[Movie Discussion] Haru no Yuki

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
chiyoaiki

[Movie Discussion] Haru no Yuki

Post by chiyoaiki » Sep 1st, '05, 12:07

Is this a new movie starring Yuko Takeuchi? Sorry, I can't read Japanese.

The movie website http://www.harunoyuki.jp/.

Is there any news of her lately? Thanks.

mikomi

Post by mikomi » Sep 1st, '05, 13:14

Yes, Yuko Takeuchi is in this movie, as one of the main characters.
This movie is scheduled to show in theatres on October 29th. Here is a short synopsis of the movie:

A tragic romance based on a very famous novel by Yukio Mishima (that has actually been translated and is available in English). Also known as "Haru no Yuki" in Japanese. "Spring Snow revolves around Kiyoaki, a sort of Japanese "everyman" who is at once within and outside of mainstream Japanese society. Kiyoaki is he son of the Marquis Matsugae, a sort of nouveau-riche during the reign of the Meiji Emperor. Kiyoaki, a beautiful young man on the path to success in the new Japan, is in love with his childhood friend, Satoko, the beautiful daughter of the Ayakura family. The Ayakuras are very prominent, of higher aristocratic class than even Kiyoaki’s family, and the Matsugaes view the closeness of the families as a fortune. Kiyoaki is a moody, pensive boy who gets a thrill out of alternately rejecting and accepting Satoko’s demure advances. Eventually the Ayakuras will wait no more for Kiyoaki to make his approach for Satoko’s hand in marriage, and, faced with another offer from an impressive suitor, Satoko becomes engaged to be married.

Source: AsianCinemaDrifter

hatanaka

Post by hatanaka » Mar 7th, '06, 23:34

I cannot wait to see this movie!! I just finished the book by Yukio Mishima. It looks like it's not scheduled to be released on DVD until April 28th. But, even then it is Region 2 probably without English subs. *sigh*

Here is the synopsis by yesasia.com:

Yukisada Isao, the director of Crying Out Love, In The Center Of The World returns with another heart-breaking melodrama of epic proportions. Haru no Yuki (or Spring Snow) is set during the 1920s and tells the story of Matsugae Kiyoaki (played by Tsumabuki Satoshi, Lorelei and Waterboys), a young rich idealist, whose family's wealth have imbued him with a selfish arrogance that betrays his true nature. The object of much of his disdain is the beautiful Satoko (Takeuchi Yuko, Heaven's Bookstore), daughter of an old aristocratic family higher on the social scale than his. Both sets of parents are keen for the pair to marry as it would restore the wealth and status of both sides. Satoko has been in love with Kiyoaki for some time now, as he regularly comes to her house to learn how to behave more gracefully. However she would not dare profess her love to him, as she fears rejection.
Little does Satoko know that Kiyoaki feels the same way, but his pride stops him from speaking his mind, instead suggesting she marries a Siamese prince who is in town for private study. When the Prince proposes and the engagement is blessed by the Emperor himself, it seems that any hope of the couple being together is lost, but it is this moment that Kiyoaki chooses to finally act on his feelings for Satoko. But is he too late? Will he be able to break off her engagement without upsetting and disgracing all the families involved? And what other dark clouds loom on the horizon? Find out in Yukisada Isao's epic melodrama of class, status and love.

:wub:
Attachments
harunoyuki.jpg
harunoyuki.jpg (15.33 KiB) Viewed 13135 times

Teko_ueto

Post by Teko_ueto » Mar 9th, '06, 21:27

I'm a Big Fan of Yuko and Thailand Region 3 DVD Not English Suttitle too

Smiley_18

Post by Smiley_18 » Mar 9th, '06, 21:38

I want to watch the movie too. Too bad the release date is so far away. April 28th... :crazy:

hatanaka

Post by hatanaka » May 12th, '06, 00:38

I finally saw this movie today. :D :thumright: It was really well made. I was amazed as it really follows the book, almost to the letter. Only a few unimportant scenes were left out. It was weird but the movie depicted just what I had imagined while reading the book. Tsumabuki was great as ever. I think he fits the role perfectly. He makes the perfect pouty little brat, but in the end, you just have to fall in love with the guy. Takeuchi Yuko looked great as well. She actually didn't have that large of a speaking role, but she did a great job.

