What is your favorite Takuya Kimura Drama Series

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
sherriebes

What is your favorite Takuya Kimura Drama Series

Post by sherriebes » Jul 6th, '06, 05:35

The first Japanese drama that I watched was Takuya Kimura's Good Luck!. and I fell in love with him.

What else can you recommend among other drama series that he did?

rambutan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rambutan » Jul 6th, '06, 05:37

My top fave is Long Vacation followed by Pride and Beautiful Days. Good Luck is actually not much to my liking.

LightningEmperor

Post by LightningEmperor » Jul 6th, '06, 05:37

I would have to say either Pride where he totally beat the crap out of someone or Beautiful Life.

Gozen

Post by Gozen » Jul 6th, '06, 06:51

I've enjoyed all his work. It doesn't hurt that he is aesthetically pleasing, of course.....my current favourites are A Million Stars Fall From the Sky and Engine, but I loved Long Vacation and Pride too. I have Good Luck ready to watch, but I'm trying to get my blood pressure down first, cos I might expire from the drool fest he's bound to produce. My only criticism of his various series is that I usually can't stand the sight of his female leads. The big exception to that is Long Vacation, sorry I can't remember her name, but I thought her character was great and she was sooooo different to most women portrayed in doramas.
Mostly, you can't go wrong with one of his series, though, they are usually terrific!

Littleangel91356

Post by Littleangel91356 » Jul 6th, '06, 07:41

He's awsome, well to describe him more, I would say a true 'natural' actor. I never feel that he fakes or exaggerates any of his roles and he is really intellegent on knowing how to portray his roles and being able to calculate onto how to express it. His manager is also a genius in finding the dramas that are for him.

I truely enjoyed Long Vacation, HERO, and Beautiful Life. Loive generation was so so. The storyline was whack...but that's a while ago when I was like..9 or 10. I think Matsu Takako's character wasn't really good I guess.

Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog » Jul 7th, '06, 01:44

Nobody likes Love Generation?

I like Long Vacation and Love Generation the best, the dramas that he's done in recent years doesn't appeal to me much for some reason. I did not finish watching Beautiful Life, cause I found out what's the ending halfway through the show... bah~ completely killed my interest in the show.

Skykim

Post by Skykim » Jul 7th, '06, 02:00

If you looking for something in the same vein as "Good Luck!" you're probably gonna be fine with "Pride" and "Engine". Otherwise definitely seek out "Long Vacation", it's one of the best dramas ever.

guccijana

Post by guccijana » Jul 7th, '06, 02:01

ohh mine is engine hiihihihi

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Jul 7th, '06, 02:13

1) Pride
2) Love Generation
3) A Million Stars Fall From the Sky
4) Beautiful Life

i've seen & love most of his works, but those four are on the top of my KimuTaku dramas

koolaid

Post by koolaid » Jul 7th, '06, 07:21

(1) Beautiful Life
(2) Love Generation

skachild

Post by skachild » Jul 7th, '06, 10:50

i like beautiful life and pride..!!! but,
i hate engine.... :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Saragorn
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Saragorn » Jul 8th, '06, 02:09

Pride, Engine, and Sora Kara Furu Ichioku no Hoshi (Million Stars) are my favorites. I think. There are really so many to choose from...

arvinaty

Post by arvinaty » Jul 10th, '06, 23:25

its definitely Love Generation, Beautiful Life and Pride

the best dramas ever *_*

Toritorisan

Post by Toritorisan » Jul 13th, '06, 04:15

For me, definitely Nemureru Mori! I loved his character in this one... mysterious and cool! He really blew me away with his performance in this one and my friend and I were glued to the set when it first aired. I liked him also in Sora Kara Furu Ichioku no Hoshi, Long Vacation and Pride too.

Sakari

Post by Sakari » Jul 13th, '06, 05:10

Gozen wrote:... I usually can't stand the sight of his female leads. The big exception to that is Long Vacation, sorry I can't remember her name, but I thought her character was great and she was sooooo different to most women portrayed in doramas.
Tomoko Yamaguchi. Unforgettable.

Yes, Long Vacation is my favorite, too.

sad clown

Post by sad clown » Aug 17th, '09, 21:54

hi ..

actually takuya is the best actor cuz he can play any role , handsome , has his own style and
his performance is pure like the first snow

i my self has subed two of his dramas

engine and long vacation ( arabic ) .

long vacation is the best drama of the best actor

so it is almost best drama ever and thats why i have watched long vacation 11 time

yes the leading role in this drama is for an actress

but his role was a leading one too .

anyway

the top five are ;-

5- million stars

4- pride

3- good luck

2- love generation

1- long vacation

thats all

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Aug 17th, '09, 21:59

Oh come on ppl Takuya is nowhere the best actor.. He can play a variety of roles? Come on this guy plays the same role in everything, like literally the same role. >.>

tkah

Post by tkah » Aug 17th, '09, 22:05

He may not be the best actor but he is popular and I like his dramas. Here are some of my favorites in order:
1) Pride
2) Hero
3) Long Vacation
4) A Million Stars falling from the Sky
5) Good Luck
6) Change
7) Karei Naru Ichizoku

I like all his dramas but those are on the top of my list. Mr. Brain would be at the bottom of my list so far...

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Aug 17th, '09, 22:24

I'm not saying hes a bad actor, I myself like some of his dramas too.

A Million Falling stars
Hero
Pride

Gierma

Post by Gierma » Aug 17th, '09, 22:42

Well I Have to agree with kuro570, he tends to repeat the same cool guy role in several of his dramas.
But he plays it good! :thumright:
I think that Kimura's acting is pretty good, at least from what i have seen up until now, and I've seen quite a few dramas, he is VERY good in his acting. Plus I haven't seen yet a drama of his that i didn't like, so i agree that when you see his name with the cast there is a gurantee that the drama will be good.
As for my best Kimura drama I guess that would be Engine cause that was the first one that I saw with him and of course Long Vacation.(havent seen Million Stars yet but I'm sure it's good)
As for MR.BRAIN I think he's pretty good there too I really liked that goofy side of the role( I'm little tired of the cool guys...)

a00za

Post by a00za » Aug 17th, '09, 22:48

in long vacation and in Mr.Brain

jnara

Post by jnara » Aug 17th, '09, 23:04

The Grand Tribe

nnnc

Post by nnnc » Aug 17th, '09, 23:06

I agree he's not the best actor, but I would say he's among one of the very few good Japanese male actors. He can emote really well with his eyes and body languages, the ability that many of the current young actors obviously lack. Watching this season's dramas confirm that for me. (However, I still believe that his fellow SMAP -- Kusanagi Tsuyoshi is the best actor among all Johnny/ikemen actors)

