[Discussion] HERO (series + SP)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
mart333

[Discussion] HERO (series + SP)

Post by mart333 » Jul 3rd, '06, 12:59

does anyone knows abt this series? looks liike the 2nd season of hero 2 is airing in japan right now.

Can anyone provide the raw eps? or maybe be kind enough to sub it too :P

aiscess83

Post by aiscess83 » Jul 3rd, '06, 13:26

Really? I thought it's only a special :O

gunjourui
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gunjourui » Jul 3rd, '06, 13:29

I only know about a SP that should be aired sometimes soon. haven't heard anything about the whole series tho.

mart333

Post by mart333 » Jul 3rd, '06, 13:37

ohhh it is jsut the special?? I am not really sure myself, I thought it is the 2nd season??
Well it is aired right now as I am typing this message.

Is aired on monday ard 9pm japanese time.

aiscess83

Post by aiscess83 » Jul 3rd, '06, 14:21

Check out their official site for more info: http://wwwz.fujitv.co.jp/hero/index.html

aiscess83

Post by aiscess83 » Jul 3rd, '06, 14:33

Does both Kimura & Matsu..still in the lead?

I can't seem to see their pics in that site..obviously, I know why Kimura's pic isn't there..coz of the copyright thingy but Matsu..

darkflame21

Post by darkflame21 » Jul 3rd, '06, 14:37

It jsut finised here in Japan. Kimura is the lead but the supporting cast is different. I forgetall the actors names but Ayase Haruka was one of them. You get to see the old cast for the last 5 mins or so of the ep, but thtas all.

They seem to have kinda left it open for more if they want to do more with the original cast though. :P

aiscess83

Post by aiscess83 » Jul 4th, '06, 05:16

I see..so, that's why I couldn't find her pic at all :lol ..plus Abe Hiroshi isn't ther either :-( ..some familiar faces I saw in the site aside from Ayase was Tsutsumi Shinichi plus Takuya's rival in Engine and also his coach there

Fujiwara

Post by Fujiwara » Jul 4th, '06, 15:39

ok... i just got back to this forum... it has been a while and i wanted to watch good shows... and what i see here is just a bless!

Hero... MAN!!! Hero ! haha i'm so happy :D

shinhaku

Post by shinhaku » Jul 5th, '06, 17:23

http://forum.yurikamome.info/index.php? ... g38369#new you can dl the raw ep here, i dont think it has been subbed yet since its just release few days ago :)

Fujiwara

Post by Fujiwara » Jul 5th, '06, 22:33

hi actually it is available on d-addicts too, look for the torrent forum, you'll find it ;)

ermac

Post by ermac » Aug 3rd, '06, 11:41

hmmm.. I hope there will be 2nd season for this dorama...
Want to see more takuya and matsu :cheers:

Robina

Post by Robina » Aug 4th, '06, 09:11

I just finish watching Hero series (Thankxx to jem-fansub that i was able to watch it) and it is great and I really enjoy watching it ^^ It's sooo interesting story and now I am downloading Hero SP

and If there is a 2nd season of Hero it will be great :thumright:

Yukster

Post by Yukster » Aug 4th, '06, 10:12

I can't but hope that there is a second season. The special pointed in that direction.

nak

Post by nak » Aug 4th, '06, 10:25

I'm not sure, but i hope there is a 2nd Hero series :mrgreen:
After watching the Hero Special, and as Yukster said, it obviously finished in a way that they can continue onto another series if they wanted to.

Who knows, they might be working on the 2nd series right now :crazy:

LGP1520

Post by LGP1520 » Aug 5th, '06, 07:48

Do you guys know if an english subbed version is out anywhere? Thanks.

GenoSv

Post by GenoSv » Aug 20th, '06, 11:38

LGP1520 wrote:Do you guys know if an english subbed version is out anywhere? Thanks.
softsubs here: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_38157.htm
seems as if they will make a hardsub version when they have edited the subs some more. (although I watched it with the current softsubs and there's no problem, just some minor english grammar misstakes here and there).
they work together with this raw:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_36184.htm

yiuc1

Post by yiuc1 » Aug 24th, '06, 03:07

Currently watching the series... in episode 3 with the cooking teacher, does anyone remember why she dropped the charges? She has this look before while she's watching Kimura and then she drops the charges... but why?? :scratch:

meagermiser5

Post by meagermiser5 » Aug 30th, '06, 06:12

I watched the tv series. Liked it, it was funny, and had the perfect amount of romance for the show (not much, but hints of mutual emotion). I haven't watched the Special yet, but I did catch a glimpse of Takuya Kimura's hair in the Special. All I gotta say about that is, "OMG, I hate it". It looks a kinda orange-ish to me.

oro77

Post by oro77 » Nov 13th, '06, 20:34

Seems a good series but I cannot find it here.

I only find the Hero SP, does someone know where I can get a batch with subs?

albertjlee

Post by albertjlee » Nov 14th, '06, 06:17

oro77 wrote:Seems a good series but I cannot find it here.

same here, i can only find condor heros and my boss my hero. lol

japysia

Post by japysia » Nov 14th, '06, 09:53

oro77 wrote:Seems a good series but I cannot find it here.

http://jem.d-addicts.com:6969/stats.htm ... 34c2994510

phacoel

Post by phacoel » Nov 14th, '06, 10:54

yiuc1 wrote:Currently watching the series... in episode 3 with the cooking teacher, does anyone remember why she dropped the charges? She has this look before while she's watching Kimura and then she drops the charges... but why?? :scratch:
I watched it months ago. I think because finally she realized that other can do the same to her (or maybe she thought that kimura teased her).
Well, i could be wrong :D

banquo

subs for ep. 10-11 of hero

Post by banquo » Aug 1st, '07, 03:01

hi! does anyone know where i can get the eng. subs for ep. 10-11 of HERO? i'm *dying* to watch the last 2 eps. many thanks!!! :cry:

banquo

Post by banquo » Aug 1st, '07, 03:04

i see that someone's already posted the link to the batch ... but it didn't download for me ... sigh. i did, however, dl'ed the raw version from this site. (raw part1 and part2). so ... help?

Angelique

Post by Angelique » Aug 1st, '07, 03:26

The old hardsubbed version has all the episodes and is this one:
http://jem.d-addicts.com:6969/torrents/ ... 10.torrent

Just choose the episodes you want to download with your torrent client. ;)

banquo

Post by banquo » Aug 1st, '07, 04:00

Thank you so much ... that was quick!!!

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 12th, '07, 04:23

hey guys i wonder if someone can help me
on tv in japan right now they are advertising HERO starting in september but i dont know if its a special or a secon\d season or just reshowing the first season, can anyone help me out??

