would be caught dead at a high school prom.

darkangst

Post by darkangst » Apr 28th, '06, 22:20

bugsie wrote:
AngelGurl6 wrote:
you said you were born in the US, and you're telling us that you weren't influenced by the culture there? i'm wondering now if it's possible for things like that to happen, unless you are secluded from humanity and forbidden to interact with people there.
I wasn't born in the US but I came here when I was 1. I dont' get most pop references at all. It's not that I was secluded or didn't have any friends, it's just that a lot of pop culture you pick up from your friends and my friends weren't the follow the trends type. Or I just plain didn't know. I mean besides the really obvious pop idols and icons, if you're not interested, why follow?

darkangst

Post by darkangst » Apr 28th, '06, 22:23

bLaCkNbLuE wrote:
melonyhappy wrote: the screaming fan girls shouting "oppa" was funny as well
I thought that one scene was funny, too.... Oppa! Saranghaeyo!.... Cheesy, but funny.
melonyhappy wrote:but yeah, it seemed rather silly that a Big korean pop star would waste his time going to a high school prom....(is that what it was?)
Yeah, I don't think Bi/Rain or anyone as popular as they were claiming "Big Korea" was, would be caught dead at a high school prom.
Heh, if his girlfriend was in high school, maybe. :D You know high school dramas.. hehe. But yeah Rain is bit old to be attending school proms...

yummiekiwi

Post by yummiekiwi » Apr 28th, '06, 23:53

AngelGurl6 wrote:I don't like how you word this:
bugsie wrote:i don't really understand why people make such a big fuss over this matter. obviously, "The O.C." was made for american audiences, so expect the main characters to be americans..
Are we (people who are born in the U.S., but aren't Caucasians) not Americans too? You are generalizing that the Caucasian communities are Americans and the other ethnic minorities born in America are not Americans, but that's incorrect. If you look back in history Caucasians immigrated from Europe; they did not originate from America in the first place.

I agree with AngelGurl6.. people who aren't caucasians are still considered Americans... you don't even have to be born in the US to be Americans.. as long as ur a citizen.. so the correct term Bugsie should've used was "Caucasian Americans" :D

Was it prom? or was it just a formal? I don't watch the OC.. although I have a friend that's obsessed with it.. she have every season and have been pressuring me into watching... haha the character I like the most in there would be Steph he's so dorky! But is it just me or do they ALL look way to old to be 17/18...I swear that main character guy Ryan/Brian...looks 27 and married with 3 kids... :mrgreen:
Last edited by yummiekiwi on Apr 29th, '06, 02:51, edited 1 time in total.

LYF7anatic

Post by LYF7anatic » Apr 29th, '06, 01:50

bLaCkNbLuE wrote:
LYF7anatic wrote:
If you like Full House, I would recommend We're Dating Now and Which Star Are You From? I haven't finished either, yet (still waiting for subs on some of the later episodes), but they are both romantic dramas, both with a fair share of comedy. :tv:
Thanks for the recommendation. Last year, I started to watch "We're Dating Now" half way through the series then stopped. I must had some really good series to watch that time. :scratch: Have you watched "All About Eve" starring Chae Rim? Another good Kdrama. :-)

bLaCkNbLuE

Post by bLaCkNbLuE » Apr 29th, '06, 02:07

LYF7anatic wrote: Thanks for the recommendation. Last year, I started to watch "We're Dating Now" half way through the series then stopped. I must had some really good series to watch that time. :scratch: Have you watched "All About Eve" starring Chae Rim? Another good Kdrama. :-)
No, I haven't watched All About Eve, yet.... It is on my list of dramas to get to someday, though :P

Saragorn
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Saragorn » Apr 29th, '06, 02:25

I almost want to see it just for the fangirl comments. :D

yummiekiwi

Post by yummiekiwi » Apr 29th, '06, 02:50

HMm I think Snow White was a pretty good drama!! haha that's my recommendation =D I personally do not have that much time to watch Dramas.. so I tend to stay away from the sad ones.. although I accidently stubble on a couple but I liked SNow white it getts better when she gets hotter =D haha

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Apr 30th, '06, 04:48

yummiekiwi wrote: Was it prom? or was it just a formal? I don't watch the OC.. although I have a friend that's obsessed with it.. she have every season and have been pressuring me into watching... haha the character I like the most in there would be Steph he's so dorky! But is it just me or do they ALL look way to old to be 17/18...I swear that main character guy Ryan/Brian...looks 27 and married with 3 kids... :mrgreen:
I think his name is Ryan? the guy with the sad puppy eyes? he doesn't look that old!!! he looks about 21ish

