STAY AWAY
4%

Total votes: 124

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Beautiful Days (SBS, 2001)

Post by puccakiss79 » Aug 31st, '04, 16:48

Now that you know what I think, I'd like to know what you think :) I've discussed this drama w/ several ppl, some love this drama, some didn't care for it, tell us what you thought of it :D

Put spoilers in quote boxes please

Put them in quote tags, between these two tags and their closing tags -----> {quote="Spoiler"}{color=white}{/color} {/quote} but replace {} w/ [ ] , whether you keep out the "Spoiler" part is up to you, just as long as we can't see it, and it doesn't blind us. Thanks
Spoiler wrote:Like this =)

the review for this drama can be found here: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Beautiful_Days

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Aug 31st, '04, 17:33

I'd probably vote "life-altering" if it wasn't for the weak last third of the drama. But I adored the first half of it, so I'd definitely tell people to watch it. ^___^ It's my favorite korean melodrama to date.. so I'll probably write a review for it when I have the time to watch it over again. :)

leeunit

Post by leeunit » Sep 20th, '04, 17:55

Hopefully people watch this drama before they watch Winter Sonata, Stairway to Heaven, or Jin Shil (Truth), otherwise they'll just think of this as another "Choi Ji Woo Drama". Is there a Choi Ji Woo drama where either she or another main character doesn't have a lengthy hospital stay, followed by a life-threatening illness, only to come back in the end healthy as ever?

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Sep 20th, '04, 23:13

leeunit, check out the 10 commandments of Korean drama thread... :D

After my previous K-drama experiences to that point, the ending was a pleasant surprise. Although Lee Byung's little teleportation act in the last scene was a little amusing...

exupery

Post by exupery » Sep 21st, '04, 05:01

aNToK wrote: Although Lee Byung's little teleportation act in the last scene was a little amusing...
:lol i thought i was seeing things initially & had to replay that scene. :roll

Scyth3r

Post by Scyth3r » Sep 21st, '04, 05:09

This drama is as typical as kdrama can get. It follows the Ten Commandments of kdrama to the book. Good or bad, you decide. :P

Post by 61006789 » Sep 21st, '04, 07:05

yes i agree with everyone too.
semi-spoiler wrote: at least it didn't have a sad ending like most korean series

sukyong

Post by sukyong » Sep 21st, '04, 17:21

Spoiler wrote:I loved this drama even if it did fit the bill for a typical Korean Drama...there was a point where I was thinking...gee, I wonder who she'd wind up with between the 2 brothers and of course just as I was thinking that, the call from the hospital came to remind her for a follow up blood test came and I'm like "DAMN, of course, she gets leukemia!" Still I was surprised she wound up living in the end...I was getting ready for a sad Choi Ji Woo death scene.

ookamiki

Post by ookamiki » Sep 22nd, '04, 10:23

I really enjoyed to see it. It's sure that ti's not the best drama i 've watch but it made me spend a good time. It reminds me a lot Winter Sonata, witch is the first drama i've ever watched ( i love it ....) .I think that the plots are a lot alike especially with the airport scene, the hospital scene......

Brightstar

Post by Brightstar » Sep 22nd, '04, 11:18

I guess I have to qualify it as "Life Altering" since it certainly altered my life. I would never have watched K dramas let alone be addicted to them if I had'nt accidentally stumbled on a Lee Byung Hun mesmerising stare scene while I was channel surfing.

I had to wait for a long time to see the entire series (but stuck on dedicatedly to the endeavour) & am still waiting for an eng subtitled DVD release (probably never going to happen).

Actually if I look at it objectively the plot sucks & has so many holes & melodrama it should have sunk on the very 1st episode or for sure in the middle when the writer was clutching at straws... . But Mr. Lee carried the drama for me on his very able shoulders - he is so charismatic & makes the chemistry with CJW look so real....

CJW's sweet innocent, devoid of make-up look seemed so touching - its only when I saw subsequent dramas of hers that I realised she is basically the same in all of them. And unfortunately her "constant sobbing" in all her dramas is getting on my nerves.
All the same she really fit the role in Beautiful Days & was good.