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Aug 12th, '07, 05:30

^ It's a movie...
Roadshow (aka premiere) scheduled for 9/8 I believe...

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 12th, '07, 05:48

will it follow on after the series?
as in should i watch the series first??

Kazuya_

Post by Kazuya_ » Aug 12th, '07, 08:42

I guess if you haven't seen the series at all, it might be better for you to do so, if you want to familiarize yourself with the characters. Since it's a theatrical release, I 'd assume the storyline is not dependant upon the series or the special.

I know that it was partially filmed in South Korea. It also features a Korean actor but I don't remember who.

And the original cast is featured, not the one from the Special.

link to the latest english story I saw about it:

http://www.nt2099.com/J-ENT/news/japane ... onference/

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Aug 12th, '07, 23:38

Yorokobi wrote:will it follow on after the series?
as in should i watch the series first??
I have to say, yes. You better watch the previous series and SP first. Actually, although HERO is a case-by-case dorama, but the SP and the MOVIE are related. A small case in the dorama SP, becomes a big case in the MOVIE. So, at least you better watch the SP first, before you watch the movie.

But then, there might be a major plot on Kuryu-Amamiya's(the two main roles) relationship after 6 years, in the movie. For this one, its kinda necessary to watch the original series^^

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 13th, '07, 01:13

i guess ill watch the drama and special before i see the movie then ^_^ thanks for your help guys

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Aug 15th, '07, 04:42

Yorokobi... you live in Japan right??

HERO series will reruns on FujiTV starting August 17th.

8/17(金)15:58-16:55 フジ「HERO[再放送]」スタート(月~金のこの時間)

Monday to Friday, about 4 PM to 5. Its 11 episodes so it might ended on August 31st^^

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 15th, '07, 04:44

yanie wrote:Yorokobi... you live in Japan right??

HERO series will reruns on FujiTV starting August 17th.

8/17(金)15:58-16:55 フジ「HERO[再放送]」スタート(月~金のこの時間)

Monday to Friday, about 4 PM to 5. Its 11 episodes so it might ended on August 31st^^
I think it may have already started though cause im sure i saw it on tv the other day when i turned it on.
I might just watch it on the net anyway so I can actually understand it.
Thanks for the info though! ^_^

knuts

Post by knuts » Oct 21st, '07, 11:04

Just saw the SP. I hope the film will be better.

Demz

Post by Demz » Oct 22nd, '07, 12:48

Does anyone have the slightest clue about when would the movie be released in dvd? I liked the original serie & SP was more or less continuing the original serie, leaving it open.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Oct 23rd, '07, 08:42

Well... if you ask the slightest clue...

Usually Japanese movies release DVD 6 months after the premiere on movie theatres in Japan. But there are special cases where they release earlier, or even later. But in HERO case, since it's a big hit, it may release even later than 6 months. If we're lucky, the DVD may come out on March next year :-)

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Dec 9th, '07, 13:06

I went and saw the movie today
It was great!
There aint nothing like KimuTaku on big screen I tell ya ^_^
It had the feeling of a special rather than a movie though and could have had a little more suspense but I liked it a lot!

skachild

Post by skachild » Dec 14th, '07, 13:19

Yorokobi wrote:I went and saw the movie today
It was great!
There aint nothing like KimuTaku on big screen I tell ya ^_^
It had the feeling of a special rather than a movie though and could have had a little more suspense but I liked it a lot!
so its that mean the movie is out already..??? :idea:

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Dec 14th, '07, 13:20

its still at movie theatres at the moment but i expect it should come out on dvd either february or march maybe

Skyler88

Will there be a HERO - season 2?

Post by Skyler88 » Jul 4th, '08, 10:22

Am not sure if there's a discussion on this. But would like to know if there's any development for HERO...

Apologise if there's already a discussion.

Cheers!

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Jul 4th, '08, 14:34

Most likely not.

They've pretty much concluded it in the movie, if they were to make a season 2, it'll be almost impossible to integrate any sort of romantic elements.

Skyler88

Post by Skyler88 » Jul 7th, '08, 04:50

8thSin wrote:Most likely not.

They've pretty much concluded it in the movie, if they were to make a season 2, it'll be almost impossible to integrate any sort of romantic elements.
oh... ok. Thanks for yr reply

marriedtomisaki

Post by marriedtomisaki » Jul 7th, '08, 05:10

I wish they would make one though. Somehow. Maybe another movie.

snow_of_dawn

Post by snow_of_dawn » Jul 23rd, '08, 19:21

I think i read somewhere that there would be other movies, in fact what i read was that after the SP they decided 2 make a series of movies (abt 3 or 4) really wish i could remember where i read that so that i can make sure of the information, but anyway if u watch the movie u'll sure get the feeling that the end was designed so that there could somehow be a sequel *crossing fingers*

Ender's Girl

Drama Review: HERO

Post by Ender's Girl » Jun 15th, '09, 08:10

HERO Worship
Drama Review: Hero (Fuji TV, 2001)

The Cast:
Kimura Takuya, Matsu Takako, Abe Hiroshi, Otsuka Nana, Kadono Takuzo, Katsumura Masanobu, Kohinata Fumiyo, Yashima Norito, Kodama Kiyoshi

In a Nutshell:
Self-taught public prosecutor Kuryu Kohei brings his unconventional crime-busting methods to the Josai district office, much to the consternation of the other prosecutors and law clerks.

(SpoilLert: Moderately spoilerish. No biggies.)

I’m trying to rack my brains for something about this drama that I hated, or disliked—even just a teensy bit. Nothing comes to mind. Even the semi-crummy production values (which would seem more at home in 1987 than in 2001, the year the show aired), “spazzy music” (as a user from another forum so brilliantly put it!), and odd, quirky editing style—they all just GROW ON YOU. And to think these are just the technical aspects of the drama.

The soundtrack is SO effin’ catchy! By the end of the first episode I was jerking and twitching along to the now-familiar music, a sly throwback to those old-school detective comedies a la Pink Panther: jazzy and off-beat, with just a hint of sleaze. Brilliant! :clap:

At first the directorial style caught me off balance: the actors speak directly into the lens while the camera swoops in for a close-up, and the dialogue ping-pongs from one person to the next at such a frenetic pace. But the style of Hero actually lends itself well to the screwball, sometimes campy atmosphere. I soon realized how much it reminded me of Baz Luhrmann’s Velvet Curtain oeuvre (Strictly Ballroom, William Shakespeare’s Romeo + Juliet, Moulin Rouge!, and even Australia), dubbed as such because of his penchant for the theatrical. But you know what? I loved every Luhrmann film to freaking BITS (and wish he were more prolific) and he remains to this day my favorite director ever. So going back to Hero, it’s all good, baby.

