Will thepiratebay.com be forced to shut down?

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
tringo

Will thepiratebay.com be forced to shut down?

Post by tringo » Jun 1st, '06, 23:41

Well short sum, the 31 of May, the Swedish police stormed the place where all the servers for the lare torrensite piratebay.com were located in Sweden (it is now down at the moment), took all the information and arrested three persons. What could be more more alarming is the latest news (by the swedish television) that claims that it was initiated after pressure made by the the government of USA, (even though the swedish government at the moment deny it). Since it just happend recently the police are quiet due to the investigation reasons.
In Sweden it is interesting since it is the first case of this kind since our new harder law on copyright, the outcome's going to set "standard" to other similar cases in Sweden.
But what happens if they are convicted (it that the right word?, I hate that I don't know the english words for all these law-terms) , and that US can put pressure on other countries as well?
:whistling:

read updated news if you are interested at:
http://piratbyran-in-eng.blogspot.com/

[/b]

groink

Post by groink » Jun 2nd, '06, 01:18

Well, although I'm not an attorney, I do play one on D-Addicts. :lol

People keep forgetting that there are two types of laws in the world:
1. Laws within your own country
2. International laws

Copyrights are protected by International law. All countries signed on with the Berne Convention must live up to these copyright laws. PirateBay always believed that the Swedish governmenet would protect them seeing their local laws, from what I understand, condone the things they were doing. But once Sweden signed on with the Berne Convention (August 1, 1904), international copyright laws can be enforced in that country - despite the local laws there.

--- groink

ukbratboy

Post by ukbratboy » Jun 2nd, '06, 07:14

Asian dvd club is also down.

toyotaku

Post by toyotaku » Jun 2nd, '06, 08:02

ADC (Asian DVD Club) is down because its servers were also confiscated during the PirateBay raid (they also use PRQ as their provider). It's getting to be a very interesting story in regards to the legality of the outcome of the raid and how it was carried out.

Anyone interested in an additional source for following the news in English, Slyck has articles regarding the raid itself and what's been happening since.

kermit

Post by kermit » Jun 3rd, '06, 00:23

Source : http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=1205

Yet to this day, no clear connection has been established between downloading a copyrighted work and a dollar lost

=/
P2P is not piracy, it's marketing.
In fact, if your music or movie is NOT being downloaded, you should be WORRIED!
If you can't even give it away for free, how do you expect to sell it?
What's the p2p-war all about ? It's obviously not about right or wrong, it's about power.
The power to control what you read, watch, listen to and think.

cgozun

Post by cgozun » Jun 3rd, '06, 02:20

They will be back. The worse that can happen is other sites will pick up the slack. There really is no end to this. :roll

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jun 3rd, '06, 04:39

Lowest

Post by Lowest » Jun 3rd, '06, 13:29

The Pirate Bay Back Online
The Pirate Bay is once again online. True to its defiant nature, The Pirate Bay is again indexing many of the same .torrent files that made it wildly popular.

News of The Pirate Bay's resurrection comes as little surprise. The Pirate Bay spokesperson "brokep" promised Slyck.com the site would resolve under a different country's flag if an immediate resolution could not be reached in Sweden.

Good thing it's a ship, they can easily sail to another country :P
Looks like they're currently in the Netherlands, and are working on setting up in 4 (or more) different countries

afroken

Post by afroken » Jun 3rd, '06, 13:40

In http://www.dn.se they say The Pirate Bay changed their name to The Police Bay.
Last edited by afroken on Jun 3rd, '06, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gryzze » Jun 3rd, '06, 13:43

afroken wrote:In http://www.dn.se they say The Pirate Bay changed their name to The Police Bay. XDD
Well, there's newspaper journalists for you. They read the browser title and assume the site changed its name... :lol

bugsie

Post by bugsie » Jun 3rd, '06, 14:14

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/ ... atebay.gif[/img]
let's just hope capt jack sparrow can pull through this.

kermit

Post by kermit » Jun 3rd, '06, 15:06

Hmmz I wonder what MPAA are going to say this time
Wahahaha :P

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jun 3rd, '06, 15:41

At the moment, a Piratebay search yields the reply:

"No hits due to politics. The search function will be restored later today."

God bless them. I sent them some bucks. A little less than I gave to D-Addicts last time. They sell kickass T-Shirts too.