To any one who has'nt seen this drama I'd definitely say grab the first opportunity & see it. I won't call it Life Altering in general (just altered mine by introducing K dramas to me) but I'd certainly call it a "Must See"

KrystalHeart

Post by KrystalHeart » Sep 27th, '04, 18:32

I was hooked for the beginning 2/3 of the drama. Towards the end it got draggy and I watched all of DISC 6 in fast forward mode.

I really liked Ryu Shi Won ... he was such a cutie.

I was impressed with Lee Byung Hun's hot and sexy looks at Choi Ji Woo. Many times he looked like he just wanted to jump into bed with her. Hehehe.

Me2

Post by Me2 » Oct 7th, '04, 01:18

oh wow...cant wait to see it=P

xiaryx
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by xiaryx » Oct 14th, '04, 05:35

I have to say, if you are only going to watch one kdrama in your life time, this is the one you must see. It is MUCH better than the popular series such as Winter Sonata or All About Eve, where the actresses cry their eyes out for no reason, or everyone being happy all the time. In summary, there is major real life emotional conflict in this series that is missing in most other kdrama. Go see it!

r3v

Post by r3v » Oct 14th, '04, 05:56

I was studying at Yonsei when they were filming this drama in Shinchon (Victory records = the old tower records near the subway). It was fun to see them filiming something one week and have it appear in a drama not too long after. I remember once several of the production crew just stoped and stared as I walked out of Ewha's gate late at night. (note for any caucasian men studying in korea. although the guards will stop korean looking men trying to enter Ewha's gates after dark, they won't stop "foreigners" because there is a coed language school on campus - note for guys wanting to study in korea, Ewha is the largest women's univ in Asia)

It was good the first time I watched it (though melodramatic as all Korean drama are) and seeing this discussion makes me want to watch it again.

Also... does anyone know the name of the KDrama with two rival Chinese restaurants and and a romeo and juliet kind of thing going on? I've been meaning to watch that again too...

lorac
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by lorac » Oct 14th, '04, 06:31

xiaryx wrote:I have to say, if you are only going to watch one kdrama in your life time, this is the one you must see!
I'm rewatching right now and it is just as good the second time around, maybe even better. If put to the test I don't think I could decide which is better, Beautiful Days or All In. What makes them so good is Lee Byung Hun's excellent performance. The guy is mesmerizing.

lorac

dia

Post by dia » Oct 21st, '04, 04:28

I have to agree (wholeheartedly) with Krystalheart on this one.

I was so hopelessly hooked on the first two thirds of this series you would have thought my life depended on the next download...literally..lol But then I got to the main couple finally connecting and right off, something felt OFF. The writing changed, the characters changed (not for the better..lol), the whole flavor of what I've been hooked on suddenly tasted flat. Then suddenly our heroine is a completely different person. And bare in mind, this was a heroine I bawled with...when she cried I cried...but now when she cried (and she did it a lot....a lot. Did I mention she did it a lot?..lol); anyway, now when she cried I was thoroughly bored. In truth, by then I was bored with the whole series.

BUT.....

despite that, there's no denying the first 2/3's of this drama is well worth the watch.
It is, flaws or not, a MUST WATCH.

:D

dima
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by dima » Oct 31st, '04, 20:09

leeunit wrote:Hopefully people watch this drama before they watch Winter Sonata, Stairway to Heaven, or Jin Shil (Truth), otherwise they'll just think of this as another "Choi Ji Woo Drama". Is there a Choi Ji Woo drama where either she or another main character doesn't have a lengthy hospital stay, followed by a life-threatening illness, only to come back in the end healthy as ever?
spoiler wrote:IMHO the end of beautiful days can be interpreted either as healthy as ever, or as meeting in heaven, implying death of the main character. After all, why else would they show her bf/husband first with her in the audience, but when her 'did' gives her a hug, that bf/husband is standing in the back with his brother?
or did I get something wrong? :)

yapjj
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yapjj » Nov 1st, '04, 04:53

Hmm ... I would vote it as life-altering too. The k-dramas I watched before BD were Winter Sonata and Autumn's Tale. But somehow they didn't really affect me much. It was only after watching BD, that I started to search the web like crazy looking for anything and everything to do with LBH. That's what led me here, to soompi, and to all the other wonderful kdrama and LBH sites.