The great thing about Hero was that despite the drollery and high dramedy, the actors were so completely into their character. Hero scores some of the best ensemble acting I’ve seen in a drama, in a loooong time. That easy rapport among the cast was undeniably there, the comfortable system of trust and reliance so apparent in the way they’d riff their lines off each other, scripted or ad-libbed, any which way. It’s also quite obvious how much the actors simply enjoyed being with each other, and what they were doing—otherwise, this renzoku wouldn’t have had that intangible quality that makes an ensemble drama truly… transcendent. :thumright:

It wasn’t just the acting (which, paradoxically, was so unselfconscious despite the screwball treatment), but also the way each character was written, that I found to be so endearing. It may have taken me a few episodes to warm up to ALL of them (maybe because of the way they all treated Kimura’s character at first, heh—more on that later), but at some point I realized how deeply absorbed I was in each of their own little story lines, the details of their own little interpersonal dramas, filled with their own little hang-ups and insecurities, foibles and follies.

I loved how the story was about ALL of them, and how the writing deftly went from each interwoven thread to another, that by the time the series ends, they feel like old familiar friends. Who can forget the oft-clueless but well-meaning boss, who toes the shaky line separating his subordinates and his superiors? Or the capricious dandy with a mean, competitive streak--but who can’t score a date? Or the hilariously acerbic, overachieving lawyer (Abe Hiroshi!!!) and his office paramour, a coolly sophisticated career woman secretly disenchanted with life—and love? And the law clerks—MAN, DON’T YOU JUST LOVE THEM??? :cheers: The peppy, puckish pencil pusher who dispenses the daily workplace scuttlebutt with almost vindictive glee! The divorced milquetoast who harbors a secret passion for the female prosecutor—and for ballroom dance! Or Amamiya Maiko!!!--The briskly efficient prude who doggedly pursues her lawyerly ambitions--but is naively terrified of falling in love!

Even the minor occurring characters are unforgettable in their own way: the security guard so unappreciated in his vigilance; the overzealous policeman patrolling the Josai district; Nabeshima, the dignified old deputy director of the regional bureau, so wise and so compassionate; and the moody bartender who says little but observes and understands more than he lets on—and who (hilariously!) can whip up any order, anything at all, from his tiny little arsenal of a kitchen, much to the befuddlement of the other characters. Heehee!

And of course, I’ve saved the best for last… :heart:

Kuryu Kohei—what’s NOT to love about him? You love him just as much for his QUIRKS (his obsession with home TV shopping, his penchant for interrogating suspects with oblique and seemingly pointless questions, his stubborn aversion towards formal wear of any kind, even that ridiculous russet-colored bomber jacket he’d bring everywhere, etc. etc.) as for the substance of his CHARACTER—the humility, integrity and kindness, the incredible work ethic and equally insatiable curiosity, and most importantly, the humaneness with which he practices his profession. For Kuryu Kohei, CRIME is the enemy, not the PEOPLE. So he treats everyone (colleagues, suspects, witnesses, even complete strangers) with the decency and compassion that are (sadly) often the first to go when a prosecutor becomes inured to the law-breakers to be dealt with day in and day out. Never mind that he’s not as clever as, say, Shibayama (Abe Hiroshi), or as competitive as Egami (Masanobu Katsumura). Kuryu relies on his street-smarts and natural instincts, coupled with a heart devoid of any iota of personal ambition and self-importance. :salut:

It was brilliant of the writers to insert those little touches illustrating society’s preconceived notions and stereotypes about the law profession. For example, when the prosecutors walk in on Kuryu fixing the main TV set on his first day at work, they simply ignore him (assuming that he’s “just” the repairman) and remain oblivious to the fact that the object of their speculation and debate is literally right under their noses. You KNOW what the inevitable conclusion is to this short comedy of errors, you can see the punch line coming, that moment of realization that throws them all in a tizzy. And later in the episode, you can see Amamiya’s face just deflate when Kuryu casually mentions that never got past junior high and became a lawyer only through self-study. You can just see that little thought bubble by her head, her feelings of consternation tinged with contempt, how she considers herself better-qualified than the man who, by some stroke of (mis)fortune, has become her immediate superior. How can the prosecutors and law clerks take anyone like Kuryu seriously? How can the audience?

The story of Hero is a journey not so much for Kuryu, but for the public prosecutors who get to work with him—though for so brief a time. At the start, you can just feel the lawyers’ ill-concealed scorn towards someone whom they obviously do not accept as a colleague. For how can he be, when he hardly fits the bill—with his outsider status, lack of formal education, and no-frills demeanor? So they give him the most “menial” of legal cases, the minor misdemeanors such as underwear theft or what have you. But it’s Kuryu who ends up cracking the most difficult cases wide open (even those that weren’t on his docket), simply relying on his keen powers of observation (for it’s easier to notice things when you’re being ignored by everyone else) coupled with his characteristic willingness to work longer hours, ask more probing questions, and cover more investigative ground than anyone else in the Josai district office. And each time he’d graciously allow his colleagues to take the credit for a case, I felt like kicking him for being so bloody selfless. But then that’s just how HE is as a person: uncovering the truth, upholding the law—that’s what should be the Big Deal. Everything else is dross.

Funny how this guy turns out to be the best of them all—and by the end of the series, they ALL know it. So on their journey of (re)discovery, the disdain and condescension are gradually transformed into grudging admiration, and finally into complete and wholehearted respect for Kuryu as a law enforcer, as a man, as a human being. :notworthy:

Hero isn’t so much a courtroom drama as it is a legal procedural, because the focus of the scenes is less on the actual trial proceedings and more on the investigative work and legal preparations so crucial to establishing probable cause for a case. It’s the whole PROCESS of fact-finding, of research, of hitting dead-ends and following new leads—that makes crime-solving stories so appealing to me. And part of the enjoyment is derived from seeing the different arms of law enforcement and the judiciary work together to maintain law and order in the world. It becomes more interesting, of course, when you have conflicts of interest, power plays and turf wars among the various branches—as explored in some of the episodes.

In any ultra-competitive meritocracy (and Japan should be riiight up there :roll), people know their place, and nobody ever lets them forget it. The fine class lines remain as entrenched as ever between the social strata, only this time, merit has replaced birth circumstance. In the microcosmic setting of Hero, the prosecutors, the law clerks, the security guards, the beat policemen, the elite detectives—they may all work together for a common goal, each role a distinct cog in the judicial machinery, yet the professional tension remains, one sprung from each person’s acute, almost painful awareness of their own relative status. Who’s got the more impressive credentials. Who outranks who. Who has a more specialized profession. Who enjoys a higher pay grade, etc. etc.