I really do think he can play a variety of roles, but he hasn't been given that much opportunity. He has been casted to play the same type of role over and over but I think he also gave different details to each of his characters. Halu from Pride was clearly different from Jiro (Engine), even though they shared certain traits and personalities. For me, Karei Naru Ichizoku's Manpyo Teppei was a role that showed his versatility as an actor. His role in the movie Buchi no Ichibun was also not the typical "Kimutaku" role, and I think his acting in that movie was excellent.

ainhoa

Post by ainhoa » Aug 17th, '09, 23:33

long vacation, hands down. best drama evar.

bonaparte

Post by bonaparte » Aug 17th, '09, 23:49

kuro570 wrote:Oh come on ppl Takuya is nowhere the best actor.. He can play a variety of roles? Come on this guy plays the same role in everything, like literally the same role. >.>
Aww it's not that bad! Of his dramas I've seen, he has two roles. XD The shy, hesitant role (Long Vacation) and the ~cool~, arrogant one (everything else I've seen >>).

Anyway, of Kimutaku's dramas I've seen Pride, Long Vacation, Love Generation, Sora kara Furu Ichioku no Hoshi, Good Luck, Engine, Karei-naru Ichizoku, and Beautiful Life. The best ones are definitely <b>Long Vacation</b> and <b>Pride</b>. I disliked Love Generation, and the others were fine but not particularly memorable.

One thing I like a lot about Pride and LV is that there's none of that awkward let's-stand-there-frozen-like-statues-with-our-lips-together kissing that seems to be so prevalent in dramas these days. Kimutaku captures emotion well.

phalaenopsys

Post by phalaenopsys » Aug 18th, '09, 00:28

I agree that he isn't the best japanese actor but for sure he is the best of all johnny's and one of the best of his generation despite they give him mostly the same role coz they know it will be a success. But the guy can act and the best drama i have watched is Karei naru ichizoku where you can actually see his talent. And of all the dramas i have watched he is maybe the only one who kiss the partner or try to, more like a human being and not a robot.
He has more a natural talent than acting technique but if he got the right role he actually can do a great job.

tkah

Post by tkah » Aug 18th, '09, 00:53

There is obviously something that keeps him on top. Can't be bad acting. Can't be bad singing. Can't be bad looks. I think he rocks. He is the reason I keep coming back for more. Want bad acting? Go look at a Thailand drama. They are beyond brutal.

chrysanthemum

Post by chrysanthemum » Aug 18th, '09, 01:39

Nemureru Mori! (A Sleeping Forest.) That's the first thing I ever saw him in. He was totally creepy and I loved it! :D His hat is perfect for adding to his creepiness. And Nemureri Mori is different in that it's a murder mystery... not just a common romance. But... I love him in everything he's in. Some sort of magnetism he has makes him enjoyable to watch.

sad clown

Post by sad clown » Aug 18th, '09, 01:52

kuro570 wrote:Oh come on ppl Takuya is nowhere the best actor.. He can play a variety of roles? Come on this guy plays the same role in everything, like literally the same role. >.>
hi again

i agree with u about that he played similar roles

but that doesn't mean that he is not the best

cuz for example al-pacino

he is the best for alot of ppl

although he haven't played a very different role each time
always u feel this is al-pacino whos acting

also he has nominated for an oscar for the same role and same character in (the godfather 1 and 2 ).

similarity of roles means that he can't choose or he couldn't fide abother good roles

takuya , this guy has blown my mind
he really did

he is one of the type that u want to be like

and u want to have his roles .

don't forget that most important is entertainment

if the actor doesn't entertain u with his drama

doesn't matter if he has varity of roles

am i right ?

ja

el_canuck

Post by el_canuck » Aug 18th, '09, 01:56

Now this is a tough question
I am torn between Pride, Long Vacation, CHANGE,Hero.
Pride was the first Takuya that I saw and I am a hockey player. Also love the Queen Theme Song
The wife likes Hero.
#1 PRIDE

Ender's Girl

Post by Ender's Girl » Aug 18th, '09, 02:02

Hedgehog wrote:Nobody likes Love Generation? I like Long Vacation and Love Generation the best, the dramas that he's done in recent years doesn't appeal to me much for some reason.

I do!!! I do!!! *waves hand furiously* :lol:
Hedgehog wrote: I did not finish watching Beautiful Life, cause I found out what's the ending halfway through the show... bah~ completely killed my interest in the show.
That... sucks. :cry: But still... it's... All. About. The Journey, man! :thumright:
nnnc wrote:I agree he's not the best actor, but I would say he's among one of the very few good Japanese male actors. He can emote really well with his eyes and body languages, the ability that many of the current young actors obviously lack......

I really do think he can play a variety of roles, but he hasn't been given that much opportunity. He has been casted to play the same type of role over and over but I think he also gave different details to each of his characters. Halu from Pride was clearly different from Jiro (Engine), even though they shared certain traits and personalities. For me, Karei Naru Ichizoku's Manpyo Teppei was a role that showed his versatility as an actor. His role in the movie Buchi no Ichibun was also not the typical "Kimutaku" role, and I think his acting in that movie was excellent.
I agree. :cheers: (Have not seen Karei Naru Ichizoku yet, though I have it on queue. Saving (what many say is) his best performance for last. Still got a couple more dramas to go before diving into Karei.... :-) )

Judging by his body of work, true--Kimura isn't the kind of actor who completely, wholly, utterly disappears into a role so that one character is completely unrecognizable from the next (and very few actors can pull off something like that, hello Daniel Day-Lewis & Co., may you live forever lol). Kimura may not be a great actor, but he's a darn good one, I'll give him that. I have yet to see a Kimura performance that didn't leave me feeling satisfied. It can be argued that what he's really good at is playing different facets of himself, but whatever it is that he does--it WORKS for me, and I'm sure it works just fine for most of you here. I think of his iconic roles (Halu, Kuryu, Teppei, Senna, Shuji) and I realize there isn't a thing about those portrayals that I wish he had done differently. And even if those vintage Kimura mannerisms, facial tics, articulation style, etc. do carry across different roles, each character is still wholly is own person. He has the ability to make you believe in his characters, whether the drama is as labyrinthine as Sora Kara..., or as lightweight as Good Luck!. :D

Another thing is that his... Kimura-ness--his being Kimura, with all that boundless appeal and charisma--sometimes gets in the way of disappearing into a character. The same way that Tom Cruise and Julia Roberts can't completely shed their TomCruise-ness and JuliaRoberts-ness, respectively, when they play a part. :scratchchin: Hope the analogy makes sense. :-)