I didn't think the last third was that bad actually. But the pace of the story did suddenly change at around that point. I read somewhere that Yeon Soo was supposed to end up with San Jae, but because of pressure from fans after they started airing, they actually changed the story to pair Yeon Soo and Min Chul. That might explain the change in the story's pace. :D There are some good scenes in the last third, like the cinema scene mentioned in the review, the elevator scene, the day before the operation scene .... I do agree that the story has lots of holes, but I think the acting, especially LBH's, really carried the series through. I just wish LBH had his hair styled better in the series :P

momentai

Post by momentai » Nov 2nd, '04, 07:12

dima wrote:
spoiler wrote:IMHO the end of beautiful days can be interpreted either as healthy as ever, or as meeting in heaven, implying death of the main character. After all, why else would they show her bf/husband first with her in the audience, but when her 'did' gives her a hug, that bf/husband is standing in the back with his brother?
spoiler wrote:
I'm not sure if that the ending is supposed to symbolic of a proverbial perfect "life after death" scenario. I think it's because there are a multitude of characters in that scene that have some sort of resolution given to their stories. If the ending was merely to emphasize Yeon Soo after death, I would think it would cheapen the other characters to an extent.

I would liken it more to a camera/editing error than have any significant meaning to the interpretation of the ending.

momentai

Post by momentai » Nov 2nd, '04, 07:19

Out of all the kdramas I've seen so far, I think I like this one the best out of them all. But it's pretty obvious that the story and characters switched gears in the last third of the series. The most glaring probably being Minchul's character and the plot device used to change him (the Yeon Soo ordeal in the last third).

It's been a while since I've seen it... but does anyone remember it being even hinted at earlier in the episodes?

To me, I would really have liked to see how the story would have ended if the director had not been influenced by the fans. It just seemed so unbalanced to me. San-jae sort of got the short end of the stick in everything throughout the entire drama.

ooijanice

Post by ooijanice » Nov 11th, '04, 11:33

" Life Altering " for me indeed. Beautiful Days is the first K Drama I saw. Fell in love with Lee Byung Hun :wub: He is so charismatic and his killer stare is fantastic..... LBH & Choi ji Wo makes a perfect couple in Beautiful Days. LBH carried off the role of "Dark Prince" in Beautiful Days extremely well. Must say LBH is also one of the best on screen kisser. I saw BD 2 years ago & till now I still rate BD as one of the best K Dramas that I have seen. Seeing Beautiful Days turn me into a real K Addict !!! :cheers:

fayenatic

Post by fayenatic » Nov 12th, '04, 02:51

id have to say life altering!!

LBH and CJW are friggen amazing together!
though, All In still proves to be my favorite LBH drama.

If you can get past the first 3 episodes of BD, then you'll definitely be hooked on it. :w00t:

rob96826

Post by rob96826 » Nov 14th, '04, 09:38

anyone know where can i download this drama? missed every eps. already

apples

Post by apples » Dec 7th, '04, 05:33

rob96826 wrote:anyone know where can i download this drama? missed every eps. already
grab it from http://jem.afraid.org

milia

Post by milia » Dec 12th, '04, 02:24

this is must watch drama ... i love everything about the drama .. the cast, the scenes, the songs and everything.. its make me cry all the time from first episode till last episode.

and the most important is i adore LBH acting. he is such a great actor. his smile and his eyes expression. love it so much

chromatic

Post by chromatic » Dec 18th, '04, 03:02

could someone reseed it ? ^_^;

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Dec 18th, '04, 03:06

chromatic wrote:could someone reseed it ? ^_^;
This is not the place to request for seeds! Please use this thread in the future.

snowangel414

Post by snowangel414 » Jan 19th, '05, 20:17

All the music in this drama is worth to hear over and over again. I am totally in love with all those piano songs.

ay_link
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ay_link » Jan 25th, '05, 19:05

one of the best. shouldn't miss it :mrgreen:

beautiful days -- it's how an ending should be :-)

ceppy

Post by ceppy » Jan 29th, '05, 12:56

don't like it because I don't like who she ends up with

apples

Post by apples » Mar 20th, '05, 04:45

I love LBH and his character.. :wub: I'd pick him and minchul over any other korean guy.

