The Gifts!

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
TaintedWisdom

The Gifts!

Post by TaintedWisdom » Jul 3rd, '06, 07:07

Hiya guys,
I have heard many times that usually when people visit Japan they bring little gifts from the United States(or where they from etc.) as a sign or respect and appreciation and what not.

However, what exactly do they expect
what type of gift they normally get?
what do they like?
what do they want?

for anyone who knows, have given, or has received (or you can explain in detail)
please let me know. If everything goes well next summer is me and my friend in Japan and this is something I consider VERY important.

Thank You Very Much.

TaintedWisdom

Post by TaintedWisdom » Jul 5th, '06, 03:10

Sorry but I am bumping this one.
Either the story is false, our you people are so cheap ya dont give gift hehehe.

slippy

Post by slippy » Jul 5th, '06, 03:18

I'm from the northeast of America so when i went i brought things like a candle with a boat glass piece it shines throo, a little notepad with a lighthouse on it, and some other things....my mom mainly picked the things out. They also wanted peanut butter and maple syrup, I guess they don't have them in Japan. Good luck

TaintedWisdom

Post by TaintedWisdom » Jul 5th, '06, 04:56

heheh maple syrup and peanut butter (I really did not expect to hear those)
I'm from New York City (currently living with my parents since is summer recess for me in brooklyn but I am a city person, brooklyn and manhattan are my thing and what I know like the palm of my hands) what you guys recomend or should bring?

Things like "Big apple" suverniers, and other time square stuff seem cheesy in my opinion, then again maybe thats what they want.

Come on guys, keep the suggestions and experience comming :)

Note 1: slippy, it sounds like you stayed over someones house correct? In my case I doubt that will happen so I cant just ask my host family "what you guys want from new york hhehe" but thanks for sharing the advice.

Note 2: slippy, you from maine?

Note 3: I was born in Puerto Rico and I go there every year at least once... but I thought maybe I stay away from Puerto rican gifts since chances are they have no idea where the hell thats at, let alone what we like.
Last edited by TaintedWisdom on Jul 5th, '06, 05:00, edited 1 time in total.

aoi_hana

Post by aoi_hana » Jul 5th, '06, 04:58

I have a similiar problem, I'm leaving for Japan in 20 days and I don't know what to bring. I live in Arizona, so.. cacti and dust?

TaintedWisdom

Post by TaintedWisdom » Jul 5th, '06, 05:02

aoi_hana wrote:I have a similiar problem, I'm leaving for Japan in 20 days and I don't know what to bring. I live in Arizona, so.. cacti and dust?
See I am not alone :salut: :P

Is odd cause hardly anyone has answered(even thought they have read the thread) which is making me belive they either never been to Japan, don't take gifts with them, or just don't give a flying BLEEEEEPPP!!! :D

May I suggest you bring them the grand canyon hehehe jk.
Go like this: Guys I was going to bring ya something from arizona but there isn't BLEEP there. hahaha jk jk(love)

TaintedWisdom

Post by TaintedWisdom » Jul 6th, '06, 10:04

Bumping this one cause I am not the only one in need of a response, others to need it ASAP.

tekistar

Post by tekistar » Jul 6th, '06, 15:48

Although I've never given or received a gift from Japanese people in those terms, I'd say go with the cheesy gifts. Things that scream, "THIS WAS BOUGHT IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, BIYATCH!". Or something like that. Maybe some T-shirts that say, "I <3 NY" or something equally cheesy? Ooooo, or some snow globes with the Empire State Building or something. Snow globes will amuse anyone. =D

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Jul 6th, '06, 15:53

girls love disney ^_^

Kakihara

Post by Kakihara » Jul 6th, '06, 16:21

We always bring the same things:

Bourbon and cigarettes for the guys
Makeup and scarves for the girls
A bunch of cans of Planters nuts

It is important to bring something to give to the people you meet. You might get scolded if you don't bring something for everyone. But, you can get just about everything in Japan that you can get in the USA. Plus, it's usually better in Japan. We did bring souvenier plates and vases once. But they just end up as clutter. Disposable and small cool gifts are preferred. Like cool lipstick, Maker's Mark bourbon, Hermes scarf (you can get in Japan, but cheaper in the USA)

TaintedWisdom

Post by TaintedWisdom » Jul 6th, '06, 23:52

Hehhe, right disney products for girls sounds like a nice idea (almost childish but then again they like sanrio stuff)

gwee

Post by gwee » Jul 7th, '06, 00:11

Just get them something from the airport. Like mini keychains of where you are from. I mean, I'd like to recieve one if I was them. xD But eh, its just a suggestion. xP

Rakkie

Post by Rakkie » Jul 7th, '06, 01:42

If you're from New York it's easy, just go to the nearest souvenir shop and pick up some of those mini statue of liberty things.