Possible spolier comment:
I normally don't like tragic love stories, but this is so well done, it's really not to be missed. :cry:

The scenery is beautiful as well. Great movie. Don't miss it!!!! :wub:

SleepyBoi

Post by SleepyBoi » May 12th, '06, 03:47

I've been asking around about the movie and nobody knows if it will get subbed or not. Can anybody fill me in on this?

kood
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kood » May 12th, '06, 03:53

SleepyBoi wrote:I've been asking around about the movie and nobody knows if it will get subbed or not. Can anybody fill me in on this?
Only Chinese or Japanese.

SleepyBoi

Post by SleepyBoi » May 12th, '06, 06:42

oh phooooey....it's sounds like such a good story and two of my favorite actors are in it :(....i wish i could see this subbed one day

TIticamara

Post by TIticamara » May 16th, '06, 19:35

SleepyBoi wrote:oh phooooey....it's sounds like such a good story and two of my favorite actors are in it :(....i wish i could see this subbed one day
LEts pray together.

hatanaka

Post by hatanaka » May 16th, '06, 19:39

There is an English subbed version, actually.....Most likely translated from the Chinese subbed version.

SHD
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by SHD » May 16th, '06, 22:11

I wouldn't be surprised if even a R1 version gets produced considering that Mishima is fairly well known in the west, it has played (with subs) in festivals (like here in Hawai'i) and somewhat because of the popularity of the lead actors, number of Japan awards (can just see that plastered on the cover--"Popular Actress" "From the director of" "winner Japan academy award" etc.)

it was OK--like Mishima Lite.

TIticamara

Post by TIticamara » May 17th, '06, 14:03

hatanaka wrote:There is an English subbed version, actually.....Most likely translated from the Chinese subbed version.
Where is it? Please tell us. If you are not allowed to publicly post it here, pm me please. Thanks.

kood
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kood » May 20th, '06, 01:03

I know for a fact there are English subtitles because my younger sibling saw this movie on the flight en route to Vietnam through Japan Airlines (JAL) recently and was disappointed with the film.

Oh, and I love Yuko Takeuchi.

hatanaka

Post by hatanaka » May 20th, '06, 14:03

After watching the movie again, I have a few more insights.
I think it is really helpful if you read the book first. The book is written to show Kiyoaki's perspective and it gives insights into why he acts the way he does. I can see how someone watching the movie without first reading the book would be a little lost.

This is pretty vague, but it does contain some spoiler info, so I'll hide it:
The relationship between Satoko (Takeuchi Yuko) and Kiyoaki (Tsumabuki Satoshi) seems to be lacking something. I can't really put my finger on it, but it seems like a viewer would have trouble getting attached to their relationship since there seemed to be a lack of real courtship. It sort of seemed to go from 0-60 out of nowhere. Granted, they grew up together, but there was a distance between them, created by Kiyoaki, until one moment he decides he can't live without her. There is a lot of emphasis on their sexual relationship but not so much the emotional aspect. It is structured a bit differently from J-Doramas, as a viewer may have to wait until ep.6 to even see a couple kiss. I would have liked to see more meaningful conversations beween the couple rather than just a series of love scenes.
Anyway, over all I think it was well-done. I think it would be hard to put a Mishima book on film. Some of the scenery was pretty and the lighting design was good as well.

auhres

Post by auhres » Aug 10th, '06, 11:51

i watched the movie recently and i think it was quite well done too, it was very beautifully filmed but i just couldn't understand the ending. can someone please explain to me? what actually happened to kiyoaki?