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Aug 18th, '09, 02:04

sad clown wrote:
hi again

i agree with u about that he played similar roles

but that doesn't mean that he is not the best

cuz for example al-pacino

he is the best for alot of ppl

although he haven't played a very different role each time
always u feel this is al-pacino whos acting

also he has nominated for an oscar for the same role and same character in (the godfather 1 and 2 ).

similarity of roles means that he can't choose or he couldn't fide abother good roles

takuya , this guy has blown my mind
he really did

he is one of the type that u want to be like

and u want to have his roles .

don't forget that most important is entertainment

if the actor doesn't entertain u with his drama

doesn't matter if he has varity of roles

am i right ?

ja
I know what you mean and Takuya is a good actor especially in the love dramas. It's just I wish he would get different roles since I can really imagine him in some action or dark/mystery dramas. I was mad when I watched Koori no hana because I thought he would be the perfect person to play as the dark/secretive/scheming husband, but instead we get this ass hat Sakai Masato (Who I hate with a fiery passion)

sad clown

Post by sad clown » Aug 18th, '09, 02:41

Ender's Girl wrote:

I agree. :cheers: (Have not seen Karei Naru Ichizoku yet, though I have it on queue. Saving (what many say is) his best performance for last. Still got a couple more dramas to go before diving into Karei.... :-) )

Judging by his body of work, true--Kimura isn't the kind of actor who completely, wholly, utterly disappears into a role so that one character is completely unrecognizable from the next (and very few actors can pull off something like that, hello Daniel Day-Lewis & Co., may you live forever lol). Kimura may not be a great actor, but he's a darn good one, I'll give him that. I have yet to see a Kimura performance that didn't leave me feeling satisfied. It can be argued that what he's really good at is playing different facets of himself, but whatever it is that he does--it WORKS for me, and I'm sure it works just fine for most of you here. I think of his iconic roles (Halu, Kuryu, Teppei, Senna, Shuji) and I realize there isn't a thing about those portrayals that I wish he had done differently. And even if those vintage Kimura mannerisms, facial tics, articulation style, etc. do carry across different roles, each character is still wholly is own person. He has the ability to make you believe in his characters, whether the drama is as labyrinthine as Sora Kara..., or as lightweight as Good Luck!. :D

Another thing is that his... Kimura-ness--his being Kimura, with all that boundless appeal and charisma--sometimes gets in the way of disappearing into a character. The same way that Tom Cruise and Julia Roberts can't completely shed their TomCruise-ness and JuliaRoberts-ness, respectively, when they play a part. :scratchchin: Hope the analogy makes sense. :-)

nice sayin

and offcourse it depend on the test for each fan

and for me he is really the best

and being the best dosn't mean perfection

and about danny-lewis

his character in ( gangs of new york )

and in ( there will be blood ) are kind of similar

ja

sad clown

Post by sad clown » Aug 18th, '09, 02:44

kuro570 wrote:

I know what you mean and Takuya is a good actor especially in the love dramas. It's just I wish he would get different roles since I can really imagine him in some action or dark/mystery dramas. I was mad when I watched Koori no hana because I thought he would be the perfect person to play as the dark/secretive/scheming husband, but instead we get this ass hat Sakai Masato (Who I hate with a fiery passion)

have u seen gift ?

there is some action

and it is quite good drama

thanx

Ender's Girl

Post by Ender's Girl » Aug 18th, '09, 02:45

sherriebes wrote:The first Japanese drama that I watched was Takuya Kimura's Good Luck!. and I fell in love with him.

What else can you recommend among other drama series that he did?
I suppose you can group Kimura's dramas (since the early '90s... wow, that's a LOOOONG time to be making dramas, huh? just goes to show how strong his staying power in this business is, rightfully so) into genres, if you will. (I'm not including the period dramas that he did, just the contemporary stuff.) Since Good Luck! was your first, let's start with that. Good Luck! is considered one of his "TomCruise-era dramas" (as a user on another forum, Belleza, called them), which are rom-coms or light dramedies centered around "exciting" professions such as aviation or sports. So you might want to give the other dramas in this genre a try.

KIMURA AS TOM CRUISE:

Good Luck! (TBS, 2003)- Well, you've already seen this. My personal rating: 7/10

Pride (Fuji TV, 2004) - Now this is among my ultimate faves, and the drama that effectively turned me into yet another statistic in this One Nation Under KimuTaku, lol. Kimura is a pro hockey player here, and the drama is about the dynamics within his team and with his coach, as well as romance between Kimura's character (Halu) and Aki, an employee of the company that owns the hockey team. Halu's teammates are a riot, and his love story with Aki is one of the best-written I've seen in any drama. :wub: My personal rating: 9/10

Engine (Fuji TV, 2005) - Kimura plays an F3 racer who gets fired from his team in Europe and returns to Japan where he learns that his dad and older sister have converted their house into a foster home. The love interest is one of the teachers at the foster home. Don't expect much romance, which is just as well because they don't have much chemistry. :x But the KIDS at the foster home are THE BEST!!!!! Kimura is probably at his comedic best in this drama (maybe aside from Change), and his interactions with the kids create the funniest (as well as the most touching) moments in the story. The child actors are also a revelation, because they're all such naturals. But this drama is also the point at which Kimura starts to age, as in really really age. In the opening scene alone, I was like, WTF! Barely a year after Pride and he already looks SO MUCH OLDER!!!! Sorry to say that Kimura has not aged well. :crazy: My personal rating: 7/10

KIMURA AS LOVE-SEX-MAGIC-ROCK'N'ROLL GOLDEN GOD-HEARTTHROB: :w000t: (circa mid- to late 90s)

Long Vacation (Fuji TV, 1996) - This was probably THE seminal drama of the '90s (and a ratings monster, at that), which raised the bar for romantic ensemble dramas. This is also Kitagawa Eriko (in-demand drama writer and long-time Kimura collaborator) at the top of her game, because the drama is so even-toned, the dialogue is a gem in itself, and the romance dynamic between the two leads is developed so beautifully. Kimura plays Senna, an introverted aspiring classical pianist, whie Yamaguchi Tomoko is a much older, washed-up model who just got dumped on her wedding day. Needless to say, their sexual tension sizzles despite their 7-year age gap. The rest of the ensemble cast are pretty good, as well. After watching this drama I wanted to jump straight into the Pacific and start swimming for Japan, lollll. :lol Oh, and watch out for the opening credits, where a slim, mop-haired Kimura wearing a Live Aid t-shirt jams on his guitar with his co-stars on that basketball court by the bay. Classic. My personal rating: 10/10