I love how the writing touches on the inherent tension between the prosecutors and the clerks, squeezing from this dynamic some of the most beautiful and touching moments in the entire drama. It isn’t that the prosecutors are wicked stepsisters (who just happen to hold law degrees) out to make life miserable for the hapless clerks. Not at all—it’s just how the system works. The prosecutors have a much bigger responsibility—in decision-making and interpreting the law, in sniffing out potential defendants to recommend for indictment, and later on, in proving a defendant’s guilt in a court of law. While the clerks are the office drones who do the paperwork and pencil-pushing, a routine less mentally challenging but much more physically draining than that of their more exalted officemates.

It’s simply brilliant how little things are used to further illustrate the prosecutor-clerk inequity, but in such scenes, there is always humor, tempered with compassion… To be tacitly expected to get off a crowded elevator when the prosecutors are already inside. To accept your assigned tasks—no matter how unreasonable—meekly and without complaint. To shelve your own dreams (such as winning a ballroom dance contest, or opening a crepe shop) in order to help the lawyers achieve their own. To keep your personal opinions to yourself—because what the prosecutors think will always carry more weight. To work long, grueling hours until the bosses are satisfied and call it day… Yet the writers of Hero manage to embed little gems of hilarity amid the sobering reality, like that time when Abe Hiroshi’s character (Shibayama) makes his clerk, Endo, taste-test his ramen after an anonymous saboteur terrorizes their district office and sets off a wave of paranoia in the workplace. :lol It’s such a small moment, yet it nails the whole skewed dynamic between prosecutor and clerk, and provides as much comic relief as it does insight into the complexities of human relationships.

So you don’t begrudge the clerks their right to feel a little resentment once in a while, particularly when a case hits crunch time and deadlines need to be met—and it’s times like these when the clerks feel the heat the most. That the prosecutors often take their clerks for granted is again less a reflection of the lawyers’ character than it is of the justice system in general. Again, it’s just the way things are, and everyone knows it.

And yet, you keep rooting for the clerks, these foot soldiers so unappreciated yet so indispensable to the system in which they function. The episode that focuses on their “plight” was one of the best for me. Here we see the three male clerks (Endo, Suetsugu and Masaki—the transferee from another district and the one with the crepe dreams) band together and feed off their malcontent, half-seriously dreaming up a foolproof plan to get them out of their bureaucratic hole—which would be to strike out on their own, be their own boss. Watching the three clerks brainstorm on possible fillings for their crepes was as amusing as it was heartrending. The episode takes on a pleasant twist when a particular incident causes the prosecutors to appreciate their clerks to a greater extent than before. The clerk Masaki (a guest actor and not on the main cast) realizes that, unlike his previous district office, the undercurrents of mutual affection and loyalty between the lawyers and their clerks in the Josai office run much deeper than anyone will care to admit. But by then it is too late, he tells Kuryu, he’s just tendered his resignation and has invested far too much in his crepe business to turn back. “If I had worked here from the start,” he confides to Kuryu, “I wouldn’t have resigned.” Made me cry, that scene! :cry:

And then here comes Kuryu Kohei, who cares neither for status nor influence, considering them inconsequential to his calling as a public prosecutor: which is to protect the innocent, and bring wrongdoers to justice. Kuryu possesses such… a clarity of purpose, and an ethical purity so shockingly alien in a field where competition, compromise, and jockeying for personal advancement are the norm.

It is only fitting that a show about law enforcement is imbued with such a strong sense of social justice and moral equity—not just on the level of the cases being prosecuted, but more importantly, on the level of the human relationships in the story. Injustice always begins in the human heart, and all these characters who cross paths with Kuryu Kohei soon find their own personal presumption and bigotry shattered. They learn their lesson, sometimes the hard way, and by the time Kuryu is taken out of their lives (just as abruptly as he entered it), they’ve all become… better people. Not perfect, but BETTER. And that’s more than enough for the time being.

There’s a good symmetry to how everything pans out: Kuryu may have been “defeated” by a system so steeped in bureaucratic bullsh*t, and one entirely beholden to the whims of a bunch of old farts more concerned with protecting their media image than dispensing real justice--“We’re just civil servants,” the prosecutors tell each other resignedly after the ethics committee takes punitive action against Kuryu. But he leaves their district office with their admiration, respect and love—and just by being himself.

The drama may be just eleven episodes long—a heartbeat in the Hollywood time frame—but it manages to pack in such insightful social commentary through the legal cases and the human interactions. There are gender issues: sexism in the workplace, the complications of extramarital affairs, the politics of sexual harassment, etc. There are socio-economic issues: in any society, how much sway do power and wealth really hold over the justice system? There are the law enforcement issues: where does one arm’s jurisdiction begin and end? How much trust and dependence should society place on our law enforcers, when the police and the prosecutors can (with some collusion) willfully tamper with evidence, frame a suspect, or manipulate the outcome of a case? How perfect is the judicial system of a democratic society? How far should a lawyer go to prove the innocence or guilt of a person? To quote Alan Moore, borrowing from the Roman poet Juvenal: “Who will watch the Watchmen?”

Then there are the legal conundrums, those gray areas where what is moral may not necessarily be what is legal, and vice versa. As a prosecutor, which side of Lady Justice must be upheld? The uncompromising side of her that follows the letter of the law in exacting retribution? Or the gentler, more compassionate side that looks beyond the law that was broken and seeks to understand the person and the reason for breaking it? Correspondingly, how do you judge something as intangible as MOTIVE—and say whether it is there or not? The limitation of the law is largely that it is dependent on behavior: the law seeks to pass judgment on actions, deeds, words, conduct. But there are still places in the human heart that even the long arm of the law is unable to reach: why do people do what they do? “How do can you prove there’s love?” Muses Kuryu aloud to a woman he has tried (unsuccessfully) to pin down for marriage fraud. “No one can read another person’s thoughts.” (Ah, love, the inscrutability of love.)

I’ve always, always been a sucker for legal dramas (which largely explains my complete absorption in the plot of Hero), and the best out there deftly tackle the more contentious issues but refrain from passing any judgment outright. In a great drama, all the sides are explored, all the questions raised—but ultimately it is up to the viewer to don the black robes and adjudicate for himself. I probably have yet to encounter a better-written and more satisfying legal drama than David E. Kelley’s The Practice (particularly the first five seasons), which probably grappled with more legal, social and moral issues than any other lawyer show I’ve seen. Hero and The Practice have such disparate formats, but I believe they are alike a way that goes beyond style or format. Both seek to entertain, yes of course (for that is the fundamental goal of television, to entertain an audience), but they also seek to question, to engage, to provoke, to challenge.