Note that I consider it wrong to watch anything that comes under MPAA jurisdiction whether you pay for it or not. I support The Bay because they make international content available to the entire world. The ability to download European, Asian, and African movies and music that would otherwise be entirely unavailable is what I love about The Bay.

eye

Post by eye » Jun 3rd, '06, 16:02

Lowest wrote:Good thing it's a ship, they can easily sail to another country :P
In fact, they don't have to. Hosting and tracking .torrent files is perfectly legal in Sweden. So the police interrogation probably turned out similar to this:

[img]http://img317.imageshack.us/img317/226/finger6yx.jpg[/img]

dome1234

Post by dome1234 » Jun 3rd, '06, 16:13

it's an hoax. What really happened was that they were updating their web.

probably. mostly.
Last edited by dome1234 on Jun 3rd, '06, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gryzze » Jun 3rd, '06, 16:18

eye wrote:
Lowest wrote:Good thing it's a ship, they can easily sail to another country :P
In fact, they don't have to. Hosting and tracking .torrent files is perfectly legal in Sweden. So the police interrogation probably turned out similar to this:

[img]http://img317.imageshack.us/img317/226/finger6yx.jpg[/img]
:lol I think you're close to the truth.

One of the questioned told a newspaper that he was denied to have a public defender present because the charges against him were too insignificant. As a result he didn't tell them anything at all.

LYF

Post by LYF » Jun 3rd, '06, 16:40

they didn't shut down right?

Casker

Post by Casker » Jun 3rd, '06, 16:45

They're back on. This reminds me when Suprnova shut down a few years ago.

cikaba2

how about US?

Post by cikaba2 » Jun 3rd, '06, 16:52

Hi, I live in US. I do not know if download from d-addicts for Korean Drama consider legal? I burn it to DVD and just use it for my own collection. Is this OK? Thank you

xly

Post by xly » Jun 3rd, '06, 16:54

i'd recommend the police to read the law before doing something like that.. or at least make sure that the law has changed to their benefit before doing a raid.
it's so frustrating to see them wasting tax money like that! i worked hard for that 30% of my wage! :cussing: :glare: i feel sorry for the innocent firms that had their servers cut off as well.

LYF

Re: how about US?

Post by LYF » Jun 3rd, '06, 17:03

cikaba2 wrote:Hi, I live in US. I do not know if download from d-addicts for Korean Drama consider legal? I burn it to DVD and just use it for my own collection. Is this OK? Thank you
i think they wont bother

Phinn

Post by Phinn » Jun 3rd, '06, 17:12

From what I understand, the storage of torrent files is not illegal in Sweden. The copyright lobby in Sweden managed to convince the police that there was illegal content on TPB's servers e.g. mp3s, XviDs, etc... so they raided TPB's ISP and took all the servers. I highly doubt however that any such content will be found. Since the police also took away other servers at the ISP, unconnected to TPB, around 300 web business websites have gone down as well (including a pro-piracy political party website which has led to people calling the raid political censorship). There's been a rally in Stockholm protesting against the raid

[img]http://www.thrinduil.be/bildspel/web%20 ... C_0379.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.thrinduil.be/bildspel/web%20 ... C_0369.jpg[/img]

Looks like the Swedish police are facing a major embarassment and a load of lawsuits for loss of earnings. Scratch one up for The Pirate Bay.

Kayiaxo

Post by Kayiaxo » Jun 4th, '06, 00:04

The Pirate Bay is already back and on top of that they got new layout and recoded everything.
Searching for torrents goes very smooth and fast now.
Also if you check Alexa TPB hit each day has almost doubled recently.
That's with all the publicity going on with what happened.

LYF

Post by LYF » Jun 4th, '06, 01:32

so pirate bay is back

oberon

Post by oberon » Jun 4th, '06, 15:12

mm I hope that asian dvd club also comes back

LYF

Post by LYF » Jun 4th, '06, 16:16

oberon wrote:mm I hope that asian dvd club also comes back
asian dvd club ? what happen to it?

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » Jun 4th, '06, 16:22

LYF wrote: asian dvd club ? what happen to it?
Read what toyotaku said on the first page of this discussion about Asian DVD Club.