Love Generation (Fuji TV, 1997) - Okay, now for the total Kimura SexLoveMojo, lol... Watch this. This romantic drama got even higher ratings than Long Vacation, and effectively secured Kimura's status as Gen-X Poster Boy and Heartthrob for the entire female demographic of the Nihonjin Nation. If you just want a story that really, really focuses on "The Anatomy of a Relationship," and is unencumbered by all those nonessential trappings (haha) like... sports and politics and airplanes and orphanages and racetracks and legal stuff and amnesia and piano-playing and finance and murder and forensics and hairdressing......... If you just want a straightforward love story between two twenty-somethings, and all the relationship issues wherewithal, then LoveGen should be IT. It's cute, it's funny, it's bittersweet, it's heartbreaking, it's honest, it's romantic without the mush, it's maddening, it's sexy, it's flawed, it's beautiful. You will also get the full experience of the Kimura Takuya + Matsu Takako "Golden Combi" (as the fans call them), sort of the Ultimate Jdorama Supercouple/Love Team of all time. Their chemistry is simply amazing, and both are such good actors that you really do appreciate and enjoy all their scenes and moments together. They' ve co-starred in other productions, but LoveGen remains the mother lode of the KimuMatsu experience. My personal rating: 10/10

DARK KIMURA: (to showcase his range as an actor)

Gift (Fuji TV, 1997) - I have not watched this mystery/thriller, but have heard it's very good. It didn't rate very well, but it's still considered a cult favorite by many.

Nemureru Mori / A Sleeping Forest (Fuji TV, 1998) - A dark, modern-day fairy tale within a murder-mystery framework. I enjoyed it for the most part (being a fan of murder-mysteries in general), although the ending was highly unsatisfying for me. Still, watch it if you want to see Kimura trying to stretch his acting range. He's a *little* bit self-conscious in this drama, but in some moments he really, really shines. My personal rating: 6/10

Sora Kara Furu Ichioku no Hoshi / A Million Stars Falling from the Sky (Fuji TV, 2002) - Arguably Kimura's darkest, most complex role I've seen him in. Don't watch this if you're in the mood for light, breezy fluff, obviously. The drama's overall tone is rather sordid and depressing, and the denouement does NOT go down smoothly. You're in for a helluva ride here, so buckle up and brace for impact. :shocked: My personal rating: 8/10

Karei naru Ichizoku / The Grand Family (TBS, 2007) - I have this on DVD, but am saving this for the very last, because I've heard nothing but praise for this ensemble drama. Kimura plays the son of a wealthy family, and many have said that he held up really well against the actor playing the father, who is this highly revered veteran actor in Japan. If that doesn't say something about Kimura's acting chops, I don't know what does. :clap:

KIMURA AS THE HERO OF THE DAY: (template formula: he plays an idiosyncratic nonconformist whom his colleagues easily write off and underestimate, but who ends up saving the day... and who ultimately earns everyone's grudging respect and admiration)

Hero (Fuji TV, 2001) - Kimura's highest-rating drama ever, and one of the highest in recent Jdorama history. I had a blast watching this, and have posted my review somewhere in this site, so I'm obviously not going to repeat myself here. :P My personal rating: 10/10

Change (Fuji TV, 2008) - Maybe Change bit off a tad more than it could chew, as most political fairy tales are prone to doing. I read a comment somewhere (spcnet.tv or jdorama.com, I think) saying that Change felt like a 10-year-old schoolboy had been given a textbook on Japanese politics, and was told to go write a script. Hehehe. I'm rather inclined to agree. :lol But Kimura does some great comedy all throughout, so that's a good thing. My personal rating: 6/10

Mr. Brain (TBS, 2009) - This is his newest, in which he plays this bumbling neuroscientist who inadvertently ends up cracking the most difficult cases. Same old banana, heh. I have yet to watch this, although the reviews have mostly been mixed. Maybe Japan is getting tired of seeing him in "unlikely hero" roles, eh? Come to think of it, Kimura has NOT done a romantic drama since Pride, waaay back in 2004. :cussing: I say it's about time he went back to his romantic drama roots, because it's what he does BEST. I know he wants to test the limits of being a serious actor and all that stuff (and I hope he still gets to), but the best Kimura is still romantic lead Kimura.

Which brings me to a drama that doesn't seem to fit any of the preceding genres, mainly because it's the only Kimura drama that can be categorized as a
MELODRAMA.

Beautiful Life (TBS, 2000) - Kitagawa Eriko (Long Vacation, Sora Kara Furu...) wrote this wonderful gem of a drama about an unlikely romance between a driven, difficult stylist and a wheelchair-bound woman. Added bonus: the end credits sequence (which can stand alone as a music video) are the BEST I've seen in ANY drama. Great OST, too. I loved, loved, loved this drama. I hope you will, too. My personal rating: 9/10

Which leaves us with the question: is there anything Kimura's done that was a dud? Hahaha... Quite a few, I must say. Steer clear of the following, unless you have absolutely nothing better to watch:

Concerto / Kyosokyoku (TBS, 1996) - This drama effectively put me to sleep before the first episode was even over. Zzzzzzzzz. Bad writing, uninspired direction, characters that don't do anything for you. Why bother? Lol. Mebbe I'll finish this... someday......

Asunaro Hakusho (Fuji TV, 1993) - This drama is the earliest work of Kimura's that I've seen, and his talent shines amid this drippy little sleazefest of a campus soap opera.

So, that's pretty much it from my end. Enjoy your Kimura. 8)
Last edited by Ender's Girl on Aug 19th, '09, 00:09, edited 2 times in total.

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Aug 18th, '09, 03:02

sad clown wrote:
kuro570 wrote:

have u seen gift ?

there is some action

thanx
Yes I watched "Gift" what action you're talking about? It had even less action than Sukeban Deka aka Yo Yo Girl and that's sad. I for one hated that drama for a multitude of reasons. He just didn't seem to fit well in this one as well.

sad clown

Post by sad clown » Aug 18th, '09, 03:11

kuro570 wrote:
sad clown wrote:
kuro570 wrote:

have u seen gift ?

there is some action

thanx
Yes I watched "Gift" what action you're talking about? It had even less action than Sukeban Deka aka Yo Yo Girl and that's sad. I for one hated that drama for a multitude of reasons. He just didn't seem to fit well in this one as well.

ok man take it easy :salut:

there is some action in gift

and maybe takuya dosn't like action drama

and i am also hope to see action drama for him

cuz he really has what it takes.

nice to meet ya man

i want to know whos ur favorite actor , if u don't mind

dnault

Post by dnault » Aug 18th, '09, 03:12

Ender's Girl wrote:Concerto / Kyosokyoku (TBS, 1996) - This drama effectively put me to sleep before the first episode was even over. Zzzzzzzzz. Bad writing, uninspired direction, characters that don't do anything for you. Why bother? Lol. Mebbe I'll finish this... someday......
Oh, I dunno... fans of The Fountainhead may appreciate it. Loved your reviews, BTW :-)

PiaHawk

Post by PiaHawk » Aug 18th, '09, 03:26

Long vacation is my favorite, I loved watching Kimura and the female lead together. I also like Kimu's quirky nerdy characters in CHANGE and Mr Brain.