That being said, I must append one of my favorite scenes from The Practice, in which the two prosecutors (or D.A.s) on the show, Helen Gamble and Richard Bay (played by Lara Flynn Boyle and Jason Kravits, respectively) are having dinner coming off a particularly grueling case which they have just lost to the defense (Bobby Donnell and his team, the main characters of The Practice).

Helen Gamble: I need it, Richard. Give it to me.
Richard Bay: What?
Helen Gamble: The Speech. Why we do what we do.
Richard Bay: Oh, I am not really in the mood after...
Helen Gamble: PLEASE, Richard. I NEED it. Please give it to me. And don't just phone it in.
Richard Bay: Helen...
Helen Gamble: Please! Can't you see how demoralized I am?
Richard Bay: OK. (takes a deep breath) There are heroes in this world. They're called District Attorneys. They don't get to have clients, people who smile at them at the end of the trial, who look them in the eye and say, "thank you." Nobody is there to appreciate the District Attorney, because we work for the state. And our gratitude comes only from knowing there's a tide out there. A tide the size of a tsunami coming out of a bottomless cesspool. A tide called crime, which, if left unchecked will rob every American of his freedom. A tide which strips individuals of the privilege of being able to, to walk down a dark street or take twenty dollars out of an ATM machine without fear of being mugged. All Congress does is talk, but it's the District Attorney who grabs his sword, who digs into the trenches and fights the fight. Who dogs justice day, after day, after day without thanks, without so much as a simple pat on the back. But we do it. We do it, we do it because we are the crusaders, the last frontier of American justice. Knowing that if a man cannot feel safe, he can never, never feel free.
Helen Gamble: Thank you.

One of my favorite aspects of Hero is the romance angle (NATCH!!!), which is such a lovely complement to the legal/procedural core of the show. Kuryu and Amamiya are always off investigating cases—which ain’t exactly the most romantic thing in the world to be doing, right? But that’s precisely why the love thing worked SO well for me. The Kuryu-Amamiya work-blossoming-into-love dynamic is spiritually akin to the relationship between Hugh Grant and Sandra Bullock in the movie “Two Weeks’ Notice”. I love this film because it DOESN’T build on the love-at-first-sight, cosmic-kismet-fishnet-whatnot premise. It’s great to look at Love as something that grows quietly from friendship, mutual trust and respect, into a deeper and more lasting romantic bond. Also, as in Hero, it would be perfectly natural for two colleagues to end up together after spending so much time around one another—albeit in a purely professional capacity at first. Perhaps a few indispensable seeds need to be sown first (i.e. complementing personalities, good chemistry--both professional and personal, and maybe even a hint—though just a hint!—of physical attraction simmering beneath the surface), but these seeds remain dormant until the time is ripe for the relationship to follow is natural course into That Many-Splendored Thing. To grow, mature, and bear fruit both sweet and—sometimes—bitter. Love can blossom in the most unexpected of places, and between the most unexpected of people. :wub:

Kimura Takuya and Matsu Takako have such terrrrific chemistry together (the result of a good, long working history, so I hear), and you see this in every single moment they share: in their playful banter and verbal sparring, in their sidelong glances (that somehow go unnoticed by the other party), in their teamwork and easy camaraderie, in their mutual admiration and comical myopia towards the glaringly obvious (THAT YOU BOTH LIKE EACH OTHER, DUMMIES!!! :doh:), even in the little things that remain unspoken between them until the very end. Kuryu’s laid-back personality is the perfect foil to Amamiya’s more high-strung nature, though both share a deep commitment to their work (and, more importantly, to the Cause of their work)--they just have different approaches to it. Amamiya, whose no-nonsense style belies her insecurities and naivete vis-à-vis love and romance, has little patience at first for Kuryu’s unorthodox case-solving methodology, but he wins her over (and wins her heart) by being exactly who he is: unpretentious, unassuming, casual—but certainly not careless, and damn right honorable. As in any well-written romance, the sexual tension between our leads is what fuels the romantic thrill: those near-hits and narrow misses, the emotional roller coaster ride where their relationship advances (either by choice or by circumstance) only to lurch two steps backwards (again, either by choice or by circumstance) into neutral territory, much to the sheepish chagrin of Kuryu, Amamiya, and, like, every freaking viewer watching, gaahhh!!! :w000t: But that’s exactly why I’m SO happy that the writers throw us rom-com diehards enough bones in this legal drama to keep us reasonably hopeful that a happy ending is imminent for our favorite legal-eagle couple.

Because the pace of Hero is so brisk, I re-watched the entire renzoku (just 11 episodes! I’m more used to the slower, drawn-out plots of K-dramas) a few days later so I could more fully enjoy the details--the little moments in a scene, the hidden gems of wit and wisdom in the dialogue, the background drama while a major plot development unfolds, even the “filler scenes” I may have overlooked the first time--but which all prove indispensable to the narrative flow. And each rediscovered moment, each new detail, just makes me love this drama more and more. Sometimes, you also need to see the TREES for the forest. And I will never, ever, ever get tired of watching those oddly bent, adorable, screwy little trees. :dance:
Last edited by Ender's Girl on Oct 11th, '09, 11:43, edited 6 times in total.

Peggy

HERO

Post by Peggy » Aug 14th, '09, 18:23

ENDERS GIRL,

You totally amazed me. This is the first time I read your post about HERO. At first I could not understand how you saw so much when you watched it. At the end I realised that you had watched it twice. No wonder you devoured all of it and digested the many little scenes that went into the blending for a perfect satisfying meal.

I was not over excited by HERO the first time I saw it. So many people to watch and so many details of law and and I was not enthralled by Amamiya. However, it grew on me and of course Kimura pulls us all into his character.

I can never understand how anyone can say he plays the same role over and over. Every role in each of his dramas was so different. Of course it is Kimura, but then when you think of any famous film star, they ARE who they are in all their roles just because......they ARE who they are. That is why we admire them for their talents.

Great post EG.