hatanaka

Post by hatanaka » Aug 13th, '06, 14:28

Big time ending spolier:
He died of his illness. (Without seeing Satoko again. :cry: ) In the book, Honda takes Kiyoaki back to Tokyo by train, and Kiyoaki dies two days later.

chiyuffie

Post by chiyuffie » Aug 14th, '06, 01:13

Tsumabuki was soo hot in this one. So sad though (the story that is). Yuko...wahhhh!

auhres

Post by auhres » Aug 15th, '06, 13:14

yeahh:( i was really really hoping the thing that happened to him didn't happen.. lol yeah tsumabuki was soo hot &i was quite impressed that he spoke english haha

just_candy

Post by just_candy » Sep 8th, '06, 21:43

hey everyone~ i hope someone will still check on this thread coz i noticed it's been awhile since someone posted... :lol

anyways, can anyone pls tell me where i might be able to download this movie? ive tried all the usual clubboxes and even some other ones, but i really cant find it. when i searched for a torrent, there isnt one either...it's on aznv, but at the moment they dont have subs. i found the subs on kloofy, so im jst missing the video :unsure:

can anyone pls tell me where they got their copies? thank u so much!

toyotaku

Post by toyotaku » Sep 8th, '06, 21:59

just_candy wrote:hey everyone~ i hope someone will still check on this thread coz i noticed it's been awhile since someone posted... :lol

anyways, can anyone pls tell me where i might be able to download this movie? ive tried all the usual clubboxes and even some other ones, but i really cant find it. when i searched for a torrent, there isnt one either...it's on aznv, but at the moment they dont have subs. i found the subs on kloofy, so im jst missing the video :unsure:

can anyone pls tell me where they got their copies? thank u so much!
May be of no help to you, but I downloaded my copy from FS Seeders (FSS) about a week or so ago (but haven't had a chance yet to sit down and watch it... looking forward to it, too, since I enjoy Yukio Mishima's novels :wub: ).

just_candy

Post by just_candy » Sep 8th, '06, 23:51

^^thanks so much for the reply~ unfortunately, im not a member of FSS and they dont accept new ones now coz they're over the current quota...thank u so much tho...:) i guess il jst have to wait til it comes out on a clubbox or smthing...

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Sep 9th, '06, 03:45

missnerdberd

SPRING SNOW OR 69 (SIXTY-NINE) STARRING SATOSHI TSUMABUKI

Post by missnerdberd » Apr 12th, '07, 10:29

hi everyone! i've been trying to find spring snow or sixty nine starring satoshi tsumabuki :wub: does anyone know where to download or buy it in singapore? thank you so so so so so very much!

l0nEr

Post by l0nEr » Apr 14th, '07, 02:31

I dun tink u can find the dvd in singapore. Guess buying online is your best bet. Perhaps u can try looking through the clubboxs, they might have it. Good luck

missnerdberd

Post by missnerdberd » Apr 14th, '07, 13:53

l0nEr wrote:I dun tink u can find the dvd in singapore. Guess buying online is your best bet. Perhaps u can try looking through the clubboxs, they might have it. Good luck
i just bought spring snow today :D i can find both the dvd and vcd in singapore :D but i think it'll be harder to find 69 which is less popular.

missnerdberd

Post by missnerdberd » Apr 21st, '07, 00:52

hatanaka wrote:After watching the movie again, I have a few more insights.
I think it is really helpful if you read the book first. The book is written to show Kiyoaki's perspective and it gives insights into why he acts the way he does. I can see how someone watching the movie without first reading the book would be a little lost.