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Aug 18th, '09, 03:37

@sad clown My favorite actor is Yamada Takayuki. You might ask why and its because hes a good actor that can play dark/scheming and romantic roles really well like in Byakuyakou (which is my favorite drama) he can also play fighting roles really good like in Crows zero or even a geek like in densha otoko. He's also looks really kool when the drama and role he's playing permits it. Also many of his dramas (that I know he has really no control over) are usually very good and the movies usually aren't a disappointment.

evercool

Post by evercool » Aug 18th, '09, 03:58

imo MR Brain has to be the most "different" role he has ever played and the best. but honestly no he isn't that good of an actor he isn't the worst but he's not the top of the crop either. I watched "the Great Family" it was the same person from "CHange" "Hero" "Engine" and all the other shows i have and haven't watched. i'm not saying he can't stretch his acting chops but Japan don't have the best writers compared to countries so i doubt he ever will if he doesn't break out from it or push the envelop if he is that seriously about proving himself (which I think he is) . But from seeing what I have so far it looks like he is getting better with age so hopefully his next work will prove that he is the best but so far his looks is what keep me coming back and SMAP and his personality.

sad clown

Post by sad clown » Aug 18th, '09, 04:11

kuro570 wrote:@sad clown My favorite actor is Yamada Takayuki. You might ask why and its because hes a good actor that can play dark/scheming and romantic roles really well like in Byakuyakou (which is my favorite drama) he can also play fighting roles really good like in Crows zero or even a geek like in densha otoko. He's also looks really kool when the drama and role he's playing permits it. Also many of his dramas (that I know he has really no control over) are usually very good and the movies usually aren't a disappointment.

i see

nice choice :thumright:

byakoyakou is great drama it is really good

and Yamada Takayuki pulled that role off

i don't remember him in densha otoko

and i only saw byakoyakou

thanx bro

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Aug 18th, '09, 04:21

sad clown wrote:
kuro570 wrote:@sad clown My favorite actor is Yamada Takayuki. You might ask why and its because hes a good actor that can play dark/scheming and romantic roles really well like in Byakuyakou (which is my favorite drama) he can also play fighting roles really good like in Crows zero or even a geek like in densha otoko. He's also looks really kool when the drama and role he's playing permits it. Also many of his dramas (that I know he has really no control over) are usually very good and the movies usually aren't a disappointment.

i see

nice choice :thumright:

byakoyakou is great drama it is really good

and Yamada Takayuki pulled that role off

i don't remember him in densha otoko

and i only saw byakoyakou

thanx bro
He was in the Densha Otoko movie, not the drama ><

Kakijun

Post by Kakijun » Aug 18th, '09, 05:41

Umm... Hero!

Still haven't seen Pride OR Long Vacation though. I think I'm allergic to old tv shows

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Aug 18th, '09, 05:49

Wow lots of fellow Kimura Takuya fans :D My favorites are:

1. Beautiful Life
2. Engine
3. Change
4. Pride
5. Long Vacation
6. Mr. Brain
7. Million Stars Falling From the Sky (ending is shocking and that's not a good thing)
8. Love Generation (it's the girl's role that got on my nerves)

Hero (only saw 1st episode but too boring, got annoyed with the background music, hmm everybody seems to like it so much I need to have more patience)

Karei Naru Ichizoku (Yes, heard lots of praises about it but still need to watch like 6 more episodes, the dad frustrates me)

Gift (still in queue)

nnnc

Post by nnnc » Aug 18th, '09, 06:07

Kakijun wrote:Umm... Hero!

Still haven't seen Pride OR Long Vacation though. I think I'm allergic to old tv shows
Hero(the series:2001) was older than Pride(2004), so if you're ok with Hero I think Pride can work for you too.

And if you can get by your allergy :mrgreen:, I really recommend watching Long Vacation. It's my first J-dorama and after all the dramas I've watched, Long Vacation remains as my favorite drama of all time. The lead actress was very charming and their chemistry was also amazing. (I even think it's better than KimuraMatsu's chemistry).

Long Vacation is the reason I watch and like Buzzer Beat because they give the same vibe. Actually I read somewhere that it was intentional as they had the same director and it was said that they want to pay tribute to LV. But Long Vacation is also the reason I can never love Buzzer Beat like I love Long Vacation, no matter how adorable Keiko's Riko is, or how nice the story flows. LV's Minami was awesome and Kimura as Sena was just great.

emmy21

Post by emmy21 » Aug 18th, '09, 16:08

My all time favourite is Long Vacation. I still love re-watching it even after so many years. The chemistry between Kimura and Yamaguchi Tomoko was really amazing.

I think Kimura doesn't get the credit he deserves cos it's easy to say he's just a pop idol, and he's just playing different variations of the same role. I think he makes each role look easy because of how naturally he assumes each character and makes it his own. There's just something very natural and charismatic about him, and even though I'm not a huge Kimura fan, I really do enjoy watching him in dramas, smapxsmap and concerts.

indo_no_tenshi

Post by indo_no_tenshi » Aug 18th, '09, 17:15

Long Vacation is on the top of my list, followed by Sora Kara Furu Ichioku no Hoshi, Beautiful Life, Pride, Hero, Karei Naru Ichizoku, Change, Mr. Brain, Engine, Good Luck, Gift..

Downloading Nemureru Mori..it stucks at 14%... :cry:

TaroTard

Post by TaroTard » Aug 18th, '09, 17:32

Good Luck and Karei Naru Ichizoku. Good Luck was my first KimuTaku drama and I just love it, it has a bit of everything. Karei Naru Ichizoku is just incredible I can't watch it over and over but it is very good and Kimu's acting is just beautiful =D

Ender's Girl

Post by Ender's Girl » Aug 19th, '09, 00:25

dnault wrote:
Ender's Girl wrote:Concerto / Kyosokyoku (TBS, 1996) - This drama effectively put me to sleep before the first episode was even over. Zzzzzzzzz. Bad writing, uninspired direction, characters that don't do anything for you. Why bother? Lol. Mebbe I'll finish this... someday......
Oh, I dunno... fans of The Fountainhead may appreciate it. Loved your reviews, BTW :-)
Lol, I didn't even know this was (loosely?) based on The Fountainhead, since I'm not really into Ayn Rand. But thanks for the FYI. :salut: Well, in that case, she must be turning in her grave now, haha. (Unless she's still alive, that is. :whistling:)

mowgwie

Post by mowgwie » Aug 20th, '09, 05:50

Nemureru Mori, definitely! Followed by Gift (a personal favorite), Million Stars, Pride and Engine.