Other than that, packs of Hershey's kisses are always popular because ppl like it's hard to get them outside of america.

TaintedWisdom

Post by TaintedWisdom » Jul 7th, '06, 02:38

Ok so far as for myself I guess:
1)Keychains from new york.
2)Other liberty/big apple products here at times square
3)Hershey's Kisses (are you serious, you cant find them in japan?_
4)Disney products (are they hard to get in Japan?)

5)Kakihara, your suggestions were cool but bourbon whiskey? cant you get that like anywhere? and who the hell drinks that? thats mostly for cooking heheh

as for the hermes scarf, are they like in style in japan? cause I don't see anyone here in new york with them. I like your suggestions a lot but can you elaborate on it a bit cause they a bit different.

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Jul 7th, '06, 02:49

its not really that disney products are hard to get in japan, its just popular. i have yet to meet a native japanese girl that didn't smile with joy when given/shown disney items...seriously. back in highschool i remember we had japanese students visit for a week or so and all the girls would crowd around just to see a mickey mouse doll. i also remember one girl was taken to the local mall where she spent a good 99% of her time in the disney store.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jul 7th, '06, 03:42

TaintedWisdom: moving this to the japan section.

no one's mentioned this, but the 'gifts' you speak of is referred to as 'omiyage' in japan. perhaps you can find ideas on google. good luck.

TaintedWisdom

Post by TaintedWisdom » Jul 7th, '06, 21:13

jholic once again thanks a bunch I looked it up under that name and found more stuff like chocolate gifts ehehe.

But eitherway, lets keep the opinions coming.

EdisonLiu

Post by EdisonLiu » Jul 8th, '06, 00:27

I have lived in Japan for 2 month last year and been there in 2004 too and planning to go there again next year. I can help suggest some if you like. I have one question unanswered.

Are you planning to meet someone or visit someone?
If you are than should just get something simple and nice. It does not have to be expensive. But don't go buy like a t-shirt or something too cheap. Chocolates are nice gift to give. Best kind to give would be Godiva ones, which I like very much also :). The reason why the chocolate is nice to give because it suits the whole family, and not just leaving out anyone.

If not than you would not need to bring anything.

Those products from NY... keychains, hersheys?.... I don't know about that.

Japan is the industry of fashion. They have everything. If you are planning to buy some nice things, you are going to spend some big bucks in Japan. I mean big.

It is going to be hot so wear some loose clothing and put on some suntan.

Best place to shop: Harajuku, Shibuya, Ginza (expensive and also huge), hmm i think those are the 3 top places to shop, but I have a feeling i am missing one more place.

TaintedWisdom

Post by TaintedWisdom » Jul 8th, '06, 01:12

Well yes I plan to meet someone by the time I get there (but not like a host family or anything of that sort). I was guessing for that case to just spend some money and buy something really nice.

Now as for other people, I could have swore it was custom to bring like chocolates and stuff like that to people that treat ya nice etc.

Also, the new york products is a bad idea? Everyone has mention is a good idea (now I am even more lost)

As for the summer haha no worries, no matter how hot is not hotter than where I am from (I am from puerto rico and I visit there every year, we have temps of over 120+) but thanks for the suggestions. I will probably bring like 2-3 jeans and like 1-2 shorts (shorts are fine in Japan right?)

Now on the fashion, yes I heard is pretty expensive but I have to get some hehehe. I am putting money aside just for fashion stuff (Heck I might just pick some girl to give me a japanese makeover hahaha) (don't get me wrong I am very fashionable, but no matter how good I dress here it wont compare to Japanese fashion)

Lastly on to the chocolates, I AGREE GODIVA is one of my favorites (I 'm a dark chocolate lover, I have tried 1000's of different dark chocolates NO JOKES) But I must say the chocolate covered strawberries they have at the godiva stores are damn good.
I was wondering though, isn't godiva like NOT AMERICAN? aren't they from gemany or belgium or something like that?