Peg

Ender's Girl

Post by Ender's Girl » Aug 18th, '09, 05:59

Hi Peggy, thanks! :cheers: Er... that's thrice now, actually. :mrgreen: Third time was with my best friend. I also didn't really think you had liked Hero (much), since it wasn't among the titles you recommended when I asked you back then (as a wide-eyed newbie, lol) for Kimura drama advice. And I know you're not Matsu Takako's biggest fan, either, so... :lol Still, it means a lot that you took time to read this despite not being "over excited by Hero." :D You're my sensei when it call comes to all things Kimura (and SMAP!), you know that, right? :salut:

I get your point about how those film stars ARE who they ARE--just the way the viewers like it. Some screen icons like Cary Grant, Julia Roberts and Tom Cruise shot to fame and became household names for being exactly who they were. They had great looks and great personality, and such amazing screen presence, although these attributes may have limited the types of roles offered them, regardless of how much acting talent they had. Movie/TV stars like these would never be called "character actors" for sure, but it's not exactly a bad thing, either. Same thing with Kimura, I guess. :-)

LiarLiar
United States of America

Post by LiarLiar » Aug 20th, '09, 07:36

I just finished rewatching this series. I remember enjoying it the first time around, but I enjoyed it much more this time. It is liked I can finally understand all the jokes and romantic tidbits now that I have watch jdrama for so long. I was relatively new to jdrama when I watch this series the first time. I loved the romance in this series even though it is not a romantic series at all. This time around I watch the movie along with the series, and it had a more romantic ending that is a fitting ending to this series as a whole. All in all, this is a very good series.

P.S. My advice to those who are new to series to watch the movie also because it is much rewarding that way.

[ XD ]

Post by [ XD ] » Jun 21st, '10, 08:22

Hi,
does anyone know where can I download the first season of hero with eng subs ?

Ender's Girl

Post by Ender's Girl » Jun 22nd, '10, 14:16

[ XD ] wrote:Hi,
does anyone know where can I download the first season of hero with eng subs ?
If you have a Livejournal account, direct downloads can be found at the jdramas community over there. Last I checked the Hero MU links (w/ English subs) were still alive 'n' kicking. :-)

http://community.livejournal.com/jdramas

[ XD ]

Post by [ XD ] » Jun 23rd, '10, 14:40

Ender's Girl Thanks a lot !
I really laughed about that face, when I saw it at first I wondered what's that !
Sankya =)

Navigator84

Post by Navigator84 » Jul 19th, '12, 06:23

Hero : my best best best j-drama ever !!!

I don't understand why it isn't more popular ?? >_<

sunflower63

Post by sunflower63 » Jul 19th, '12, 06:39

Hi everyone, I agree that this was a great drama but I wonder if anyone thinks that the special, and the film in particular, were quite disappointing? I couldn't seem to find the same chemistry as in the drama and the story to me just dragged along especially in the film.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 22nd, '12, 06:28

sunflower,
I agree with youthat the first HERO drama was the best. Reading E.Gs opinion once more tonight made me want to see it over again. I can remember much of that drama altho not all of the individual cases. It was the office team and the lawyers and the clerks who made this so interesting. the rapport between Kimura and Matsu was because they really did know one another. He is a friend of her family and her brother was also with Kimura in the drama PRIDE and I heartily recommend that you see that drama if not already seen. They are like brother and sister in a way, and they are very comfortable with one another. You will never see them in a hot romantic scene in my opinion just because that would make them both to embarrassed.
I am sure this is online somewhere and can still be watched.

Carsuke

Post by Carsuke » May 24th, '13, 00:09

Rewatching it, it really is the absolute best J-drama I've seen. Great writing and themes. They don't things like that anymore.

And Kimura x Matsu is my favorite couple.

DragonSpikeXIII

Post by DragonSpikeXIII » May 24th, '13, 00:17

+1, one of the best doramas around, so entertaining from beginning to end.

I didn't like the SP very much but the movie was great!

Carsuke

Post by Carsuke » May 24th, '13, 12:47

They tried to recapture this unique flavor in PRICELESS but despite Kimura (as good as ever), it wasn't even close to HERO. I wish they made a second season.

YukawaManabu

Post by YukawaManabu » Aug 11th, '13, 14:42

I agree they should have made a second season. Heck, they should have made several seasons! This cast is one of the best I've seen in years (Shinsengumi included, of course).
But I didn't like the one with Ayase Haruka in it.

Choasian

Hero

Post by Choasian » Jul 9th, '14, 05:40

Managed to find Hero Season 1 (http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_108895.htm) and Hero SP (http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_36184.htm). Anybody know where I can find Hero Season 2. Also by the way there is a new season starting on the 14th of July.

TimeCompression
Brazil

Post by TimeCompression » Jul 11th, '14, 00:13

The season starting this month is the season 2. As of today, there's only the first season, the special and the movie (not on d-addicts).

tianni

Re: Hero

Post by tianni » Jul 15th, '14, 14:17

Choasian wrote:Managed to find Hero Season 1 (http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_108895.htm) and Hero SP (http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_36184.htm). Anybody know where I can find Hero Season 2. Also by the way there is a new season starting on the 14th of July.

How can I download Hero season 2 EP01?
Thanks!

TimeCompression
Brazil

Post by TimeCompression » Jul 15th, '14, 22:30

You can find it on asiatorrents, if you have an account there. Someone will probably upload here too, just be a little patient.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jul 16th, '14, 10:23

HERO 2nd season Ep1. Despite the nation's low expectation the first episode hit 26.5% average rating and most of the audience made a comment that 2nd season surpassed their expectation and that it is as good as the original.

I have to say I'm one of them. As a big fan of HERO the original series + movie, a fanatic KimuraxMatsu fan and fanatic fan of the original Josai members (Abe Hiroshi, Otsuka Nene, Katsumura Masanobu, Yashima Norito, Kohinata Fumiyo). I swore that the 2nd series will not be as good as the original... For me, HERO = Kuryu + Amamiya. Without her, it'll be like X-Files without Scully, Shinsengumi without Hijikata, TRICK without Prof. Ueda. It was just unforgivable for me.

I read many tweets about Amamiya being talked about by the characters in the first episode, so I decided to watch those scenes only but end up watching the WHOLE episode, because I have to admit, it is OMOSHIROI~!!!!!!!

HERO SUGOI!!! Just...... WONDERFUL!! I was wrong big time about the 2nd series. IT IS as good as the original series as people say. I can't believe it. Everything stayed the same, and yet it's new. I think the biggest helpful factor is that the new cast and staff are big fans of the original 2001 series, you can feel that from watching Episode 1. You can feel the crews' love for the original series, they treasure the original spirit of HERO.
Of course, besides the fact that the director, Suzuki Masayuki and the script writer, Fukuda Yasushi, are the ones who were also responsible for the giant success of the original series. It has the same directing style even with better and enhanced shots. It has the same writing style as well. What I love from HERO and different from other detective dramas is how they are simple cases but makes you think of what's right and wrong, and how usually two different cases are related. The writer still use the same style. They use the same BGMs as well and there was one GOOD additional track as well, that sounds "grand" to me.

The new cast, took me a while to get used to them, but the new bucho, Kawajiri (Matsushige Yutaka) and Tamura (Sugimoto Tetta) have become my favs right away, they are really talented actors. I have nothing against Kitagawa Keiko, in fact I like her, but usually I get disappointed with her acting. Her acting still lacks something here, but I find her performance here is the best among her previous performances in other dramas. Asagi Chika is quite a likeable character for me.