I thought Mr Brain was a little strange, didn't much like Love Generation - the lead female character's constant indecision drove me up the wall!

SunStar

Post by SunStar » Aug 20th, '09, 08:18

PRIDE! PRIDE! PRIDE!!!

that is the best one i've seen of him and i just love how he is in there.... super hott!!! especially as a bad-a@@ hockey player too....

rambutan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rambutan » Aug 20th, '09, 08:34

Long Vacation, then Pride.

sakura_leaves

As for me...

Post by sakura_leaves » Aug 21st, '09, 00:32

I check and click every single one of them.

I found Kimura through Mr.Brain which was brilliant and educational all at once, but i loved him in gift...freaked me out.....Million Stars, Pride, Love generation, Long Vacation, Engine, Good Luck, CHANGE! i loved change Hero (SP and Movie) Concerto, Nemureru Mori, beautiful life, All of them are phenomenal!

>_> he's just sexy no matter what he does...he and YamaPi are rival to which one is number one.

Gierma

Post by Gierma » Aug 21st, '09, 22:49

Kimura and YamaPi? Rivals? How are they rivals?
Kimura is an actor. Well I understand that he's also a singer but he also acts!!! I personaly don't think that he's that good looking but he has the ability to win you over with his acting and that makes him irresistible.
Now Yamapi is without a doubt very handsome.... and...... thats about it!!! He's very hot and he's young and so far his acting skills are on the level of.... Mr-I act all human reactions with the same look-Wentworth Miller (Michael Scofield Prison Break) You can't tell, is happy is he sad is he anxious is he mad????? Is he deeply moved or is he having trouble with his stomach? Who knows???
Noone knows!!!
Now,that's not acting...Yamapi is not an actor, he's a handsome little boy.

Well maybe I'm too harsh by putting him in the same level with Wentworth Miller, maybe he's a level above him...now that I'm rethinking it maybe he has two looks for acting his roles. :scratch:

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 21st, '09, 23:26

LONG VOCATION

i really liked this drama when i watched it for the 1st time so i decided to watch some more of kimutaku dramas. unfortunately was disappointed with Love Generation and Concerto and did not like Karei naru Ichizoku (with all its high profile). but again i started liking him in Mr Brain as he was very kakkoii there. :P

ladynorthstar
Italy

Post by ladynorthstar » Aug 22nd, '09, 17:19

my favourite is and will always be Good Luck, but Mr.Brain and Gift are awesomely good too!
Especially Gift deserves a look: it's quite Ikebukuro West Gate Park-like (so if you liked it you'll love Gift) and the level of violence is quite high for a Japanese Drama, Kimura's character is far from being positive (I love when he uses the knife =ç=) and the plot is awesome! ... and Kimura is bloody and naked really often... :3

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Aug 22nd, '09, 17:49

ladynorthstar wrote:my favourite is and will always be Good Luck, but Mr.Brain and Gift are awesomely good too!
Especially Gift deserves a look: it's quite Ikebukuro West Gate Park-like (so if you liked it you'll love Gift) and the level of violence is quite high for a Japanese Drama, Kimura's character is far from being positive (I love when he uses the knife =ç=) and the plot is awesome! ... and Kimura is bloody and naked really often... :3
I haven't actually watched "Gift" myself but since you mentioned it to be sorta of similar to IWG I decided to give it a try. I assume it lacks the comedy of it though? ><

ladynorthstar
Italy

Post by ladynorthstar » Aug 22nd, '09, 18:44

kuro570 wrote:
ladynorthstar wrote:my favourite is and will always be Good Luck, but Mr.Brain and Gift are awesomely good too!
I haven't actually watched "Gift" myself but since you mentioned it to be sorta of similar to IWG I decided to give it a try. I assume it lacks the comedy of it though? ><
no no, it has roughly the same amount of comedy too!
it's similar because it's the same kind of mix of comedy and violent and adult themes, that's why it reminded me a lot if IWG *nods*

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Aug 22nd, '09, 18:51

Sweet, I can't wait to finish Dling so I can watch it. ^.^

Daylight

Post by Daylight » Aug 23rd, '09, 01:15

Exactly. Which is why I honestly don't enjoy his dramas. Sure, he's hot, but I always wonder why his dramas are so popular...

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Aug 23rd, '09, 05:50

There's always gonna be haters!! Anyways, if you don't like him, why are you guys even posting in a thread all about Kimura Takuya?

I keep reading some of people's comments that he can't act and always plays same role .... and you guys wonder why most if not all of his dramas are top rated. Well because he has the charisma that pulls audiences to the screen and make them root for his characters even when he's the bad guy. He makes his roles seem so natural and that's probably why you think he's always portraying the same type of person.

He is the reason why I started watching Japanese dramas to begin with ... first Jdorama ever was Beautiful Life and it's still my favorite to this day.

plain_love

Post by plain_love » Aug 23rd, '09, 06:02

i have to say Long Vacation, its the first dorama i watched and give me great impression of jdorama

Phillykat

Post by Phillykat » Aug 23rd, '09, 07:20

I've only seen about 4 of his dramas, but I can honestly say One Million Stars Falling from the Sky is one of the best shows I've ever seen from any country. Here in the US there's a show on PBS called Mystery that airs British mystery series and mini series. If they'd branch out a bit, One Million Stars would fit perfectly. I also think Mr. Brain with just slight changes would have a large viewership here, too.

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Aug 23rd, '09, 12:53

garnet07 wrote:There's always gonna be haters!! Anyways, if you don't like him, why are you guys even posting in a thread all about Kimura Takuya?

I keep reading some of people's comments that he can't act and always plays same role .... and you guys wonder why most if not all of his dramas are top rated. Well because he has the charisma that pulls audiences to the screen and make them root for his characters even when he's the bad guy. He makes his roles seem so natural and that's probably why you think he's always portraying the same type of person.

He is the reason why I started watching Japanese dramas to begin with ... first Jdorama ever was Beautiful Life and it's still my favorite to this day.
No seriously this guy acts the same, its not because he makes it seem natural its because he really does act the same in every drama. Lets take Nagase Tomoya, he usually plays as some sort of tough guy but he could play this naturally in serious dramas or even play a witty tough guy and be funny like in IWGP, he also played the role of a tough moronic yakuza like in My Boss My Hero. Those two examples show how you can be the same but add variation to your acting.