EdisonLiu

Post by EdisonLiu » Jul 8th, '06, 01:26

Some of the fashion clothes I bought from Japan, I can't wear in the US. people will think I am you know .... haha But anyways, I like japanese fashion.

One place to be for foriegners is Ropongi, but you got to becareful there. You will understand when you go there.

Here is a link on Godiva chocolates http://www.godiva.be

I like all chocolates from Godiva, some may taste funny, but enjoyable.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Jul 8th, '06, 04:26

i get postcards / souveniers that say NY, or chocolate, or cookies or something.

TaintedWisdom

Post by TaintedWisdom » Jul 8th, '06, 05:00

hahah no need for the link (I told ya I eat godiva) I was just doubting they where an american company and yep they not (they Belgium)

So far I am guessing the chocolate idea is the best as it's easy to carry around (I can wrap them individually) and they taste good (most people like chocolate anyways, heck I love Pocky myself so if anyone brings a box for me I would def consider them my friend, soooo I am guessing if I bring some godiva and some other company it will be appreciate it.

Now as to bringing something to someone expecting ya, what ya recommend?
Here we can go with something expensive (not like a diamond or anything of that sort though)

hikkichan

Post by hikkichan » Jul 8th, '06, 07:58

It depends on who you are meeting.

If you're meeting a friend that you've known for a while and have actually met before, you don't need to bring something, as you're already acquainted, and he/she's obviously more inclined towards western culture and doesn't care if you bring something or not. If he/she wants something, they would've requested it.

As far as omiyage goes, it's a Japanese custom for Japanese people. If you go on a trip/business trip... it's often customary to bring something from that place back for your family and your co-workers.

As a foreinger, they really don't expect you to know those things, so they just chalk it up if you don't bring anything.

If you are going to bring something, bring food... preferably something that's non-perishable or at least lasts for a while... usually indictive of where you're from.

TaintedWisdom

Post by TaintedWisdom » Jul 8th, '06, 08:28

thanks for the response hikki,
The people I will be meeting are 1 female and 2 male, however I have never met them before.
Still have a while to think about what I bring to those.

Now as for the other random people, how does Ghirardelli chocolate sounds?
It taste good and is 100% made in the united states.

If you have some suggestions, please let me know :D

Gozen

Post by Gozen » Jul 8th, '06, 08:42

Whatever you decide to buy, make sure it's beautifully gift wrapped (don't just hand it over in the carrier bag) and don't make out like it's a big deal, they would usually say, oh it's just a small gift - even if they spent a fortune on it. I think (and I'm probably wrong, but whatever) that the presentation of the gift, and the fact that you took the trouble to learn the custom and present it to them in a modest way, will get you bigger approval, no matter what is actually in the package! Whiskey is always a good bet, or bourbon maybe. Expensive chocolates or a really nice arty book of photos of New York.

TaintedWisdom

Post by TaintedWisdom » Jul 8th, '06, 08:47

on the subject of beautifully gift wrapped, what type of gift wrap ya think would look nice.

cause for example I bought my mom a 2ct diamon ring and stuff for her birthday last year which cost me a fortune and well they pretty much gift wrapped it with some semi transparent strings, and basic paper. I never really seen CRAZY NICE gift wraps as I normally see them as something you throw away (as I bet most americans do hehe)

Gozen

Post by Gozen » Jul 8th, '06, 09:27

The look of something, the outer surface, is more important than the content. Buy something in a department store and pay a little extra for gift wrapping, or buy good quality paper. Ribbons and bows are also good, but nothing too cheap and nasty! In this instance, a lot of women are really good at gift wrapping so maybe get some help. In the west, good wrapping sometimes makes us feel, what a waste, because we are only going to open it and tear up the lovely wrapping. It's different in Japan and maybe other places too. If you were in London, and got a small, inexpensive trinket gift wrapped in Harrods store wrapping paper, it would be admired. There's probably a classy department store in New York that will do the same, and it will save you hours with scissors, sticky tape and ribbons!