loved the ending, even if minchul changed drastically.. but i think it's natural under the circumstances. i didn't really notice it drag in the end. maybe because it's the first kdrama i watched and i had no idea about the ten commandments of kdrama.

at first, i felt sorry for ryu shi won's character.. but i disliked him halfway through the drama. if minchul changed for the better, ryu shi won was the opposite.

for me, it was life-altering.

i also thought choi ji woo and lee byung hun were great in this drama. CJW crying scenes actually impressed me. :lol Thank goodness I watched this before Stairway to Heaven. After watching STH, I don't like her as much as before. I skipped most of the second half of STH cos it was too painful to watch... painfully irritating.. or is it irritatingly painful? sorry :offtopic:

Like what was said in a previous post, if you start on kdramas... or any kdrama with CHoi Ji Woo in it, Beautiful Days is a good pick.

Jannah
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by Jannah » Mar 20th, '05, 07:06

apples wrote:i also thought choi ji woo and lee byung hun were great in this drama. CJW crying scenes actually impressed me. :lol Thank goodness I watched this before Stairway to Heaven.
I watched Beautiful Days after STH, but surprisingly CJW still impressed me in this drama. I was kinda sick of her after STH & Winter Sonata, but BD made me appreciate her as an actress again. It's still the best Choi Ji Woo drama.

apples

Post by apples » Mar 20th, '05, 09:30

Jannah: I haven't watched WS yet. Did she do minimal wailing in it like in Beautiful days? or was it as much as STH?

Jannah
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by Jannah » Mar 20th, '05, 12:52

apples wrote:Jannah: I haven't watched WS yet. Did she do minimal wailing in it like in Beautiful days? or was it as much as STH?
She definitely didn't wail as much in Winter Sonata as she did in STH. Thank God. :P In WS, she transformed from a cheerful character to a moody, melancholic one, and she did cry a lot towards the end of the drama, but it was bearable. What I couldn't stand was that her character was so weak. :x

apples

Post by apples » Mar 22nd, '05, 05:07

hmmm... i think i'll give it a try one of these days. thanks!

Amitie

English softsub please!!!

Post by Amitie » Jul 19th, '05, 00:18

Hi does anyone have the english softsub for ep 15 & 18

Please......

Amitie

never mind

Post by Amitie » Jul 19th, '05, 04:26

it has eng sub.after 5 mins.
sorry.

chula

Post by chula » Jul 19th, '05, 15:49

LOVED this drama.
the first episodes when LBH was flirting with CJW were my favorites. the glances on the subway scene, in Victory Records, etc. i was also digging that instrumental song that plays whenever LBH gets a little too close to CJW that makes her uncomfotable - she's scared at him but she wants him too, heh. sure the story had a lot of cliches but the actors performance and oozing chemistry was worth watching it.
i liked this better than Winter Sonata. IMHO, CJW's character here was stronger - even though she tends to cry a lot when it comes to her sister, she's strong-willed when it comes to fighting for her love. i also liked how the couple are very affectionate with each other (something that Winter Sonata lacked).

kjw_sarang

Post by kjw_sarang » Jul 19th, '05, 15:58

i really want to see this drama!! i hope it wins for ksotm

fullmetalalchemist

Post by fullmetalalchemist » Jul 20th, '05, 00:18

This is excellent! I expected a lot from this drama but it exceeded my expectations!! Sad thing was the version I had cut about 10 min from each episode so I must have missed heaps of scenes. Anyone know where I can get the uncut version? I tried yes asia but they were either dubbed in chinese or had no English subs.

athrunjustice

Post by athrunjustice » Jul 20th, '05, 13:03

I really enjoyed this series, expeciallly the story plot and love triangle.