On the other hand you have Kimura here who always and I mean ALWAYS act as the smart, kool, laid back, loner, mysterious guy that attracts the most insane of girls. Now in terms of liking him, I do cause he is a good actor but the lack of variation in roles is a kinda let down because when you see his name in a drama you pretty much know how he would act and he becomes pretty much predictable. Unless you like predictable dramas and acting then its perfect for you but I for one like to see what type of acting a particular actor/actress would be like in various dramas, like Ayase Haruka from Byakuyakou, to Shikaotoko Aoniyoshi and Sekai no Chuushin de, Ai wo Sakebu. the acting here is miles apart from each other and shows her skills to play a variety of roles.

Now I like him but I wouldn't say he's the best compared to many other actors like Nagase, Yamada, Ohno Satoshi. Also if your into him mainly for his looks (which there is nothing wrong with that) then you miss out some of the key points of being a good actor. I mean I won't lie and say I never watched a whole drama I didn't like because an actress was hawt, like the girl in Kimi Hannin but I wouldn't say shes the best.. at all just for that. A good actor/actress in my mind is someone who can play their role convincingly, naturally, can sport themselves in various types of dramas and who basically can keep me from guessing their actions, and being attractive does help as well but not always as some of my favorite are kinda... old like Yonekura Ryoko ><

nnnc

Post by nnnc » Aug 23rd, '09, 13:16

kuro570 wrote: On the other hand you have Kimura here who always and I mean ALWAYS act as the smart, kool, laid back, loner, mysterious guy that attracts the most insane of girls. Now in terms of liking him, I do cause he is a good actor but the lack of variation in roles is a kinda let down because when you see his name in a drama you pretty much know how he would act and he becomes pretty much predictable.
I agree that watching Pride, Engine, Good Luck, and Hero can give this impression. You may think he acts the same in these drama because basically they just gave him the same type of role that you just described.

But have you watched Long Vacation? Kimura's Sena definitely was not a smart, kool, laid back, loner, mysterious guy that attracts the most insane of girls. Sena was uncool, shy, awkward, and weak. He's also definitely not smart, kool, laid back, and loner when he acted his roles in Karei Naru Ichizoku, Chuushingura 1/47, Bushi no Ichibun, Beautiful Life, 2046, Asunaru Hakusho, and even CHANGE. Kimura acted in tons of various dramas/movies and he really did various types of roles and I must say he did them pretty good. I think saying that he "always" act the same in "every" drama is a bit exaggerated when he had roles that were totally different than his famous role.

And just because I'm confused. Have you or haven't you watch Gift? In one post you said you watched it and didn't see any action but in another post you said you didn't actually watch it and waiting for the download :scratch:

And Kimura Takuya is a better actor than Ohno Satoshi.

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Aug 23rd, '09, 14:21

As for Gift I watched it up to episode 4 and quit, up to that episode I didn't see any action or fight scenes. Yesterday after I read the comment on it I thought maybe deeper into the drama there would be some more action to it so I downloaded it again. While yes I haven't watched all his dramas all the way through I usually did watch at least 2-4 episodes before quitting them like all dramas I'm watching for the first time. Thats of course is because if it doesn't hold me through there I usually wont bother with the rest.

Also you mentioned Karei naru Ichizoku with him being shy and such, I don't recall him being like that at all, shy? Densha otoko that guy was shy, awkward and really weird and as for Beautiful life he was exactly the same! in what way was he not from his actions? oO
Hell you forgot to mention along with Pride, Engine, Good Luck, Hero, to add Nemureru Mori, Otooto, Sono Toki, A Million Falling Stars, "to a lesser extent" Konyaand, Boku ga Boku de, Kyosokyoku all his dramas he always fit atleast 2-4 of the descriptions I mentioned, especially with the loner, girl crazed, kool guy thing.

As for Ohno Satoshi being a better actor than Kimura you can just take that one at face value as what I deem a good actor, Ohno Satoshi has played many various roles in many dramas with them being somewhat different in some of his dramas. Then again whatever its my opinion based on what I like which is why I say good actor for "me" or if you like that then its good for "you".

nnnc

Post by nnnc » Aug 23rd, '09, 18:51

kuro570 wrote: Also you mentioned Karei naru Ichizoku with him being shy and such, I don't recall him being like that at all, shy? Densha otoko that guy was shy, awkward and really weird and as for Beautiful life he was exactly the same! in what way was he not from his actions? oO
Hell you forgot to mention along with Pride, Engine, Good Luck, Hero, to add Nemureru Mori, Otooto, Sono Toki, A Million Falling Stars, "to a lesser extent" Konyaand, Boku ga Boku de, Kyosokyoku all his dramas he always fit atleast 2-4 of the descriptions I mentioned, especially with the loner, girl crazed, kool guy thing.
I didn't say he was shy in Karei Naru. I said Long Vacation's Sena was shy and awkward. ^^" And Karei Naru's Teppei showed the side of him that was not laid back, cool, loner, girl crazed. Teppei was an adult HK-drama type role that is not a typical heartthrob role he played. I didn't mention all the drama he played because I was trying to make the point that he had dramas that he played other types of roles, so I listed those dramas/movies where he played other roles. If we list all his dramas/movies and categorize them into kool/heartthrob role VS other types, it's gonna be too long. So I just listed some of the "other types" to show that he did not act the same in "every" drama as was mentioned.

Kimura Takuya is not a character actor and I agree that he has been type-casted to play the heartthrob role in many dramas simply because he's the biggest real heartthrob in Japan for the past 15 years. It wasn't his fault and I think he really did a great job to differentiate at least a little bit of his characters so that he wasn't strongly identified too much with each character. Both Halu and Jiro are very similar heartthrob roles, but there were enough difference for me to distinguish the two roles, not just by the hairstyle :whistling:)

I think lately he's trying to break away from being type-casted. That's why in the past 4 years we got variety of roles from a blind, low-level bitter samurai in Buchi no Ichibun, to serious tragic HK-drama protagonist in Karei Naru, to nerdy/awkward teacher turned inexperience PM with a good intention in CHANGE. In CHANGE and in Mr. Brain, he obviously was originally casted to play something similar to Hero's Kuryuu. But he's trying to add some details to characteristics of the role to make them not a typical typecast role -- Tsukumo's over-the-top weirdness and Keita's uncool,nerdy self. He can asked the writer/director to do that for him as he's now a veteran, high-rating guaranteed actor. Actually it was reported that he didn't want to do Mr. Brain at first until they changed the role a bit and he demanded to have Karei Naru's director to work in this project. He also played in an artsy, dark, bloody, cult movie -- "I Come with the Rain". Since I haven't watched the movie myself, I couldn't tell whether he's playing a different role in this. But judging from the trailer, I believe it's safe to say that he's not playing a typical cool/laid back/girl crazed role here. Actually, I think you may enjoy watching this movie since it seems to be dark, mysterious and action-packed.