LYF

Post by LYF » Jun 4th, '06, 16:43

yt_toshi wrote:
LYF wrote: asian dvd club ? what happen to it?
Read what toyotaku said on the first page of this discussion about Asian DVD Club.
okok sorry :)

leftee

Post by leftee » Jun 5th, '06, 01:27

I feel that it had something to do with someone paying off someone on this one. But i think sooner or later they are gonna shut down the site legal or not. I wish they'd understand that its an impossible battle. A quick search in google and you see 10 new torrent sites. You kill one and another will grow. Its a migrating phenomanon. Seriously their strategy is just dumb. It makes matters worse when they put secret spyware in music cds (sony) and i could only imagine the nightmare blu-ray and HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) is gonna be. This crap is what causes the problem when they want to put a ball and chain on everyone. I feel its only a matter of time until they find a way to legally monitor our internet usage habits and hold every damn person accountable for something. Its getting a little scary if you ask me. I feel this pirate bay thing is a bigger deal than most. I hope there is nothing more to it than this. Or our freedom and privacy can really take a hit.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Jun 5th, '06, 02:46

from their blog:
Just some stats...

... here are some reasons why TPB is down sometimes - and how long it usually takes to fix:

Tiamo gets *very* drunk and then something crashes: 4 days

Anakata gets a really bad cold and noone is around: 7 days

The US and Swedish gov. forces the police to steal our servers: 3 days

.. yawn.
amusing. :lol

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Jun 5th, '06, 03:18

Ruroshin wrote:from their blog:
Just some stats...

... here are some reasons why TPB is down sometimes - and how long it usually takes to fix:

.. yawn.
LOL~ :lol

Kayiaxo

Post by Kayiaxo » Jun 7th, '06, 06:45

Ruroshin wrote:from their blog:
Just some stats...

.. yawn.
TBP will always find something to make a fool out of those who try to shut them down.
Just the same as their replies to e-mails they get to remove torrents.

tringo

Post by tringo » Jun 8th, '06, 11:20

Not really within the subject, but the Swedish radio sometimes is too funny.
Last week the Swedish Minister of Justice (not sure about the translation) visited a show and allowed the hosts to cut a curl from his hair, since he was going to the hairdresser anyway. (weird huh!) Well the program hosts decided to make an auction on the net where the money would go to a "save-the-children organization." (even more weirder :-)
Well the raid against the pirate bay occurred and the minister of Justice has been accused to initiate the raid.
Today he was on air again when it was time to announce who the highest bidder was, when the auction finally was closed. Guess who was the highest bidder? The pirate bay of course. So the minister of justice ( who denied giving the order of raid and has a lot of humor) gave the pirate bay authority to do what ever they wanted with the curl, he promised they had free copyright. He signed a document proving it truly was his hair and gave it the spokesman from the pirate bay. The spokesman replied that they might increase their t-shirts net-shop, to try making some more money on selling his"famous" hair.
He He he

( You can listen to it again on "Lantz i P3" website for those who understand Swedish)

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Jun 8th, '06, 20:15

lol i forgot about this site.

*goes off to dl some torrents

Kayiaxo

Post by Kayiaxo » Jun 9th, '06, 09:11

melonyhappy wrote:lol i forgot about this site.

*goes off to dl some torrents
*Calls the MPAA* :whistling:

Joking lols, seriously although, the MPAA should stop bothering torrent sites.
I remembered they already sued:;
- dead people (how can those download torrents)
- grandmothers without pc's (she didn't even know how to boot up pc, even that she never had internet or pc to start with).

Their excuse:
"I guess we made a little mistake". :crazy:

Starfire12

Post by Starfire12 » Jun 9th, '06, 17:03

The backlash here in Sweden seems even biggen than i expected (lots of people here who don't file-share, but don't like foreign business interests meddling in Swedish internal affairs):

Sweden could scrap file-sharing ban

darkfire1313

Post by darkfire1313 » Jun 12th, '06, 23:48

just use mininova.org instead.,..

Kayiaxo

Post by Kayiaxo » Jun 19th, '06, 21:48

darkfire1313 wrote:just use mininova.org instead.,..
Well no torrent site is really safe although they aren't targeted atm.
Btw those who remember SuprNova, they came back as NewNova.
Actually the original owner gave his site to someone else who made NewNova with it.

Mythrel

Post by Mythrel » Jun 19th, '06, 23:54

Thats what I used before I found Mininova thank god. Its become the new supernova and if it goes down I'm screwed lol. I never heard of newnova but ill have to check it out.

Kayiaxo

Post by Kayiaxo » Jun 20th, '06, 22:35

Mythrel wrote:Thats what I used before I found Mininova thank god. Its become the new supernova and if it goes down I'm screwed lol. I never heard of newnova but ill have to check it out.
Weird NewNova says it will be back soon now lol.
First time it happened since it came online months ago.

Anyway google has still the cache:
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:rZ ... =clnk&cd=1