I'm just so glad Endo and Suetsugu are there... it's really a salvation for the original's fans like me.

The most critical factor for me, Amamiya's absence. But no.... apparently, miraculously, I wasn't disappointed at all by her absence, because of Kuryu's love for her is there and prominent. The moment Kuryu felt like giving up he encouraged himself by reminding himself of what Amamiya would say to him if she's there and he impersonated her, that was just the sweetest thing. I melt. Of course, I also really appreciate that we find out what happened to Amamiya after the movie from Suetsugu and Endo's conversation with Asagi (Kitagawa). It's hard to believe, but I can feel Amamiya's presence in this 2nd series, she's around and just waiting for her turn to show up somewhere, someday.
I'm really grateful that the director and the writer seem to treasure Kuryu's feelings for Amamiya. And that badge necklace.... suspicious, for now I'd like to think that necklace was a present from Amamiya cause Kuryu wear it everywhere he goes, and there was a small moment that shows the necklace is something important for him.

Since everything stays the same as the original, I was wishing that they'd use "Can You Keep A Secret" as the themesong. But then a fan on Twitter made a comment "That song lyrics is about Amamiya's feelings for Kuryu, they can't use it for the 2nd series"
Ack! Sou ka! Totally forgot about that XD I wish Utada Hikaru would make a new song for the 2nd series... but I guess she's in hiatus right now?

I love the story and crime case in Episode 1. It's not boring at all, it's so weird. I thought I had enough of detective/crime dramas. But HERO is just different. The way Kuryu solve it and how it doesn't turn into a cliche false charge. It's just enjoyable to watch.
Many detective dramas tells stories about cases about to be expired cause it'll hit 15 years soon, but this is the first time I understand the case won't be closed just by capturing the criminal, the case will only be closed/solved after the criminal is prosecuted, so its all up to the prosecutor. And none of other dramas ever show them trying to race with time, to solve the case, right before it expired. It was really something fresh for me to see. I like how the suspect kept looking at the clock. And, running Suetsugu-san! lol. That was hilarious! I like how they were trying to chase the time before the case expired.
Moriyama Naotaro, the singer, played Oonishi the suspect in Ep1. I was pleasantly surprised that he can act. He should do more acting job.

I still want to talk about my other fav scenes, but it's getting long so I'll stop here :P

darji

Post by darji » Jul 16th, '14, 17:06

Oh man what a long but so accurate post. My posts are normally pretty small but I totally agree with you. IT was a great start for a new Hero Season and I am really glad that this show is back.

I have not watched jdramas in a long time because somehow nothing really interest me and now it is totally different then the good old days but man this show made me really nostalgic and I loved every minute of it.

I really hope Amamiya has some kind of role in this show and be it some flashback. They had such great chemistry in season 1. Would be a real shame. But they are already hinting at their past so I am really excited to see how all of this turns out.

They really did a great job with the first minutes to make it look like the beginning of the first season but in he end it still was different enough. I really liked the conclusion as well. IT gave me this warm good feeling I had not felt in a long time while watching a Jdrama and I am really thankful for that.

superdevilgundam
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by superdevilgundam » Jul 17th, '14, 05:28

it felt just like the old series (i liked the original series and movie and sp it was one of my first jdrama)... but for some reason while watching the 1st episode i felt that this style of drama has not aged well and i didnt enjoy it. i think its because ive been exposed and watched so many good and other different types of dramas out there through the years.
hopefully they do something new with the second season but i doubt it since fujitv wants the ratings, they will stick with the safe path and just do the same show albeit with different side characters.

RetroHelix
Germany

Post by RetroHelix » Jul 17th, '14, 16:09

superdevilgundam wrote:it felt just like the old series (i liked the original series and movie and sp it was one of my first jdrama)... but for some reason while watching the 1st episode i felt that this style of drama has not aged well and i didnt enjoy it. i think its because ive been exposed and watched so many good and other different types of dramas out there through the years.
hopefully they do something new with the second season but i doubt it since fujitv wants the ratings, they will stick with the safe path and just do the same show albeit with different side characters.
I think it is a question of taste. I don't want them to come up with anything new. Its good to see they are sticking to the old formula imo. Maybe it's because I don't like how doramas changed in the last years in general.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jul 18th, '14, 02:49

superdevilgundam wrote:i think its because ive been exposed and watched so many good and other different types of dramas out there through the years.
Wow, it works totally the other way around for me :D HERO was one of the first J-dramas for me too and I really didn't get the beauty of the drama the first time I saw it, especially because I was more into J-drama rom-coms back then and LoveGene's Teppei and Riko image stuck tightly in my mind. Then I start watching more and more J-dramas, got tired of rom-coms and started trying to find different kinds of dorama. Then I re-watched HERO and that's when I fell in love.

The thing is, this is a 2nd season after 13 years. If it airs 2-3 years later after the first season, I think it'll be safer to explore new things for the series. But for now, people want to see the original stuff, so they have to stick to the same formula from A to Z. I have not seen one comment by the Japanese audience that complains about this 2nd season, I was surprised myself cause there are quite amount of anti-KimuTaku society there, but some opinions says that even people who doesn't really like KimuTaku, likes HERO as a drama in general. I'm more surprised that people doesn't complain about the exact same characters type.
Asagi = Amamiya
Tamura = Shibayama
Baba = Nakamura
Uno = Egami
And that they actually like it.

Of course Asagi is not as ambitious and stiff as Amamiya, Asagi is definitely more fashionable and more feminine than Amamiya... but the way she gets upset with Kuryu's weird way in solving cases is pretty much the same.
And then Uno likes Asagi, exactly the way Egami likes Amamiya, and so on.

I noticed it, but strangely this factor doesn't bother me. Normally, I would, but it doesn't. Maybe the writer know that the audience will be missing the dynamic interaction between the old Josai members, so he had to come up with similar characters and similar relationships. I see none of the Japanese audience complain about it as well.

The soon-to-be-expired jewelry robbery case is new and fresh enough for me. I also like how the case kept being shoved over from one prosecutor to another prosecutor. As far as I remember, it hasn't been done yet in S1.

A little bit worried about Episode 2 though. Kuryu vs lawyer, it was Kuryu vs lawyer too in Ep2 of season1. :unsure:

ailahai

Post by ailahai » Jul 18th, '14, 04:21

I'm one of who not favour KimuTaku works... but its difference he acts with Matsu Takako, I will cheering them. I think in season one, Kuryu was a bit slow to pick up what other says to him, he always made a pause and that's interesting.... I don't see that in this season. Also Endo loved to eavesdrop others and spread it... and that also not portrays in this season. And LOL Suetsugu, he was secret admirer of Nakamura, i thought he still stick with that but haha he change it to Baba.