And sorry about the Ohno thing. I should put "For me" or "In my opinion" at the beginning of the sentence in my earlier post. :salut:

wobblywalker

Post by wobblywalker » Aug 23rd, '09, 19:59

I loved Hero and Mr. Brain, and I hope for another season... funny enough I had bought a Yoji Yamada movie awhile back called Love and Honor which he stars in, I've only seen a few of his dramas but wondered if he had the acting chops to do a samurai movie. I just watched it and he was damn good, IMHO, and his fight scenes were great. His role was quite different from the dramas I've seen, more subdued and disciplined. I was impressed. He looked really good!

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Aug 24th, '09, 12:29

nnnc wrote:
kuro570 wrote: Also you mentioned Karei naru Ichizoku with him being shy and such, I don't recall him being like that at all, shy? Densha otoko that guy was shy, awkward and really weird and as for Beautiful life he was exactly the same! in what way was he not from his actions? oO
I didn't say he was shy in Karei Naru. I said Long Vacation's Sena was shy and awkward. ^^" And Karei Naru's Teppei showed the side of him that was not laid back, cool, loner, girl crazed. Teppei was an adult HK-drama type role that is not a typical heartthrob role he played. I didn't mention all the drama he played because I was trying to make the point that he had dramas that he played other types of roles, so I listed those dramas/movies where he played other roles. If we list all his dramas/movies and categorize them into kool/heartthrob role VS other types, it's gonna be too long. So I just listed some of the "other types" to show that he did not act the same in "every" drama as was mentioned.

Kimura Takuya is not a character actor and I agree that he has been type-casted to play the heartthrob role in many dramas simply because he's the biggest real heartthrob in Japan for the past 15 years. It wasn't his fault and I think he really did a great job to differentiate at least a little bit of his characters so that he wasn't strongly identified too much with each character. Both Halu and Jiro are very similar heartthrob roles, but there were enough difference for me to distinguish the two roles, not just by the hairstyle :whistling:)

I think lately he's trying to break away from being type-casted. That's why in the past 4 years we got variety of roles from a blind, low-level bitter samurai in Buchi no Ichibun, to serious tragic HK-drama protagonist in Karei Naru, to nerdy/awkward teacher turned inexperience PM with a good intention in CHANGE. In CHANGE and in Mr. Brain, he obviously was originally casted to play something similar to Hero's Kuryuu. But he's trying to add some details to characteristics of the role to make them not a typical typecast role -- Tsukumo's over-the-top weirdness and Keita's uncool,nerdy self. He can asked the writer/director to do that for him as he's now a veteran, high-rating guaranteed actor. Actually it was reported that he didn't want to do Mr. Brain at first until they changed the role a bit and he demanded to have Karei Naru's director to work in this project. He also played in an artsy, dark, bloody, cult movie -- "I Come with the Rain". Since I haven't watched the movie myself, I couldn't tell whether he's playing a different role in this. But judging from the trailer, I believe it's safe to say that he's not playing a typical cool/laid back/girl crazed role here. Actually, I think you may enjoy watching this movie since it seems to be dark, mysterious and action-packed.

And sorry about the Ohno thing. I should put "For me" or "In my opinion" at the beginning of the sentence in my earlier post. :salut:

I haven't watched any of his movies so I can't say anything about them but if its dark, mystery, horror, or action count me in. ^.^

junebug6272

Post by junebug6272 » Aug 24th, '09, 18:39

My favorite drama of his would have to be Beautiful Life, one the first J-drama I ever saw and the first one that made me cry (that last makeup scene T_T) I think KT showed a vulnerability in this drama that I haven't seen coming from him very much. Asunaro Hakusho is a close second but it was everything about it was soo early 90's I was laughing too hard to really feel emotionally connected to the drama.

As for Hero, Good Luck, Pride, Engine etc. its been awhile since I've seen those dramas and they pretty much indistinguishable in my mind, they were enjoyable to watch at the time, but haven't left a lasting impression.

I'd have to agree with the general sentiment that Kimura Takuya is not that spectacular actor, but I think its also worthwhile to mention that his primary job is being an idol and he's very good at doing that. He's spent the majority of his life cultivating this cool/heartthrob character and selling that image, completely divorcing himself from that would take an extraordinary amount of acting talent. Drama producers capitalize on his idol image so me mostly get the same types of kimutaku dramas,and for the most part those are the kind of dramas that viewers want. Things may change when as he gets older but as long as he's still the reigning sexiest man in japan ( according to AnAn anyway) I wouldn't hold my breath for any new roles for KT.

PiaHawk

Post by PiaHawk » Aug 25th, '09, 14:46

junebug6272 wrote: I'd have to agree with the general sentiment that Kimura Takuya is not that spectacular actor, but I think its also worthwhile to mention that his primary job is being an idol and he's very good at doing that. He's spent the majority of his life cultivating this cool/heartthrob character and selling that image, completely divorcing himself from that would take an extraordinary amount of acting talent. Drama producers capitalize on his idol image so me mostly get the same types of kimutaku dramas,and for the most part those are the kind of dramas that viewers want. Things may change when as he gets older but as long as he's still the reigning sexiest man in japan ( according to AnAn anyway) I wouldn't hold my breath for any new roles for KT.
Totally agree. People forget that being an idol is its own job category in Japan. And also that he has to take the roles that will be popular, and that his agency will let him do. That being said, just because he isnt in a variety of roles doesn't mean he can't do it. I think Kimura's roles have already started to get more interesting as he gets older; I can't wait to see what he does next.

Jhobbit

Post by Jhobbit » Aug 26th, '09, 02:19

I would have to say that Pride is my favourite. I can watch it over again many times. Next, would be Engline and Change.... oh also Hero was good too. I couldn't finish Good Luck or Love Generation. The female lead grated on my nerves.

marts_8

Post by marts_8 » Aug 26th, '09, 06:03

i like pride, next would be good luck then engine

Jaja

Post by Jaja » Aug 29th, '09, 16:06

The first drama I saw was A Million Star falling from the Sky, I cried a lot in the ending. I was intrigue by Takuya's acting ability in Million Star so I look up the internet for his other project. I have seen most of them even the recent Mr. Brain which I did not enjoy. But top on my list are Pride and Beautiful Life.