This is pretty vague, but it does contain some spoiler info, so I'll hide it:
The relationship between Satoko (Takeuchi Yuko) and Kiyoaki (Tsumabuki Satoshi) seems to be lacking something. I can't really put my finger on it, but it seems like a viewer would have trouble getting attached to their relationship since there seemed to be a lack of real courtship. It sort of seemed to go from 0-60 out of nowhere. Granted, they grew up together, but there was a distance between them, created by Kiyoaki, until one moment he decides he can't live without her. There is a lot of emphasis on their sexual relationship but not so much the emotional aspect. It is structured a bit differently from J-Doramas, as a viewer may have to wait until ep.6 to even see a couple kiss. I would have liked to see more meaningful conversations beween the couple rather than just a series of love scenes.
Anyway, over all I think it was well-done. I think it would be hard to put a Mishima book on film. Some of the scenery was pretty and the lighting design was good as well.
i agree to the info above after watching it, it somehow doesn't make much sense to me, someone please enlighten me!
like why did he burn the letters satoko sent him? and why didn't he just marry her instead of just making things complicated for himself? is what honda said is true? that he just love the impossibility of the whole affair? man this movie i thought it would be beautifully emotionally, not sexually there's just too much! it shouldn't even be PG anymore :glare:

Jaja

Post by Jaja » Aug 30th, '07, 02:17

Can someone help me, I want to download this movie, can someone please post a link.

Thanks in advance.

fifimimi

Post by fifimimi » Jan 31st, '08, 14:10

This thread is pretty old but if anyone happens to pass by and knows where I can d/l this movie...MANY THANKS in advance!!

I really really want to watch this...but paying US$45 to buy it on yesasia seems a bit much when I only watch movies once :( Or anyone know where I can watch it online even if I have a pay a little??? :roll

jesamine

Post by jesamine » Oct 28th, '08, 12:31

I'm looking for this movie too, avistaz have it but you need to register and they're not taking anymore registrations anymore unfortunately :(

Did someone say Singapore had the DVD? I will be flying pass there soon, where do you get it in Singapore?

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Oct 29th, '08, 07:03

I'm not sure if there are soft subs around. But clubbox has the raw file.
http://clubbox.co.kr/yukotakeuchi

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Oct 29th, '08, 07:20

missnerdberd wrote:
like why did he burn the letters satoko sent him? and why didn't he just marry her instead of just making things complicated for himself? is what honda said is true? that he just love the impossibility of the whole affair? man this movie i thought it would be beautifully emotionally, not sexually there's just too much! it shouldn't even be PG anymore :glare:
I couldn't really figure it out either. I just thought he was snobby and looked down on people. But after reading some explanation about the book, it seemed pretty deep. It's a good thing they stopped making it after the first book. The rest sucked. The ending of the last book had me thinking WTH...
Basically, he has some feelings for her but he doesn't like to feel like he's manipulated. I think? Well, analysis is that it was written during the time Western culture was seeping into Eastern culture and being traditional, he tries to reject anything western. Satoko was acting western when she was flirting with him. In Asia, it's the man that makes the move, not the female.

So I think he rejects her (or western culture). She baffles him and seems to hit on him asking him to come out during the party, then rejects him. He doesn't want to be played? But as he realizes he is losing her, he wants her. Well, this is my take. Whether males or females, they want what is forbidden or hard to get. The more something seems impossible, the more you want it.

Here's an essay of sorts about it.
http://www.wdog.com/rider/writings/springsnow.htm
Satoko is a blend of East and West, and that’s what frustrates Kiyoaki. Although Kiyoaki is inextricably involved with the reconfiguration of Japanese culture, he is at the same time witnessing it. As the protagonist, nearly everything Mishima tells us is in some way filtered through Kiyoaki. Mishima gives Kiyoaki a strange ability to observe and comment upon certain things he witnesses that other characters do not have. However, at the same time, Kiyoaki can’t completely grasp what causes his intermittent outbursts of disgust and malaise. He often feels disgust and anger toward Satoko, who toys with his emotions in a decidedly East-West way. On the one hand, Satoko plays the role of kimono-clad, submissive Japanese woman. On the other, she exhibits an undeniably coy streak, which Kiyoaki always interprets as being intended to annoy and upset him. He cannot stand Satoko asserting herself in any way. When she writes to criticize his self-centered, immature attitude (which is incredibly obvious to the reader), he absolutely cannot stand it, and begins a boycott of her company that ultimately causes her to become engaged to someone else.