If you want to shed tears watch it :D

chula

Post by chula » Jul 20th, '05, 13:04

i've heard last year that Yesasia is planning to release this with English subtitles. the last update I've heard (maybe two months ago) was that they were having difficulties to get the rights from SBS.

lucky_7

Post by lucky_7 » Jul 20th, '05, 13:23

This drama is worth watching. Both RSW and LBH was great but I prefer the RSW's character than LBH's character.

imut_imut
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by imut_imut » Jul 20th, '05, 21:31

anyone can please direct me to clubbox of beautiful days with the english sub?

thanks

Gny

Post by Gny » Aug 14th, '05, 05:16

I loved this drama. This was one of those few that made me cry. The main couple is sooo cute. :wub: I thought the main-character guy (I dont know his name) is cute in this series. I thought this was better than Stairway to Heaven.

baka_neko

Post by baka_neko » Oct 12th, '05, 19:09

i just finished this drama and i guess i found out why lbh won so many awards~
his expressions and portrayal of emotions were just great!
he makes me drool much.

i really really enjoyed watching this drama... i was told to watch it before STH... so my next would be... hehe

cjw made crying such an 'it' thing to do - me thinks!

i highly recommend this drama

Helen

Post by Helen » Nov 4th, '05, 17:23

does this drama was posted in here? it sound like really great, i really want to see it. can someone post this drama?

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Nov 4th, '05, 17:45

Helen wrote:does this drama was posted in here? it sound like really great, i really want to see it. can someone post this drama?
JEM did a TV-capture of this drama a while ago. If you look at the sidebar, it'll direct you to his site where you can download it.

reydevan

Post by reydevan » Nov 10th, '05, 06:41

anyone knows which Clubbox has this drama w eng subs??? reali wanna watch it again...........tkx!

pls pm me...........

apples

Post by apples » Nov 13th, '05, 09:43

you might wana check out the official clubbox thread.

fifimimi

Post by fifimimi » Apr 2nd, '06, 06:25

I'm not sure what I wrote counts as a spoiler but I'll highlight everything so anyone whose interested in what I think about this drama can read themselves!!

My Vote: Life-Altering...10/10!!
Spoiler wrote:This is my favourite kdrama besides Dae Jang Geum, which I don't compare to anything as its just so different to everything!

Anyway, back to this drama, I think what did it for me was DEFINATELY Lee Byung Hun...his acting, his character, his looks, his hair...everything about him and his character captured my FULL attention throughout the whole 24 episodes!! Had it not for him...maybe the drama would still be good but no where near as good as this!! The reason I like Choi Ji Woo in this more than her other dramas like WS or STH is cos this time her character seems stronger than the other dramas'....and not so much blank-looking facial expressions, also she looked younger and had a better hair cut!! Nevertheless, she's a great actress and I liked her character very much too as she was so important to Lee Min Chul!! Ryu Si Won's character was so sad, his life...everything about him was sad...I felt so sorry for him but I was happy that the ending was him still lovng CJW's character and not pairing him off with Lee Jung Hyun/Se-na cos I really didn't like her!! I much prefered LBH's younger sister Lee Min Ji!!!

Also, what I liked about this drama was that there were 2 guys loving one girl...then the guy the girl DIDN'T love had some one loving him. A typical kdrama setup would be 2 guys loving one girl...then the guy the girl loves has another girl loving him too!! I HATE those dramas where 2 girls are fighting for a guy..because they get so bitchy and I always hate girl-baddies more than guy-baddies!! So, it was good that CJW didn't have to **** fight with another girl for LBH...Also, what's different is that throughout the whole drama the love was only between LBH and CJW...CJW and RSW never started anything...her heart was for LBH from the very early stage...its less complexed and it doesn't feel like she's dumped/ditched him for someone else..there was no attachment...which it different compared to STH where CJW and KSW both had their own attachments, Autumn Tale where SSH had a fiancee or WS, etc...

There was no clear 'bad guy' planning a big/main role in this drama which was good...Se-na was the character I hated the most but she was a baddy...just that I didn't like her personality!! Lee Min Chul's dad was sort out a bad guy but his not really part of teh main cast/story and I felt so sorry for him in the end!! Also the ex-singer woman was a bad guy role but she was also minor...I guess I prefer it when bad guys are created to affect the story and life of the characters and not the love between a couple...I hate dramas where the bad guy is the one breaking up a relationship!!