AngelGurl6

Post by AngelGurl6 » Apr 30th, '06, 19:07

bugsie wrote:
AngelGurl6 wrote: Are we (people who are born in the U.S., but aren't Caucasians) not Americans too? You are generalizing that the Caucasian communities are Americans and the other ethnic minorities born in America are not Americans, but that's incorrect. If you look back in history Caucasians immigrated from Europe; they did not originate from America in the first place.
Whoa, bugsie, when did I said that I wasn't influenced by the culture in the U.S.? :scratch: I think you quoted the wrong person.

mist1105

Post by mist1105 » Apr 30th, '06, 19:13

Like everyone else, I'm tired of seeing the typical Asian stereotype, which is why I absolutely LOVE Grey's Anatomy and the character Sandra Oh plays. Although she's the braniac (like asian characters are) her character is completely high maintenance, a slob, and very very blunt. I love her character. :)

yummiekiwi

Post by yummiekiwi » May 1st, '06, 22:55

melonyhappy wrote:
yummiekiwi wrote: Was it prom? or was it just a formal? I don't watch the OC.. although I have a friend that's obsessed with it.. she have every season and have been pressuring me into watching... haha the character I like the most in there would be Steph he's so dorky! But is it just me or do they ALL look way to old to be 17/18...I swear that main character guy Ryan/Brian...looks 27 and married with 3 kids... :mrgreen:
I think his name is Ryan? the guy with the sad puppy eyes? he doesn't look that old!!! he looks about 21ish
haha yes RyaN!! haha he just looks old to me to be playing a role of a 17 year old..maybe he is 18 now that a few seasons past but still it doesn't fit!! haha.. I'm weird person :lol

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » May 12th, '06, 03:57

Benjamin McKenzie is definitely too old to be authentically playing a 17-year-old. They all are, really.

scott12199

Post by scott12199 » May 12th, '06, 04:10

yummiekiwi wrote:
AngelGurl6 wrote:I don't like how you word this:

I agree with AngelGurl6.. people who aren't caucasians are still considered Americans... you don't even have to be born in the US to be Americans.. as long as ur a citizen.. so the correct term Bugsie should've used was "Caucasian Americans" :D

Was it prom? or was it just a formal? I don't watch the OC.. although I have a friend that's obsessed with it.. she have every season and have been pressuring me into watching... haha the character I like the most in there would be Steph he's so dorky! But is it just me or do they ALL look way to old to be 17/18...I swear that main character guy Ryan/Brian...looks 27 and married with 3 kids... :mrgreen:
that dude's name is seth not steph... lolz

Childhoodless

Post by Childhoodless » May 12th, '06, 04:20

Néa Vanille wrote:Benjamin McKenzie is definitely too old to be authentically playing a 17-year-old. They all are, really.
The guy is 28 years old.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1360270/

dotskie

Post by dotskie » May 13th, '06, 05:54

i don't get why u guys are arguing about this...it's just a show...what's the big deal? i actually watched that episode and i thought it was funny.

yummiekiwi

Post by yummiekiwi » May 13th, '06, 19:11

scott12199 wrote:
that dude's name is seth not steph... lolz
Haha Oops!! I don't watch the show.. that often... but I think he's so cute!! and Ryan is 28 years old Wow!!! my guess was pretty close!!! hehehe

neena

Post by neena » May 13th, '06, 20:13

i said no. i'm also from the u.s. and i think it takes a lot to make it big. with jus a k-pop star on the O.C. won't do anything. i think to catch a person's attention you have to so something totally out of this world and it has to be affective. for example, bruce lee and his kung fu...that was something new and it really amazed ppl who never knew about it. that caught their attention and it made bruce lee big. so i say that if kpop wants to make it big in the u.s. they got to make ppl from the u.s. amazed with something.

DougFunnieee

Post by DougFunnieee » May 14th, '06, 03:32

Does anyone watch Lost? The Korean couple (Jin and Sun) is AWESOME. Although I'm not Korean, they make us asians proud. :D

NinaS

Post by NinaS » Aug 1st, '06, 04:13

amrayu wrote:Are you talking about this guy?
Hahaha lol i know that guy lolz he was recentely in a Disney Channel Movie lol...Also now that i think about it. The whole korean popstar thing on the O.C. might be based off the fact that BI/Rain has made a mark in the U.S. He attended the MTV Music Awards a while ago and had a concert at Madison square Garden's beginning 2006 if a remember correctly. Ohh yeah he was also nominated for 100 most influencial of 2005 in TIME Magazine. Bi/rain is one of the only korean pop singers to be known all over the world...i think.

wai_muna

Post by wai_muna » Aug 1st, '06, 07:41

they can do anything as long as its help them to increase their popularity...it doesnt has to be US only..they can try anywhere they want..europe...russia..anywhere..wherever they think could help them gain their fans..