I wonder how Shibayama, does he already got divorce with his wife, his son isn't not child anymore... maybe he lost interest with his cute child voice over phone haha.

Aannd I wanna they playing again "can u keep a secret" when Amamiya makes an appearance. that song really belong to them :D

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Jul 18th, '14, 05:30

To be honest, I never saw, why "Hero" was such a big hit. I really do like Kimura Takuya and I watches several dramas with him. All of them I liked. Hero meanwhile...I don't know. I think I stopped watching the first season somewhere in the middle. Each episode just felt SO LONG. I cannot put my finger on it what it is exactly, but the episodes always felt so slow and boring to me. It hasn't changed so much with the second season, although teh first episode was of course a longer one. I still enjoyed the first episode of the second season more, than the first seasons episodes though. And I think I know, what it is...or better who:

Kitagawa Keiko

I never understood why so many people hate on her. Yes, she's not the best actress, even by jdrama standards. But she hasn't got to be, because of one fact: stage/screen presence. Up to know, I really liked ever drama with her in one of the main roles and I think, she will make me enjoy Hero 2 much more than I would without her.
Besides her as an actress, I like her character. It seems decently interesting with her often changing behaviour, leaving enough room for "surprising" backstories (yankeeship in high school, delinquent phase afterwards, stuff like that).

All in all I'm looking forward to the next episodes and give it a chance, even if I didn't like the first season very much.

The ratings are really quite good. I didn't expect the first episode passing the 20% mark. Episode two will be interesting. Will Hero loose the usual 2-3% or will it nosedive under 20%? I hope not, because I like Kimura and I hope he will be cast for dramas in the future. In regard to the bad viewership rating of his last dormas, I think a big succsess would be nice for him and will uppen the chance, that he will be cast for other dramas.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jul 18th, '14, 06:47

The review and critics for the first episode has been very good, story wise, cast, directing, etc. So I'm hoping for an increase, but ratings is really unpredictable and cannot be judged by the reviews it gets.
So yeah, I predict 23% for Ep2 but there's possibility a sudden drop 20% as well. Everyone still think the 26.5% they achieved was because of HERO's "brand". The true ratings starts from Ep2.

Interesting story.

The new president of FujiTV, Kameyama Chihiro (who was the chief producer of the drama back in 2001), made a statement before "I hope for 20% ratings, but the era has changed now. 15% nowadays has the same value as 30% in the past. So I aim for an average rating of 15%"
A rumor article mentioned that Takuya responded to that statement on the set when he was just casually chatting with staff. "What is this guy talking about? I don't get it. 15% is 15% darou"
People on Twitter made a cynical comment "Wow, 26.5%! That's 52% for Kameyama huh" (fyi, Kameyama have a bad reputation as FujiTV president recently)

LOL, I have to agree with Takuya. No matter how low the ratings nowadays, Kaseifu no Mita and Hanzawa Naoki has proved that even nowadays TV can achieve over than 40% rating. I think it's just a matter of timing+luck :D

Anyway, some information.

Producer made an official statement already.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20140 ... mycomj-ent
The 2001 regular cast will make appearances in later episodes. The media assumed that means including Matsu Takako, Abe Hiroshi and Otsuka Nene will also make appearances.

Also, I read somewhere else the producer said "I cannot promise anything for now but I do hope Matsu Takako-san will make an appearance somewhere in the series"

There's also a rumor that the 2nd movie production (following the 2nd series) has been decided. Matsu Takako will also star and the filming starts in December 2014.

I was wondering about the fact Otsuka Nene (Nakamura) and Katsumura Masanobu (Egami) not being the regular cast in the 2nd series. So far, every rumor and media only mentioned that Matsu Takako and Abe Hiroshi's agencies declined the job, but none ever mentioned that Otsuka and Katsumura declined. I wonder if Otsuka and Katsumura couldn't join the 2nd series to fit the story in, because Matsu and Abe has declined, but they were actually available and wanted to be regular cast in the 2nd series.

Well, whatever it is I have faith n the old Josai members' friendship bond. All six of them (Matsu, Abe, Otsuka, Katsumura, Yashima, Kohinata) went to see SMAP concert in 2010, together sitting next to each other holding Takuya uchiwa-s, although there was no HERO in that year. Takuya also mentioned in radio that the (old) Josai members frequently have gatherings and celebrations (when one member have birthday or just got married) in these 13 years span. I have faith that they will make an on-screen reunion happens.

MarlinaZ

Post by MarlinaZ » Jul 18th, '14, 14:52

Thanks very much everyone, especially Yanie for all your feedback, reviews, comments and info about Hero 2014. I am really hoping that this will be Kimura's comeback (after a slump in drama ratings over the past few years) as he really is an accomplished, versatile and seasoned actor. I think the rating of 26.5% is fantastic and hope that they will be able to maintain, if not increase, this rating over the duration of the drama =)

darji

Post by darji » Jul 18th, '14, 16:45

wow a second Movie with Matsu Takako would be really awesome. That makes me hope she will be in this season in some way as well^^

Otherwise I agree with Kimura.

Doramas have sadly changed that is probably one reason why we won't see any huge ratings for a lot of them anymore. It is not only a whole new generation of actors which are nothing like the old ones but also the viewer and so the viewers habits have changed. I wish they would produce more series with the old feeling. I do not way but all the new stuff is not as interesting anymore. Maybe it is because of the actors which seem really replaceable these days. I really miss the uniqueness and the charisma of the old generation.... Kimura still has these vibes but without any great support it is impossible to recreate the old feeling of these shows...

kathia_sophia

Post by kathia_sophia » Jul 18th, '14, 19:26

yanie wrote:LOL, I have to agree with Takuya. No matter how low the ratings nowadays, Kaseifu no Mita and Hanzawa Naoki has proved that even nowadays TV can achieve over than 40% rating. I think it's just a matter of timing+luck :D
Yep I have to agree with Kimura, 15% is 15%, of course, nowadays that is such a huge acomplishment because it is hard to get there as many things changed with time (like other members say, diference with the old generation of actors, the viewers change, etc...), but is not equivalent to 30% IMO.
Kaseifu no Mita and Hanzawa Naoki achieved 40% in ratings despite the decline on doramas. It means that a good cast, good script, good promotion and good visuals make a diference no? I watched those two and I must say I understand 40% rating, it was god-like to me, very amazing since the begining to the end.
Doramas that have low ratings, if you watch them you'll understand why...

I hope the team production and the team actors of Hero can work properly together and work hard so that they keep the good ratings until the end. I think this dorama has great chances of being a huge hit...