Also, as I said...Lee Byung Hun's character is just so mesmerising!! Charismatic and charming!!! I love how he thanks CJW for loving him...this is probably the 'life altering' bit of the drama...if someone loves you, you shhould thank them for loving you and not curse them for not loving you!! The whole portayal of love and trust and understanding is so strong!! How letting someone go/breaking up with someone is sometimes seen as a good thing to the other even when you love them...possessing someone isn't always the meaning love!! There were also, so many favourite and loving moments in the drama!! The scene where they are in the cinema and LBH laughs with so much pain in his eyes...REMARKABLE...also, I loved the scene where he runs up to CJW in her house/roof top and tells her he wants to thank her for giving him an excuse to keep her by his side and that he will stick by her etc...that was such a GREAT scene!! And the proposal, or when he wipes her tears trying a glass...etc..so many great scenes that stay in my head!! LBH and CJW sure have alot of chemistry in this drama...they are both top actor/actress and its no wonder why so many ppl want them to be real life couple too!! Lastly, I want to say that all the kissing scenes were great!! I mean I'm so sick of kdrama's kissing scenes where the actor/actress kiss and FREEZE and the camera either circulates then of zooms in...its so ridiculous, what kind of a kiss is that?? No movement, no love, no passion, no feel at all!! It makes me feel so awkwark...like I want to laugh and point it out but its not really a right time to laugh...but this drama's kissing scenes between LBH and CJW were very natural and realistic...it will make audience in awww with their hands on their heart rather than hands used to cover mouth!! I can go on and on abouit this drama...its just so great, my fav kdrama absolutely and I don't think it will be replaced very easily!

fifimimi

Post by fifimimi » Apr 2nd, '06, 06:40

apples wrote:I love LBH and his character.. :wub: I'd pick him and minchul over any other korean guy.

loved the ending, even if minchul changed drastically.. but i think it's natural under the circumstances. i didn't really notice it drag in the end. maybe because it's the first kdrama i watched and i had no idea about the ten commandments of kdrama.

at first, i felt sorry for ryu shi won's character.. but i disliked him halfway through the drama. if minchul changed for the better, ryu shi won was the opposite.

for me, it was life-altering.

i also thought choi ji woo and lee byung hun were great in this drama. CJW crying scenes actually impressed me. :lol Thank goodness I watched this before Stairway to Heaven. After watching STH, I don't like her as much as before. I skipped most of the second half of STH cos it was too painful to watch... painfully irritating.. or is it irritatingly painful? sorry :offtopic:

Like what was said in a previous post, if you start on kdramas... or any kdrama with CHoi Ji Woo in it, Beautiful Days is a good pick.
I totally agree with you...whether it the real Lee Byung Hun or Lee Min Chul, I'd still pick them out of any korean guys or characters from other dramas!! Even if it means painful love...it's still worth it if he loves you back...haha...I'm going crazy fo them!!

This wasn't the early k-dramas I had watched but I didn't find this drama typical or draggy!!! Maybe its because this drama's character portrayal is much more dominant/plays such a big part compared to other dramas so the whole feel of the drama is different to the others I have watched! I can't remember if I watched this before WS or after but either way I was much more impressed and supportive towards CJW in this drama cos her character was not as weak, she may have cried alot in this drama too but less squilling and she didn't have the silly haircut like WS and looked much prettier! But after STH, I am not very very sick of her crying!! Cry, ok...but no squilling!! I never got impatient with the drama though...was draggy cos I was just captivated by LBH...minutes just pass so quickly watchin him!!

miaever

Post by miaever » Jun 24th, '06, 13:50

difinitely a must see kdrama!

Sunshine_36

Post by Sunshine_36 » Jul 17th, '06, 18:21

Beautiful Days is the best Korean Drama for me. That was the drama that apparently tangled me into the K-addiction center :P :D. All About Eve and Glass Slippers were the first korean drama that were so so ... but after watching Beautiful Days it caught my attention right away ! More than a must watch :P :D

Songs- 5
Actings- 5
Plot-4

tisa

Post by tisa » Oct 9th, '06, 21:06

I have a spoiler question:
In which episode does Min-Chul decide to give Yun Soo to his half-brother? I need to know because I intend to stop watching when this happens. It simply isn't consistent with Min-Chul character to act like this. I just don't want to spoil this wonderful drama and characters for myself.